By oga83

4 years ago

Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 423 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 569 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 208 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TOMJONES (resized).jpg
ACDC Juke Template (resized).jpg
repo (resized).png
36150 (resized).png
Titans-Return-Soundwave-040 (resized).jpg
highscores (resized).jpg
IMAG0520 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170421-180051 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.51.50 PM (resized).png
Ghostbusters (resized).png
batman (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 2467 posts in topic. You are on page 47 of 50.
#2301 8 months ago
Quoted from Zzap:

Looks great! Do these events get written to the serial port, or do you have some custom code running on the CPU board to intercept and forward?

For that demo, I'm parsing mode state that comes out of the serial port on a regular basis and applying some basic logic to identify state transitions.

Separately, I've written a ptrace stub to hook function calls working toward a different demo.

I've had difficulty in compiling gdb for the 2.6.30 kernel running on SPIKE -- that's why I'm curious how jabdoa is doing it.

#2302 8 months ago
Quoted from GreatBug:

For that demo, I'm parsing mode state that comes out of the serial port on a regular basis and applying some basic logic to identify state transitions.
Separately, I've written a ptrace stub to hook function calls working toward a different demo.
I've had difficulty in compiling gdb for the 2.6.30 kernel running on SPIKE -- that's why I'm curious how jabdoa is doing it.

Thanks, I'll have to have a bit of a play with the serial output

#2303 8 months ago
Quoted from GreatBug:

Can you please provide your toolchain info for SPIKE cross-compiling?

I compiled musl libc with gcc-arm-gnuaebi. Then you can statically link anything against musl. Works fine and produces relatively small binaries. Alternative would be to get the ancient libc and glibc from git but i did not want to do that.

Jan

#2304 8 months ago
Quoted from jabdoa:

How removed? Did they strip it from the binary or is it just no longer running on /dev/ttyS0? Should be easy to write a replacement binary. Cross compiling for SPIKE is easy.
Jan

The whole code has been removed on Sam (see here)
Sam is not linux-based and there is no /dev
The driver was embedded into the main program

Cross compiling for Sam is also possible (see here)

#2305 8 months ago

Good to know. They are probably afraid of custom software because that would be hard to detect if somebody asks for warranty. For that reason we are currently rolling our own SPIKE linux distribution (including a standard u-boot boot loader) to be independent of their software. This is also easier to distribute and install.

Rolling a mpf-sam-bridge binary similar to the mpf-spike-bridge (https://github.com/missionpinball/mpf-spike-bridge) would be cool, too. That would allow us to control SAM via a usb-serial. Implementing USB-OTG on the old CPU would probably be a bit hard but besides that it would be fun hack.

Jan

#2306 8 months ago

I've new to the program. I'm a MAC user. I downloaded a trial of crossover and got pinball browser installed. I downloaded the MET bin file from Stern and uploaded into the program. I can see and play the dmd clips, but the sound files will not play and comes up with an error when I try and play them in the program. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.51.50 PM (resized).png

#2307 8 months ago

I'm late to this party. Do I have to use Crossover for Mac or is there a pinball browser version specifically for Mac?

#2308 8 months ago

I downloaded the trial of crossover and can't figure that out either....

#2309 8 months ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I've new to the program. I'm a MAC user. I downloaded a trial of crossover and got pinball browser installed. I downloaded the MET bin file from Stern and uploaded into the program. I can see and play the dmd clips, but the sound files will not play and comes up with an error when I try and play them in the program. Any ideas?

Try to change the sound engine in the Config tab

#2310 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinitration:

I'm late to this party. Do I have to use Crossover for Mac or is there a pinball browser version specifically for Mac?

There is no special version for Mac; you have to use Crossover or a Windows virtual machine.

#2311 8 months ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Did you include .NET in your bottle?

Olivier, what's the minimum version of the .NET framework needed for Pinball Browser?

#2312 8 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

Try to change the sound engine in the Config tab

Thank you. I'll try that.

#2313 8 months ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Did you include .NET in your bottle?
Olivier, what's the minimum version of the .NET framework needed for Pinball Browser?

I think I did. I've never used crossover either, so I could have messed that up. I check that, thanks.

#2314 8 months ago

Ok I'm new to this app and just got a chance to sit down with it last night, so a few newbie questions. I was playing around with my DE Jurassic Park roms and mapped a few samples online.

Maybe it just boils down to not seeing it listed as a supported older game, but:

1) Once I do whatever in the program and close it, I found have to delete my roms and re-extract them, and re point the program to them to prevent the "unknown firmware" error and the sound button not appearing. Is this program modifying my roms even without hitting import/save/etc or is there a temp file/process i can kill to fix it faster.

2)The info on the right of the screen treats most of the info is a whitestar system, but unknown for most fields...is there a way I could update the info to help contribute?

3) Possibly related to #2, a bunch of the samples are repeated 100's of times like the dock horn and shots, and alot of these and blank sounds were updated by another contributor with bookmarks suggesting quotes from NASCAR. Is this normal, or possibly just calls not read right if not supported...or worse, am I submitting stuff online as NASCAR and possibly throwing off the database?

4) I know others have asked about exporting sounds as mp3/wav/etc and mentioned would be restored in future version, but was curious on ETA if any new info.

#2315 8 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

There is no special version for Mac; you have to use Crossover or a Windows virtual machine.

Damn. I have a PC at work, but my security settings won't allow me to run it. Even when I select that I trust the publisher, nothing happens...

#2316 8 months ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

what's the minimum version of the .NET framework needed for Pinball Browser?

#2317 8 months ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

Ok I'm new to this app and just got a chance to sit down with it last night, so a few newbie questions. I was playing around with my DE Jurassic Park roms and mapped a few samples online.

DE games are NOT supported by Pinball Browser yet.
It seems that Pinball Browser is fooled by your roms and wrongly identifies them as Whitestar.
I'll check this when I have some time.

Quoted from Meloyelo51:

1) Once I do whatever in the program and close it, I found have to delete my roms and re-extract them, and re point the program to them to prevent the "unknown firmware" error and the sound button not appearing. Is this program modifying my roms even without hitting import/save/etc or is there a temp file/process i can kill to fix it faster.

No, Pinball Browser does not modify the roms files untill you save them.
The only situation where Pinball Browser commits immediately your changes (without having to save them) is for Spike.

Quoted from Meloyelo51:

2)The info on the right of the screen treats most of the info is a whitestar system, but unknown for most fields...is there a way I could update the info to help contribute?
3) Possibly related to #2, a bunch of the samples are repeated 100's of times like the dock horn and shots, and alot of these and blank sounds were updated by another contributor with bookmarks suggesting quotes from NASCAR. Is this normal, or possibly just calls not read right if not supported...or worse, am I submitting stuff online as NASCAR and possibly throwing off the database?

This is a consequence of wrongly identifying your roms as Whitestar

Quoted from Meloyelo51:

4) I know others have asked about exporting sounds as mp3/wav/etc and mentioned would be restored in future version, but was curious on ETA if any new info.

I'm working on this. Probably in v6.

#2318 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinitration:

Even when I select that I trust the publisher, nothing happens...

Could you check that the process has started ?
I guess that it is hung somewhere, probably trying to check online if a new version is available. Try to disable this feature by editing the following line in Pinball-Browser.xml :
<bCheckVersion>false</bCheckVersion>

#2319 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinitration:

Damn. I have a PC at work, but my security settings won't allow me to run it. Even when I select that I trust the publisher, nothing happens...

Crossover is cheap.

#2320 8 months ago

is anyone else having issues contributing via the button in pinball browser? When I click that Paypal says it's not a valid email address.

#2321 8 months ago

I am having the same problem, I get a error when trying to make the $20 donation on paypal. I get this: We cannot process this transaction because there is a problem with the PayPal email address supplied by the seller.

#2322 8 months ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Crossover is cheap.

Yeah but I can't figure out how to open Pinball Browser with Crossover. It wants me to type in the program name. I do that, but nothing happens. I feel like it should be fairly simple. What am I missing?

#2323 8 months ago

I have watched and read the tutorials and have my song file ready to go. I've donated and have a license key.

- I select the file I want to replace
- I hit import and select the WAVE file I made in audacity
- Nothing happens, the new song does not import

What am I missing?

Update...I figured out. I had the license key wrong.

#2324 8 months ago

Quick question.

Have you all found that the better the source files for songs, the better they sound in the game, or does that matter after the compression and sampling rate is changed?

For example...should I try and start with lossless audio files like flac or is starting with an MP3 ok?

#2325 8 months ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

should I try and start with lossless audio files like flac or is starting with an MP3 ok?

It does not really matter, Pinball Browser will convert it for you.
If the original recording has been made in a lossless format at 24kHz (which is very unlikely), no conversion will be needed.

#2326 8 months ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

When I click that Paypal says it's not a valid email address.

Quoted from davids1024:

I am having the same problem

It seems that there was a transient problem on the Paypal side. Is it solved now ?

[EDIT] It seems that the issue is only partially solved.
It works after a few retries. I have informed the PP support team about this.

#2327 8 months ago

PayPal worked for me, but I had to click the link a couple of times to get their site up.

#2328 7 months ago

Some of the songs I've replaced on Metallica don't start at the beginning of the song. In Pinball browser they start perfectly on time. Is this a setting in the MET code or something?

#2329 7 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

DE games are NOT supported by Pinball Browser yet.
It seems that Pinball Browser is fooled by your roms and wrongly identifies them as Whitestar.
I'll check this when I have some time.

No, Pinball Browser does not modify the roms files untill you save them.
The only situation where Pinball Browser commits immediately your changes (without having to save them) is for Spike.

This is a consequence of wrongly identifying your roms as Whitestar

I'm working on this. Probably in v6.

Thanks for the responses, sounds like my assumptions were correct, but it's nice to hear it from the source! As I was stuck in the olden days of DE, I didn't think the DE->Sega->Stern would make JP a grandfathered whitestar but wanted to make sure lol

#2330 7 months ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Some of the songs I've replaced on Metallica don't start at the beginning of the song. In Pinball browser they start perfectly on time. Is this a setting in the MET code or something?

I've replaced songs on MET several times, and they have always started from the beginning.

#2331 7 months ago

Has anyone started a Macro repository? I'd like to see what some others have done.

#2332 7 months ago
Quoted from Walleyefisher:

Has anyone started a Macro repository? I'd like to see what some others have done.

There should be one in v6

#2333 7 months ago

BTW, do you have any suggestions for the future v6 ?
(don't ask for longer songs because it's not possible )
I already have a list of great features and I'm working full time on this version

#2334 7 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

I already have a list of great features and I'm working full time on this version

Can you share your list of great features?

#2335 7 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

Sidechannel for older SAM games and Spike ?

#2336 7 months ago

I used the windisk32imager utility to make an image of the SD card from Batman66. When I try to read it via v5.97 it gives a "unknown firmware " message. Anyone else have that issue?

#2337 7 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

I used the windisk32imager utility to make an image of the SD card from Batman66. When I try to read it via v5.97 it gives a "unknown firmware " message. Anyone else have that issue?

You can try to start pinball browser in admin mode. I had this message when there was no write access due to limited access rights.

#2338 7 months ago

anyone have step by step instructions on how to get this working on a Mac with crossover? I have crossover installed and am having a hard time with the .net 4.0 install.

#2339 7 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

anyone have step by step instructions on how to get this working on a Mac with crossover? I have crossover installed and am having a hard time with the .net 4.0 install.

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/microsoft-net-framework-40

Click step 2.

#2340 7 months ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/microsoft-net-framework-40
Click step 2.

Thanks for the link, I'm able to open the browser up now but can't play any sound files. Is there something else I need to do ?

#2341 7 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Thanks for the link, I'm able to open the browser up now but can't play any sound files. Is there something else I need to do ?

change the sound engine in the config tab

#2342 7 months ago

Is there a community database or Dropbox where pinside members have their game edits uploaded? If not would that be an idea to get together?

#2343 7 months ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

change the sound engine in the config tab

Thank you, Got it going now!

#2344 7 months ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Is there a community database or Dropbox where pinside members have their game edits uploaded? If not would that be an idea to get together?

Good idea

#2345 7 months ago

Is audacity need to be used to replace songs, or can you just rip them and install in the browser?

#2346 7 months ago

Audacity is not required unless you are doing complicated splicing and edits. You can just use Pinball Browser which will allow you to adjust the selection and will automatically convert to the proper audio format.

#2347 7 months ago

can you only open spike videos with the licensed version? i am getting an error

#2348 7 months ago

@oga83

Hi.
I have been trying a few different code issues for some of my games recently and noticed that there may be a bug in the High Scores section. On my Iron Man it copied the scores into the game but not the names. On a friend's Walking Dead LE it copied the names but not the scores.
I didn't notice this problem on earlier versions.

#2349 7 months ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I have been trying a few different code issues for some of my games recently and noticed that there may be a bug in the High Scores section. On my Iron Man it copied the scores into the game but not the names. On a friend's Walking Dead LE it copied the names but not the scores. I didn't notice this problem on earlier versions.

Someone told me about the score values. It might be related to the minimun and increment values that are specified in the adjustments (if this is confirmed, make sure your new values match these adjustments : for example, do not specify 1,499,000 or 1,500,010 when the minimum is 1,500,000 and the increment 1000). I guess this only affects the most recent firmwares.
I'm not aware of any issues on the names, except that the same name can be shared by different HS (mainly for the default name ABC) : modifying 1 HS name will also affect the others (that share the same name). Unfortunately, this cannot be modified. The only solution is to use the communication patch to modify the realtime HS but not all games are compatible with it.

2 weeks later
#2350 6 months ago

Anyone have any luck modifying their soundtrack for Aerosmith pro yet?
the code drop from Stern contained 2 files, named 'aerosmith-1_02_0.spk.002.000' and 'aerosmith-1_02_0.spk.002.001'.
The new version of Pinball Browser wouldn't recognize the files so i renamed them without the suffix, so that the names end in .spk.
The program now recognizes the files but I get an unknown exception error when trying to open them.
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
$ 9.95
$ 109.99
$ 19.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 63.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Toppers
liorillusion
$ 53.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Overland Park, KS
$ 129.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 21.00
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 224.99
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2467 posts in topic. You are on page 47 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.