Pinside_forum_8106235_0 (resized).png
Pinside_forum_7773109_2 (resized).jpg
229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 216.
#8401 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

That one sucks beyond belief.

So do their spinner decals!

#8402 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Helping a friend with an odd issue on a Stern Galaxy. The “Shoot Again” has two lamps. One on the playfield by the flippers and one in the backbox both controlled by an MCR-106 at Q3. If a lamp is in the playfield or a lamp is in the backbox it work’s correctly. However if both lamps are installed the both are stuck full on. Have tried different lamp boards but the results are the same. Currently has incandescent bulbs but happens with LEDs too. Anyone run into this before? In another thread someone suggested some early Sterns had incorrect wiring from the factory.
Tomorrow will check the bridge board in the cabinet to see if one of the diodes is open or shorted.

So to provide closure on this the problem there was a mistake on one of the connectors going to the rectifier board. Went back over all the wiring and found a blue wire for the controlled lamps was off by 1 pin and in the one for the GI as some suspected. Consider this resolved.

#8403 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Good fortune stopped in my driveway yesterday.
In my best The Price is Right voice. AN EMPTY CAB !! Come on down !

I love Stadium Lights. I like the way they light up the play field. Some will tell you that Stadium Lights will work with the 40 year old low-sidewall cabinets. Yeah, they work---sort of.

This cab is my next project. I am going to either build a Seawitch or a Star Gazer using this high sidewall cabinet and light it up with Stadium Lights.

What should I make it to be? Star Gazer with Stadium Lights? Or Seawitch with Stadium Lights?

[quoted image]

I got the back box as well, but looking at it closer, it will take too much to make work for a Stern so I am just going to scratch build the back box in classic Stern style.

This is pretty cool. Has this been done before?

#8404 1 year ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Home stretch. Anyone know where I can pick up one of those stern coin door decals? Thought Marco had them but can't find them. May be searching for the wrong thing.
[quoted image]

I bought some from Phoenix Arcade. They make high quality products. This is the only place I've found foil start button stickers too.

https://www.phoenixarcade.com/search/node/Stern

#8405 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Pinball Rescue in Australia and K’s Arcade in the US both made the credit button sticker, that is correct size and foil. Both companies closed.

Wow. When did k's arcade close?

#8406 1 year ago
Quoted from kickabit:

I bought some from Phoenix Arcade. They make high quality products. This is the only place I've found foil start button stickers too.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to order a few of both.

#8407 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

So to provide closure on this the problem there was a mistake on one of the connectors going to the rectifier board. Went back over all the wiring and found a blue wire for the controlled lamps was off by 1 pin and in the one for the GI as some suspected. Consider this resolved.

Strange that it seemed to work right with only one bulb in. Thanks for reporting back, putting that it my strange shit to remember bank

#8408 1 year ago
Quoted from kickabit:

Thanks! Ordered a couple of both.

#8409 1 year ago

Can someone post a couple quick pics of the lower inside of the backbox, preferably a Seawitch? Reassembling and don't seem to have any pics. Just wanna make sure i wire the ground into everything that needs it. Think it should be self explanatory but, ya know, measure twice cut onse.

Edit: NM, found one.

#8410 1 year ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Home stretch. Anyone know where I can pick up one of those stern coin door decals? Thought Marco had them but can't find them. May be searching for the wrong thing.
[quoted image]

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12A-143

This is not the correct decal for Seawitch but this is your only option. The correct decal for Seawitch does not have the blue border line around the perimeter.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#8411 1 year ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Wow. When did k's arcade close?

Last November. There’s a post on their Facebook page.

#8412 1 year ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

This is pretty cool. Has this been done before?

I don't know if anyone else has worked to convert a high sidewall DE cab for a Stern play field before. As I look at and start to study this cab I can see it is not going to be a slam dunk. It is doable, but it will be some work.

#8413 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

As I look at and start to study this cab I can see it is not going to be a slam dunk. It is doable, but it will be some work.

Boooooo

#8414 1 year ago

I've always wanted to put 80s William's games in bally/stern cabs bc I like the lip on the backbox, looks better visually.

#8415 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12A-143
This is not the correct decal for Seawitch but this is your only option. The correct decal for Seawitch does not have the blue border line around the perimeter.
[quoted image]

Marco has the correct one

#8416 1 year ago
629F1514-B677-4B7C-81E9-3ABF6E47455F (resized).jpeg629F1514-B677-4B7C-81E9-3ABF6E47455F (resized).jpeg
#8417 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

I've always wanted to put 80s William's games in bally/stern cabs bc I like the lip on the backbox, looks better visually.

A lip can be made for any back box. Some 1/2" thick pine works like a charm.

#8418 1 year ago

What’s everyone using for replacement legs? Pinball life ballys?

#8419 1 year ago

Okay so I’m a little confused about the credit button Sticker

Where they all Foil type from the factory when new , or was there two types from factory

#8420 1 year ago

I think there was more than one type.

#8421 1 year ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

What’s everyone using for replacement legs? Pinball life ballys?

This is as close as you are going to get.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-non-ribbed-raw-legs-set-of-4.html

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#8422 1 year ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Okay so I’m a little confused about the credit button Sticker
Where they all Foil type from the factory when new , or was there two types from factory

I've only seen the foil type. All my games have had foil or no sticker.

#8423 1 year ago

I have never had a classic stern that still had (at least remnants of) the original credit button sticker that wasn’t foil. Very often they’re worn off from people touching them thousands of times though.

There are 2 different logo decals for the center, however.

#8424 1 year ago

Just got 2 more sterns last week IM need a lot of adjustments. Is there stronger pop coils for Dragonfist?

2F4E372E-8A30-46BC-BE80-AC1522141086 (resized).jpeg2F4E372E-8A30-46BC-BE80-AC1522141086 (resized).jpeg8ECCD93B-7930-47CA-B946-725E5FC34CF8 (resized).jpeg8ECCD93B-7930-47CA-B946-725E5FC34CF8 (resized).jpegACB27E5C-993E-4FF7-BC3C-846E29BA3CCC (resized).jpegACB27E5C-993E-4FF7-BC3C-846E29BA3CCC (resized).jpegB1F3C7AD-8B3D-436F-A35B-F30D3DF364A2 (resized).jpegB1F3C7AD-8B3D-436F-A35B-F30D3DF364A2 (resized).jpegF086DE05-1269-4764-AE9C-D440478A96EF (resized).jpegF086DE05-1269-4764-AE9C-D440478A96EF (resized).jpeg
#8425 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Just got 2 more sterns last week IM need a lot of adjustments. Is there stronger pop coils for Dragonfist?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The manual calls out J-26-1200 coils. I think this is about of strong of pop coil Stern used.

A pinside friend taught me about removing wire from the coils to jazz them up a bit. You could do what I did with my Catacomb with the same 1200 coils to spice things up. Remove 100 wraps of wire from the coil. Or buy some J26-1000 coils from Steve at Pinball Resourse.

Dragonfist slingshots also calls for J-26-1500 coils. Take your J-26-1200 pop coils and move those to your slingshots and put some 1100s on the pops.

That should make it mean and nasty.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8426 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Just got 2 more sterns last week

#8427 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The manual calls out J-26-1200 coils. I think this is about of strong of pop coil Stern used.
A pinside friend taught me about removing wire from the coils to jazz them up a bit. You could do what I did with my Catacomb with the same 1200 coils to spice things up. Remove 100 wraps of wire from the coil. Or buy some J26-1000 coils from Steve at Pinball Resourse.
Dragonfist slingshots also calls for J-26-1500 coils. Take your J-26-1200 pop coils and move those to your slingshots and put some 1100s on the pops.
That should make in mean and nasty.

I will try removing 100 windings from the coils .

#8428 1 year ago

(Finally) Here is a link to the 2 part jig that you can print yourself to then fit around a new pop bumper bracket and put in a lathe and machine down the ring diameter by a few millimetres.

This link is to my shapeways page but if you sign up (no catches) / sign in a DOWNLOAD button will appear.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinkspopjig

Please let me know how you go and take care.

Jady

jig 1 (resized).pngjig 1 (resized).pngjig 2 (resized).pngjig 2 (resized).png

#8429 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

(Finally) Here is a link to the 2 part jig that you can print yourself to then fit around a new pop bumper bracket and put in a lathe and machine down the ring diameter by a few millimetres.
This link is to my shapeways page but if you sign up (no catches) / sign in a DOWNLOAD button will appear.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinkspopjig
Please let me know how you go and take care.
Jady
[quoted image][quoted image]

You're awesome Jady, thanks for all you do!

#8430 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

You're awesome Jady, thanks for all you do!

just trying to help you guys with a cheaper alternative to the retro brackets I made available

#8431 1 year ago

Here is another mod / bracket which I am helping a Homebrew guy with so he can add sounds to his game but these trigger finger brackets.

Basically they are placed over a New Stern or Pinball Life Roll over switch and then it triggers a second switch that can then trigger the Wav Trigger Board - took a bit to find the sweet spot so it wouldn't stop the ball but still trigger the second switch.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkstriggerfinger&sort=newest

Trigger Finger 1 (resized).pngTrigger Finger 1 (resized).pngTrigger Finger 2 (resized).pngTrigger Finger 2 (resized).png

#8432 1 year ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Aside from hammering out dents, bondo-ing and repainting....are there any new solutions for beat up SEI coin doors? Cant seem to locate one anywhere.

You can get a Stern video game coin door. They are painted black so you would need to strip the black off. And also there is no hole for the credit button so you have to drill the two holes for that ( not a big job, very doable). You would also need to drill and tap the two small holes for the credit button switches.

This door with the 3 trim strips is available. If interested, send me a PM and I help you and the seller get connected so you can make a deal.

Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 4.35.44 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-04-16 at 4.35.44 PM (resized).jpg
#8433 1 year ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Aside from hammering out dents, bondo-ing and repainting....are there any new solutions for beat up SEI coin doors? Cant seem to locate one anywhere.

I have a complete Stern Meteor Coin Door for sale.

#8434 1 year ago

i bought a game with an Alltek SDB and Q16 is bad, the transistors on the board are FQB33N10L can i somehow replace them with a standard TIP122?

#8435 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You would also need to drill and tap the two small holes for the credit button switches.
This door with the 3 trim strips is available.

The switch screw holes are still present. Everything is identical except the credit button hole, which is easy to drill but I wouldn’t know how to press the metal inward like the pin doors have so you don’t slice a finger on the metal.

#8436 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I've only seen the foil type. All my games have had foil or no sticker.

Thanks for clearing that up , now to find out what classic Sterns has them fitted & which games did not

#8437 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I have never had a classic stern that still had (at least remnants of) the original credit button sticker that wasn’t foil. Very often they’re worn off from people touching them thousands of times though.
There are 2 different logo decals for the center, however.

Excellent thank you for information , think I have some foil type in my stash

As for the centre logo stickers ,have to work out which ones go on what era of games

Cheers

#8438 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

The switch screw holes are still present. Everything is identical except the credit button hole, which is easy to drill but I wouldn’t know how to press the metal inward like the pin doors have so you don’t slice a finger on the metal.

Getting the metal pressed inward is not a possibility since this is an assembled door. It would take the male and female metal die set and an arbor press. The best you can do with the door assembled is to run a Dremel Tool rock grinding bit around the edges to soften them up so you don't cut your finger.

Drilling the credit button hole requires you to drill a pilot hole in the two pieces of metal for good alignment. Then drill the large hole for the button followed by drilling a smaller hole for the credit button shaft.

#8439 1 year ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Excellent thank you for information , think I have some foil type in my stash
As for the centre logo stickers ,have to work out which ones go on what era of games
Cheers

The center logo stickers with out the blue boarder go on the earlier classic Sterns. Big Game decal has no border.

Catacomb and Dragonfist have the decal with the blue border.

However, I don't know at which machine Stern made the switch.

#8440 1 year ago

Where can I find the coil or magnet? It opens a gate. On Iron Maiden.

272A7663-C4C4-4223-9E44-50997C79E789 (resized).jpeg272A7663-C4C4-4223-9E44-50997C79E789 (resized).jpegE815FDA9-BCAB-4A04-A3BB-5A8CC08AA0F5 (resized).jpegE815FDA9-BCAB-4A04-A3BB-5A8CC08AA0F5 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8441 1 year ago

This pic is of the lane dividers on my Quicksilver build. The lights under the lane dividers are wired up like feature lights, but they just stay on like GI lights.

The yellow insert lights all work properly. What are these lane divider lights supposed to do?

IMG_2934 (resized).JPGIMG_2934 (resized).JPG

#8442 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pinball Resource has several part numbers that are close.

https://www.pbresource.com/coilccm.html

Get your part numbers ready. Then call Steve at PBR.

#8443 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I picked up some G-31-2000's recently from Marco's.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/G-31-2000
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/G-31-1800

#8444 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This pic is of the lane dividers on my Quicksilver build. The lights under the lane dividers are wired up like feature lights, but they just stay on like GI lights.
The yellow insert lights all work properly. What are these lane divider lights supposed to do?
[quoted image]

When the shot for extra ball is lit (with the yellow light) the lane dividers flash for that letter.

A pretty unique feature that I haven’t experienced on other games.

#8445 1 year ago

And they also give you a nice light show when you max out the bonus.

#8446 1 year ago
Quoted from djblouw:

When the shot for extra ball is lit (with the yellow light) the lane dividers flash for that letter.
A pretty unique feature that I haven’t experienced on other games.

Quoted from dothedoo:

And they also give you a nice light show when you max out the bonus.

Thank you. This pin tells me I am a novice I have not got that far yet.

#8447 1 year ago

Lower left flipper died on my seawitch while I was playing earlier. Cab switch started off by sticking -- magnetized? It was weird -- to start. Replaced that, then the flipper died altogether. Wiring/soldering looks atrocious. Guess it's time to rebuild and see where I go from there.

20230416_213016 (resized).jpg20230416_213016 (resized).jpg
#8448 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Drilling the credit button hole requires you to drill a pilot hole in the two pieces of metal for good alignment. Then drill the large hole for the button followed by drilling a smaller hole for the credit button shaft.

Just the outer metal requires drilling. The interior is the same (hence the switch screw holes still being present), so the placement is easy to locate. Have to ask, do you have one of these or are you speculating?

#8449 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would fuse those two relay/gate magnets...
They constantly burn-up on IM.
May need to change the solenoid/voltage regulator board...
I had the same problem on Stern Freefall.
The CA3081 ic was flaking out.

#8450 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know if anyone else has worked to convert a high sidewall DE cab for a Stern play field before. As I look at and start to study this cab I can see it is not going to be a slam dunk. It is doable, but it will be some work.

I presume it's bigger than a Stern cab in general?

Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Lower left flipper died on my seawitch while I was playing earlier. Cab switch started off by sticking -- magnetized? It was weird -- to start. Replaced that, then the flipper died altogether. Wiring/soldering looks atrocious. Guess it's time to rebuild and see where I go from there.
[quoted image]

You mean the flipper button itself was sticking closed (flipper activated)? And now you can't activae the flipper at all? Guessing your problem isn't with the flipper mech itself, though possible you fried the driver transistor for it. Coil doesn't look burnt. Check the diodes too - blowing one wouldn't stop the flipper from working, but could fry the driver transistor, which would kill the flipper. Although, I think when the transistor fails it'll lock the flipper on until it loses juice, so maybe that's why you thought the button was sticking.

If the transistor is good, I'd start back at the leaf switch for the flipper button and work forward from there.

That's not the correct flipper pawl, though it should play pretty much the same. Good indicator it's been on there long enough to warrant a rebuild though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 10,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 216.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/169 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.