20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ita47.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#426 5 years ago

Does anyone have a lockbar you would sell. I need one for my Stern Stars. Mine is bent up, it looks like someone tried to pry it up. If you have one shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

4 months later
#1018 5 years ago

I'm looking for a good backglass for my Stars. If anyone has one shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

1 year later
#2758 4 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

What do we think the market cap would be for an over the top restored STARS?

I think that depends on several things, mainly the quality of the restoration and what someone is willing to pay. But it’s hard to tell On yours from the 3 pictures you posted.

1 week later
#2790 4 years ago

Which Stern games originally came with the Tournament apron decals? Or were these added later? I know my Meteor has one, but my Stars and Nine Ball do not.

3 weeks later
#2944 4 years ago

With all the reproduction stuff available for these games, I can't believe no one has remade the correct Stern drop targets. I know the ones sold by PBResource are not the same and do not play the same as originals. I would think there would be plenty of demand if someone would just remake the originals. I know I would buy them for all my classic Sterns. Nothing looks better on a restored game than new drop targets, but they have to play correctly.

#2946 4 years ago

I have the PBResource drop targets on one of my Stars and they brick all the time.

1 month later
#3229 3 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

There are at least two types of backbox lockdown bars. The early ones do not require the metal trim with tabs. The later ones do. I had a Trident with an early lockdown bar.
[quoted image]
Early Bar (requires regular plastic trim)
[quoted image]
Late Bar (requires metal trim w/tabs)

Does anyone sell these backbox lockbars? I have a game that is missing one. I would like some of the early style for some of my later games too.

2 months later
#3638 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have heard from Kerry. He is trying to estimate demand for the sling levers.
I told him that most of the MPU-200 games use this lever. I think also that all of the MPU-100 games also use the same kicker but I am not positive on this. Can anyone verify the MPU-100 games?
One of the parts he will have to hire to be made. If he is only going to be able to sell 100 kickers they will probably not be cheap.
I need some to get some idea of how many of you really want to step up for some of these kickers. You might as well give your price limits.
Are you a buyer of these levers at $10.00 each? How about $20.00 each? What about $25.00 each? Where you all at?
Feed me.

Here are my thoughts, I have 4 classic Sterns waiting to get restored.

$10 dollars - I would replace on my current games.
$15 dollars - If I needed them. Might keep 1 set in stock. (I have some on parts playfields, loose though)
$20 dollars - Starting to feel it in the wallet

I am fine with the pivots from PBL if they work correctly with the levers.

5 months later
#4460 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Kerry sent me an email today regarding the sling shot kickers. His first attempt has failed. He did not elaborate. He says he will get back to them in a couple of weeks.
I imagine he will be rolling this problem around in his head reaching for a solution.

Just curious if you have any updates on the sling kickers? I really need a couple of sets for my Nine Ball and Meteor.

3 weeks later
#4620 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You are close.
It should say Stern Electronics, Inc. Instead, we are stuck with Stern Electronic. How does this kind of crap happen?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I noticed this before on Pinball Rescue's website and sent them an email pointing out the error. Here is the response I got from Lee:

"These are the only stern decals we have sold for years and sorry we do not have the Inc type you are referring to unfortunately."

I then asked why they couldn't or wouldn't correct the error and I never got a response back.

1 month later
#4757 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When I got my Sterns I observed that Stern used these sexy flat top screws for attaching plastics to the wooded side rails. Trouble was that half of them were missing and I had to find some other screw for a replacement. If you have the tools, they are easy to make.

Nice attention to detail. I will have to remember this for my restorations.

3 months later
#5305 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I need to buy a set of displays for my Star Gazer build. looking for suggestions of which brand of displays to buy.

I just purchased 2 sets from Pinitech. I went with the Uno style. I haven't assembled them yet but read lots of good reviews.

https://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_uno.php

2 weeks later
#5399 2 years ago

I would be in for at least two sets of sling shot arms maybe more...

10 months later
#6912 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Will be ordering a film from Coos to make a new backglass next.

Can you explain more about this? I didn't know anyone was selling film as a do it yourself for backglasses. What is the cost?

1 week later
#6938 1 year ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

Does anyone know if any other manufacturers used aprons identical to the classic Stern ones? It’s easy to spot the differences between Stern, Bally, and Gottlieb, but I was looking at pics of a late 70’s Gameplan apron, and I can’t spot a difference.

I can check later tonight. I have a Game Plan Sharpshooter and several classic Sterns.

#6940 1 year ago

The Game Plan apron is the same as the classic Sterns with the exception of the location of the mounting holes and the size of the opening on the lower front side.A394E068-3683-4F53-AEFD-F25E108FCC90 (resized).jpegA394E068-3683-4F53-AEFD-F25E108FCC90 (resized).jpeg

2BBD1F89-05A2-47E8-AFAD-DC8FF6C93DB7 (resized).jpeg2BBD1F89-05A2-47E8-AFAD-DC8FF6C93DB7 (resized).jpeg7D1B6EA6-F8CF-449C-8ABA-3FE4C5CCBC63 (resized).jpeg7D1B6EA6-F8CF-449C-8ABA-3FE4C5CCBC63 (resized).jpeg806F9A6D-FB78-4784-8D0B-4734B4C44422 (resized).jpeg806F9A6D-FB78-4784-8D0B-4734B4C44422 (resized).jpeg83628250-9DD6-4A19-8C59-46E6BD68A82C (resized).jpeg83628250-9DD6-4A19-8C59-46E6BD68A82C (resized).jpeg
#6943 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I demand my apron back

Indian giver, hey.... You should have seen the mouse nest that was under it LOL!!!!

7 months later
#7938 1 year ago

Alktek vs Weebly Solenoid Driver Board.

I am sure they are both good boards, but which one is better?

The Alltek is $158.90 shipped and the Weebly is $150 shipped

#7947 1 year ago
Quoted from La4s:

Weebly has a version that is not populated with the high voltage section for $50 less if you are going to be using LED displays. They also have through-holes for the original footprint components if you ever need to do repairs.

Thanks for mentioning that option, but I have original plasma displays so I do need the high voltage section.

1 week later
#8056 1 year ago

Just placed an order with barakandl for some boards for my Big Game, Stars and a rectifier board kit for my Flash Gordon. He has been great to deal with. I can't wait to get these games up and running. All of them are barn/warehouse finds that have sat for years. I love that barakandl includes the custom updated code for many of the classic Stern games and the free play option, awesome features!

#8086 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

Big day for Big Game.
[quoted image]

Looks awesome! Add me to the list, I need one.

1 week later
#8154 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

Looking for opinions from this esteemed group. I have a chance at grabbing either a Stars or a Seawitch. Both are of similar original quality, wear and tear but 100% functional. I love the art on both games so it really it comes down to gameplay for me. Seawitch is more expensive of course but not terribly more.
I’m looking for a keeper. What would you go with?

Stars for the win!

3 weeks later
#8349 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

I have been wanting to create this for a while to help you guys that want to convert a Gen 1 Classic Stern steel bumper bracket to a more model bolt in kit by easily modifying a standard stern pop bumper bracket. The reason for doing this is the diameter of the modern stern pop bracket is approx 2.5mm larger in diameter than the hole in the playfield on a few games. So you either have to grind the pop bracket body away or remove the excess from you playfield which is quite permanent approach.
This is a jig that comes in 2 parts which you would 3D print up and then if you have access to a lathe (3 jaw) you can clamp the jig around the body and then centre it in the lathe and carefully machine the ring diameter down to approx 61mm diameter.
If anyone wants these jig parts just send me a pm with your email and then I can email them to you.
Print up at 0.2mm layers and about 40-50% fill in PLA or equivalent.
They are 16mm thick and you use 2 M4 bolts or imperial equivalent and 2 nuts to clamp the parts together. Bolts would be about 25-30mm long.
hope this helps.
I am not worried about not selling the modified pop bumper brackets - this option lets you or someone you know machine a batch of modern stern pop bodies down ready.
[quoted image][quoted image]
hopefully this clamp jig for a lathe would allow you to machine a clean reduced diameter instead of hand grinding like what play_pinball had to do.

PM sent!

#8350 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Cleaning up the thickest nicotine stains off my German re-import Stars. This Crazy Clean stuff is great. Found it in from an old thread about cleaning up smoke and nicotine stains. Just sprays on and wipes off immediately. I don't recommend letting it soak in, just spray and wipe.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I saw that Stars at TPF, It needed some love for sure. I’m excited to see it cleaned up. Stars is one of my favorite Classic Sterns. Did you figure out what the whole in the side was for?

#8401 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

That one sucks beyond belief.

So do their spinner decals!

4 months later
#9434 7 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Thinking about running off another batch of vinyl cut decals, let me know if you are interested.

Those look great! Do you make any other colors for say Nine Ball, Big Game, Meteor? What about the older apron design for Stars?

4 months later
#10370 3 months ago

I have another broken classic Stern slingshot arm As far as I know there are no exact replacements, so is the next best thing to use the classic Bally/Williams slingshots as a replacement or is there something better? I sure wish someone would reproduce the originals.

A-12664 V-Pad Assembly_300x160 (resized).jpgA-12664 V-Pad Assembly_300x160 (resized).jpga-17810 kicker bracket (resized).jpga-17810 kicker bracket (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tempe, AZ
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ita47.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=ita47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.