20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 215.
#8251 1 year ago

F2K project. This playfield is being recycled.

98E8D61A-CB49-47E6-A02B-97D3F9BC4C35 (resized).jpeg98E8D61A-CB49-47E6-A02B-97D3F9BC4C35 (resized).jpeg
#8252 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

[quoted image]

I need to get moving on my F2k. It's in such a sad state but I really want to play it!

#8253 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I need to get moving on my F2k. It's in such a sad state but I really want to play it!

That F2K is worrying the hair right out of your head. Bring it down here and leave it. And all your headaches will disappear

#8254 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That F2K is worrying the hair right out of your head. Bring it down here and leave it. And all your headaches will disappear

Lol. It's on the rotisserie. I paused to finish (ish) Magic. Having stolen a few parts off a Gameplan playfield, that one is good to go for now. I messed with Af-Tor again (got nowhere) so it's time to get back to that F2k. But I'm definitely taking you up on the new floor when I head that way!

I'll probably pull the ball grabber (heh) mech and 3 bank after a bit so I can clean those. Still need to polish up the top of the pf as best I can and then wax the whole thing so I can start building the topside back up.

#8255 1 year ago

Hello, I'm new to the owning older machines game and am looking for some help. I have a stern Big Game, and my issue is whenever the game is played the sound will eventually go quiet then off.

Also, if the game is left on and in attract mode it eventually will stop with the lights how and make a buzzing sound with only one light lit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#8256 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Curious to see where this is going! I have 2 stripped F2K playfields in the garage.

#8257 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You have other classic Sterns in your collection so you are able to do what I suggest.
Here is the story: I bought an F2K displays harness from Marco when Marco was still selling them. I was buying to build up parts inventory for my Star Gazer build. When I first fired my newly built Star Gazer up the sounds were a mess. Swapping sound boards did not resolve the issue. I had a choice. I could spend endless amounts of time trying to troubleshoot this problem, or.......
I went the the "or". The sound board wiring is part of the displays harness. I takes about 20 minutes to R & R a displays harness that starts at connector J3 on the rectifier board, and also includes the speaker wiring. I swapped the displays harness out with another harness I had. End of problem. Something was not right with the new harness that I bought.

A displays harness would be about the only difference with a known good cab.
You can use a Seawitch harness in a Meteor for testing.
---------------------------------------------------
To this day, I do not know why that other harness was acting up. Later on I used this same harness in my Quicksilver build with no problems. But at the time, swapping out saved me gobs of wasted time troubleshooting.

You might be on to something. I'll repin the J3 connector next time I am at my vacation house. The OEM mpu had battery damage. It may have made its way to the J3 connector.

#8258 1 year ago

slochar with all your cool code updates, would you ever be interested or able to do a sound update on Split Second? The choices are just so wrong for the game but really I think the lack of background sounds dulls the experience for being a 1981 game, imo.

#8259 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The OEM mpu had battery damage. It may have made its way to the J3 connector.

To be clear, I was talking about the J3 connector on the rectifier board, not the MPU. But yes, possibly acid got on the J3 MPU connector.

#8260 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

slochar with all your cool code updates, would you ever be interested or able to do a sound update on Split Second? The choices are just so wrong for the game but really I think the lack of background sounds dulls the experience for being a 1981 game, imo.

I keep meaning to delve into the endless extra ball bug on that one. I no longer have a SS though, and testing in pinmame with multiball games is extemely tedious.

I wouldn't mind coming up with some kind of way to create new sounds but right now all I've done is take other sounds from other games and adapt them.

#8261 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

To be clear, I was talking about the J3 connector on the rectifier board, not the MPU. But yes, possibly acid got on the J3 MPU connector.

Yes, but you got me thinking about the harness. It could only be the harness, rectifier or driver board.

#8262 1 year ago

Cheetah : Continued Switch Matrix issues (scratch build game)

Here is what happens.

When you rip the left spin Target, various switches in that same row will register, but mainly the pop bumper. Also the GI lights flicker and the displays get all garbled.

I've tried the following:

Used a switch tester board at the mpu and all switches register in test with nothing weird occurring. I'm 99.9% this isn't a board issue especially since the behavior is the same with the big game board installed. PIA at U10 already replaced with a known working one, and swapped in another known working MPU, no change.

I've replaced the diodes on every switch in this row.

I've followed the white/black wire through the whole row of switches and notice no shorts anywhere.

Even if I remove the strobe wire or the return wire from the spinner switch, I still get weird behavior with switches in the same row registering including the spinner switch somehow. Haha.

Not sure what to try next, but it has to be in my wiring of the playfield/cabinet somewhere.

C16873F6-F4B8-469F-8731-C0DF625968A5 (resized).jpegC16873F6-F4B8-469F-8731-C0DF625968A5 (resized).jpeg

Then I did this:

I removed the spinner switch from the playfield. Left it wired up and attached to the spinner arm that attaches to the spinner itself. What’s weird is even if I hold the switch open, when I move the spinner back and forth, the displays garble and lights flicker.

The spinner bracket attaches via posts on either side that do not go all the way through the playfield.

#8263 1 year ago

I think I just fixed it by dumb luck. I’ll report back in a bit.

#8264 1 year ago

SOLVED: the wood screw from underneath the playfield for the GI bulb was contacting the post screw from the right side of the spinner bracket causing a short. Moved screw and all is good!

#8265 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

SOLVED: the wood screw from underneath the playfield for the GI bulb was contacting the post screw from the right side of the spinner bracket causing a short. Moved screw and all is good!

Always the weirdest dumb thing!

#8266 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It took me 3 weeks to track down an issue just like that on my Nugent. I also had it happen on Stu’s old Wild Fyre.

#8267 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think I just fixed it by dumb luck.

I'm interested in hearing how the dumb luck found your problem.

#8268 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm interested in hearing how the dumb luck found your problem.

First I thought it was loose screw that was lodged in one of the pop mechs. But that didn’t fix the issue. It was what I mentioned just above about the two screws meeting in the middle of the playfield wood to make a connection/short.

#8269 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Curious to see where this is going! I have 2 stripped F2K playfields in the garage.

It is going. This caused a very late night and an early morning. I have a tendency to overdo things sometimes.

Fantastic!

9BFA5913-4CFF-4B51-9B1E-ADDF9CE7DFEF (resized).jpeg9BFA5913-4CFF-4B51-9B1E-ADDF9CE7DFEF (resized).jpeg
#8270 1 year ago

It is going. This caused a very late night and an early morning. I have a tendency to overdo things sometimes.
Fantastic!
[quoted image]

Oh, my....

#8271 1 year ago

Are you prepping for the possibility of repro playfields? Planning to make a series of decals?
I’ve drafted up big chunks of playfield art in the past but never to redo an entire playfield.
Intrigued!

#8272 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

First I thought it was loose screw that was lodged in one of the pop mechs. But that didn’t fix the issue. It was what I mentioned just above about the two screws meeting in the middle of the playfield wood to make a connection/short.

Hey @chuckwurt, what did the lamp flicker look like? Did all the GI lamps blink in unison?

#8273 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Hey chuckwurt, what did the lamp flicker look like? Did all the GI lamps blink in unison?

No. Mostly just some backbox lights.

#8274 1 year ago

Ahhh. Long time coming.

8A14DBC3-7228-4B9F-8175-26317C51CE7A (resized).jpeg8A14DBC3-7228-4B9F-8175-26317C51CE7A (resized).jpeg
#8275 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Ahhh. Long time coming. [quoted image]

What a pair!

#8276 1 year ago
Quoted from Roberto_tron:

Hello, I'm new to the owning older machines game and am looking for some help. I have a stern Big Game, and my issue is whenever the game is played the sound will eventually go quiet then off.

Also, if the game is left on and in attract mode it eventually will stop with the lights how and make a buzzing sound with only one light lit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like it is failing when things warm up. That makes me think of possible issues in the following order:
-Failing power supply.
-Poor connection.
-Failing component or solder connection (referred to as a cold solder joint).

There is a pinwiki for classic Sterns-
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern

I would start in the section on rectifier test point values when the pin is not working-
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern#Rectifier_Board_Test_Point_Values

#8277 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would be tempted to give that pair their own little section with some tall plants and decor to really give it that "jungle" aesthetic

Congrats!!!

#8278 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Two cats hanging together. Two beautiful back glasses.

#8279 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

I would be tempted to give that pair their own little section with some tall plants and decor to really give it that "jungle" aesthetic
Congrats!!!

I have jungle queen too. Haha

#8280 1 year ago

OK, revisiting the pop bumper on my Trident. I just couldn’t shake the feeling something was just off where it shouldn’t be on the replacement assembly itself. I ordered an entire new assembly from pinball life. Here’s what I got in, and it looks just like the one off kilter skirt I have on the pop in the game. I’m going to disassemble this and see where the hangup could be. But is this normal, for anyone who has used these in their games? Right out of the box to have an uneven skirt? As I said, my other pop bumper is just fine in the game. Skirt sits high and even.

IMG_0032 (resized).jpegIMG_0032 (resized).jpeg
#8281 1 year ago

Why would you order that? It’s a DE/Sega/Stern assembly. Not the same. Pinball Life does not carry many vintage parts
unless they are “universal” parts across many games.

#8282 1 year ago
Quoted from evanc:

OK, revisiting the pop bumper on my Trident. I just couldn’t shake the feeling something was just off where it shouldn’t be on the replacement assembly itself. I ordered an entire new assembly from pinball life. Here’s what I got in, and it looks just like the one off kilter skirt I have on the pop in the game. I’m going to disassemble this and see where the hangup could be. But is this normal, for anyone who has used these in their games? Right out of the box to have an uneven skirt? As I said, my other pop bumper is just fine in the game. Skirt sits high and even.
[quoted image]

IMO. this is not normal. I have purchased 3 sets ( 9 total) of the Pinball Life pops. I have not seen that in any of mine

#8283 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Why would you order that? It’s a DE/Sega/Stern assembly. Not the same.

Because it fits ? Although, he may ned to add a diode.

#8284 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Because it fits ?

Well as long as you know it’s not the same mold. They are totally differently parts. You can’t complain or wonder about something that doesn’t quite work right when it was never made to fit that game in the first place. Maybe you should take it to Terry in person and slap him around a bit when you voice a complaint. I’m sure he would totally understand and just apologize and not beat you until you are unconscious.

#8285 1 year ago

There are plenty of posts in this thread about using this exact assembly in these games. And the trident I bought uses them, as installed by the previous owner. Happy to set it back to standard if there are replacement parts out there—feel free to point me to them if my research has missed them instead of saying I should be beaten unconscious for asking a question, weirdo. It’s a stretch to read any part of my post as a complaint about pinball life. Just asking for advice on a part I got from them. I’m sure they’ve got a whole big bin of these that don’t have this particular issue they can send me, if this one does in fact have an issue.

#8286 1 year ago
Quoted from evanc:

There are plenty of posts in this thread about using this exact assembly in these games. And the trident I bought uses them, as installed by the previous owner. Happy to set it back to standard if there are replacement parts out there—feel free to point me to them if my research has missed them instead of saying I should be beaten unconscious for asking a question, weirdo. It’s a stretch to read any part of my post as a complaint about pinball life. Just asking for advice on a part I got from them. I’m sure they’ve got a whole big bin of these that don’t have this particular issue they can send me, if this one does in fact have an issue.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/V444LZ2SY/classic-stern-gen-1-pop-bumper-brkt-conversion?optionId=227810695&li=marketplace

#8287 1 year ago

Thank you sir! I saw these but it was my understanding there is no functional difference between this and what I bought, except I need to shave the gen 2 replacement I bought down to fit the smaller hole. And because of the price, I went with the pinball life one. But I guess I can try this with the same parts as what I have from the pinball life assembly and see if things sit more even, assuming I can’t find someone tearing down an old playfield locally.

#8288 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Why would you order that? It’s a DE/Sega/Stern assembly. Not the same. Pinball Life does not carry many vintage parts
unless they are “universal” parts across many games.

They look the same to me except one is white and one is black.

Pinside_forum_7511260_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7511260_0 (resized).jpg

IMG_2795 (resized).JPGIMG_2795 (resized).JPG

#8289 1 year ago
Quoted from evanc:

[quoted image]

I think i found your problem. This is my friend's pop assembly. Notice the leaning skirt. I loosened the switch and the spoon and centered it up. Now the skirt is sitting straight.

IMG_2795 (resized).JPGIMG_2795 (resized).JPG
#8290 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I think i found your problem. This is my friend's pop assembly. Notice the leaning skirt. I loosened the switch and the spoon and centered it up. Now the skirt is sitting straight.
[quoted image]

Good. Now beat yourself unconscious.

#8291 1 year ago

It actually appears to be the lamp socket/pop body screws. If I back them off, the assembly raises a bit and the spring isn’t getting compressed just a smidgeon like it does if the body is screwed tight down. There’s still enough bite where I can’t move the body to be loose, so I think this will work. The one in my game however doesn’t like this particular fix. I’ll have to take it apart and see if I can find a similar issue, or just swap this one in. Pic of it with them backed off, and with the lamp squished down by finger.

IMG_0035 (resized).jpegIMG_0035 (resized).jpegIMG_0036 (resized).jpegIMG_0036 (resized).jpeg
#8292 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Something I noticed a while ago was on a new Data East/Stern/Alvin ect housing I had I found they have a shorter round collar where the housing fits through the playfield compared to original Stern housings.

The repros are around 1-1.5mm shorter on this collar than an original Stern housing, therefore the skirt ends up sitting lower making switch adjustment a lot harder & gapping needs to be very close.

I was looking at the Planetery repros as they look like a good replacement for original Sterns as they are white, but i'm assuming unlike the original Stern housings they will have the shorter collars as well & are molded from the Date East style? I can't quite tell, but, if this is the case, I will probably just keep using my repaired originals rather than buy some only for this reason.

https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-545-5100-00WH

#8293 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Something I noticed a while ago was on a new Data East/Stern/Alvin ect housing I had I found they have a shorter round collar where the housing fits through the playfield compared to original Stern housings.
The repros are around 1-1.5mm shorter on this collar than an original Stern housing, therefore the skirt ends up sitting lower making switch adjustment a lot harder & gapping needs to be very close.
I was looking at the Planetery repros as they look like a good replacement for original Sterns as they are white, but i'm assuming unlike the original Stern housings they will have the shorter collars as well & are molded from the Date East style? I can't quite tell, but, if this is the case, I will probably just keep using my repaired originals rather than buy some only for this reason.
https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-545-5100-00WH

I remember now that I noticed height difference several years back. The diameter of the skirt is smaller than the hole so there is no interference. At least I have not had problems. As noted earlier, I have installed 3 sets and actually 4 sets.

I have a set of blacks in my Big Game. I have a set of blacks in my Quicksilver. I had a set of blue units in my Seawitch to try them out and they worked without issue so I moved them to the Star Gazer I built.

I have never had a problem at any time with them. And adjusting the switches has never been a problem. But I need to mention that I adjust the switches so the switch gap/contacts make connection at the last possible moment so the ball can roll all the way in before the pop rings activates.

I will be buying them for my upcoming Cheetah build and for my 2nd Star Gazer build.

#8294 1 year ago

I wouldn’t go

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have jungle queen too. Haha

You just need your Panthera back.

#8295 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

The difference should be the PinballLife assembly is designed for the metal rod/ring. The Shapeways assembly is designed for the plastic rod/ring.

#8296 1 year ago

Maybe if everyone in the thread that thinks they are the same part just keeps concentrating hard on that thought, then all the parts will all magically become the same and then they will somehow all magically work!

Kidding. But yeah, the Shapeways one chuckwurt mentioned is the correct part.

#8297 1 year ago
Quoted from evanc:

I should be beaten unconscious for asking a question, weirdo.

That comment was not directed at you. It was an inside joke from back when Terry @ Pinball Life had an open house event each year at Chicago Pinball Expo.

#8298 1 year ago

Terry used to beat people until they were unconscious at Expo?! Was it, like, a cage match type of thing??

#8299 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have never had a problem at any time with them. And adjusting the switches has never been a problem. But

Sounds like the shorter collar/lower skirt doesn’t really create a switch problem if set up correctly - may have been other reasons I had a lot of problems getting switch adjustment right. I have since replaced the Data East housing with an original Stern housing I managed to find.

Seems to be very common with the original Stern housings to have corners broken off where the screw holes are. In my case, the screws were installed way off centre & hard up against the hole corners adding pressure to most likely cause them to snap over time. You could see where the screw had cut into the plastic quite a bit. When I epoxied the corners back I enlarged the holes so there was some free movement with the housing when installed. Have been fine since.

I also bleached the housings first to convert the ABS back to a nice bright white look.

No real need to replace them with new ones I guess as the repaired originals should be good for years .

#8300 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The difference should be the PinballLife assembly is designed for the metal rod/ring. The Shapeways assembly is designed for the plastic rod/ring.

I have not tried the plastic pop rings and cannot comment. What is the design difference? Will a plastic pop ring not fit in the PBL unit?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 169.00
$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Troxel Repair

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/166 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.