Carpenter - Halloween pinball machine (resized).jpg
PXL_20240413_183059405 (resized).jpg
IMG_3592 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3590 (resized).jpeg
Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,966 posts in this topic. You are on page 334 of 340.
#16651 74 days ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

OK, I feel thick as a plank, but as I was doing some maintenance on my own games (waxing, leveling, etc) I noticed something.
The Stern games have their LCD screens at a noticeable backwards tilt, so the player (of average height I suppose) gets the screen fairly flat-on, but Spooky has their LCD panels flat/parallel to the backbox face, so the player of average height sees the display at a noticeable angle, and this is the cause of the display not looking as good, IMO (all other factors aside.)
Cannot be a coincidence.
RussMyers

Intersting observation; you may be on to something. I'm not at my games; is the Stern panel offset via some spacers, or is it just how the backbox is built?

#16652 74 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Intersting observation; you may be on to something. I'm not at my games; is the Stern panel offset via some spacers, or is it just how the backbox is built?

It's how the panel is built. It's obviously on purpose.

It just jumps out at me now, with Stern and Spooky games side-by-side.

RM

#16653 74 days ago

I kinda feel like it's the gap between the screen protector and actual screen. Someone had posted while back where they removed the protector and how it made visuals lot better

#16654 74 days ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

OK, I feel thick as a plank, but as I was doing some maintenance on my own games (waxing, leveling, etc) I noticed something.
The Stern games have their LCD screens at a noticeable backwards tilt, so the player (of average height I suppose) gets the screen fairly flat-on, but Spooky has their LCD panels flat/parallel to the backbox face, so the player of average height sees the display at a noticeable angle, and this is the cause of the display not looking as good, IMO (all other factors aside.)
Cannot be a coincidence.
RussMyers

You are 100% correct, Russ. The displays that Spooky uses have a narrow viewing angle and unless you are looking at the screen straight on, the image will look like shit with washed out colors, improper contrast, etc.

I had once looked at modifying the back box, moving the center brace back to improve the viewing angle on the display. But I procrastinated and I eventually came upon some info here (and in the Ultraman Owners thread) about folks doing IPS display upgrades. I went that route a couple months ago and could not be happier. I highly recommend it.

This is the display / HDMI Controller I went with:

IPS Display: https://a.co/d/1ppC4NV

HDMI Display Driver: https://a.co/d/6YNt82R

I will say that my Halloween display now looks even better than my two Stern machines.

#16655 72 days ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I tuned down the shaker, found it just too strong so set it to medium which helped, but then went to low and it's been good since. I prefer the more subtle shaker effect over the overly strong and loud

Did you turn this down in the menu, or physically on the motor? I haven't noticed it in the menu before, and would love to turn mine down.
Thanks

#16656 71 days ago

Does anyone know if the clip of Michael and the phone wrapped around Linda is in the game? That's another great video asset (Not family safe) that could be added.

#16657 71 days ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

Does anyone know if the clip of Michael and the phone wrapped around Linda is in the game? That's another great video asset (Not family safe) that could be added.

Part of it is in when you make the hurry up shot when you beat the Boy and Lynda mode I believe

Quoted from miyagiPins:

Did you turn this down in the menu, or physically on the motor? I haven't noticed it in the menu before, and would love to turn mine down.
Thanks

I just manually did it by adjusting the shaker motor weights. Actually have it on the lowest setting and think it's good there, still shakes well and it doesn't rattle the heck out of the machine.

#16658 70 days ago

I’m still getting a false switch trigger sometimes. I have put the machine in switch test and hit the playfield but no false triggers. I have noticed that sometimes the upper Michael will pop out and it shows a ball was locked even when I haven’t hit it. I checked the connections on the transmitter and receiver but didn’t see anything out of place. Do these optos get flakey sometimes. Is it usually the transmitter or receiver that fail? It is aligned well and appears clean. Just trying to figure out what to order. Thanks!

#16659 69 days ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

I’m still getting a false switch trigger sometimes. I have put the machine in switch test and hit the playfield but no false triggers. I have noticed that sometimes the upper Michael will pop out and it shows a ball was locked even when I haven’t hit it. I checked the connections on the transmitter and receiver but didn’t see anything out of place. Do these optos get flakey sometimes. Is it usually the transmitter or receiver that fail? It is aligned well and appears clean. Just trying to figure out what to order. Thanks!

Perhaps checking and changing the opto for the upper Michael might be needed if it's randomly going off.

#16660 69 days ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Perhaps checking and changing the opto for the upper Michael might be needed if it's randomly going off.

Do people usually change both transmitter and receiver or is one part more prone to failure?

#16661 69 days ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

Do people usually change both transmitter and receiver or is one part more prone to failure?

I would run tests first, for the hedge mikes, I would run the Subway test with a ball and be rolling around a ball having it go in the scoop of that Mike and see how it's registering or if anything is triggering it.

#16662 68 days ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

Usually, it's the transmitter that fails. With some digital cameras/cell phone cameras, you can see the light from the LED on the transmitter just like any other LED. This is the first thing I check for when I suspect an opto issue.

#16663 68 days ago

I put the machine in switch test last night and just let it sit. After a few minutes it started going crazy with the hedge lock 3 switch very rapidly which is what I was suspecting anyway. So it is now confirmed that the opto for that scoop needs to be replaced. Now to get the parts. Interesting info about the phone camera being able to see the LED. I had not heard that before.

#16664 68 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Usually, it's the transmitter that fails. With some digital cameras/cell phone cameras, you can see the light from the LED on the transmitter just like any other LED. This is the first thing I check for when I suspect an opto issue.

Unfortunately that trick stopped working with newer models a while ago because they now use ir filters, supposedly to block pictures through clothes.

#16665 67 days ago

1.15 this week? Yea I know it's just a polish/bug patch but always exciting.

Potential new stuff / changes for 1.16 or going into 1.2 maybe? hmmmm

#16666 67 days ago

Looking at picking up a routed CE with not many plays as it was mentioned as a dog of an earner. The gold has worn off on the trim. Did Spooky do anything to remedy this? Any failure prone mechanisms outside of the diverter bounce back issue.

Big thanks!

#16667 67 days ago

I just wanted to thank everyone at Spooky Pinball for their excellent customer service! I had an issue with my shaker motor and contacted AJ. He was able to send out the necessary parts to get it working again! Best pinball company out there in my opinion! Thanks again to the whole team at Spooky!

#16668 67 days ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Looking at picking up a routed CE with not many plays as it was mentioned as a dog of an earner. The gold has worn off on the trim. Did Spooky do anything to remedy this? Any failure prone mechanisms outside of the diverter bounce back issue.
Big thanks!

Spooky replaced armor for free to those those that requested it. I and others applied our own clear coat to prevent the issue and that worked for me. In you're case you would need to purchase new armor from Spooky or have new powder coat applied.

The servos on the hedge Michael’s are known to fail. Sounds like it is a cheap easy replacement but mine are still going strong.

I never had the diverter bounce back issue either but there is an adjustment added to the settings to dial it in now.

Only issues I’ve had are needing to replace an LED and the ball got stuck in elevator above the right flipper once. Took me 1min to replace the LED and about 15min to fix the elevator.

The top playfield may need to be dialed in. A single shot should be able to figure 8 through the top loop back to the flipper and if the flipper is still up continue up to the left loop back around to the flipper… and repeat. Upper playfield is super fun when that is dialed in. When it isn’t it can feel like a mess.

I was a NIB Halloween buyer and it is still the most played game in my collection. Add an external sub and play it in a dark room and it is a great immersive experience.

#16669 66 days ago
Quoted from monitorpop:

Spooky replaced armor for free to those those that requested it. I and others applied our own clear coat to prevent the issue and that worked for me. In you're case you would need to purchase new armor from Spooky or have new powder coat applied.
The servos on the hedge Michael’s are known to fail. Sounds like it is a cheap easy replacement but mine are still going strong.
I never had the diverter bounce back issue either but there is an adjustment added to the settings to dial it in now.
Only issues I’ve had are needing to replace an LED and the ball got stuck in elevator above the right flipper once. Took me 1min to replace the LED and about 15min to fix the elevator.
The top playfield may need to be dialed in. A single shot should be able to figure 8 through the top loop back to the flipper and if the flipper is still up continue up to the left loop back around to the flipper… and repeat. Upper playfield is super fun when that is dialed in. When it isn’t it can feel like a mess.
I was a NIB Halloween buyer and it is still the most played game in my collection. Add an external sub and play it in a dark room and it is a great immersive experience.

This is extremely helpful and thank you. I am looking forward to it. My first play on it in a tournament with early code was frustrating but after watching a few videos it looks like a lot of fun. This will be my first Spooky adding to Stern and CGC.

#16670 66 days ago

I believe the upper ramp over bridge shot is one if not the best most rewarding shot in pinball.

#16671 66 days ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I believe the upper ramp over bridge shot is one if not the best most rewarding shop in pinball.

Yeah I involuntarily yell “BOOM!” and fist pump every damn time I hit it. Lol

#16672 66 days ago

Agreed it is very very rewarding

#16673 66 days ago

Yep, same with upper Michael, right orbit and Judith shot
Pretty cool how the ball sways on the magnet before it drops, I do hit the bridge shot easily though thank god!

#16674 66 days ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Big thanks!

The diverter bounce back can happen even with it working. The center ramp design has a very strict range in which you can hit, slightly off or strong hit can have the ball just bounce and roll back down the ramp. Really it's just kind of how the center ramp was designed as the diverter is right there and makes the shot a tough one to make. The servos on the Michaels is the most common issue, mostly a cosmetic thing outside of one mode but new set of servos to upgrade is 10 bucks. Rest of the game is pretty solid.

#16675 64 days ago

Would any of you with a Butter Cab risk taking your machine to a show? I would like to share my Halloween at the Louisville Arcade Expo, but its a beautiful shiny butter cab.

#16676 64 days ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Would any of you with a Butter Cab risk taking your machine to a show? I would like to share my Halloween at the Louisville Arcade Expo, but its a beautiful shiny butter cab.

Nope. Too much risk loading and unloading.

#16677 63 days ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:The diverter bounce back can happen even with it working. The center ramp design has a very strict range in which you can hit, slightly off or strong hit can have the ball just bounce and roll back down the ramp

No, it shouldn’t do that.

Check your game has the metal flap at the top of the U-bend in the ramp.

This should stop the ball coming back down (if it makes it up)

If not - it’s a possibility the flap is bouncing the ball back down. Give it a bend either way to see if that helps.

I can make the centre ramp easily with either flipper - I played a well used UM today and could do it on that game as well, no problems.

rd

#16678 63 days ago

My centre shot has got better with use, I think that metal flap has softened a bit to help it get up top. Can get up there with both flippers too.

I can also get the ball back down sometimes while hitting the figure 8 shot, now and again with upper flipper it will go back down getting past the metal flap.
I could lower the flap a bit but I know that will make it harder for the ball to get in, fine tuned it enough now and good enough.

Never had a problem with the diverter from new, have changed all the Michael servo’s. Noticed one has Parkinson’s so that will need changing again soon.

#16679 62 days ago

When does everyone think we will see code 1.15?

#16680 62 days ago

Has anyone successfully been able to get their backglass signed with a decent quality marker? My buddy paid extra to meet John Carpenter somewhere and said he could take something from the machine with him to it signed. Based on this thread, it sounds like the knife is the best option. I was thinking maybe the play cards as well. But the back glass sure would be badass.

#16681 62 days ago
Quoted from waletboy:

When does everyone think we will see code 1.15?

Code was being tested a few weeks ago, so imagine soon?

#16682 62 days ago

Can't wait to try this without knocking down drops to start another mode. There are just so many things to do mode wise in the game, that I hate restarting with drops. I usually only get 1 mode, multiball or Judith per game before it's over anyway.

#16683 62 days ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Can't wait to try this without knocking down drops to start another mode. There are just so many things to do mode wise in the game, that I hate restarting with drops. I usually only get 1 mode, multiball or Judith per game before it's over anyway.

That's changing?

#16684 62 days ago

I felt like it was, Matt wanted our opinion on how we would like it to function.

#16685 62 days ago

I did the LCD upgrade earlier today, with the linked components from this thread. They don’t fit exactly the same, but I made it work. Oh MAN what a difference! Makes the video really pop. Highly recommended

#16686 62 days ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I felt like it was, Matt wanted our opinion on how we would like it to function.

Ah, think they just were taking ideas for possible future. 1.15 should be a bug fix/polish update, but don't think any major game changes are happening.

I do hope there is some changes for future updates though, such as polishing up the scoring and maybe some other ideas folks have tossed around.

#16687 62 days ago

Yes I’m big on score balancing.

Don’t you worry, Kemp won’t get any rest till that happens.

rd

#16688 61 days ago

What is that sound suppose to be at the end, mine sounds like a crying chimpanzee.…anyone else hearing what I am hearing…and because of that I cant not un hear it that sound is grating as it doesn’t seem to fit the game what is that sound clip suppose to sound like? Anyone?

Thanks!

#16689 61 days ago

It’s Laurie from the movie scene.

#16690 61 days ago
Quoted from Flash71:

It’s Laurie from the movie scene.

Thank you, I guess there is no chance that sound clip is leaving the game…

#16691 61 days ago
Quoted from Requis:

What is that sound suppose to be at the end, mine sounds like a crying chimpanzee.…anyone else hearing what I am hearing…and because of that I cant not un hear it that sound is grating as it doesn’t seem to fit the game what is that sound clip suppose to sound like? Anyone?
Thanks!

Love the game...TOTALLY hate that sound!!!

#16692 61 days ago

Maybe this intro will help

#16693 61 days ago
Quoted from Requis:

Thank you, I guess there is no chance that sound clip is leaving the game…

I’m surprised they haven’t just changed that to the basic sound effect instead of the clip from the movie. It could be done.

#16694 61 days ago

Definitely needs some balancing. Was playing the other day. I completed Let Me In but missed the last hurry up. Total for the mode was a bit over 1.7 million. The skill shot for hitting only the center target is 1.5, in that mode you have to hit the single lit drop 3 times and 2 orbits.

#16695 61 days ago

HES COMING HOME TOMORROW!!!

anything I should look for as a new spooky owner with this title ??

#16696 61 days ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

HES COMING HOME TOMORROW!!!
anything I should look for as a new spooky owner with this title ??

Plug it in, and play it! Report back your love!

#16697 61 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I did the LCD upgrade earlier today, with the linked components from this thread. They don’t fit exactly the same, but I made it work. Oh MAN what a difference! Makes the video really pop. Highly recommended

What did you do to get it mounted? Any pics?

#16698 61 days ago
Quoted from Requis:

Thanks!

Bought Halloween for my wife and never saw the movie when it arrived. I asked the same question about the monkey. Saw the movie finally and no monkey. Definitely not a fan of that sound. Great game, even though not a huge fan of the movie. Crazy I never saw it till recently and I am 53 years old.

#16699 61 days ago

Yes that monkey sound sucks, makes no sense. Needs to be changed

#16700 61 days ago

Oddly, it seems burned in to the board. Its been there since day one. Probably trolling us with a magic update on this haha!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Wilkes-barre, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
7,000 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

There are 16,966 posts in this topic. You are on page 334 of 340.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/334?hl=morgoth00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.