IMG_3589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3590 (resized).jpeg
Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#675 2 years ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Anybody else get a ball stuck here on the top playfield?

It got stuck there a few times on the IE Pinball stream too.

#777 2 years ago

#921 2 years ago
Quoted from freakyvideoguy:

#63 checking in here. Totally agree, I love the game so far, and the code update from Halloween just cements that even more. I have more more confidence then ever that this is going to be a homerun. If you bought this game because you love the theme (grail theme for me) and weren't looking for a quick flip, I would say you have nothing to worry about. If you are still feeling nervous, try to find it on location and give it a play and I'm sure you'll walk away feeling the same.

Great pairing there and awesome Voorhees poster. I played Halloween and thought it shot nice, looked nice, and the atmosphere was spot on. It just is really in need of code that will give it legs. Some stacking, paths of progression, risk and reward... maybe a mini wizard mode or 3. I'm just hoping it can get there.

Quoted from Boycer:

I dig the Voorhees picture. This is my shrine next to my pins

Badass part 2 prop! I love to see people doing this. I have a part 3 stalking the game room...

20211102_211211.jpg20211102_211211.jpg
#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:I hope not, that's excruciatingly slow... At that pace some people are looking at a 2023 delivery... I thought it was 25 for each game, not 25 total but seems like I misunderstood... Yikes.

You can always sell your spot.

#1137 2 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Had same issue. Needs larger screws or put a tooth pick in and then screw.

Larger screws may become problematic long term. Wood glue and a toothpick in the screw hole should give the original screw something to bite into again.

1 week later
#1393 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s a game mechanic seen more recently in stuff like Dead by Dawn (which also has Michael)

You mean Dead by Daylight?

#1544 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

There have been no spots sold for $1k loss.

spooky_loss (resized).jpgspooky_loss (resized).jpg
#1547 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

So, you’re proving me correct then. That says $1060. That’s a $940 loss and one single game haha

The actual cost of the spot was $1,000. The extra $60 was payment for a swift kick in the junk. .

2 weeks later
#1888 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

When your ceiling height sucks but you need that sweet stabbing action…

How difficult was it to remove the topper? One of the big reasons I got a BSE was because of my low ceilings. Early on people were saying the topper did not look like it was easily removable.

1 month later
#2554 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Look at TWD, people hated on that and now one of the greatest games out there.

I agree, but TWD did have Lyman.

2 weeks later
#2887 2 years ago
Quoted from miyagiPins:

237 shipped today.
Sweeeeeeet

shining_00 (resized).jpgshining_00 (resized).jpg

Good number...

1 week later
#3232 2 years ago
Quoted from jailbreakjustin:

7. My machine now smells like burning plastic and the bottom right flipper is completely dead though the fuse is not blown. The machine is now officially useless after only two weeks.

From my experience with past Spooky games, the burning plastic smell is usually caused by a servo burning up. There are small servo motors that turn the hedge figures, and probably a few used for diverters. I'm not sure about the newer Pinotaur board, but the old Heck board would exhibit some weird behavior if there was a cooked servo left connected. It's just a thought, but they could be worth a quick physical inspection.

4 weeks later
#4101 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well it isn't getting hit by a ball so I can't imagine any damage happening to anything.

I could see it possibly chipping the playfield with an unlucky ball strike since the drop target is no longer there for the ball to roll over.

#4165 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

To clarify, this thing (flap/deflector) is what we are talking about. I had to bend mine down farther than what is shown in this picture after I cleaned and waxed my playfield because it was playing really, really fast and shots to the scoop weren't easy anymore.

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean originally used a saucer deflector like that, but so many people were experiencing rejects that they switched deflectors mid-production. The new flap had a couple of bends in it to give it a more curved shape. Maybe the deflector could be replaced with an off the shelf part? Something closer to this...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-8250-04

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#4568 2 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

put this different scoop on our Halloween bc it was brick city. have around 20 games on it so far and its smoooooth

I posted about this possible fix weeks ago and it got completely skipped over. This was the same fix JJP made mid production for the saucer on Pirates. Good to hear that it works for Halloween too. Did you have to make any modifications or did the screw holes just line up?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/84#post-6823900

#4593 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

That's a different part but it may work as well...

Quoted from djsolzs:

I just followed the link provided by Betelgeuse

Sounds like mk6pin has this and working..

Yup, I just provided that link as a reference to illustrate what I meant. There's probably more than one available deflector that would work in Halloween, but I haven't personally tested any of them.

#4667 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Deflector stuff:

Completed the deflector (scoop) replacement yesterday. Results are dramatic and the shot is now very, very consistent (for me = average player)..backhand or left flipper

Disclaimer - I did this to my game, my opinion and logic...just sharing if anyone wants to go down this road....

PITA factor - medium to high. Things are very tight in there, potential for screws or small spacer (subway) to drop into bad places. Patience will be your friend on this one. I pulled the subway down (didn't need to remove) to get to things. Total time (including lunch break when I lost a screw, lol = around 3 hours w testing). Not an easy task..be honest w yourself regarding your tools/ skillset, and get help if you need it....no sense breaking anything....

Profanity factor - varies on if you drop/ lose a screw, lol...I got through it pretty well...

Used #535-8250-04 as a base (suggestion from another Pinsider) as it had the shape I was needing, based on my bench mock (easier than making a new one). didn't want a rounded scoop, rather a direction focused deflector.

You'll have to drill a center hole for the post and file/ grind the sides a bit to fit, but well worth it, as the shape is superior to the 3 hole version (again, just my take)

Included some before and after pics. You can see where the ball is hitting high on the original, causing it to reject or hit the front of the hole protector. Rebending will keep things working ok, but over time the ball is definitely going to bend the top back.

The new shape allows the ball to be "deeper" into the hole area before impact, coupled with the distinct bend fires the ball down, straight into the hole. The bend also provides much more strength to the piece. I put a 3/16 rubber on the center post (used to avoid a ball trap from above) along w slightly offsetting the center hole to allow it to press against the back as well.

Very tidey, and night and day performance (for me). Pics should tell the story....first 2 are the end product, middle 3 show the center hole drilled (unfinished edges), impact on original, side by side difference, last shows the original.

That looks like a lot of effort, but it's good to hear it was worth the trouble. Thanks for documenting this. I'm probably going to order a new deflector and I don't even have my game yet.

2 weeks later
#5213 2 years ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

My ball keeps getting stuck when it’s ejected onto the plunger. Table is perfectly leveled at 6.5 degrees. Do we know how to address?

Not sure about Halloween, but on many games there is a metal deflector there that directs the balls into the shooter lane. It's not uncommon to have it bent too low from the factory and the balls can barely get through the opening. Bending it upwards slightly with your fingers may be all you need to do if this is the problem.

#5444 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It’s gonna kill at my location. Lots of horror fans and metalheads around here. I’ll just tell the staff to power cycle it twice a day and I’ll do some stuck ball trap prevention. Didn’t seem like the HWN I played at Jackbar had any problems other than the powder coat thing. Played great actually. Anyway…I’m sure it’ll be addressed in future code

Didn't you have your spot listed for sale out of concerns about reliability? Or did you have multiple preorder spots? You are hyping and defending this game a lot for someone who was ready to pull the plug themselves not long ago. I think many of the concerns about build quality are valid. If I get a game with a jacked up cabinet, sloppy decals, disappearing powder coat, out of square pf glass, drifting servos, an impossible scoop, a misaligned ramp diverter, misaligned drop targets, burned out LED strips and the need to climb under the playfield every few games, I can't say I'll be thrilled. I do realize some arrive nearly perfect, but I am burned out with NIB lottery fatigue.

#5489 1 year ago

It looks like Buffalo Pinball is doing a stream of Halloween tonight at 8pm EST.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bro-do-you-even-pinball-weekly-livestream-thurs-8-pm-eastern/page/17#post-6903803

#5564 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

Uh, y'all. Something is *seriously* wrong with my Halloween machine when I wake it up after a few hours. I captured this video, and when I opened up the backglass to record the logs - there was a very strong electrical short smell. Not solder, but something just acrid and burning.

My best guess would be that you burned up a servo somewhere. This is a common issue with Spooky games and creates a strong acrid smell. On the old PinHeck boards, this could also cause lockups and other strange issues. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing here.

#5714 1 year ago

While we are on the subject of powder, can we get any more concrete details on what will be used on the Bloodsucker edition? I remember seeing an early teaser video where it looked like it was planned to be smooth black metallic powdercoat. The powdercoating and armor are one of very few perks of opting for a BSE over an SE, so would like to know it won't just need redone anyway.

#5790 1 year ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Does anybody have a picture of Halloween and America's Most Haunted side-by-side? Just got in on a CE and can't wait to see these two together.

I would like to see this too. Those will be the 2 Spooky games in my lineup, but my Halloween is still many months away.

Four friends of mine recently got solid time on a Halloween and were raving about it. They have all been in the hobby for many years and all agreed it was a home run. For the first time since the game was announced, they are excited that I have one on order and told me not to sell my spot. This is clearly a polarizing game, but it's good to have some encouraging words from people who's opinions I value and who will actually be coming over to play it.

1 week later
#5938 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I love that I literally watched a stream of these guys playing Halloween, visibly enjoying it and having some genuine positive reactions. Then they sit down in front of a mic and trash it and admit neither of them HAVE EVER SEEN THE F’n MOVIE. Nah. “ohhh I only LOOKED like I was having fun because I had too many beers”. So dumb.

I didn't listen to the podcast yet, but I did watch that stream and I don't remember them being particularly complimentary about Halloween, unless you count Nick saying something along the lines of "it's not as bad as the reviews make it sound" near the end. There were defintely a lot of thinly veiled negative comments, and the 'fun' seemed to come more from jokes made at the game's expense. That was just my impression.

I often agree with the games these guys praise (TWD and JJPOTC for example), but it was also pretty obvious that they were not familiar with and had no appreciation for the film this game is based on. They just seemed somewhat disinterested from the start. So while it's disappointing, it's not entirely surprising.

#6126 1 year ago

How are we up to around #700 now? Is it just me or wasn't it around #400 just a month or so ago? When are BSE's expected to go into production?

3 weeks later
#6564 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I knew that, just wondering if they are close to being done with the CE’s yet.

I'm not entirely sure that all CEs are being made before BSEs and SEs. There are people who have CE spots for sale with numbers much higher than BSE spots. It could be that they aren't being built in strict numerical order, but who knows.

#6597 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

You sure? Someone of Facebook is keeping a list of everyone and the numbers. Not seeing what your saying

For example, JeffF has CE #1173 and Garbagemaster has CE #1126.

Garbagemaster also has BSE #1053 and my BSE number is close to this too.

Why are some CE numbers higher than BSE and SE numbers? I have seen other examples come and go too. I'm not on fb, so don't know what it says there.

halloween_ce (resized).jpghalloween_ce (resized).jpg

#6605 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Do the BSEs get built after the CEs or are those going out simultaneously?

I keep pointing out on this thread and the UM thread that there *are* CEs with higher numbers than BSE and SE numbers. What that means I don't know, but possibly there will be some overlap with the different models being built. There just doesn't seem to be enough BSE/SE buyers for anyone to notice/care.

#6611 1 year ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Wonder if it has to do with orders overseas. It’s cheaper to ship one container than individually. Also did CE owners get to pick their number?

Domestic games with no custom ordering. Below are some recent examples, but there have been more. Also wondering what will happen to the CE orders that are being deferred if those customers don't complete their purchase or sell their spot. Mostly I'm trying to get a better idea of how many of each model will be built and when the BSEs will go into production.

halloween_ce (resized).jpghalloween_ce (resized).jpg
#6614 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Mine too; I’ve got 2 games on the way and they are taking a Loooooooong time. I knew it would be a long wait but this would be my first time waiting almost a year

Same. I have been waiting on this and EHOH for about a year now already, which is longer than I expected at the time. I still have no idea roughly when (or in the case of Elvira, *IF*) I should expect them to be up. It kind of puts me in a drawn out holding pattern.

#6621 1 year ago

I don't think anybody complained that Spooky is taking too long or dropping the ball on production, so I don't understand why the defenders are rushing in to the rescue once again. People just did not know when their game would be built when they put in their order and there are some variables in the production order (butter cabs, distro/direct, CE/BSE, UM/HWN, deferred builds, etc.), but I guess we'll just have to stop estimating when we will get our games.

#6673 1 year ago

Is there a moderator that can fix the ugly white border that appears around the backglass for Halloween in the default Pinside images? It looks janky the way it is.

#6696 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

So you downvoted me first there Mr. (self-proclaimed) Aficionado. Then you whine when someone else downvotes you?

And “I’m sure has never seen”? How do you know what movies I’ve seen?

I don’t need the back-and-forth banter with you though. Let’s keep this thread about the game we all enjoy. At least most of us enjoy.

Don't waste your time. He attacks and downvotes anyone that challenges his narrative or says anything critical of HWN/UM. It's obnoxious enough that it's actualy making me dislike this game more.

#6699 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

So someone’s comments is making you dislike the game more???? Ok

In a way, yes. Because for me part of the fun of the new game experience is talking about the game with other enthusiasts on pinside.

#6721 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

You really need to get off pinside if your influenced that much. No matter how much someone hates on steak, I will not start to dislike or hate steak. Kinda weak sauce if you ask me.

I think you are reading too much into this. I am saying that I think people should be able to share their thoughts/opinions/concerns/issues without getting multiple downvotes from the same person and having to defend themselves within 5 minutes of posting. Whatever, moving on.

1 week later
#6851 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok my damn ball is still getting stuck. Anyone come up with any other options/ideas?
Its getting old and annoying. I tried redoing the screws 100 times. Spooky sent me a brand new mold but it didnt have any holes pre drilled in it so I cant mount it. I tried the hair dryer technique, didnt do anything.
Any other thoughts?

I remember seeing somewhere in this thread where people had jammed a shot glass in there which was a slightly larger diameter than the ball, then heat the plastic with the hairdryer.

1 week later
#7012 1 year ago

I received my butter/no-butter email for BSE today.

#7018 1 year ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Nice to know we up soon, what # are you?

I think it was 1066.

1 week later
#7274 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You know, both my EHOH and my Godzilla do this too. On occasion, (including yesterday, which is what made me think of it), I have to empty the trough and let the balls reload. No clue why, and I dont' remember ever having to do this on other games.

I have had balls stack up on top of eachother in the trough after lifting the playfield on GZ. I never had this issue with any other Stern. It seems to be the balls right by the shooter lane. When it happens, I just reach under the playfield and manually pop 2 balls out into the shooter lane. It's all good after they re-drain. That may be what you are experiencing.

#7336 1 year ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I cant wait to see the BSE powder in person

I'd be happy just to see some photos of an assembled BSE. They can't be too far off now.

1 week later
#7461 1 year ago
Quoted from DougB42:

After a couple of weeks, most of my lower (Sanitarium) LED strip went out. If I pressed hard on the 6th one the rest of would light up temporarily. I emailed Spooky and AJ said it was likely due to a ball hit and suggested trying to solder some connections. Otherwise he would just send me a new strip. I tried re-flowing all joints in the area but it did not help so I just asked for the replacement. While waiting for it to arrive, I picked up some clear flexible tubing, cut it in half with an X-acto knife (not very easy) and just secured it with the zip ties. So now there's something to protect it least and I barely notice it's there. Hopefully a ball won't fly and knock out the upper level at some point too.

I saw months ago where someone had done something similar to protect the light strips, but had used frosted tubing which had the added benefit of diffusing the light from the LEDs. Really, something like this should have been used in the first place. Between the LED strips, the exposed socket on the jack-o-lantern, and the exposed electronics under the sanitarium playfield, it seems like a short or other damage from an airball is inevitable in the long run. I can't think of another game I have seen with exposed electronics like that, and for good reason.

1 week later
#7714 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Are BSE’s and standards being built now?

I haven't seen a BSE built yet. It would be nice to see a picture of one since we are so close now. I got my butter email a month ago, but haven't heard anything since. There's still a bunch of CE spots for sale, so not sure when last call is on those.

#7786 1 year ago
Quoted from MJK-911:

If anyone wants to trade or purchase my Halloween CE-680 , PM. me, Has to be the worst game I have ever Owned, The constant waiting for the ball has worn on me, I have 0 desire to play this game, only so many hours in the day, why keep a game that isn’t fun!!!!

One month prior...

Quoted from MJK-911:

What an incredible pinball machine, arrived in Perfect condition!!! Wow does it really look phenomenal with Butter. Happy with the choice. What an Ass Kicker of a game!!! Its extremely fast and where did the ball go type of game. Iam extremely happy with the Game!!!

Quoted from MJK-911:

People are insane if they knock this game, super unique fast, fun pinball machine!! Haters going to hate!!!! I absolutely love it !!! But nothing will ever top my Rick/Morty!!! Lick Lick Lick my Balls!!!!!!!!!!

#7795 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Quick process question: I received and responded to my decals email (via distro). What happens next? Spooky now builds the game, and I pay ASAP? How long did shipping take for you all?

I received my BSE butter email from my distro over a month ago, but nothing since. I checked in just the other day and was told an invoice would come when BSEs go on the line, but no new details on when that's expected to be. The large number of CE spots still available for sale makes me think they still haven't determined when they will change over production.

#7943 1 year ago

I have set NIB pins up myself by laying the game flat and sliding it out of the box a bit at a time in one direction, while sliding the box off of the game in the other direction. Having a helper makes this go much faster.

#7944 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I feel exactly the same. Reading peoples early comments led me to sell my preorder. I’m glad I changed my mind!

Quoted from coasterguy:

Uhm, can we say THIS GAME IS ADDICTING!

Quoted from coasterguy:

People over last night. Halloween for the win.
Halloween and stranger things stand out in my 4 pin collection when people come over.

Quoted from coasterguy:

Just had some people over and it was a hit again. HALLOWEEN just pulls us in! It's crazy fun.

And now coasterguy has his game listed for sale at a deep discount too. What is it with this game that so many people seem to talk it up when they first get it, and then a few weeks later they are taking a massive hit to get it out of their game room?? Does this game give you cancer or something? I have never seen so many abrupt flip-flops on any title before and it's discouraging. Mine is coming soon and I will definitely not be running here to gush about it the first night I have it. I will try to let the experience sink in for a while. If I think it's a turkey, I would rather wrap it in plastic and store it away like a time capsule than take a $2k+ hit on it right away.

#7946 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Cult of new and limited space in most folks homes has folks often tossing aside a game for the new hotness they find.

Sure, but then why get rid of the newest game and not one of the other games that have been in their collection longer?

#7950 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

People are just get worried about losing money. The tide is turning slowly in Halloween’s favor though. Fear, impatience and not enough time spent listing learning the game is why we see so many quick listings imo.

So you think they are worried about losing even more than the $2k-2.5k hit they are taking by selling now? It seems that the best way to avoid losing money would be not to sell right now, hence my time capsule comment. Maybe they believe that the bottom of the market has not yet been reached. I have doubts owners are taking it on the chin like that because they are too impatient to learn the rules. These quick turnarounds have me concerned that I will get bored with the game quickly, but I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

#7951 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Once they are all built and settle in to peoples collections, only then will you see the demand soar. It is a unique game that sets itself apart.

That's why I am surprised these owners cannot even endure having the game in their lineup until after it's out of production. It is what it is though. I'm completing my purchase and the game is coming, for better or worse. Sometimes the red-headed step child games end up connecting with me anyway, but i'll be sure to be candid about the experience here.

#7960 1 year ago

Some good points here and I appreciate the thoughtful feedback from all. I do agree that the demand for other new games seems to have recently softened somewhat, outside of a few select titles. The pump and dump just seems to be especially strong with this game. I hope that issues with the code are what is holding it back the most, as those are at least things that can be corrected over time.

#8077 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyBug:

Hey everybody! Just a reminder that we'll be going live on Facebook tomorrow morning at 10AM Central to do a fun Q&A hangout. If you can't make it, feel free to send those questions in to us on Facebook or Pinside! See you there

Any big news from this? Will it be posted anywhere other than fb?

#8116 1 year ago
swearwolves (resized).jpgswearwolves (resized).jpg
#8179 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

1197 with nitro - spooky said game is on line and I already paid distro couple week ago. Wondering same previous posts show 2-4 weeks to ship

I feel like they are just trying to get as many of the remaining BSE and SE orders paid up as possible right now. They probably don't want to start allocating parts or risk delays because some buyers can't complete their purchases.

#8185 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I was wondering the same thing - but I hope in truth they are going on the line. They mentioned in their Q&A they often have to wait months for payment. Hoping that doesnt stop them producing the games for those who have paid.

I'm sure they are going on the line... eventually. It just seems like there's a 300 game spread of buyers now getting notice that their build is coming up. My distro said BSEs have not yet hit the line. We haven't even seen a picture of one yet.

#8206 1 year ago

I am wondering how long Spooky is going to be referred to like they are a fledgling pinball company. I don't think that card can be played any longer. For example, most people consider JJP to be a major pinball manufacturer and hold their feet firmly to the fire with production issues. Yet JJP is only about 1 year older than Spooky and Spooky has actually shipped more titles than JJP at this point. JJP also had several titles that sold less units than HWN/UM (and TS4 may end up included in that!). HWN/UM was also priced comparably to the launch price of GnR.

imo, it's time they start making games with the same expected level of polish, engineering, and design as the big boys. No more exposed electronics and lamp sockets, missing LE/CE plaques, rampant code bugs, over-reliance on servos, thin playfields, failing powdercoat, misplaced lane guides, misplaced assemblies, NO MANUALS, etc. (hey, I can dream). I have been a big Spooky supporter in the past, but I expect more from them now than I did when they were just starting out.

#8418 1 year ago

Man I thought this was mostly gone but had friends over yesterday so booted up Halloween as it's what they all wanted to play, the new pretty shiny game. Course the recurring problem was back in full force and about 95% of every game started was giving us the drop target reset problem. Hit the start button, the center drops reset and quickly trigger giving away free successful skillshots. In several instances I didn't even know it was possible, but it would trigger MULTIPLE successful skillshots? Wait how? The drop would fall and reset doing one or two free skillshot bonuses in a row. This has been an on and off problem but it's almost consistent now and frustrating as this problem with the drop only happens on the reset of a new ball turn. Again switch tests proving nothing wrong and the black cap is present on the center drop targets.

Just an idea, but it may be worth checking to see if that target is warped at all. They don't make drop targets like they used to. I have installed replacement drop targets in working assemblies only to have them not want to stay up. A very slight curve to the target is all it takes. I have fixed them by heating with a lighter and straightening them out.

#8452 1 year ago

it's the center drop target of the central 3 drops. Upon ball reset during start of game or between balls, the target will sometimes go up for reset, but it triggers back down immediately and pops back up scoring free skillshot success. Others have had similar on the same bank of targets but that it's triggering the other targets and causing instant skillshot misses. Mine when it happens is the center target of the 3. You see it pop back up then goes down and up again real quick.

I don't have my HWN, but unless they are computer controlled drop targets, nothing 'triggers' the drop target back down. It's just not successfully catching on the bracket at the top. The plastic target has a lip that barely catches on the top edge of the metal assembly to hold it up. If the lip slips off of the edge of the bracket, the target is able to be pulled down by the spring. The game is then detecting this and popping the target back up.

It's hard to say if there could be something more to it with this particular assembly, but this does sound like a physical/mechanical problem. Did you take the target out and inspect it? You may need to set it on a flat surface to see if it's warped. You could also try just swapping it out, or swapping your targets around to see if the problem moves.

#8462 1 year ago

Yea all sound like good ideas for me to try, now I just gotta figure out how to access the drop assembly, there seems to be a board of some sort in front of it that I will need to study on how to move out.

Usually, the whole drop target assembly is wired to the machine via a molex connector right next to it (again, not sure about HWN). You can disconnect it and then there's just a few screws holding the assembly to the playfield. Once those are out, you can pull the whole assembly out to test and swap targets. With some games it can be possible to swap targets without removing the assembly, but this requires some serious dexterity. I'm sure there are yt videos on this.

#8465 1 year ago

This is what it looks like: https://imgproxy.pinside.com/DGSXtVXldERzqmVgi-p1o4PCGZ8uCAEDEQoJxCD2ecM/rs:fit:2048:2048/q:70/aHR0cHM6Ly9vLnBpbnNpZGUuY29tL2IvYzYvYTAvYmM2YTAzMDkwN2Y4ODE2MDUxNzI0ODBlY2VmODI2OGU1YzI4NzhkMS5qcGc

The targets with their caps and screws are on the inside sandwiched between the drop assembly and that circuit board thingie

That's definitely a little different than what I am used to seeing.

#8511 1 year ago

I just got invoiced for my BSE too and my distro says he already has the machine. It looks like BSE production is well underway.

#8529 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Same! #1050 was picked up some time this morning. Delivery (supposedly) Tuesday. Hm.. now I need to tell my wife... LOL

I'm hoping you'll post some pictures so I can see what I just bought before I get mine. It's a little concerning to me that we still haven't seen pictures of a BSE. I'm preparing to expect something unexpected.

#8532 1 year ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

There has to be a cheaper way to do this than $230 plus shipping. Amazon has touch screen monitors for less than $50

It's probably just an HDMI splitter going to both monitors.

#8536 1 year ago

Yeah, I've seen that, but it's just a photoshop mockup as far as I can tell. I was hoping to see more details on the powder coating, at least, and what it looks like on the game. It just looks black/grey there.

#8538 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Gotcha. My impression was that the powder is the same as on the CE; I think? I read that in this thread. But I guess we'll find out soon -

No, it's supposed to be some sort of pearlescent black. Indeed we will find out soon!

#8542 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I suspect it’s the black of the speaker covers on the CE…very nice if it is.

I *think* you are correct. I would love to see what it looks like on the game.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Aah that actually makes sense - I remember Luke confirming this; that's what I was thinking of.

See, you didn't even know what color was going to be on the game that is already being delivered because we haven't seen pictures!

#8546 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Carpenter is a BIG deal in our house, so I was buying this game no question.

Same here. I am a classic horror and b-movie nut and JC is my favorite director. The theme was enough that I had to get in on this game for better or worse. There's just not enough serious horror titles out there.

#8559 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

This video shows it off nicely.

Do we know for sure this is exactly what is on the BSEs currently being built? I think that would look better than the gold. If that's it, I'm looking forward to seeing it on a HWN.

Quoted from Roostking:

Spooky can I have BSE armor?

Ha! That'd be fair... if BSE owners can buy the topper, knife shooter rod and pumpkin speaker covers!

#8563 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

But then you would have that "Halloween" topper and "Halloween" on back glass overload. That's why it's deleted on the CE edition.

I'm not saying that *I* would buy the topper. I don't even particularly care for toppers. I would get those speaker covers though. I'm planning to make my own as it stands. My point was really that the special edition parts probably shouldn't be available for open purchase anyway.

#8631 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

This is why these new-fangled SMT parts kinda suck... you roast a TIP102 like that, it makes lots of smoke but it's on legs and the board is largely spared, can be fixed with a soldering iron. How the hell do you repair this mess?

This is the first I noticed that the transistors on this game are surface mount. Yikes.

#8637 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Is that potentially a problem? I’m not super board savvy.

Transistors work hard and are probably the most common component to fail on a board. Also, when they fail they sometimes burn up. Usually they are through-hole components and can be replaced with just a little soldering skill. Even the last PinHeck board and JJP's boards, which use a lot of surface mount stuff, still use through-hole transistors for these reasons. For most people, a bad transistor on this board will mean sending the board out for repair at best, or needing a whole replacement board because the transistor burned.

#8676 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Powdercoat looks really nice - almost like the gold and black are inverted from the CE. Works real nice.

Does the powder look like this in person? Because it sure doesn't look the same in your photos.

#8688 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Horrible photos incoming!

Thank you for taking the time to post the photos. That looks closer to what I was expecting, but I thought it was going to be a smooth surface from how it looks in that hinge video. No big deal, but this is why I have been wanting to see it before I get mine. Congrats on getting your game delivered issue free. It looks fantastic!

#8701 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Only issue I really had was that the cabinet seems slightly askew, making the glass not quite fit. I almost broke it trying to the lock bar put back on. Had to realign the front right corner to get the glass pushed up enough to push the lockbar down. I’ll investigate later - not actually sure if the cabinet is out of alignment or if the glass channel needs to be adjusted.

My AMH cabinet twists more than average when I move it. If Spooky hasn't changed their cabinet design since then, you may just need to move it or adjust the leg levelers to keep more even pressure. Just a thought.

#8709 1 year ago

I hadn't received an update in a while, but just got a call out of the blue from the shipper that my BSE is coming tomorrow.

#8764 1 year ago

I got my BSE 1066 today without a scratch on the box. I've only had time for a few games so far, but everything appears to be working and looking good. (It was even inspected by Bug.) The BSE armor really does look phenomenal! It does have an orange peel texture to it and it's very hard to show it off in photos, but in person it really pops with an orange and silver sparkle. It's worth noting that this may also be one of the best looking playfields I have ever seen.

BSE1 (resized).jpgBSE1 (resized).jpgBSE2 (resized).jpgBSE2 (resized).jpg
#8777 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If you buy a BSE, can you buy the topper and knife shooter and how much?

FWIW - There are no holes in the top of the backbox on the BSE.

#8779 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Congrats man. I know your wait has been long and anxious.

Was it that obvious? haha

Definitely let me know if you're ever up for some games. I think you're the only person I've seen with a crazier wishlist than me. and I actually used to live on blvd and bates!

#8941 1 year ago
Quoted from Jenniebear:

Do the BSE editions not come with a numbered badge? I didn’t get one on my screen bezel.

They were definitely supposed to be included, but my BSE didn't seem to come with one either. I know they were running behind on the plaques for the CEs at some points in production. That could be all it is, but I did send Spooky a note about it.

Feature Matrix - Halloween BSE (resized).pngFeature Matrix - Halloween BSE (resized).png
#8947 1 year ago
Quoted from Jenniebear:

I just asked Spooky and they said “NO”. I’m not really sure why they had it on the build sheet to now say it’s not included?

Quoted from metallik:

Blurb says BSE plaque, doesn't say anything about numbered. Hopefully they'll send the unnumbered plaque soon.

That's kinda messed up. Even if it's not numbered, the plaque was one of the few upgrades advertised for the BSE. It should definitely be included for the price of the upgrade.

#8952 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just checked - the actual shop page where you could buy the game does not list the plaque. Bummer. I too thought it was included.

Honestly, that's not my problem. It was officially advertised at the time I put down my deposit with a distro. This will now be the 3rd Spooky game I bought that was supposed to come with a plaque, but didn't. What's so difficult about making these little plastics as promised?

#8962 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Are we really mad about a small plastic piece that has no function. 1) Future players will know it’s a BSE if they really want to know. 2) I’m sure a 3D printer can print a great looking 3D BSE badge if you really want. Here we go…Plasticgate.

There's always at least one of you guys and it's the reason these little things get dismissed over and over again. If there was something missing from the CEs that was promised, this would have received more attention. Yes, it's a little thing... So is the shaker, speaker light kit, and knocker, but I still paid a hefty premium for them.

#8992 1 year ago
Quoted from delawarejason:

I have a CE and I never got my plaque either. I have called a few times and mostly never got a reply on my plaque or my playfield issues. When I did get Squirrel, she said she would get it in the mail ASAP. That was a few months ago.

I really hope they end up coming through for you. CE or BSE, large or small, I think we should all receive what was clearly advertised with our games. It doesn't need to be rationalized or itemized with a calculator.

Look, I'm really liking what Spooky has done with this game, but the BSEs are absolutely a special edition model that was supposed to come with a plaque. Bug even talks about it in this promo video starting around 1:25. Maybe someone from Spooky can chime in about this.

#9002 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyBug:

The BSE owners WILL in fact be getting a numbered plaque yes! Also, every time I see you post in here I get hungry for the box of Frankenberry that is in my cupboard.

RAD!! Thank you for clearing this up, Bug.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#9076 1 year ago

I think what happens over time the back board bends back. Some people have bent it back down. But this will just keep happening. A different shaped scoop might not bend as easily. Like I just replied, I picked one up but am too lazy to install it. Someone on this thread took some pics of a swapped out version.

After some tweaking, I've got the ball going into the hole on successful shots most of the time. What's happening on mine is that the ball seems to be hitting the bottom of the plastic subway and bouncing straight back up and out again. I'm thinking of putting some foam there or something, but the ball still needs to be able to roll cleanly through the subway...

#9078 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All that said, I dont have too many issues with rejects - my issue is much more consistently with the center ramp shots bouncing off the diverter (I think that’s what is happening) and then immediately SDTM.

I know a few people had their diverter break from this issue. Amazingly, my center ramp shoots smooth as glass and it's the left ramp that rattles frequently, particularly when backhanding the shot. I haven't figured out the fix for that just yet.

#9166 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Close! Halloween TV version. Extra footage filmed in 1981 during Halloween II. Loomis pleads with Smith Grove to transfer Michael to maximum security. They decline. He tells Michael in May, 1964 “you’ve fooled them, haven’t you? But not me.”

Another fun fact about the tv version... there is a scene with Laurie and Linda at Laurie's house, and the interior that was used was actually Nancy's house from A Nightmare on Elm Street!

#9172 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok, now THAT is a fact I actually did not know. They left that out of the hundreds of documentaries I've seen

Now see the documentary they didn't want you to see...

#9192 1 year ago
Quoted from timtim:

Ok online it says the back box is 27” across. Is the the actual measurement?
Just wondering for when I have to move it?

I just measured. It's just under 29".

#9203 1 year ago

I moved my BSE into the lineup and I have been up late playing every night since I got it. I have almost 200 plays on it already with my best score being 74 million. I have to say, I'm sorry I doubted this game, because it really is a lot of fun and it also ties into the movie beautifully. I have become a believer. So, THANK YOU Spooky team for doing a classic horror movie justice!

Amazingly, I also have yet to need to raise the playfield. I don't think I've ever made it this far before with any new game. The playfield surface still looks incredibly nice too, which is really something these days.

I do have some thoughts on the code, but I know a big update is around the corner, so will see what that brings to the game.

20220922_001925 (resized).jpg20220922_001925 (resized).jpg
#9228 1 year ago

The new code I think will be what possibly finally brings it all together. There is warts in the presentation and think some gameplay tweaks would be great, so seeing what they do with the update is going to be exciting as it could really make this feel finally complete. It's really fun and come a long way, it just needs a little bit more to really shine and feel "done"

Agreed. There's a lot to like and the potential is there. It's mostly just a little rough around the edges with the content on the display, the timing of some events, and some of the callouts. The only significant thing that I think needs to be worked out is how the House mode dominates the display when it's active. It's pretty easy to keep starting House mode and I find myself deliberately avoiding it sometimes so that I can see the UI and animations/clips from the pumkin mode I'm in. Sanitarium mode kind of has the same issue, but I get that less often and it usually doesn't last as long.

#9231 1 year ago

See I get that with the Sanitarium and hate the music and the animation that plays. Also Sanitarium feels like it locks out alot of play till it's over so I hate that mode and seem to have harder time ending it than House Mode which I find more intriguing and fun

Yeah, they both have the same issue. It's hard to tell what else is actually being locked out or just isn't showing up on the display. And agreed, that sanitarium animation is probably the worst one in the entire game and it overrides everything else. I do like the music though

#9273 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I have been following your comments along the way! I'm really happy to see this! I don't think we are going to let you down on code. Spooky Bug and the other Luke have some very impressive stuff up their sleeve.

Wow, thanks SpookyLuke. I know I am often a critic, but I appreciate that you still respond to feedback and aren't afraid to wade into these shark infested waters. You guys absolutely nailed this theme and I can't wait to see what's next.

#9368 1 year ago
Quoted from finnflash:

My thought was you could hit it over and over. but if it's meant to be hit 1 at a time, mine might be dialed in also.

Quoted from Pinash:

When mine was dialed in perfect, the ball would barely dribble back on to the tip of the flipper. Then I’d have to flail once our twice to get control, and then hit the loop and again.
I’ve never had it be a repeatable shot though.

Hmmm. It's very repeatable on mine. I get two pretzels in a row pretty often and have had three a few times too. I remember reading something about people adjusting the end of the ball guide upwards slightly where it returns to flipper, but I haven't done anything to mine.

#9381 1 year ago

Halloween moved up a few spots in the top 100 today. If you guys really want to help with the ranking, you should probably enter your ratings for the BSE and SE too. Those aren't as choked up with reviews from maroons who played the game once at a show and got mad about losing balls in the inlane lifters, so the average can bring the whole grouping up.

#9385 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:I will revise my review once new code comes in. Game to me is all high marks, but still lacks in polish in the presentation. If they are updating the videos, adding new animations, and adding to it with the next update then I'm sure my ranking will go up.

Yup, I think it's only fair to leave room in the ratings for this machine to grow. It's not finished yet.

#9461 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Thank you for sharing that. Mine appears to be a gap issue and not a height transition issue. But I will try that and see.

FWIW, the gap between the post and the ball guide on mine looks to be about the same as yours and I have never had a ball get stuck in that spot, so the height of the ramp may be a factor. If I just got the game and that was stopping me from playing, I would just stick something in there temporarly to fill the gap until I can figure it out. Maybe jam a folded up flipper rubber in the gap?

#9479 1 year ago

I'm curious, what are some strategies for getting the ball under control on the sanitarium playfield? I find that I usually just start sanitarium with lucky bounces after making right ramp shots. Once I do shoot the upper scoop, I can usually keep the ball up there long enough to start the multiball too. But it kind of sucks when I lose the ball before starting the mb, because I have a heck of a time getting the ball back up there in a controlled manner. What I will sometimes do is start Bob&Linda so I can get up to the house and then let the ball drop down to the sanitarium. I'm not sure if there's a better way or if my sanitarium pf needs adjusted somewhere.

Oddly, the only time I feel like I am frequently in control of the sanitarium pf is when House mode is active, but you really don't want to be on the sanitarium playfield during that mode so you are better off letting it drain out.

#9488 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

There just might be an options setting in the forthcoming code that will help with reaching the middle playfield. Beyond that, adjusting the flipper position can reduce the number of balls the exit immediately. That's the issue I run into the most often. The entrance is so fast. If you are just struggling for control up there in general, the main thing is to cradle up and treat every shot as a backhand. Just don't do an extreme backhand or you'll fall back down the right ramp.

Thanks Luke, it could be the flipper position. Once I have it on the flipper, I'm good. It's more an issue of the ball immediately exiting the sanitarium pf, whether that flipper is down or up. Like you said, the ball enters the pf so fast it's hard to get a live shot in. Sometimes it's slower or I get lucky and it bounces off of the right side and back to the left, which gives me a chance at flipping it. I wouldn't say it's a problem really, I'm just not sure what's 'normal' behavior.

#9546 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Try setting your SFX between 50-60%, that way you can turn up volume and have the music louder without the SFX being overbearing.

I put quite a bit of trial and error into this and this is what worked best on mine.

SFX MODIFIER = 75
VOICE MODIFIER = 45

The voice modifier is ok up to 55, but the volume of callouts is inconsistent, so some come through louder and you can hear the hiss behind them.

#9553 1 year ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

Speaking of music/sounds, has this made it into the game yet? "Black cats and goblins and broomsticks and ghosts, Covens of witches with all of their hosts, You may think they scare me, You're probably right, Black cats and goblins, On Halloween night, Trick or treat!

It's definitely in there. I think I heard it during Hedge MB?

#9587 1 year ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

I can't explain what it is exactly, for me it just feel lacking on the sound package.

I have an AIQ next to it, when I push the start button, it feel much better: "Hammer sound blending with a whoompf then the music blend in and then menacing voice blend in, etc". Every sound & music blend perfectly within each other."

On Halloween, when I push the start button: " Pause, super loud yelling, pause, music start"...I think it just need someone to master it to blend everything together.

Anyway, I'm not all negative on that game. I mean, best art package ever, shoots well and to code is good, but the sound package... it's not there yet...

I somewhat agree because there are places where (imo) there should be sound effects, but there isn't. No sound effect for pressing the start button was the very first thing I noticed when I played my first game. There are also some rough audio transitions and callouts that trip over eachother, etc. I have only noticed the music cutout a few times during very long modes. Like others said, you can try setting the balance for the callouts and sound fx (I use fx=75, voice=45) which will help with some of the 'yelling'. I'm waiting to see what the next code update brings before I get too nitpicky with this stuff, though.

#9591 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Has anyone created target decals for the drops? I've gotten feedback from a couple people that they look "thrown in" and out of place. Now that it's been brought to my attention, I agree.

I'm hoping it's only a matter of time...

3fa35b33118caf9d4b89055fb105e1550636e32f (resized).png3fa35b33118caf9d4b89055fb105e1550636e32f (resized).png
#9612 1 year ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

Yes I think its a must have. I can't imagine the pin without it. It's very well done as are all his mods.

+1. It's like it was meant to be there.

#9684 1 year ago

I was thinking last night - Has anyone tried blacking out the tinted plastics for the LED light strips? Is there benefit to having them be transparent instead of opaque? It seems like this would barely affect the light shows while concealing most of the strips from direct line-of-sight. Maybe even just doing it to the strips that face the player... I don't think the light strips look bad, but wondering if this would be a cheap way to make them look even better.

I've also considered capping the strips with a half-pipe of frosted rubber tubing, but that would be more complicated to source and install for testing.

#9696 1 year ago
Quoted from John_C:

I came up with a cover for the LED strips a few months back. Using a modified lens made for aluminum LED light channels, I simply attached it over the top of the strips using very thin cable ties.

The harshness of the LED direct light has been replaced by nice diffused glows. Brightness is not affected at all and I still have my LED strips turned down from the default.

The result is exactly what I was looking for.

I liked what you came up with and was looking to possibly expand on it. I was thinking a half-pipe of tubing might diffuse the light more and also add more protection from ball strikes. It's just a thought at this point though. I may try blacking out some of the tinted plastics to see how that looks too.

#9709 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't care less what tournament guys think. They are an odd bunch and typically not the target audience.

They sure are vocal on the forums these days, though. I don't fully understand how people who hold zero value in artwork, music, sound effects, display animations, light shows, build quality, mechs, or even theme, think that their opinion on games is the most valid. Do they even find pinball to be FUN anymore?

#9712 1 year ago

My best friends are tournament players. Obviously, what I said doesn't apply to the majority, but there are those types of players.

#9721 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

The idea that tournament players don't value these things is just ridiculous. Y'all need to get out more.

Are you joking? There are definitely these types of players and they admit as much too. I have a friend that turns off the volume on his own pins because he finds it distracting. He says he doesn't care what the theme of a game is whatsoever, even when I pressed him with the 'justin beiber' hypothetical pin. I have also been ridiculed on here for buying pins based on theme. Maybe part of it is the threads I happen to follow, I dunno.

#9724 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

A few tournament players, sure... there's oddballs in every hobby. Most players I know appreciate most/all aspects of the games.

I never said all, or even the majority. Just that there are some very vocal ones on pinside. I even made a 2nd post to clarify that. So I guess we more or less agree.

#9754 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Food critics review the dishes they eat. So I guess I’m fine with someone who managed to finish ‘Bob and Linda mode’ but nothing else in the game reviewing that mode. But when theyve only seen that one mode and then goes on to leave a 1 star review saying the entire game sucks then yeah… ive got a prob with that. Imagine being a world class chef and someone with no prior knowledge of your craft comes into your restaurant and only orders the bread then leaves a shitty review saying “This restaurant sucks. I didn’t understand anything on the menu so I ordered bread. F this place I’m going to Burger King. It’s cheaper and I know what a burger is”. Wouldn’t that seem …kinda ignorant?
After reading every single review for Halloween I can tell you with certainty that many of the lower reviews comments allude to the fact that they do not have a firm understanding of the game.
And no, I do not respect the opinions of people who do not know what they are talking about. Why should I? Just because they are a human person and therefore even their lazy undereducated opinions matter? Nah. If I can tell you spent the time, learned every aspect of the game, have executed its objectives and saw everything it has to offer THEN I will respect your opinion AND your criticisms.

You have given bad reviews to many games that are generally well liked. Did you get to the wizard mode on every one of those games before leaving a review?

fwiw, I do think too many reviewers post negative reviews after only playing a game just once or twice at a show.

#9760 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yes, yes I did. With the exception of JJP GnR which I just can’t stand for many reasons I won’t get into here. Also, I don’t believe I have ever left any “bad” reviews. My lowest rating is like 6.3. That’s a C. All pinball is fun and I’m not the type to totally dog a game in a permanent review just because I don’t like it. I HATE JJP GnR…but, great art package, the sound and lighting is phenomenal, the LE has a forward thinking layout…it’s just not something I’m going to buy for myself or for location. My feelings about it does not make it a bad game. So, I wrote a bunch of hilarious shit in the review but I gave it a C. Best of both worlds haha.

Impressive. I still think a 6.X is a pretty poor rating, maybe more like a D than a C, but fair enough. There are a lot worse ratings from people with a lot less play time.

#9761 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm very happy to say I've had basically none of the issues that have been posted about - I've only had my game a month, and the only real issue I had was the glass not lining up (which was my fault - game was not as level as I thought!), and I have to make an adjustment to the magnet/dump ramp that holds the ball after a successful crossover. It does not cleanly load the ball into the wireform, and usually bounces out onto the playfield. The fix is easy, I just haven't gotten to it yet

We must have got our games at a great time because I also haven't had an issues with my game yet. *knock on wood*. I still havent had to lift the playfield and I have well over 300 games in so far. I am never this lucky.

#9774 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yes, yes I did. With the exception of JJP GnR which I just can’t stand for many reasons I won’t get into here. Also, I don’t believe I have ever left any “bad” reviews. My lowest rating is like 6.3. That’s a C. All pinball is fun and I’m not the type to totally dog a game in a permanent review just because I don’t like it. I HATE JJP GnR…but, great art package, the sound and lighting is phenomenal, the LE has a forward thinking layout…it’s just not something I’m going to buy for myself or for location. My feelings about it does not make it a bad game. So, I wrote a bunch of hilarious shit in the review but I gave it a C. Best of both worlds haha.

And now I see you went back and downvoted me once again just for asking this question, even tho I followed up with a respectful response. Man, you are really policing the hell out if this thread. I think i have more downvotes from just you in this one thread than from anyone else the entire time I have been on pinside. Stay classy.

4 months later
#13070 1 year ago

It seems any mode is taken over by house. Any mode that requires the center ramp. If you could increase the difficulty to qualify house or the number of times you can start house would maybe help. Like once you’ve started/competed house, you shouldn’t be able to start it again after 3 center ramp shots. Or make it so house can’t overwhelm other modes. I’m not complaining just spit balling. 1.10 is definitely the best version so far.

I have been playing pretty steadily since the 1.10 code drop. Played at least 20+ games with my better scores being the 70mil range. I am really liking this update overall, especially the changes with Sanitarium mode. Being able to access the house playfield to get the ball onto the Sanitarium playfield in a controlled manner makes that mode much less of a slog. I haven't had any issues with extra balls being put into play or animations getting stuck on the screen like some others have. A few callouts got cut short during the end of game sequence, but that's about it.

I agree with the above about the House mode, though. I know it's been said before, but this mode just takes over the game and is too easy to start, even by accident. There are other modes that require that middle ramp shot and innevitably you are going to keep starting House in the middle of them, then it's back to the slow, plodding music and the UI/animations for the mode you were in no longer displaying properly. This is especially problematic for the Bob & Linda mode, because it shares so many shots with the House mode. I am thinking that House, and possibly also Sanitarium, should only take over the display and audio when you are not in any other mode. Push these to the back burner, because one of them is almost always running. Sanitarium is less troublesome only because you have to deliberately be shooting for it to start it. Maybe changing the way House mode is started would also help.

I have a few other thoughts, but this is a great update and big step in the right direction. I appreciate that Spooky continues to support this game.

2 months later
#14201 11 months ago

I'll say again that the change I want to see most is with how the House and Sanitarium modes stack with other modes. The House mode especially is too easy to start and the way that the animations, UI and audio from those modes overrule any pumpkin modes or other things you are progressing through in the game is a drag. Stacking bugs aside, at least just bump these modes to the background and only have their animations and audio play when there aren't other modes running. Really there are a number of ways to potentially handle it better. This would reduce the use of that Sanitarium animation that everyone hates too. Maybe this isn't as big of an issue for people who can't make that center ramp shot consistently, but for me it sucks getting into House multiple times per game and hearing the same 4 note tune play for most of the game, while I can't hear or see anything related to the other modes I am going through.

#14204 11 months ago

You mean the current mode stays on and the new mode gets pushed to the back? Stacking modes always is kind of the same issue in all games, one mode takes over essentially while one runs in the background. The main PF modes are considered the main modes in the game while pumpkin modes are kind of the secondary ones. So not sure if going the other way around really changes much cause then you got modes that don't go away, which are what pumpkin modes are as all but one of them has a timer, while main pf modes do have timers usually or end states that don't involve ball drains.

I'm saying that house and sanitarium get pushed to the back when there is a stack, period. They are only 2 modes, but I am almost always in one of them. It's becoming 'House Mode - The Game' for me, and honestly it's not even that fun of a mode aside from the pretzel shot. It usually involves several trips back up to the top playfield to complete it. It doesn't stack well with other modes. And when it does end, I often find myself back in it again before long... pretty much every ball unless I can get the super jackpot. You need that ramp shot for lots of things.

There are a lot more pumpkin modes to mix things up when they are displaying properly. It seems to me that at least a handful of them have timers, but I'd be fine with having all of them on timers if that's not already the case. Most modes in any other game can time out, so nothing unusual about that. I guess I am just getting tired of hearing and seeing the same mode so frequently, no matter how many pumpkin modes or other modes get added to the game.

#14206 11 months ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I think Sanitarium can functionally stay the way it, because at least you have to make a purposeful shot to start it. The problem with House is that it starts without you wanting it to by doing something else (hitting one of the main shots). There really needs to be a way to start it purposely versus just by playing other modes.

Not saying this is the best option, but if "Unlock House" was a 1 blood item in the shop, then you could unlock it when you wanted to go for it, but not slip into it while trying to accomplish other things. Something like this would seem to solve everyone's problem.

Yes, exactly. You can't avoid starting House mode with the current setup. Having the mode start a different way could also help.

Like I said, there are a number of different ways to potentially help with this issue. Changing the mode display/audio priority was just one relatively simple idea.

2 weeks later
#14491 10 months ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Interested in Halloween, I was wondering if the standard edition has been released yet. I see on Spookys website its sold out but dont seem to be any around. Will they be making a big run of standards? Is the demand there for them?

They are out there, but Spooky didn't make very many SE's or BSE's. The run of Halloween was almost all CE's.

#14584 10 months ago

I played a handful of games so far. Some quick notes...

I experienced the false ballsaver one time. The light was flashing, but no save.

My speaker lights are stuck in the red/white chaser pattern from the boot sequence. A reboot did not clear the issue.

The new animation for Sanitarium is a great upgrade!

There are a few places where the music seems to be missing now, like the match sequence and during the instructions for slasher mode. The game is dead silent.

Really liking the improved transition timing with the video clips! The game plays a bit faster now. I think things are on the right track.

#14586 10 months ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Auto plunge no issues I’m assuming?

No, seems the same as before on mine.

#14610 10 months ago

Do you remember when it was? So far ball save has worked for me except in Bob and Lynda, sdtm while lit and the save was not working. Other modes so far I haven't noticed any issue and let it drain on purpose too.

It was during a mode start, but I don't remember which one. I have been keeping an eye out for it, but so far it hasn't happend again.

I had House and Bob & Linda stacked and made the crossover shot to start the MB. The 'special' Linda clip played without audio for the MB start sequence.

I also have had several times where the blood store would not show the number of blood required for each award. I could be wrong, but there were also times when I thought that the blood store should be open, but it would go straight to the mode select when I shot the pumpkin scoop.

I got to the First Kill mode and saw some new clips and animations. It's great to see some footage of Donald Pleasence in the game now too!

2 weeks later
#15010 9 months ago

Still on my original servos with around 600 plays. Be sure to shut off that 'subway wave' setting that triggers all 3 servos with a ramp shot, if you don't need it. That will greatly reduce the wear and tear on the servos.

2 months later
#15717 7 months ago

I like the increased multiplier for blood collected. The issue that I was having was that buying points from the blood store was almost always more lucrative than holding onto blood, so I would only see DtEB when I was trying to see it. Maybe the points should be removed from the blood store now that blood earns points in a different way?

#15723 7 months ago

This sound effect keeps getting cutoff early for me.

- Skillshot: if you hit targets in the drop bank you’ll hear thunder and/or smashing glass SFXs.

I like the new behavior for the pumpkin scoop flasher. The pulsing glow when the scoop is lit is something that I always felt was missing. It should be lit when the shot is lit.

2 weeks later
#15876 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

So awesome. I’m grateful for the handful of classic John C. films I watch over and over. I’ve seen Halloween hundreds of times. Such a masterpiece. I never noticed the fly in the pumpkin until the other day. He appears around 1:11 during the opening titles when Jamie Lee’s name appears. Never noticed it before.

I think it helps that we have access to such great quality prints of these movies now. I recently watched The Thing in 4k and noticed for the first time that the doctor has a nose ring! I have probably seen that movie 20+ times.

1 week later
#15968 6 months ago

Isn't there another planned update coming for Halloween (the holiday)? It may be worth just waiting for that to drop before updating. It's definitely worth updating if you are on old code.

2 weeks later
#16107 5 months ago

Thanks and Happy Halloween to m4tt and team Spooky! Amazing work on these recent updates.

#16213 5 months ago

FWIW, I played a handful of games since the update and have not experienced any issues so far. No servo twitches/fails or extra balls in in the shooter lane. I got to Jack-O mb and the audio was intact for the intro clip. I have a late production BSE with the original servos at something like 700+ plays. I have always run the game with the 'subway wave' and 'mike bump' adjustments for the servos set to OFF.

#16246 5 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I actually had the thought of why it is needed to have the mike bumps all the time. If they only move for hedge shots there may be a lot less failures? Thank you for mentioning to turn them off in settings-I need to do that.

I believe that these options were added to combat servo creep issues on some machines. If you don't have any issues with the home position of your servos drifting over time, then it seems to me that setting these options to OFF/NO would save a lot of wear and tear on your servos. Personally, I think it looks better only having a Michael pop out when you hit the respective hedge shot too.

#16247 5 months ago

I have some free time so I a put a lot more games on Halloween. The latest code is RAD!! I am really loving this game now and glad I stuck with it. There was a lot of cleanup in the recent updates and it shows. I have not even checked out the wizard mode yet because I don't want to spoil it before I can get there on my own. However, I did run into a few minor issues today, mostly with insert lighting...

-When starting Sanitarium multiball, when the upper-right shot is flashing on the Sanitarium playfield to start the 3-ball mb, the drop target shot is also flashing but that shot does nothing.

-The ballsaver is not lighting at the start of most modes, but the ballsaver is still active.

-The lighting for the hurry-up shots at the end of pumpkin modes are frequently delayed and only lighting about 5 seconds into the timer counting down.

-I did have an instance of the Jack-O mb intro not having any audio. I collected an extra ball with the scoop shot at the same time, which seemed to override the start of the clip.

-I did have an instance of the house graphic phasing in and out over the pumpkin mode selection screen.

-My right lifter activates repeatedly during DTEB.

#16300 5 months ago

My home use HWN has been solid. I am still on my original servos too. I only lifted the playfield one time and that was to take a look at the drop target bank. For me, some black dust had just built up on the targets and they weren't sliding cleanly through the mech like they needed to. I also replaced the deflector shield with an upgraded one. Really, the game has been a tank, but I know not everyone has had the same luck.

3 weeks later
#16427 4 months ago

You can eliminate that oily, wet look by sliding a sheet of paper between the protector and the screen and pulling it back out.

2 months later
#16662 65 days ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

Do people usually change both transmitter and receiver or is one part more prone to failure?

Usually, it's the transmitter that fails. With some digital cameras/cell phone cameras, you can see the light from the LED on the transmitter just like any other LED. This is the first thing I check for when I suspect an opto issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 49.99
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=betelgeuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.