IMG_3589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3590 (resized).jpeg
Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

An what Spooky does offer will soon get repetitive and boring after a few weeks of play.
I will be very surprised if this game remains in anyone's collection beyond 2 months

And the award for douchtastic post of the week goes to ….

Lol!

Personally, I welcome pins that play a little different to the norm. I’m tired of all the Sterns, they all play much the same after a while. Now they’re all even looking much the same.

From the videos I’ve seen, there is good progress in making Halloween have some sort of suspense or tension - something that not many other pins have been successful in doing.

Vive la difference! Bring it on.

rd

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

We've got rotordave's official endorsement! What more do we need!?

Prayers?

Lol

rd

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

We are praying to get our machines before the Australians

You know we will.

rd

3 weeks later
#219 2 years ago
Quoted from cconway84:

If it was mine I’d switch out the cheap plastic knife in the shooter lane for a real knife asap.

Imagine Spookys legal liability if someone cut themselves on a really sharp knife they’d installed in the pin.

Wouldn’t end well!

rd

2 weeks later
#486 2 years ago

The whole “people are dumping Halloween” thing is so fucking ridiculous.

Currently there are 17 total preorders for sale. Out of 1250 spots.

= 1.36%

Compare with:

Mandolorian LE - currently 12 for sale out of 750.

= 1.6%

TMNT LE - currently 6 out of 500 for sale.

= 1.2%

Godzilla LE - currently 12 out of 1000 for sale.

= 1.2%

GNR LE - plenty for sale, hard to percentage as we don’t know how many they’ve made.

Numbers are totally in line with every other recently released machine.

As the figures above show, some people buy games on a whim, then flick them on. Sometimes for a profit. Sometimes not.

Remember those cheap Stranger Things and GOTG in the first six months of release? I got offered a near new ST Pro for $4500 at one stage. Nobody wanted them. Fast forward 18 mths, they’re not $4500 any more.

rd

#487 2 years ago

^^^^

Revisiting that post, another thing to consider is that a lot of Stern games go overseas. Spookies not so much. I would guess less than 50 Halloweens are headed off shore.

And of course, Pinside ads are mostly US based.

So those Stern numbers are probably more like

Mandolorian LE - 12 out of estimated 500 US sales (250 exported)

= 2.4%. Could be more.

Etc etc.

Makes the Halloween claims even more dumb.

rd

#490 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That doesn't include already sold spots

Neither do the others.

rd

#525 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Definite fade. It's well into the fade zone within 10-15 minutes. Karl was having trouble making the back two ramps later in the stream because the fade was so severe.

A think to note - Karl holds the ball a lot … more than 90% of players would ever do.

Im sure benheck will be able to adjust the coil pulse provided by his new system. That will make a big difference.

It’d be interesting to get his input on it.

rd

#580 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

This happened a few times on the game I was on last night. Anyone else experience this?
[quoted image]

Spooky needs to mount those brackets back a little further … or bevel the sides on more of an angle so the ball will slide off.

rd

#593 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've also never had a ball stuck there on my Ultraman. It must be super close. I would try what Dylan suggests; listen the screw and see if there is a little play.

Just looking at the photo - is this a metal post with a rubber base around it, then the ring on top of that? (Data East style?)

If so, could you just remove that top ring? Bottom rubber should protect the ball well enough … would probably provide an extra few mm of clearance.

rd

3EE03BE7-A1CB-469C-8C8C-1FE43A60A1BE (resized).jpeg3EE03BE7-A1CB-469C-8C8C-1FE43A60A1BE (resized).jpeg
#643 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

He came home..[quoted image]

I like how it rains so little in Texas your house doesn’t have rain gutters ….

My buddies houses in SoCals are the same.

rd

#674 2 years ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Anybody else get a ball stuck here on the top playfield?

If that post was moved back a little, so that ring was on the edge of the guide, the gap would disappear. Problem solved.

rd

B07F79FC-E3AD-4005-8D24-305DC38E935A (resized).jpegB07F79FC-E3AD-4005-8D24-305DC38E935A (resized).jpeg
#927 2 years ago
Quoted from monitorpop:

TheNoTrashCougar games are my favorite to play (over and over again)… so I would be bummed if a 3rd game with Spooky doesn’t happen

Who said that wasn’t happening?

Where does this stuff come from?

rd

#1126 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I think a lot of people including myself were concerned and after last update we are less concerned...
I looked up the profiles of the pinsiders with Halloween's for sale, and 90% never posted on this thread and most had more sales postings than actual forum posts....Looks like flippers or people not into this game just dumping.

Current listings update ... 18/1250 (of all models) up for sale. 1.4%

Look ... lots of people went full FOMOPIN (TM) when Halloween came out ... now they have 3 new pins to FOMOPIN over.

Its just natural that some will not want to wait and they'll bail to jump on the next hype train.

rd

#1147 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You really think only 18 people want out?

Well, you’d think they’d list their games for sale if they wanted out. Ain’t gonna sell if it ain’t for sale!

Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

But throughout human history the masses have always had a desire to be led so we will always have these Jim Jones faith healer types ready to show us the light.

Agree 100% with you here. Just never fails to amaze me how sheeple people are. Not just in this hobby, everywhere.

rd

1 week later
#1347 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Is there a setting for flipper power?

What angle is your playfield at?

rd

#1368 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Cool flowchart, great video going over it. Haters whining about shallow rules please note that it took a 40 minute video to go through them all, LOL.

Yes, I did notice that and also LOLd.

I do note that very often, the people complaining the loudest about “need more code” on certain machines are the people that can’t finish what’s there now.

Just an observation.

rd

#1371 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

How exactly would you substantiate this claim? Sounds like a load of bologna to me.

Duuuudeee … just hang around on Pinside long enough and you’ll see.

The dudes that go on and on and on and on about code are generally not the guys getting to the end of the game.

One guy in the XMen thread (a big user here) kept going on and on and on for YEARS about how there should be a Wizard mode for completing both Heroes and Villains. (Which is pretty impossible to do, for most people). Then one day he let it slip that he’d only ever completed 2 of the 7 (?) villain modes!!

You see it all the time.

Need more content.

Need more modes.

Then you’ll see them post “wow just got my highest score! 80 million! Whooo!!”

Most of these games have got PLENTY of shit in them. The fact (like it or not) is that most people aren’t good enough players to see it all.

- COUNTERPOINT TO MY OWN ARGUMENT -
I can understand why they feel they need more content. Because if you only progress so far in a game, you only see the same 3-4 things all the time. That gets OLD. Fast.
Hence - they feel they need more code. Maybe some games need more user chooseable modes, this would give most people more variety. Some games that come to mind, R&M and JP and IM, they have no real mode selection. Unlike say GOTG or AS or AC/DC where you can choose a different mode every time.

Hey - my 10c.

rd

#1373 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

20 minutes to complete with efficient gameplay. (As proven by IE pinballs most recent stream)

Karl is one of the best competitive pinball players on the planet.

He can finish most games in 20 mins.

Unless it’s Big Buck Hunter.

Let’s see if an average player can finish the game.

rd

#1374 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Iron Maiden you can technically choose your mode order, it's just really hard to get it to land exactly on the one you want so you just keep hitting the spinner trying to avoid Icarus.

You can’t choose it from a menu.

Pops/spinner change mode order on lots of games.

Not really what I was meaning. But I think you knew that.

rd

#1380 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

They say they want deep rules but what they really want are wide rules with lots of different things to do at any given time

Nailed it.

I think we could even K.I.S.S and say “they want to see variety”

rd

1 week later
#1565 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Wait...this isn't just trying to be funny?

Exactly. I thought it was a joke …. ?

Quoted from Morgoth00:

Problem is that it blocks shots for modes, would be impossible to finish certain modes if you don't know what to aim for.

Ya don’t say …

Lol

rd

#1568 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Well, to all the people who said the 3 Michaels on the playfield looked stupid...touché...now there's 4. LOL

Pinball in 2021 = dozens of Michaels

“He’s everywhere!!!”

rd

1 week later
#1659 2 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

That sucks. Stuff like this is what is making people cancel their orders. Spooky should overnight a replacement. It's on them.

It’s the manufacturers fault that an air ball broke a plastic?

“It’s on them?”

Ok.

Cargument - so going along with you, it’s Fords problem when a stone flies up and smashes your windscreen? They should overnight you a free windscreen?

I’ve heard it all now.

rd

#1677 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Oh and by the way they just showed up to Pincinnati not too long ago…

That carpet gives me Las Vegas flashbacks …

rd

#1721 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

SpookyBug is this true? Should everyone be renaming the file before updating to be safe? Seems...odd to me.

Windows will sometimes add things to the file name when downloading - especially if there are 2x files of the same name. (Like add .01 at the end of the file name)

You just want to make sure the file is the correct name before putting it on the USB drive.

Same applies to all makes of machine.

rd

#1778 2 years ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

Man I don't understand the hate this game gets .it's amazing

I’ll give you some reasons …

1/ the main reason - people are sheeple. A few people didn’t like it at launch, it became a thing. Sheeple always follow the herd. Most haven’t even played it. If they have - see #4.

2/ non generic-Stern layout. RZ is more like a 80s Gottlieb, with its exposed pops. Most NIB NEWBS wouldn’t know what a 80s Gottlieb is. Lol

3/ code was slow to develop, to be fair. It got better in the end.

4/ left orbit is very tight. Right orbit is crazy tight. You need to shoot the left orbit to start a mode - and half the people I’ve seen play RZ can’t shoot the left orbit to start a mode. If you can’t start a mode, you’re not going to enjoy the game very much. And of course, it’s not your fault you can’t shoot it - it’s the games fault.

rd

#1792 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Putting most of the game's content behind a very difficult shot is poor design IMHO

It’s tricky - if the shot is too easy, the game is “too easy” for decent players.

One way of handling it would be to have a mode selection at ball start - like Stern Star Trek. Then everyone at least gets a mode underway.

ACNC also has the same tough orbit mode start - but that can be bypassed by hitting the centre shot repeatedly. So at least it has a second start option.

The other thing that would put some off - unlike Sterns, if you don’t have a mode running on RZ or ACNC, you don’t get any/many points. Sterns, you get points for hitting everything all the time.

rd

#1814 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

I pulled my playfield for a closer look

Not having got my game yet - I’m only guessing …

But can you move the little playfield a little to the right? Any play with the mounting screws?

Or the ramp to the left?

I’m sure Luke will have an answer either way.

rd

1 week later
#1954 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Soooo…what do we make of this FB post by the animator? Does he not currently work for Spooky orrrrr…?

I read this post as such.

“I took a photo of my machine”

“People copied it off the internet and are using it”

“I didn’t my get paid for it (because they didn’t buy it)”

I think I know the photo he means - where the Halloween pin is in a nicely horror theme decorated room. If it’s the one I’m thinking of, I have shared this photo around myself! I think Spooky did too which is where I would have got it from. It showcases the machine well and is a cool shot.

rd

#2062 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

The thing that I think kills most JJP machines is code. They need better coders,

I think their coders are great.

I don’t like the RULES.

(Two separate things)

Most of the games are MB after MB after MB. I get for a lot of people multiball is “cool” … but not for me. I find it tiresome.

Compare to Lymans TWD rule sheet .. yes there are a couple of multiballs but there’s big points (and great moments) in single ball play.

Horde is maybe one of the best modes in pinball ever - shoot the shots and get a ball added in. You really need to be a good single ball shooter, and you get rewarded. So good.

ACNC is like that - a couple of MBS, including the 2 ball crypt you can bring in if you want it (it’s helpful in a couple of the modes) but mainly it’s about single ball shot accuracy. Which is what pinball should be about. IMO.

rd

#2074 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

and it's so refreshing to have a game that plays different.

This.

Great to have people thinking outside the square.

Can’t wait for the NZ games to be made.

(Get onto it Luke!)

rd

2 weeks later
#2338 2 years ago

If you’re a horror fan, this may tickle your fancy …

rd

#2360 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Modes don’t have memory. I have to start from scratch if I fail a mode. Frustrating, not fun.

Well written review.

Agree on the above - mode memory is always good.

Especially if the modes are challenging.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

The three Micheals on the left. It’s redundant. One would have been cool.

Maybe the 3 can be utilised better?

Maybe some separate “find Mike” modes?

Bit hard for me to come up with ideas because I haven’t got my pin yet …

Quoted from Mudflaps:

This game is loaded. Four flippers, four scoops, six drops, multiple subways, magnet, four ramps, two spinners, two upper playfields, RGB lighting, the list goes on.

I think a lot of people miss this - hey, you all bought the fancy version, but the base model is $6995 which is the same price as Led Zeppelin Pro.

That’s the best deal in NIB pinball today.

rd

1 week later
#2705 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyBug:Not a bad idea at all. We could probably do this.

I remember some Stern games were like that for the longest time.

“Insert Wizard mode name here!”
“50,000!”

rd

#2794 2 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Balls not getting out of the trough getting a little annoying

Check if one or two of your pinballs have become magnetic.

Pop them out, pop them on the glass/lockbar of the neighbouring machine. Move them left/right and see if any stick.

I’ve been getting a bunch of balls going magnetic recently. Stops them rolling down the trough. Very annoying.

rd

#2832 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Based on the 5% comment, that would put a "finished game" at 60 multiballs and 120 modes.

That still wouldn’t be enough for some people ….

rd

1 week later
#3027 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

I'm glad I'm not alone on that! The lane all the way to the right is near impossible for my skills!

It’s near impossible for everyone.

Always a thrill when you hit it!

rd

#3114 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Go to this video in post #2369. It really helped me with my upper playfield. How do we make this video marked at the top?

I went back and made #2369 a Key Post.

Under “upper playfield adjustment video”

PS - no idea who made your post a key post, not me … maybe add a link to the post in your post too.

rd

4 weeks later
#3775 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

just trying to gauge when a container might get sent,

Contact the aussie guys who import the container.

https://m.facebook.com/Spooky-Pinball-Australia-335698366444935/

rd

#3930 2 years ago
Quoted from McIntyre905:

Okay I'll try that thank you! Now what about this mess. How am I supposed to change out these springs lol

Being a new owner, if you’re not totally confident try and get some locals around to help out until you gain confidence.

Hopefully there’s some pinball scene in your area - bribe them with food and drink and get them around, you’ll learn a lot watching them.

A big part of pinball ownership is fixing them (they all break at some stage!) - it’ll take a while to gain confidence and knowledge.

rd

#4041 2 years ago
Quoted from John_C:

The way these servos work is that they receive pulses to indicate how far to move; the longer the pulse, the greater the movement.

I had a thought on this - I see you had a similar thought reading your next few posts.

In a couple of Stern games (Tron LE and XMen LE) they had issues with LEDs flickering. There were some other issues too but I can’t remember …

The solution was to remove those wires from the loom where they were closely cable tied to other wires, which were causing RF interference. Enough to flash a LED bulb - so enough to jerk a servo motor as well.

Maybe they were too close to a coil wire or something, I can’t remember now. I do remember a couple of cable tied snipped fixed the issue.

I would give that a go …

rd

#4115 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

windows 7 doesn't format or load their files.

Windows 7 has known issues with formatting files.

I think it was Stern who had that in their code release notes?

Hopefully you know someone with W10 and you can get it on the USB.

rd

#4163 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

My pf glass is nowhere near square which makes one side longer than the other (trapezoid?). I normally wouldn’t care, but it makes installing the lock bar almost impossible.

Ok - I’m going to teach you an old furniture factory trick. I’ve used it on Stern cabinets too. I can do it solo but best you get two guys.

Cabinets will often go out of square. That’s why your drawers sometimes catch on one side. Or your sofa is twisted a little bit. A bit of force applied in the correct direction will square them up.

Work out which side the glass is further forward on. We know the glass is cut square (check it with a square to check, but it should be) so the cabinet needs to be squared a little to match.

Remove the glass. Maybe put the playfield up on the service rails.

Get one guy on each side of the cabinet, at the front corner.

Each guy grabs a side of the cabinet.

GUY ONE: hold your side steady. Put your knee against the front of the cabinet.

GUY TWO: Pull the side of the cabinet where the glass was forward on FORWARDS. You’re bringing the cabinet forward to match the glass.

Go with a little force first. Sometimes it only needs a little. Sometimes it needs more.

What you’re doing is squaring up the cabinet to match the glass. Glass is square - now cabinet is square.

Have fun.

rd

#4192 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Interesting, I'll try it out tonight. Once squared up, does it stay square?

Of course.

Unless someone drops it or flexes it out of square.

rd

1 week later
#4425 2 years ago
Quoted from blbarchik:

If the servo motors are failing after a few days

Where’s it say this?

It’s not “a thing” at all. Please don’t make it one.

Occasionally, a servo will break - as a coil will short, or a transistor will lock on, a bulb fails …. Shit happens.

rd

#4472 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Wow. I am 481 and nothing. Starting to sour right now with Spooky. Another person who was 482 got their notice. This is crap.

How it works.

Numbers don’t mean when you get your game. This is the way it’s always been.

They make batches of games for each dealer.

Something along the mines of

First 100 for Spooky
50 for Kingpin
50 for PinballStar
50 for Spooky
10 for New Zealand
50 for Spooky
20 for Australia

Etc etc etc.

So the numbers go all over the place.

If you want a game ASAP I’m sure someone will swap with you if you put it out there.

rd

Added over 2 years ago:

“Something along the lines! Not mines!!” Lol

#4578 2 years ago
Quoted from Botfly:

I am #328 … After Halloweens in the 340's have been delivered already I will never buy a Spooky pin again.

Lol! Who’d wanna be a pinball company?

Please take the time to read this post.

It’s all pretty straightforward.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/90#post-6846864

Just wait till the export games go out soon with crazy high numbers. Your head will explode off its shoulders. Haha

rd

#4583 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Also - if these machines are indeed planned to be sent at the end of the manufacturing run

They’re not.

Who said that?

rd

#4587 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression although reading my message back I realise it's strongly suggested.

Once something is posted on Pinside, right or wrong (and generally … it’s wrong …), it IMMEDIATELY becomes A FACT and is parroted over and over.

Export games are generally made after the first few batches of domestic games. This time around they’re a little later than usual, for one reason or another.

Keep up the pressure on your local guy, he needs to be proactive to get them into production.

rd

3 weeks later
#5198 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

You’d think QC would have found something like this.

I got a free set of nice wire strippers inside my NIB Transformers.

Thanks Stern! I’m still using them today.

rd

1 week later
#5620 1 year ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Has anyone managed to get rid of the insane glass rattle?

Here is a post I did in the ACNC thread. Works mint. I’ll be doing it again on my HW.

<pasted>

Ok … ages ago I said I would build up a sub box and port the cabinet on my Spooky games, to stop the glass rattling.

Last night I finally got around to it.

Stage 1 - Port the cabinet!
~ The glass rattling is because the sub is creating waves of air in the cabinet, and the air has nowhere to go. A lot of bass comes off the BACK of bass speakers. That’s why pro PA bass cabinets are ported in some way - half the sound comes out the ports, not the front of the speaker as you’d think.

So - drill some holes! I chose a 2 1/4” hole saw and went to work. I drilled the holes at the rear of the speaker - reasonably close, so the sides of a sub box would cover them. (You want the holes inside the sub box, of course …)

Here is the result!

4C5969E2-47E4-4266-8CBD-74D75918F2DB (resized).jpeg4C5969E2-47E4-4266-8CBD-74D75918F2DB (resized).jpeg

The result of these holes - all bass rattle has gone.

I turned the amp bass up full. Still no rattle.

You know at the start of each ACNC ball - if you leave the ball in the shooter lane the background music has a pulsing bass … this usually shakes the machine like crazy. Now - nothing. Sounds cool. No added mechanical noises that we can notice.

Cosmetically, it just needs some mesh stapled over the holes (if you care about such things)

Cost of this mod …. $0.

A free mod in pinball! WTF!

Priceless.

Now to me, I’m happy with the result and I may leave it as is.

However - one day I may be bored and whip up a sub box to see what happens. My prediction would be that the bass output would increase, and the bass would be tighter, as the box hastens the exit of the sound from the cabinet (rather than it swirling around inside the cabinet). Maybe I’ll make one. One day.

So - go drill some holes!

Enjoy.
rd

#5623 1 year ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Another trick is to cut up some zip ties and wedge 4 or 5 approximately one inch pieces between the top of the plastic glass channel and the side rail on each side.

That sucks. Because the glass is a PITA to get in and out.

I had them in my game. One night the glass got jammed up and I said F**K THIS and went to work with the hole saw.

rd

#5627 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

You could also add tubes to the back of those holes to improve the bass, different lengths change the output and frequency range.

Indeed they do.

I think a box would make the sound a lot more immediate and punchy. Tubes would alter it again.

But at the end of the day, it’s a pinball machine, not a PA system or an audiophile device … so it’ll do the trick as it is just fine.

And most importantly the bloody glass doesn’t rattle any more!

rd

#5673 1 year ago

Just a suggestion …

Do the two “coin cards” again, but without all the text on there. Just “Halloween” and the background picture.

I think they’ll look really good - and honestly, nobody needs to know about Koris Barloff and his mates on a coin card. TMI.

rd

#5690 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

To be honest, these were fairly quick mock-ups. I’ll add a few more with some other ideas to include a less TMI version. Thanks for the feedback.
I also don’t want to spam our little thread with cards. I’ll post again with some updated designs or just drop them in the custom card thread.

I don’t know why it became “a thing” to add all that info - someone did it years ago, then everyone did it.

I vote post them up here - no better place to post them than in the Owners thread.

I’ll mark them as a Key Post so people can find them down the track. (As I did with your ones above)

rd

#5725 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

My right flipper has appeared to drop in angle, the pin hole is clearly visible and it seems to be getting worse over time. I’ve watched some videos on under playfield flipper adjustments, but is there anything special I need to consider for this machine? It’s driving me nuts and I want to try to adjust this tonight.

Tighten the flipper bat in the pawl. Easy.

rd

#5739 1 year ago
Quoted from Lopa:

rough up the shaft

Fair bit of that in this hobby.

rd

4 weeks later
#6415 1 year ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

First time I ever had to refuse something, thanks alot R&L Carriers.

Did you cut the box around the damage to look inside?

rd

#6422 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Joined the club today!

Two Halloweens!

That’s like me putting Sterns LZ next to my home built LZ. Although mine is much cooler.

rd

2 weeks later
#6734 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

You can also check the function of the U opto by passing a black piece of paper through it.

Opto testing - no paper required.

Just break the opto beam with your finger. Or anything.

The ball isn’t black paper and that generally works ok.

rd

Updated - small optos, obviously use something smaller than your finger. Like a small screwdriver.

#6736 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Buddy, we're not talking about a pair of optos registering across a ball lane.
If you can fit your finger in the tiny slot of the U opto in the spooky drop target switch PCB, you are about 3 inches tall.
RM

Use a small screwdriver.

My point was you don’t need black paper to test optos.

No need for newbies to be scurrying down to the stationary store and buying a sheet of black paper.

rd

#6739 1 year ago
Quoted from Completist:

Ah man… I spent an hour in Michael’s - do you know how many different types of black paper there is???

Exactly!

The plus side - now you can make some neat craft projects out of it instead.

rd

#6760 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I think I got it this time.

Do you reckon the ball is hitting the left edge of the ball guide there and going airborne?

Maybe get the old iPhone out and record the ball launch in slow motion. It’s amazing what you can’t see the ball doing with the naked eye. I’ve solved a heap of issues with the slo mo video.

Added bonus - the slo mo video makes very cool pinball clunking noises.

ADDED: I see a gap between the black centre rail and the launch ramp. If the centre rail was repositioned more to the right (so there was no gap) the ball would always launch away from the light board. Just a thought.

rd

1 week later
#6934 1 year ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

EXTRA BALL for reaching a certain score? I'm sure that would help me play longer games. Thx!

I don’t know what the menu setup is on HW, but it’s standard to get a replay award (free game) at a certain score.

Generally you can change that in the menu to an extra ball instead, if you so desire.

Or if you want to - just change the amount of balls from 3 per game to 4 or 5. One of my buddies has all his games set to 5 balls so he can play them longer.

Again - haven’t used the HW menu but I would think all that stuff would be there.

rd

#6976 1 year ago
Quoted from MJK-911:

Rick n Morty has been the most problematic. Now the game thinks the ball has drained when it hasn’t,

Check all the little connectors on the PROC boards. Personally I think multimorphic made a mistake going with -100 connectors rather than beefier -156 like WPC, Stern etc etc. Hey - just my opinion.

The only major issue we had here with a PROC Spooky was a flakey switch board. It’d be fine, then play up intermittently. (This was in an ACNC).

I got the guy to swap the two switch boards over (there are 2 next to each other) and sure enough, the problem moved with the board to another switch.

A new $30 (?) switch board and all was good with the world.

rd

1 week later
#7200 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I do hope that someone creates an open source pin at some point, something that the community can evolve together.

Yeah, that’d be awesome.

Announcing - the Pinside Pinball Machine!!

CC96692B-0742-4027-853D-FA93721569E6 (resized).pngCC96692B-0742-4027-853D-FA93721569E6 (resized).png

Except - with more kids toys glued onto it.

rd

1 week later
#7447 1 year ago
Quoted from John_C:

. I have two trough switches that have gone bad.

Have you tried bending the levers up a little?

I presume they still use the roller type switches same as Sterns?

These do need adjustment from time to time. A tiny bend to the lever is usually all they need.

Put the machine into switch test and roll one ball down from the drain. The switches should show as the ball rolls over them. Load the rest in one at a time, and each switch with a ball on top of it should show as active.

Another issue with troughs is my oft-mentioned magnetic ball issue. One magnetic ball and it’ll stop the balls rolling down the trough and create issues.

rd

2 weeks later
#7868 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It sends a standard check in a fairly nondescript envelope.

Banks in New Zealand stopped issuing checks 5 years ago. You can’t get one even if you want one. Nobody used them anymore.

rd

#7937 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Any unboxing tips?

Open box

Check

Plug in

Enjoy

rd

#7966 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

The gameplay is great for a home environment but terrible for tournaments

Interested in why that is?

I’ve seen it used in a few tournaments (inc one last weekend) .. didn’t see any negative feedback about it.

rd

#7969 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Bugs make any game terrible for tournaments. Glad your TDs didn't run into any issues.

Ah ok. They’ll get sorted in time.

To clarify - it was not my tournament I saw it at, I believe it was Kickback in Pittsburgh (the old PAPA crew).

rd

#7973 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

it requires knowledge of the code to score big points.

Isn’t that the case with all modern pins these days though?

I mean, good luck to anyone playing someone like Escher on any of the new Stern pins - those guys know every nuance of the game.

Knuckleheads like me know how to start a Multiball and that’s about it!

rd

1 week later
#8219 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Yet JJP is only about 1 year older than Spooky and Spooky has actually shipped more titles than JJP at this point.

That’s quite amazing eh!

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

JJP also had several titles that sold less units than HWN/UM (and TS4 may end up included in that!).

Yes, again amazing when you think about it.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

HWN/UM was also priced comparably to the launch price of GnR.

Yes and no …. HW and UM was available at $6999. The same layout as the two more expensive “upspeced” models.

Nobody was more surprised than Spooky when almost everyone (like, 90%) decided to plonk down more money than that to buy fancier versions.

Except kiwis - we’re all tight asses so most of ours are standards.

rd

#8228 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

they let a person return a game for a missing coin door latch.

I think that was more down to Charlie making a call on the dude.

Sometimes when you’re a retailer, you get a customer who you just KNOW is gonna be a huge pain in the ass, and you have to cut them loose and cut your losses.

Even selling used games, sometimes you’ll get messages and you can just tell, this guy is gonna be a PITA - and move on to the next one.

rd

#8262 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yikes, look at that thing. Potential for error all over the place

A lot less plugs than the 90s games!

rd

817BB0FC-E263-4467-8112-50DF2DF4D8AE (resized).jpeg817BB0FC-E263-4467-8112-50DF2DF4D8AE (resized).jpeg
#8426 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Uh oh. I'd hoped they would finish more of Halloween before jumping on another game so soon! Ack

It was announced that Fawzma will be assigned to HW/UM code for the next 6-12 mths.

New animations etc aren’t far away.

rd

#8461 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

Also give a close inspection to the pull down spring and compare with the other targets that are behaving properly

This. If the drop target itself is ok and not broken, generally a tweak of the spring will fix it.

Try pulling it down a little and hooking it through another loop on the spring (making it tighter)

See how that goes. Just do the affected target, leave the others if they’re ok. Should be able to stretch the spring while the assembly is in the game.

A few mm more spring tension could do the trick.

rd

#8466 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Wouldn't making it tighter make it worse if the problem is that the is the target doesn't stay up or catch sometimes? Wouldn't I want it to maybe be weaker in such a case?

Yes, the spring pulls them down.

It also holds them on the ledge.

The simplest way to show that is on the older drop banks - see how the spring is on an angle? It’s pulling it down and also forward. Otherwise when it goes up, it would 50/50 just come straight back down.

If the spring is too weak/too strong, the balance is upset and you get issues.

rd

07D218EB-62BB-452B-9802-0A3EB4187986 (resized).jpeg07D218EB-62BB-452B-9802-0A3EB4187986 (resized).jpeg

#8639 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Only with direct shorts to boards like this guy had.

Yes, there’s a hard short somewhere in the wiring chain making that transistor blow like that.

Transistors blowing has been part of pinball since 1977.

Surface mount components scare people because it does require a skill set to fix them. Almost anyone can replace an old style transistor.

I have a guy here who does surface mount stuff for me - he can fix Stern node boards no problems, even with their tiny components.

rd

#8641 1 year ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

We are submitting officially to spooky tomorrow and they have been very helpful with the previous 2 board replacements.

You’ll definitely want to find the issue before installing a new board. Or it’ll just blow up again.

rd

#8651 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

How would your guy fix this? Float the new part over the crater and run jumpers to the nearest remnant of the traces that were obliterated? Gonna be real fun trying to solder to those tiny traces. This is not the way to design a pinball board.

Hey - it could be worse …. Here’s one from a Whirlwind I bought last year.

rd

92EE8B73-A8A2-4158-9931-D8AC8004AE7A (resized).jpeg92EE8B73-A8A2-4158-9931-D8AC8004AE7A (resized).jpeg
#8655 1 year ago
Quoted from zebpin61:

Lets do a poll - would you pay x for it?

Whirlwind 2.0 !

Featuring these extras!

- interconnect board burnt in half!
- extensive smoke damage to the CPU board!
- flipper drag wear on the playfield!
- cabinet bottom half hacked with plywood!
- non working fan and spinners!
- displays up the wazzzoooo!
- cabinet well below average!

Have no fear! It is currently getting a full restoration and it will sit proudly next to this Taxi I just finished.

rd

79DD7285-35FF-4660-A655-F3F5814AE0BE (resized).jpeg79DD7285-35FF-4660-A655-F3F5814AE0BE (resized).jpeg
#8660 1 year ago
Quoted from zebpin61:

Stunning restoration! Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats!

Thanks! This is how that one started - water damaged!

It is rewarding to bring them back from the edge.

rd

B9E1C272-A733-4302-8713-F0723A88E128 (resized).jpegB9E1C272-A733-4302-8713-F0723A88E128 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#9243 1 year ago
Quoted from Dwboca:

Never understand the point of buying a pinball machine and not playing the hell out of it. Unless you're not into theme, then trade for one you're into

I bought a 2012 Avengers Pro in Los Angeles last year … it had 98 plays on it. (Still on original code, never updated)

I think some people just like buying new shit to show off to their buddies.

rd

#9391 1 year ago

Godzilla has a DEEP ruleset for example, but random person gets on mine and plays, they are seeing constant stuff going on, huge points, everything on the playfield is tossing points and triggering callouts and video clips.

I’ve been analysing GZ and why it seems so successful/popular.

And that’s the conclusion I’ve come to.

There’s always something happening - voice wise, screen wise - even if you are sucking - very much like a slot machine. I watched a really good doco on slot machines recently which went into the psychological triggers they put into games to keep people playing them even though they’re losing money.

GZ does this also. Maybe not intentionally, but it’s doing the same thing, giving the same triggers. Quite interesting to get into.

What you say is correct … Spooky games are very “focused” in how they dish out points. I watched a decent player play ACNC for 5 minutes, he didn’t know the rules and didn’t start a mode - so he got virtually no points. On a Stern he would have had millions just batting the ball around.

rd

#9420 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:Do you remember the name and where you saw it? I'm kinda curious to watch a documentary on slot machine design and the dopamine drip they try to perfect

Sure thing ….

You should be able to track it down on line. It’s streaming free here on TVNZ (one of our TV networks)

rd

#9421 1 year ago

GZ is pretty complex, but again every shot pretty much does something. Even if they have no idea what is going on, the game is exploding with points being tossed out for anything you do, callouts triggering non stop, lights blasting, sounds going off, movie clips constantly changing, it's a frantic and constant game of something happening.

He gets it.

rd

#9433 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinman502:

Curious how others are dealing with flipper fade?

Make sure the flipper bats move up/down (vertically) around 2mm. If they’re too tight on the bushing, you’ll see what you’re seeing.

rd

#9501 1 year ago
Quoted from Lopa:

However, I do run the levelers on my back legs all the way up and the front legs all the way down.

You know that new Sterns are about 6.5 degrees with all the levellers wound in, right?

Your machine will be like 10 degrees with the back legs right up!

No wonder you’re having flipper issues ….

rd

1 week later
#9830 1 year ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Games this new really shouldn’t need novus or any abrasive cleaners. Wipe down with alcohol. Throw a coat of wax on it.

Yep. K.I.S.S.

I wouldn’t use any alcohol either. If you’ve got any old pins, you know what isopropyl alcohol does to the finish (hint: it removes it)

Simply wipe down with simple green to remove ball marks. I use a decent mix - probably 40% SG concentrate to 60% water. Spray it on - wipe it off. Easy.

If you really feel the need to shine it up, use some car type spray polish/wax. After all - they are coated in automotive clear coat. I have some Meguires stuff I use.

Novus - while I respect that it has been used for years, it is actually a plastic polish. Used for acrylic windscreens etc. Again, I use 3M car products. And I only use them when I do a full tear down. No need to do it all the time. Again - K.I.S.S.

rd

#9833 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Oh crap, I need to remove sling shot mylar from my Taxi and ordered freeze spray and isopropyl alcohol. I have Goo Gone pro but read it takes a long time to clear the glue.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Freeze spray generally works well. Just go slow. Either of those things are good with adhesive residue. As you say, you might need to leave Goo Gone on for 15 mins to let it do its thing. Slow and steady wins the race.

You want to be careful with mylar around inserts (shouldn’t be an issue in your case) because often you’ll pull off the print off the inserts.

Generally if I have a full mylared playfield, I’ll buff it up with 3M cutting compounds and it comes up super shiny. No need to remove mylar unless you have to.

rd

#10047 1 year ago

Well well what do we have here ….

rd

8E271102-F32A-440B-BB1A-E1CE63157C83 (resized).jpeg8E271102-F32A-440B-BB1A-E1CE63157C83 (resized).jpeg
#10050 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Well well what do we have here ….
rd[quoted image]

Wasn’t too bad ..

Better than the last one.

rd

#10084 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Your that guy!! I recognize your game room mainly from scammers ripping your pics off.

Those stairs and black/white tiles are as famous as Treasure Coves garage door was back in the day!

rd

1 week later
#10502 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Mine was user error. I replaced a Michael servo and attached the wire connector backwards. Works perfectly now!

Thumbs up for your honesty!

We’ve all done dumb sh*t over the years … I did something dumb last week, my new TIP102 burst into flames as a result. I literally LOLd at my stupidity.

rd

#10546 1 year ago

Only thing that would need actual approval is any type of new inclusion of audio/video clips from the movie, potentially any new animations,

I believe *everything* needs to be approved by a licensor. It’s their IP and their IP name on it, so they want to check it.

Some guys are easy going (Alice Cooper etc who are into it) … and some are not so easy.

I heard Disney is a pain - probably such a big machine it’s hard to get anything happening there.

rd

#10550 1 year ago

I worked with a board game company way back and we did a licensed product, and we essentially could do whatever we wanted

Everyone involved with licensing these days says that it has changed dramatically in the last few years.

In the old days (pinball wise) they’d pay a set fee for the licence then go for it.

These days, everyone is squeezing every last cent out of everything - all the music companies and actors and voices are all holding their hands out, and get bucks paid on every unit that rolls off the factory floor. And approval rights too.

Which is why you see half assed licences like Sterns Jurassic Park, where the only thing they buy is the name and the logo, they have to pay extra bucks for the theme song, and then they have to make everything else up themselves. Gomez even made up the Jeep … sorry, off road vehicle … sculpt so they didn’t have to pay any car companies.

Evidently the Jaws licence consists of the Jaws title fonts, the rights to use the shark, and that’s about it.

rd

#10553 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I know. I didnt mean to come across like that!!! Hell I can barely figure out the current haha.

That reminds me of the frequent pinsider who was always bellyaching about “no final Wizard mode!” in XMen - then one day let it slip he had only ever completed 2 of the 7 Villain modes (you’d need to complete all 7 villains and also all 8 hero modes plus both of the current massive mini Wizard modes to get to a final “I’ve done it all” Wizard mode)

One of the great days on Pinside when that came out.

rd

#10587 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

rotordave do you know this new coder?

Yes I do. It was on my recommendation that they contacted Matt and ultimately took him on board.

Matt is a wiz with C++ and Csharp or whatever it is (I ain’t no coder lol) and is an avid pinballer, owning 5 pins currently and playing competitively at my NZ events. In fact, he just played for 3 days straight at last weekends Southern Hemisphere Champs at my place.

I have been working with Matt for a while on my own new pin down here. Hence I know his work and skills.

Danni and I will assist him down here with code testing and rules ideas for all the titles he does going forward. Including HW and UM.

So rest assured Spooky fans!

Your code is in good hands.

rd

#10594 1 year ago
Quoted from BlueRiverLore:

Good to know about Facebook, I'll need to start using it more. Thanks.

The less anyone uses Facebook, the better.

Unfortunately, it’s a necessary evil for most businesses and events these days.

rd

2 weeks later
#11207 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Coding a pinball machine isn't that hard or time-consuming. And no way in hell should it take any programmer a year to code just 1 pinball game.

I used to think that.

Then I saw all the work that goes into it.

Rest assured - code is coming (as Luke P said)

And will continue to come.

Everyone who is coding these games owns a game. They want to make it great.

rd

1 week later
#11278 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Did I see somewhere there was some kind of score multiplier in place for the modes? Like you get extra 10%, 15% etc on the next mode once you've completed some?

There is a mode beating multiplier on ACNC - I dont believe that’s on HW or UM.

As per above - there is a whole playfield multiplier you can buy in the store.

rd

#11323 1 year ago

^^^ yes, that was the first thing I commented on when I played the game.

For the new player, you don’t know what to do. The instructions (if any) are tiny and not clear.

That could/would explain the average person playing the game and not understanding what’s happening - then hating on the game. VS the owners who DO know what’s happening liking the pin.

That was the first thing on my suggestion list - way more screen info (in big, readable fonts). So the game is accessible and understandable for new players.

All this stuff is being done … I think by the end of all the updates we will all have a super special game.

rd

#11330 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Walking dead should be the example (no pressure spooky)

Walking Dead (and Metallica) should be the example for most machines.

However - they both have something this game doesn’t. An obvious (to everyone) thing (or two) to bash away at.

That’s why a bash toy is great. It shows any Joe Blow what to do. Hit me. Hit me more. Lights flash. Sounds come out. Things happen.

Games like HW/UM - things aren’t that obvious.

So a lot more explanation is needed. Via visual cues and audio cues.

The player who is familiar with the rules can double flip and the info disappears.

But I think (personally) that when you step up to a machine for the first time, it should be reasonably clear what you need to do.

That’s why Lyman games were so good. You had that simple layer for the everyday player - then more layers underneath for the more advanced player. But even those layers (like crank it up in Metallica) aren’t beyond the average player.

That’s where a lot of the other rules guys/programmers go wrong IMO. What’s the point in making modes and wizard modes that only 5 people in the world can ever get to? That’s pretty dumb IMO. Turns me off playing the game.

rd

#11405 1 year ago

Seriously … you gotta love the internet!

Who’s ever said that this is the final update?

Hint: nobody …

rd

53DA0293-ED8C-4624-914E-A06783332F57 (resized).jpeg53DA0293-ED8C-4624-914E-A06783332F57 (resized).jpeg
#11538 1 year ago
Quoted from timtim:

Unfortunately that’s exactly what I’m thinking.

Nope. Just takes ages to compile the code.

It’ll be out soon ….

Quoted from Roostking:

Ok, thats hardcore. I dont need a notification for that. How often are you notified

Yeah life’s too short for that shit! Lol

The code will still be available tomorrow.

rd

#11685 1 year ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

Thanks! Did you have to format it, or was it good to go right out of the box?

Always do a “quick format” on your zip before using it.

Right click on the drive icon.

Takes 15 seconds or so.

rd

#11753 1 year ago

I think we need to give Matt a big round of applause …

He took on this job only 5 weeks ago - his first in pinball - and in 5 weeks completely rebuilt the code structure (dozens of hours work which goes unnoticed by the end user), added most of this new stuff, did the new UI, and squashed a bunch of bugs!

He didn’t even have a HW machine to test it on for the first couple of weeks! Code was flying around the globe.

Now that hard work has been done on the framework, updates will be easier and new stuff can be added in as it comes along!

Well done m4tt

rd

#11934 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

really would love a setting to NOT stack modes

Modes don’t stack now. (Main modes to clarify, - I thought that’s what was meant)

You can start a Multiball after you’ve started a mode …. (Or not …)

Talking to Matt, there is more in the works so you can see the different shots if you do have a mode and MB running at the same time.

rd

1 week later
#12117 1 year ago

You can bat around the ball for long periods of time in Halloween and not drain, yet you barely will score if your not getting the objective targets hit

That’s a good tournament game IMO.

Players with better skill will generally win.

games that the tourny community likes, just are always pouring points at you for every little thing so the longer your playing the more points in general you are scoring

No, I don’t think that’s correct (being a former top 100 player)

I think that’s what *the general public* like. They like the pin to be “doing stuff” all the time. Like Godzilla. There’s always something happening. All Stern games, the scoreboard is always moving. Spooky games, not so much.

In saying that, Matt asked me how we make these games better for a tournament. Play shorter. Etc.

My answer - not every game needs to be a tournament game.

rd

#12144 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

Ha. Thanks. I’m super crazy about the paint on my cars and that has apparently crossed over to my new pinball infatuation. Sounds like I should just let it go and maybe plan on a real polish job in about ten years!

Try some Simple green concentrate mixed about 40% SG to 60% water. Spray it on the trails, wipe off with soft rag.

Save the buffer for full strip downs.

rd

#12235 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

You would need to be divorced to have enough time maintaining and upgrading 20 pins

You wanna try and upkeep 100 pins.

No bs … It is a full time job.

rd

2 weeks later
#12329 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I'm still having a problem with my auto plunge though, which 90% of the time doesn't make it out of the shooter lane.

Hold your phone over the shooter lane while you plunge and film it in slo mo.

You’ll soon see the problem.

- the forks are misaligned (bend em back with pliers)

- the ball is being launched slightly sideways - bend prongs with pliers to get it to launch straight

- the ball is rattling up the shooter lane and loosing velocity. Probably the forks again, but could be the shooter lane timber needs adjusting.

Slo mo will reveal all. If you need help post the video link up here and we will take a look.

rd

#12405 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:Patience is key

That’s the one. Patience isn’t too common in this hobby .. we all know that.

And just a reminder for you guys, overseas we generally have a few weeks Xmas holidays. What you guys do in your summer, we do in our summer. Which is now. But everyone is back to work now.

rd

1 week later
#12502 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Hey Spooky, we need to be able to adjust coil flipper power. Pretty basic option that should be included by now.

I saw your post on the Scooby thread too.

I think that can be a double edge sword … if you remember the R&M thread, there were troubles when everyone kept cranking the flipper power and overheating the coils.

You also get guys like the one here (pretty sure it was this thread … could be wrong) where he had the back legs cranked right up like an old 90s game - basically making the playfield like 12 degrees lol - he would have been cranking the coils to the max, then moaning “my coils are overheating!”

What flippers on Halloween do you feel need to be more powerful? If everyone else agrees then they can probably up them in the new updates.

rd

#12509 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

How about an option to turn down the strength of the shaker motor. I’ve been saying this from day one; it's way too strong, and others have also mentioned it.

You can adjust the weights on the end of the motor easy enough …. That’ll give you the changes you need.

rd

2 weeks later
#12666 1 year ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Glad you got it fixed! I have a feeling the snapped bolt and nut that tumbled down your playfield might be one of your apron bolts. I checked mine and it is nutted from the back like that. Hard to tell if the size is right, but I think it's possible. That would mean the rest of it, and the other one, are likely in there somewhere. I would put the playfield up and see if you can find them laying in the bottom of the cab or caught up in the wiring harness, subway, etc. If it's in the subway it could cause ball hangups down there (and this game already can suffer from that pretty easily without help). If it's in the wiring harness under the playfield, it could work its way into somewhere and cause a short. I would try to find them before they find you. [quoted image]

Great post - great to see the community taking the time to help each outer out.

That’s what it’s all about!

rd

1 week later
#12783 1 year ago

I would say be patient for a few more days ….

rd

#12868 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

The LCD has contrast, brightness and gamma adjustments on the back of it, you can play around with those settings and get a dramatic improvement.

Yes.

Refer to this key post.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/68#post-6773927

rd

1 month later
#13447 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Actually thinking about it - I'd say this is something really missing from Spooky games in general.

That’s a discussion we had some years back in the ACNC thread.

Stern games - you get points for everything. Missing shots, hitting pops, hitting slings, everything. Scoreboard is always moving.

Games like ACNC - if you don’t hit your shots, you get nothin.

While personally - as a “player” - I prefer this as I think good play should be rewarded (as opposed to flailing around willy nilly) - but I fully understand that 90% of people like to see the scoreboard moving so they feel some sense of accomplishment.

rd

1 week later
#13664 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Just bought the one you linked - how did you apply it? I’m trying to remove glass rattle too

Drill 2x 2” holes in the cabinet bottom to release the air pressure from the bass speaker.

Works a charm. Cost ….. $0.

Scooby has that done in the factory now. Problem is solved.

rd

#13679 1 year ago

Any pin can have a coil seize and such, it's not unique to this pin so its weird to even say this here

The way you had written it in your post, it sorta does.

But yeah - it can happen to any pin. I bought a Whirlwind last year, it had been left on for a while in a venue. Their GI connectors were not up to the task … the interconnect board was burnt in half lol

rd
7C971D3E-BCC9-46A5-A0AB-A670EC3B7E81 (resized).jpeg7C971D3E-BCC9-46A5-A0AB-A670EC3B7E81 (resized).jpeg

#13687 1 year ago
Quoted from waletboy:

Just ordered and going to drill holes to port the sub. Thanks!

If you port the cabinet you don’t need anything else.

Just a holesaw.

rd

#13698 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I have never checked for bolt tightness but both my ACNC and HWCE suffer from flipper fatigue fast, just as my GhostbustersLE does. I will check to ensure that everything is secure but these are known titles to have hot coils so I will need cooling. My SDCE does not exhibit any flipper fatigue from our playing at this point. Just has the annoying high pitch sound which will be addressed in the next update.

What angle are the playfields set at?

rd

#13707 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

What angle are the playfields set at?
rd

The reason I ask …

I don’t get noticeable flipper fade on any of my games.

Last big tournament I held, there was over 100 games put on each of 13 System 11s over 10 hours. 1500 individual 3 ball games in total. No big fade. Same goes for the “modern” tournaments I run with Sterns and Spookies.

Mind you - all my games are factory settings, no adjustments (except ACNC upper flipper up two notches)

I can’t see how you guys are getting flipper fade. Unless the adjustments are being upped too much, or the playfields are way too steep.

(Exception: LOTR LE - even with updated coils - but that game is famous for that. Which is why I no longer have it …)

rd

#13709 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I stopped cradling after my LOTR LE nearly caught on fire when it fried a flipper coil and transistor lol
Long gone too!

Man …. My games on LOTR used to go so long, I used to stop after 30-40 mins and go do something for an hour and let the coils cool down. Still couldn’t hit the ring after all that. Dooooooh

rd

#13713 1 year ago

but I don't maybe play as long or leave on my machines as long as some folks?

Just having a game on will do nothing to the flipper coils. No power to them unless you’re playing.

I remember a post a while back - can’t remember what thread it was in - and some guy said after 5 minutes he couldn’t make the ramps on his Stern Iron Maiden.

Turned out he had the back legs cranked all the way out - the playfield was probably around 10 degrees high.

A lot of people don’t know that the newer games are around 6.5 ish playfield angle with the back legs screwed IN (aka not all the way out like we used to do) — totally different to older pins from the 90s and before.

Always pays to check playfield angle - it’s so easy with PinGuy. Always make sure it’s on the playfield setting and do the playfield. The glass is not attached to the playfield!

rd

#13718 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

They forgot to install the blind nut

Or it fell out when he pushed the nut in …

Have a look down in the bottom of the cabinet … may well be down there.

rd

2 weeks later
#13913 12 months ago
Quoted from waletboy:

Just drilled the 2 port holes for the sub and wow what a difference with the playfield glass not rattling. Just had my best game to date! Love this game!

Nice one!

I should have sold my “port mod” on the Pinside marketplace lolll

“RDs Port Mod! Only $99.99! (No postage required)”

Really one of the best mods you can do to your pre-Scooby Spooky. And the cost is $0.00 !

PS I haven’t had any rattling back glass issues - yours must be loose in there. Check the plastic channels are tight on the glass, maybe look at how it’s held in the head box and see where you can remove any slop. They should be pretty tight in there.

rd

#13915 11 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Might be worth adding a couple of 2” x 2.5” ports.
[quoted image]

Unfortunately, it wouldn’t make any difference in the context of porting the whole cabinet. The holes are just venting the air pressure. In a tight enclosure, you can tune the ports by diameter and length to enhance the bass response.

That’s the next project.

Just got to clear a few other ones before that though!

rd

#13922 11 months ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

I've been thinking of drilling holes too, what size did you go with?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/113#post-6911181

Sorta anything 2” to 2.5” would be ok.

rd

#13977 11 months ago

Someone send this guy a pizza like Kaneda sent spooky

I gave him a slice of birthday cake last week at Dannis 21st … that’ll keep him sorted for a while.

rd

#13982 11 months ago
Quoted from m4tt:

For a vegan, gluten free cake it actually held up pretty well - I think I speak for everyone there, when I say we were skeptical... I don’t remember you baking it or handing out slices though RD?

You musta been looking the other way ….

rd

#14015 11 months ago

Halloween #6 is finally in my house.

rd

IMG_3227 (resized).jpegIMG_3227 (resized).jpeg
#14018 11 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Great isn’t it
Even better with Vimtoman’s scoop mod, turns it into a really sweet shot.

I don’t have a problem hitting the scoop .. but I appreciate every machine is different.

Updated to the new code - had a game, everything seems to work ok! . Didn’t have enough blood to buy an extra ball though! Bummer. Extra balls will be off anyway when I get around to adjusting it.

rd

IMG_3229 (resized).jpegIMG_3229 (resized).jpeg
#14033 11 months ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Made in order. First 50 went to VIP's.

Nah, mine was made last.

I just waited until all the Standards were made so we could ship them all back together. Saves everyone money when they all ship together. Most of our order was standards.

rd

#14047 11 months ago
Quoted from Oneinchbiceps:

Now I need to figure out something for the speakers in the back box to stop the rattle.

Porting the bottom of the cabinet removes the air pressure and nothing rattles any more.

The air needs somewhere to go — the bass speaker is creating air pressure inside a sealed enclosure. It looks for the easiest means of escape.

Lift up the playfield (ie open the enclosure) and do a music test. You’ll likely see the rattle has gone. If it hasn’t, something may be loose and rattling around.

rd

#14049 11 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

and that’s with a spacer on the sub so it can move more air.

Question though - How does a 10-15mm spacer move more air?

All it’s doing is lifting the speaker off the cabinet bottom.

Yes - it could let the speaker cone move some more - maybe - but that speaker is way underdriven by that amp. It it was 100w RMS then sure - but that thing is probably 10W RMS (actual real power - not “tell the boys at the pub” power …)

I think at best a spacer is just providing some separation from the cabinet bottom - which could provide some separation from the speaker movement.

The proof is in the pudding - Scooby Doo has exactly the same audio system, but they have added 2x port holes - and the problem is solved. No rattle at all.

rd

#14056 11 months ago
Quoted from Oneinchbiceps:

Just hate paying this type of money then having to put two holes in it.

If you buy a new Scooby Doo they have installed the two holes for free. And it doesn’t rattle.

Sounds weird your headbox rattles though. I would investigate more - loose speaker panel, something like that. Do you have the headbox bolted down (to the cabinet) with the bolt that came with it?

rd

#14107 11 months ago

To take your mind off that, here’s a challenge for you ….

I’ve had the game two weeks, here’s the high scores. The GC was set in qualifying for my monthly tournament last week by NZ #2 player, Mitchell Stewart. I set the HS1 today. Can’t speak for Mitchells GC game, but my score had earned 3 extra balls during the game.

Game is stock, latest code, 3 balls, no adjustments at all. As it came out of the box.

The challenge is to play your game hard out all weekend, and beat these two scores.

Go hard!

rd
IMG_3397 (resized).jpegIMG_3397 (resized).jpegIMG_3398 (resized).jpegIMG_3398 (resized).jpeg

#14111 11 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I need a strategy as I’m lucky to get 50/60 mil on the latest code on mine!
Plus I don’t cradle, maybe I should start doing that again. Stopped after cradling on my old LOTR LE as it nearly caught fire lol

You gotta cradle. And sharpshoot your shots.

If you just slap the ball around, she’s all over pretty rapidly.

Use the right lock to hold your ball - if you drain you’ll get a ball back. That’s a great resource. Also that shot is a great spot for super jackpots.

Play either modes - or House. Or Sanitarium. Focus on completing them. Don’t stack stuff or you won’t finish them.

Bring in a MB to complete the modes if you’re having trouble completing them. Always a good plan (on every game!) to start a mode before starting MB. Doubles your points and completes the modes.

Winner!

rd

#14113 11 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

To take your mind off that, here’s a challenge for you

Quoted from finnflash:

I could set it at 6 balls and still not be able to beat those scores

Well - in light of that - the weekend challenge is revised.

Take a picture of your high score now — then beat it this weekend.

Post both pics up when you’ve done it. Easy!

Happy flippin!

rd

#14142 11 months ago
Quoted from timtim:

Photo of Matt trying to make sense of Fawzma’s code and clean it up.
[quoted image]

That is actually exactly how it looks

rd

IMG_3447 (resized).jpegIMG_3447 (resized).jpeg
#14153 11 months ago
Quoted from Mro-Tek:

we really are never getting a decent code.

Not the case.

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

. I hate to say it, but him leaving Spooky is likely.

No.

Where do you guys get this stuff?

I was playing the new UM code the other day - she’s looking good.

rd

#14218 11 months ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Simple solution is House just shouldn't stack with anything else. Only make progress towards starting it and actually start it with no other modes running. Let the other multiballs alone...just keep House all to itself. That will solve the diverter confusion issues, the Bob and Linda issues, and even the "too easy to start House" issues if the shots only count outside of modes. There is nothing wrong with a non-stacking multiball. Lots of games have them. Especially since others can.

I am also a proponent of this.

What do people think about this scenario:

- House and Sanitarium are only “startable” while no modes are running … ie in general play. When House is qualified (ie the drop target is flashing and ready to be hit for the balcony shot) you have 10-20 seconds to get back to the house to complete those two shots (during those 10-20 seconds you can’t start a pumpkin mode - you have to get to the house, with appropriate call-outs and light show to create “hurry up!”) If you fail to drop the target and shoot the balcony … back to general play.

- while you’re playing a pumpkin mode, you can bring in the other two multiballs - hedge and Judith. But House and Sanitarium are locked out during modes.

How’s that scenario sound ?

rd

#14220 11 months ago

The most frustrated experience players I introduce the game to at my place is "what do I do now" cause they are getting nothing and not scoring anything while certain modes are on

Yeah - but “scoring everywhere” isn’t really pinball. IMO.

Stern have made their machines do that. So everyone - no matter what skill level - can just punt the ball around willy nilly and the scoreboard keep rolling over.

“Look how great I am at pinball!!!”

Good “pinball playing” is being able to make shots.

The left orbit is lit. Hit it. Get points. Advance the mode.

Not .. the left orbit is lit. Hit the ramp. Get points.

Yes - you should get some minuscule amount of points for flailing around. Traditionally pinball machines have switches under the side rubbers that award like 10 points a hit. That kept the scoreboard ticking over.

I regards to stacking - outside of Keith JJP games (stack fester) - most new Sterns, you can’t stack everything. You can’t have GZ and Mechgodzilla at the same time, for example. You can have a mode and ONE of them. TWD - can’t have Walker and Prison stacked. You can bring in one with Blood Bath add a ball MB, but not both. Metallica works the same way with Coffin.

Otherwise you end up with a huge mess like when they launched the second code update of XMen 10 years ago and EVERYTHING STACKED ALL THE TIME. What a clusterf**k that was!! Oooohh you should have seen Pinside explode back then lol

rd

#14225 11 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

You know better than to say nonsense like this.

That’s exactly what they’ve done. Gary Stern long said he wanted all levels of player to be able to obtain some satisfaction when they play - his famous line was “put it close to the start button”.

Don’t get me wrong - you aren’t getting the GC just batting the ball around. But you’re getting some good points while you do it.

Play games from the 80s and 90s and compare them to todays Sterns. Big difference.

One good example … on ACNC Charlie got a lot of flak because he used posts at the sides of the ramps. Rather than standups like Stern now use. People are now used to missing shots and getting points. Go back in the ACNC thread, people are literally saying that.

Most of the classic BW games from the 90s - they have posts there. You hit the ramp - or you don’t.

Here’s two from the 90s:

IMG_3503 (resized).jpegIMG_3503 (resized).jpeg

IMG_3504 (resized).jpegIMG_3504 (resized).jpeg

And here are two of the same designers games at Stern.

IMG_3505 (resized).jpegIMG_3505 (resized).jpeg

IMG_3506 (resized).jpegIMG_3506 (resized).jpeg

Hey, that’s cool .. it’s just a different design philosophy. And it makes perfect sense.

rd

#14229 11 months ago
Quoted from BOHICA:

With ACNC if you want to eat you have to work

Yep. If you don’t hit your shots - you get NOTHING.

I can see how that turns some people off. It’s a hard game. Some people don’t like to get a beat down - and that’s understandable. Different strokes etc etc.

rd

#14244 11 months ago

it's again that the game essentially bricks for almost every single shot.

Mine doesn’t.

so that makes the center ramp useless in majority of the modes, no need for upper playfield, and center playfield on majority of modes wont be used either.

Nope.

You’d add in accompanying shots on the other playfields to add to and enhance the existing modes.

Same as ACNC and other games with upper playfields have.

So in my example which I had running, I had only two exact shots that I could make, every single other shot and feature in the game was turned off. Left orbit one of the harder shots too, so constant misses, and literally 5 minutes of smacking the ball around and missing and scoring 0 points for all my time.

Making that difficult shot will make your day.

Take off the glass and practice making that shot for 20 mins. Then next time when that scenario comes up, you’ll nail it. It’s a great feeling!

rd

1 week later
#14300 10 months ago
Quoted from Mro-Tek:

It seems like spooky moved on from Halloween early on

Nope ….

I speak for nobody but you’ll see something soon.

rd

#14301 10 months ago

If someone can get that to NJ, LAX or Houston for me, I’ll buy it.

Crazy deal! Money to be made there!

rd

#14329 10 months ago
Quoted from hollywood:

This game, the theme and everything about it I firmly believe is a home run

It’s a super cool game.

I remember at the launch, people were like “how can they make it work, make it creepy like the movie?” I reckon they pulled it off. My Mrs won’t play the game down in the basement without someone around. Creeps her out! Lol.

I understand why some people don’t like it. It isn’t a Stern. That’s all some people want - every game to be similar and not outside their zone. Different strokes etc etc.

rd

#14370 10 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

Why do you feel the need to talk down to anyone who doesn't like HWN?

I literally said “different strokes” in my post. Sorry you missed that part.

People have literally told me exactly what I said in my post. I don’t just make shit up like half the people on this site. I sell games, I build games, I have games on site and hold large pinball events, and actually talk to people about games. I want to hear their feedback.

For example, I have one guy here who is a big collector - he won’t buy a Spooky game because he doesn’t like how the speaker panel looks. (!)

I outlined the common feedback last week about the games being too hard shotwise for most and not awarding points the same as the new Sterns do. 20 people have told me that. You downvoted that too.

Sorry if I’m saying something you don’t like for some reason. I am just passing on what people tell me.

Sorry you don’t like the game - maybe move it on if you’re not enjoying it.

rd

1 week later
#14528 10 months ago

Lots of ticks = good.

rd

IMG_3696 (resized).jpegIMG_3696 (resized).jpeg
#14534 10 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Please take the keys out of your back box, thank you. -Pinside

When people show up to this arcade, the last thing they care about is some keys.

rd

IMG_3014 (resized).jpegIMG_3014 (resized).jpegIMG_3110 (resized).jpegIMG_3110 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#14797 10 months ago

The option of the middle was nice but it feels not worth the time, so it's better to simply drain down and shoot back up to get to the spinners.

This.

You’re much better to let it pass through the middle PF and bang it straight back up top and bash the spinners.

If you do that efficiently you’ll start House MB in no time. Plus, the ball needs to be up there anyway for the balcony shot.

rd

#14806 10 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Same as everyone’s lol, too easy.[quoted image]

IMO good to have that option.

If people find the spinners too hard, they have the option to grind away on the middle PF.

Something for everyone.

rd

1 week later
#14978 9 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

MRS it!!
Matt

His switch is over sensitive.

He can just adjust it.

rd

#14980 9 months ago

Can it be adjusted from underneath the PF?

I haven’t looked but presume you access it from under the main playfield like the other playfield switches?

If so, easy to adjust from there. Just play with the actuator.

In saying that, I also vote for that switch to be ignored on the skill shot. Then you can do a soft shot to come down to the flipper. That’ll be invaluable when the ball saves are off (spoiler alert, that’s a setting that’s coming ….)

rd

#14993 9 months ago
Quoted from m4tt:

yes easy to get to and to adjust:

Looking at those ball paths - might be that his ball is bouncing around and dropping down on that switch. Maybe even hitting that lane guide lip and going up and down.

PanzerKraken maybe slo mo it on your phone from the shooter lane, and see if the ball does something funky.

rd

#15003 9 months ago

Switch adjusting is a little bit of an art … lots of hit and Miss and readjusting.

Don’t forget that normally it only needs to be triggered by normal orbit shots so it doesn’t need to be super high.

As long as it registers correctly when the ball rolls over it, sweet as.

rd

#15016 9 months ago
Quoted from Jakers:

It’s almost like I know what I’m talking about.

Yep, you could put an MRS in there.

Or you could fix the problem. The ball is activating the switch for a reason. Either it’s hitting something or the switch needs further attention.

Personally, I will always try and fix the problem before I swap out parts.

rd

#15021 9 months ago

Possibly, but worry that could cause a lane rattle or bounce

Is the centre lane guide (timber) hard against the metal ramp?

rd

#15023 9 months ago

the metal fork part? It's screwed at the tips of the metal ramp but all raised up. It's smooth and no obstructions, tried to see about bending it maybe a little to curve to the left but it doesn't budge, pretty solid ramp.

No, the timber that runs down the left side of the shooter lane.

Should be hard up against the metal lane ramp. I’ve had to move it over to the right a few mm on several new machines.

Easy enough to do (if it needs doing)

rd

#15056 9 months ago
Quoted from Mjlanham16:

Was hoping 1.12 might help fix this, but nope. Gonna have to dig in and figure this out. It’s very annoying

Look at the trough switches, particularly ball 6-7 switches.

Have all the balls in the trough. Put game up on the service arms. Put game into switch test. Get a small screwdriver and push each ball slowly up and down a few mm and watch the action of the switch. Beeps should be instant and consistent.

Sometimes with those switches, if the screws are too tight it stops the switch actuator moving inside the switch. If the beeps aren’t instant, try backing off the screws on the switch half a turn.

rd

#15059 9 months ago
Quoted from Mjlanham16:

Thanks, but it’s not the trough issue I’m having. It’s the Judith tombstone lock.
Seems to be fairly uncommon. See the rest of my original post.

If the trough is confused, any balls in the Judith lock are released.

They are related. Take my word for it.

Same goes for any pinball. A physical ball lock is generally an extension (code wise) of the ball trough. The game needs to know where all the balls are. When one or more balls goes missing (be it from the lock or the trough) then things happen. Balls are released from locks, or the game puts another into play.

Fix your ball trough and I bet your issue goes away.

rd

#15128 9 months ago
Quoted from djsolzs:Any chance you will speak on the Judith steal a ball?

You mean lock stealing?

They give you the locked ball back now when you drain - a physical ball save. Personally I like that a lot more than lock stealing. I make it my business to get a ball in there asap.

rd

#15179 9 months ago

I added port holes and even weakened the motor by adjusting the weights 90 degrees

You know the holes are for the bass eh?

Only way to adjust the shaker is to move the weights.

rd

#15207 9 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Just completed the wizard mode.

There isn’t one yet.

Did you do the boogeyman where you locked all 6 balls in the holes?

That’s for getting the SJPs in all 3 of the multiball modes.

rd

#15210 9 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

So yeah I locked all six balls in Boogyman which I considered a Wizard mode?

I think it **should** be the final Wizard mode, it’s great.

And rewarding too. I got 48m on it the other day.

rd

1 week later
#15295 9 months ago

Old mate m4tt getting on it and celebrating his successful HW/UM updates!

rd
IMG_4178 (resized).jpegIMG_4178 (resized).jpeg

#15301 9 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Where was that photo taken? Looks like my kind of place!

Hanging Ditch cocktail bar, Wellington NZ.

Good times …

rd

#15305 9 months ago

I've had it happen twice now that when hitting the Judith lock five times, that the drop goes up and closes, but then it just opens and releases the ball so I don't get the lock anymore. The drop lock works fine always on skill shot, but every time I do the five hits the lock doesn't work.

One of your ball trough switches likely needs a little adjustment.

rd

1 week later
#15360 8 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Yeah, so I'm done with this pin. It's too Fucking hard, I have no idea what's going on, and it just makes me angry when I'm done playing it. It's beautiful and I've had almost no issues with it, and I fricken love Halloween, but I end up angry 99% of the time after playing it.
Pinball is supposed to be fun. For me, and how much I apparently suck, this is not fun

A couple of ideas for you …

- put it on 5 balls. No shame in that, I have friends who do that so they can see more of the game.

- make the game a bit slower and tamer. Definitely don’t polish the playfield. Lower the rear legs a little.

- make the slings less sensitive.

- try some old fashioned rubbers on the flippers.

- try and start a mode before you start a MB. I like to start the roving shot hard expert mode one before I start House MB. You’ll finish the mode if you have a decent MB.

As you say, pinball is supposed to be fun.

So tune the machine so it is fun for you.

rd

#15385 8 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

It's just not for me

Hey, at the end of the day, not every pin is for everyone.

Deadpool lasted around 3 months at my house. Hour long multiplayer games sealed its fate. See ya!

Stern Star Wars lasted way less than that. Out the door!

Each to their own … lots of other pins to own/play.

Personally though - tougher pins are the ones that hang around. Perseverance pays off, the rewards are way greater when you beat the game.

rd

#15386 8 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man I’ll never sell my Halloween any game that shows boobs after making some good shots is a keeper for life

Funny - my mate came around the other day to check out HW - he’s a big fan of the movie - so I said “watch this”

Played that mode - shot all the shots - shot the balcony - boobs came out - he says “oh show more of the boobs!!”

“That’s what’s in the movie mate!!”

Ha!

Shows you can’t please everyone.

rd

#15389 8 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Perseverance pays off, the rewards are way greater when you beat the game.

** trundles off downstairs to play a game **

Getting green ticks is so rewarding.

Make no mistake, this game isn’t easy. I’d consider your 53m to be a very decent score.

rd
IMG_4250 (resized).jpegIMG_4250 (resized).jpeg

#15391 8 months ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I don’t think I’ve even cracked 30M.
I played about 5-6 games tonight and my scores were between 2M and 18M. I love this game, but I stink at it.

HW (and ACNC) are more catch, point and shoot games.

If people can’t do that, then they’re not going to be fans!

I like to take on the challenge, and try to get (consistently) better. I’m a decent player but my ball control skills pale against the Eschers of this world …

rd

#15394 8 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

some tips I use:
Plunge around medium-hard and practicing live-catching the feed on the left flipper. Shoot Judith from this catch and you're guaranteed either an extra ball, or a lucrative 2-ball multiball you can add to existing modes.
Get good at house mb, the house supers can be huge. Do nothing but rip spinners for your first super during its ballsave.
Some modes are better played in single ball.. I find the 'roving shot' mode to be dead simple, trap and wait for it to move to an easy shot, make it, repeat. Always start the next mode ASAP, there's precious little points on the playfield otherwise.

^^^^

Yes to all that.

rd

1 week later
#15428 8 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Way too many that wrote it off.

That happens with a loooot of games.

Often, with lower volume games, half the time the people haven’t even played one.

“That game sucks”

Oh yeah, what don’t you like about it?

“Haven’t played one. Read online that it’s no good”

Get that all the time.

rd

#15468 8 months ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

I think what you’re seeing in the screen is the system just recognizing that you’re hitting the green enter button on the door. If you want to test your trough switches I’d remove all be balls and then drop them in one by one and see what happens, or manually click them down to see if the switch is recognized.

There is a dedicated trough switch test now. Scroll through the menu and you’ll see it.

It’s very good. I suggest entering the test, then pounding on the lockbar area — see if any balls change their switch status constantly. If they do, give them a little tweak.

rd

#15586 8 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I need to test this with the glass off and see if I can replicate it.

Try running a trough test - your problems sound like the game is losing track of the balls. Give the game a pound on the lock bar mech while in test and see if any switches change status.

See if any balls have become magnetic .. always worth checking.

rd

#15589 8 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I got house attack FIVE TIMES IN A ROW.

Couple of options for you …

1/ stop shooting the middle ramp all the time

2/ Get the super jackpot in House. Then you can’t play it again. Once you have all the Supers in House, Hedge, Sanitarium, that completes the mode until you play the mini Wizard mode. Then they open up again.

rd

1 month later
#15843 6 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Apologies but was hopeful we could do something to speed things up, looks like I need to find something to do while I wait

I gotta say, if waiting for the pinball to fire up for 90 seconds is causing you stress, might be time for some meditation techniques ….

rd

2 weeks later
#15973 6 months ago

In Death in the Driver's Seat, the exit ramp shot to the right on the sanitarium pf doesn't seem to do anything anymore?

It triggers that switch in the orbit you were having all the trouble with.

rd

2 weeks later
#16119 5 months ago
Quoted from m4tt:

Getting to it via normal gameplay is always going to be a huge challenge,

Challenge accepted.

rd

#16262 5 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Thanks Russ, Ill look into it further tonight.

Check that one/two of your balls haven’t become magnetised, that’ll stop them rolling down the ball trough.

Doesn’t take much to stop them rolling down there.

rd

#16328 5 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

And possibly get rid of hitting orbits to set up the drops again. All this would get rid of a lot of flailing to try and start something.

I don’t have a problem with the orbits …

But can’t you go to the Sanatorium playfield and shoot that top right escape shot, that should drop down and hit the right orbit switch and raise the drops? I don’t know that, but I presume that would happen.

rd

#16330 5 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I can hit the orbits, it's just too many steps in my opinion to get to another mode. I am lucky to even start 2 modes in any given game.

Thats pretty standard stuff …

Addams - hit the ramp to light the mode scoop

TZ - hit left ramp to light the piano

Etc

rd

#16338 5 months ago

So if the consensus is modes are too hard to start for you, what would you prefer?

An easy option where the scoop is always lit?

Or maybe just hit the orbit and light the scoop? Or the left ramp?

Throw your ideas forward …

rd

#16374 5 months ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

If 91% isopropyl doesn't take it off, try some Novus 2 on a clean rag, then alcohol to get rid of residue, then wax.
I try to use Novus sparingly, since it is a very fine abrasive.
RussM

Simple Green removes 9/10 ball trails.

If there’s a full line still showing after that, you’ll have to buff it with some 3M/Novus 2

rd

#16399 5 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

It will look even better without a key in the way

Just for “pinside”, I put all the headbox keys in all my 100+ pins.

Then I invited 90 people around for three days to play them all non stop. 8am to 11pm, three days in a row. Literally thousands of games played.

And guess what!

Nobody gave a toss about the keys.

rd

1 week later
#16428 4 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

You can eliminate that oily, wet look by sliding a sheet of paper between the protector and the screen and pulling it back out.

Yeah, we had one here that did that. The plastic cover flexes a little and touches the screen, gives you little round blobs.

We loosened off the nuts on the display/cover and readjusted, all sorted. If your cover is somehow warped, you could put washers between the cover and the display to give it some gap, that would sort it.

rd

#16431 4 months ago

Yea my cover is warped, the unit had damage when it shipped and that got pushed in and warped. The screen mostly looks fine when on and playing, its just when it's off and sitting there, it looks wet

Chuck some washers in between the cover and the metal screen frame, should sort it out. 10 minute job.

rd

3 weeks later
#16469 4 months ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

it looks like the first 2 balls are stacked up under the ball eject coil. Any idea how this is happening?

When the ball is ejecting, it’s not coming out properly, then falling back down the hole and sitting on top of the next ball (which has rolled down to where the other one was)

So you need to see what is happening.

Either:
- The ball is coming out too fast and bouncing back in
- The ball isn’t going up cleanly and falling back in

Sometimes a little bend of the trough housing (where the coil is mounted) can help. Bend the coil back or forward a little to make it hit the ball a little more squarely.

Good luck!

rd

2 weeks later
#16529 3 months ago
Quoted from waletboy:

I am going to buy the amp today and give it a try. Are you still running the stock speakers with no issues?

Quoted from John_C:

Yes, running all stock speakers. No issues.

I have the larger version of that amp in my latest homebrew pin. My one is 160+160+220w from memory.

It requires a larger power supply - I run the 36v supply that they offer.

I have run it with the Spooky setup. It has a lot more headroom, as you would expect. At extremely loud volumes, there’s a lot less distortion present in the headbox speakers.

BUT honestly, unless you’re trying to get permanent hearing damage (I already have that …) then the stock Spooky amp is more than adequate for 99.9% of owners.

rd

1 month later
#16677 60 days ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:The diverter bounce back can happen even with it working. The center ramp design has a very strict range in which you can hit, slightly off or strong hit can have the ball just bounce and roll back down the ramp

No, it shouldn’t do that.

Check your game has the metal flap at the top of the U-bend in the ramp.

This should stop the ball coming back down (if it makes it up)

If not - it’s a possibility the flap is bouncing the ball back down. Give it a bend either way to see if that helps.

I can make the centre ramp easily with either flipper - I played a well used UM today and could do it on that game as well, no problems.

rd

#16687 59 days ago

Yes I’m big on score balancing.

Don’t you worry, Kemp won’t get any rest till that happens.

rd

1 month later
#16871 27 days ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I am also getting multiple pinballs in the shooter lane. I emailed AJ and this is his reply
“ IF you can watch the trough while you eject a ball in the coil test, that should give us a good idea as to what we may be encountering. As well double cehck that no light taps around the playfield cause them to register a switch as well. may even be an outlane switch getting triggered on you, unless you are never seeing the ball save animation? ”
I haven’t had a chance to test and look yet. As far as your coil something caused it to lock up. Need to see if the switches are touching y
That activates it. They may not be gapped enough or if there’s a microswitch that’s stuck closed.

Also check one ball hasn’t become magnetised.

The new balls seem to get magnetised sooooo easily these days.

One bad ball will screw up the others rolling down the ball trough and then you’re screwed.

rd

#16872 27 days ago

Really shows the disparity in scoring, when your getting over 30+ mil on MB modes, but beating a hard mode like Let Me In gave you 2 mil only

I’m committing my spare time to help Matt with this over the next month or two. Just got to get back home to NZ and get some work done, then we can get into it.

Modes need to be worth doing … completed modes should bring good rewards!!

rd

1 week later
#16880 19 days ago
Quoted from ActionDirk:

Unfortunately, yesterday, during a very good game, my board got up in smoke. Guess i have to get in touch with the customer support now as well...
[quoted image]

“Probably just a fuse!”

Boooom she’s gone alright!

Check for a dead short where that coil is. Something has detonated that mosfet!

rd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.