(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,282 posts
  • 861 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by MR-808
  • Topic is favorited by 285 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7793 (resized).jpeg
TBL Brown 2 (resized).jpg
TBL Bl 2 (resized).jpg
TBL Brown 1 (resized).jpg
TBL Bl 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2465 Tips on removing the upper playfield Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2474 Photo of the updated divertor Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2477 Photos of new tilt graphics side art for TBL Posted by jGraffix (7 years ago)

Post #2506 Factory visit update! Posted by rubberducks (7 years ago)

Post #2926 DP's response to their issue with ARA and game manufacturing. Posted by JimB (7 years ago)

Post #2971 pinghetto contacts ARA for information regarding the delays Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #2973 pinghetto information regarding contacting ARA Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #3056 ARA's email response about DP's claims. Posted by CrazyLevi (7 years ago)

Post #3483 Jaap from Dutch Pinball counters the ARA story. Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Post #3491 ARA counters the Jaap counter to ARA's previous communication! Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ollulanus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14222 1 year ago

Just FYI, I put in my deposit at the beginning of September, saying 10-11m ETA. Set myself a reminder to check in every three months on status. Reached out to Melissa a couple weeks ago and she said they been coming pretty steady so as of right now, presuming things continue as they have been, I should still be on target for Mar/Apr.

So, sounds like things are going according to plan for now at least.

5 months later
#14503 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

Mine has left pa en route to Chicago. It's all happening

Nice, when did you put your order in? I'm closing in on a year out and hoping to get a payment notice soon.

#14512 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

He just got his shipping notice today, you'll probably get your shipping notice this week too. They are all going on the same boat unless you sprung for air (is that still an option?)

Sounds like they're holding out to get a good batch before shipping..anyone know offhand when the last batch arrived? Sounds like I might be in the next round if April orders are shipping, though by those timelines would look like maybe another container in June or July?

1 month later
#14606 1 year ago

Anyone been invoiced lately? About 11m out, figuring I oughta hear something soon

2 weeks later
#14663 11 months ago
Quoted from WarriorPin:

Just joined the next wait list:
Ordered: 5/27/22
Invoiced/Paid: 5/9/23
Shipped: ??
Received: ??
The Invoice says "GAME WILL GO INTO PRODUCTION UPON RECEIPT OF PAYMENT, WILL SHIP WITHIN 90-120 DAYS.
When I asked Melissa, she said it is likely in the 60 day range but due to shipping, damage issues, and parts issues have led them to says 90-120.

Alrighty then. Deposit 6/8/22, so presume I'll hear from them pretty soon...

Quoted from FlipperFreak:

There is no “jumping the line”. Dutch doesn’t only make games for CT. When Stern runs games…they don’t all go to one distro. Similarly, if you take 200 orders and only receive 20 at a time …it’s going to take a while to complete the orders. Hence less orders equals less time to fulfill.

Props on coming by and providing some knowledge to the peanut gallery here. Too bad I'm not in Canada or the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure I'll get mine from CT eventually, but they really need to take some of that money they are making and invest in more people to handle customer service. I run a biz, and I get it - growth outpaces resources sometimes. Pretty reasonable to expect some occasional communication from someone sitting on 1k for months on end, let alone 13k.

#14666 11 months ago
Quoted from bnkbryan:

I hope this is good news for me, that I will be getting an invoice soon as well. Placed order/deposit on 5/22/22 and still have not received an email or call about the invoice.

Hmm, have to wonder why they aren't billing by date. One of you order the apron vs. not by chance? Or maybe CT just doesn't have their ducks in a row? Odd regardless if those dates are right.

#14670 11 months ago
Quoted from WarriorPin:

My 5/27/22 order includes the Stary Apron

Yeah, probably a rational explanation...maybe something to do with location. Or a processing thing with the deposit. Hope so at least, kinda not cool with putting a grand down, waiting patiently for a year, little to no communication, and maybe when you ponied the deposit doesn't matter anyway. I'd be inclined to call and see if an email was missed if you don't hear soon... though I guess it's questionable to rush to pony another 12.6k to continue waiting indefinitely too, lol

#14673 11 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If someone has read this entire thread, puts money down, then starts getting antsy, probably should not put money down to purchase. This thread is full disclosure of delivery reality vs. what a vendor says. Heed reality.
Props to DP for keeping this going and chugging along! Good luck to all!

True story. I still think it's pretty legit to be frustrated with CTs communication and lack of clarity regardless given the kind of cash we're talking here. No doubt it'll show up eventually, just doesn't seem like too much to ask for them to invest in the resources to manage things a bit better. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some proactive communication and transparency from CT once they start sitting in a grand of people's money. Definitely at 13k. Given that I cannot imagine they aren't making a nice tidy profit on each sale, there seems to be little excuse for not investing in the resources to do so.

Props to DP/Rensh and Nitro for being communicative. At the end of the day, I'll stifle my grumbling and wait like we all are, as I'm confident it WILL show up eventually and I'm stoked for the thing. Not sure I see myself ordering from CT again if there are other options though.

#14676 11 months ago

Can anyone clarify the differences with the EA edition? It does have the lit apron, right...anything else other than the plaque set it apart? There's one a pretty reasonable drive from me listed at a fair price, tempting to just pick that up and see about unloading my year old deposit

2 weeks later
#14709 11 months ago

Grats man, great weekend in your future. New playfield with the art back from the posts I presume?

#14713 11 months ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

You would be correct, sir...
[quoted image]
It also has the new board in the back box with the power connections for mods:
[quoted image]

Hah, the Jackie treehorn is a nice touch. What is that?

#14719 11 months ago
Quoted from WarriorPin:

Happy you finally got yours! Maybe I will be in the next batch shipped (paid 5/7)? Any idea the timing between batches?

Watching the thread it varies, but have generally seen batches land every 2-3 months recently.

#14721 10 months ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

I would agree this is pretty accurate. I think my 4 month wait was something of an outlier.

Kinda wonder if something strange happened with yours, eh? Haven't seen anyone else getting there's right now too. I mean, I can kinda see cointaker losing a 400lb pin for a couple months at this point,.lol. Bet it was under a pile of invoices somewhere.

#14731 10 months ago

Woke up to an anniversary present from CT today. Invoice for the remaining balance one year to the day.

Deposit: 6/8/23
Invoiced: 6/8/23, paid this afternoon
Shipped: ...lotta ins, lotta outs man...

Time to start figuring out something to get rid of to make room.

#14733 10 months ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

Based upon previous accounts, you'll have time...

Yup. And looks like I'm the second one invoiced a year to the day recently, which suggests CT is billing based on arbitrary time rather than "we got notice of this many coming in the next shipment, and are billing that number of people in order of deposit." The later would make a hell of a lot more sense, but I guess you don't have to put too much thought into how you run your biz and customer service when you're the only game in town and people are willing to put up with whatever to get the game...

Whatever. I do trust CT and Dutch will get it here eventually. And I clearly want it enough to put up with whatever :p

2 weeks later
#14765 10 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

. If you have this much business gotta hire.

True story. Now that the supply chain is clearing and NIB stuff is piling up again, we're gonna see a thinning of the distro herd I think. A monthly email update for all pending orders wouldn't make things any faster, but it would be easy to make happen semi-auto, buy a lot of goodwill, and probably ultimately save time by cutting back emails and phone calls while catching a few problems up front like invoicing issues too.

1 week later
#14774 9 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why? They are still using new money to build long paid for games. My advice is to forget you bought it, and be surpised in a year or so when the final request for payment comes. Then forget a bit longer. Then it just shows up and all is good.

Solid advice. You could also decide you don't want one bad enough to deal with the nonsense. Totally legit option too, and probably the smart one. Hoping to see mine in the next couple months though.

1 week later
#14785 9 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I wonder if any customers have died waiting?

I laughed out loud.

Then I realized it was entirely possible.

Then I realized you were likely serious, not joking.

Then I felt kinda like a jerk for laughing.

Then I laughed out loud again.

#14789 9 months ago
Quoted from Rensh:

We had him jump the line so he could enjoy it. We were sure that the Dude would approve of this.

And I'm sure everyone else would approve too. Props. And props for the transparency too.

As for the missing apron, that's absurd. Shit happens, but shit gets fixed or else. If I ran my business that poorly I'd be out of business in minutes. I guess it pales next to sitting on EA money for a decade, but it's also a much easier fix that building and shipping an entire machine.

My question would be if DP is even aware that someone's been missing the apron they paid for a year ago?

2 weeks later
#14796 8 months ago
Quoted from WarriorPin:TLDR: To reduce frustration, pay your invoice and blindly wait for a shipping notification at some indeterminate point in the future

We are not the smartest consumers.

Still looking forward to it, whenever it finally shows up. Worst part is gonna be worrying about it getting damaged in transit. Who knows how long that would take to straighten out

#14798 8 months ago
Quoted from EDUB919:

I’m glad it’s not a vehicle or something a person would need to use daily.

Speak for yourself. I fully intend to use it daily.

#14813 8 months ago
Quoted from WarriorPin:

It does not seem to make sense.

I forget which stage denial is, but I know it comes before acceptance.

#14815 8 months ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

My total wait time from order to delivery was 16 months. I'm starting to think that I was one of the lucky ones.

Watching this thread for the last year or so, it really ses to vary a lot. Which does make sense if they're sending groups of machines at a time to make shipping more practical. Lotta ins, lotta outs.

#14820 8 months ago
Quoted from sawyerfamilyaz:

Yes you should. In all honest you have two choices. I am typically a Choice 2 guy but somehow I was a Choice 1 for my TBL order and I was far happier.
CHOICE 1 - You should be happy you have a spot in line for a really great pin that will always be unusual to come by in the wild. You should settle in and enjoy other pins and live your life for the next 13 months and then pay the final invoice and realize it’s a small manufacturer from the other side of the world and it will be a few more months after you’ve paid all your money. That is likely going to make you happy and well adjusted and your machine will arrive after about 18 months.
CHOICE 2 - you could think about it nonstop and check this forum every week. You can use vague and unverified posts from other people you have never even met to try to detective your way to figuring out when your machine will arrive. You can create a whole new set of anxious worry once you pay your invoice and since you’ve now expended all your money your patience level will need to drop very low. You can deal with this by calling and emailing the distributor over and over even though they clearly are not in the loop and are probably not provided info from the manufacturer on the progress details of any single machine in production so they will be forced to give you vague answers based on where they think your order is, which will be great for you because those answers won’t be 100% consistent, especially with what scattered info you get from Pinside, so you can get even more upset. Then when you’re finally furious about this limited run luxury item you have purchased for fun, IT WILL SHOW UP ON THE EXACT SAME DAY as if you had just made your payments and been in a coma the whole time.

LMAO. Seriously. Pin that post as "How to Order TBL."

#14823 8 months ago

Gotta say, after all the past drama and the genuine frustrations in this thread, I put down my money for three reasons:

1. There was good evidence Dutch had made their way outta a bad start and were doing their best to do right by people.

2. You (Rensh) were on here keeping people informed as best you could, and looking for feedback.

3. My wife said ok.

They're all equally important

#14827 8 months ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

Ha! Get ready to buy a case of it then...lol!

I feel like kalhua or tia maria would be more theme appropriate. And a better coping strategy would probably be a shot for every month you've been waiting. 14 shots should make a delivery date the least of my concerns.

#14829 8 months ago
Quoted from EDUB919:

Meanwhile I’m stuck playing the same old Alien, Queen, Cactus Canyon…

No one feels sorry for you, lol.

1 week later
#14844 8 months ago
Quoted from DVDA:

Melissa is telling me mine will be in a couple of weeks but we will see how true that is. (Paid in full 6-6-23)

Not holding my breath, but I paid just a couple days later, so if true hopefully that'll land mine as well.

#14847 8 months ago

Here's hoping a bunch of folks are moving to the owners club soon. I need to figure out where I'm gonna put the thing...

#14858 8 months ago
Quoted from EDUB919:

reason I stop in on this thread is to see if anyone is actually getting a game shipped to them.

Yup. I like you guys, but I kinda wish you'd all be quiet until you're saying your game shipped so I'd stop getting excited every time I see a new post float it to the top of my feed :p

#14867 8 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

210 days? Something is off no way. Should do it like spooky you order and get a number assigned to you. Even other distributors have batch numbers so fair. I say 800 shipped so if you’re 840 you know you’re close. Easy.

Yeah, there are so many ways this whole process could very easily be made less frustrating. Testament to the quality of the game that folks are willing to begrudgingly deal with it. If CT just sent everyone a brief "here's what we know" update monthly, they'd save a ton of frustration and get a lot fewer emails/calls I bet.

#14874 8 months ago

When did you two get invoiced? I was at the beginning of June, thought maybe I'd catch the next batch but haven't heard anything, so prolly still waiting. Patiently.

#14887 8 months ago

Reached out again today since lots seem to be shipping (making sure I didn't miss an email more than anything). Told I'm in the upcoming batch, shipping 10 days at the most. We'll see, but cool beans if I get to go bowling soon too.

1 week later
#14937 7 months ago

FYI, I called Friday as Melissa had told me shipping inside of 10 days two weeks prior. Was told the next batch, with mine, is in country waiting to clear customs and I should expect to see a shipping notice in the next week or so. Deposit early June of last year.

#14941 7 months ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Many including me are over 200 days since paid in full. Don't get your hopes up as its a long journey to get that call. I've been told twice now customs issues along with other reasons my game has been delayed.

200 days? At 5% interest on 13k, which is what basic money market funds are running currently, that's about $350.

#14943 7 months ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

So you're trying to make me feel better huh!

I think from here on I'm gonna just keep mouth shut until I see my pin or it's been long enough since I paid I can't anymore. G'luck and godspeed.

1 week later
#14951 7 months ago

Just got my ship notice. Woot.

I'm assuming tracking will follow? Anyone know who they usually ship with? Asked Melissa the other day, but did not hear back (she's been pretty good about getting back to me lately, though).

#14955 7 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Woke up to an anniversary present from CT today. Invoice for the remaining balance one year to the day.
Deposit: 6/8/23
Invoiced: 6/8/23, paid this afternoon
Shipped: ...lotta ins, lotta outs man...
Time to start figuring out something to get rid of to make room.

Had to go dig it up, see above. Invoiced a year to the day from deposit.

1 week later
#14966 6 months ago

Graduation day. Really impressed with the build quality, even if the ordering experience leaves much (much) to be desired. Little touches like this go a long way.

See ya all on the other side, soon I hope.

PXL_20231006_203553941.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20231006_203553941.MP (resized).jpg
#14989 6 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Still gotta laff at the people getting impatient. It seems your pin will get built 18 months from order. Forget about it for a bit, or cancel. The headache isnt worth it.

This is the way.

However: the big issue is overpromising and under delivering. I'm a big fan of Hanlon's razor, and I genuinely think Cointaker/Melissa means well...this is likely naive optimism and overwork on her part leading to always promising a bit more than can be delivered. But it destroys goodwill when you never, ever do what you say when you say it. Tell me it'll be six months and then call me with good news in four.

And hire some people and come up with systems to proactively communicate with the people who've been willing to risk handing you thousands of dollars. That's how you build and keep goodwill while you grow. I wish Melissa no ill will, but this was an exceptionally poor experience compared to every other company I've ordered from. PBL, Marco, Comet - they're exceptional. Most of the machine only guys are great too. I would not order a lightbulb from Cointaker at this point if I had any alternative. And I do. I would absolutely buy another Dutch machine, but not if I have to go through Cointaker.

Quoted from Goyomex:

^^This 100%^^ Absolutely enamored by Dutch and the quality of the TBL, but i won't buy another Dutch pin if i have to go through Cointaker. Sure i'm not alone here. There are plenty of other US distributors out there that prioritize basic comms and elevated customer service. Hit the thread up for a list!
Hope Dutch is listening.

TO BE FAIR: It's worth going back to the begining of the Dutch story and remembering they did a bang-up job of overpromising, failing to deliver, and communicating poorly for a LONG time. They are STILL making games that they took money for EIGHT YEARS AGO. Starting a tiny pinball company is a crazy undertaking; the fact that they've figured out a way to make good on the physical promise they made to those people IS impressive, but let's not pretend they haven't failed on the temporal promises on a MASSIVE scale. In a way, they set a standard Cointaker is just fulfilling. And, I think they probation owe a little loyalty to Melissa for being the front man for a bunch of justifiably pissed and skeptical people for years.

However, CURRENTLY they seem to really have their shit together. I went ahead and ordered largely because I saw Rensh consistently communicating and providing customer service here. That buys a ton of goodwill in my book. I fully intend to look ya up and give you props in person at expo next week.

Though...There may well be more to the 8 month since deposit story than I know from hearing one side, but I WILL say knowing Dutch is spending time here and therefore knows it's an issue...well, I hope they are looking into it and say so. If not, that's a hard strike against them. Yes, it's kind of the point of the distribution model, but no, it's not cool to leave your PAID customers to the mercurial whims of your sole distributor, at least not if they are failing THAT hard. I'm stoked to have the game I paid for 1 Jun 23, but if someone else paid in January this one should be in their house and I should still be waiting.

Anyway, it's an impressively built gem. I've had the glass off a lot so far, but it's all been adjusting switches and tightening up a few things, totally expected after shipping halfway around the world. Another nice touch I noted - in addition to the art now being cut back from the posts, they also installed silicone washers under star posts and such from the factory. Don't recall seeing that mentioned post playfield-gate, but definitely an appreciated touch.

At this point, I'd buy almost ANY theme Dutch makes next - from PBL, Marco, Mad pinball, or another company I trust and enjoy dealing with. There are maybe two themes I'd suck it up and deal with Cointaker again...and since I doubt anyone will make an Adventure Time or Wes Anderson pin, I'm probably out unless they add a distro or two.

My 2 cents (maybe more like 50 cents). Gonna go get a couple games in now.

1 month later
#15096 5 months ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I think it's very important to understand the history here... My understanding is, and if anyone has any direct knowledge that challenges my understanding I totally get it, without Melissa/Cointaker there almost certainly wouldn't be a Big Lebowski at all other than what was produced before Dutch went belly up initially. You can decide for yourself whether that's a factor in how you perceive the situation but I think it deserved to be at least a point to consider. I do not know the details of this at all so I can't say and won't speculate on exactly what went on behind the scenes and how we got here so far as any financial involvement or whatever.

Yeah, that's my suspicion too. I don't think anyone deserves a free pass, but I get the situation is complicated and I'm glad it worked out so we could all enjoy a really stellar game.

It's silly for any of us to act like we didn't know what we were signing up for at this point. But it's just dumb to minimize standards and expectations like

Nice, lol

1 month later
#15169 3 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

It blows my mind people put down a deposit for TBL, then whine about how long its taking, or that the distro is communicating. The only comms you need are initial purchase, final invoice and delivery.
Hint. It could take 1.5 years.

Look, flaming at CT isn't warranted, but giving them a big old pass isn't either. Yes, if you're smart you read this thread first and have low expectations that will be well met. Yes, it will take about a year and a half, and you'll have zero proactive communication after giving them $1k or eventually 13k, and if you reach out they will most likely over promise on timelines and under deliver. None of this to my mind is Malice or even incompetence, it's just apathy and optimism gone wrong.

I don't hate CT or anything, and I at least knew exactly what I was signing up for and trusted it would get here, eventually, and it did. But it was a singularly sub-optimal customer experience, and I don't think anyone should be faulted for expecting some pro-active and more accurate info from them when we're talking about this kind of money. Where on earth else do you hand a company 13k on faith and then just trust them completely? Frustration is reasonable.

Did appreciate the sausage though! They aren't bad people, but I can get a better experience when buying pins elsewhere.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,000 (OBO)
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ollulanus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club?tu=ollulanus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.