(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 491.
#1101 9 years ago

The best analogy for John is being someone like Terrence Malick. Someone who makes works of art and takes forever doing them but is always under the rader. The Steve Jobs analogy is dead wrong. Steve wasn't an artist with a niche audience, he was a master artisan who was able to get into the consciousness of the mainstream. Big difference. Artists makes things that people don't need in a practical sense but can feed the soul. It's spiritual & very personal. Artisans make things that can be aesthetically pleasing but also serve practical needs. Like having an iphone can be relevant for day to day life for instance. Having a pinball machine is just there to make you feel better.

#1102 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Aliens and saucers are secondary to the Zombie theme in the flyer. Quite contrary to the side cab art.

I don't know if he took it more in that direction because of Spooky or not or just that's where his creative brain went but IF the ideas and art ever make it into a pinball machine it's gonna be great!

John values his "33 year pinball" history greatly and I know he'll die trying. He will get it done.

#1103 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't know if he took it more in that direction because of Spooky or not or just that's where his creative brain went but IF the ideas and art ever make it into a pinball machine it's gonna be great!
John values his "33 year pinball" history greatly and I know he'll die trying. He will get it done.

I hope he doesn't "die trying" but I hope he ships completed pins and amazes us all.

#1104 9 years ago

Hope when December comes its a close to completed code and not just a flipping game. If not u guys will be waiting another year. It's going to take 6 months just to build them when the parts come in... And I'm talking about magic girl, never mind raza

#1105 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

All Quiet on the front lines. Thinking no news is good news

Ice old mate, you'd have to be the most optimistic dude Ive ever met!

Wishing the best for December ... But not holding my breath.

rd

#1106 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's a bad analogy as well since it did actually get made.
Perhaps the Winchester House is an apt analogy.

How about Crazy Horse monument?

#1107 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The only thing ur going to see is two more Christmas seasons go by before u get ur game

You're such an optimist!

#1108 9 years ago

Personally I love the retro sci fi stuff, it's way cooler to me personally than zombies, which are getting so overexposed and boring. It's just too bad instead of being influenced by the old films he directly took the characters out of them. So what? That's the final art? Or just one more overly elaborate tease?

Whatever the origins it looks great. Thing is I buy limited edition prints for a lot less than 10k, and can fit more of them in my house than pins. Getting cool art isn't hard. It's getting a cool pinball that's the trick, and no cabinet art covers that part.

#1109 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Ice old mate, you'd have to be the most optimistic dude Ive ever met!
Wishing the best for December ... But not holding my breath.
rd

RD, are you talking about next December? haha

I would say I'm a glass half full kind of guy but I usually drain every last drop

Two more xmas's, next December? So you're saying there's a chance!

#1110 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

RD, are you talking about next December? haha
I would say I'm a glass half full kind of guy but I usually drain every last drop
Two more xmas's, next December? So you're saying there's a chance!

Do I smell another Ice-RD wager coming up? Hmmmmmm

I already polished off my last winnings. In fact they only lasted 2 days.

rd.

#1111 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Do I smell another Ice-RD wager coming up? Hmmmmmm
I already polished off my last winnings. In fact they only lasted 2 days.
rd.

Yeah we will come up with another wager of some sort! 2 days, that would be about right for me too.

#1112 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah we will come up with another wager of some sort! 2 days, that would be about right for me too.

What a bunch of sad asses we are. Lol!

rd.

#1113 9 years ago

“We leave (mods) for you to think up , and then you can ask us to do them,” he says. “If you want your wife’s face in the machine, we can do it for you.”

I nearly spit out my drink on my laptop when I read this quote from the Pavlov article on pinball and John's comment.

Uhhh, hell no I don't want my wife's face on my pinball machine! I love her and my three girls but pinball is my "man cave time". I'll take Kate Upton's face, along with her rack on my pin though, actually, I might have John "mod that" for me like he says he can.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#1115 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Iceman... RE: Zombie Adventure

Maybe JPop will take on the attitude that Gene Cunningham did for Big Bang Bar, back in 2003-05. He was going to finish the game, even if it cost him $$$.

#1116 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Iceman... RE: Zombie Adventure
Maybe JPop will take on the attitude that Gene Cunningham did for Big Bang Bar, back in 2003-05. He was going to finish the game, even if it cost him $$$.

Gene had much deeper pockets then jpop does. Big diff

#1117 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

And a big pile of old parts he could use or sell to fund it.

rd.

#1118 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Perhaps the "owners" (I use that term in quotes because right now all you own is the right to bitch on a private blog) should start raising more hell again and ask for actual updates.

I suspect, however, everyone will wait for whatever time in December he's promising to show more. Perhaps he might show an insert or a ramp next.

What concern of this is yours?

Provocative comments from those standing on the sidelines serve no purpose here other than macho bluster and stir the shit. I imagine you are one of those that have a permanent seat in the peanut galley of life. And you stroke your ego by sniping at those actually participating.

Again I ask, what concern of this is yours?

#1119 9 years ago

He brought all this on himself by taking preorders for 3 pins without even coming close to finishing 1. Can anyone explain that? Better yet can he explain it!

#1120 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Provocative comments from those standing on the sidelines serve no purpose here other than macho bluster and stir the shit. I imagine you are one of those that have a permanent seat in the peanut galley of life. And you stroke your ego by sniping at those actually participating.
Again I ask, what concern of this is yours?

U can use these freely I found them for u

image-56.jpgimage-56.jpgimage-258.jpgimage-258.jpgimage-472.jpgimage-472.jpgimage-771.jpgimage-771.jpgimage-331.jpgimage-331.jpg

#1121 9 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

He brought all this on himself by taking preorders for 3 pins without even coming close to finishing 1. Can anyone explain that? Better yet can he explain it!

He can not explain it adequately and he knows loud and clear this is a bone of contention. Your point is valid and JPOP knows it.

Look, please don't misunderstand my other post. I want and appreciate constructive criticism from Pinside. Much of the past criticism here I have used as my own words in some very heated conversations with JPOP.

Some of you guys on the outside are acting like the owners are just cattle standing around. Individually and now collectively JPOP is feeling the heat.

So feel free to keep the criticism coming. But knock off the keyboard boasting of what others should do or what a tough guy you'd be "if" you were in on this.

#1122 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

He can not explain it adequately and he knows loud and clear this is a bone of contention. Your point is valid and JPOP knows it.
Look, please don't misunderstand my other post. I want and appreciate constructive criticism from Pinside. Much of the past criticism here I have used as my own words in some very heated conversations with JPOP.
Some of you guys on the outside are acting like the owners are just cattle standing around. Individually and now collectively JPOP is feeling the heat.
So feel free to keep the criticism coming. But knock off the keyboard boasting of what others should do or what a tough guy you'd be "if" you were in on this.

#1124 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

This is a public forum, and I'm calling out bullshit behavior. Also, I know a couple of people personally who are being jerked around in this whole thing that have invested a significant amount of money with zero real results, and it pisses me off that my friends are getting hosed.

#1125 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

This is a public forum, and I'm calling out bullshit behavior. Also, I know a couple of people personally who are being jerked around in this whole thing that have invested a significant amount of money with zero real results, and it pisses me off that my friends are getting hosed.

We'll be sending your award for humanity in the mail asap

#1126 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That's not really being communicated back. The owners seem as quiet as Popaduik himself, so naturally people speculate.

knock off the keyboard boasting of what others should do or what a tough guy you'd be "if" you were in on this.

I don't think I made any such comments but I am welcome to be corrected. Mostly I'm just calling the situation bullshit and Popaduik ridiculous for his whole secrecy play. He's the author of his own misery.

#1127 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm calling out bullshit behavior.

As am I but I have no need of unidentified friends to back me up.

Quoted from jwilson:

The owners seem as quiet as Popaduik himself, so naturally people speculate.

Perhaps you should speak directly with your "two friends".

#1128 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Do you have access to JPop's bank accounts or tax return statements? How do you know his finances?

Quoted from lllvjr:

Hope when December comes its a close to completed code and not just a flipping game. If not u guys will be waiting another year.

Soooo.... It's like the code on any new Stern game? Wait a year+ for it to be fleshed out?

#1129 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Do you have access to JPop's bank accounts or tax return statements?

Lol, if I did I would give out raza refunds

#1130 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Well what are you gonna do about it? Just life in the big city

We are just on the slow boat to China

#1131 9 years ago

So since it doesn't effect me directly I should just shut up about it?

Perhaps all this public heat on Popaduik might effect him, and even more importantly other boutique makers who might reconsider doing this pre-pay thing going forward.

I don't think keeping it private is as effective. See any political scandal for proof of that.

#1132 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

So since it doesn't effect me directly I should just shut up about it?

No, keep ramping up the rhetoric, what else are you going to do about it? We have put plenty of "heat" on John.

Fyi, if you don't have this "pre pay thing" you don't have other pinball options.

It's your choice, nobody has a gun to your head, pre pay, or not. If not, it is guaranteed to not get made.

If people want to take the risk, that's their choice. If they took the risk up front then its suck it up time. Bitch, moan, complain, what else are you going to do?

#1133 9 years ago

Nice update on the blog today Ice, check it out if you havnt already.

#1134 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OMG... thanks for the heads up!! GREAT looking new stuff!

#1135 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's your choice, nobody has a gun to your head, pre pay, or not.

Prior to the public "outing", people seemed to think the pre-pay system was the way to go. But now that most of the pre-pay options have failed to deliver and the discussion is taking place publicly, people who aren't directly involved in this particular transaction might reconsider doing a transaction elsewhere, such as TBL or WOOLY.

If your special clubhouse hadn't leaked out here on Pinside, those people might have thought everything is hunky-dory on the pre-pay front. Now they're more informed about risks and how not a single pre-pay game has been delivered yet. Well, except BoP 2.0 which is just a kit anyway.

Also, let's assume Popaduik eventually delivers all three games. Rejoice! However, there is now a public record that there was serious problems with delivery of those games, and he'll have some incentive to make sure it doesn't happen again because the next set of buyers will have this info and will be more informed about his methods, instead of it being locked up behind a walled garden on a site you can't read until you pay.

So, based on that, I guess I don't agree with the idea that if it doesn't directly effect you, you should just shut up.

#1136 9 years ago

Nobody is saying "shut up". Whine about it all u want if it makes u feel better. It is what it is.

#1137 9 years ago

Easy men... Points well taken. Lets not kill each other... How's Christmas looking with the updated u customers have seen this month?

#1138 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

But now that most of the pre-pay options have failed. Now they're more informed about risks and how not a single pre-pay game has been delivered yet. Well, except BoP 2.0 which is just a kit anyway.

Hmm both my WOZ and AMH were prepay and they actually exist.
Both took longer than original estimated too.

#1139 9 years ago

There is a thread that Nemo has shipped or has a shipping date within a month.

#1140 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Holy crap! WOW, I freaking love it!

Quoted from lllvjr:

Easy men... Points well taken. Lets not kill each other... How's Christmas looking with the updated u customers have seen this month?

Anybody that has been thinking about getting in now, after all of this time, should jump in and take one of those spots that are up for sale if they are still available. Yes it will be a year before its shipped.

When it gets finished (insert timeline jokes here!) it's going to be amazing.

You can actually see part of the MG cab in one of the updated pics. Holy crap! I can thank Apple for paying for that one, and all the others for that matter!

#1141 9 years ago

John can run things any way he wants... IF he were giving refunds to anyone who asked for any reason. If the journey isn't the reward for them and they're tired of it, then let them out.

Because there are multiple people we know of that can't get out, then this model is broken. The NDA's have been VERY effective of snuffing out information for the greater pinball community and killing enthusiasm for the game, so much so there is no apparent waiting list anymore.

At the same time, John is not confident enough in the NDAs to show the owners anything that HASN'T been patented (yet) and very little of the game.

I asked again last week on the blog what YEAR I might see the game. No response. There was a blog post this week of the white wood build, but that tells me nothing of how much is left to do, where we are and what timeline we're looking at.

#1142 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

John can run things any way he wants... IF he were giving refunds to anyone who asked for any reason. If the journey isn't the reward for them and they're tired of it, then let them out.
Because there are multiple people we know of that can't get out, then this model is broken. The NDA's have been VERY effective of snuffing out information for the greater pinball community and killing enthusiasm for the game, so much so there is no apparent waiting list anymore.
At the same time, John is not confident enough in the NDAs to show the owners anything that HASN'T been patented (yet) and very little of the game.
I asked again last week on the blog what YEAR I might see the game. No response. There was a blog post this week of the white wood build, but that tells me nothing of how much is left to do, where we are and what timeline we're looking at.

I think people need to make their own judgments on what they see and where its going from here. The fact is, that John can't afford to not get these pins out sooner than later. Based on what I've seen recently and what I think we will see in December, I have no problem with where things are currently at, especially with different partner discussions.

I think we will get a "timeline" on Raza with the new guy he hired if we can be a little more patient, by the end of the year.

We all know how fickle pinheads are, when people get a look at that MG, I predict a huge renewed interest in Jpop pins! If not, who cares, I'm just glad I'm on the list.

#1143 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think we will get a "timeline" on Raza with the new guy he hired if we can be a little more patient, by the end of the year.

I wish John would just state that if that's the case.

Last he told me, in his response a few weeks back, was that he would answer the questions. Then silence.

#1144 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Hmm both my WOZ and AMH were prepay and they actually exist.
Both took longer than original estimated too.

I stand corrected. I thought AMH wasn't prepay though?

#1145 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

There is a thread that Nemo has shipped or has a shipping date within a month

Yep! That's mine.
Within 2 weeks now...

I have been waiting for Nemo for 30+ months so there is hope...

#1146 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Yep! That's mine.
Within 2 weeks now...

Congrats Jim, the wait will be well worth it!

#1147 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Holy crap! WOW, I freaking love it!
When it gets finished (insert timeline jokes here!) it's going to be amazing.
You can actually see part of the MG cab in one of the updated pics. Holy crap! I can thank Apple for paying for that one, and all the others for that matter!

I'm glad all 17-50+ people will be happy. For the rest of us I'm not even sure it matters for such a small run... I'd like it to matter, but in the end it's just too few.

#1148 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I'm glad all 17-50+ people will be happy. For the rest of us I'm not even sure it matters for such a small run... I'd like it to matter, but in the end it's just too few.

125 for RAZA? I think anything that advances pinball, like what Jpop is trying to do "matters", a lot.

AIW could be 250 or whatever the demand is. John is trying to start somewhere, just because we all don't own every pin I think it certainly matters on a lot of levels.

#1149 9 years ago

Let's put a pin in this thread and check back after next expo and see where we are.

#1150 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Soooo.... It's like the code on any new Stern game? Wait a year+ for it to be fleshed out?

This isn't about your Metallica is it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collinsville, IL
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.