(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 437 of 490.
#21801 7 years ago

Is Magic Girl the pinball version of "The Ninth Gate of the Kingdom of Shadows"? The secret to summoning the devil may be hidden in part amongst each of the games.

6a00d8341c88b453ef017d4114a0fe970c (resized).jpg6a00d8341c88b453ef017d4114a0fe970c (resized).jpg

#21802 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Is Magic Girl the pinball version of "The Ninth Gate of the Kingdom of Shadows"? The secret to summoning the devil may be hidden in part amongst each of the games.

I kind of imagined the Devil would hide the keys to his kingdom in a game that at least shoots well.... Unless you're getting a vibe like "Repent, or where you're going every game will play like this!", in which case carry on.

#21803 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I kind of imagined the Devil would hide the keys to his kingdom in a game that at least shoots well.... Unless you're getting a vibe like "Repent, or where you're going every game will play like this!" vibe, in which case carry on.

True, but I was actually thinking of the designer got burned at the stake as a heretic and the hired hands got thrown to the lions kind of vibe.

#21804 7 years ago

I'm surprised and glad to see JPOP produce anything for the Magic Girl buyers, I really never thought it would happen.

There may not be many shots and aspects of the game will probably never be functional as intended but the Zombiyeti artwork is fantastic.

For the buyers, I think something is better than nothing.

#21805 7 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

Thanks Ted for posting the videos the game looks stunning. But as we all can see it has alot of issues on game play. Hopefully someone can get better code and fix some of the issues.

My pleasure. At least the game is playable. When I put a few games on it I'll give my impression. One thing is that most, if not all the MG owners have dough. They will find a way to make the machine better.

#21806 7 years ago

"Didn't Last Long" may get a bit old.

#21807 7 years ago

I know we all hate Jpop but this is one pretty game. This what is what a 15k BM66 should have looked like. I see this game and I think one, Jpop pulled a miracle out of his ass, two AP made this pipe dream happen. I feel for them, the logistics to get the foam ramps and other bullshit John put together made into a real machine is nothing short of a slam dunk. I don't care about the code, it can be fixed. Stern only wishes they could make a game as imaginative as that. There are a few hundred of us so called Pinball experts here. Almost all of us still don't know what half that crap on the Pf really does.

#21808 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

****Community Alert**** Its perfectly acceptable to be offended on somebody else's behalf. That's what good human beings do. That's what makes society better. Don't shit on somebody for trying to think of the feelings of others.

Thanks for saying that maple -- I was thinking the exact same thing earlier when this came up but didn't want to get in a debate about it in the Mg thread.

Ok -- back to mg thanks for sharing videos (to those involved), enjoyed watching them. Beautiful game, can't believe something was finally delivered.

#21809 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

****Community Alert**** Its perfectly acceptable to be offended on somebody else's behalf. That's what good human beings do. That's what makes society better. Don't shit on somebody for trying to think of the feelings of others.
I'm not looking to get in the middle of a squabble, but let's not pretend that thinking of other people is a bad thing, ok?

What?!? First we have to stop objectifying women and now we have to be nice to special needs people? Where is the fun in that?

I kid. Seriously, not being an asshole shouldn't be so difficult. Especially with all the MG vids to dissect at great lengths.

#21810 7 years ago

It looks to shoot ok actually...not great, but not bad. It has some pretty cool ideas. I'd take one over a BM66 for sure.

#21811 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I know we all hate Jpop but this is one pretty game.

All thanks to ZombieYeti...

All Jflop is good for is pissing away $1M+ dollars and being a wanna-be Bernie Madoff, and quite frankly, should be scooping shit for the rest of his life until he repays all the other people he shit on to doodle in his "happy place" when all the real talent did all of the work (behind the NDA screen)...

#21812 7 years ago

Love the comments in the video about the "Creepy little Jesus fellow". lol

#21813 7 years ago

So where did TOTAN go?

And what's the very loud alarm type sound?

Hope you do some inside, under side, show us the boardset the audits, the diagnostics ECT.. and get John on the horn at same time so he can explain why he sent a game out in such a state. It makes no sense to me.

Topper looks kinda funny with the sides lit up and the face or whatever all dark maybe just the camera.

Still think you lost out. I know I wouldn't ever want it, but seems like as long as it's pretty and resembles a pin you still have a chance. Good luck to you.

Can someone refresh me on RAZA and AIW totals? I am thinking it's more like 2mil that got squandered.

#21815 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

er….this one
» YouTube video

What's interesting is if he'd actually bothered to look at the site I put up to help owners alot of his questions as to what features are would be answered.

In the interests of helping buyers out (on my own time yet again) the following answers may be useful

The jinx wheel - feature 2 on my shot map is activated and disabled by the 2 central follower buttons just above the magic letters

The poof post - feature 10 on my shot map is activated by hits to the poof target which is to the lft of the magic shoppe scoop. There are only a certain number of poof post saves though available per ball, so use them wisely.

#21816 7 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I would be interested to see the boardset. From what I hear it is a P-ROC clone. Want to see if John actually reverse engineered my Computer Startup/Shutdown system that he never paid me for and used it in the final version of the game hardware.
--Scott

Here are a few pics I snapped at the NW Pinball Show. There is one small board that looks like it could by a startup/shutdown board above the PC board, mounted vertically.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

IMG_1680 (resized).JPGIMG_1680 (resized).JPG

IMG_1681 (resized).JPGIMG_1681 (resized).JPG

IMG_1682 (resized).JPGIMG_1682 (resized).JPG

#21817 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Here are a few pics I snapped at the NW Pinball Show. There is one small board that looks like it could by a startup/shutdown board above the PC board, mounted vertically.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Man... look at how complex magic girl is on the inside..
How in the world can one have all these development costs,custom mechs and only build 19?
In retrospect we were stupid beyond belief.

#21818 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Man... look at how complex magic girl is on the inside..
How in the world can one have all these development costs,custom mechs and only build 19?
In retrospect we were stupid beyond belief.

Try being on the inside developing all this, then getting shafted on the bill and rewards.....

#21819 7 years ago

Another positive post from me for the buyers. I have started to expand the rules and features a little after going back through the code and rules documents i have in my archive. This page is based on what i created for the game.

http://magicgirlcode.org/features.jsp

It is also linked from the main page, after the shot info. This is a work in progress so please don't jump on me right now if its not all populated. I am working through a lot of files to refresh my memory and also i run a company which has orders, so i am doing this in between my normal day job.

Also, i REALLY hope this post doesn't get lost on here and we get more videos of 'no idea what this does... what's this for...' or i end up having to repeat myself over and over and over

Please also remember i am not a support help desk for all things wrong with zidware or john's construction. I have no link to AP or Zidware. I act on behalf of my own software and hardware company ONLY...

I hope the above is useful.

#21820 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I know we all hate Jpop but this is one pretty game. This what is what a 15k BM66 should have looked like. I see this game and I think one, Jpop pulled a miracle out of his ass, two AP made this pipe dream happen. I feel for them, the logistics to get the foam ramps and other bullshit John put together made into a real machine is not short of s slam dunk. I don't care about the code, it can be fixed. Stern only wishes they could make a game as imaginative as that. There are a few hundred of us so called Pinball experts here. Almost all of us still don't know what half that crap on the Pf really does.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This game isn't pretty in my eyes. Images are crisp and nicely rendered, but the sum total just isn't pretty to me. Plus the title "Magic Girl"- when I first heard about it, I thought the title was an April Fool's Joke. Who is this "magic girl" anyway and why should I care? ToTan has a classic story behind it, ToM is based off classic magic acts of old, CV classic circus concepts. Who the heck is Magic Girl? The third cousin of Puff? Why should I or anyone else care?

#21821 7 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This game isn't pretty in my eyes. Images are crisp and nicely rendered, but the sum total just isn't pretty to me. Plus the title "Magic Girl"- when I first heard about it, I thought the title was an April Fool's Joke. Who is this "magic girl" anyway and why should I care? ToTan has a classic story behind it, ToM is based off classic magic acts of old, CV classic circus concepts. Who the heck is Magic Girl? The third cousin of Puff?

Respectfully disagree

#21822 7 years ago

Given the amount of plastics all over the real game, having trouble following the shot map.

Can you confirm the biggest two 'doesnt works' / confusing things he pointed out:
- the central assembly at the top of the ramp. Lightning flippers on your map right(item 16)?.. is there a piece of hardware missing that you can tell?

- Jesus caveman thing. Looks like that might be the Levitate feature on your map but it's blank.

Quoted from applejuice:

Another positive post from me for the buyers. I have started to expand the rules and features a little after going back through the code and rules documents i have in my archive. This page is based on what i created for the game.
http://magicgirlcode.org/features.jsp
It is also linked from the main page, after the shot info. This is a work in progress so please don't jump on me right now if its not all populated. I am working through a lot of files to refresh my memory and also i run a company which has orders, so i am doing this in between my normal day job.
Also, i REALLY hope this post doesn't get lost on here and we get more videos of 'no idea what this does... what's this for...' or i end up having to repeat myself over and over and over
Please also remember i am not a support help desk for all things wrong with zidware or john's construction. I have no link to AP or Zidware. I act on behalf of my own software and hardware company ONLY...
I hope the above is useful

#21823 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Respectfully disagree

That's fair enough; but when people say this is the prettiest game of all time, and nothing comes close, I really wonder.

#21824 7 years ago

That's fair enough; but when people say this is the prettiest game of all time, and nothing comes close, I really wonder.

I agree. Thematically the game is a mess, with owls from Harry Potter , Volta is clearly Tesla from "The Prestige", an Arabian or otherwise Magic Girl... oh and a mad rabbit from Alice in Wonderland on the LCD.

It's colorful. But where are lit inserts indicating where to shoot? It's more an art project than a pinball. The ramp is makeable so it shoots better than I thought. But still the layout isn't exactly for shooters.

It just goes to show you the Williams team were just that, a team. One pinball dictator calling the shots for everything results in a sub par game.

#21825 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

There are a few hundred of us so called Pinball experts here. Almost all of us still don't know what half that crap on the Pf really does.

Or doesn't do.

#21828 7 years ago

removed video

#21829 7 years ago

True

#21830 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Given the amount of plastics all over the real game, having trouble following the shot map.
Can you confirm the biggest two 'doesnt works' / confusing things he pointed out:
- the central assembly at the top of the ramp. Lightning flippers on your map right(item 16)?.. is there a piece of hardware missing that you can tell?
- Jesus caveman thing. Looks like that might be the Levitate feature on your map but it's blank.

I did say above regarding this new information page. "This is a work in progress so please don't jump on me right now if its not all populated. I am working through a lot of files to refresh my memory and also i run a company which has orders, so i am doing this in between my normal day job."

However, let me clarify the 'central mechanism'. It is 2 mechanisms really. The upper playfield is the power playfield and is accessed as described:

16) Power Playfield (Magnetic Flippers)
Named the power playfield by me as reference and hat tipping to tz, it is a magna flip playfield that is qualified by successive right loop shots that light the word POWER. See the playfield image to upper rhs. Once qualified a left ramp shot should divert the ball to the upper playfield instead of up to the left or right exit ramps. Once on the playfield jackpots are scored and advanced by the rear targets

The top magnet is part of the kings chamber and this was one on the mechs i never saw completed. The idea was that the 3rd ball for multiball would be fired upwards from the lower popper and caught by this magnet at multiball start before being released along with the other 2 locked balls on the ramps. This is one of the features that i wanted to check details on as the code will most likely need work here, though there is code in place based on my best guesses. I didn't have the upper magnet part ever sent to me on my prototype.

The 'jesus caveman thing' as you put it is feature 12) Levitate Feature (Lightning Flashers) which is an open core magnet that sucks the ball up into it for a timed amount after a certain amount of shot to the target below. The ball should float at the top of the magnet. I haven't had time to add this to my site docs yet.

#21831 7 years ago

The levitate feature sounds interesting. It doesn't appear the top magnet is hooked up on the kings chamber, so that's a shame. You've added some very innovative and interesting things to the game Jim. Very cool to hear the explanation behind them.

#21832 7 years ago

Thanks for filling us in. Hopefully the one guy that's been public checks out your site and determines one way or the other if any of these things work in the final product.

Quoted from applejuice:

I did say above regarding this new information page. "This is a work in progress so please don't jump on me right now if its not all populated. I am working through a lot of files to refresh my memory and also i run a company which has orders, so i am doing this in between my normal day job."
However, let me clarify the 'central mechanism'. It is 2 mechanisms really. The upper playfield is the power playfield and is accessed as described:
16) Power Playfield (Magnetic Flippers)
Named the power playfield by me as reference and hat tipping to tz, it is a magna flip playfield that is qualified by successive right loop shots that light the word POWER. See the playfield image to upper rhs. Once qualified a left ramp shot should divert the ball to the upper playfield instead of up to the left or right exit ramps. Once on the playfield jackpots are scored and advanced by the rear targets
The top magnet is part of the kings chamber and this was one on the mechs i never saw completed. The idea was that the 3rd ball for multiball would be fired upwards from the lower popper and caught by this magnet at multiball start before being released along with the other 2 locked balls on the ramps. This is one of the features that i wanted to check details on as the code will most likely need work here, though there is code in place based on my best guesses. I didn't have the upper magnet part ever sent to me on my prototype.
The 'jesus caveman thing' as you put it is feature 12) Levitate Feature (Lightning Flashers) which is an open core magnet that sucks the ball up into it for a timed amount after a certain amount of shot to the target below. The ball should float at the top of the magnet. I haven't had time to add this to my site docs yet.

#21833 7 years ago

I'm just going to say, Jim you are a better man than me.

#21834 7 years ago

SpecialK thanks for all the videos. If you get an hour or so... Go through applejuice 's feature list at http://magicgirlcode.org and figure out what works and what doesn't. Also a small request.. Brenda is a great Magician's assistant and if she could throw in a random "they're after me Lucky Charms!" it would be GRRRRR-EAT!

p.s. Love the dog cameos.

#21835 7 years ago

Thanks for all the info Jim!

#21836 7 years ago

I have to say that I find the prospect of applejuice and zombieyeti (amongst others) not getting the machines (and payment) they were promised far more concerning, and indeed unacceptable than the buyers potentially losing out.

You might ask why.

Whilst I have every sympathy for those in such situations, the buyers were putting disposable income into a toy, in the simplest terms. Also, needless to say, around these startups, it's always caveat emptor.

The contractors were doing a paid job that represented part of their livelihood, career choices and professional reputations. They absolutely should be considered preferred creditors.

Unpaid contractors have been a dirty little secret in pinball for a while now, and it's far nastier and in the long term much more problematic for the industry if it continues on unchecked.

#21837 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Some thoughts...

I'm not looking to get in the middle of a squabble, but let's not pretend that thinking of other people is a bad thing, ok?
When somebody says, "Hey, that language is a little offside". You can say, "Go Fu$% yourself you SJW piece of Sh!%", or you COULD say, "Hey Dude, no offence intended, I was only joking. I get it, I've got family that's effected too. Not looking to start an argument, let's get back on track"
I'll always try to encourage people here to act like more of a community. Being thoughtful isn't a terrible thing.
I think sometimes people KNOW in their heart of hearts that they are not racist, or misogynist or whatever they're being accused of, so they get offended at the suggestion that their language leaves that impression. Instead of being thoughtful about the criticism, they get their back up and adopt a fighting stance. Nobody wins.
Here's something I noticed. K's vid have just around 100 views. Let's keep in mind. The people who give a shit about Magic Girl are a niche within a niche within a niche. We're all nerds here, so we should try to get along!

Point. Well taken and very true......

Counterpoint. Sure it's perfectly respectable to defend in honor of someone or something. I do it myself. However, it comes to a point where everything cannot be sterilized, sanitized, and plain old vanilla. It just isn't going to happen.

This all came up in this thread because I have been calling Kaneda "Special K". I am being called out as being offensive for this. For god's sake Special K is the name of a cereal! Is that offensive too? It's a damn bowl of corn flakes! You know, if I was calling him Retard K, Mental K, then yes, climb all over my ass. This is light hearted ribbing of good ole Special K, a guy that has earned himself a lifetime ban from Pinside. But no, let's call out a guy because he is using the word "special" in a ridiculously perceived derogatory way. Wow, how harmful can I be? I feel sorry for that anyone would be that sheltered from reality as to consider calling that offensive. Please, get off my back and find something that really is offensive.

It's a shame that too many people like to pick battles where no shots have been fired. This isn't even a spit wad in a straw.

So, let's drop the Gaunlet.......Kaneda.......many times you have said "come on my podcast" in PM's to me". So here it is, let's go , put me on. I want to know if YOU are offended by the name Special K. No holds barred, I will discuss anything you want. Answer anything you want. BUT, I get the same freedom of questions back.

#21838 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I have to say that I find the prospect of applejuice and zombieyeti (amongst others) not getting the machines (and payment) they were promised

Just so I understand....were you guys promised a certain amount of money and got paid NOTHING....or were you paid something and just weren't paid the balance?

#21839 7 years ago

Have we already reached the point of diminishing returns on Magic Girl?

A bunch of new video, and not even a full page of new posts?

VD 'o Jack's "There's nothing more noble than making fun of retards and I am friends with retards so it's ok if I do it" debate catching more fire than Magic Girl talk?!

I don't know, that's not a lot of ROI for $20K plus.

#21840 7 years ago

I have been having trouble keeping up, but having to use quarters for a game that was designed for home use only sums up JPoP's dysfunction too well...

#21841 7 years ago

Who did the music and sounds? Game sounds amazing!

#21842 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Have we already reached the point of diminishing returns on Magic Girl?
A bunch of new video, and not even a full page of new posts?
VD 'o Jack's "There's nothing more noble than making fun of retards and I am friends with retards so it's ok if I do it" debate catching more fire than Magic Girl talk?!
I don't know, that's not a lot of ROI for $20K plus.

Wait a minute....where did I EVER say it's noble or even OK to make fun of a retarded person? Now you are just full of it! You got caught in a completely false accusation, proven wrong, and now you want twist my words? You sir are the problem.

#21843 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Wait a minute....where did I EVER say it's noble or even OK to make fun of a retarded person? Now you are just full of it! You got caught in a completely false accusation, proven wrong, and now you want twist my words? You sir are the problem.

Relax dude. Lighten up. We are just joking around here. Stop being so sensitive and politically correct.

besides, we are talking about Magic Girl here. It's got like...ramps and a spinner!

#21844 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Relax dude. Lighten up. We are just joking around here. Stop being so sensitive and politically correct.

Now I know there is a problem, you just accused me of being politically correct.

#21845 7 years ago

Spinner?!? That's a derogatory term for my girlfriend.

#21846 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Spinner?!? That's a derogatory term for my girlfriend.

Yeah, but your quite happy she is!

#21847 7 years ago

It's actually good news that the coin mechs work. I think we'll be seeing these all over on location soon.

#21848 7 years ago

Hey Jim...is the "How to change back to Free Play" info on your webpage?

#21849 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's actually good news that the coin mechs work. I think we'll be seeing these all over on location soon.

Unlikely. There are only 19 and a number of owners are not even unboxing them. Maybe one or two make it out. There are what, ~250 BBB 's and I only know of one on location.

#21850 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Unlikely. There are only 19 and a number of owners are not even unboxing them. Maybe one or two make it out. There are what, ~250 BBB 's and I only know of one on location.

od2o7 (resized).jpgod2o7 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 437 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/437 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.