(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 491.
#951 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Happy to report John gets "the Lebowski effect" as he calls it on the blog

See? This is how good Dutch Pinball is! They show off an awesome game, and solve Jpop's issues, all with one blow.

I'm pulling for all of you to finally see something real after all this time. I've been a skeptic, and I'm still one, words aren't changing my mind any, but be happy to be shown up on this one.

#952 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And its been gut wrenching for those of us that have been in since the beginning. This is disposable income but trust me, when/if we get our games, we will have earned them.

All income is disposable. Keeping it is the hard part.

I hope I get to play one of these.

#953 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I disagree with JPOP's take on the Lewbowski Effect or perhaps I don't fully understand his interpretation. To me the Lewbowski Effect in this context means, under promise and over deliver. Ain't nothing new but that's what Dutch Pinball showed me.
But whatever. I spoke with John and he is really motivated by all of this. The December reveal will be a pivotal moment.

To me the Lebowski effect is:

-Show a game and let people play it, that gets people more excited than pictures of art of empty cabinets. Showing a game and letting people play it will get you more customer confidence and pre-orders.

By creating the insular secret club cult bubble to "reward" pre-buyers, he made himself look bad & alienated the rest of the pinball community - and we are POSSIBLE buyers.

#954 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I'm a buyer and I know nothing! ...... probably my fault

Ok Sgt. Schultz! Get on the blog Bill

#955 9 years ago

#956 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

By creating the insular secret club cult bubble to "reward" pre-buyers, he made himself look bad & alienated the rest of the pinball community - and we are POSSIBLE buyers.

Let's get real here Greg. Nobody every stays "alienated". Look at Stern.

If you see a pin you like from Jpop you'll buy it, just like you did with TBL, IF it ever gets made

Quoted from dmesserly:

Give it a rest, will ya? He doesn't owe anyone except his customers anything.

Seeing that Bill aka Wcbrandes is in on all 3 of jpop's I think you misunderstood

#957 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Let's get real here Greg. Nobody every stays "alienated".

Right, I'm just talking about the current moment in time & how it relates to Lebowski. Jpop created a bubble...even some of those in the bubble were getting antsy & wanted to sell their spots. If those in the bubble know very little...how would one expect anyone outside the bubble to pony up the dough for one of these things? That is the Lebowski effect. Transparency & showing a flippable game = chilled out pre-buyers & more sales.

#958 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Let's get real here Greg. Nobody every stays "alienated". Look at Stern.
If you see a pin you like from Jpop you'll buy it, IF it ever gets made

Seeing that Bill aka Wcbrandes is in on all 3 of jpop's I think you misunderstood

Yeah, I missed the later comment that he was an owner. That's why I deleted my post. You're too quick!

My comment still stands for anyone who thinks ajpop owes them any info if they aren't a customer. Right or wrong, it's the way he chooses to run his business.

#959 9 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

My comment still stands for anyone who thinks ajpop owes them any info if they aren't a customer. Right or wrong, it's the way he chooses to run his business.

That's fine, but you have to understand that he's not going to attract new customers that way (or people to "buy out" a pre-order when someone wants a refund.) That's "The Lebowski effect" vs. "the Jpop effect"

#960 9 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Yeah, I missed the later comment that he was an owner. That's why I deleted my post. You're too quick!

The point being is he is in the process of changing the way he runs his business. You are certainly right, he can run it anyway he wants to. But after Expo I think he has found a better way forward imo!

Things will loosen up a whole lot once MG hits "the rug" with the big reveal.

#961 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

after Expo I think he has found a better way forward imo!

Yea, I really think JPOP was in that "1992 williams" state of mind, to keep everything under lock and key until it's ready to go out the door. I think his KISS license getting taken away really sent him over the top.

maybe after seeing so many companies (other than Stern) being so transparent, and doing just fine in sales that it's okay to show most things (and potentially beneficial), unless you have some mind blowing new toy that nobody has come up with before.

I think the only reason Stern is so locked down is because they don't want outside eyes influencing projects and holding them up.. They want to keep that factory cranking out games, and if some designer feels passionate about a major design change, it'll really hurt the bottom line.

#962 9 years ago

Hopefully john had a come to 'the jesus' moment (along with the lebowski effect) that trying to build customized games for every single customer is suicide. Sure, it's a nice thought, but it's just not viable.

#963 9 years ago

I'm still selling my pre order RAZA spot for $6300.00 and I'm $ 6500.00 into it.

I do have new information about plans for a group to potentially help JPOP out of this mess. We will see what happens and I hope they are successful.

#964 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's fine, but you have to understand that he's not going to attract new customers that way (or people to "buy out" a pre-order when someone wants a refund.) That's "The Lebowski effect" vs. "the Jpop effect"

Sure. I understand that. I hope he does as well. I don't really care what anyone says here about his business. That's their opinion. What annoys me is people's sarcastic attitudes that John owes anyone outside his customers.

#965 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think his KISS license getting taken away really sent him over the top.

He had a KISS license to begin with?!?

#966 9 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Sure. I understand that. I hope he does as well. I don't really care what anyone says here about his business. That's their opinion. What annoys me is people's sarcastic attitudes that John owes anyone outside his customers.

We're all potential customers.

#967 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

He had a KISS license to begin with?!?

Nah, he was fishing for it, hoping to get it. Lost the battle to Stern.

#968 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Nah, he was fishing for it, hoping to get it. Lost the battle to Stern.

Do we know this for a fact? Stern doing Kiss is just a rumor at this point.

#969 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I do have new information about plans for a group to potentially help JPOP out of this mess. We will see what happens and I hope they are successful.

What John needs more than anything is someone to tell him no when it needs to be said. On his own, he's forever changing things which just drags the schedule out longer and longer. As great as he may be as a designer/artist/idea man, he really needs a business-mind to steer the ship.

I hope things come together. I'd love to see his games completed, because I'm sure (at the VERY least) they'll look awesome. Hopefully they'll play just as well, too.

#970 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We know they have the license, yes. When will they act on it? No idea.

#971 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Jpop created a bubble...even some of those in the bubble were getting antsy & wanted to sell their spots.

As one of the original buyers when RAZA (BHZA at the time) was announced, I can tell you that one of the main reasons I got out was due to the complete lack of any information regarding the status of the project. There was no communication at all. If wanted to know something, you had to call or email John. Half the reason I got it is because I wanted to have fun, "enjoy the ride" so to speak, by watching things develop and progress along the way. When it became obvious that this wasn't going to happen, it just didn't make sense for me to stay in.

Things have apparently been a little better since I got out, with John posting some things on the blog etc. but it still doesn't sound like there's a whole lot of info being provided, especially in terms of pictures, which is probably due to his fear of being copied (some might call it paranoia).

#972 9 years ago

Just assuming the game won't be a complete working prototype till Decembers reveal. The game will be about a 10-12 months before they ship. UL testing, having vendors make the parts in final design quantity with quality control from jpop, wire harness builds, building the actual games. U won't see mg ship soon, but we will see the quality and craftsmanship by December.

#973 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ok Sgt. Schultz! Get on the blog Bill

I would but he still hasnt emailed me back my pass code! I don't even know where to look for it!

#974 9 years ago

dmesserly said:

Give it a rest, will ya? He doesn't owe anyone except his customers anything.

Two! I'm a hard ass, I want to wait to see one before the third, plus I went and put money on TBL and Hobbit. I think there is one more out there but I forget at the moment I'm the poster boy for Barnum and Bailey's most famous quote!

#975 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Happy to report John gets "the Lebowski effect" as he calls it on the blog
He's announced new team members and brought on a much needed "project manager" to help him organize production, timelines, etc
MG "on a rug" reveal in Dec. Good to know he still has a sense of humor after the beating he took. And then RAZA shortly thereafter.
Here is hoping he can create the "Jpop effect"
Yes I will be paying RD for a case of beer!

Well, I take no pleasure in winning the bet. It'd would have been cool if you'd got your games by Xmas.

However, drinking your beer will elicit pleasure.

Hmmmmmm an ethical quandary!

And how will we get a case of Modelo from Texas to Auckland? Logistics!

Or the local supermarket is doing 24 Coronas for $42 NZD ....

Ohhhh I wish we had a Walmart with $9 Dozens ... But hey, we don't ...

Good news that JPOP has a production dude. I did make that comment about the time we made the bet ... Or maybe before that. Creative ideas dudes like JPOP (I know a few like him...) need someone to focus them on the job in hand. Otherwise nothing ever gets done. So today is a step in the right direction. I hope he employed the right guy.

rd.

#976 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Jpop told me in person Stern came in half way through and scooped it on him. Its Gene Simmons...its all about the money not the art or game play!

#977 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Jpop told me in person Stern came in half way through and scooped it on him. Its Gene Simmons...its all about the money not the art or game play!

And that makes Gene different from any other licenser how?

None/most of them couldn't care less about pinball. They just want a check.

There was a comment made in the Hobbit thread that the licenser didn't want Smaug to be hit with the ball or "interact" with the ball.

Well, considering BALROG gets hit with the ball in LOTR, and you shoot the ball through the ring, etc etc etc, you'd have to question that, wouldn't you ...?

rd.

#978 9 years ago

RD never said he was any different which is exactly why Jpop should have never gone there in the first place and more importantly why I have money down on Jpop's designs!

#979 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

RD never said he was any different which is exactly why Jpop should have never gone there in the first place and more importantly why I have money down on Jpop's designs!

Maybe JPOP chased the KISS licence because like it or not KISS = $$$$

1000+ KISS games sure sounds better than 20 Magic Girls money wise.

Anyways, I hope these prototypes show up in December as promised.

rd.

#980 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Good it will be another Rolling Stones for them I'm sure

#981 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Who knows...maybe Stern had already been trying to get it for years - after all, Stern music games ARE a thing.....maybe Kiss looked at these two pinball companies and said "one has a factory and just made thousands of Metallica & AC/DCs and the other one is just some guy who's made nothing"...

#982 9 years ago

I'm sure most will disagree, but in my view of the world, if Stern knew Jpop was in talks with them and swooped in to take it, while not illegal by any means, does strike me as scummy.

If they did not know and it was just something they were pursuing since they have been doing a series of old rock and roll bands, then no harm no foul.

If KISS liked the idea from jpop, and decided to shop it around and brought it to Stern, then hard to hold it against Stern, but would have been nice if they passed on it, if they knew Jpop had been pursuing it. Not saying I would have expected Stern to do that, but would like to see that type of behavior in such a small ecosystem, no matter how unrealistic that is.

#983 9 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'm sure most will disagree, but in my view of the world, if Stern knew Jpop was in talks with them and swooped in to take it, while not illegal by any means, does strike me as scummy.
If they did not know and it was just something they were pursuing since they have been doing a series of old rock and roll bands, then no harm no foul.
If KISS liked the idea from jpop, and decided to shop it around and brought it to Stern, then hard to hold it against Stern, but would have been nice if they passed on it, if they knew Jpop had been pursuing it. Not saying I would have expected Stern to do that, but would like to see that type of behavior in such a small ecosystem, no matter how unrealistic that is.

This was the way of the world when capcom,Wms, and data east ruled. Welcome to the Buisness world

#984 9 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Gary told me in February that they had been chasing KISS for years but Gene wanted a lump sum payment up front and that always killed the deal.

So no "scummy" involved here. Gene just came to his senses in the end.

rd.

#985 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Bummer! To think what might have been
image-248.jpgimage-248.jpgimage-8.jpgimage-8.jpgimage-759.jpgimage-759.jpgimage-278.jpgimage-278.jpgimage-272.jpgimage-272.jpg

#986 9 years ago

Why'd he waste time on Kiss game if he's working on and selling pre-orders on 3 others?

#987 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Bummer! To think what might have been

image-278.jpg 63 KB

image-759.jpg 29 KB

image-8.jpg 55 KB

image-248.jpg 59 KB

That's bad ass!

#988 9 years ago

No offense to anyone but that layout doesn't look all that interesting, I mean the game is beautiful but that red Gene Simmons in the middle just isn't doing it for me...what do you guys think?

Edit: maybe the game is missing ramps and other things....if so nevermind.

#989 9 years ago

Stern probably did the Jpop, MG, RAZA and AIW pre-pay guys a favour anyway (in a round-a-bout way), also in business, and no doubt with someone like Jpop, there will/should always be backup plans and ideas should shit meet fan at any point.

Edit: no doubt that Kiss looks great but would anyone bet against the next-in-line Jpop pin looking awesome as well?

#990 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

No offense to anyone but that layout doesn't look all that interesting, I mean the game is beautiful but that red Gene Simmons in the middle just isn't doing it for me...what do you guys think?

It's not a finished playfield ie no ramps ect.. I'm guessing the finished product would of been BA!

#991 9 years ago

I'm glad he didn't get it, one less thing for him to worry about! Focus

#992 9 years ago

I prefer original themes far more than licensed ones. JPop is a master of originality. I was actually not very excited when I heard he was doing Alice in Wonderland. Him not doing KISS is no biggie to me because the theme is just so not my thing.

Seriously I want to know what Zid games #4, #5, and #6 are gonna be. You guys laugh but I need to know. These JPop games are like Pokemon to me. I gotta catch and collect them all!

pokemon games.jpgpokemon games.jpg

JPop = J "Effin' Bad Ass" Pop"pin' Vagine"

#993 9 years ago

When/IF Jpop gets the train rolling down the tracks, after building his patented cabs and having re done a lot of the engineering that doesn't have to be duplicated in the future, he could end up being the most desired pinball creator for the future......

AIW is gonna be sick, #4, #5, #6, what's next? It will be like creating a Leroy Neiman piece of artwork I think.......

Assuming he puts an engine in the train

#994 9 years ago

Assuming he has the money, or the help to put the engine in the train.

#995 9 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Stern had been courting KISS for many years, but KISS always wanted too much $$$$$ up front.

When Stern told KISS that their largest selling pin ever was AC/DC, KISS suddenly accepted Stern's terms.

-

Jpop was never even in the running to make the KISS pin. His company has no track record of producing any product at all.

KISS is a merchandising company, not likely to invest time in vaporware.

#996 9 years ago

Yeah another point about the kiss thing is that they wouldn't want just 150 to be made.. Theyd want unlimited. So, I am not sure why Jpop even pursued it as it wouldn't fit his boutique model.. Let alone why he spent all that energy on a mockup.

#997 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I am not sure why Jpop even pursued it as it wouldn't fit his boutique model.. Let alone why he spent all that energy on a mockup.

I'm sure it was simply a fun diversion.

Everybody that was cool, loved KISS in their youth.

Kids painted their vans, drew on their notebooks, painted their faces for Halloween.

Jpop got to crank off for a few weeks of childhood fantasy.

#998 9 years ago

Well, and it was a project he did with a dying friend who is now passed. Hard to hold that against wanting to fulfill a dying friend's wish.

#999 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

However, drinking your beer will elicit pleasure.

Hmmmmmm an ethical quandary!

And how will we get a case of Modelo from Texas to Auckland? Logistics!

Or the local supermarket is doing 24 Coronas for $42 NZD ....

Ohhhh I wish we had a Walmart with $9 Dozens ... But hey, we don't ...

Take your pick RD, Can't believe they even have Coronas there! I'll paypal you the $$$, it was worth the fun and I figure you probably need some extra cold and chilly's after your epic US adventure

#1000 9 years ago

And I just noticed, wanted to pop in #1000 on this thread, it feels like a #10000 post journey so far!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.