(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 473 of 490.
#23601 6 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

That cracked me up. Don't forget the autographed signature on the back!

Hadn't thought about that!

Should frame the check and hang it on the wall as a reminder not to throw money away in the future.

Edit: Then again, maybe I should just bury it and pretend this never happened.

#23602 6 years ago

So, I'm kind of new to this whole John Popadiuk drama. My first realization that I even liked his games came very recently as I played a Cirqus Voltaire for the first time and was amazed. In almost no time, I bought one for myself and I can tell you, the game doesn't get old...it is just awesome. Then I look at his other games...all amazing. They are my favorite pinball machines ever.

Suffice it to say, I was super excited to find out what he was working on now...until I read what has been happening for the last five years or so.

I guess my question is, has Popadiuk been shamed into never producing another game, or is there still a bit of hope that these games will be completed? Perhaps nobody knows the answer to this question. To me, it almost appears like this guy has fallen off the grid.

Can someone hook him up with a competent builder/business person as I think his designs are quite impressive.

#23603 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

the game doesn't get old...it is just awesome. Then I look at his other gays...all amazing

I wasn't aware he had other gays, but that explains a lot

Quoted from Aniraf:

has Popadiuk been shamed into never producing another game, or is there still a bit of hope that these games will be completed?

Unless he finds another rube to finance his projects, I highly doubt it. You should probably go here to learn more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Popadiuk

Quoted from Aniraf:

Can someone hook him up with a competent builder/business person as I think his designs are quite impressive

American Pinball is happy to produce pinballs. First John has to come up with a design that actually functions.

#23604 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

American Pinball is happy to produce pinballs. First John has to come up with a design that actually functions.

and the money to fund the build (as well as a few other things, like proper engineering documents, etc.)

#23605 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Can someone hook him up with a competent builder/business person as I think his designs are quite impressive.

John, is that you?

#23606 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I wasn't aware he had other gays, but that explains a lot

Whoops.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Unless he finds another rube to finance his projects, I highly doubt it. You should probably go here to learn more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Popadiuk

I read it...it's super interesting. What a fall from grace!

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Is he simply bad at designing functioning games? I had assumed that he was the artist, then the engineering had to come in and make the game work. I figured it was similar to an architect. Often times architects are almost out of their minds...engineers look at their drawings and laugh at how impossible things are. Then you find an engineer who knows how to persist the good/unique parts of the artwork, but make a functional building.

Quoted from Jvspin:

John, is that you?

Nope, just some random dude who is getting into this scene. This Popaduik thing is only interesting to me because of my recent discovery that I really like his games.

#23607 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I figured it was similar to an architect. Often times architects are almost out of their minds...engineers look at their drawings and laugh at how impossible things are.

After watching John bumble around trying to make his own game, I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Trouble is John acted like he was an expert at everything.

#23608 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Isn't that what John touted himself to be? Oh... guess that was just another of his FUBAR ideas.
As long as he had the entire Williams/Bally team to fix his crap it worked out pretty well..

#23609 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Magic Girl is basically the pinball equivalent of a movie set town - from one angle it looks real but then when you look closer it's just a facade being propped up to look like a pinball machine.

You've got it all wrong. Magic girl, at first glance, looks like a tasty delight but upon closer inspection it turns out to be nothing more than a piece of shit!!

QSS

#23610 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Hadn't thought about that!
Should frame the check and hang it on the wall as a reminder not to throw money away in the future.
Edit: Then again, maybe I should just bury it and pretend this never happened.

6acfc2a64dec92a352663bf4195da0e4 (resized).jpg6acfc2a64dec92a352663bf4195da0e4 (resized).jpg

#23611 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

So, I'm kind of new to this whole John Popadiuk drama. My first realization that I even liked his games came very recently as I played a Cirqus Voltaire for the first time and was amazed. In almost no time, I bought one for myself and I can tell you, the game doesn't get old...it is just awesome. Then I look at his other games...all amazing. They are my favorite pinball machines ever.
Suffice it to say, I was super excited to find out what he was working on now...until I read what has been happening for the last five years or so.
I guess my question is, has Popadiuk been shamed into never producing another game, or is there still a bit of hope that these games will be completed? Perhaps nobody knows the answer to this question. To me, it almost appears like this guy has fallen off the grid.

You have your work cut out for you - read the first 23,000 posts. I'll save you some time getting oriented...

A quick recap.
JPop will never (IMO) build another game or be hired by any pinball maker.
He would be foolish to show his face at any pinball event - ever.
His failure as a business person was a spectacular train wreck.
Many people tried to help, were frustrated or rebuffed or otherwise screwed. - they starting telling their stories.
Vendors who gave time and parts were not paid. $thousands were lent in parts, labor, or prepays - all were squandered.
Claims are ongoing in litigation: I don't think any court rulings are final: claims are many and include fraud, commerce laws, broken contracts.

Recommended reading to catch up:
1. Various efforts to get a business person to rescue failed - search Pintasia in this thread - you will get the best picture reading the 100 posts before and after the Pintasia "event". Bill Brandes is an experienced business investor - Jpops misrepresentations were many. Bill spent real money on discovery and his findings were a big help in discovering the real state of MG and the lack of progress.
2. Read the keyposts at the top of this thread. Keyposts are marked by a small group of experience Pinside editors - the key post idea was prompted by threads like this with thousands of posts.
3. Search the thread for Bruce Zamost - He initiated the class action suit.
4. A small list of those who tried to help or were stiffed for payment include ZombieYeti (art), Applejuice (code), PBL, GLM, Cointaker, APB coils and electronics. Many tried - Ben, Spooky, JJP, myself, Andrew B, Ben Heck, @wcbrandes, @pdxmonkey- the list of well intentioned offers is long, and essentially summarizes as: JPop alienating everyone, refusing to listen, no humility to accept criticism, no credit to any of the artists, coders, suppliers, money troubles, etc. JPop went the opposite of other start-ups, and was completely opaque, and often decietful. Successful startups such as JJP and Spooky were very open and detailed on successes and failures, speed bumps, set backs etc. - completely opposite for Jpop.
5. Over time, we all discovered JPop has nothing to do with art, code, engineering/design on previously credited titles (he did some, but major oversight was required by the "real" designers - Steve Ritchie could explain, but he'd rather poke himself in the eye that recall those memories). Many podcasts have covered the fiasco, with interviews.

Whew - It was cathartic to write this. I only wasted a few hours trying to get MG to show Bill and the public a partially working MG at the NWpinball show. I feel horrible for the $loss and damage to many of my pinball friends, and pinball folks I haven't met, but were treated badly (putting it mildly). Hopefully this is an informative reply to your question.

#23612 6 years ago

One more thought...
I have sold all my Jpop titles. I avoid playing them on location and in tournaments. When I'm forced to play ToM I don't enjoy the game anymore (it was a top 10 for me before 2011).

#23613 6 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

One more thought...
I have sold all my Jpop titles. I avoid playing them on location and in tournaments. When I'm forced to play ToM I don't enjoy the game anymore (it was a top 10 for me before 2011).

Thank you for summarizing, and I am sorry I didn't do enough homework on the history here.

I am sure this is just one side of the story, but hell, there are quite a few people with the same story on this guy. What a mess!

That said, the fantastic games which have his name on them, also have the names of many other talented people on them. Like I said, CV is my first pinball machine and I do really love it. I've played so many over the years, and nothing ever caught my eye like this one did. Hopefully owning a game which holds his name doesn't tarnish my future as a collector and supporter of the hobby.

I don't know you, or your history…but I surely appreciate your effort to support this guy, even though he turned out to be an ass.

Thanks again for the time you took to explain this and get me up to speed.

#23614 6 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

You have your work cut out for you - read the first 23,000 posts. I'll save you some time getting oriented...
A quick recap.
JPop will never (IMO) build another game or be hired by any pinball maker.
He would be foolish to show his face at any pinball event - ever.
His failure as a business person was a spectacular train wreck.
Many people tried to help, were frustrated or rebuffed or otherwise screwed. - they starting telling their stories.
Vendors who gave time and parts were not paid. $thousands were lent in parts, labor, or prepays - all were squandered.
Claims are ongoing in litigation: I don't think any court rulings are final: claims are many and include fraud, commerce laws, broken contracts.
Recommended reading to catch up:
1. Various efforts to get a business person to rescue failed - search Pintasia in this thread - you will get the best picture reading the 100 posts before and after the Pintasia "event". Bill Brandes is an experienced business investor - Jpops misrepresentations were many. Bill spent real money on discovery and his findings were a big help in discovering the real state of MG and the lack of progress.
2. Read the keyposts at the top of this thread. Keyposts are marked by a small group of experience Pinside editors - the key post idea was prompted by threads like this with thousands of posts.
3. Search the thread for Bruce Zamost - He initiated the class action suit.
4. A small list of those who tried to help or were stiffed for payment include ZombieYeti (art), Applejuice (code), PBL, GLM, Cointaker, APB coils and electronics. Many tried - Ben, Spooky, JJP, myself, Andrew B, Ben Heck, wcbrandes, @pdxmonkey- the list of well intentioned offers is long, and essentially summarizes as: JPop alienating everyone, refusing to listen, no humility to accept criticism, no credit to any of the artists, coders, suppliers, money troubles, etc. JPop went the opposite of other start-ups, and was completely opaque, and often decietful. Successful startups such as JJP and Spooky were very open and detailed on successes and failures, speed bumps, set backs etc. - completely opposite for Jpop.
5. Over time, we all discovered JPop has nothing to do with art, code, engineering/design on previously credited titles (he did some, but major oversight was required by the "real" designers - Steve Ritchie could explain, but he'd rather poke himself in the eye that recall those memories). Many podcasts have covered the fiasco, with interviews.
Whew - It was cathartic to write this. I only wasted a few hours trying to get MG to show Bill and the public a partially working MG at the NWpinball show. I feel horrible for the $loss and damage to many of my pinball friends, and pinball folks I haven't met, but were treated badly (putting it mildly). Hopefully this is an informative reply to your question.

I had no idea +/- 23,000 posts could be summarized so well.

Bravo.

#23615 6 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

we all discovered JPop has nothing to do with art

adding insult to injury, Linda deal is a guest on the latest spooky podcast where she talks about doing the art on CV and theatre of magic. Sounds like she confirms John only art directed, didn't do any actual art. So if you like "JPOP" art, but can't afford zombi yeti, sounds like Linda might be available.
http://www.spookypinball.com/podpress_trac/web/1804/0/Spooky_Pinball_Podcast_88.mp3

#23616 6 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I only wasted a few hours trying to get MG to show Bill and the public a partially working MG at the NWpinball show.

From everything we've seen, you put together a "final" Magic Girl, since the customers all got the game with the same functionality. The game will never be more than that.

#23617 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

adding insult to injury, Linda deal is a guest on the latest spooky podcast where she talks about doing the art on CV and theatre of magic. Sounds like she confirms John only art directed, didn't do any actual art. So if you like "JPOP" art, but can't afford zombi yeti, sounds like Linda might be available.
http://www.spookypinball.com/podpress_trac/web/1804/0/Spooky_Pinball_Podcast_88.mp3

That was a great interview, esp. with Greg playing backup to fill the gaps - I was thinking the same thing, Linda is the artist and Jpop was the... hmm...what did he actually do, that someone else on the team didn't have to reengineer?

#23618 6 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

That was a great interview, esp. with Greg playing backup to fill the gaps - I was thinking the same thing, Linda is the artist and Jpop was the... hmm...what did he actually do, that someone else on the team didn't have to reengineer?

He was able to make copies on the copier and grab coffee for the crew in Harry's Cafe or, for a real treat he would go to the Starbucks on Belmont & Elston.

#23619 6 years ago

Does a house designer, wire up a house or paint it no

If Jpop was so crap of a designer why did Williams keep him,

A game design team with lead designer Jpop designed the games, I am sure he had a vision for art, and hired someone who could turn his vision into reality.

He is helping MG owners like me, and he never not replies to my emails

#23620 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Is he extending the same courtesy to all the people who bought his other games that were never delivered?

#23621 6 years ago

Does a house designer, wire up a house or paint it no
If Jpop was so crap of a designer why did Williams keep him,
A game design team with lead designer Jpop designed the games, I am sure he had a vision for art, and hired someone who could turn his vision into reality.

A house designer doesn't build a room with 3 vertical walls and 1 horizontal one. That's the kind of crap SRR and Python said they had to step in and fix.

The other comments: John this is going production in 2 weeks. Oh, I need 3 months. No, its 2 weeks, work around your need, and make the 2 week need. John did cram it in, and I'd guess not be happy, but he missed multiple deadlines, he would have been fired.

Ask SRR or read / listen to old Python stories - Jpop games only got done despite working around John. all ideas, but most not doable mechanically without others reworking those, plus kick his ass to stay on target. SRR said it was super difficult to get John to focus and actually outbox a mech or features that was producable and wouldn't suck or simply not work at all.

#23622 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Is he extending the same courtesy to all the people who bought his other games that were never delivered?

John burned everybody else, to deliver 19 incomplete games. My guess is silence is his only option at this point - nothing he says would change things and legally, his lawyer advice is don't talk or post in public about any thing you've done, past or present. Survival instincts should keep him from pinball events for the rest of his life. Even if he went, and didn't get approached by every stiffed RAZA/AIW order, he'd certainly wouldn't enjoy any time in front of the industry - the taunts, outright yelling in anger and humiliation would be all to look forward to at TPF, Expo or any other show.

#23623 6 years ago

Dude, you realize there are 100+ other jpop customer's who's money paid for YOUR mg to be completed, and don't get response from John in any way?

But hey, it's all about you I guess. Glad you are getting the great service.

#23624 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Dude, you realize there are 100+ other jpop customer's who's money paid for YOUR mg to be completed, and don't get response from John in any way?
But hey, it's all about you I guess. Glad you are getting the great service.

Not my money, I bought mine from an original owner/buyer who made enough to get his money back and buy a new Stern

#23625 6 years ago

Not my money, I bought mine from an original owner/buyer who made enough to get his money back and buy a new Stern

Well then I'm glad jpop is giving such great service to the secondary market. Maybe you can ask him to respond to his actual customers.

#23626 6 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

John burned everybody else, to deliver 19 incomplete games. My guess is silence is his only option at this point - nothing he says would change things and legally, his lawyer advice is don't talk or post in public about any thing you've done, past or present. Survival instincts should keep him from pinball events for the rest of his life. Even if he went, and didn't get approached by every stiffed RAZA/AIW order, he'd certainly wouldn't enjoy any time in front of the industry - the taunts, outright yelling in anger and humiliation would be all to look forward to at TPF, Expo or any other show.

Meh, we'd just take pictures of him as he walked by.

#23627 6 years ago

never not replies to my emails

Double negative.

#23629 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well then I'm glad jpop is giving such great service to the secondary market. Maybe you can ask him to respond to his actual customers.

Happy to
So you bought a mg or owed money

#23630 6 years ago

100's of us, lost about a million of our closets friends;
our Jackson's, Lincoln's, Washington's, Grant's & Franklin's

#23631 6 years ago

zidware.com suspended?
zidware.com_suspended (resized).jpgzidware.com_suspended (resized).jpg

google cache from 2 days ago still shows the HTML page, but the images are gone:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6UYgeIe2ZW0J:www.zidware.com/inventor/index.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I mean.. it's not down, it's suspended. That only happens if your website is using up huge amounts of bandwidth, your website caused a virus on the server, or you didn't pay your bill on time. I'm guessing it's the latter.

#23632 6 years ago

Interesting...

#23633 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

zidware.com suspended?

Wordpress Zombieland lives on... I think just to antagonize us.

#23634 6 years ago

Did some popadiuk googling, this came up on some website to complain about neighbors (he doesn't have complaints, maybe he should):

John A Popadiuk
Vice President - Caputo's New Farm Produce, Inc.

Michelle M Popadiuk
Vice President - Caputo's New Farm Produce, Inc.

Larry David Boyd
Myriad Inc - Management Consulting Services

A. I don't think they're both vice president, nor do they work for Caputo's
B. Are they renting out the basement now? Who's Larry?

#23635 6 years ago

If Andrew Heighway can operate Hydrofoil boats, JPop can be an executive of a Produce Farm. Or Produce Stand along Illinois Route 64.

#23636 6 years ago

VP dang that's impressive.

Wait husband and wife are both VP? OK now that makes sense she does the work he take the credit.

Ada boy johnny!!

#23637 6 years ago

Is John Popadiuk really working on Thunderbirds Pinball? Fact or Fiction?

#23638 6 years ago

I have to wonder if working for a grocery chain is some pinheads idea of a joke. Pretty funny though.

#23639 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

Is John Popadiuk really working on Thunderbirds Pinball? Fact or Fiction?

Fiction: this is an old rumor Mike/Homepin put to rest a while back. But he was coyly mysterious about who was helping.

#23640 6 years ago

Zidware.com domain is parked with no host to point to.. it's just a default godaddy page right now.

#23641 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

After watching John bumble around trying to make his own game, I think you hit the nail on the head here.
Trouble is John acted like he was an expert at everything.

Here's Ben showing John how to use a drill and my idea of How Jpop would fill his car with gas.

IMG_0010 (resized).JPGIMG_0010 (resized).JPGIMG_0011 (resized).JPGIMG_0011 (resized).JPG

#23642 6 years ago

Just saw this on the Pinball Paparazzi Facebook page, anyone know what it is?

20229055_881399335346901_8317183133128516659_n (resized).jpg20229055_881399335346901_8317183133128516659_n (resized).jpg20264742_881399342013567_2203753855574208209_n (resized).jpg20264742_881399342013567_2203753855574208209_n (resized).jpg

#23643 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Just saw this on the Pinball Paparazzi Facebook page, anyone know what it is?

More fake pinball.

#23644 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

anyone know what it is?

Yet another project he started among everything else that was going on. The story I remember is he was trying to create a lower cost pinball with basic scoring that he could code much faster since there was no DMD animation and could focus on very basic rules. Every concept John comes up with has one little interesting design, in this case a clear apron so the artwork could extend down further. Unfortunately it seems as though John gets bored with a project very quickly, and it's on to the next project before finishing the first one.

#23645 6 years ago

This thread should be retitled...
Never Ending Story: A Jpop Tale

#23646 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Unfortunately it seems as though John gets bored with a project very quickly, and it's on to the next project before finishing the first one.

addjohn (resized).jpgaddjohn (resized).jpg

#23647 6 years ago

LOL, his hat reminds me of this:

howdoyoudokids.gifhowdoyoudokids.gif

#23648 6 years ago

it's amazing.

#23649 6 years ago

So he's opening a grocery store now?

#23650 6 years ago

John on Spooky Pinball Podcast from December 2012. Quality stuff. Same bullshit five years ago as today. Only difference is the percentage of listeners who knew it.

Jpop part starts 87 minutes in

http://www.spookypinball.com/podcast/Spooky_Pinball_Podcast_33.mp3

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 473 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/473 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.