(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 447 of 490.
#22301 7 years ago
#22302 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

don't forget the promo video:

Which was one of the dumbest ideas ever thought of. No offense to Ben but come on.

What sense did that ever make? None. I guess it was John's way of trying to get Ben to work for free?

#22303 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

don't forget the promo video:
» YouTube video

IMG_6589 (resized).JPGIMG_6589 (resized).JPG

#22304 7 years ago

Saw someone ask about the manual incase their was issues in the future. So I thought I would just post a picture of every single page of the manual of the magic girl I just got. This way it is archived

IMG_6387 (resized).JPGIMG_6387 (resized).JPG

IMG_6389 (resized).JPGIMG_6389 (resized).JPG

IMG_6388 (resized).JPGIMG_6388 (resized).JPG

IMG_6390 (resized).JPGIMG_6390 (resized).JPG

IMG_6391 (resized).JPGIMG_6391 (resized).JPG

IMG_6392 (resized).JPGIMG_6392 (resized).JPG

IMG_6393 (resized).JPGIMG_6393 (resized).JPG

IMG_6394 (resized).JPGIMG_6394 (resized).JPG

#22305 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Saw someone ask about the manual incase their was issues in the future. So I thought I would just post a picture of every single page of the manual of the magic girl I just got. This way it is archived

Suddenly recent stern manuals seem positively verbose.

#22306 7 years ago

woof it aint exactly the WOZ manual, eh?

manual (resized).JPGmanual (resized).JPG

manual (2) (resized).JPGmanual (2) (resized).JPG

manual (3) (resized).JPGmanual (3) (resized).JPG

#22307 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Saw someone ask about the manual incase their was issues in the future. So I thought I would just post a picture of every single page of the manual of the magic girl I just got

Heyyyyy... that url doesn't work
http://www.zidware.com/setup

#22308 7 years ago

page 5 ... "QUALITY = HEAVY" haha.

#22309 7 years ago

Couple of other things.

The legs are not chrome plated, just steel legs.

Comes with a set of pincab leg protectors. Does anyone use these anymore. Not sure why he would even include them, it cheaper and better to get the stern metal standoff protectors.

You do get inner cab art for the game, but its not applied, guess he couldnt afford the extra man hours to apply them

Shooter lane has no groove, which is fun, because the ball is not always centered so you often have to plunge multiple times

THE GOOD:

Its pretty

and

well, thats about it

#22310 7 years ago

Dafuq?

1990s (resized).jpg1990s (resized).jpg

70s (resized).jpg70s (resized).jpg

Dude doesn't even know which DECADE he's stuck in.

And which part is like the 1970's? The hinged backbox? The LCD? Or were all backboxes supposed to be motorized and self-erecting by now?

#22311 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Couple of other things.
The legs are not chrome plated, just steal legs.
Comes with a set of pincab leg protectors. Does anyone use these anymore. Not sure why he would even include them, it cheaper and better to get the stern metal standoff protectors.
You do get inner cab art for the game, but its not applied, guess he couldnt afford the extra man hours to apply them
Shooter lane has no groove, which is fun, because the ball is not always centered so you often have to plunge multiple times
THE GOOD:
Its pretty
and
well, thats about it

Thanks for the report. Now tell us something Kaneda hasn't already said! You are very close to Jack Danger - Maybe he can come over and stream it?

#22312 7 years ago

Whoever got that Big Bang Bar collection for $20k has to be doing cartwheels. Never had much interest in that one but....

CCC is on my radar though, anybody have one they are looking to unload?

#22313 7 years ago

also, it says:

"Magic Girl has been well documented during the process of design, engineering and manufacturing. Online you will eventually be able to find all the reference drawings and schematics that are available for the game.This will serve as a more robust game manual and more, that can be easily updated and accessed digitally.

http://zidware.com/pinballsupport.html "

at which there is a link to some warranty info, and literally nothing else.

#22314 7 years ago

"higheast quality" - 16 grand for a pinball machine, folks. Looks like they didn't pay the proofreader either.

That WOZ manual looks nice. I like how it's spiral bound so you can lay it flat while working on things.

the /setup url gives me a 404.

#22315 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

So which part is like the 1970's?

The machine designer part, Timothy Leary.

tim (resized).jpgtim (resized).jpg

#22316 7 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

"higheast quality" - 16 grand for a pinball machine, folks. Looks like they didn't pay the proofreader either.

Nah, he's immolating Shakespear and inventing words. Creativity everywhere.

#22317 7 years ago

There are so many great artistic pins over the years.

From what i own, GB is gorgeous and my favorite art wise, of course Yeti did it. BM66 is phenomenal too.

My restored WH20 is absolutely beautiful.

So many Bally pins with great artwork.

And now Stern has made a huge commitment to great artwork. Dirty Donnie with Aerosmith on the heals of GB and Bm66. Can't wait to see what's in store for 2017

#22318 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Couple of other things.
The legs are not chrome plated, just steal legs.

Wow, I knew JPop was in desperate shape but shipping the game with stolen legs?

#22319 7 years ago

Would you rather have a Magic Girl pin... or a working Pinside account?

#22320 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Can't wait to see what's in store for 2017

Star Wars, Tron VE, Dialed In, and maybe Iron Maiden?

#22321 7 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Would you rather have a Magic Girl pin... or a working Pinside account?

The hard part would be acquiring MG. If you can get past that, then there should be nothing to stop you from having both... except yourself.

#22322 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Wait! Rob, you have Magic Girl?!
When will we see you build this thing back to complete?

I'm happy to help get this to where it needs to be anyway I can. Without the software though, anything else is pointless.

That's always been my number one concern from day one with John. His games aren't the deepest, none of them. Creating something with longevity seemed to me to be the biggest hurdle.

If applejuice can make progress on the code, I'm grateful, and will contribute any way I can.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#22323 7 years ago

If it's easy to e.g. add the missing magnet, then I'd be up to try this on mine. And Applejuice can use my machine to work on the code. It's definitely worth a try IMO

#22324 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The lower PF rotating was my idea. The flipper would stay put, and one of three "scenes" would rotate in. You'd have to clear them all to reach the reactor which you'd bash at. (Not sure if there would have been room to make it all fit)
There was also a window in the side of the cab that showed a glowing neon "reactor core" which was kind of a neat idea until you realize collectors pack these [pins] side-by-side like sardines. It served no purpose besides looking cool.
My pitch [that fit John's pre-existing ideas of a) Ben b) Zombies c) Theme park] was that you (the player) sneak into an abandoned theme park late one night to make out with your main squeeze. But then she's captured by "Evil Ben Heck" who has an army of zombies and he's going to transform her into their queen by midnight. You must battle [things] to get her back!
I don't think that plot was even considered. I mean just look how random the game became after I left.
John clearly just wanted to make an amusement park theme, but that's SO dated nowadays. I really pushed for "decrepit, decaying park" because I thought that would be much more visually interesting.

I still think your theme works and would be a cool game for what its worth. I love old decaying theme parks and the imagery. I have this picture as my dev machine background, which is an old japanese rollercoaster.

japanese rollercoaster (resized).jpgjapanese rollercoaster (resized).jpg

As for the raza game, the screen graphics and art i saw whilst working on it code wise was cool in my opinion and was still a fit to what you mention above.

3pinuplounge_bg (resized).png3pinuplounge_bg (resized).png4giftshop_bg (resized).png4giftshop_bg (resized).png5midway_bg_masked (resized).png5midway_bg_masked (resized).png

(I hope these screen images are ok to be shared and the artist does not mind, if not i can remove them)

#22325 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

If applejuice can make progress on the code, I'm grateful, and will contribute any way I can.

If i get my own game then we can see.

#22326 7 years ago

after watching the Special K video of him showing what is missing on code and or mechs.. i felt bad as a pinhead

and then he showed in the other video what is under the playfield.. it has a shit ton of stuff under the pf.. they even used all kinds of proprietary Pcbs for LEDs and everything.. this game has meant to be so good, and now it sits there ruined by unfinished code and mechanics..

it breaks my heart as a pinball fanatic to see such a gorgeous game so broken and incomplete. for the sake of pinball solely, i hope that MG gets some treatment for the love of pinball.. so many talent to be found right here on pinside. i mean who knows right.

this game is like a ferrari without its engine as it is right now. its beautifull to look at but impossible to drive as it is intended to be

#22329 7 years ago

I don't think it will sell at $20k

#22330 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Direct link.
ebay.com link » Magic Girl Pinball Machine
Bet it sells!

Thanks for the link. Yep, I bet it sells also. Is that one of the Coin Taker ones or did they already sell the one they listed the day it shipped?

#22331 7 years ago

Oh that's the starting price no bids yet

#22332 7 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I still think your theme works and would be a cool game for what its worth. I love old decaying theme parks and the imagery.

I absolutely agree. RAZA honestly would've been the game I'd have been most interested in. Look at Six Flags New Orleans. It was destroyed after hurricane Katrina, but due to lack of support, it has never been demolished. Everything there still stands pretty much as it was. A post apocalyptic theme park theme would be fun to put next to Comet, Cyclone, or Hurricane for sure.

Infrequent-diversion-abandoned-Six-Flags-New-Orleans (resized).jpgInfrequent-diversion-abandoned-Six-Flags-New-Orleans (resized).jpg
Six-Flags-New-Orleans-33 (resized).jpgSix-Flags-New-Orleans-33 (resized).jpg
poi_gallery_image-image-ef21d6c2-01c8-486a-8e3f-b61ed742bc6f (resized).jpgpoi_gallery_image-image-ef21d6c2-01c8-486a-8e3f-b61ed742bc6f (resized).jpg
Zone-of-Cool-no-more-at-abandoned-six-flags-New-Orleans (resized).jpgZone-of-Cool-no-more-at-abandoned-six-flags-New-Orleans (resized).jpg

#22333 7 years ago

I found post while looking for a Bernie Madoff self portrait and some Enron wallpaper to decorate my room.

#22334 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I absolutely agree. RAZA honestly would've been the game I'd have been most interested in. Look at Six Flags New Orleans. It was destroyed after hurricane Katrina, but due to lack of support, it has never been demolished. Everything there still stands pretty much as it was. A post apocalyptic theme park theme would be fun to put next to Comet, Cyclone, or Hurricane for sure.

RAZA/BHZA were really cool themes. Thanks for sharing the NOLA pics. What a great setting that would be for a zombie apocalypse.

#22335 7 years ago

Can't even get free shipping when spending $20,000?

#22336 7 years ago

Only if seller was in China

#22337 7 years ago

RAZA would have been cool on multiple levels. spinning multiple under playfield, but more importantly the coolest skillshot ever.. Skeeball

Skee_Ball[1] (resized).JPGSkee_Ball[1] (resized).JPG

#22338 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The lower PF rotating was my idea. The flipper would stay put, and one of three "scenes" would rotate in. You'd have to clear them all to reach the reactor which you'd bash at. (Not sure if there would have been room to make it all fit)
There was also a window in the side of the cab that showed a glowing neon "reactor core" which was kind of a neat idea until you realize collectors pack these [pins] side-by-side like sardines. It served no purpose besides looking cool.
My pitch [that fit John's pre-existing ideas of a) Ben b) Zombies c) Theme park] was that you (the player) sneak into an abandoned theme park late one night to make out with your main squeeze. But then she's captured by "Evil Ben Heck" who has an army of zombies and he's going to transform her into their queen by midnight. You must battle [things] to get her back!
I don't think that plot was even considered. I mean just look how random the game became after I left.
John clearly just wanted to make an amusement park theme, but that's SO dated nowadays. I really pushed for "decrepit, decaying park" because I thought that would be much more visually interesting.

Do you have any drawings of the lower playfield rotating idea you would share? Sounds so cool!

#22339 7 years ago

Yup Skee Ball skill shot was the plan.

Still think a JPOP Alice in Wonderland had the most potential, you can be creative with it while at the same time not have to explain the theme.

Gotta remember at WMS John would have had armies of engineers that could make his bar napkin scribbles a reality.

I thought about John the other day while struggling with main toy design for my new game. It's SO tempting to set it aside, take a break and do something else. It's also discouraging when so many days get sunk into a single mech.

But I have to remember "what would John do?" And then do the opposite.

#22340 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Lol, he can live on in infamy to inspire people, just not quite the way he wanted

#22341 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Do you have any drawings of the lower playfield rotating idea you would share?

He showed part of it on his ustream 4 years ago:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25967283

rotating_playfield (resized).jpgrotating_playfield (resized).jpg

rotating_playfield2 (resized).jpgrotating_playfield2 (resized).jpg

#22342 7 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

this game is like a ferrari without its engine as it is right now. its beautifull to look at but impossible to drive as it is intended to be

At least a ferrari without its engine is still a ferrari (a well engineered automobile, i would categorize this as a pontiac fiero/ kit car ferrari without an engine, pretty much an engineering mess.

#22343 7 years ago

Direct link.
Bet it sells!

at $20k starting bid? no, it won't sell. too soon.

#22344 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

at $20k starting bid? no, it won't sell.

The sad thing is, at $1,000,000 spent on delivering these 25 Magic Girls, since no RAZA or AIW customers will ever see a game, then it works out to $40k COST per machine.

#22345 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

... I thought about John the other day while struggling with main toy design for my new game. It's SO tempting to set it aside, take a break and do something else. It's also discouraging when so many days get sunk into a single mech.

So can we start guessing about this new main toy?

Here is what we know so far -
1) It is not a rehashed mech from TOM, CV, TOTAN or WCS
2) It is not colored purple
3) The material cost will not make the game cost more than a car
4) It will be done in a time frame than can be measured in months rather than years
5) It is not ink jet printed with someone else's artwork
6) Technical specs will be available
7) It is going to work

#22346 7 years ago

I really doubt these machines appreciate in the long run unless they get fixes to play correctly. I could be wrong though. I just don't see the value as a art piece at a 20k value. 20k was a tough sale for the BBB with all the extras (that is a great art piece and has a great backstory). BBB also plays correctly. That being said I believe there is enough hype for this game to sale at 20k to the eccentric collector right now.

#22347 7 years ago

Direct link.
Bet it sells!

That's Rob Berk's.

#22348 7 years ago

Doesn't EBay take 10% of what an item sales for?

#22349 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Still think a JPOP Alice in Wonderland had the most potential,

I had an interesting thought too today...what if it gets build?
I am not gonna send the amount due to the USA and receive a pin like Magic Girl?
Worthless code and stuff not even wired?
No way!
This is an old receipt,in the meantime i paid $2000 extra cause john sent me the golden payment coupon...
It just hit me?
I can't pay the rest and i can't get the bit of money back jpop owes me?
Even if it gets build i am f@cked?
So i can finally let go,no point in hanging on anymore?
I hope you step on a piece of lego JPop!!

IMG_3309 (resized).JPGIMG_3309 (resized).JPG

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#22350 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

at $20k starting bid? no, it won't sell. too soon.

Trying to dump it before everyone knows it's just a box of blinking lights with bolted-on flippers.

With the recent death of Bill Paxton (Game Over Man), I'd put my money on Bill Paxton pinball. It's much rarer, works 100%, and everything skyrockets in value posthumously.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 447 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/447 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.