(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

274 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rarehero. You are on page 1 of 2.
#66 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Heaven forbid pinheads get the chance to see some things that he is working on. I personally think that is the wrong approach to take now days but to each their own. TOTAN was the biggest reason I got addicted to pinball. I love Jpop's work and am not hating just don't care for all of the hiding going on with his newest works in progress.

Since you're a moderator, maybe you should close this thread as those who know anything about the project aren't allowed to say anything. Therefore nothing posted here will be an update & everything posted in this thread is off-topic which is a violation of Pinside rules. If someone does actually post on topic, they'll be violating Jpop's rules and subject to the wrath of his crack legal team. I'm only momentarily violating Pinside rules to point out that this thread is a trap for anyone posting anything about anything. Takin' one for the team, cuz I loves yous guys!

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe with total control now the rules will be better than Bally/Williams days?!

Who's programming?

That would be an update.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

What did iceman44 do to earn a thumbs down on every single post?

See previous RAZA thread. He started this thread due to being banished from the other one... and there are no actual updates in this thread. Thumbs down for being off-topic in his own thread.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Whatever, I don't care. Back to Jpop discussion, good bad and ugly. Not about me

It's all about you....you started it because you were banned from the other thread. There are no updates in this thread yet....just more insults.

When is Magic Girl shipping?

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm no longer "banned"…..move on pal……..get over yourself, nothing to see or report here for you, let it go
I know when MG is shipping but can't say because of you….

That's not very nice...holding back updates in the update thread that you started to share updates.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

only one guy that obviously has some kind of constant thumbs down hatred complex, I don't know?

I'll make you a deal. Post an actual update & remove all of the insults ...I will remove every thumbs-down.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No need to clutter up here, we get it

Irony. You started this thread and haven't discussed anything resembling an update. You should change the name to "JPOP excitement thread" or something....that would solve the issue of this now being a 3 page off-topic thread.

Quoted from iceman44:

At least this site has one garbage free thread in the Woz owners thread. What a breath of fresh air!

WOZ exists.

1 month later
#168 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

It never even occurred to me that it would take this long. I was thinking maybe 6 months after the payment schedule was completed (the original timeline) games would be shipping. That was 2 years ago...
Here we are 3 years later...

So now that it's 3 years later - does anyone know who's animating for the LCD, programming, doing the music/sound?

4 weeks later
#204 9 years ago
Quoted from cyber:

There are rumors that it's going to be more than 21 games.

How about just 1, to start?

1 week later
#241 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Wow, 21 people put $17k three years ago and he just increased it to 60 games!!!!
That sucks, still will be unobtainum but sucks for the initial 21

WAAAAH! Poor them! WAAAAH!

#250 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I know this is a big waiting game, but I also know that John is a perfectionist and keeps tweaking things that the average person would think is already awesome. On the bright side, I also think (not sure) that the code should be upgradeable easily, so refinements can be made after shipping.) Otherwise, it might *never* ship! )

Holy moly, 10 years later you finally get the game and the code's not done!?!? LOL

#256 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

60 Magic Girls ain't shit. Come on now.
JPop should produce far more than that. Even if there needed to be some exclusivity with this pin you could have that with 500 made. They should cost 12K with partial refunds of course to those that paid more. To the original buyers bitching about more games being produced they should definitely be rewarded with something special added on top of the rest of the machines, like a rare alternate translite and cabinet art.
Zombie Adventureland needs to get bumped up too. Make that a cool 1000 units.

We don't even know if this guy can build 1 completed unit and you want him to make 500 or 1000!?!?!

#264 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

We didn't know if Bill Gates could create Microsoft out of his garage after dropping out of college.
We didn't know that Steve Jobs would have created the highest value company in the history of the world after his previous failures.
I think Jpop can build whatever amount of pins he has in mind. Just saying.
Some people have vision, others don't…...

There's a difference between designing and building.

I have no doubt Jpop can design a game.

Can he build one? Then mass produce?

1 month later
#462 9 years ago

Jpop's been spending all your pre-order money on orange hair dye.

#474 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ditto, Thanks Frolic!! Sometimes it seems like John thinks all these delays are a non issue for the owners. Perfection can never be achieved (not even if your JPOP) sometimes compromises are made or nothing ever gets finished.

Jpop reminds me of animator Richard Williams. For those who don't know who he is, he's a master animator & started making his opus in the 60's - a movie called The Thief and the Cobbler. He'd noodle and noodle...animate scenes and throw them out...absolute perfectionist but no one to manage and guide the project. He worked on the movie for THIRTY YEARS!!!! He took a break to direct the animation for Roger Rabbit (which was beautiful AND done on schedule) After that achievement, Miramax agreed to fund & distribute Thief...but he STILL couldn't finish it - they eventually took the movie away from him, finished it & released it. There's a great documentary called "Persistence of Vision" about him & the movie. Here's one clip but there's tons of stuff about him on Youtube.

#654 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

No, I wish. But I'm just as disappointed as you all are. The white wood should have been shown at the expo at the very least.

Has he even MADE a whitewood? Not a foamcore playfield, or a playfield with various things mocked up on it....but a flippable whitewood? I'm guessing he hasn't, which means he doesn't even know how to properly design a pinball machine. He seems to be just obsessed with the art. Art is meaningless if you don't even know how your game is going to physically play!

#659 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

There is a WW for MG that showed sighs of lots plays, pf dimpling used rubbers
Three prototypes are near complete too

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yes there is also a RAZA whitewood

...but a FLIPPABLE whitewood? With all the ramps, mechs, toys, some rudimentary code?

#662 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Maybe you should have taken the tour

I would probably have been murdered on sight lol

...and maybe you can just answer my question.

#669 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Why???
Two years you've been a negative nancy for no good reason but to be a dick.

Looking at what's blowing up right now, I think it's clear that I was being a Logical Lancy! I saw the writing on the wall early on. If you can't answer a simple question - "is there a flippable whitewood?" - and instead take that time to call me a dick, then I'm just going to assume there isn't a flippable whitewood.

It was nice seeing you at Expo BTW

#696 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Are you guys sure he's out of money and needed to sell the extra 25 spots to raise cash? If you are then you do have cause to be concerned. I do think the first step is to collectively reach out to him and just find out what is the hold up...

Sometimes you gotta spend money to make money. Just imagine if he put RAZA & AIW aside for a moment...laserfocused on MG, the original project. Just. Finished. It. I have to imagine that would instantly boost confidence for current owners and possibly bring in new ones. Lack of a flippable game at this point is the ultimate roadblock - it's frustrating buyers and turning away new ones.

I know this is all in retrospect, but I wish Jpop would have collaborated with Spooky as a designer or art director for a project or two. Even if it wouldn't be a "true Jpop opus", you know you'd end up with a finished game with amazing art. Sell a couple of those to get yourself in a groove...THEN unleash the Jpop ultimate pin. It's clear that his B/W games were fantastic because he was collaborating with other people's strengths - management, engineering, art, programming, music. He is best suited matching his strengths with others.

#953 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I disagree with JPOP's take on the Lewbowski Effect or perhaps I don't fully understand his interpretation. To me the Lewbowski Effect in this context means, under promise and over deliver. Ain't nothing new but that's what Dutch Pinball showed me.
But whatever. I spoke with John and he is really motivated by all of this. The December reveal will be a pivotal moment.

To me the Lebowski effect is:

-Show a game and let people play it, that gets people more excited than pictures of art of empty cabinets. Showing a game and letting people play it will get you more customer confidence and pre-orders.

By creating the insular secret club cult bubble to "reward" pre-buyers, he made himself look bad & alienated the rest of the pinball community - and we are POSSIBLE buyers.

#957 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Let's get real here Greg. Nobody every stays "alienated".

Right, I'm just talking about the current moment in time & how it relates to Lebowski. Jpop created a bubble...even some of those in the bubble were getting antsy & wanted to sell their spots. If those in the bubble know very little...how would one expect anyone outside the bubble to pony up the dough for one of these things? That is the Lebowski effect. Transparency & showing a flippable game = chilled out pre-buyers & more sales.

#959 9 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

My comment still stands for anyone who thinks ajpop owes them any info if they aren't a customer. Right or wrong, it's the way he chooses to run his business.

That's fine, but you have to understand that he's not going to attract new customers that way (or people to "buy out" a pre-order when someone wants a refund.) That's "The Lebowski effect" vs. "the Jpop effect"

#966 9 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Sure. I understand that. I hope he does as well. I don't really care what anyone says here about his business. That's their opinion. What annoys me is people's sarcastic attitudes that John owes anyone outside his customers.

We're all potential customers.

#968 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Nah, he was fishing for it, hoping to get it. Lost the battle to Stern.

Do we know this for a fact? Stern doing Kiss is just a rumor at this point.

#981 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Jpop told me in person Stern came in half way through and scooped it on him. Its Gene Simmons...its all about the money not the art or game play!

Who knows...maybe Stern had already been trying to get it for years - after all, Stern music games ARE a thing.....maybe Kiss looked at these two pinball companies and said "one has a factory and just made thousands of Metallica & AC/DCs and the other one is just some guy who's made nothing"...

2 weeks later
#1107 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The only thing ur going to see is two more Christmas seasons go by before u get ur game

You're such an optimist!

1 week later
#1182 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The saddest thing about all this, is I'm so over it. There is no fun left.

I think a lot of us got that feeling for WOZ. I dropped out relatively early, too - I can't imagine what it was like for those still waiting for their games to the bitter end - especially LE buyers who saw Standars shipping first and the Ruby Red reveal. The only pre-orders I'm on right now are MMr and BOP 2.0, and those have had their delays...but at least I know they're right around the corner. European customers are getting their BOP 2.0s & I've played MMr and have seen it at Stern.

It'll be interesting to see Jpop's "Lebowski-esque" reveal...perhaps the true make it or break it point for you guys with money on his projects.

EDIT: I forgot I also have Lebowski pre-ordered....thanks Aurich for catching me in a senile moment lol

#1186 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

So a reveal of a working but not completed code mg in December will pump people up... Still a long way to go and a lot of money to build them... Plus raza will get shelved while he over sees mg builds... Raza is so down the road it's sad...

Well as far as I can tell, all he has is art and gadgets. If he can actually show that he's capable of a game that flips the ball...that would go a long way. Sure, the game's still probably 10 years from completion, but I think that would calm the secret club at least.

#1289 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I have found it odd how many people that don't have any money invested in this have so much pent up to say about it. If you aren't a buyer I just don't understand how you could have any more than a passing curiosity.

1.) We are all potential customers. I love CV, TOM, WCS'94, TOTAN....I'd love to see Jpop actually make new games. No f*cking way I'm going to give him a cent right now...but despite my skepticism, I want to see him succeed.

2.) We're all pinball friends here - we have empathy for those who do have money in on these games and don't want to see them lose their cash.

Quoted from roc-noc:

A lynch mob mentality here will only harm Jpop's progress

Please, don't blame the "victims". We're harming Jpop's progress? HAH! The burden of his business and how he runs it is solely on him. We didn't take anyone's money. We didn't say we're making 3 games. We didn't make promises and then break them. That's on him. Customers and potential customers have every right to critique the situation.

1 week later
#1400 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

What people don't want here is to pay the premium for a 17 game run and end up selling at a much higher game run price. Why do you think RAZA and MG were different prices? They won't have a BOM difference. They have a production run difference. That rarity is valued at something.

50 games is still rare as F. I don't think that number will devalue MG if it ever gets made.

#1403 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

50 is a lot more than 17 and will devalue it.

Doubt it. 50 for the entire planet is nothing. There are 200 BBBs that sold for $4500 NIB and are now sold for $30k NIB. MG will be fine. I'd be more concerned about it ever being built period than it's future profitability.

#1406 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

But in all seriousness people got on at 17k cause of the rarity and opportunity for a investment as well... That has to be part of their thinking on that purchase even if they don't admit it

Oh, absolutely - but I said this from day 1 - the economics of this project never made sense. The amount of R&D, time and money that go into a full commercial game is done so because that game is expected to then move 1000's of units. To put those efforts into a run of 17? Pure insanity. Even just 50 is pure insanity! ...but, it is what it is that this point.

#1416 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I'm sick of people still saying "if" these machines are produced.

Why? None have been produced. It's been years. So - it's a HUGE "if".

Quoted from Strange:

These games are coming and we need to give our full support to John so he can get Zidware situated properly and continue to do what he does for the next couple of decades at least.

"We" don't have to blindly give anyone support who takes money for 3 titles yet hasn't mass produced one pinball machine. Him getting Zidware situated properly is on him & his business plan. It's not up to "us". John only shares info privately...that's the business plan he chose. Therefore, it's perfectly fair game for anyone on the "outside" to call it as we see it.

Quoted from Strange:

He's the only person in the modern pinball environment that has my full trust of pumping out masterpieces.

You're the perfect guy to give him money then. Good luck!

Quoted from Strange:

I'm sure in creating a new pinball company the first game is always going to be the hardest, and we are still getting there~

A huge part of a pinball company is a realistic business plan & a factory. Jpop has neither. He's an artist/designer and has approached this project as such. So - until there's a public reveal and/or someone gets a finished, fully functioning Magic Girl - I will continue to say "if".

Quoted from kaneda:

But it's definitely coming out.

"Definitely" is a word you cannot use with this project. Purely speculation and crossed fingers.

#1418 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I believe Taylor Swift said it best when she said:
"'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate"

LOL...I love Pinside. Logic and a rational assessment of situations = "hater". Life and reality isn't as simplistic as a Taylor Swift song.

#1441 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I am very close...
Going to party in NY to play again. Its more about the pre order and wait thing. I just dont think I am that kind of guy.
Anything over 7k needs to be done and blowing my balls off or I think I will wait it out.

If it wasn't my dream theme I'd prob bail too, due to pre-order fatigue. I'm going to stick with it though, purely because it's Lebowski, I'm in on the original price, and I get the chrome & rug.

#1463 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's pretty quiet on the Jpop front which I think is a great sign!

Yeah? Maybe he's fled the country? lol

#1502 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

John didn't pay his invoices. How's that vague?

Yikes, these games are never getting built. Sorry guys...saw this coming years ago.

#1529 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John's been in the pinball industry over 30 yrs, what's your point?

He has? He was a designer at B/W in the 90s...not even 10 years.

Quoted from iceman44:

If it all goes to shit, you get credit for calling it first Greg, congrats!

I don't want to be congratulated...I want Jpop to make your games! However unless he bites the bullet and makes some major changes to his manufacturing plan, I fail to see how that's ever going to happen...just being realistic. The only way I think these will ever get made is if he "sells the designs" or subcontracts the build to someone like Stern, JJP, or even Spooky....someone who can actually "get it done". ...and then gives the option to mass produce & sell more than originally allotted to recoup the costs of these projects going overbudget and overdue. Yes, this would hurt his pride and piss off anyone who invested in the project....but - it might be the only way you see games built. Even with the financial situation aside - If Spooky's building 2 games a week with their small operation - imagine how long it'll take Jpop to build his games with his level of perfectionism. 2 games a month? Who knows...this shit's just gonna take forever if he can even afford to get the parts to build them. It'll hurt his pride, but he's gonna have to "sell out". If that happens - maybe the original buyers can still get something special and unique that makes their games more valuable. An extra feature, unique art, I dunno...something.

Anyway....good luck, guys.

#1540 9 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Wow! I just read through this. It would seem JPop would be wise to chime in here once in a while to clear the air of things and make his customers feel better about things. I truly hope it all works out for you and all and JPop.

He's too fragile. Plus, he's got the private blog for the customers.

#1574 9 years ago

It's taking so long, the patents are probably all public domain by now!

#1613 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I had heard of people sending in money for AIW, but I didn't realize that it was far enough along to have a development blog. I asked John three times to send me the AIW package so I could review it, but I never received it.

If John ever licenses a theme for a game, it should be "The Neverending Story".

#1620 9 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Noone in this forum has ever pissed me off but DO you ever shut your *mouth* dude?

Not sure what you're talking about...I have not taught your mom how to post on Pinside .

#1747 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

There lies your dilemma. Once the public sees the MG and RAZA artwork and finds out about the AIW preorder, I do see that list filling up quickly. That preorder is still not widely known, so there is a chance to get on the list right now. End of this month, I doubt there will be a chance.

Lets see if even 1 game gets finished before the end of the decade. This small run thing is absolutely unsustainable.

#1750 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Off topic, but what happened exactly with TBL?

U serious?

Check the thread.

#1809 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Let's say that MG turns out to be simply unbelievable and people are lining up to get one...
John's going to say "No"? Like he doesn't need more cash? At the very least, more cash could afford him to hire someone else to do some of the real work, while he does what he wants in "artistic inventor-world".

Cash, schmash...there's still no manufacturing plan. He can sell all the games he wants, but if he's building them with some guys and churning out 1 a week...this saga will still be all drama years from now.

#1936 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Freshie:

He is asking for money, for AIW. Got my package the other day requesting another 2g.

Jpop!!!

Just.
Make.
The.
F*cking.
Game.

No matter what you do, you'll always look back in retrospect and say "oh, I should have done this and that and the other thing"...but that's YOU, think of your BUYERS ...but I'm sure whatever the first version you dreamt up 3 years ago would have made all the buyers happy as clams. Just commit to what you've got and build it! No good can come of noodling around any longer. Get out of your head & have some empathy for your customers!

#1944 9 years ago

Watch this trailer and replace "Richard Williams" with "Jpop" and "animation" with "pinball"

#1947 9 years ago

Just some more awesome animation from Richard Williams unfinished "masterpiece" ...this is just scary sick stuff. We're clearly all art fans here if we're paying attention to Jpop, so I think you guys would appreciate it. Keep in mind this film started productionin 1964...all completely hand drawn, hand painted...there are techniques here that you'd swear were computer animated, but nope...all hand animated from the 60's thru the 80's!!! He worked on this thing for 25 years and never was able to finish it!!! It was eventually taken away from him and finished...turned it into a total piece of crap. Some of his fans have been "recobbling it" to its original vision for a while now.

#2141 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

DISCLAIMER: I have already written off the money I sent to Jpop for RAZA.
Out of principle alone, I'm pretty much done. Frankly, I'm wavering between two ends of the spectrum. On the one hand, drain this topic and forget about this "investment" for a couple years, only to come back in 2016 to see if things have progressed at all. Or saying F' it and round up people to "get our money back," whatever that means.

Dude don't give up like that...it's your fucking money - he's flaking on his end of the deal. You're entitled to your money back or some answers...end of story. NO ONE should be all "oh ho hum, I guess my money is gone" ...remember - the customer is always right!!!!

#2150 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Agreed, but at this point I would assume it would take litigation to get our money back. If that's the case, we might pay out almost as much as we have in to get whatever scraps Jpop has left. Even so, I feel like he's already cast us down, so why the hell not bring him down with us?

You're in IL...just fucking camp out on his front door till he gives you back what's yours

#2203 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Show of hands....who here is actually in on a MG?

You mean your fiancé ? That Magic Girl had quite a vanishing act! OHHH!!!

#2207 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I traded up Rare...

bd.jpg 26 KB

That's trading up? Ok. Lol.

Does your new girl know you're posting her pics on some nerdy forum for other guys to critique ? Kind of a superficial & douchey move. No one cares about who you're dating.

#2209 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Did you miss all of his posts stirring the pot? I simply called him out for being ultra negative and it's pointless causes even if the game did ship, he can't afford one. Am i wrong? If so, I'll apologize.

You are wrong. Aurich is the most level headed dude on the planet and is always constructive in his criticism. You don't know what's in his bank account and it's irrelevant to his assessment of the situation. "You can't afford it" is a 3rd graders logic. It's irrelevant and serves no purpose than to show your own superficiality. To you, only those with a certain bank balance can have an opinion? You really want to get into that kind of dick swinging contest around here ?

#2215 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

You see now's the part where I once again ask you to share a photo of you, who you're dating/shagging and then you do what you always do and run away.

Choosing not to engage with a lunatic is not running away. I'm not in a competition with you and I'm not going to stoop to your level of superficiality. Just as your stories and pictures about your personal life are irrelevant, so are mine. However you keep infesting Pinside with your douchebaggery, and as long as that continues I'll rag on you because it's fun...since you bring nothing to the table here, might as well use you for entertainment.

#2219 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Well then I look forward to having lots of fun with you. But without your photo, how will I hug you at Expo?

You're so lazy. I'm not gonna do your work for you.

#2401 9 years ago

That's for the big reveal, Adobe!

Stuff definitely looks cool and you can see the passion there...if this type of thing wasn't hidden over the years, buyers and non-buyers alike probably would chill out a bit.

Still don't see the economics working in favor of them getting built....but at least it's a pretty carrot to dangle!

#2557 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

~JPOP 4 LIFE~
... The Real Pinball Wizard...

Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain

2 weeks later
#2891 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Man I used to give other people like Rarehero so much crap for saying games get delivered by 2018 or 2020, whatever it was.

Hey, at least we'll be enjoying our Road Shows with ColorDMD soon!

#2927 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

There are going to be 2-5x as many MG's as Kingpins, and that value took many years to achieve. Is there a confirmed sale at $35k? Highest I've seen was closer to $30k.

I know a dude who spent like $60k on one. All it takes is one maniac.

#3044 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Who would have possibly imagined that three years later he still wouldn't have produced even a single game?

Me.

1 week later
#3564 9 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Wait, why is Godzilla on the PF??
Apologies in advance as I haven't read through the whole thread, but I didn't know that this turned into a sci-fi greatest hits with Godzilla, Robby the Robot and the Mars Attacks alien. They seem like expensive licenses to secure if the characters aren't even used in the title...

He changed Mars Attacks Alien's eyes to Deadpool's....so now it's an original creation!

1 week later
#3778 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

If you're an industry vet you can get away with unlicensed (Jpop, Pat Lawlor) or if you're unproven with a license you'll also do OK (Skit-B, Dutch)
It's kind of like dating. If you're tall and rich, you're golden. If you're one or the other you'll do OK. If you're neither... good luck!

I think unproven & unlicensed can work if all these elements come together:

1- Excellent art package (comparable to the favorite B/W games)
2- Excellent audio package (catchy music & experienced voice-over actors)
3- A really cool toy or feature that's compelling, unique, and looks fun to interact with
4- "Reasonable" price

IMO, AMH is missing 1 & 2, and WOOLY is missing 2,3 & 4. If a boutique can nail 1-4, I think they could have excellent sales of an original title.

#3780 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

AMH has really nice dots from what I have seen while playing and watching other play.

Dots are nice - I'm talking about playfield/cab/backglass. Amh is just OK in the art department. I believe it would have sold better if the art was better than OK.

#3796 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah I agreed with your post just wanted to give credit where due.

I'll give AMH tons of credit! It's a finished game made my a few dudes and it's shipping! It's fun to play, too! However for a customer to drop $6k+ on a game with a theme they have no nostalgia for, it's gotta be firing on another level that makes you go "WHOA!" All I'm saying is that I think original themes can sell well....they just have to have the "it" factor. JUST being original is not enough.

Quoted from frolic:

I'm not sure if AMH qualifies any longer as not a good seller. It is a "sleeper", with 5 month backlog and if the goal was 150 machines, it seems likely they'll get there before they are done.

If that's the goal, then it will be a success. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ben seems to be a bit bummed about the sales so far & thinks that being unlicensed was the main factor.

#3880 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm happy to get any blog update, but my first thought was.... "More empty cabinets!"
I'm haunted by how long other games have taken from seeing PLAYABLE prototypes to production (Predator, WOZ, TBL, MMR), knowing we've never seen a playable game.
Any guesses how long it will take from seeing a playable game to production?
Seems like we have a loooooong ways to go, despite today's update.

Whatever happened to "The Labowski (as Jpop likes to spell it) reveal"? Lebowski went over like gangbusters cuz it was playable. Why won't he show the games actually playing?

#3882 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

errrr.... cause there's not one ya' think.

That's prob the reason...but - if that's NOT the reason....time to show off so people know it's not just art and foam.

#3891 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Considering rules on his games are generally criticized for being shallow, that isn't good.

I think it's a vocal minority....all of his games are still desirable - if the gameplay wasn't fun and appealing, no one would want TOM, CV, TOTAN....but they still do! I love playing my TOM and CV - I have no problem with the rules at all. They compliment the design perfectly.

3 weeks later
#4142 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Look, you guys know how this is going to go.
At this point, it doesn't even matter.
RAZA isn't going to get a big reveal before the end of the month. Things are delayed, "artwork" is still being worked out, suppliers are behind, etc.
Accept it and hope there is a future.

Argh, don't buckle! Where's that "KICK DOWN HIS F*CKING DOOR" Iceman!?!?!?

None of you deserve this. You've paid a lot of money and DESERVE answers or a refund - PRONTO.

#4383 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Bottom line is I think he knows he's failing big time at communication but feels if he continues to put his efforts into making the best pinball machine he ever designed that people will forgive him.

Why can't he do both? I really don't understand this fear of communication that Jpop and SkitB have - it literally would take 10 minutes after the workday to sit down at the computer and type up "Hey guys, this is what's going on....blah blah blah"

Quoted from NYP:

I'm also convinced he's totally and completely irrational and paranoid when it comes to showing his master work with new designs and new innovations out of fear of 2 things. That people will steal his ideas, and that people will criticize his game in an unfinished state before they see the completed version.

Just design a game you believe in and built it. People paid for it. Just MAKE IT already. Stop worrying about the "evil forces". People may or may not steal the ideas, and because this is life - people will criticize it. Jpop needs to go to therapy to work out his issues - they are not conducive to this business venture or living a healthy adult life.

#4495 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Pinside is hardly a friendly place anymore.

#4666 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Can you imagine what WOZ would have looked like if JPop had designed it?

No, because it would have never been finished or released.

1 week later
#5049 9 years ago

EXPO 2015: THE RECKONING!

Seriously - if Jpop or SkitB show their faces at this one...shit could get UGLY.

#5075 9 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

I'm not taking your comment as dickish, so no worries there. In fact I would normally agree with you about this project failing except I, like others have said, felt this would be the project to succeed due to John's prior experience.

The problem is people not understanding the reality of his experience.

His best games were made as a designer with a full fledged support team, computer hardware, parts, musicians, programmers - and a full fledged manufacturing factory.

Without that infrastructure, he has never proven he was capable of making a pinball machine....post Williams he had Zizzle games and a shitty iPhone app. Plus, the economics of the project never made sense. He took advantage of pinheads throwing money around during "Rare Pinball Fever" (MM, MB, AFM, BBB, TronLE, ACDC BIBLE, etc) without any realistic manufacturing gameplan.

#5095 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well Greg, how did Ben and Charlie get it done?
In fact, Ben was part of the original game and team. Thanks for bailing out Ben!

I think they were generally more realistic in terms of their game - DMD, no plastic ramps, lots of stock parts, etc. Gave themselves deadlines & stuck to them. They had a flippable whitewood before they got to art. They didn't spend years on art. And...BEN! Ben not just a mad scientist in his head - he's incredibly productive and multi-talented....and he'd already built a few games on his own.

There are probably some more reasons they pulled it off- but those are the ones off the top of my head.

#5133 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

On the latest C2C podcast, there was a reference to John making mention about how beat up he gets on Pinside. Is that the way he sees it? That Pinside is just a bunch of internet haters beating up on him?

He's ultra sensitive and it will be his downfall. He's unable to step back and look at the reality of the situation he's created or have empathy for those who've trusted him.

#5155 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Wonder who's going to give jpop a job in the industry after this mess clears

They wouldn't give him one before the mess. I think he might be the only "B/W days" guy capable of and wanting to make pinball machines that hasn't worked for Stern, JJP, etc. Those guys know what's up. It's the same reason John K. hasn't had another animated show since Ren & Stimpy and Ripping Friends. Everybody loves his art and admires his talent - but everyone knows he's insane & can't work within a budget or schedule.

#5164 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Your probably right about the insane part but do you think Stern would let him build what he wants to build? All 4 of his W/B games were insane when it came to the artwork and even the layout. They were wanting in the rules and ToM was unfinished. What I have seen of the artwork and game layout of MG from this thread is fucking incredible. There is no way cheap ass Gary Stern would let him build it. But, maybe it is just because he is nuttier than a squirrel farm

Call Gary Stern "cheap" but he's successfully running a business and MAKING GAMES. He'd probably go out of business if he let Jpop do whatever he wanted. This isn't just arts n crafts for fun....it's commerce and manufacturing. How many games has Stern put out since MG was announced? 10?! I'd rather have 10 games I can actually PLAY than Jpop's loopy daydreams.

In any case, this has nothing to do with Stern. Jpop HAS the freedom to make the game he wants...but he's incapable without the infrastructure of an actual pinball business!

#5337 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I agree and just like Predator, Big Lewboski, or any future drama, the vast majority of noise and vitriol will come from those with nothing invested. It is the state of Pinside.
Proverb: "Empty barrels always make the most noise"

Even if we haven't ordered one of these games, we're ALL invested. When these things become shady and ultimately crash and burn like Predator, it causes a negative ripple effect throughout the whole hobby.

#5372 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

There was a hard lesson learned on Skit B, you can be sure people will be doing their due diligence on Jpop.

It seems as though plenty are trying their hardest -but keep hitting the brick wall known as John Popadiuk.

#5460 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I don't know. Based on some of the back and forth in the Predator thread, it seems like the obvious needs to be stated from time to time. Not that it will necessarily be heard...

It might not even be a money issue - if he doesn't have the hardware/software thing figured out yet - there's not much else he can do with MG & RAZA...so - he's working on the next one.

#5631 8 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

"bunch of folks?". I'm sorry, I find this funny. Is anybody really on his side at this point?

Buyers are in a bind. Honestly, they SHOULD post pics of everything here...at this point, why not. However, if Jpop cries about it, he might not release any more pictures. So - they're complying with his wishes.

#5788 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That can't be entirely true for every game. For example, there is no way WCS94 started off as a purely generic whitewood. It was clearly designed with soccer in mind from the outset.

Even if you don't have the theme first - you want a whitewood to flip first to makes sure it PLAYS well before you make/order plastics, parts, toys, ramps, etc.

#5878 8 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

only skimming this thread but there's no one left here actually arguing that jpop is ever going to release a real game, right?

PDXMonkey seems to be the only true believer left as far as I can tell.

#5925 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Thank you saying that and understanding.
If you're a Jpop customer and interested in joining the owners group please shoot me a private email. I'll need to verify your Zidware participation and then send you an invite. We have over 40 members now but it would seem not everyone is aware of our groups existence.
One person who does know about our group is Jpop and the significance behind it. Rome wasn't build in a day but shit is happening.

I hope it works out - but Jpop has to realize that his reputation amongst the pinball public is DECIMATED. He needs to do more than appease the private buyers at this point if he wants anyone to take him seriously and purchase his "products" in the future. In fact - forget about the future - right now there are owners who want refunds, but can't get them because no one else will buy the spot. He needs to fix his public reputation for the sake of his private buyers who want out!

#5956 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Pick up your Scoregasm Master in person at MGC - No shipping cost!

April fools day is over, brotha!

#5958 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Day One Pinball's Scoregasm Master is no joke. It's a legit pin-game that you can buy at MGC.

Can you blame me for thinking its an elaborate prank? I'll believe it after MGC.

#5976 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I've lost $4.75k on Predator, and $20k+ on MG and RAZA. I will never pre-order again! They go very quiet when you ask for a refund...
Shysters. Let's be blunt about what Kevin and John Popadiuk are. Prove me wrong, 'Jpop'. Pop goes the weasel indeed.

I know the private FB owners group is all private and whatnot...but has there been any shred of good news? I feel horrible for guys like this...so much money in limbo - it's probably taking years off people's lives stressing about it!!!

#6084 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm speculating here, but I thought that the GLM boards in question were the little LED PCBs? Those aren't particularly expensive per, we're not talking about big CPU boards. Unless I'm wrong, that was just the impression I got from comments on a photo.
That, plus the $7k to Cointaker are relatively tame amounts in the grand scheme, so by not paying them you just wonder if he's
a) broke
b) maliciously not paying
c) so incapable of basic business skills that he cannot even handle paying his vendors
Pick one, they all suck.

If I had to guess (cuz that's all I can do), I'm thinking maybe he needed the money to finish more things in order to get the remaining balances from the pre-orders, then he can afford to pay the vendors. Perhaps he thought this would have been done a while ago, and a slight delay wouldn't bother any of them. However, now we're years into it.....multiple burnt bridges and it's become a game of putting out fires.

#6139 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

And Stern wouldn't be interested in making such limited release games as the profit just isn't there.

Whoa Nellie, anyone? The Pin? Stern's been doing a lot of wacky stuff these days (MMr) ...if it keeps the factory busy, you never know - they could be down with it. As long as they get paid! So - someone besides Jpop would have to set up this type of deal.

#6141 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Stern would need to basically start over from scratch to build the game the "Stern" way. And what would be done for all the parts that were already ordered and to the vendors that haven't been paid? It's just too messy for Stern to get involved with..

Oh, yeah - you're right - I'm sure it would never happen...but I think Chuck's point is that even that unlikely Stern scenario is MORE likely to result in a game being built than the current situation.

#6203 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You could probably reasonably report it as a theft loss of personal property...but as I recall anyone who makes more than $170,000 would get zero deduction of the 17k game if reported that way. I would recommend each person check with their cpa.
Someone who is a rout operator would seem to be in the best position to deduct the loss here.

Does Jpop see any of this or realize his buyers are talking this way!?!? How can he remain silent?! He's either evil or insane. Jpop, if you're reading this - You must break your silence and address the situation! That is the ONLY thing that can fix this! If you stay quiet, your reputation is forever destroyed....and remember, YOU did it to yourself. No one else.

#6227 8 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

How many in this thread are actually buyers?
How many here would actually buy or be able to afford one of these games if/when they came out?
How would him addressing "Pinside", the digital court of pinball universal opinion do any good?

He should be addressing his buyers, first and foremost. The fact that they're looking into legal action is telling. As far as Pinside goes - this is the most popular pinball forum, no? The Internet is forever. Does Jpop want to be forever known as an evil douchelord who stole tons of money and flaked on delivering a game? If not, he's gotta come clean. His actions (inactions?) and silence is destroying him.

#6287 8 years ago

The moderator said:

Quoted from Roostking:

There are proper ways to get restitution like JUST ASKING.

Problem is - Jpop doesn't ANSWER his customers! I don't advocate threatening visits either - but if you had thousands of dollars wrapped up in this project and the guy can't be bothered to respond, what would you do!? If I was local I probably would try to confront him in person...not in a violent way...but just in a "WTF, talk to me!" way.

#6302 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

So you're saying you don't advocate threatening visits but you would if there's thousands of dollars on the line? But now you probably WILL visit him in a non-violent way?
wtf.
download.jpg
oxy.jpg
a.baa-OXYMORON.jpg

Let me clarify. I'm saying I sympathize with those who feel helpless and want to visit him for answers, as there seems to be no other way to get answers since John doesn't return calls or emails. I never condoned violence.

#6314 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I wonder if JPOP's wife knows he's effing hundreds of people out of thousands of dollars each?

She'd say "At least SOMEONE's getting F'd!"

Ooooooooh!

#6411 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm just going back to being the amused bystander now.

He's got your money...so you can't be a bystander. You're in it and have the right to talk about it!

#6414 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There's a new rule Greg, you have to clear everything through Kim first.

Jpop is tearing us all apart!!!!!!

#6416 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Btw, speaking of "intoxication", I will be there later tonight
I just arrived at the Master's for the tourney Sat and Sun, gonna have some fun while you guys try and figure out John.

"The Master's"? Who's the Master!?

You in some kind of cult, Ice!?

#6441 8 years ago

Oh, The Masters! Why didn't you say so...

#6710 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Worked for Stern.

Stern has a factory and a track record and an infrastructure and employees.

Jpop has none of these things.

#6744 8 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Cirqus Voltaire is the greatest pinball ever made. To me its the only obvious Masterpiece when it comes to pinball machines. I only see a Zidware pin having the potential to match it.

CV is a great game - I have one and enjoy it very much - but it was made by Bally/Williams where John was employed as a designer in the 90's.

He may still be a great designer - but how are these designs ever going to be completed & manufactured? Cheerleading his past designs isn't going to make that happen, Strange.

#6838 8 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

and what if the tooth fairy left a quarter under my pillow tonight?
i don't buy AT ALL any of the "too busy to respond" excuses that have been used in this thread (and the other bloodbath) for years now... that is simply laughable... "oh, i'm working SO hard i don't have time to respond to emails".... bull.... part of your job IS TO RESPOND TO EMAILS....
i am dead smack right in the middle of my busiest season of all (and yes, i AM a busy boy right now), but if i decided to not bother responding to my clients because i was "too busy", i would not have those clients for long...
and yes, it sounds silly to say i'm busy, yet have time to post on pinside... call it a mental health break throughout the day... and if i'm posting in this thread as a "mental health break", you can imagine what the rest of the day is like...

I emailed Barry at Dutch Pinball last nite, as I was curious about when we're going to see more updates - and I got a response almost right away! Just TALKING to your customers makes people feel so much more at ease. Every time I emailed Katie at Pinball Sales about my MMr - I got a response within the hour. Sure I wasn't happy about the delays, but I was happy that she responded to my concerns! (Oh, and my MMr shipped yesterday...huzzah!)

#6974 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

I think the best thing about my experience with JPOP is all the new people I have met in the process, not to mention all of us who have been brought closer through shared experiences. Glass half full!

I'm impressed by attitudes like yours....I'm not sure I could be so chill about it if I was part of this situation. I've met tons of amazing pin friends, but it didn't cost me $10k+ to do so.

#6994 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Aaron is all class, like Charlie, Ben, Andrew and even Aurich
John is not. He's taken a salary, lived off of our money while time just slipped away.
The lack of communication shows an utter disrespect for us, a total lack of character and self awareness
Pinball Jpop is finished it looks like. Nice legacy John, looks like you are following SkitB right out the back door

**Offensive post removed**

#7086 8 years ago

Wow. Blaming his customers and POTENTIAL customers for his own failures.

John, it's this simple:

COMMUNICATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you don't, conversations that you don't like will flourish.

You don't respond to your own customers! If you did that, and issued refunds for those requesting them...no one would be so pissed at you!

#7187 8 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I have been imploring him to publicly show and explain what he has done to date, with lots of pictures and video and audio. So far, he simply won't. It really is frustrating and a shame.

You seem to know him best....please, help us understand the psychology at work here....the big question - "WHY!?!?!" Why does he feel like silence and lack of communication is benefiting him? If there's a Pro and Con list for how he's going about things, what could possibly be in the Pro column? Forget about Pinside for a second...he clearly sees that his own buyers and supporters want communication and answers...they're clearly angry. What could possibly be his reason for continuing in the same manner?

#7299 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Does anyone know how much Jpop was asking for each of his new pins?

Yes, everybody knows.

#7305 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Are you able to let me know through PM?

Haha, I was just messing with you...if you search old threads the numbers aren't secret. I may be off by a few bucks but MG was $16,000 or so, and RAZA was $10,000 or so.

1 week later
#7655 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I played MG the last two days.
That wasn't a lie.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand? Use your words.

#7693 8 years ago

So, what's the point of PDX saying "I just played it" and nothing else? Haven't we learned that silence allows everyone else to fill in the blanks?

Does the silence mean it sucked? Or does it mean Jpop somehow convinced him to stay quiet. Either way - cockteasing like that doesn't accomplish anything.

#7878 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I 100% agree with the potential being there regarding AIW. Just time and time again when push has come to shove, unlicenced pins get the cold shoulder when it comes time for people to open their wallets. Heck even BHZA and whatever it morphed into lean heavily on "inspired by license" material.
Ben Heck, licensed brand (I realize no money probably changed hands). Then that did not work so lets just be "inspired" by Toho and Mars Attacks.
People complain they want unlicenced themes, just not any that appear to come up for sale apparently

Unlicensed themes are still themes, and people who want unlicensed themes expect them to be of B/W quality (AFM, MM, CV, etc)

In Spooky's case, the art & voice package did not live up to the standards set by B/W - so it is what it is.

In John's case, it was so limited that they got who they got and that was that. As time has gone on, the flake-factor has kicked in - so John could have designed the greatest unlicensed theme ever but who gives a flying F - as of right now he's squandered people's money & has no proof he'll be able to manufacture.

In Dutch's case - they have proven they can program a game and manufacture a product (BOP 2.0) & they have a cool license that they've done justice.

#7899 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

John and his "30 years of being in the pinball industry".

I'd still like to know what this "30 years" entails...if that was part of the premise, this whole project was started on a lie. According to IPDB his first game was a never produced title called Ice Castle in '89. We know he was at Bally/Williams from WCS to SWEp1. Even if you factor in Zizzle...where does 30 years come from? I know Jpop's not very good at math...but seems more like 10 years at most.

Quoted from RobT:

When did TBL go to $10k??

I guess if you factor in shipping and taxes, it edges toward that. I'm gonna forget those things exist and still say it's $8500

Quoted from Skins:

I don't think any are now but I'm quite sure there were some who hoped to catch lightning in a bottle (similarly as to how BBB appreciated) when they first jumped in way back when.

Yeah but BBB was $4500...the fact that it shot up took years (and sheer "luck"). Plus it was a game that was designed already & had many parts made. When you're starting at $17,000 & nothing about the game even exists beyond a title...that's waaay more of a gamble.

#7902 8 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I agree with that. No arguments there. I still believe a group justified the price tag by juxtaposing it to BBB.

Absolutely....that's why Jpop priced it so high...this project was announced when BBB prices were at what, $20k+? And Tron LE and BIBLE were up at like $13k.

#7926 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

?? Where does this come from ??
Take away the magnet tricks and Cameron's CV rules, and John is about as mediocre as pinball designers come. Five games, none of which are really recognized for their gameplay... rather about artwork and toys. Hell, John Borg runs rings around this guy, and I used to be the biggest Sega hater. Popadiuk is great for inventing gadgets, and maybe directing artwork, but that's about it IMHO. I've owned 4 of those 5 games and can't say I miss one. Well, maybe WCS a little. Game is just so happy.

Disagree - ToM, TOTAN, and CV's gameplay are fantastic. More than artwork and toys. Physically, they shoot beautifully. Smooth loops, interesting ramp designs. ToM is probably the fastest, smoothest, flowiest game out there. They have cool themes, great art, music and killer presentation. Some people seem to have issues with some of the rules (complaints I don't really understand)...but they're clearly the in the vocal minority. They're very satisfying games to shoot, and there's a reason they're in demand. If they truly played poorly, demand and satisfaction with those games would have waned already.

#7928 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

I agree as well. Love ToM (was my first pin!), TOTAN and CV. Never played WCS but always wanted to own one as I heard good things about the game. I know there's the side of pinball players who think JPOP's games are redundant or too easy, and then there's the collectors like us who love them game. I've come to terms that not everyone will fall in love with JPOP's games. I have and they'll never leave my collection.

Any game can be too easy....and every game has multiple physical & software settings to tweak it to your liking. I dunno, my ToM is set stock and I've never been able to to make it through all the modes in one game. I guess the main complaint with ToM is lack of wizard mode? *shrug* ...I wouldn't have seen it anyway lol. CV can be easy but it's still such a fun experience I don't mind getting to Join the Cirqus on a regular basis.

#7931 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's official then: there is a zero percent chance of me owning a NIB TBL.

Play it at my house.

I'm only paying this much because it's Lebowski. I suspect this may be my last NIB pinball purchase. Can't think of many other dream themes....and I won't pay this much for just any game.

#7939 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

TOM, and CV are amazing games, but they became boring much quicker than just about any modern Stern. I liked the look and feel of both of those games a lot more than most Sterns. I don't care if I'm the only one who thinks it, but rulesets trump all else in the long run.

I agree that some Stern rulesets have gone above and beyond...but above and beyond ANY B/W game. That being said, the "classic" 90's B/W games still offer a unique original experience that Stern's cannot offer...and if we're comparing Jpop's B/W games to other B/W games - I don't see how any of them can be considered to have worse gameplay or rules than their peers. They absolutely belong "in the club".

Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL! Yeah, riiiiiight.
When that Rush machine comes you'll be in line, oh yes, you'll be in line.

Yeah, you're right...but will anyone do Rush? I have my doubts. If someone does it, I hope it's Stern, as the price will be a bit lower & Lyman is a huge Rush fan and would do it justice.

#7943 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I'd say JM is the king of flow.
TOM flows well, TOTAN does to some degree but there's little to shoot at from the left flipper to maintain flow.
As for gameplay, it does kinda suck. The "vocal minority" are those who value gameplay above all else, and it's telling they have kept a near blanket ban on all non-WCS94 Popadiuk from tournaments. ToM has exploitable rules (left orbit), ToTAN is a trainwreck, although good for beginners. CV appears nice at first, until you realize you're only ever shooting half the playfield-- left orbit, ramp (and lock targets), and Ringmaster. SWep1... Williams' last game ever, sunset of the pinball titan, sells for just a smidgen over 2K, and it ain't all because of Jar Jar.
I'm not a random Popadiuk hater. I owned WCS94 for 14 years, Ep1 for 13, ToTAN for 3 and CV for 8. After playing those for so long, and comparing them to games like TZ and MM and STTNG (then), and Metallica, WOZ and STLE (now), they're amazingly boring. Blingy but boring.

The term "gameplay" is subjective. When you start bringing Tournament logic into things, almost ANY great game can "suck". There are a good chunk of players who don't even remotely think about the things Tournament players think about in terms of playing the game or deriving enjoyment from the game.

Obviously opinions on games are very subjective and everyone has different tastes - but let's be objective...you may have bored of ToM, TOTAN, and CV...but those games do have excellence beyond the superficial, and most would be happy to play/own them. I don't even remotely like TZ - I'd rather play any other game....but I respect what it brings to the table and understand why people like it.

SWEp1 does blow though...I'm with you there lol

#7952 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I think it comes down to software on his games. I really enjoy wcs. Cv is not as fun but still decent. Tom leaves me completely flat. Love the art. Love the music. Love the theme. The software lets me down. Totan falls short in lots of depts for me. Opinions are like credit cards...

I've never been able to figure out why anyone thinks TOM's software is bad. There are tons of modes, multiballs, hurry ups, gimmicks - there are always cool things going on and it's butter smooth to shoot. I can't think of one thing that puts it below other games of its era. I've heard "no wizard mode" and "tournament exploits". Is that it? What else am I missing? I just have fun every time I play it.

#8227 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

From FB: "John says time to replace these little ramp puppies with some serious plastic rampage.....on the way...!"
11060839_966373533407187_1973387271677356475_n.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Can he really think that admitting he doesn't have ramps done for the game after all these years is worth broadcasting?

And there's PDXmonkey...with his face right in the game....yet - SO SILENT.

#8272 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm just confused with how the $15k-$17k price tag is being justified? I already see what you get with a new JJP Ruby Red WOZ for $9k, a Stern LE at nearly $8k, and a MMR LE at $8k. Where in Magic Girl and RAZA is the other $5k-$8K in parts and features?

You're paying for rarity...for "limited print art". It's not about the BOM. With LEs, it's never about the BOM.

#8298 8 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Sorry to chime in and not be an owner (several times close and spoken with him personally) BUT I just don't see this being resolved until he actually is threatened with jail time or being sued for his personal assets... THEN.. he would turn over whatever worth/less assets he has for Stern to actually produce.. JPOP obviously just can't ever get his sh(# together to even come close to producing an actual game...
Artwork on MG does look great...as a concept... have Stern like a vulture seize the assets... push JPOP aside and finish the game with an experienced production/code team..I would be a buyer then..

He already approached Stern and they said "go away".

#8325 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sorry rarehero, dude is right. BBB was instantly worth over twice what it sold for. That was a gamble that lots of people wish they'd taken - but I was very wary of forking over $4500 back then on a pipe dream. Just not my style, then or now.

I mean that BBB sold for $4500 - took years to finally be completed and ship...then shot up. But even after the initial shoot up it kept climbing. Now it's what...$30k for a NIB? Holy moly...

#8397 8 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I am frineds with Jpop

With frineds like Jpop, who needs emenies!?!?

#8408 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The "rules" that require you to make all of 2 shots each to finish 4 of the jewel modes?
The "rules" surrounding the most basic main multiball ever in a WPC game?
The "rules" that let you play genie battle forever, scoring all the way?
The "rules" that make the left orbit only ever worth one award at a time?
Yea, great rules.... most system11 games outplay this turd turd.gif

These complaints sound logical, but at the end of the day - most people just have fun playing Tom/TOTAN/CV and these complaints don't enter their minds while playing. If the rules were truly obviously horrible, these games wouldn't hold their value or be desired. You're right - there is no reason to shoot the "SPIN" loop around the Ringmaster's head once you've collected it...but sometimes I do it by accident...bad aim to the Ringmaster's head results in a loop shot...and that loop shot still feels good and I like that it whips back at me for another shot. I've never thought of the rules being bad due to that shot having limited purpose.

I think some games have universally reviled rules....and some like these only bother a small segment of people. If these games aren't making everyone say "THEY SUUUUCK!", then these games are doing ~something~ right.

#8410 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Apples and oranges, I think. Metallik was talking about TOTAN, and you're talking about CV.

He and others have been saying TOTAN/TOM/CV are lacking in the code dept and become boring. I quoted the most recent post, but I was also commenting on an earlier point.

#8442 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You just described myself in 2002 (minus the topper), a couple years after I'd gotten TOTAN and back when I still enjoyed playing it. As you said, beautiful light show and great music. For some people, simple games are all they need. 12 years ago, that was good enough for me. Since then, I've found so many more, better-playing machines, that I don't see the point in just banging the ball around and shooting shots just to see them whip back at me, so to speak.

Well there ya go - keep in mind people have jumped into pinball at different times. If I was playing pinball in 2002, I'm sure I'd be bored of everything. I probably never played a TOTAN until 2009, and I've never owned one. I've had ToM for a few years, CV since '09 I think? Granted, I barely play CV anymore - so maybe I *am* bored of it lol...but, it still has a place in my collection. Presentation is a big part of code...and I really enjoy "the world" of TOM and CV. Of course the rules aren't crazy nuanced as Met or AC/DC - that's doesn't make them bad, though. I'll play Met and AC/DC when I wanna give my brain a workout...CV when I just want some simple fun. I'd rather play a slick simple game that knows what it is than a "deep" game like STLE that lacks a cohesive creative vision.

#8449 8 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Oops, I thought I clicked on the jpop update thread concerning mg, raza, aiw.

What are these games you speak of? I've never seen them!

#8456 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

New facebook post from JPOP:
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Yay! So who's coding it, who's building it, when do they ship?

#8499 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Lets not forget expo is five months away...

Holy moly time flies.....

#8708 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I argued a long time ago that anyone who pays for a pin before trying it isn't doing it right. This has been true for Stern for a long time. It's even more imperative for these startups who have never made a pin. It drives me crazy to see post "Kiss is going to be the best pin ever!" or "The Hobbit will be excellent!! I'm certain!!!!" But everyone keeps doing it. Oh well... People are free to do what they want but complaining about the game sucking or never getting your pin is a chance that everyone who supports this takes.

You're right - but sometimes a compelling theme or project puts on your optimism blinders. I bought Transformers and X-Men based on theme...look how those turned out. Sold them, moved on....but at least I HAD the shitty games so I could sell them!

#8742 8 years ago

Jpop's games don't use glass! He has a patent on a new invisible force field!

#9046 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Last I checked I didn't owe you a thing.
My offer is serious though.

You don't owe anyone....but look at the distress that Jpop is causing his customers & suppliers - if you know something and choose not to share info that would ease their fears and stress - you're choosing to be a dick.

#9049 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Fair enough angry mob.
I retract my offer.

...and the info you know that caused you to make that offer issssss.................

#9368 8 years ago

Hoooolllly shhiiiitt........Jpop, man....you are a vomit's vomit.

While this new deal just seems like a butt-covering scam....let me try to wrap my head around it.

Basically, RAZA and AIW are done. NO ONE will want to wait 4 more years and no one wants HALF-CREDIT toward MG "standard". They're hoping EVERY person with a deposit on these projects will convert to MG"LE". This deal is to strong-arm people into committing to the 199 MG's....money's gone, no refunds, so - no choice, hop on this great new deal!

It's a doozy...maybe Zombieyeti's instincts are right this time and these new guys are legit - however, how on earth could they present this deal and be SECRETIVE!?!? Secrets are what boned this project from the beginning. Whoever this new licensee is - they need to step forward, introduce themselves, layout their credentials and SPECIFICS as to how this thing is going to get finished. I don't believe anyone can stomach more faith at this point.

Aye-yai-yai! ...I don't envy you dudes with money in on this. If this new shit is legit, switching to MG might be the only way you'll get something for your money....but what a kick in the nuts having to trust some other mystery-man *AND* pay more *AND* wait more. Ugh....clusterfuck city.

My condolences and I hope this somehow works out.....but Jpop - you're over. He's so self unaware though, he'll probably still show up at pinball shows thinking people will be happy to see him.

#9382 8 years ago

This is now Jpop's theme song:

#9412 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Is the deal perfect? No.
Is there a better alternative? I'm all ears...

Thinking about it more....this deal BLOOOWS. The presentation of it blows. It's a strongarm tactic filled with secrets.

If this new investor is legit, here's the alternative:

1.) REVEAL YOURSELF. You can't look at this as "hey guys, I'm doing you a favor...shut up and take the deal". Tell us who you are, why you're doing this, what your credentials are, and SPECIFICS as to how this can play out.

2. Revise the deal...this strong-arm thing sucks. You're asking people to pay more for a game they didn't order and wait 2 more years. F*CK THAT.

Option A: All MG buyers get their MG LE. All RAZA buyers get the MG Classic for their RAZA PRICE. When everyone is made whole, sell MG Classics to your heart's content.

Option B: If you believe in this game so much that you're taking on this burden, truly put your money where your mouth is. REFUND EVERYBODY. Start from scratch. Finish & build the game - then sell it, forget about editions....just sell it. If everyone has refunds, it's like it never happened, there will be less animosity toward the project - and new people will be more likely to want to buy it.

I believe these options are the only way to make this right. The current solution is toxic and will leave people who are scared and hurt in the same position - scared and hurt.

#9414 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Pinchili nailed it!!! If you sign that agreement you are a sucker!!!

I think all owners should band together and vow not to sign it ....make the investor come out in public and revise the deal.

I'm sure a few people will be scared and sign it, though...

#9459 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

BS. He's not an idiot either.
I wouldn't do it. I hope he tells everybody to F themselves
Don't like it? You don't get shit and we move on
I swear I don't know wtf is wrong with some of you people
You also have the option to go away and not do anything
Nobody likes John and he's a POS for doing what he did.
That doesn't change the reality of the situation. Deal with it

You don't see how this is F'd up for everyone outside the Jpop-bubble's POV?

-Mystery investor saving the day
-Sign in 4 days, take the deal & promise not to sue or GET NOTHING
-Change your RAZA order to MGLE & pay more
-Want RAZA? Wait 4 years.

This is a horrible deal. If someone is saving this project "for the love of pinball", this is not the way to do it.

#9464 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The Investor would be dumber than John to assume the liabilities. Based on the reception here there won't be 199 to sell so it might be over anyhow before it starts

Dude, as toxic as this is? Is there ANY reality to people buying 199 $16,000 pinball machines!?!??!?! Are you F'ing mad!?!? The ONLY way this works is if EVERY RAZA buyer switches over (125?) + 16 MG buyers...that's 141...you really think 58 MORE people are gonna sign on? ...and that's assuming all the RAZA's switch over. This deal is stupid. It's unrealistic. It's insulting.

MYSTERY INVESTOR: SHOW YOURSELF...and fix the deal....FOR THE LOVE OF PINBALL.

#9487 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You might think differently if it was your 1 million that was at risk

If you have a million at risk, why do it THIS way? It just doesn't make any sense to jump into this thing alienating people and pissing off everyone.

Personally, I think my options were more reasonable for the risk taking investor.

Once again:

A.) Refund everyone, make the game you believe in, sell it. Clean slate, all forgiven, if the game is awesome (it must be if he's taking this on), it will sell.

B.) Automatically transfer all RAZAs to MG without any extra cost or 50c on the $ bullshit. It may not make everyone happy but that type of goodwill can go a long way in this situation.

Oh, and NO MORE F*CKING SECRETS!

#9540 8 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Even if the mystery new guy is capable, he still has to work with the other guy that isn't. That is the part that is going through most people's minds right now. If all the rights were just given to someone else and the mad professor was kicked out of the lab, a lot of people might hang around just because there was someone else in there that wasn't going to blow the place up.

I get the feeling that this "consultant" thing is in name only. No WAY Jpop will get paid further - I think he just wants to help his babies get born....but he probably won't have any "rights" from now on to ask for more art changes, revisions, etc....but he'll answer questions and whatnot.

#9584 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I know who the new guy is and it's not my place to "out" him. He can step forward when he wants.

That fact that anyone would still keep Jpop's secrets baffles me. F the guy, out him! The only chance of this thing ever getting back on the rails is NO MORE SECRETS!!!

#9603 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Some of you people should be ashamed of yourselves. Since when did it become a bad thing to come in and offer to bail out an idiot like John so we all have a chance at getting our pins.

It's not...it's the way the deal was presented that was horrible!!!

Quoted from iceman44:

What i know for a FACT, that you guys will soon know for a FACT, over the weekend is that this group is real and legit and I suspect that more time and explanation will be forthcoming.

You know this...but NO ONE ELSE DOES! You cannot get angry at people not knowing what you know!

Quoted from iceman44:

He is a great guy and asset to pinball now in a big way and doesn't deserve the BS some of you are slinging his way.

NO ONE KNOWS WHO HE IS!!!! All people know is:
-They can't get refunds
-They have to wait 4 years for RAZA or take 50c on the dollar for MG

Stop treating people like they're ungrateful fucks for not knowing what you know. TELL THEM WHAT YOU KNOW! Maybe they'll come around.

Quoted from iceman44:

Let the FACTS come out, there is much more to come. I'm sure most of the people involved will be very happy with the situation.

Tell us some facts, brotha instead of shitting on people while they're down.

#9624 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlynx:

My completely unfounded guess at who the mystery investor is.... Roger Sharpe.
I can think of no other name that might give anyone who knew even the tiniest shred of confidence that any of the Zidware games will get produced.

Roger's a licensing guy....not a millionaire with money to blow on this thing, or the ability to manufacture.

#9654 8 years ago

Thread needs more Wesley Willis. This one goes out to you, Jplop!

#9767 8 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

After catching up with this thread I am surprised no one has trademarked JPoop...

Or Jplop or Jflop

#9867 8 years ago
Quoted from Jokercyclone:

I can totally understand being soured by this. The sad part is if it does sour you on pinball on a whole.

Getting scammed this big by your hobby can sour it! I was talking to a friend the other day - a pinball retailer actually - and he was shit-talking Lebowski, saying stuff like "there are copyright issues" and "I know a bunch of people getting out cuz I hear it might not happen". IMO he was just regurgitating morphed rumors from the Philgate days...but I told him - If I were to lose my money that's in on Lebowski, I'm out - I'm never buying another fucking pinball machine ever again. His eyes got wide with terror...probably realized I'm not the only one who'd say "fuck you" to pinball if I ever lost a large sum of money on one of these pre-order deals. Anyway - I still have confidence in Dutch and Lebowski - but just hearing death-knell rumors after Shit-Mask's scam and (at the time inevitable) Jflop scam stresses me out.

Quoted from Cheeks:

I don't even want to look at the ToTAN or CV that I own. I have half a mind to burn them in the Zidware parking lot to show John what I really think of him

I'm not even IN on this scam but I was talking to someone yesterday about what a shit head Jpop is wanting to just burn my TOM and CV lol....ugh. I mean, not really though, I played my TOM this morning. But seriously, F Jpop.

#9905 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Gm
What are we gonna call the next flop? The Big Le BLOW ski
After all of the evidence as to how "hard" pinball is I don't know why you would have so much confidence in TBL. I hope it works out for you guys because I'd like one too. Afterwards.
Yeah, all this BS has me one foot out the door. My Woz is going up for sale first

Here's why I have confidence.

-I've played it.
-They've proven they can build it.
-No secrets. They've brought multiple protos to many shows around the world
-They've got Roger Sharpe onboard
-They've already shipped a product & are supporting it. I installed a new BOP 2.0 update this morning.
-They communicate. Decent amount of newsletter emails and Barry will respond to my questions almost instantly.

#9908 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ok Greg, I get the glass is half full argument. It's not all rosy, but like I said, I hope it works out.

Sure, it could all go to shit. But my "faith" is based on concrete tangible evidence coupled with transparency. That's more than Shit-Mask & Jplop ever gave their buyers.

#9944 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Heck, even Rarehero stating he will sell out if TBL goes south? This from the guy who always is (was?) saying how he does not care if games go down, because he bought many of them for so damn cheap back in the day?

Hold on now - I didn't say I'd sell out. I said I wouldn't buy any more NEW games. Honestly, I'm sorta there anyway - as I won't buy new Sterns at launch anymore & have no interest in the Hobbit. I'll still be happy with my cheapo games of yesteryear. However, if TBL got boned somehow...I'm just done with new games forever. All companies making new pinball will lose me as a customer....sorry.

#9973 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

He didn't. That's what I'm saying. It's like that Penn and Teller routine. Look over there (I'm broke) while slight of hand he's putting money in his accounts or cash on hand. (John: "I don't keep proper recoded so I have no idea just take my word for it the money is gone").

Bingo - what if most of it is still in an account? Besides all the bridges he burnt with programmers, vendors, artists, etc....what if he just realized he didn't have the ability to manufacture, and is just too burnt out to continue & build them all himself for another 4 or 5 years? He wasn't paying anyone - so besides rent, some machinery and living expenses....could it REALLY all be gone?

Jplops needs to be held fully accountable for what he did with the funds....full transparency. He's not getting out of this THAT easy. He's probably pulling shenanigans on the new guy! I hope he's demanding real answers....

#10302 8 years ago

Bill, without having a manufacturer yet, people are going to be skeptical & still afraid of losing their money. There's no guarantee you'll be able to find someone to finish and build these things. You're just not going to get all the buyers on board....especially with this big question looming: "Where's the f*cking money?" (To quote The Big Lebowski). If you're going to make this work, you have to find out what John did with the money. If you don't, he gets off and has scammed everyone. If you truly plan to finish this project, that's noble - but IMO a better plan would be to refund everyone first. Make everyone whole. John's gotta still have some of the money - get it back to buyers. Whatever he doesn't have, pay them back yourself as part of the "Zidware buyout." No one will be mad or sue at this point. Everyone's happy, John is out, you have a game you beleive in - get the plans in place to finish and manufacture ....offer it for sale. If you truly believe this game is so amazing and worth saving, this seems to be the route to go.

#10405 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

lol
There are no assets. Get it?

How do we know this? Jpop certainly didn't have the ability or connections to finish the game...and maybe didn't have enough cash to build the games, but that doesn't mean all the cash was spent. Where's the money? How was it spent? How much is left? For him to just walk away and keep what doesn't belong to him is the first big problem with this new proposal.

#10438 8 years ago

Why do you keep calling them this? lol

#10442 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sorry Razor, this isn't common and John has terrible records based on all the evidence

So because of John's terrible records, on top of all his other ineptitude, he doesn't have ANY CONCEQUENCES for his actions!? He just gets a pat on the head and gets to go on his merry way? Please. I'm not even talking about revenge and lawsuits....I'm simply talking about him returning what isn't his. We'll never know if he blew all the money or not unless someone goes through the records and makes sense of it. If it's gone because he spent it all on equipment, parts and rent - that's one thing...but if it all went to "salary"? ...that means it's sitting in a savings account somewhere. That money is not his to keep. Since Bill said Zidwares financials aren't their concern, that makes me think Pintasia has NOT sorted through the mess...which just makes this seem like a pipe dream and/or stalling tactic.

There needs to be full transparency of what Jpop did all these years with the money. I think only then will trust be gained.

#10505 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Ok, I spoke with Bill. We had a good chat. I am not agreeing to anything, or signing anything. I will weigh all options. John still owes me my money or a machine and I will take whatever action I feel about it.
Having said that... I told him we NEED John publicly shamed. If he doesn't want us to sue to destroy him, out of pure spite, which is what I'm feeling, then this is what I want:
John should NOT be allowed to stand beside Magic Girl at this NW show. He should not be given an hour to talk about. He should be denied his "lebowski" moment.
I want my "pound of flesh" and I know this will hurt John in the best way possible. He gets zero time standing there hearing people oooh and awww over the game.
He has lost that privilege. He's freaking lucky he's being spared the shame of bankruptcy by Bill's deal (if it works out).
Bill seems to think he needs John to demo the game and talk about it. I think that can be done by many capable people. And if the game can't be demoed properly without an "expert" standing there, then the game is probably in big trouble anyways.
I feel very strongly that if I see John standing beside that machine will set me over the edge. There needs to be a bit of theater demonstrating in a very visible way that John has lost his baby and is paying penance for his years of lies and deceit.

#10785 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

* Everybody is accusing JPop of malicious fraud and throwing a lot of derogatory comments around. I'm curious if the issue is centered around him really intentionally lying or simply being a really horrible, naive businessperson?

Both. He's been lying to his vendors...clearly they thought they were getting paid, but he wouldn't pay up. He's been lying to the buyers..."It's almost done, it's just about here, big reveal coming soon"...nothing. The fact that he was still trying to take money a few weeks ago while ignoring almost everyone else - that says it all. John has a problem with what he perceives as "being annoyed" - completely forgetting that these people are his vendors and customers. He has no empathy or any ability to see around his own childlike emotions.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

Was it "graphic designer gets in way over his head?" Is he some kind of pathological liar who has delusions of grandeur?

Pretty much. Happens all the time - dreamy artist types often live in a reality bubble of their own creation and lack big picture perspective and business sense. In animation, John Kricfalusi (creator of Ren & Stimpy) is a good example...many artists worship him for not only his artwork, but his blunt attitude about artists vs. executives. I love Ren & Stimpy, and he's a great artist....but he CANNOT make a show on budget or on time. It's the reason the show got taken from him in the first place, and every time he's attempted a project since - same thing happens. He wants complete control, no one telling him what to do, how to do it, or when to finish it...and every project ends in failure. The only reason he gets ANYTHING done is due to young inexperienced sycophants working day & night to help him until they burn out. "True Believers" helping out until they just can't take it any longer...sound familiar? Time after time, shit falls apart - but he's the victim...he's the one smarter and better than everyone - they just don't understand him. Rinse, repeat.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

Ben Heck, what's the story with you? Y'all were collaborating. Now you're not. Obviously something happened. Did you see the writing on this wall awhile back and cut your losses? I know hindsight is 20/20 but do you think there may have been something you could have said or done to help the situation?

Ben has posted about the fall out many times - including 4 hrs ago:

Quoted from benheck:

Thought that was common knowledge. John didn't like me helping Chuck with a "competing" zombie game and told me to make a choice.
Ironically Johns game is now a bunch of aliens and clowns and Chucks game has been rethemed towards horror.
And yes, John has no business sense whatsoever. The guy makes his customers sign NDAs to buy a game featuring Ben Heck with whom he doesn't have a contract or legal agreement for compensation for use of likeness.

b49eeba0b7ea5a0f63eb4f9cfaf43439877766abc16b4fe9edc2ff2e08abc1e9.jpg

#10802 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I'm guessing you working 14 hour days 7 days a week is simply not true.

Dudes, come on - it *is* a holiday. Jplop wouldn't want to get chewed out from Zidware Union Rep Jplop.

#10819 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Wow.. I had no idea it was that bad... been taking a lot of time trying to catch up in this huge trainwreck of a thread.
My nature is to not immediately believe someone can be so ridiculously self-absorbed and sociopathic as to continually lie and take peoples' money. It just makes my skin crawl so I don't want to believe it, but it looks like there's ample evidence. I haven't had any personal dealings with him except awhile back I talked with him about a project and as soon as I mentioned there was no up front money until something was underway, he didn't even bother replying. I guess that's no surprise.

You got off lucky by being ignored. You must have "annoyed" him....I know this thread is HUUUUGE but it's all in here if you care to read about it - vendors, programmers, the artist - all have come out and told stories about how they haven't been paid for competed work and when they try to talk to John about it, he ignores them or brushes them off. Any time there is even a hit of question or criticism, John seems to shut down - he becomes the victim....people are annoying him, taking to take him down, don't understand that he's working 24/7, causing "great harm" as he put it. He is either nefarious or mentally ill. My guess is the latter.

#11104 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

It seems to me like Bill might have just bought himself a one of a kind pin.

Well if he gets that MG out of John's studio - what's stopping him from holding it hostage indefinitely?

#11124 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what we basically know about the situation is something like this?
* Zidware took money from at least 17 people and hasn't produced anything and has stated they have no intention of refunding anybody

Good summary - but it's way more than 17 people. That covers the original Magic Girl buyers. There are 125 paid in on RAZA, and who knows how many more on AIW (amazed ANYONE sent money for game #3 when #1 & #2 weren't complete). I think Bill's new proposal of 199 MGLE's assumes people in on the other 2 games will want to switch over...but at $16k (and not being the game they ordered), this seems unlikely.

#11129 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Seems like the right way to do this is for someone to:
- Step in, and buy Zidware's assets outright
- Pay off the vendors owed
- Refund all the preorders
- Finish MG
- Build it and sell it.
Who's up for that?

Quoted from lowepg:

All that's missing from your equation is a $ followed by several commas

This is going to cost Bill a shitload of money whether he does it with his proposal or one like this. If he truly believes this game is worth the hype, he'd do it this way, IMO. Start clean, let everyone breathe a sigh of relief, wow everyone, sell it.

They're not gonna get 199 sales of a $16k game...but could they get 500 sales of a $8k game? ...and could goodwill from a successful MG project lead into sales of RAZA/AIW?

Then again, I dunno if Bill truly wants to spend years of his life on more titles....making 1 happen is going to be difficult enough.

#11259 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
http://issuu.com/jackgtruth/docs/jjp_lawsuit
With Skit-B and JPop/Zidware going down in flames so close together, the last thing this hobby needs is for JJP to be next.
Damn this hobby has more drama than any I've been involved in!

The hobby will be fine if all the new game makers fold. It's a shame for those who eat/live/breathe pinball as a livelihood if these things keep crashing and burning.

#11266 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The hobby may be "fine" if they all fold, but I'd personally much rather have as many options as possible.

Legit options sure....but if the options are Shit-B, Zitware and (if Elaut's allegations are true) JJP , are those options we want? Options take your money and give you nothing?

#11281 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

We need someone to ramp up real production. Not this trickle of one-off game stuff. Someone to compete with Gary straight up. I just don't see it happening. Not unless one of the game companies with huge pockets decides that there is profit in pinball now.

Yeah, there's a reason Gary said "Come on in, the water's cold" and "I don't run a game business, I run a manufacturing business" ...this is NOT a business for dreamers and artists - it's a business that can HIRE dreamers and artists, but has to keep them to a budget and schedule. Let's say Jack or Heighway do manage to ramp up and keep a factory churning like Stern - can they successfully sell all of that product? Gary also said something like "if anyone did start a new pinball company they'd kill us all off." Honestly I think Stern's pretty safe at this point, but the other guys will probably end up cannibalizing each other.

#11295 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Agreed.
I think a lot of people today have the notion that all it takes to start a business is a great idea and customers, the rest will follow. Real work is only about 10% fun stuff, and 90% grunt work that nobody wants to do.
It's really sad to think that if JPop had put in the effort, he might have been successful, but he spent so much time doing the 10% over and over again for different games he never did any of the 90%.

One of my local pinbuddies tried a few times to talk me into making a game with him...and I'm like "no way"...he's like "why not!? We have better ideas and can create better art than any of these guys!" ...and I'm like "maybe...but I don't know how to build a f*cking game! I don't know how to cut wood. I don't know how to create or program electronics.....just because I can draw, dream up stuff, and repair my own games does not mean I can mass produce them". He was like "we can find guys to do all that other stuff"....I was just like "Noooooooooo". He was kinda bummed out but I live firmly in reality.

#11303 8 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Like OMG!!!
Just messing with ya RH.

Hahaha...when I read it back I thought "I wrote this like a valley girl"....but I still felt it was the best way to convey that I was paraphrasing a conversation.

#11472 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Quick question:After MG is shown at NW where does this prototype go?
Where will it reside?

Bill & PDXMonkey play a game of MG against each other...winner keeps it.

#11493 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

And let's not forget.... this is a game that still has a $16k price tag on it.

...and a plan that expects all RAZA and AIW buyers to fork over more money to get in on the $16k game they didn't order. I still don't see how the these people are going to get any satisfaction from hanging in with Pintasia's plan....that's 100+ people out of a huge sum of money, and they're not going to let Jplop get away with it.

#11576 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Well, if john had been upfront with me about what he needed to get the first game done and only worked on that 1 game solidly, I would have done everything I could to make it work, even maybe sold more of my own games to assist. That's how much I wanted this to work. I would have repayed trust and integrity.

Did he pay you AT ALL?

That's one lesson from all of this. NEVER WORK FOR FREE.

I work in animation and I see this all the time. Charismatic producers asking for free (or underpaid) work...."This is your foot in the door!" "When this project gets picked up, you're the first one hired!".

BULL. SHIT.

If you have a skill, you've worked hard to hone that skill. It's not just some cute thing you do for fun. It's your livelihood. ALWAYS get paid (and paid fairly) for your work...or walk away.

#11676 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Frankly I wonder how many of them actually have a "horse in this race"

It's been said already but it's worth repeating. We all do. I may not have money on this game, but I have friends who do. It hurts me to see them hurt/stressed/taken advantage of. It sours the hobby for all of us.

#11679 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Oh that kiss machine right. So how does one get funding for that?
Personal salary funds? Or was it was something to keep the company going? More business? So corporate funds?
No license so that is that just to show off his talents? Or made as a fan favorite?
That likely took some time effort and funds.
But that would not be considered mismanagement of funds??

There was no funding. In another bone-head move, Jpop made this game thinking it could get him the Kiss license. Total waste of time and money.

#11730 8 years ago

Thanks Applejuice! There you go - the playable whitewood no one new existed because no one was "allowed to talk". Absolutely baffling why John didn't bring this to Expo '13 or '14.

#11783 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

But, Greg, honestly, you don't have a decision to make about the current deal on the table - we all have an interest in things ending well for people we know that do have $ at risk, and go well for all of us as a whole, because it sucks to have a hobby be a thorn in your side, it should be fund, so it does hurt, emotionally. Posts over and over saying the same thing just adds to the downer side of that dead horse. Lets bury the horse instead of standing in a circle around the horse saying what a shame that horse died. Lets move on so that we can stop wasting time on the past.

Yes, I have no money in on this, but I have an opinion...and being outside the bubble, it's rational & objective. I have not pulled an "I told you so" and don't mean to do so by saying this - but I have been telling you guys all along that this whole deal was bullshit....so maybe my perspective on this debacle has some merit. Being skeptical of Pintasia's deal is OK & rational. No one should shift all their hope and faith to Pintasia while FORGETTING about John...John should NOT be let off the hook for his crimes. Posting over and over that certain people should stop talking about it is going to have the opposite effect. See: this post.

Bullet points of where I stand:
-John ripped off ~200 people. They deserve justice. John does not get to just walk away and hide.
-I commend Pintasia for giving it a go, but Pintasia is not above skepticism and questioning.
-Original MG buyers might be happy if Pintasia succeeds...but what about the rest?

#11851 8 years ago

Let's sell the movie rights: Jpop: THE MOVIE ....film profits used to pay back everyone.

Who would play John? Too bad Phillip Seymore Hoffman is no longer with us.

#11864 8 years ago

Well, here's something that'll cheer you guys up. Something that was crowdfunded and finished!

#11897 8 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

Lots of speculation but I really think they are working on the logistics of a plan. I'm sure this plan
Will take some time to materialize.

That's time for John to "escape" and "hide". No consequences for his actions, tons of people out of money with no recourse. Not cool.

#12213 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So you'd rather not sue JPop and just let him escape any consequences at all from taking your money and squandering it?

There are two things that must happen.

1.) People get games.
2.) People get refunds.

If 1 and 2 do not happen, 3 must happen:

3.) John Popadiuk must be destroyed (in court)

#12217 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, videogame studios spend MILLIONS and YEARS to develop that level of graphics.
Popaduik might have been able to con some pinheads with animation and graphics experience to do it for almost free in their spare time, and in a few years get something decent. But yeah, this 90's level stuff was probably the best that he was capable of getting.

I'd rather see good art with simple motion & FX on a pinball display than terrible polygon art/animation that we've seen so far on P3.

#12259 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Take my AIW money!!! . Awesome as usual Yeti
If John would apologize, explain what happened in his words, show the financial details, all of this would go down much easier for me.
Shit happens and businesses fail. The way this went down. Not right in so many ways.

Seriously. Let it be known forever on the internet - John Popadiuk - alleged pinball designer - is a THEIF & A COWARD!!!!

Scrubbing his website & both Facebook pages....you can run, Jplop, but you can't...er...wait, yes, you can hide, too - beyotch.

#12766 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

This is the thread that kills Pinside. Makes me want to look for a better place to chat pinball.

Why!? This is a very real situation that must be discussed until it's resolved. It's actually amazing so many are taking it relatively well and with humor. If you don't like this thread, drain it and participate in others. It will not kill Pinside.

#13949 8 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I think everyone is being a little too hard on it it. The comparison to Wizard Blocks was spot-on. If someone brought that to a show I don't think it'd receive the same criticism.

Doubt it. I've played Wizard Blocks. It's pretty friggin awesome, extremely playable and has great shots and gimmicks despite the early software.

#13955 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

So I'll say something I've stated to a few since I entered into the pinball fray. imagine what could be accomplished if all the people who love and make pinball worked together for the good of pinball?

Yeti, I hate to see you get into defensive mode, especially since you are quite admired and respected around here....step back a bit and remember the narrative for those outside the project: Money has been taken for 3 games and people are still kind of in the dark about what the endgame is here. People are allowed to be critical without getting a "Hey why don't YOU guys do something for pinball?" guilt trip. Do you know what we do for the good of pinball? We play. We collect. We restore & repair. We teach others & get others interested. We BUY....and it's the buyers who've had a party in keeping pinball alive that have been taken advantage of here. The majority of us have jobs/lives and cannot commit our lives to creating pinball...and we don't deserve to be reprimanded for that. Pinball needs creators & supporters...don't shit on the supporters, please. Creators, especially in light of recent circumstances - are not beyond critique.

Quoted from zombieyeti:

I'm seeing a lot of people discount or forget entirely the fact that without yourself and many others working with Bill - this machine would still be in parts at Zidware.

While I suppose it's commendable in theory that Bill, PDX and others are trying to do something...it still isn't really clear what that "something" is. Sure we can commend PDXMonkey for spending his money and time getting this game to the show...but that doesn't make the endgame clearer. I honestly don't know why PDXMonkey has devoted so much time and money to this. I don't know if Bill has a sustainable plan to get this game manufactured. Sorry if people aren't unanimously cheerleading - but they just went through 4 years of bullshit with a delusional maniac...forgive people's skepticism that the remaining behind-the-scenes supporters are still delusional in their goals to save this project.

Quoted from zombieyeti:

So what ever form it is in now is more than any of you deserve based on trajectory.

Oooph. Again, please step out of the bubble and have some empathy for those who've been affected by this. Remember less than 20 people have money on this game. 100+ have money on RAZA and AIW. What do they deserve? Always remember that as this experiment rolls on.

#13978 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Gee Greg, I didn't know you cared so much for us poor Jpop dummies!
Why is it just a "theory" that Bill and PDX are trying to help this thing?
You and I both know it's probably dead. How about a little bit of respect for the effort.
These are all good guys. There will be plenty of time to dance all over John's pinball grave.
How about a little patience? June 30th ok with you?

You completely misread what I said. Let me clarify.

I didn't say it was a "theory" that they are helping. I said it's "commendable in theory". That means I respect the amount of time and money they're putting into this project...however, it's still completely unclear that it's salvageable...and it's completely unclear that the 100's of customers in on the other games will get their money back. PDX & Bill's endgame is unclear. The motives for bringing the game to the show are unclear. So, I could cheerlead ...but if goals aren't attainable, what good would my cheerleading do? If there was absolute clarity that this thing IS salvageable and all could be made whole...I'd be cheerleading like crazy - but c'mon Ice, give me a little credit...based on our forum-fights about this project over the past few years, who saw it clearly from the start? I've been a voice of reason and logic...consistently. That's what I'm still bringing to the table here.

I've always been on the side of the customers here....that's where I still am.

Quoted from iceman44:

It's all the garbage that will drive Bill, Yeti and others like myself from ever trying to do anything pinball related.

Yep, I was considering it with a great group of guys but don't think so now.

My request to those who are still believing in this project - please thicken your skin. Remember who the real victims are...it's not you. Criticism won't stop till a clear plan is presented. Enough of the "screw you guys, I'm goin' home" attitude. Enough with these threats...you're only hurting those with money in limbo by playing the victim card. If you have a REAL PLAN...your success will be proof enough and you can tell me to go F myself then....and I gladly will if it results in all the customers getting what belongs to them.

#13992 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

BS Greg, you implied that Bill has some kind of ulterior motives.
When you think about it. How F ing dumb is that!

Holy crap dude, would you STOP misquoting me!?! I never said he had ulterior motives...I said I didn't understand the motives for bringing it to this show! Was it just to show that the game was away from John's hands? Was it to get new sales? I honestly don't know what purpose the game being at the show was. I think it's COOL - as a spectator - but what does it accomplish in the big picture? That's all I was saying.

Quoted from iceman44:

I'll see you at the TBL funeral. I'm happy for you that you predicted this but here's mine. Adios TBL

Wow, now just flat out wishing me (and others) ill? F you, dude...I've never come at you like that with the Zidware games.

Thankfully your predictions are always wrong.

#13998 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Give me a M fing break you hypocrite!

Ugh....everyone loves it when you're in crazy drunk attack mode...

Quoted from iceman44:

Same deal. Good luck getting your TBL by 2020, isn't that what you said? About the same odds given what's already happened with Phil.

Not same deal. I said 2020 and I'm not too far off. Game still isn't done yet....so.... Phil was a minor situation, and it's over and irrelevant. TBL still had multiple fully manufactured playable protos with fully functioning toys travel THE WORLD for people to play. Tell me how it's even REMOTELY the same deal.

Quoted from iceman44:

I hope you get yours!

Can't tell if you're talking about the game or threatening me.

Drunk.

Quoted from iceman44:

Not with Woz dude. You crapped all over that one too for 4 yrs. I'm happy with my predictions.

Liar. I was IN ON WOZ as a Pre-orderer! I dropped out because I didn't like it once I played it. I'm allowed to have an opinion...that opinion doesn't = "crapping on it for 4 years". Regardless of my feelings about WOZ, I've always contended that JJP was on a COMPLETELY different level than Zidware. I always commended them for having a factory, a business plan, and employees...vs. John's business plan of not having a business plan.

#13999 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You guys crap all over Bill,

FFS....NO ONE IS CRAPPING ON BILL!!!!!

The Pintasia plan is not clear and people are QUESTIONING and CRITICIZING it. That is not "crapping on"...it's not personal! As far as I can tell, most people like Bill....but just can't see how this is going to work unless he presents a clearer plan.

#14159 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Wow....I REALLY don't like that the OP can't close down a Thread when asked. I thought that was the rule.

Why should this thread be shut down? This story is far too important to be swept under the rug. This thread must remain open and John Popadiuk must be continued to be publicly shamed until people get refunds or a game....or how about a humble apology at least? What a cowardly jerk. This thread is bigger than the OP.

#14169 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Why not ask Bill these questions, send him a PM on pinside - I don't understand why the several here asking questions, don't ask bill or Pinstasia directly - my understanding is that owners have a direct contact info to do so. If you don't have a $ in the game, why ask about the deal or Bill's profit projections?

Can we agree that secrets are part of what F'd this whole thing up in the first place? If one of Bill's goals is to get more people interested in these projects...transparency and trust are a must.

When there are secrets, people will fill in the blanks - sometimes right, sometimes wrong. Isn't it just better to have 100% correct info out there?

#14331 8 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

Hobbit and Big Lebowski? Are those still not for pre-order?

Lebowski pre-orders are over. If I understand correctly, games will be built for those who pre-ordered, and once those start shipping new orders will open through distributors.

#14419 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Jpoop is childish. I prefer Jflop or Jstolemymoney etc..,
Whatever John is now called, he earned the names.

Flopadouche!!!

#14921 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

I think the shittiest part in the end is all us customers may never see a dime at this point Obviously can't be sure, but I don't expect any money to ever come back.

This is still the real story here. I've seen a handful of people shrug their shoulders and say "well, it's gone - let's move on" and a handful of people expressing interest in lawsuits.

Where are the rest of the almost 200 people who paid for these games? I can't imagine most of them just walking away....they will want their money back or revenge. Most people don't just "walk away" from $10k-20k. Those who want revenge clearly aren't going to post about it. This story is far from over....

#14941 8 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Yup and the 14k I lost is a SHIT TON of money to me as well but when there is almost literally nothing you can do to re-coupe your money then....
You have to laugh or cry about it. I choose to do a little of both but online we'll definitely stick to laughing.
Still got that hat for sale guys
In fact, it gives me even more motivation to kick-ass at life and try to generate more cash-flow into my finances. Besides, Karma is a bitch and JPop has a lot of that headed his way....

You're a chill dude to take it that way. Has John reached out to you or anyone via Email or phone to just APOLOGIZE!?!? You'd think he could at least do that much...he's really messed with people's lives. They didn't get into this as a "gamble" (as some have suggested)...they paid for a "collectible product" with an expectation of receiving that product. Ice is saying that lawsuits are pointless as you may not get your money back....how about just a plea to John as a human being to do the right thing and do what he can to give people their money back? Maybe his lawyer is telling him to just keep quiet....or maybe he's just too much of a coward to confront those he screwed....I know an apology isn't money - but man, it'd be nice to see if he has a sense of human decency left.

#15074 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'll see you at the TBL funeral. I'm happy for you that you predicted this but here's mine. Adios TBL

New TBL update references Jpop. Things are still looking good. Some positive news for a change.

TBL1.jpgTBL1.jpg TBL2.jpgTBL2.jpg TBL3.jpgTBL3.jpg TBL4.jpgTBL4.jpg TBL5.jpgTBL5.jpg
#15092 8 years ago

What about the local news? Do they they still do "Help me! I got screwed!" segments? Get a news camera and reporter up in John's face...if ANYTHING, there is a compelling story to be told here. Us Pinball people know what a delusional conman he is....his entire local community should know. If he's not going to pay people back, make him a friggin' pariah in his community. Is he still working as a teacher? Make sure the place that employs him know what an unethical scammer he is. He's taken from the pinball community and won't give back? Well, turnabout is fair play...take his dignity, his reputation, his employment opportunities...see how he likes being screwed.

#15112 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I know someone that bought more than one of each game and they are in deeper than anyone else.

Hoooooooly......shiiiiiiii.........

Yeah, that's not someone who's just gonna walk away and move on.

#15126 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Yeah they are not in on AIW but have multiple MG's plus a prototype and more than 1 of RAZA.

!?!?!??!?!?!?!!

I'm at a loss for words. Actually I'm not, but everything I've written (and then erased) is just insulting to whoever did this. Just gonna keep quiet...but YIKES.

#15232 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

This is one of the things has has me scratching my head.
John has lied to so many people on so many topics, and yet, many take his statement of "being broke" as somhow being truthful? Even though getting folks to believe this would be incredibly self-serving?

Someone who shall remain anonymous who has John's ear told me something quite telling. John said "I've never made this much money from pinball in my life!". Just hearing that ...."made this much money" ...made my skin crawl. He thought it was his....not for the project. His.

IMO, he got addicted to the cash & probably still has a lot of it. It's not his to keep. Hopefully audits will happen to bring out the truth as to where the money went. If he has ANY of it, it must be returned.

#15277 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

According to John he stopped drawing a salary in Nov 14.
Whether that's true or not that's what he said.

How much was this salary? How much of the pre-order money went toward this salary? That's money in the bank, and is proof that he's not broke. Any money that he took for salary needs to be refunded.

#15282 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You were crowd funding a startup business.

Disagree. He was selling a product. They were buying a product. He broke his contract and hasn't delivered the product. The "Jpop Experience" wasn't sold as a Kickstarter or a gamble. It was a product purchase.

Now, we both know that the economics never made sense and there was no way he was ever going to be able to build those products....but that's another part of the story.....the stupidity and/or fraudulent John part of the story.

#15283 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

From where?
His landlord is not going to give his rent back.
Allstate is not going to give his car insurance premium back.
HAP is not going to give his health insurance premium back.
He can't give the food he ate back.
That money is spent, and gone.

How do you know what he's spent? He could have been extracting an unrealistic amount as salary. It's John, the most delusional man in pinball....we must assume he's capable of doing something that dopey. It could be sitting in a savings account.

#15295 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

John asked me on more than one occasion how much I had already paid to him for RAZA. If he didn't keep records on how much I paid him, he sure as hell doesn't have records of what he spent the money on.

OK, then what's in his bank account? That money doesn't belong to him now.

#15314 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

So in total how many people got screwed on the buyers side?

Looks to be somewhere around 200. (~20 MG, 125 RAZA, and who knows how many bit on AIW) ....although some people bought multiple titles. That would bring down the number screwed but the numbers up on those who were screwed.

#15497 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

I remember him saying to me 3-4 months ago "Can you believe people are this mad about pinball?! It is supposed to be a fun game!"

Ugh. What a fucking asshole.

(I'll probably get thread ejected...but I think it's absolutely appropriate in this case.)

#15503 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

The original delivery timeline for Magic Girl around two years or less. That money was taken for those games. My point was that he had to have known that he could not build the games after he paid himself that high a salary.

He CLEARLY knew...that's why he took money for game #2 and #3!

At that point he was either using those funds to complete MG, or just addicted to the cash flow. All I know is the second he announced a second game, I could NOT believe anyone was rushing to give him money when nothing regarding the first game had been shown....and then a 3rd!?!?! Balls. BALLS.

#15505 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Man, even mentioning those two in the same sentence is offensive, even before this shit show. Larry is a goddamn legend.
I think Popaduik turning down that job is more evidence of him being totally insane - the number of people designing pinball in the world can be counted on ONE HAND and he turned it down. Clearly it shows he's an egomaniac at the very least.

Egomaniac, lacks self-awareness and lacks a sense of reality.

His view: Stern would be a BILLION TIMES PERCENT better if *I* was there showing them what's what.

Stern's view: He's a gaddamn fucking maniac, we'll probably have to fire him when he can't deliver a game on budget/on deadline....but he's worked in the industry before, let's give him a chance and see what happens.

#15677 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

A huge plus 1 on this!
Bill, if you really think that you want to try your hand at the pinball business, I'd recommend getting in touch with Scott at Riot Pinball to see if something could be worked out to try and get this pin into production.
The pre-order model just wasn't going to work here. But I bet they'd be able to sell a decent number of these (in line with what Spooky did with AMH at least) if they could be built prior to payment.
Just a thought.

If WOOLY is still $8k in this theoretical scenario, it's going to have the same problem it had during the pre-order attempt: Price. WOOLY sells at $6k...Spooky price. Not $8k.

#15766 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Really? Because I called him the same thing, like five or six posts about you, and .. noone noticed.

Is Noone a mod now ?

1 week later
#16125 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

has anyone looked at his pinballinventor page lately? He's working so hard he doesn't have time for spellcheck:
http://www.pinballinventor.org/feed.html
pinballinventor_cant_spell.jpg
Wonder how well the machine was packed up bnefore they shipped it from the northwest back to chicago?

"Magic Girl #4 Finally Being Shipped"

Just like he doesn't understand what "Labwoski" is, he doesn't understand what "SHIPPED" means! What an asshole.

1 week later
#16260 8 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

So if JJP ever runs out of money, will this be what he tells his customers?

Beat me to it. Jack's whole "F Pinside" attitude lately has been a turn-off...but now his response to the Jpop fraud is victim blaming!?!? Going along with the narrative that it's the community's fault for John's failure and theft!? People should just shrug it off and move on after losing thousands!?

Glad I don't have money on a Hobbit.

#16332 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

my impression is he feels bad for all the people involved. He can't bail him out. Why does he have to hate the guy? He wasn't involved in this from a Buisness or customer status. He gains nothing by bashing him. That's just my 2 cents

But he loses a lot by blaming the victims and insulting the community for holding John accountable. Sours me on doing further business with him.

#16335 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I'll bet the JJP private group praised Jack for such an insightful letter! Love to see some of their replies.

Cult_of_Jack.jpgCult_of_Jack.jpg

#16406 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Guys, Jack apologized a little while ago. Post 6945 in The Hobbit update thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/139
From the thread above
"I'm sorry that my post was misunderstood. I'm sorry that it confused or upset anyone. It was my personal opinion.
I always thank our customer base for putting us in business and I never forget that.
John is a person, with a family, that was the main point of my post.
This is Pinball"

What about the people who bought the game?

Are they not people? Do they not have families? No, no, no...the perp does NOT get sympathy! Especially since he's NEVER apologized or done anything to make this right. F John Popadiuk. F his family. They stole from my friends and lied to them. Jack's sympathy is misplaced.

#16437 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Word is he has a Friday meeting with another angel investor.

Let's humor him for a second....lets say there IS an investor - then what happens ...will he use that money to REFUND everyone!??!!? lol

#16631 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

He is still answering emails from "prospective" buyers

Wow ...fraud fraud FRAUD! Get this vomit's vomit into prison already!!!! How many more are gonna get ripped off!??!

#16661 8 years ago

This is posted as a courtesy to another pinsider
---------------------------
So I created a fake email and I got a slightly different response. I'd
post it, but I think he knows my pinside ID. Can you repost it for me?
My email: "I like the photos I'm seeing of this project. When is the
release date expected, and how do I go about ordering?"
His response: "Yes we are past the concept stage at this point, so we now
move to continuing building on the real playfield and game and progress
with programming, animations and software. But estimate at least 6 months
until we get to the next milestone. it's all detailed and takes a lot
longer, like a custom chopper"

...and what about the other 2 games you sold to ~150 people, you --removed--??!?!?! (John, not Bmore)

#16689 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

This update thread doesn't have much meaning at this point, if the argument is all about whether ZIdware is out of business, or is John still working on games. Everyone can place odds on bankruptcy, another angel investor, or what decade John might ship a game - but why go any further?

Of course this thread has meaning! As long as this scammer has people's money, as long as those people don't have a game....as long as John REFUSES to talk to his "customers" unless they're potential new suckers to scam money from - this thread has a point. Until there is justice for those who have been screwed, this thread will go further.

#16696 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

You're right - it does have meaning. But if a "potential new" doesn't see the warnings before post #16689, no new posts are going to make the difference.
Greg - are there terms that were violated? if so, which ones determine it was a scam and people are screwed.
I get all the frustration, and opinions on the game ever getting done, what will a final game have on it, when, etc. - but that's the point - nothing is defined, "criminal", "scam", "screwed" - I get the emotions. I agree its poor judgment to not talk to customers or even answer any emails coming into [email protected].

He took money for games. Hasn't built games. ADMITTED he couldn't build the games.
Current customers: SCREWED.

Now shows that he's working on other games while talking to potential new customers.
SCAM.

Seems open and shut to me. He's a criminal. He's stolen from people. He's actively trying to steal from new people.

#16775 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

People have.
But once you enter the building, you fall under the spell and become Jpooped.
No joke.

Still? In the "I can no longer build the games but Pintasia will so don't sue me oh wait Pintasia's gone but look I'm still building Alice!" Era?

#16837 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Instead of joining forces to make our hobby better than ever, we're sitting here bickering with our fellow pinheads.

I'm trying to make sense of this statement. What is your proposal for "joining forces" and what does it have to do with solving the issue of John squandering millions from hobbyists & Jack's victim-blaming/villain-empathy?

#16838 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I'm not here to beef with fellow pinball enthusiasts. I've learned a lot about the players and the games and the industry during the few months I've been on here.
But people are spinning their wheels now, and this whole lynch mob mentality is getting out of hand.
IMHFO.
And I'm not sure it's necessary to have everyone come down on hard on me for voicing my opinion. I didn't take your money and run.

OK, so you've been here for a few months....can you put yourself in the shoes of others and understand that they had their money tied up in a project for years and then had the rug pulled out from under them? ...and then Jack rubs salt in the wound by saying they got what they paid for? John Popadiuk deserves every bit of the lynch mob mentality...he stole from people and continues to act as though he can make a game. This is THE lynch mob thread....and will continue to be until there is justice.

#16847 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I just don't think that will happen. People were willing to put down money sight unseen on JPOPs stuff, because they love the hobby. When JJP unveils their next title, everyone will be collectively oohing-and-ahhhhhing and putting down preorders.

A lot has happened in the last few years. The reason people were willing to put down so much money on Jpop's stuff was that we were in the era of Big Bang Bar, Medieval Madness, Tron LE, and AC/DC BIBLE going up up up up up up in value. Some pinball collectors' mentality was "$16k for a Jpop game!? Sign me up, it'll be worth $50k in a few years!" Those days are long gone. People are a much more guarded and fickle...and willing to wait before paying. Buying blind with the guarantee of value increase is over. I love Pat Lawlor, but I'm in no rush to spend $8k+ on his new game...Jack's recent comments and the lack of Hobbit shipping aren't helping.

#16849 8 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

And we are off the rails....

This was off the rails when John asked people to pay for a game called "Magic Girl" that didn't even remotely exist.

#16926 8 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

the audio and rules in Road Show are its worst points. it would be a great game to P-ROC.
It's FuhRRIIIIDAYYYYy <AAARGGGH>
Maybe swap heads so it's not Ted that swallows
-c

Hmm. I love Road Shows rules & audio! I wouldn't change a thing on it.

You can get your balls in Red's mouth, too - you just have to have good aim! ...she always spits it out, though.

2 weeks later
#17053 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Am I the only one that would love to see him give a seminar at a show? Imagine if he showed up!

I'd go to that seminar. Block the doors and don't let him leave until he addresses his crimes against pinball!

#17055 8 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Or maybe just kick his ass ........
seabass.jpg
QSS

I was trying to be diplomatic.

#17066 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

If I were Rob Berk - I'd LOVE to have John do a seminar - the attendance boost to EXPO would be huge. State Fair's would get hugh attendance boosts when they had a grandstand show of two trains wreck into each other.

First Expo with metal detectors!!!

#17075 8 years ago

So is anything legal happening!?!? I refuse to believe that every single person will just suck up this loss and move on. I'm amazed no one has showed up at his doorstep yet.

#17082 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I heard the lawsuit is 25 ppl deep.
I don't think this will end well for the Popaduiks.

What are the other 100+ people going to do ?

#17097 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Why don't you ask "Moonbeam?" I'm sure he has a solution.

What does this even mean?

2 weeks later
#17190 8 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

How in the world is this thread still alive? It's been one of the trashiest threads on pinside ever.

As long as every single "customer" of John Popadiuk's fraud is out $10k+, this thread should NEVER die. The only trash is John. Even if they never get a cent back, it's the principal of it. John must admit to what he's done and apologize for it, and try to make it right. Until that happens, we will never stop discussing that piece of shit. He F's the pinball community...we F him back. F him. If you think this story should disappear quietly into the night, then F you.

#17225 8 years ago

So, has anyone confronted him in person after the Pintasia thing fell apart? I want to know how what he'd say to one of his "customers" who cornered him in person with "Where's my game? Where's my money? Where are some ANSWERS!?!?!?!"

#17364 8 years ago

GAH!! How about a fucking warning first!!!!

Also, it's "you're" ...ya ballbag

#17392 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Doubtful.. He may show up to pinball life pin-explosion, he can play pinball and get some free grub and beer (he showed up last year), plus it's a slightly shorter drive.

Then you're bound to hear someone screaming "WHERE'S THE FUCKING MONEY, SHITHEAD!" and it won't be coming from the Lebowski machine.

#17441 8 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Who knows what was driving him but he was incompetent for what he portrayed himself to be.

Unchecked artist ego with no "suits" to give him a budget/schedule.

2 weeks later
#17575 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I can see jpop showing up for free eats at pinball life.

If he does - EVERYONE should start chanting "SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!" in unison, Game of Thrones style, until he leaves.

#17579 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Based on how no one said boo to Kevin at that auction, I think the same thing would happen with Popaduik at Expo.

I'll be there....and if I see him, I'll start the "SHAME!" chant.

Or, let's feel free to come up with something else...maybe "Ringside Wrestling Style" - THEIVING ASSHOLE! *stomp stomp stomp-stomp-stomp* THEIVING ASSHOLE! *stomp stomp stomp-stomp-stomp*

#17659 8 years ago

I'm only an hour into it but I think Nate's doing a good job. Every question is basically about all the screw ups - Nate is in no way kissing his ass. John even admitted to his own arrogance and pride ...and he even said "I'm slow". I know that doesn't get anyone refunds but he admits he'l doesn't quite process reality in the same way that most of us do.

#17673 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I disagree completely. Yes, some of the questions that he actually asked were fine. But good God man, you don't just ask a question and let the guy go off on a complete tangent lasting 10 minutes at a time, talking about some shit that had nothing to do with the question.
He let him ramble...and ramble...and go wherever he wanted to go. He was never kept on track. Nate admits at the beginning of the podcast that he "let John talk." Boy, did he. Nate's ultra laid back demeanor in this interview made it even more difficult to listen to. Nate never pushed back, and more often than not would just say things like "sure" and "yeah" as he let John ramble on and on.
Ugh.
Nate also stated at the beginning: "I like John Popaduik a lot" and I think this actually comes through in the softball interview.

Right off the bat he says its unedited. He could have edited to make John look better or worse - but I think playing the rambling unedited version is Nate's way of just letting John incriminate himself without screaming at him like we all would like to.

I'm not letting John off the hook for anything but I think Nate asked him specific questions and why everything got fucked up and John rambled out his answers.

I think it would be really interesting if now Nate did follow up interviews with Cointaker, Jeremy, customers (if willing to talk) and other people who were involved.

#17805 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Nah I kept up just fine. My analogy was that Dutch Pinball has shipped the exact amount of games JPop has. I'll let you figure out that number...

They've shipped BOP 2.0. That's at least 1/2 a game more than John has shipped. It's a complete pinball project including CPU, code, gameplay, music, animation & part of a physical product that has shipped to customers.

#17809 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Go away libtard. Seriously Greg, go out and spend your trust fund and get off of Pinside for a while.

Please forward me the account number. I didn't know I had one!

Jokes aside, what I wrote about BoP 2.0 was absolutely true. Hurling a libelous personal attack at me does nothing but let people know the truth about you.

#17815 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

John was close to tears at several points in this interview. (If you couldn't tell that, "listen better!") Maybe it's not sorrow or remorse, but he clearly knows how serious it is.

I suppose "getting your pound of flesh" will be knowing while you're out 10k, his future is basically ruined.

Did you listen to Nate's follow-up Podcast? John said he wanted to get the story out before he "falls on his sword" ...should we put John on suicide watch? How dark can this story get...

#17825 8 years ago

Looks like he changed his website - http://www.pinballinventor.org/
took down all links to anything

...but left up the link to the Podcast interview.

1 month later
#18365 8 years ago

*Crickets* ...is this bastard in jail and/or homeless yet?

2 months later
#18511 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Well, LinkedIn got it right......

johnpoppadouchebag_(resized).jpg

BWAHHAHAHHA! Is that for real!?!? That's amazing...well, no way he gets a job offer through LinkedIn!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
274 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rarehero. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.