IMG_6253 (resized).jpg
IMG_6254 (resized).jpg
c928de729783bf855db2c4fad7afdbee637c54ed (resized).jpg
cc89192186c76bbcfae62d319969e24fd9478da8 (resized).jpg
N-68X (resized).jpg
Big Daddy Flash (resized).png
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 57.
#1601 3 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Hi, I don't know what pages that wamonkey was missing but he says we don't have them. Can you please review our listing and kindly submit to us whatever you have that we don't have? It may turn out to be just what wamonkey was looking for.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=874

Please be sure to put your email address in the space provided for it at the top of the Submission Tool's main page which is the first page you see when you click on the [Submit Changes] link in the listing. That way, if I have any questions, I can contact you in that way.

Thank you.

I didn't see the schematic for the S&T board in either of the English manuals, so I scanned the missing pages, but I'm unable to upload to IPDB using the "Submit Changes" link on the Flash Gordon page. When I click on "Go directly to adding files," I get an "internal server error: the server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration." Here is a wetransfer link where you can download the PDF I created: https://we.tl/t-FXgyXGiOTq

#1602 3 years ago

All the S & T schematics are the same.

#1603 3 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I didn't see the schematic for the S&T board in either of the English manuals, so I scanned the missing pages, but I'm unable to upload to IPDB using the "Submit Changes" link on the Flash Gordon page. When I click on "Go directly to adding files," I get an "internal server error: the server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration." Here is a wetransfer link where you can download the PDF I created: https://we.tl/t-FXgyXGiOTq

Yeah, unscheduled downtime. It gives me time to jet back over here and see what's happening.

Thanks for the link. I downloaded one schematic split into two images, marked SQUAWK & TALK SCHEMATIC AS, Model Number 1215, final date 1-9-81. The schematic Part Number is pretty smudged in both appearances of it but looks like W-1250.

I'll add it to our manual that we labeled "English Manual (Squawk & Talk Assy, missing pages 21 & 25, paginated schematics)" since I believe that's where users would look for it. Curious that it was missing.

Thank you.

#1604 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I don’t know why IPDB is missing Squawk and Talk pages....

Quoted from I_P_D_B:

I'll add it to our manual that we labeled "English Manual (Squawk & Talk Assy, missing pages 21 & 25, paginated schematics)" since I believe that's where users would look for it. Curious that it was missing.

It's now in that manual. Thank you, bluebomber.

Jay
IPDB

#1605 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

All the S & T schematics are the same.

Not all S&T are the same, the board went through several amendments...
Flash Gordon S&T is flawed.
Eight Ball Deluxe is corrected.
Centaur is amended and changed for "Say It Again" board.
Late model S&T boards are downward compatible.

#1606 3 years ago

8 years ago, I decied to clean the corrosion off my MPU board. I removed all teh socketed IC chips, and never put them back. Now I cannot remember which IC chips go into which sockets. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

#1607 3 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

8 years ago, I decied to clean the corrosion off my MPU board. I removed all teh socketed IC chips, and never put them back. Now I cannot remember which IC chips go into which sockets. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad

if you go on IPDB, the manual with schematics will show you P/N for each of these chips.

#1608 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

if you go on IPDB, the manual with schematics will show you P/N for each of these chips.

My FG chips got mixed up with ones from a Supersonic. Are any of the removable IC's common with other -35 games?

#1609 3 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

My FG chips got mixed up with ones from a Supersonic. Are any of the removable IC's common with other -35 games?

The socketed chips at U7, U8, U9, U10 and U11 are interchangeable with other -35 boards.
U7 is a 6810 RAM chip
U8 is a 5101 RAM chip
U9 is a 6800 CPU chip
U10 is a 6821 PIA chip
U11 is a 6821 PIA chip
Yes, U10 and U11 are the same chip.

The socket ROM chips at U1/U2 and U6 however are game specific. If you post pictures of them we can tell you which ones are Supersonic and which are Flash Gordon ROMs.

#1610 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If you post pictures of them we can tell you which ones are Supersonic and which are Flash Gordon ROMs.

I hope this works.

IMG00242 (resized).JPGIMG00242 (resized).JPGIMG00243 (resized).JPGIMG00243 (resized).JPGIMG00244 (resized).JPGIMG00244 (resized).JPGIMG00245 (resized).JPGIMG00245 (resized).JPGIMG00246 (resized).JPGIMG00246 (resized).JPGIMG00247 (resized).JPGIMG00247 (resized).JPGIMG00248 (resized).JPGIMG00248 (resized).JPGIMG00249 (resized).JPGIMG00249 (resized).JPGIMG00250 (resized).JPGIMG00250 (resized).JPGIMG00251 (resized).JPGIMG00251 (resized).JPGIMG00252 (resized).JPGIMG00252 (resized).JPGIMG00253 (resized).JPGIMG00253 (resized).JPGIMG00254 (resized).JPGIMG00254 (resized).JPGIMG00255 (resized).JPGIMG00255 (resized).JPGIMG00256 (resized).JPGIMG00256 (resized).JPGIMG00257 (resized).JPGIMG00257 (resized).JPGIMG00258 (resized).JPGIMG00258 (resized).JPGIMG00259 (resized).JPGIMG00259 (resized).JPGIMG00260 (resized).JPGIMG00260 (resized).JPG
#1611 3 years ago

In order of pictures:

1. P5101 = U8
2. E-720-30-U6 = SuperSonic U6
3. E-741-08-U2 = SuperSonic U2
4. E-741-10-U1 = SuperSonic U1
5. S6800P = U9
6. 620-29 = U10 and U11
7. 620-29 = U10 and U11
8. MCM6810P = U7
9. --- Top Left: E-720-20-U6 = Mata Hari U6
9. --- Top Right: E-725-21-U2 = Mata Hari U2
9. --- Middle Left: = U7
9. --- Middle Right: E720-52 U6 = Flash Gordon U6
9. --- Bottom: P5101L-3 = U8
10. --- Top: F6820PC = U10 and U11
10. --- Middle: MC6821P = U10 and U11
10. --- Bottom: S6800P = U9
11. --- Top: MC6821P = U10 and U11
11. --- Middle: MC6820P = U10 and U11
11. --- Bottom: F6800P = U9
12. --- Top: 620-29 = U10 and U11
12. --- Bottom: MC6800L = U9
13. 620-30 = U7
14. 5101E-3 = U8
15. MCM6810S = U7
16. E720-52 U6 = Flash Gordon U6
17. What's printed on the label? not enough detail, U2 or U6 for some game.
18. S6821P = U10 and U11
19. S6821P = U10 and U11

Put labels on each chip with their U number so you know where they go.

#1612 3 years ago

Thanks Quench. Thank you very much. I was so worried I would not be able to figure this out. The Flash Gordon U6, is that the one that has program on it? Do Have all the IC's for the Flash Gordon?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

#1613 3 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

The Flash Gordon U6, is that the one that has program on it? Do Have all the IC's for the Flash Gordon?

There's two I marked as Flash Gordon U6. They do have program code in them but technically they aren't Flash Gordon specific. Those particular U6 ROM chips contain "system" code and are also used on other games, specifically Eight Ball Deluxe, Fireball II and Embryon.

The ROM chip at U2 is specific to Flash Gordon and is what's known as the "personality" code.
I can't see it in your picture list though it most likely is the purple one in picture 17. Need to know what's printed on the white sticker to be certain.

You have plenty of the other chips needed to populate the MPU board.

BTW, if you're not aware, chips are directional. If you plug them in backwards, they will in most cases die.
Follow the half notch on the short end of the chips with the silk screened socket notch on the MPU board.

#1614 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Those particular U6 ROM chips contain "system" code and are also used on other games, specifically Eight Ball Deluxe, Fireball II and Embryon.

Yes,yes,yes, They call the small cluster of programs in U6 as an utility ROM.

#1615 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

13. not enough detail, how many pins is it? What numbers can you see?
17. What's printed on the label? not enough detail, U2 or U6 for some game.

13. Has 24 pins and I was able to read it 620-30 7741-C
17. Has 24 pins. From what I can read it is TMS2532 and under that is 81C. I cannot make out the remaining charecters. It might be 14 after 81C.

Thanks again,
Brad

#1616 3 years ago

I'm starting to repopulate my FG playfield after getting my new one clearcoated. Somehow I lost my memory card (it's been a year since tear down) that had 60+ pictures stored on it. There are dozens of pictures posted here I can use. Does anyone have a picture of the power braid routing on the bottom of the PF before assemblies are added? I usually replace the braid and the lamp sockets with new when doing a swap.

#1617 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Not all S&T are the same, the board went through several amendments...
Flash Gordon S&T is flawed.
Eight Ball Deluxe is corrected.
Centaur is amended and changed for "Say It Again" board.
Late model S&T boards are downward compatible.

I've got issues with my S&T on FG and wonder if it is related to the generation but the issues are intermittent - garbled and incomplete audio, not sure where to look.

#1618 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I've got issues with my S&T on FG and wonder if it is related to the generation but the issues are intermittent - garbled and incomplete audio, not sure where to look.

Have the caps and pots been replaced?

#1619 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I'm starting to repopulate my FG playfield after getting my new one clearcoated. Somehow I lost my memory card (it's been a year since tear down) that had 60+ pictures stored on it. There are dozens of pictures posted here I can use. Does anyone have a picture of the power braid routing on the bottom of the PF before assemblies are added? I usually replace the braid and the lamp sockets with new when doing a swap.

Hopefully this helps.
43F10491-3BF8-4B58-9C6C-EB89128559F8 (resized).jpeg43F10491-3BF8-4B58-9C6C-EB89128559F8 (resized).jpeg

#1620 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Hopefully this helps.
[quoted image]

That's perfect! Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

#1621 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Yes,yes,yes, They call the small cluster of programs in U6 as an utility ROM.

Ah, thanks for the clarification vec-tor on Bally calling U6 a "utility" ROM.

Quoted from Enochsmoken:

13. Has 24 pins and I was able to read it 620-30 7741-C
17. Has 24 pins. From what I can read it is TMS2532 and under that is 81C. I cannot make out the remaining charecters. It might be 14 after 81C.

13. 620-30 is Ballys part number of a Motorola 6810 RAM chip that goes in U7 (post #1611 above updated).
17. TMS2532 is the part number of an EPROM chip which can be programmed with code/data. That's a general EPROM part number that doesn't refer to anything programmed in it. The white label stuck to the chip should have details written/printed on it specifying what/version of info it's programmed with. If nothings written on the label, you would have to use an EPROM programmer to read its contents to determine what's in it.
Suffice to say though, of all the chip pictures you posted it's the only one likely to be a U2 Flash Gordon ROM chip.

#1622 3 years ago

Hey all. Just joined the club. I am interested in doing a hard top but I can’t find one. Did outside edge stop making them?

#1623 3 years ago
Quoted from Jkaping:

Hey all. Just joined the club. I am interested in doing a hard top but I can’t find one. Did outside edge stop making them?

They do limited runs of them. Be patient.

#1624 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

17. TMS2532 is the part number of an EPROM chip which can be programmed with code/data. That's a general EPROM part number that doesn't refer to anything programmed in it. The white label stuck to the chip should have details written/printed on it specifying what/version of info it's programmed with. If nothings written on the label, you would have to use an EPROM programmer to read its contents to determine what's in it. Suffice to say though, of all the chip pictures you posted it's the only one likely to be a U2 Flash Gordon ROM chip.

There was nothing on the label. I have access to a programmer. Thanks for your help, I was afraid I was screwed.

Brad

#1625 3 years ago

I am in need of just the top left corner plastic. Does anyone have a spare I can buy?

#1626 3 years ago
Quoted from Jkaping:

I am in need of just the top left corner plastic. Does anyone have a spare I can buy?

Good luck, I ended up buying a complete set from CPR after looking for a year. Seems to be a commonly broken part.

#1627 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Good luck, I ended up buying a complete set from CPR after looking for a year. Seems to be a commonly broken part.

True. I cut two broken pieces to fix that part of the playfield.

#1628 3 years ago
Quoted from Jkaping:I am in need of just the top left corner plastic. Does anyone have a spare I can buy?

You’ll have to google it, but I was on the hunt a few years back and found a shop in England (I think - definitely Europe) that was selling that plastic. Very common to be busted from lifting the PF. I ended up just buying a new set from CPR since I needed a couple of other plastics.

#1629 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

You’ll have to google it, but I was on the hunt a few years back and found a shop in England (I think - definitely Europe) that was selling that plastic. Very common to be busted from lifting the PF. I ended up just buying a new set from CPR since I needed a couple of other plastics.

Pinball.center/en/

About $45 shipped though.

#1630 3 years ago
Quoted from Jkaping:

I do. I bought a new CPR set for mine. I'll PM.

#1631 3 years ago

Started the re-population of my PF today. Does anyone have a source for new upper PF lanes guides? Bally #A-3032-64 and -65? Cliffy makes new ramps, I have a set on order but not these.

#1632 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

upper PF lanes guides?

??? pix?

#1635 3 years ago

My lower right coil keeps melting. I am wondering if I wired it incorrectly after a rebuild, if anyone has time to snap a picture of the wiring there I would sincerely appreciate it, ty!

#1636 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

My lower right coil keeps melting. I am wondering if I wired it incorrectly after a rebuild, if anyone has time to snap a picture of the wiring there I would sincerely appreciate it, ty!

Pinside isn't successfully uploading images right now so here is a link: https://i.imgur.com/hVW4o5I.jpeg. Hopefully this helps

#1637 3 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Pinside isn't successfully uploading images right now so here is a link: https://i.imgur.com/hVW4o5I.jpeg. Hopefully this helps

Hard to tell from the photo with all the wires but before it heats up is it operating correctly? I am wondering if you have the EOS wired to the lower power coil instead of the high power one. Also by any chance are your diodes new or in backwards?

#1638 3 years ago

Thanks for the pic. Yes it operates fine until it melt the sleeve and the fipper no longer operates. Not sure that you mean by "The EOS wired to the lower power coil instead..."?

I rebuilt the flippers and didnt touch diodes. I assume I wired something incorrectly or need a new EOS... hmm.

#1639 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Thanks for the pic. Yes it operates fine until it melt the sleeve and the fipper no longer operates. Not sure that you mean by "The EOS wired to the lower power coil instead..."?
I rebuilt the flippers and didnt touch diodes. I assume I wired something incorrectly or need a new EOS... hmm.

If just you turn on the machine, does the coil heat up? Or only when you start a game, or only when you start a game and actually use the flippers? Each condition tells us something different.

Your closed EOS is supposed to be a short circuit cutting out the lower power coil during the power stroke. When you hit end of stroke, the switch opens (make sure it is clearly open) it puts the low power coil in series with the high power coil dropping current draw and letting your flipper stay actuated but only draw minimal power. Something is really wrong if it heats up and that can really only happen by pulling a lot of current.

As your EOS degrades, your low power coil (high resistance coil) is progressively more and more staying in the circuit. That will never overheat anything, it just gives weaker and weaker flipper behaviour. So don't change the EOS until we solve the heat problem.

#1640 3 years ago

Dupe post

#1641 3 years ago

Thanks for the info - I'll get everything soldered up again tonight and report back!

#1642 3 years ago

Checked wiring, all good
Started it up, no sound now
Coil doesnt get hot with the game on and/or started.
I didnt try flipping, but both coils melted during games previously when flipping.

#1643 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Checked wiring, all good
Started it up, no sound now
Coil doesnt get hot with the game on and/or started.
I didnt try flipping, but both coils melted during games previously when flipping.

You will have to try using the flippers, hold a flipper button but keep a hand on the flipper coil. Normally it should heat up to coffee mug temperature and do so fairly slowly. If it heats up quickly and keeps heating up.

The sound thing is weird. My own FG used to randomly boot up without sound. Power cycling always fixed it. After rebuilding the power supply, primarily the large capacitor it stopped happening.

#1644 3 years ago

Posting an update here:

Rebooted - game had sound this time.
Started the game, flipped around for about a min, got warm but not HOT
Held coil down, started to get hot, so I turned off the game.

#1645 3 years ago

Hey Guys... when should my strobe light be on? I think I’m having some irregularities. Right now it occasionally works in attract mode. I think I had a full day where I didn’t see it at all, last night it was on again in attract mode after I played a few games. Does it ever come on during game play?

#1646 3 years ago
Quoted from Jkaping:

Hey Guys... when should my strobe light be on? I think I’m having some irregularities. Right now it occasionally works in attract mode. I think I had a full day where I didn’t see it at all, last night it was on again in attract mode after I played a few games. Does it ever come on during game play?

I believe when you have the ball in the middle up/down saucer it should call "FLASH"
and back box strobe goes off.

#1647 3 years ago

The past couple months, I've been working with the Bally / Stern Operating System (BSOS) to re-imagine Bally's Flash Gordon game code. BSOS was created by Pinside user DickHamill, and it utilizes an Arduino Nano circuit connected to the MPUs J5 connector to take over the machine. It can easily be dual-booted between the original code and the updated code with the flip of a switch, and the whole project can be built for less than $20.

I just started a thread for this here if you are interested in more information: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2021-re-imagined-code-for-bally-flash-gordon-1981

#1648 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

[quoted image]

I'm having a local sheet metal guy I know reproduce 6 sets of these. I ordered the stainless and 4 sets are spoken for. PM if interested in a set.

#1649 3 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

The past couple months, I've been working with the Bally / Stern Operating System (BSOS) to re-imagine Bally's Flash Gordon game code. BSOS was created by Pinside user DickHamill, and it utilizes an Arduino Nano circuit connected to the MPUs J5 connector to take over the machine. It can easily be dual-booted between the original code and the updated code with the flip of a switch, and the whole project can be built for less than $20.
I just started a thread for this here if you are interested in more information: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2021-re-imagined-code-for-bally-flash-gordon-1981

Seems like a cool project. And for $20 with the ability to switch between the original and modified code, I think it's a no-brainer. Cant wait to see more!

#1650 3 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Too often, people who submit items using our Submission Tool do not return to its main page to scroll down to the bottom to click "Submit Update for Review". Instead they X'd their browser window which aborts the submission and we never see it. Is it possible this happened to you? This happened to two different users within the last month, in fact.

Might be a reasonable idea then to improve the submissions interface to avoid this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,995 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 57.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/33?hl=bluebomber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.