IMG_6253 (resized).jpg
IMG_6254 (resized).jpg
c928de729783bf855db2c4fad7afdbee637c54ed (resized).jpg
cc89192186c76bbcfae62d319969e24fd9478da8 (resized).jpg
N-68X (resized).jpg
Big Daddy Flash (resized).png
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bluebomber.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1067 4 years ago

I just picked up a Flash Gordon two days ago, and I'm looking to order new rubbers. What's everyones opinion on flipper color? It looks like they came from the factory with yellow rubbers on the flippers, but I'm seeing a lot of kits with red rubbers instead. I hear the yellow ones can feel pretty soft and bouncy.

#1087 4 years ago

I'm going over this playfield and I'm planning on replacing these pop bumper mylar shields (part #: M-1787). I'm finding something similar for sale on Marco (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MFC). Does anyone have any experience with these replacements, or can you recommend a place to buy some good ones? Also, do they need to be peel & stick or are there acetate versions? Should I just remove these now and remove all the sticky residue, or should I finish up the playfield with them on and take care of them later when I get the new protectors in the mail?
pop1 (resized).jpgpop1 (resized).jpgpop2 (resized).jpgpop2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1099 4 years ago

Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the saucer kick out angle? I'm seeing in the manual that it recommends they fire in certain directions, and I'm not seeing a good way to adjust it. Plus some parts of the mechanisms are kinda loose, and there doesn't seem to be any way to tighten it up.

#1117 4 years ago

I just designed and printed some replacement score cards today. The Art Deco corners from the backglass were pretty irregular, so these are based on the ones from the promotional flyer instead. White paper seemed really bright, but I found some off white paper that gives it more of a vintage feel. I have another style in mind that I may try out if I have the time.

Flash-Gordon-Score-Cards (resized).jpgFlash-Gordon-Score-Cards (resized).jpg
#1119 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Classic look! Care to share?

Yes, sorry. I still needed to spell check everything before uploading. There is a black border around the cards that is meant to be trimmed off when cutting out.

Edit: Now that I've uploaded, it looks like they are being compressed by Pinside. You may be able to get better quality images here: https://imgur.com/a/5DBxTp7.
Flash Gordon - Instructions (resized).jpgFlash Gordon - Instructions (resized).jpgFlash Gordon - Score Card (resized).jpgFlash Gordon - Score Card (resized).jpg

#1121 4 years ago

Does anyone have a coil sleeve list? I'm not finding a list or a kit online. I could tear them all out and measure, but I'd rather only spend that time once while I'm actually replacing them.

#1124 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Bally pretty much uses 1-5/8" in everything except drop target reset coils. And those rarely wear out.

I'm not seeing that on the Marco Bally coil sleeves section: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PFLD-CSLEEVE?S_CAT2=BALLY. I think these two inchers are the closest I'm seeing: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/0017-00041-0673.

1 month later
#1132 4 years ago
earthling (resized).jpgearthling (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1139 4 years ago

Had some time today while in self-quarantine (corona), so I drew and printed a mod for the Wood Beast. This area of the playfield was always ugly to me because you can see down into the cabinet and some of the wires are visible. Also, the extra ball light seemed to be in a strange location as an indicator for the shot that you need to make. I imagined a 3D textured interior that would light up when the extra ball is lit, and drew your eye to the spot target in the back that beckons you to try the Wood Beast . Here is a slow mo video of it in action: https://i.imgur.com/HeiFQyD.mp4

Edit: I printed this in glow in the dark PLA filament, but I don't think it ever gets the light it needs to charge. It was just the closest green color that I had on hand.

IMG_2632 (resized).jpgIMG_2632 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#1264 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

they are in Germany?

I'm missing both the flash unit in the head, and the flash transformer in the cabinet. Are you saying there are some available in Germany? I haven't seen that, and would love a link.

1 month later
#1336 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Power87's playfield looks great, but the pictures of the FG playfield on CPR's website looks way off. The browns and oranges are terrible.

Yeah, the pinks and greens seem too light and vibrant, and Ming looks like he has lighter skin.

1 month later
#1407 3 years ago
Quoted from face4radio:

Has anyone had their "Shoot Again" not work? The light works in test mode but the lamp doesn't come on in gameplay ever and it we never kick my drained ball back. I've dug through tons of forums on here and most people have an issue with it staying on. Not me. Anyone have a fix?

I just had this same issue recently. It turned out to be a connector issue for me. I redid the pins and connectors on the MPU and SDB, and it fixed my problem.

Edit: I could have gone through each connector or pin to see which had the issue, but I decided to do them all instead. Also did the power board, but that was unrelated.

1 month later
#1489 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

If I can’t figure this out, I might be selling mine

I would be buying. Either a reproduction or yours.

3 weeks later
#1520 3 years ago

It looks like Marco may be working with someone to recreate the flash unit again in the future, but with LEDs this time. They have a Flash Gordon that has the flash unit in it, but they don't know the condition of the machine at the moment. It's on their radar though!

#1537 3 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Help!
I lost the two black wooden rails tht connect the upper and lower playfields together. I took my maching apart 7 years ago, and lost them. Does anyone know the dimensions of these rails? I'm need to make new ones.
Thanks,
Brad

Which one/level are you looking for?

fg rails (resized).jpgfg rails (resized).jpg
#1539 3 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

The one that starts on the playfield side and transistions to bottom side.

This should get you pretty close, but you may need to finesse it to fit your machine. I measured it so you have two solid boards that you can start with, and then I have the measurements for the areas that are cut away to fit the playfields. In the screen capture example, the bottom two boards are the starting boards with cutouts lined up, and the top two boards are with the finished cuts.

Left Side
Starting Board - 33.625 x 1.688 x 0.5 inches
Upper Cutaway - 6.625 x 0.5 x 0.5 inches
Lower Cutaway - 27.125 x 0.50 x 0.50 inches

Right Side
Starting Board - 38.00 x 1.688 x 0.5 inches
Upper Cutaway - 9.00 x 0.5 x 0.5 inches
Lower Cutaway - 24.625 in x 0.50 x 0.50 inches

Flash Gordon Rails (resized).jpgFlash Gordon Rails (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1597 3 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Because nobody submits them to us. We are a user-driven database. But I do try to do outreach on occasion, like here.

Which S&T pages are you looking for? I can scan them.

#1601 3 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Hi, I don't know what pages that wamonkey was missing but he says we don't have them. Can you please review our listing and kindly submit to us whatever you have that we don't have? It may turn out to be just what wamonkey was looking for.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=874

Please be sure to put your email address in the space provided for it at the top of the Submission Tool's main page which is the first page you see when you click on the [Submit Changes] link in the listing. That way, if I have any questions, I can contact you in that way.

Thank you.

I didn't see the schematic for the S&T board in either of the English manuals, so I scanned the missing pages, but I'm unable to upload to IPDB using the "Submit Changes" link on the Flash Gordon page. When I click on "Go directly to adding files," I get an "internal server error: the server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration." Here is a wetransfer link where you can download the PDF I created: https://we.tl/t-FXgyXGiOTq

1 week later
#1636 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

My lower right coil keeps melting. I am wondering if I wired it incorrectly after a rebuild, if anyone has time to snap a picture of the wiring there I would sincerely appreciate it, ty!

Pinside isn't successfully uploading images right now so here is a link: https://i.imgur.com/hVW4o5I.jpeg. Hopefully this helps

1 week later
#1647 3 years ago

The past couple months, I've been working with the Bally / Stern Operating System (BSOS) to re-imagine Bally's Flash Gordon game code. BSOS was created by Pinside user DickHamill, and it utilizes an Arduino Nano circuit connected to the MPUs J5 connector to take over the machine. It can easily be dual-booted between the original code and the updated code with the flip of a switch, and the whole project can be built for less than $20.

I just started a thread for this here if you are interested in more information: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2021-re-imagined-code-for-bally-flash-gordon-1981

1 month later
#1690 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The ol "Digital ink smear. "

Oh, is that because of print head movement?

#1700 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

That was CPR's excuse on it when they were questioned about it here on Pinside. They were following the example they had to work off of......

That makes me wonder if they are just using a high res scan of an old playfield that they cleaned up in Photoshop, rather than illustrating everything overtop of a scanned playfield example in Illustrator. That may explain why they have inconsistent color matching issues too. If they are in PS color correcting a whole playfield instead of just making each shape the exact color it should be in AI. Either way, this Fathom rollover/insert border issue would have been an easy bleed adjustment for them to make.

#1709 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I love it!
Think this can work with a newer mpu board like the one from Nvram?

Yes, I'm running this on an Alltek board with NVRAM installed.

3 months later
#1769 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

OK............ tell me if im crazy. I swear that I remember seeing some FGs where the drop targets in the Wood Beast shot had "Scorpion tails with stingers" printed on them, and not the sentry's like on the other drops. I mean it would make sense considering the wood beast in the movie had a scorpion type tail with a stinger.
I have looked and looked over the internet and can not find any. If they dont exist and my mind if just messing with me....... Then im def going to find a way to make some lol.
[quoted image]

You aren't crazy. I swear I saw them last night somewhere, but I can't find them now. They were green, and had gold print of the wood beast scorpion tail.

2 months later
#1812 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Need help with power supply connections.
Putting my game back together and I can't find the wire connectors that went to J3 and J4 of the power supply. Where do they come from? I feel like I'm loosing my mind.
Brad
[quoted image]

There should be a 6x4 (24 pin) connector in the backbox at the lower right side that they connect to. You should see it right away, if not I can take a pic. Just a heads up since you have a new power board there, you may want to replace the connectors that plug into as well.

#1816 2 years ago

I had old connectors that I guess were creating a lot a resistance, and as a result heat. The solder was getting hot enough to liquefy and drip from where a fuse clip was and broke the connection in the circuit. I even had a fuse heat so much that it failed on the inside breaking the circuit. Your pins may be fine, especially since half of them are new (board side).

Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Thanks for the reply.
I found an empty 6X4 connector in the back box, does the wire harness the that connects to it split into two connectors that then go the J3, 4 on the power supply board? What does EBD stand for?
Thanks,
Brad

Yes, my cable is the single 6x4 connector on one end that then splits partway into two connectors at the board (J3 and J4). EBD is Eight Ball Deluxe

1 year later
#2300 11 months ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Finally a new Flash Gordon Strobe light and board is available.
Redesigned without the troublesome old fashioned tube flash. The new led flash set up is brighter and should last "for ever".
Please note this board will only work with the original Bally boards. At the moment it will not work with Alltek boards. We are working with Alltek to fix this issue.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1026-pinball-haus/08462-flash-gordon-bally-strobe-light-and-board
[quoted image]

It would be great if you didn't need to use the extra transformer for the flash as well

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,995 (OBO)
$ 99.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bluebomber.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club?tu=bluebomber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.