I created brand new game code to re-imagine Bally's Flash Gordon with the Bally/Stern Operating System (BSOS) using an Arduino (C++). All of the code is free, you can easily change between the original game code and the new code with the flip of a switch, and the whole circuit can be built for less than $20. BSOS was created by Pinside user DickHamill, and utilizes an Arduino circuit connected to the MPUs J5 connector to take control.
All original hardware is being used, including sound generation from the Squawk & Talk board. An unused sound was found in the Flash Gordon S&T rom that I have added to the new code. You can hear it when a target hurry up is not collected and times out.
This thread, and my GitHub, will be the to two main places I keep updated with information on this project.
The game code is both available for BSOS hardware revision 1 with an Arduino Nano and revision 3 with an Arduino Mega 2560. The Nano's small program space isn't able to accomodate the newest version of BSOS or all the extra features that can fit on the Mega, so it is standalone code running on an older BSOS version. The Nano version is still considered a complete game with sound from the Squawk & Talk. It will still be supported and recieve bug fixes, but the Mega version will have the all the new features going forward.
Code for BSOS board revision 1 with Arduino Nano can be downloaded here (including instructions, printable rule cards, and version history): https://github.com/tmurren/bsos-flash-gordon-2021
Code for BSOS board revision 3 with Arduino Mega 2560 can be downloaded here (including instructions, printable rule cards, and version history): https://github.com/BallySternOS/FlashGordon2021
BSOS files, and other games re-created by Dick, can be found here: https://github.com/BallySternOS
I put together simple information/rules website for when the game is at events: https://tmurren.github.io/Flash-Gordon-2021-Info/
Updated and/or additional rules
* Skill Shot: Plunge to hit shooter lane star rollovers without entering playfield, and return to plunger. Higher rollovers score more points.
* Wizard Mode: Drop 16 targets to light wizard mode at the outlane special inserts.
* Lighting white and amber inserts next to 4 drop targets starts 15 second hurry up at corresponding target on the right.
* Collect blinking inlane to start quick hurry up at spinner (2000 a spin).
* Wood Beast target resets inline targets.
* Completing each drop target bank lights its corresponding saucer insert (4 bank - 10k, inline - 20k, and 3 bank - 30k). If Wood Beast extra ball has already been collected, light all three saucer inserts to light extra ball at saucer. Saucer always collects any and all awards available.
NEW Wizard Mode
After defeating Ming's henchmen, you are faced with battling Ming himself in this new wizard mode
* Shoot spinners for 1 attack power per spin, pop bumpers for 20 attack power per pop, and the saucer for 35 attack power
* Build attack power to 140 and light saucer to attack Emperor Ming.
* Defeat Emperor Ming by attacking three times.
Carried Over Rules
Rules from the original code that were carried over into FG2021
* Dropping inline targets lites bonus multiplier 2X and 3X, and lights extra ball at Wood Beast target.
* Dropping 1-2-3 targets 1st time lites top pop bumper. 2nd and 3rd time lites and advances top target for collect mini ring bonus and special. Also, lites 4X after 3X is lit.
* Lighting 1-2-3 flashing arrows lites mini-bonus for 50,000 and saucer for 2X.
* Dropping 4 targets 1st time lites left spinner. and the 2nd ttime lites right spinner. Also, lites 5X after 4x is lit.
* Lighting flashing amber, yellow, blue, and white inserts next to the 4 drop targets, 2 right targets, and flipper return lanes lites super-bonus for 100,000 and saucer 3X.
* Ball shooter lane rollover scores super ring bonus when single target is dropped.
* Super-bonus and mini-bonus scores are collected in outhole only.
* Ball in saucer when 2X or 3X are lit lites 15 clock seconds to increase playfield scores 2X or 3X. When both are lit 5X value is scored.
* Maximum - 1 extra ball per ball in play.
* Tilt Penalty - Ball in play.