Current Version: v1.1.0
I created brand new game code to re-imagine Bally's Flash Gordon with the Bally/Stern Operating System (BSOS) using an Arduino (C++). All of the code is free, you can easily change between the original game code and the new code with the flip of a switch, and the whole circuit can be built for less than $20. BSOS was created by Pinside user DickHamill, and utilizes an Arduino Nano circuit connected to the MPUs J5 connector to take control.
All original hardware is being used, including sound generation from the Squawk & Talk board. An unused sound was found in the Flash Gordon S&T rom that I have added to the new code. You can hear it when a target hurry up is not collected and times out.
This thread, and my GitHub, will be the to two main places I keep updated with information on this project.
The Flash Gordon 2021 code can be downloaded here (including printable rule cards): https://github.com/tmurren/bsos-flash-gordon-2021
BSOS files & instructions, and other games re-created by Dick, can be found here: https://github.com/BallySternOS
I put together simple information/rules website for when the game is at events: https://tmurren.github.io/Flash-Gordon-2021-Info/
Latest Update v1.1.0 (8/5/21): Added attract mode speech callout. "Operator Game Adjustments" section added to the top of FG2021.ino to organize user definable variables. Also, a couple new ones were added: Turn strobe on or off (off is recommended at the moment), wizard mode drop target and attack power goals, attract mode speech callout and its timing. Updated wizard mode attack power saucer insert lamp animations so they are divided equally, and can handle operator game adjustment variables. Split up coin slot 1 & 2 use and added drop sounds, and updated credit addition to function properly. Repaired issue where 2x and 3x playfield multipliers weren't stacking. Adjusted EEPROM order numbering, variables, and reading/writing. Cleaned up some variable names.
v1.0.0 (7/11/21): First full release of the code! Code version number now appears on the player 1 display when turning on the game. Added Squawk & Talk board and sound playback/handling to code. Collecting a blinking inlane now starts a quick hurry up at the opposite spinner for 2000 a spin. Refined bonus collects so they countdown and add score as they go (including repeating for bonus multipliers). Added some EEPROM variables to track gameplay achievements. Self test modes are back, and I added a sound test and EEPROM readouts (highscore, games played, skill shot levels collected, wizard modes played, and mings defeated). Squashed some lamp animation, and saucer collect bugs. Created printable score/rule cards. Ming only laughs once after tilting now.
v0.3.1 (7/11/21): Resolved compiler warnings that I wasn't previously able to see.
v0.3.0 (3/28/21): Refined wizard mode, and fixed a player addition bug after a four player game completed. After playing the wizard mode awhile, I realized that I needed to add some interest/strategy, do some balancing, and make it a little easier. The pop bumpers now score 20 attack power instead of 22, and I've added the saucer into the attack power mix at 35. The saucer now always fires down into the pop bumpers instead of up. Finally, the Ming attack goal is set to 140 instead of 152.
v0.2.0 (3/8/21): Added backglass lamp animations for "Flash Gordon" and strobe into gameplay, and fixed a bug with the 3 bank drop target completion award.
v0.1.0 (3/2/21): Base gameplay code and lamp animations have been implemented. Video of initial gameplay instructions here
Updated and/or additional rules
* Skill Shot: Plunge to hit shooter lane star rollovers without entering playfield, and return to plunger. Higher rollovers score more points.
* Wizard Mode: Drop 16 targets to light wizard mode at the outlane special inserts.
* Lighting white and amber inserts next to 4 drop targets starts 15 second hurry up at corresponding target on the right.
* Collect blinking inlane to start quick hurry up at spinner (2000 a spin).
* Wood Beast target resets inline targets.
* Completing each drop target bank lights its corresponding saucer insert (4 bank - 10k, inline - 20k, and 3 bank - 30k). If Wood Beast extra ball has already been collected, light all three saucer inserts to light extra ball at saucer. Saucer always collects any and all awards available.
NEW Wizard Mode
After defeating Ming's henchmen, you are faced with battling Ming himself in this new wizard mode
* Shoot spinners for 1 attack power per spin, pop bumpers for 20 attack power per pop, and the saucer for 35 attack power
* Build attack power to 140 and light saucer to attack Emperor Ming.
* Defeat Emperor Ming by attacking three times.
Carried Over Rules
Rules from the original code that were carried over into FG2021
* Dropping inline targets lites bonus multiplier 2X and 3X, and lights extra ball at Wood Beast target.
* Dropping 1-2-3 targets 1st time lites top pop bumper. 2nd and 3rd time lites and advances top target for collect mini ring bonus and special. Also, lites 4X after 3X is lit.
* Lighting 1-2-3 flashing arrows lites mini-bonus for 50,000 and saucer for 2X.
* Dropping 4 targets 1st time lites left spinner. and the 2nd ttime lites right spinner. Also, lites 5X after 4x is lit.
* Lighting flashing amber, yellow, blue, and white inserts next to the 4 drop targets, 2 right targets, and flipper return lanes lites super-bonus for 100,000 and saucer 3X.
* Ball shooter lane rollover scores super ring bonus when single target is dropped.
* Super-bonus and mini-bonus scores are collected in outhole only.
* Ball in saucer when 2X or 3X are lit lites 15 clock seconds to increase playfield scores 2X or 3X. When both are lit 5X value is scored.
* Maximum - 1 extra ball per ball in play.
* Tilt Penalty - Ball in play.