IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6256 (resized).jpeg
Thumbnail (resized).png
IMG_20240228_124335477 (resized).jpg
66277047031__BE249FBD-B8DB-45D1-8EC8-5FE147B2324B (resized).jpeg
IMG_6646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6619 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider i_p_d_b.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1596 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I don’t know why IPDB is missing Squawk and Talk pages....

Because nobody submits them to us. We are a user-driven database. But I do try to do outreach on occasion, like here.

#1599 3 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Which S&T pages are you looking for? I can scan them.

Hi, I don't know what pages that wamonkey was missing but he says we don't have them. Can you please review our listing and kindly submit to us whatever you have that we don't have? It may turn out to be just what wamonkey was looking for.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=874

Please be sure to put your email address in the space provided for it at the top of the Submission Tool's main page which is the first page you see when you click on the [Submit Changes] link in the listing. That way, if I have any questions, I can contact you in that way.

Thank you.

#1600 3 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Come on now, I submitted corrected D&D manuals and the parts manual and they have not been updated or added and that was over 2 years ago.

Hi, I presume you mean Dungeons and Dragons? I looked in our submission queue and have nothing there for that game. For me to sit on something for that long would mean I'd have sent an email to the submitter (if email address was provided) and had not yet received a response. In addition to no submission in queue, I have no emails issued for this game.

Too often, people who submit items using our Submission Tool do not return to its main page to scroll down to the bottom to click "Submit Update for Review". Instead they X'd their browser window which aborts the submission and we never see it. Is it possible this happened to you? This happened to two different users within the last month, in fact.

We added a Parts Manual back in 2002 but it sounds like yours is different?

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=743

I have no emails in archives from anyone in the last several years asking for status of their D&D submission.

Please consider submitting your items again.

This is a good time for me to again let everyone know that I am quite approachable via email if ever you feel your submission is overdue to appear, or you just want status. You are not bothering me if you do this. I cheerfully encourage such emails because it is much preferable than allowing animus to build up.

Thank you.

#1603 3 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I didn't see the schematic for the S&T board in either of the English manuals, so I scanned the missing pages, but I'm unable to upload to IPDB using the "Submit Changes" link on the Flash Gordon page. When I click on "Go directly to adding files," I get an "internal server error: the server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration." Here is a wetransfer link where you can download the PDF I created: https://we.tl/t-FXgyXGiOTq

Yeah, unscheduled downtime. It gives me time to jet back over here and see what's happening.

Thanks for the link. I downloaded one schematic split into two images, marked SQUAWK & TALK SCHEMATIC AS, Model Number 1215, final date 1-9-81. The schematic Part Number is pretty smudged in both appearances of it but looks like W-1250.

I'll add it to our manual that we labeled "English Manual (Squawk & Talk Assy, missing pages 21 & 25, paginated schematics)" since I believe that's where users would look for it. Curious that it was missing.

Thank you.

#1604 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I don’t know why IPDB is missing Squawk and Talk pages....

Quoted from I_P_D_B:

I'll add it to our manual that we labeled "English Manual (Squawk & Talk Assy, missing pages 21 & 25, paginated schematics)" since I believe that's where users would look for it. Curious that it was missing.

It's now in that manual. Thank you, bluebomber.

Jay
IPDB

2 months later
#1711 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Might be a reasonable idea then to improve the submissions interface to avoid this?

Think about it. There's no way I know of for a website to remove the X from a computer's browser. If that is the person's habit to click the X, then that is what they will do. Do you log off of your websites, or do you always click the X?

Besides, people who use websites should know by now to look for the elegant way to exit a screen, especially something interactive like our interface. I'm sure if I ever decide to switch over to submitting my federal tax return via computer instead of USPS, I can just bet that clicking my browser's X is not going to send my info to the IRS. Do I sound reasonable in thinking that?

How anyone can overlook the flashing arrow at the top of our submission main page to prefer to inelegantly click the browser X will probably have to be a sign of the strength of their bad habit or else be one of the mysteries of life, I suppose. I'm just saying that this happens sometimes, or at least that is the reason later given to me by those few.

Thank you.

#1716 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I work in SW development and when a user-interface consistently leads to user confusion or mistakes, we change it.
It's not about the "why", you've noted it happens a fair amount resulting in an overall negative impact to the contributions to the site. Yes, some people can't be trained, etc. Maybe you could remove the "X" button altogether and force them to CANCEL or SAVE?
Just trying to help.

That's my fault the shorthand way I wrote that. I can't say consistently or even frequently. When I said it happens too often, I meant of the few times people ask about their submission to find out it never arrived, and the few times of those times that we both stick around to discuss what could have happened, too often of those few times the reason they give is they clicked the X. Or they don't remember but only decide that's what they must have done. Does that make sense? I can't claim an overall negative impact. It's few.

Am I hearing you correctly that the browser's X in the upper right corner can be removed? I wouldn't think that possible. Isn't that proprietary to the browser? Yet, that's what you wrote, so I can mention it to the webmaster to see what he says. Thank you.

#1719 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You do explain at the top they must hit the Submit For Review bottom at the bottom, but maybe something could be done to make the button much larger/more prevalent?

We are talking about people who have uploaded their images which means they have already clicked on a series of similarly-sized buttons to have uploaded them, so it's not like they'd scroll down and say, "Gee, I can't find that Submit button and I don't know what to look for!". It's there in plain sight, clearly labeled, right where we said it would be. Rather, they just didn't read the statement placed before them with the flashing arrow telling them what to do, or maybe they did notice it when they first opened the interface but were more compelled by habit to click the X when they were done. We cannot fix either situation. That's on them, small few that they are.

I created this conversation so you would not think your advice was ignored and that you might not continue to think we had something on us to fix. I hope sticking with you on this has explained it sufficiently. Thank you. Over and out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 199.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
$ 90.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Boards
Troxel Repair
Boards
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 45.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 99.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 45.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider i_p_d_b.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club?tu=i_p_d_b and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.