IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6256 (resized).jpeg
Thumbnail (resized).png
IMG_20240228_124335477 (resized).jpg
66277047031__BE249FBD-B8DB-45D1-8EC8-5FE147B2324B (resized).jpeg
IMG_6646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6619 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#459 7 years ago

Hi all, I'm looking to join the Flash Gordon club, but there doesn't seem to be any available in my local area.

If anyone has one they might be ready to part with I am open to a straight sale or also have a decent Black Knight or a players Class of 1812 I'd be willing to trade.

Thx.

1 month later
#470 7 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

... the Bell Games playfield is different from the Bally one in a couple of places. Can you spot them?

The arrow inserts are round with arrows printed on them instead of being arrow shaped and none of the inserts are completely translucent.

Do I win???

I'll PM you my address so you can ship me my "prize" FG that's just sitting in your friends garage...

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

The inlane guides and pop bumper bodies are different.

Don't know how I missed that!

The plastic posts aren't faceted like the Bally ones either.

1 month later
#476 7 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Gentlemen, looking at installing some LED's on a Flash Gordon I am restoring, just wondering if anyone has a list?
Thanks

I am also doing this now!

FG has very lightly colored translucent inserts so I'm leaning toward using a single LED clear retro bulb for those, partially based on this comment from another LED thread:

Quoted from dothedoo:

I like the retro clear warm white in early EM and SS inserts. I think they look closest to incandescents with the brightness about equal to a 44.
I don't like frosted because they look like a glowing orb under translucent inserts. The clears, having the thin LED, can almost pull off the look of an incandescent filament.

For GI not sure either sunlight or warm white, possibly 2 smd?

I'm a traditionalist so colored GI is out, looking for a brighter version of incandescent basically.

#477 7 years ago

Was hoping for some feedback on what a good fit is for FG GI LEDs would be before the Comet sale ends today...

Anyone have any suggestions based on their experiences?

#479 7 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

1 led retro. Warm white for all, except color match red, blue, green.
You'll need the boards from seigecraft (also having a sale) to make them not flicker

Thanks. Same for the GI, or is it okay to go with something brighter there, Warm White?

#481 7 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Something brighter will be okay. Probably stick with warm white or sunlight. I like the 2led comfort from comet. But to each his own.
Oh, and everything needs to be frosted-both GI and controlled

Okay, thanks for the help - order placed!

I went with clear for the more translucent inserts (Orange, Green, Blue), I've liked that combination better on other games.
I also went with Sunlight for the GI bulbs, as I don't have much experience with those. If they don't light the plastics with a warm enough color temp. I'll swap them out for Warm Whites, which I can source locally. And I used 1 SMD warm white frosted for the rollover switches, based on a recommendation in another thread.

That's the thing I hate about LEDs, you have to bet on the ones that will look good on your machine, or order way too many and spend way to much $.

Thanks again!

1 year later
#615 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Does anyone repair the original Bally strobe boards? Mine never has worked and had the world's largest wasp nest on it when I bought it. Would rather repair the original than get a reproduction board if possible.

That’s an interesting “back story” for your game. Kind of makes restoring that board worth it just so you can tell the tale.

Got any pics?

7 months later
#694 5 years ago

I'm putting a project PF back together for a game I traded for, so I don't have much documentation on what the PF looked like before it was stripped to have an overlay installed.

Was wondering if anyone can let me know where the brass "plastic holder" type screws are supposed to go vs. the silver ones, or are they interchangeable? Also, are the screws (2 shown in the centre below) without threads near the heads for the rails?

Screws (resized).JPGScrews (resized).JPG
#696 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I just reassembled my top side after a hard top installation. The brass studs are used where there is a clear plastic below the silk-screened Plastics. Behind the three Bank drop Targets on the upper Playfield and on the right side of the upper Playfield behind the two-star rollovers. The other two I believe are under the try the wood Beast plastic. You should have some gray plastic Half Inch spacers that go on top of the clear plastic piece.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That hardtop looks amazing!

Thanks a bunch.

#699 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Couple more pictures. And I think your middle screws are for rails.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Much appreciated!

1 week later
#729 5 years ago

Hey guys I’m finishing up my restore project FG that I traded for and I just realized that I’m missing the entire ball kickout coil mechanism.

I don’t have any of it, no mounting bracket, no coil, and no metal kick arm to push the ball out of the trough and into the shooter lane.

Does anyone know if these parts are available anywhere?

#735 5 years ago
Quoted from rack-em-up:

There is a used assembly for a SILVERBALL MANIA on ebay right now. It looks to be the same as the AS-2694-3 assembly shown in the Bally 1980-1 parts catalog. Looks like it should work in a Flash Gordon.

Thanks guys!

Fortunately I was able to find mine yesterday after an extensive search. That's the problem when you start a project like this and don't finish it for a couple of years, the parts can go for a walk.

#737 5 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I started restoring my STTNG and life got in the way. Eight years later, I was done. Found all the parts.

...I stripped my IJ PF about 3.5 years ago to have it clear-coated and it's next on the list after FG.

2 weeks later
#753 4 years ago

Can someone please post a pic showing how the spring is connected to the single drop down target assembly?

Mine is missing and I can't seem to figure it out.

#755 4 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Hopefully this picture will help
[quoted image]

Thanks a bunch. It's strange though with that mount point it doesn't seem like the spring would be able to apply any pressure on the target. I'll try it and see.

1 week later
#799 4 years ago

Does anybody know if the targets on this era of Bally games ever used backing foam?

Finishing up my FG restore and none of my stand-up targets have foam behind them. Wondering if I should add it or if it it's considered "as intended" without it?

#810 4 years ago

Can somebody please post a pic of how their right lower flipper switches are wired?

My game never had this connected and was missing the second switch that triggers the upper right flipper when it's activated so I don't have a reference pic.

I assume that the switch that triggers the upper right flipper switch should be closed by the eos switch on the lower right flipper when it opens, correct? But how do the switches mount to the flipper assembly? And which wires are which?

#815 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

No Bally/Midway pinball's had backing foam in any standup targets.
Only when Williams bought Bally/midway, did the games have the backing foam.

Perfect - thanks.

#823 4 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

Hope this helps![quoted image]

It *might*. I'll need to review my setup with that pin in hand and go from there. Away for Easter right now.

Thanks!

#843 4 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Still looking for solutions to this saucer up kicker problem if anyone can help. I’ve tried bending/adjusting the kicker arm to no avail. I’ve double checked the coils are correct. I removed the coil spacer thing to introduce some more “slop”. Ball still pops up into glass. 90% of time it bounces straight back to saucer too...boring.

Strange that it wouldn't be more directional. Maybe try adding a few washers between the saucer mech and the underside of the PF to lower it a bit.?

#844 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Strange that it wouldn't be more directional. Maybe try adding a few washers between the saucer mech and the underside of the PF to lower it a bit.?

And post a few pics of how it looks mounted, possible it's mounted "backwards? vs how it was orientated originally?

8 months later
#1114 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Speaking of the strobe.... I have the new [now about one or two years old] aftermarket version and I have replaced all of my other boards, except sound, with Alltek. When I plug in the strobe, it strobes fine and dandy while the game works, but eventually, things start to go a bit nuts and the game gets all funky. Stuff like the sound not finishing or starting phrases, the game resetting, locking up or not starting a new game. Completely random stuff. It seems very counterintutuve that plugging in the strobe would do this, but I have just given up and unplugged the strobe - and when I do this, the game works perfectly without it. The folks at Alter and the fellow that made the aftermarket strobe [can't remember the company name] are at a loss. Any ideas?

Does the issue happen at exactly the same event/time, or sort of randomly?
Maybe a grounding issue? Are the strobe board and the strobe assembly robustly grounded to the game's ground braid, as well as the rest of the boards?

#1118 4 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I just designed and printed some replacement score cards today. The Art Deco corners from the backglass were pretty irregular, so these are based on the ones from the promotional flyer instead. White paper seemed really bright, but I found some off white paper that gives it more of a vintage feel. I have another style in mind that I may try out if I have the time.[quoted image]

Classic look! Care to share?

#1120 4 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Yes, sorry. I still needed to spell check everything before uploading. There is a black border around the cards that is meant to be trimmed off when cutting out.
Edit: Now that I've uploaded, it looks like they are being compressed by Pinside. You may be able to get better quality images here: https://imgur.com/a/5DBxTp7.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks!

6 months later
#1297 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Hey I posted in VID1900’s forum on upgrading flippers and I want to upgrade my Flash Gordon project as I restore it to the newer non-linear flippers....

Not trying to be negative but installing Williams flippers on a classic Bally is not "restore to newer non-linear flippers". It's a hack to avoid future maintenance on a location game that would see many thousands of plays.

IMHO, there is absolutely no reason to not just install fresh linear flipper mechanics. The game will play fantastic and remain authentic to its original design.

Of course, it's your game so do what you want with it.

#1300 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Trust me I respect your opinion but I have to buy all new stuff (it was a $300 project FG - the mechs were removed, even the plates) and VID1900 recommended it just because it is a tighter more modern feel. I did it before on a Gorgar and it made a huge difference for an older game. I have owned more Williams than Bally pins so linear flippers are just different and I have to buy everything anyway I was just going to try and upgrade it as much as I can with modern stuff. It will not be an original FG, I will have a hardtop on it, new stencils, new LED displays. I took this on as a COVID project to keep myself busy and engaged in something I enjoy doing.
If you read VID1900's forum on the upgrade all kinds of Pinsiders upgraded all kinds of machines, just think it is worth a try on Flash Gordon.

New mechs will make a huge difference on an older game for sure, whether they are Williams or Classic Bally.

I'm just saying you're going through the trouble of restoring the PF, etc. I think you'll find a new set of Bally flipper mechs will play awesome and keep the game "authentic" in feel. I just finished my FG project with new Bally mechs and there is zero issue with flipper strength, etc. Also, if I were looking to buy a nicely restored FG such as yours will be once it is done, I'd count Williams flippers as a negative and replace them with Ballys or avoid the deal for that reason.

Anyway, I don't have any info on your original question so I'll butt out now.

Good luck with your project.

1 month later
#1414 3 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Hi y'all. New FG owner here, pretty excited! I get pretty ocd with my games and want everything to work perfectly. The following give lights are always on, whether in attract mode or game. I suspect they are controlled lamps that should flicker in attract mode, and otherwise turn on and off, and I have some lamp drivers to replace. But wanted to check first. Can someone please confirm?[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, the bottom two pop bumpers are always on (part of the GI string), as are the top left rollover lanes.
Your blue collect bonus light probably has a bad transistor on the light board. Check the light board schematics to find out which one it is and replace.

#1416 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Yes, the bottom two pop bumpers are always on (part of the GI string), as are the top left rollover lanes.
Your blue collect bonus light probably has a bad transistor on the light board. Check the light board schematics to find out which one it is and replace.

Oh, and to confirm, the top pop bumper should flash on and off, and not be always on.

1 month later
#1517 3 years ago

Okay my FG has developed an issue. Was working 100%, but now when it boots it makes the siren sound like 6 times and then just the low freq. Whaaa sound. When it was working properly it would make a two-tone Waaa, waaa sound.

Also, when I play a game, after ball one ends, it fails to increment the ball in play counter to ball 2, it does so after the second ball is ended, and then also after that for balls 2 and 3. So every game you get two "Ball 1"s. Strange.

3 months later
#1650 3 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Too often, people who submit items using our Submission Tool do not return to its main page to scroll down to the bottom to click "Submit Update for Review". Instead they X'd their browser window which aborts the submission and we never see it. Is it possible this happened to you? This happened to two different users within the last month, in fact.

Might be a reasonable idea then to improve the submissions interface to avoid this?

1 month later
#1712 2 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Think about it. There's no way I know of for a website to remove the X from a computer's browser. If that is the person's habit to click the X, then that is what they will do. Do you log off of your websites, or do you always click the X?
Besides, people who use websites should know by now to look for the elegant way to exit a screen, especially something interactive like our interface. I'm sure if I ever decide to switch over to submitting my federal tax return via computer instead of USPS, I can just bet that clicking my browser's X is not going to send my info to the IRS. Do I sound reasonable in thinking that?
How anyone can overlook the flashing arrow at the top of our submission main page to prefer to inelegantly click the browser X will probably have to be a sign of the strength of their bad habit or else be one of the mysteries of life, I suppose. I'm just saying that this happens sometimes, or at least that is the reason later given to me by those few.
Thank you.

I work in SW development and when a user-interface consistently leads to user confusion or mistakes, we change it.

It's not about the "why", you've noted it happens a fair amount resulting in an overall negative impact to the contributions to the site. Yes, some people can't be trained, etc. Maybe you could remove the "X" button altogether and force them to CANCEL or SAVE?

Just trying to help.

#1714 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Okay my FG has developed an issue. Was working 100%, but now when it boots it makes the siren sound like 6 times and then just the low freq. Whaaa sound. When it was working properly it would make a two-tone Waaa, waaa sound.
Also, when I play a game, after ball one ends, it fails to increment the ball in play counter to ball 2, it does so after the second ball is ended, and then also after that for balls 2 and 3. So every game you get two "Ball 1"s. Strange.

Clearing the memory via the coin door switch + S33 on the MPU board for every setting has solved the issue where it would kick out 2 balls for ball 1. However, I'm still hearing the odd startup sounds.

What are the correct startup sounds? Just "Flash!" speech and then a "Whaaa" tone and that's it?

Any suggestions?

#1717 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Why are there two balls in your FG?
Or is it just trying to kick out another?

Lol. Whoops, poor choice of words. I have one ball only (in my FG...).

My game is set to 3 balls but after ball 1 drained it would kick out the ball but not increment the ball in play counter to 2, but only for the first ball of the game, in effect giving me a 4 ball game instead of 3. Very odd. But resolved now after clearing memory.

#1718 2 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

That's my fault the shorthand way I wrote that. I can't say consistently or even frequently. When I said it happens too often, I meant of the few times people ask about their submission to find out it never arrived, and the few times of those times that we both stick around to discuss what could have happened, too often of those few times the reason they give is they clicked the X. Or they don't remember but only decide that's what they must have done. Does that make sense? I can't claim an overall negative impact. It's few.
Am I hearing you correctly that the browser's X in the upper right corner can be removed? I wouldn't think that possible. Isn't that proprietary to the browser? Yet, that's what you wrote, so I can mention it to the webmaster to see what he says. Thank you.

No, you can't stop the user from closing the window altogether. I just submitted a change to see how the process works, and it is pretty involved.
You do explain at the top they must hit the Submit For Review bottom at the bottom, but maybe something could be done to make the button much larger/more prevalent? It just sounded like you had a known usability issue so why not address it.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread further.

4 weeks later
#1729 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The strobe light on my FG isn’t working. Is there any detailed instructions somewhere on how to fix it?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally_Strobe_Board

9 months later
#1898 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

FYI I've discovered this YouTube video where in the comments someone explains that this could be a 5v supply issue:

Looking into that now.

1 year later
#2215 1 year ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Here’s a few pics… Anyone seen this before?
CPR is gonna take a look and get back to me. Ive always used their plastics and never had an issue before, prolly just a bad sheet.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Never seen that before. You *sure* you removed ALL the protective plastic wrap stuff? It looks like there might still be another layer on there.

1 month later
#2283 10 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright my Flash Gordan stopped working recently, the outhole doesn't kick the ball out. Does anyone have a picture of the switch matrix for this game? What switches are tied to the outhole? Thanks!

I assume you looked underneath to see that all the wires are still connected to the coil/switch?

6 months later
#2587 4 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

You can also slide the shooting casting upward when you loosen it, then reinstall the small screw that locates it.

Can you expand on this? My shooter is also problematic on this game.

2 months later
#2696 59 days ago

I prefer the authentic feel of rebuilt linear flippers. What's next, hot gluing a LCD screen on the backglass?

#2699 58 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Nope just the flippers. Why would you put an LCD screen on it?

I'm exaggerating to make a point. Changing the flipper mechs will change the entire feel of the game. Inauthentic. If you love Williams mechs so much, go play a Williams game. Of course, it's your game, do what you want. I don't have to like it.

#2729 53 days ago
Quoted from rack-em-up:

Looking for the 5 rollover wireforms used in Flash Gordon. I have a few wireforms from other games but they are too wide to fit in a Flash Gordon playfield. Attached is a picture of one that I pulled out of my FG earlier today. Any leads on where to buy them would be greatly appreciated.
[quoted image]

I could use a couple of these for my Big Game as well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball
Cabinet parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club?tu=fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.