cb10f7375cbe8cf1b85f25c6b3a92cadd67a65ab.jpeg.jpg
20210419_155101 (resized).jpg
20210419_155019 (resized).jpg
20210417_164014 (resized).jpg
20210417_134456 (resized).jpg
D4EFB377-B1CA-47A9-A58D-C34538D2F4B3 (resized).jpeg
20210221_211024 (resized).jpg
43F10491-3BF8-4B58-9C6C-EB89128559F8 (resized).jpeg

There are 1723 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 35.
#1701 11 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I did mine over the holiday season, and it took me about a month off/on, with a lot of time waiting for parts that I hadn't ordered beforehand. I had already gone through all of the mechs and everything was playing 100% when I first acquired the game. It was pretty much a straight transfer...

Thanks for all the info, really helpful! Did you have any issues with the clear cracking when you pre-drilled? My friend recommended doing the sway sooner rather than later so the clear is still slightly soft and less likely to crack or chip.

Also, where did you source the replacement lamp sockets?

#1702 11 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Thanks for all the info, really helpful! Did you have any issues with the clear cracking when you pre-drilled? My friend recommended doing the sway sooner rather than later so the clear is still slightly soft and less likely to crack or chip.
Also, where did you source the replacement lamp sockets?

If you use a brand new drill bit, then you shouldn't have any clear cracking when you drill. I did my swap about 6-8 months after I got it, so I assume it was fully cured by the time I did it. If the clear does crack, that's where Kruzman's playfield kit comes into play, and yes, I had to use his kit, unfortunately. But ultimately, the worst of it is under posts and etc, so not visible when fully populated.

For lamp sockets, I got them on a website called Surplus Sales of Nebraska. The only thing with those was that they had surface rust on them, and the tabs are electrically isolated, so I had to do some extra soldering and had some sockets that had brittle bases. But I still got them all to work.

#1703 11 days ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

The past couple months, I've been working with the Bally / Stern Operating System (BSOS) to re-imagine Bally's Flash Gordon game code. BSOS was created by Pinside user DickHamill, and it utilizes an Arduino Nano circuit connected to the MPUs J5 connector to take over the machine. It can easily be dual-booted between the original code and the updated code with the flip of a switch, and the whole project can be built for less than $20.
I just started a thread for this here if you are interested in more information: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2021-re-imagined-code-for-bally-flash-gordon-1981

I love it!

Think this can work with a newer mpu board like the one from Nvram?

#1704 10 days ago

A friend made me these sweet FG apron cards...Emperor Ming awaits
43D8FFA9-68F0-4489-8B08-41B519F437C2 (resized).jpeg

#1705 9 days ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I had a similar issue on my FG, turned out to be a factory wiring error. The light would work in lamp test mode but never in game play. The wire was off by one position in it connector at the lamp board.</blockquot

[quoted image]

Awesome! Have a file that somebody could.. borrow?

#1706 9 days ago
Quoted from Isjack:

Awesome! Have a file that somebody could.. borrow?

Does yours work in test? IPDB.org has the manuals and schematics. If you need help reading it I can help you out.

#1707 9 days ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

[quoted image]

Those I like. How would someone get those?

#1708 9 days ago

Looking forward to joining the club!
I've just purchased an italian assembled bell games flash gordon from a local collection here
Just waiting on delivery
It's a nice original condition survivor,
Sold my nice fish tales to fund f.g.
Looking forward to Ming kicking my ass

IMG_20210502_120620 (resized).jpg
#1709 9 days ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I love it!
Think this can work with a newer mpu board like the one from Nvram?

Yes, I'm running this on an Alltek board with NVRAM installed.

#1710 9 days ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

Looking forward to joining the club!
I've just purchased an italian assembled bell games flash gordon from a local collection here
Just waiting on delivery
It's a nice original condition survivor,
Sold my nice fish tales to fund f.g.
Looking forward to Ming kicking my ass

Congrats.

Try the Wood Beast!

#1711 9 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Might be a reasonable idea then to improve the submissions interface to avoid this?

Think about it. There's no way I know of for a website to remove the X from a computer's browser. If that is the person's habit to click the X, then that is what they will do. Do you log off of your websites, or do you always click the X?

Besides, people who use websites should know by now to look for the elegant way to exit a screen, especially something interactive like our interface. I'm sure if I ever decide to switch over to submitting my federal tax return via computer instead of USPS, I can just bet that clicking my browser's X is not going to send my info to the IRS. Do I sound reasonable in thinking that?

How anyone can overlook the flashing arrow at the top of our submission main page to prefer to inelegantly click the browser X will probably have to be a sign of the strength of their bad habit or else be one of the mysteries of life, I suppose. I'm just saying that this happens sometimes, or at least that is the reason later given to me by those few.

Thank you.

#1712 8 days ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Think about it. There's no way I know of for a website to remove the X from a computer's browser. If that is the person's habit to click the X, then that is what they will do. Do you log off of your websites, or do you always click the X?
Besides, people who use websites should know by now to look for the elegant way to exit a screen, especially something interactive like our interface. I'm sure if I ever decide to switch over to submitting my federal tax return via computer instead of USPS, I can just bet that clicking my browser's X is not going to send my info to the IRS. Do I sound reasonable in thinking that?
How anyone can overlook the flashing arrow at the top of our submission main page to prefer to inelegantly click the browser X will probably have to be a sign of the strength of their bad habit or else be one of the mysteries of life, I suppose. I'm just saying that this happens sometimes, or at least that is the reason later given to me by those few.
Thank you.

I work in SW development and when a user-interface consistently leads to user confusion or mistakes, we change it.

It's not about the "why", you've noted it happens a fair amount resulting in an overall negative impact to the contributions to the site. Yes, some people can't be trained, etc. Maybe you could remove the "X" button altogether and force them to CANCEL or SAVE?

Just trying to help.

#1713 8 days ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Does yours work in test? IPDB.org has the manuals and schematics. If you need help reading it I can help you out.

Ah sorry was referencing those cards. I am still tracking down some lamp issues but I'll get there once the parts arrive.

#1714 8 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Okay my FG has developed an issue. Was working 100%, but now when it boots it makes the siren sound like 6 times and then just the low freq. Whaaa sound. When it was working properly it would make a two-tone Waaa, waaa sound.
Also, when I play a game, after ball one ends, it fails to increment the ball in play counter to ball 2, it does so after the second ball is ended, and then also after that for balls 2 and 3. So every game you get two "Ball 1"s. Strange.

Clearing the memory via the coin door switch + S33 on the MPU board for every setting has solved the issue where it would kick out 2 balls for ball 1. However, I'm still hearing the odd startup sounds.

What are the correct startup sounds? Just "Flash!" speech and then a "Whaaa" tone and that's it?

Any suggestions?

#1715 8 days ago

Why are there two balls in your FG?

Or is it just trying to kick out another?

#1716 8 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I work in SW development and when a user-interface consistently leads to user confusion or mistakes, we change it.
It's not about the "why", you've noted it happens a fair amount resulting in an overall negative impact to the contributions to the site. Yes, some people can't be trained, etc. Maybe you could remove the "X" button altogether and force them to CANCEL or SAVE?
Just trying to help.

That's my fault the shorthand way I wrote that. I can't say consistently or even frequently. When I said it happens too often, I meant of the few times people ask about their submission to find out it never arrived, and the few times of those times that we both stick around to discuss what could have happened, too often of those few times the reason they give is they clicked the X. Or they don't remember but only decide that's what they must have done. Does that make sense? I can't claim an overall negative impact. It's few.

Am I hearing you correctly that the browser's X in the upper right corner can be removed? I wouldn't think that possible. Isn't that proprietary to the browser? Yet, that's what you wrote, so I can mention it to the webmaster to see what he says. Thank you.

#1717 8 days ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Why are there two balls in your FG?
Or is it just trying to kick out another?

Lol. Whoops, poor choice of words. I have one ball only (in my FG...).

My game is set to 3 balls but after ball 1 drained it would kick out the ball but not increment the ball in play counter to 2, but only for the first ball of the game, in effect giving me a 4 ball game instead of 3. Very odd. But resolved now after clearing memory.

#1718 8 days ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

That's my fault the shorthand way I wrote that. I can't say consistently or even frequently. When I said it happens too often, I meant of the few times people ask about their submission to find out it never arrived, and the few times of those times that we both stick around to discuss what could have happened, too often of those few times the reason they give is they clicked the X. Or they don't remember but only decide that's what they must have done. Does that make sense? I can't claim an overall negative impact. It's few.
Am I hearing you correctly that the browser's X in the upper right corner can be removed? I wouldn't think that possible. Isn't that proprietary to the browser? Yet, that's what you wrote, so I can mention it to the webmaster to see what he says. Thank you.

No, you can't stop the user from closing the window altogether. I just submitted a change to see how the process works, and it is pretty involved.
You do explain at the top they must hit the Submit For Review bottom at the bottom, but maybe something could be done to make the button much larger/more prevalent? It just sounded like you had a known usability issue so why not address it.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread further.

#1719 6 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You do explain at the top they must hit the Submit For Review bottom at the bottom, but maybe something could be done to make the button much larger/more prevalent?

We are talking about people who have uploaded their images which means they have already clicked on a series of similarly-sized buttons to have uploaded them, so it's not like they'd scroll down and say, "Gee, I can't find that Submit button and I don't know what to look for!". It's there in plain sight, clearly labeled, right where we said it would be. Rather, they just didn't read the statement placed before them with the flashing arrow telling them what to do, or maybe they did notice it when they first opened the interface but were more compelled by habit to click the X when they were done. We cannot fix either situation. That's on them, small few that they are.

I created this conversation so you would not think your advice was ignored and that you might not continue to think we had something on us to fix. I hope sticking with you on this has explained it sufficiently. Thank you. Over and out.

#1720 6 days ago

I'm looking for this part in the ball return area. Does anyone know a part number for this part, or better yet maybe you have an extra one laying around?

Thanks,
Brad

BALL RETURN copy (resized).jpg
#1721 2 days ago

I can't seem to locate a source for the upper right flipper for FG. The manual says the part number is ASE 2214-29, anyone have a different part number or know of a source?

#1722 1 day ago
Quoted from zahner:

I can't seem to locate a source for the upper right flipper for FG. The manual says the part number is ASE 2214-29, anyone have a different part number or know of a source?

I purchased a set of them from PBR years ago....helped that I needed the other side for Paragon

#C609-SETX Black is the part number for the set

http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html

#1723 1 day ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I purchased a set of them from PBR years ago....helped that I needed the other side for Paragon
#C609-SETX Black is the part number for the set
http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html

Perfect. Thanks. Couldn’t find the short ones. PBR it is.

There are 1723 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside