IMG_6253 (resized).jpg
IMG_6254 (resized).jpg
c928de729783bf855db2c4fad7afdbee637c54ed (resized).jpg
cc89192186c76bbcfae62d319969e24fd9478da8 (resized).jpg
N-68X (resized).jpg
Big Daddy Flash (resized).png
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 57.
#1451 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I will post a pic of my board...
You guys can check my work....
The wiring looks all the same...

Pictures of the sound board will help. Depending what it came out of you may need to install extra chips or remove some. Also every jumper needs to be checked. I had to do that on a spare S&T that I rebuilt a while ago.

Last Flash Gordon sound card I fixed had multiple issues. It ended up needing a new DAC chip.

Be sure to check all the voltages on the sound board too.

#1452 3 years ago

Here is the sound board...looks right to the diagrams I got...

2BE30B43-6933-4500-B7B7-265A68DE7670 (resized).jpeg2BE30B43-6933-4500-B7B7-265A68DE7670 (resized).jpeg8099F0A5-10B6-4FBD-93D5-FBB4A033636F (resized).jpeg8099F0A5-10B6-4FBD-93D5-FBB4A033636F (resized).jpegA227DEA2-8B2E-4E18-9B0D-9CB8F737B5F0 (resized).jpegA227DEA2-8B2E-4E18-9B0D-9CB8F737B5F0 (resized).jpegCEFD9CDA-518C-4389-9F4B-6D99067C756B (resized).jpegCEFD9CDA-518C-4389-9F4B-6D99067C756B (resized).jpeg
#1453 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Some of the connectors aren't in the right positions.
Check the connector diagrams again and write down the wire colors at each pin so you can correct it.

Otherwise the board looks like it's jumpered correctly.

#1454 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Pictures of the sound board will help. Depending what it came out of you may need to install extra chips or remove some. Also every jumper needs to be checked. I had to do that on a spare S&T that I rebuilt a while ago.
Last Flash Gordon sound card I fixed had multiple issues. It ended up needing a new DAC chip.
Be sure to check all the voltages on the sound board too.

The S & T when used in FG does not use the DAC. You can leave it in or remove it. Doesn’t matter.

#1455 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

The S & T when used in FG does not use the DAC. You can leave it in or remove it. Doesn’t matter.

I wanted to check the difference in sound but you can't find repro S&T boards right?

#1456 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I wanted to check the difference in sound but you can't find repro S&T boards right?

Two repros available from Europe:

https://coinop.mally.eu/produkt.php?parent=3&kategorie=7064&content=BALLY%20Repros
https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

#1457 3 years ago

Wow. Over $300 plus shipping

#1458 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your [ J1 ] connector!!!! OUCH!!!

#1459 3 years ago

Yes, there should really only be one Molex housing at J1, not three

#1460 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Your [ J1 ] connector!!!! OUCH!!!

Quoted from jj44114:

Yes, there should really only be one Molex housing at J1, not three

Oh I know - reworking it tonight I think. I said it was hacked. I want to replace as many plugs as I can just because it will make the game more dependable.

#1463 3 years ago

With the help if the group - all cleaned up.

69C3BFA2-1064-4F60-9BE9-6CB7E0B40583 (resized).jpeg69C3BFA2-1064-4F60-9BE9-6CB7E0B40583 (resized).jpeg
#1464 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

With the help if the group - all cleaned up.
[quoted image]

Did you get the caps separately or did someone sell you a kit? Just wonder who is selling kits with those style caps. Those should have been all Axial caps. I think Big Daddy sells kits with the correct axial versions. I personally dislike installing radial caps like that unless there is no other choice. I don't like the way they stand off the board with their leads mounted so far away. They are fine with the holes right under the cap but never meant to be mounted like that. While they will function it just isn't right. My Elektra was the same way when I got it and stripped all of those off and redid them. Here is a picture with the caps from Big Daddy on the last sound board I went through.

STrecap (resized).jpgSTrecap (resized).jpg
#1465 3 years ago

Did you get the caps separately or did someone sell you a kit? Just wonder who is selling kits with those style caps. Those should have been all Axial caps. I think Big Daddy sells kits with the correct axial versions. I personally dislike installing radial caps like that unless there is no other choice. I don't like the way they stand off the board with their leads mounted so far away. They are fine with the holes right under the cap but never meant to be mounted like that. While they will function it just isn't right. My Elektra was the same way when I got it and stripped all of those off and redid them. Here is a picture with the caps from Big Daddy on the last sound board I went through.
[quoted image]

I know it’s not the right caps but I had to acquire all the boards so I took what I could get. Squawk and Talk boards are not the cheapest or easiest to get. So, to get a recapped board at a decent price was a win for me. I am not a purist I seek dependable or upgraded components on all the restores I do. I didn’t have a strong desire to get a board then recap it, it was already done. It will work...

1 week later
#1466 3 years ago

Looking for help with my after market strobe module. It is the Pinpoint Bally Flash Gordon AS-2518-62 Strobe Board. I've had it a number of years, and it has always caused issues so severe I have left it unplugged. I have Alteck boards throughout the pin, the only original being the sound board. The game either immediately goes into an alarm mode [lots of alert beeping, sounding like a European emergency vehicle, and no bootup] or it sort of starts, but then quickly goes into the the alarm mode and stops working. I tried to trouble shoot with the folks at Altek and Pinpoint, but that didn't yield any positive results. But since then, I did discover something.

So, I was chatting with some pinheads and we get on the subject of the FG strobe and someone suggested I check some connectors to the Squawk and Talk board. I recalled I had two boards for sound, and they said I was old and failing to recall correctly.
So, I check it out and I do have two boards and looking into it discovered that I have a very low production number [apparently #34, AKA: old] and that the first 100 FGs or so produced used the leftover boards from Xenon. I also discovered that the schematic is different for games with the old soundboard set. When you look at the plug diagram on the two schematics, it's different. I'm beginning to think I've stumbled onto something - However, the plug in my game is consistent with the schematic for the Squawk and Talk rather than the schematic for the two board sound set.
So, I'm completely confused.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've attached chunks of the two schematics. The one with the A13 Strobe Module with the key in position 5 is for the Squawk and Talk, and is how my plug is wired and keyed. [the aftermarket strobe is also set for a key in position 5]. The schematic with the key in position 6 is for the two board set. I have the manual with the Squawk and Talk and that manual also has a schematic for the strobe module. I was working from a download from the Pinball database for FG that was the one supplied with the two board set like I have. Other than the difference I have included in the photos, the only other thing I could see is that there is no diagram/schematic for the strobe module.

I'm suspecting that the strobe may not work with my set up, but thought I'd ask folks who get the engineering aspect of this stuff, because this can be daunting for me. Thanks

FG 1 (resized).jpgFG 1 (resized).jpgFG 2 (resized).jpgFG 2 (resized).jpg
#1468 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Radial caps are fine. The Big Daddy kit is overpriced in my opinion.

#1469 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The early schematic calls it a "flash module" not "strobe module". Without the 115VAC connections, the "4 strobe lights" and 43 volt connections I suspect it originally had a circuit that just flashed four 12V incandescent lights connected in series and switched across the 43 volt circuit - somewhat like the four 12V flashing lights in Fireball II doodle bug area.

Do you have the extra 115VAC transformer in the lower cabinet that's wired to the strobe connector?
Has the strobe ever flashed on the Pinpoint strobe board?

#1470 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The early schematic calls it a "flash module" not "strobe module". Without the 115VAC connections, the "4 strobe lights" and 43 volt connections I suspect it originally had a circuit that just flashed four 12v incandescent lights connected in series and switched across the 43 volt circuit - somewhat like the flashing lights in Fireball II doodle bug area.
Do you have the extra 115VAC transformer in the lower cabinet that's wired to the strobe connector?

I concur. The module might be a version of centaur's solenoid snuber relay.

#1471 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Radial caps are fine. The Big Daddy kit is overpriced in my opinion.

$12.95 for the full kit with the correct style caps all matching is overpriced? That’s less than ordering the caps separately from most places. Where are people buying kits for these cheaper than that? Even if it is less I still think it’s worth a few more dollars for the correct style. Having radial lead caps with their leads stretched out like that isn’t good nor looks good.

I guess after spending a lot of time making my games as nice as I can I try to make the boards for them clean too. Same goes for when I repair boards for others.

#1472 3 years ago

I find some of the Big Daddy kits reasonable and convenient.

Very easy to waste a hour or two sorting through results on Mouser.

Big Daddy? Click, done.

#1473 3 years ago

$12.95 for the full kit with the correct style caps all matching is overpriced? That’s less than ordering the caps separately from most places. Where are people buying kits for these cheaper than that? Even if it is less I still think it’s worth a few more dollars for the correct style. Having radial lead caps with their leads stretched out like that isn’t good nor looks good.
I guess after spending a lot of time making my games as nice as I can I try to make the boards for them clean too. Same goes for when I repair boards for others.

Yea $12.95 is ok. I guess that’s a good deal if you meet the minimum order of $30. I think I saw him selling the kit on EBay for around $25.

#1474 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The early schematic calls it a "flash module" not "strobe module". Without the 115VAC connections, the "4 strobe lights" and 43 volt connections I suspect it originally had a circuit that just flashed four 12V incandescent lights connected in series and switched across the 43 volt circuit - somewhat like the four 12V flashing lights in Fireball II doodle bug area.

Yes, it has the 115VAC transformer and it does fire the strobe. So, it appears to be wired for the strobe module and I suspect that my “discovery” ultimately brings me no closer to understanding why plugging in the strobe causes so much chaos.

#1475 3 years ago

Well, I finally sorted my Right Flipper Fire -> Saucer Bonus Award issue.
Turns out it was not my saucer (upkick) that I was getting awarded the points for, but the single drop target guarding the shooter lane!
That drop was terribly inconsistent and I ended up throwing an Alltek SDB in there. Now it is working fine and the Random Award was definitely related to it being in the down position. So, after replacing the messed up switch associated with it no more Mystery Awards.
Problem solved.

Unfortunately, my Squawk Box has started to get all garbled and fades almost completely after a few games now.

I am assuming it just needs a full recap, maybe?

Anyway. Nice to have proper scoring again.

#1476 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Yes, it has the 115VAC transformer and it does fire the strobe.

I presume the Pinpoint strobe board is a replica of the original? Is there a schematic for it?
Any chance you can post some clear pictures of the board front and back and also the wires at the connector plus the 115VAC transformer?

#1477 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I presume the Pinpoint strobe board is a replica of the original? Is there a schematic for it?
Any chance you can post some clear pictures of the board front and back and also the wires at the connector?

I might have a schematic.

I have a Pinpoint board in my FG and it works fine.

#1478 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have a Pinpoint board in my FG and it works fine.

You running any Alltek boards by any chance?

#1479 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You running any Alltek boards by any chance?

Nope, all stock hardware with NVRAM

#1480 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Any chance you can post some clear pictures of the board front and back and also the wires at the connector plus the 115VAC transformer?

Thanks so much for the interest. Attached are a couple of photos of the plug. I do not have and couldn’t find a schematic for the pinpoint. For yucks and grins, I included the schematic of the original strobe.

E3B64813-85A0-4BCB-8A89-EEA1D77CECCF (resized).jpegE3B64813-85A0-4BCB-8A89-EEA1D77CECCF (resized).jpegF2B67B31-611B-43DE-A11D-A3CD4E9EB93D (resized).jpegF2B67B31-611B-43DE-A11D-A3CD4E9EB93D (resized).jpeg779E22E1-4944-4DF0-ABD9-A41D90A209EB (resized).jpeg779E22E1-4944-4DF0-ABD9-A41D90A209EB (resized).jpeg
#1481 3 years ago

All I have, sorry.

20201109_191102 (resized).jpg20201109_191102 (resized).jpg
#1482 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

All I have, sorry.
[quoted image]

Thanks. I tried to contact the folks at Pinpoint, but couldn’t find an email. I appears they no longer offer the strobe module.

#1483 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

All I have, sorry.

Cheers, I don't think it's a 100% replica. The original schematic shows seven resistors, I only see four resistors on the Pinpoint diagram.

@zahner, do you have a factory Bally MPU board to try?

#1484 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench: zahner, do you have a factory Bally MPU board to try?

Pretty sure I do. I will dig it out and give it a shot. Wonder if it could be the aux lamp driver board? That is directly wired into the strobe ...
While I’m pretty good with all the mechanical stuff, the logic of computer boards can baffle me.

#1485 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Pretty sure I do.

With Flash Gordon ROMs?
Otherwise try changing the solenoid driver board first for a Bally board if you have a spare.

The strobe board generates high voltages to ignite the xenon tube - this is being picked up in the game as noise and upsetting something in the Alltek setup.

#1486 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

With Flash Gordon ROMs?
Otherwise try changing the solenoid driver board first for a Bally board if you have a spare.
The strobe board generates high voltages to ignite the xenon tube - this is being picked up in the game as noise and upsetting something in the Alltek setup.

I do have a board with the game ROMs. I should have the original solenoid board also. I’ll start with the old MPU.

#1487 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Thanks. I tried to contact the folks at Pinpoint, but couldn’t find an email. I appears they no longer offer the strobe module.

Do you think that they would make a special run of the strobe assembly and board if there were several of us willing to order them now?

Is there enough interest to ask?

#1488 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Do you think that they would make a special run of the strobe assembly and board if there were several of us willing to order them now?
Is there enough interest to ask?

If I can’t figure this out, I might be selling mine

#1489 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

If I can’t figure this out, I might be selling mine

I would be buying. Either a reproduction or yours.

#1490 3 years ago

Honestly, I have been hoping someone much smarter than me would re-invent the strobe using lower voltage and an LED.

#1491 3 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

Honestly, I have been hoping someone much smarter than me would re-invent the strobe using lower voltage and an LED.

THIS. All day long. This.

#1492 3 years ago

My strobe no longer works and I don’t really miss it.
The game keeps me entertained enough without the blinding strobe.

#1493 3 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

Some 12V 8SMD flashers from Comet Pinball would just fine.

#1494 3 years ago

I could swear I saw an aftermarket strobe assembly for sale somewhere. I’ll have to do some digging. I believe it utilized led’s.

#1495 3 years ago

Hey folks - I am looking at picking up a Flash Gordon. I have heard mixed reviews on hardtops and gameplay. I may not be able to play the game in person before picking it up, so, I am curious: do you have a hardtop installed? If so, how is the gameplay?

If anybody hears of a FG up for sale, please point them to me! Thanks!

#1496 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Hey folks - I am looking at picking up a Flash Gordon. I have heard mixed reviews on hardtops and gameplay. I may not be able to play the game in person before picking it up, so, I am curious: do you have a hardtop installed? If so, how is the gameplay?

Installed a Hardtop on mine, and it plays perfectly! Really smooth and a joy to play compared to before.

#1497 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

I have one and a location in town has one. Both play great as far as I can tell.

#1498 3 years ago

Just installed one on my restore - plays great - looks great. I could not play mine as a before because the machine was in pieces but I have played FG many times before and I prefer the hardtop, its smooth no cupped inserts. No wear spots....

#1499 3 years ago

Thank you! Appreciate the quick responses! Hoping to join soon!

#1500 3 years ago

Flash! Savior of the Universe!

Not in the club (but love the game). Was walking through the mall on the way to the Lego Store with my little ones and saw FLASH is playing in AMC and Cinemark theaters (that are open) for a 40th anniversary special for the next few weeks. Tickets were $5 where I was but the movie was likely too much for my 4 year old. In any case, if you have not seen it and want an excuse to go to the movies... now is the time!

Flash (resized).pngFlash (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 90.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,995 (OBO)
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 57.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.