(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tophervette.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

355 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Tophervette. You are on page 1 of 2.
#4465 3 years ago

Hello there fellow Whovian Pinballers! One of these days, I will carve out some room in my house and purchase a Doctor Who Pinball machine. I have read all 90 pages and what a story of maintenance and parts gathering. I spent hours watching YouTube video of a complete tear down and rehab of a Dr. Who machine in Canada.

Thanks for all the tips on what works and what doesn't.

6 days ago, I put an offer in for a Dalek Head. I thought I would get a head start by motorizing it. Although I contacted the person selling it less than a hour after it was posted for sale, I was told it had just sold.

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
Used, good condition - “Dalek topper for Doctor Who pinball machine. Very good condition.”
2020-10-16
Veracruz, VER.
160 (Firm)
Archived after: 8 days
Viewed: 289 times

I see it is still for sale. Is this common? I also see that he has posted it for sale several times over the past year, along with other Who pinball parts, but they never sold and were archived. Has anyone bought or tried to purchase any related parts from this person in Veracruz. Mexico?

3 weeks later
#4500 3 years ago

I have dipped a toe into the pinball world. I recently bought a Dr Who MPF that came from a flooded warehouse, that was for sale on this site. I have really enjoyed pulling it apart using the Faz guide. Good news is that the motor, gear box, elevator, cam were in good shape. Bad news is that: Metal posts, screws, Tnuts and lamp holders were Rusted. The wood play field was squishy like a sponge on the front. It had 2 mylars stacked. The T nuts were poorly covered in epoxy. The cover is broken and cracked in 3 places. The elevator had both yellow caked grease and black grease. Yuk.

Once apart and every part catalogued, I began cleaning/polishing. I have bought a new wood play field and cover. I have ordered new screws and parts from Marco. Cliffs is making me protectors for the play field. I have taken measurements from the old one as I know I have some drilling and front end removal (2mm) supposedly.

I have been reading up here on testing the Optos. I was able to connect the motor to a 12 volt power supply and was able to verify that it worked with no gear slop. It looks like it had been replaced recently.

Next will be learning how to test the coils. I am guessing they are 12 volt? I have a VOM and will test for continuity and resistance.

Pictures once things are cleaner. Maybe a before and after picture.

#4503 3 years ago

How bad can it be? 50 years of abuse and then be subjected to wet salty warehouse? These are the before pictures of my Mini Playfield. It turns out to be mostly surface rust, and many of the rusty screws, nuts and bolts are in stock.

DSCF1817 (resized).JPGDSCF1817 (resized).JPGDSCF1822 (resized).JPGDSCF1822 (resized).JPGDSCF1829 (resized).JPGDSCF1829 (resized).JPG
#4504 3 years ago

In my quest to rebuild a Mini Playfield, after disassembly, I upgraded to a new wood playfield from CPR. I don't know what "silver" meant on the back side, but as I saw on multiple YouTubes, you need to trim about 3mm off the front of the new one. Which also means there will be a 3mm gap at the back. I measured all the holes, that needed to be added on both the front and back. After marking the holes with a pen on the new playfield, it is an excellent idea to trial fit the part that will be screwed into place. Then with awl or nail, punch a divet hole, to mark where to drill a small pilot hole. Pictures show the differences of original and new. I also scanned my measurements for the holes to be added. Noting that I needed to subtract 3mm from the vertical measurements from the back of the playfield.

DSCF1842 (resized).JPGDSCF1842 (resized).JPGDSCF1844 (resized).JPGDSCF1844 (resized).JPGScan2_0001 (resized).jpgScan2_0001 (resized).jpgScan2_0002 (resized).jpgScan2_0002 (resized).jpg
#4507 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Is this the MPF that was listed for 1200?

Yes it was! I got it for a lot less. In my search for parts, I found that although many are available, many are not.

#4516 3 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

True. But...but...oh never mind. Welcome to the club? Sort of?

Thanks. Yes I only have a MPF. It is my way of learning about pinball machines, parts, suppliers, tools and techniques. So far I have learned about after market parts, Back order parts, Out of stock parts, and refurbishing parts. I took an electronics class in college in 1976. I am re-learning soldering, flux, and the fine art of holding two wires together, while trying to solder them. I have learned about coils, plungers, sleeves and springs. I am having fun. I did not want to jump into a major pinball project, without first seeing if I liked it. Sorry if this club is for owners of the whole machine....

2 months later
#4584 3 years ago

I finally got all my parts to rebuild the MPF and it looks great! With 12 volt power it goes up and down perfectly. I have also worked on getting a Dalek Head upgraded to LEDs and moving with the Wobble head servo. Next will be actually adding the game to my house. I had a chance to play it and it worked perfectly. Even got a multi-ball to happen. It has a few cosmetic issues (as most do), but I am ready!

DSCF1892 (resized).JPGDSCF1892 (resized).JPGDSCF1893 (resized).JPGDSCF1893 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#4608 3 years ago

I finally have my very own Doctor Who pinball installed and setup in my house. I have been buying parts, even before owning one. First picture is how it looked when I got it. Second and following pictures are what it currently looks like. I am having immense fun, learning all about this Pin. I also have a million questions. I have gone through all 93 pages of this web post. It has helped me tremendously already. For instance, the game worked when I picked it up and then drove it 45 miles in a Uhaul van. I plugged it in and got the dreaded CW/CCW error message. But because of posts here, I knew what and where to look for. A plug to the MPF motor OPTO had become disconnected. Easy fix. Next, I booted it up and got a warning message about the MPF, even though the playfield glass was installed. The mini-switch lever was not closing contact. I bent it up, and realized that its pivot pin is worn and the whole things needs replacing. On game 3 a grey plastic switch cover behind the Tardis popped off and went down the drain stopping any further plays. Another easy fix. I have also found out that there is a procedure for removing and reinstalling the play field glass. With the coin door open, and the lever thrown, that if you close the door before you move the lever, the coin mech hangs up on the open lever. DOH. But y'all already knew that right? Currently learning about those 4 buttons on the coin door. The game has made a total of $43.00 since last 2003 reset, if I am reading the screen right. There are two unused plugs with wires, one on each side of the pin under the flipper buttons. They are stock original looking. I don't see a printer, or bill changer or third coin door. Is this what they are for? Next time under the hood, I will write down wire colors and photograph. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpgDSCF1899 (resized).JPGDSCF1899 (resized).JPGDSCF1900 (resized).JPGDSCF1900 (resized).JPG

#4610 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

How did you score 3 of the Uber-rare, impossible to get, daleks on top?
People are desperate just to get a sample in order to copy it, lol.
Do they still have the heads?

Only one came with a head, that I purchased earlier. I have installed a wobble head conversion in it. One base came with the Pin (but no head). Another base came from ebay. I am toying with the idea of making new heads with movable stalks and LEDs. But having too much fun playing the pin with no quarters. I am hoping the Biden Virus Fund check will cover the mods I just ordered from France (Pinsound), Color DMD, Lighted new Speakers.

#4612 3 years ago

Pinsound with the shaker is amazing on Doctor Who.
I personally liked the LED colorDMD better than the LCD version on this title, having installed both on my game.

Yes, from your earlier comments and watching on youtube, I chose the LED too. Also because, it will fit better. LOL.

I tried learning the Pinsound download last night. I got the original soundtrack on a thumb drive, but ran into problems downloading the custom ones. I got a message saying load last chapter??? I gave up and went to bed running a norton scan on the computer.

#4624 3 years ago

Did you get Pinsound plus?
Make sure you get the current firmware installed on your pinsound:
https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-plus-help/
The changelogs are pretty informative to read.
The 13 doctors mix is pretty good, I have a couple volume adjustments to do yet.
Also I have some ideas about adding more Peter Capaldi.
Im deep into a Funhouse restore right now, but hope to have some time to work on the Doctor Who orchestration a bit more, coming up in a few weeks.

Pinsound +, inbound from France. Down loaded latest Jan 12, 2021 version to thumb drive.
Can the firmware be on same thumb drive as music down loads?
I found out that I had to register to down load community music. All good.
I now have: original, Doctorin' Tardis, and 13 doctors on thumb drive.

Tried my first upgrade tonight and failed. I added the wobble head Dalek board and wires. The instructions and photo, showed the +12 D.C. Volts and ground to the Dalek board coming from J118 on Power Board positions 2 & 3. The picture showed a new connector to J118 with just the 2 wires going to the Dalek board. Assumption on my part (we know what ASS U ME means), that I just had to unplug the old J118 plug and add new plug and wires to the Dalek board. WRONG!!! Power up and I get error report about Optos, a bunch of them. Good news,the Dalek head flashed and turned like it was supposed to. Turned off Pin. Looked in manual, after the fact, what J118 was connected to. Lesson learned, but nothing fried. The ground black wires goes to both the 4 bulbs on top of back box and to the 10 Opto board J3 under playfield via the grey pipe. The grey/yellow wire +12 v goes directly to feed all 10 Optos on that board J3. Will have to back track and solder Dalek wires to original J118 plug wires. Wish the instructions were clear!

#4627 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

You need a Z connector (I think that is what it is called) that lets you plug in the accessory and the 12v opto plug.

Awesome news!!! Thanks. Looking it up now.

#4630 3 years ago

The saga continues, sorry. I plugged J118 plug from the 10 Opto board into the Power board, like it was originally. I decided to wait on soldering wires till I got an adapter plug. I powered on and got the same OPTO Errors 71-75 and a switch. Which means that that something went wrong, when I turned on the machine without J118 plugged in. I am at a loss. Going to get my digital volt meter out and follow the +12 volts from J118 to the 10 Opto board. Kind of scared checking it out with the power on, but that is what I need to do. I went from having fun with a working machine, to messing it up. Probably will have to call in an expert.

#4634 3 years ago

What a coincidence. I just added the same coin return buttons. My Opto 10 board decided to work with J118 plugged in correctly. I also discovered that a small wire in the ball through only hangs one way to let balls out and not bounce back. While cleaning under there last night I must have flipped that wire the other direction. I will learn this machine one mistake at a time. I have begun to replace screws and ESNuts on the top of the playfield with new shiny ones. The fidelity speakers showed up yesterday, but will wait for PINSOUND+ (that is currently in New York from Paris) to install. Thanks for all the help guys.

DSCF1905 (resized).JPGDSCF1905 (resized).JPG
#4641 3 years ago

Swinks Pinball also carries a plastic replica for the purpose of using it as a template. They also state, they could make one out of stainless. Link to the ad. https://www.shapeways.com/product/AGNPGNACC/doctor-who-pinball-time-expander-motor-bracket?optionId=65328800&li=marketplace

710x528_23191494_12846745_1524568965 (resized).jpg710x528_23191494_12846745_1524568965 (resized).jpg
#4648 3 years ago

I have been a Doctor Who Fan since it first came out in 1963, when my parents lived south of London on an Air Force Base. The Daleks scared me as a child, but I have followed them ever since and know their whole history. So imagine a Pinball Game with my favorite Sci-Fi monster series. Then getting to add a COLOR DMD to the screen and upgrading the sound to PINSOUND+. I am so happy with the way it sounds, looks and plays. Special Thanks to PINBALLRENO for his guidance in the PINSOUND install. I found that you need the Original sound mix on the thumb drive, in order to add the custom ones. Also that you need to add them to the thumb drive in compressed ZIP format. Even though there are two USB ports, you can not have one loaded with the original, and the other with custom sounds. All the custom sounds need to be on the same thumb drive as the Original sounds. As I add the custom sounds, I would like to also thank PINSHARK for his Doctorin Tardis. The 13 Doctors has so many new doctors giving callouts, that I really like and remember from the show. At the end of a ball, instead of just the Master Laughing at me for loosing another ball. I hear his say slowly..."I am the Master". Thanks to all who contribute here.

DSCF1909 (resized).JPGDSCF1909 (resized).JPGDSCF1910 (resized).JPGDSCF1910 (resized).JPGDSCF1914 (resized).JPGDSCF1914 (resized).JPG
#4650 3 years ago

Here's a little gift to reward you for all your hard work!
Replace the boot.wav on your pinsound usb stick with this one:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wlzR5tyMqUbMFzuNd9ZMHpyeinFM87Vh/view?usp=sharing
You will get the master instead of the pinsound jingle on startup.
Its way fitting and way COOL!
I would delete boot.wav on the pinsound usb stick and then copy this newly downloaded boot.wav onto the usb stick (power off of course)
When you reboot the game with the newly updated usb stick installed, you will be rewarded with a new startup sound!

Thanks - I downloaded "boot". I listened to it on computer and it did sound way cool. I want it.
I turned off Pin and removed USB stick with Audio on it. I looked at files inside. There is audio and tmp files and (.cache, .mix, self diagnosis), which I can not open.
Audio file contains: Original, 13 Doctors, Hendrix and Doctorin files.
I opened Original which seems to be the driver file for startup. It contains: Jingle, Music, sfx, single, voice files and (config pinsound and license).
I opened Jingle file folder and found: ball lost, second chance, shoot again, and all doctors. Did not see a boot file???
I opened each of those folders and found a similar sounding file name and the word legacy.

So I am at a loss. I even reloaded the PINSOUND download onto another drive. I looked inside it and found no Jingle or boot wav.

Please make me smarter. Thanks

#4656 3 years ago

Not discontinued, just a kinda get-em-while they last sorta thing as he makes up more kits.
He still makes them! In fact they are a bit more refined now:
https://www.basementarcade.com/For_Sale.html

Just what I needed to hear, seeing I own 3 Daleks. It will be fun to see how the UK Wobble Head compares to Basement arcade, side by side. Oh and the 4th Modern Dalek talking head too is coming.

s-l500 (resized).jpgs-l500 (resized).jpg
#4663 3 years ago

Beautiful looking game! Good luck on the sale. I hope my game looks this good one day.

#4669 3 years ago

There I was, enjoying playing my DW pinball, with new Color DMD and Pinsound+ and stereo speakers. I was learning shots, loops, transmatting, etc. The ball started to get stuck in the left popper of the MPF, when there was already a ball in there. I could not initially figure it out and kept playing. Letting the find ball process try three times and then it would eject both balls. Several days later the MPF got stuck between level 2 and 3. I feared the worse. I wanted to keep enjoying my new pinball. But in the back of my mind, I knew, I had a completely rebuilt MPF sitting close by. Using the FAZ guide again, I carefully began removing parts, screws, and ramps to get to the MPF. I was finding missing screws, ESMs, also had flat head screws, and loose T nuts. I don't think anyone else has a 3 inch long machine screw holding the Dalek reset roller and MPF in place. The first and second pictures are showing the reason why two balls could occupy the left popper. It is also the reason for MPF jam. The third picture shows both MPF sitting side by side. With the intent to put the rebuilt one back in and start playing again.

I had ordered some side blades and thought it would be a good time to add them, seeing I had the plastic ramps out. While looking at the ramps, they were yellowed, cracked and the blue metal ramps had corrosion on them. So I ordered new ones of course. Need some guidance on reattaching the rivets to the stainless metal pieces to the plastic. Or should I use small screws and lock nuts?

I had received new metal glass rails when I got the machine, as the backbox had crashed down and dented them sometime in the past( as well as leaving lots of small glass squares everywhere). So I watched a Youtube video and proceeded to remove them. Good thing I had new ones, as I bent the hell out of the old ones prying them off that double sided original tape. That is when things snowballed out of control. See Picture 3 and 4.

With the side rails off, I could see the remnants of the bright red lines that the rest of the cabinet should be displaying. Another couple YOUTUBE videos later, I was shopping at the hardware store for a heat gun, GooGone, and scrapers. Between the snow we are having and COVID stay at home, I had time to be creative.

The thing that scares me most right now is that I only see people laying new decals on flat horizontal surfaces. That means, that I will have to unplug, unwire, unbolt the back box and the playfield. I will photograph everything. Make lots of notes. Label wires with tape. And pray, I don't mess it up. Wish me luck.

DSCF1927 (resized).JPGDSCF1927 (resized).JPGDSCF1932 (resized).JPGDSCF1932 (resized).JPGDSCF1954 (resized).JPGDSCF1954 (resized).JPGDSCF1955 (resized).JPGDSCF1955 (resized).JPGDSCF1956 (resized).JPGDSCF1956 (resized).JPG

#4673 3 years ago

I contacted CPR about the mirror back glass. I was also told that both the MPF and the whole playfield are scheduled to be made in the future. That is good news.

#4675 3 years ago

Please, I need help from someone who has removed the playfield from the cabinet. I have separated the back box from the cabinet. I labeled all the connectors that went to the boards in the back box. The large grey tube and black tube of wires dropped into the back of cabinet. I see how I have to raise the playfield and lift it out. The MPF is already out, so it will weigh less. LOL. Tell me that they designed the game, so that there are no wires from the cabinet to the playfield. My fear is that when I lift the playfield up, there will be that one wire or bundle of wires that will not allow me to detach. and I will tear something up. I am guessing that the grey tube is playfield wires and that the black tube is cabinet.

On a happier note, my Backbox has new paint and decals. It looks sweet. Hoping all my notes, blue tape with board pin numbers, and manual will help to put it back together, like Humpty dumpty and all the kings horses and kings men.

DSCF1973 (resized).JPGDSCF1973 (resized).JPGDSCF1974 (resized).JPGDSCF1974 (resized).JPG
#4677 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

You should be good to go to remove playfield. Wires from playfield only go to the boards in the head.

Thanks Chrispink25 for the vote of confidence. I did want to be hanging mid air with playfield and wonder why I was stuck. I have already had 2 mishaps with wires. The new speaker terminal came off with the wire and a black wire to J118 also became un attached.

The Backbox has a sticker next to a post that grounded braid all runs too. It says to connect it to the ground under cabinet near the wing bolt. I do not see any ground braid near the underside of the wing bolt in the cabinet. I only see the ground braid of the cabinet running up to the two sides of the back metal vent.

I can extend that braid to the backbox, if that is what the warning label means. I did make sure the backbox ground braid went from that terminal in the bottom left to the metal plate that the boards attach to...

#4681 3 years ago

In the cabinet harness on the left side at the bottom of the cabinet, there is a ground braid that goes from the cabinet speaker, thru the harness and ends at the wing nut post in the backbox. It is not attached to the playfield.
This is often left disconnected but you will find the ground braid in the cabinet harness, and it should be reattached.
Its not in the playfield harness.
The playfield harness is 3 separate groups, GI lighting, switches and solenoids.
Typically the gray or smaller diameter tube is the cabinet harness with 2 bundles of wire (power bundle and cabinet switch/speaker and ground bundle) and the black tube has the other 3 harnesses.
The playfield harness is typically mounted with a nylon tie on the left side going into the backbox and not attached to the cabinet other than the nylon tie that supports it to take the pressure off the connectors.

Thanks again! I found the ground braid in a clear plastic tube and it was not attached. I will make sure I attach it.

I lifted the play field out finally. Yes the two wire harnesses are separate, but they were so tangled and intertwined. But they had enough slack to put play field outside of cabinet, while I untangled. I vacumed the remaining playfield glass and wiped all the dust out of the cabinet. Ready for sanding, painting, and redecal.

#4685 3 years ago

"Anyone know off the top of their head where this flasher ties into the board...maybe a pin number? Are there any known issues with this flasher?"

If you are referring to the light bulb inside the Dalek Head, it is connected to 2 wires (white with organce stripe and an orange wire) that run into the top Backbox and turn left. They connect to the top of a small board in the upper left corner of the Backbox. See top of attached picture. The bottom of that board has a connector (J2) with 3 wires (black and two white with orange stripes) that drops down to the bottom of the Backbox. It gets +voltage from one connector and - ground (black wire) from another. Check the voltage of those wires and make sure they are connected. The Black ground recently came off on mine, when I was taping into the lower connector to power my wobble head Dalek.

DSCF1964 (resized).JPGDSCF1964 (resized).JPG
#4687 3 years ago

You are correct. My bad. The wires from the flasher go down to the bottom of back box.

2 weeks later
#4707 3 years ago

Could one of you knowledgeable pin people, please tell me what the test report means by "examine left jet bumper switch". I know that it means the left rear round red pop bumper. I looked at it. The wires are attached to the coil. It slides freely up and down. It is an intermittent fault.

Otherwise, on a happier note, I finished my rebuild/restore/redecal/repainted of my first pinball. It looks great. It plays great. Thanks for all the help here that got me to this point!

#4709 3 years ago

Leaf switch might be gapped too close causing intermittant shorts? If its shorted the game tuns it off and gives an error. The proper gap is 1/16" but I like them about 1/32 to 1/64", very close but not shorting. It takes a bit to dial them in. Game vibration can cause them to short if they're too close.
Does the solenoid test activate it? How do the pop bumpers work "in game"?
Adjust them with power off or you will blow fuses, diodes and transistors.

Thank you. I have been researching pop bumpers and understand what you are saying. With the credit dot error on, that pop bumper does not "pop". But the other 2 do. I tried looking at the leaf switch on the offending one, but it is in the very bottom of the cabinet and the coil holder is upside down, so I can not see anything, unlike the other two which are pointing upward. This will require pulling it out. Which means the upper ramp must be removed and all the things I just installed. Not whining but frustrated. The right rear pop bumper is missing a nut on the ring. It is actually broken off, so that I can not just put another nut on. Soooo, it looks like I will be ordering pop bumper parts. Setting the gap is like gapping points on a 1960s and earlier car. Been there, done that. Have the feeler gauge, so appreciate the gap numbers.

Attached is a picture of my coin door. It is way cool, in the dark with the coin return Tardis light up.

DSCF2005 (resized).JPGDSCF2005 (resized).JPG
#4710 3 years ago

I got my highest score so far! I am so happy with the mods and new decals. The expensive moving Dalek Head during video mode in color on The DMD, yelling Exterminate over the stereo speakers that are lit up. Sara Jane Smith saying "Its YOU". A cow showing up on the screen. The Emperor Dalek shooting the Supreme Dalek and then killing the pink Dalek Brain crawling across the screen. Some many layers to this onion. Love it.

DSCF2006 (resized).JPGDSCF2006 (resized).JPGDSCF2016 (resized).JPGDSCF2016 (resized).JPGDSCF2042 (resized).JPGDSCF2042 (resized).JPG
#4712 3 years ago

Flipper upgrade. I got to see what a mushroomed stop and plunger look like too. The only tricky parts were putting that little spring on. Glad that I read about that hole behind the flipper to align it. I even used a Marcos thickness gauge to get the right height off the playfield.

DSCF2043 (resized).JPGDSCF2043 (resized).JPGDSCF2055 (resized).JPGDSCF2055 (resized).JPG
#4713 3 years ago

Thanks to Rdoyle1978 for his tips on modifying a USB Tardis to replace the cheaper original one. I think it looks a lot better. I also mounted a Red Dalek over the shooter lane, pointing towards the Tardis. You probably can not tell, but I also installed small red Dalek Band holders every where I could. The Swinks/Shapeways Who Mobile is on order to replace the black plastic microswitch covers.

On another note, I am midway on replacing broken pop bumpers with all new parts. Using Vids guide has helped with parts from Marcos and Pinball Life.

DSCF2069 (resized).JPGDSCF2069 (resized).JPGDSCF2071 (resized).JPGDSCF2071 (resized).JPGDSCF2078 (resized).JPGDSCF2078 (resized).JPGDSCF2073 (resized).JPGDSCF2073 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#4716 3 years ago

AND Pinside is back! In the meantime, I was able to follow VIDS tips on replacing Pop (or Jet) bumpers. The left side shows the probably original parts (green Williams coils). Note the broken metal yoke on a working pop bumper on the left. Note the broken stud on the bottom of the ring on the middle working pop bumper. The right pop bumper was not working and giving a check switch error. All the parts on it were ok. Strange that two of the Rings had washers at the top of the threads, but I did not see any in the diagrams in the manual or on Marcos site. During the test mode, all 3 coils fired. In switch test, the right one did not activate the coil. Being new at this, I decided to replace all the parts of all 3. That is the bottom picture, with the parts spread out awaiting to be installed.

I would change up the order of the VID Pop Bumper instructions though. I found that it was easier to un-staple and unsolder the lamp metal leads, once the coils and spoon switches are removed. This job would have been a lot easier if the playfield was out. But when I was rebuilding the cabinet and the playfield was out, is when this error occurred. It turns out that I could have probably fixed the initial problem by adjusting the spoon leaf switch. I probably got closed when playfield was out. Oh well, I have new parts in now, and boy do my pop bumpers pop now. Transmat score goes up quickly as the ball bounces back and forth like a machine gun.....
DSCF2082 (resized).JPGDSCF2082 (resized).JPGDSCF2083 (resized).JPGDSCF2083 (resized).JPG

#4717 3 years ago

This is wrong.
It will work!
[quoted image]

AND it finally worked!!! Thanks for the guide for dummies. LOL.

1 week later
#4719 3 years ago

So after reading all the horror stories about battery leakage, I decided to get a different solution. Noquartersarcade.com had a solution to the problem. It was fairly cheap and easy to install, once I watched the Youtube video that he provided a link to. I also have found that using a fine tip on the weller soldering iron works better than the screw driver tip for working on boards. I have been changing out the Tantulum Capacitors on the original Sound board. Even though I don't need it with the Pinsound in. Maybe someone will want it someday.

DSCF2093 (resized).JPGDSCF2093 (resized).JPGDSCF2094 (resized).JPGDSCF2094 (resized).JPG
#4722 2 years ago

Guess who scored probably the last NOS Playfield and from Ron Kruzman. It came from an employee that retired from Bally williams, and programed the CNC machine. He kept one of each of the titles he worked on. It is from early production, but not early enough to have a solid brown coat on Doctor #3. I have read about the early machines but have not seen a picture of one.

Playfield84 (resized).jpgPlayfield84 (resized).jpgPlayfield95 (resized).jpgPlayfield95 (resized).jpgPlayfield99 (resized).jpgPlayfield99 (resized).jpg
#4726 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Nice score! You going to install it in a game?

Of course. well maybe... I need to get one of those rotisserie carts first. And more room in my garage. Ron advised me to sand and clear coat the back and let it cure for about a month. I will play the hell out of the current playfield till I am ready. If only I had a spare playfield wire harness, to begin the process. I hear the Dalek taunting me to come back an play....

#4727 2 years ago
Quoted from willowpuss:

CPR are going to reproduce these you can put your name on the waiting list

Yes, CPR told me that they were going to reproduce the playfield. But then, you would have to send it off to someone like Kruzman to get it cleared, and that is a long wait. Like next year by the time CPR does it and then the clear gets cured. Also it will always be a repro, and not a NOS playfield. There is apparently a difference. Having had a difficulty getting the CPR Mini-playfield to fit (had to trim the front about 4mm), plus some of the holes did not line up either, not impressed. But if that is all that is available, you make do. Alter, adjust, trim, redrill.

#4730 2 years ago

That playfield needs a bit of restoration to be useable:
Clearcoating, key lining, address the sunken inserts, some minor touch-ups etc...
One of the problems with 30 year old playfields is the inserts get loose as the mastic glue dries out.
They should probably be removed, cleaned and then epoxied in, in order to last.
I would send it out for refurbishment, or just keep it as an amazing art piece!

As bad as that, your description. I wasted good money then. Thought the diamond plate new playfield would have been better than the one same age I am playing on now with 29 years of wear.

#4735 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

That’s funny. I have a spare Dr Who wiring harness.

I wonder if it would be available....?

#4744 2 years ago

Plus you can add the shaker!

I am going to add a shaker next, once I get my allowance. Maybe I could mow a few hundred lawns....
Seriously, I am looking forward to adding it. Each upgrade, has enhanced the game to the next level. From what I understand, it plugs into my Pinsound+ board and someone has already figured out when the shaker takes off, based on events in the game. I see that it has 3 levels of shake. What setting are y'all most comfortable with?

#4756 2 years ago

I am very happy with my LED COLORDMD. Easy Install. It brings the video Jumping doctor to life!

Strangest thing though. I have noticed that sometimes the current Doctor running at the start, changes to another Doctor in different clothes after the first jump. Weird.

Strange thing two. During a Davros multi-ball, with the Dalek on top moving/lighting up and talking, the MPF moving to level 3 - the DMD goes from color to black and white for a couple seconds. Scary. But is a momentary glitch.

I have a daughter/reset board on the CPU. I have a separate dual power supply for my LED Flippers, LED speaker lights, Dalek motor and DMD.

#4761 2 years ago

You are correct!
Once in awhile you get back and white video.
Its not right, but for now its normal.

Thanks all for the reassurance that I am not imagining things. I wish I could set up a video of the strange issues. I catch them out of the corner of my eye while trying to not drain the balls flying around. Next time it happens, I will try and document what was happening.

#4768 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What is the verdict on the ColorDMD? Do you notice that much of a difference? Worth it?

I went from shades of orange to the full colorDMD. Having just played all 4 players game, these are the differences that make it worth it. Each of the 7 doctors that are on the speaker board have a different set of colored clothing that matches what they wore on the TV series. When in Video mode, you can see the obstacles better and jump just before you get to them. It is easier to see if they are a 1 flipper or 2 flipper choice. It makes getting all 7 doctors lit up easier. When the Supreme Dalek shows up on the screen in white and gold, it shoots the left Dalek and it explodes. Then a pink Brain tentacle Dalek creature crawls out and gets blasted again for letting the Doctors escape. In my opinion, it makes the video mode a lot more playable.

Switching the music on the Pinsound board gives the game a different feel depending on my mood. The Blazing metal guitars mode is when I am working off anger and bashing pinballs around the playfield. The 13 Doctors is my favorite (and happy mood) and still finding and hearing new callouts that I have heard from the more recent series. You have to be a Who fan to get some of the nuances. Doctoring the Tardis is when I am in a mellow mood. But thats me.

There are several vendors for the side cabinet art. One is on Ebay, one is in the UK. The one I got and recently put on is the one with white windows Tardis on one side of the Head Unit and yellow windows on the other side. But only I know it, and could care less. Wood prep (removing goey decal goo, sanding, sanding, priming and sanding will reward you with a like new cabinet with bright colors. Know up front that the decals are smaller than the cabinet and head. So having a smooth wood surface painted gloss black is key. It looked so good that my coin door needed updating.

Enjoy.

1 week later
#4786 2 years ago

ignat Where did you get your beautiful clear coat. It is gorgeous!

#4787 2 years ago

Sorry, I just have to post, that I had my most wonderful Doctor Who game of all time. I have been trying to follow advice about the Who Loops multiplier. I never got to a sonic boom but was close. The ball has to be barely rolling off the tip of the right flipper to make the left "collision" target alley way. Then as it rolls back down, the upper left flipper has to hit the ball just as it gets to the flipper (and you have to smash the flipper button hard). Then and only then will the ball go up the Loop ramp. Then you have seconds before you get to time the ball strike on the upper left again and again. I quit while I was ahead and turned the machine off as it is almost midnight. I have surely woken some people up in the house with my excitement. My fathers day present is going to be that shaker thingy, for sure.

DSCF2240 (resized).JPGDSCF2240 (resized).JPGDSCF2244 (resized).JPGDSCF2244 (resized).JPGDSCF2246 (resized).JPGDSCF2246 (resized).JPG
#4789 2 years ago

Great score!
The shaker completes the game in my opinion.

Thanks. I went to update my previous score, when I first got my machine in February. I saw that my score was no where near great. LOL.
There were scores in the Billions including ones you and pinballgoddess did. Then I started looking at the pictures associated with those high scores. Was surprised to see that many of them had a credit dot (indicating that they had faults in their machines, probably time expander mushroom optos) and they still got great scores with hundreds of loops. I will admit that mine is set to the easiest standard factory setting. I also saw where someone indicated that other custom settings could make the game easier or harder (tournament play?).

#4794 2 years ago
Quoted from Jasonba:

Any suggestions on what I should check next?

I am no expert, but I have had several problems with my MPF not rising. So it sounds like your motor and gears are not the problem. That leads me to believe that either there is no power going to the motor through the wires from the motor or power board. Or the opto just below the motor is not working. One problem I had was that the switch in the upper left corner of the playfield that detects the glass is installed went bad on me. Once I replaced it, Everything worked. Another time, the plug to the motor of the MPF was not making a connection so that caused a NO CC/CCW error. I have read here, that if the set screw to the wheel attached to the motor gets loose and the wheel is not aligned with the opto, that it will also cause an error. It would help for you to go into test mode and report exactly what the errors are showing.

#4807 2 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

What you see are tool marks from the plug assist. The ramp will not form correctly in that area unless an assist is lowered from the top to push the plastic into place. You can actually see it on the original; ramp if you look closely. It is more visible on my ramp because it is thicker. The only way I could do better is to use the original thickness of plastic and then you get the same shitty ramp you're replacing. This is visible on many ramps not just DW. All I can do at this point is offer you a refund if you are still not happy. Give me your address and I'll send you the missing decals.

Quickly looks at my new thicker ramps installed and see the same bubbling. Then looks at old original ramps that are cracked the V where a screw attaches. Don't see the bubbling. I am very pleased with my new ramps! You only see that area if you are right over top and looking for it. I did have to dremel trim the right side, so it would not scratch my new pinblades, when raising playfield.

The alternative is to keep the thin broken, yellowed, scratched plastic ramps....or enjoy a thicker more durable product.

#4814 2 years ago
Quoted from Jasonba:

Checked the two kickouts by placing a ball in each and they seem to be working as they should in test mode.
Can anyone tell me if there is a fuse in the circuit for the motor?

Someone replaced my motor in the past and had added fuse next to it. But you would see that easily. Oddly enough, it did not blow the fuse when one of my kickouts loosened up and dropped down jamming my MPF. There were no lock washers on it like there should have been. The FAZ guide is great reference for fixing the MPF. I might suggest also looking at the 10 Opto board in the middle of the underside of the playfield.

#4833 2 years ago

I am also grateful to the FAZ guide as it has helped me multiple times in my short history with this pinball. I am getting an OPTO error 71 now, meaning the right most mushroom does not register a hit. I know that means using the FAZ guide to remove the MPF again. I am glad I have it printed out as a reference, and not have to disturb wife on the computer.

If there was ever an update to the guide (like v3). I would like to see several additions from various past posts.

1. Link Opto #'s 71, 72, 73, 74 and 75 to Opto #'s on the board in the Matrix and the Motor OPTO #. The boards have a different numbering system. 1-5.
2. A verbal description and picture of how to take a photo of a working OPTO.
3. A full size, printable paper copy of the fish paper that surrounds the OPTO boards.
4. A section on MODs perhaps. Like the Swinks OPTO carrier with picture. The MPF Cliffies protectors placement, with pictures.

I was just thinking a one stop shop for the collected knowledge of the most amazing Mini-Playfield. Although I think Bride of Pinbot rotating head is awesome too.

MPF After4 (resized).JPGMPF After4 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier5 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier5 (resized).JPG
#4838 2 years ago

1. I ran the full switch test and paid particular attention to those switches in the same row. For example all the other OPTOs in the vertical column of the matrix, then all the parts in the row of the matrix. The only one out was SW71 right most OPTO. Confirmed it by playing a game and touching the mushrooms with a pencil eraser when the MPF was in the second level configuration. Again, only right most mushroom did not work.

2. Have not added any lights.

3. The Opto Carrier is the better Swinks one. The boards are original Bally/Williams.

4. The Swinks Opto Carrier and boards are wrapped in black construction paper and black electrician tape.

5. The credit dot problem sometimes goes away in the middle of the game if the MPF is raised. But comes back later.

I will try the camera trick next once I get the MPF out. As a precaution, I have ordered a set of OPTO boards from Marcos. Do not who made them, yet, if they are even marked.

I am guessing a cold solder joint on the right most Opto or reciever or loose wire, due to the intermittent nature.

I have a spare wired up set of Opto boards from the extra MPF I bought before owning the game. I will try the camera trick with that board as well. Good to have spares.

Opto Carrier10 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier10 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier7 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier7 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier9 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier9 (resized).JPG
#4851 2 years ago

Yes they are tough to get, but if you are patient and look around many sites, and are willing to pay a price as soon as it shows up.....

Two of mine are currently motorized. The UK Servo one and a Mark Davidson version like the original had.

Wishing Mark would make another batch so they could all talk to each other.

EXTERMINATE! You would make a good Dalek! We are supreme beings!"

and just like that My error codes on the magic mushrooms disappeared when the mailman showed up with new boards. She knew I was about to rip her open again and decided to cooperate. Intermittant error on Switch 71 sounds like loose connection.

DSCF2252 (resized).JPGDSCF2252 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#4852 2 years ago

The latest upgrade is new full length flippers and red silicon bands, with some really cool design on top that matches playfield. I really thought full length flippers would be a lot longer than the lightning ones, but hey, every 1/8 inch counts. I like the look too.

203243227_4466091090081805_2269498351029232699_n (resized).jpg203243227_4466091090081805_2269498351029232699_n (resized).jpg203456158_4466091226748458_1665288249842066864_n (resized).jpg203456158_4466091226748458_1665288249842066864_n (resized).jpg203720563_4466091346748446_8437892014955366024_n (resized).jpg203720563_4466091346748446_8437892014955366024_n (resized).jpg
#4855 2 years ago

Im sticking with the lightning flippers.
They rock!

I can always switch back, but....I am still trying to get a high score, without really cheating (like taking the playfield glass off and putting the ball up the PF multiplier manually for every ball). Once I read that the original game designer made the ramps for use with full size flippers, and that some Euro market wanted shorter game time and higher game sales with shorter flippers, I wanted the longer flippers. They do make a difference.

1 week later
#4857 2 years ago

Fellow Doctor Who pinball owners. I need some advice and guidance.

First, I direct your attention to the Doctor Who manual page 3-20 Power Driver Board, Connector J104 is printed as supplying 50VAC to the Fliptronics board at connector J901. However on page 3-26 Fliptronis II Board, Connector J901 states it is getting 50VAC from J105 on the Power Driver Board. Now my game plays with J104 connected and my connector is labeled J104. I measured the voltage on both J104 and J105 pins 1 and 3. They all read 70 volts. The 4 fuses on the Flip board also read 70 volts. I know there are errors in the manual. So which plug is your game on?

Second, I have a Power Driver Board from 2005 from PINLED in Germany. While it plays the game successfully, I have noticed that several of the lights in the playfield flicker on and off during the game. The W-H-O score dots, The ESCAPE triangles, and the multiplier diamonds. I read that the PINLED board suffered from ghosting. Has anyone else experienced this or have this board installed?

Third, I bought a Pinball basement Power Driver Board in hopes that the ghosting goes away, as it is advertised to be a direct copy of the Bally/Williams Board. Does anyone have that board in their game?

Thanks for any and all input.

DSCF2265 (resized).JPGDSCF2265 (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#4881 2 years ago

My time expander is getting sluggish when it moves. Looks like it it time to finally take it out, clean it, and lubricate the slides.

I found a lot of caked on dried white grease on mine on the slides and rollers. Then there was a black grease as well. Clean all the grease off. I used brake cleaner and small wire brush. Then only use spray silicon grease lightly. on rollers.

#4887 2 years ago

Christmas in July for my Doctor Who Pinball!!! It is the white package in the middle of playfields. It is from France. Thanks Pinballreno for recommending it.

The spare playfield on the left is on loan from Wick. The NOS playfield on the right has just had several coats of Poly on the back of the playfield and is curing (per Kruzman recco). I am going to copy the post holes, GI holes, board holes, coils and flippers holes onto some thin plexi=glass. Then drill the holes into the Plexi. Lastly, transfer the holes in a dimple procedure onto the NOS playfield. None of the inserts are sunk and the PF has its original Diamond Plate clear.

DSCF2285 (resized).JPGDSCF2285 (resized).JPG
#4888 2 years ago

My July present is of course a :shaker". It is successfully installed. Great easy instructions! I have it set on the factory gentle setting, to get used to the rumble. Of course I have questions from other users.... Like what setting do you use most often? (Light, Medium or Hard). Do different music settings on the Pinsound+ cause different rumbles? Did anyone customize the rumbling settings when they made the custom music files? I am trying to get a feel of when the rumbles come during play. I just scored my highest score with 3 balls. 941,575,170. I also made it up to level 11 on the video screen. This game is amazing, the more I play it and the more features that I install on it.

DSCF2288 (resized).JPGDSCF2288 (resized).JPGDSCF2290 (resized).JPGDSCF2290 (resized).JPGDSCF2292 (resized).JPGDSCF2292 (resized).JPG
#4889 2 years ago

Delete duplicate post

#4895 2 years ago

Only had one ball fly into the hole in the back of the pinball and into the cabinet. Not sure how it happened.

With Pinsound, I think you can manipulate the sound volume issues. But you will have to download there program and understand the software. Something I have not done and am probably not smart enough to get through. Just saying.

If you have a problem with loud music or callouts, you could just lower the overall volume at the coin door buttons. I play mine at level 10. I can't imagine how annoyed you would be with the custom Metal sound tract. Blazing Guitar riffs, intensify at critical times. Love it. Doctorin the Tardis is great too. I play 13 Doctors the most though. Great callouts that are clear and on point with what part of the game you are playing. Hearing Sara Jane say "It's YOU! melts my heart every time. My wife however, does not like hearing Christopher Eccelson shout, "WHY DON"T YOU JUST DIE!" But I do.

Some sound tracks are louder than others. But then again, I like Rush and Hendrix cranked up on my new 3 stereo speakers. Plus, now I am getting vibrations from the shaker at critical times. MMMMMM, MMMMMM, MMMMMM.

#4904 2 years ago

With the headphone station added on, you can change the orchestration without even opening the coin door.
Without the $50 headphone station, you open the coin door and simply lower the volume to zero and raise it back up. The pinsound will play a little chine sound to let you know the sounds have been changed over.

I just added the headphone station. and was wondering if it had the capability to change the orchestration.
Thanks.

#4905 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I don’t know if there’s video, but you can listen to it on the pinsound website

Well it is available for download on Pinsound. But it is not available to listen to like the other mixes for some reason.

I am technically challenged, as my camera does not do sounds. I think my phone does, but not sure about getting it from phone to here. I dont do Youtube.

#4920 2 years ago

Upgrade to the newest firmware on your pinsound.
There was an important improvement in the way the headphone station addresses the volume.
Its much better now as far as volume consistency.
I just "double tap" mine by turning the volume all the way down, then up a bit, then down again until I hear the pinsound jingle.
This works perfectly and headphones dont even have to be plugged in to it.
This is how I change the orchestrations and adjust game volume. I never open the coin door any more for this.

Now that I have learned the "double tap" on the headphone station, I am a happy camper about not opening coindoor when I want to change mixes. I have 5 mixes on my USB and it took 20 seconds, before I hear DAVROS saying "SO DOCTOR, WE MEET AGAIN!"

When I get a high score that lets me sign the Best Doctors Book, there is the sweetest music that plays.

#4934 2 years ago

Just returned from Pinfest in Allentown, PA. Not one Dr Who in Free play area or sale area. (There was a set of new Dr. Who Ramps) No used parts in the flea market area for it either. I did score a new lock down bar, Metal Flipper button protectors, a set of plastic hold downs for back glass, some Cointaker non-ghosting LEDS. I took my non-working New WPC89 Power Driver Board back to pinball basement, to see why the flippers did not work. He promises to send me a new one. I also scored a January 1993 WPC Schematic book for $10 from Marco. Makes me realize that I need to keep track of my spares and old parts I take off.

#4944 2 years ago

Agree with pinballreno. After replacing the Tardis with the USB one, I had same issue of kick out. It hard worked perfectly prior. I looked for parts first. Then, when I raised PF, I could see that the wire for the light in the Tardis was blocking the Optos. once I moved and ty wrapped the wire out of the way, it worked.

3 weeks later
#4966 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m not getting over it. That entire saga was thievery from the ground up. They befriended Rob, had him send info over to start selling his boards through their shop - then ghosted him and ripped off the design. Sure, it’s a fairly simple design - and they could have put out their own product thst does the same thing - he doesn’t own the conversion of 12v to 5v.
BUT.
They engaged with him, stole his design and then screwed him over.
Rob is a friend, and I have a lot of respect for him, and none of this is ok. I have bought my last PinSound board (coincidentally it was for another DW) but I am sticking it out with TiltAudio. I bought 11 PinSounds over the past 4 years.

I talked with Rob at Pinfest. He was a good dude. I had his original "no reset" board in my machine and asked about what it did. As I have not experienced a reset. I bought and installed his latest board with leds that indicate status of your power. He told me that as your CPU and power board ages, that voltages get less due to aging components. I asked him about Pinsound. He is still pissed at the ripoff. Claimed their board was a glorified expensive MP player.

#4979 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Wow! You guys are all so incredibly generous with your knowledge and your offers of help. I'll reach out. Thanks so much everyone. Very relieved that this is not a lost cause!

If we knew what state you were in, someone local could fix it quickly and test it with a meter. I have to agree that your soldering skills would increase quickly with practice and a welder soldering iron tip! A soldering gun and larger irons will only mess up your boards. The difference is like comparing an xacto knife with a butcher knife.

#4980 2 years ago

On a completely different topic...

Recently, after completing a MPF raising multi ball and it goes back down PF level. I know that I have to hit center target, to begin locking balls again in MPF. In the recent past, it would kick the ball back out, until I hit the center target. But last night and today, the right ball lock will let the ball sit and not kick it out. Then it goes into 3 ball finds and two MPF raises, until it is ejected.

I am thinking the Optos knows the ball is there, because prior to first multi ball, it sees the ball and displays on the screen that one or both balls are locked and goes to level two PF for mushroom bashing.

Would appreciate any ideas.

#4985 2 years ago

Definitely check for broken wires on the optos on the MPF.
You can test the optos with a finger on the MPF in test mode.
If optos are good then it can only be the solenoid not firing.

I hear what you are saying. And will try test mode next. I played a couple games today and it happened again.

So to be clear, the MPF is raising and lowering correctly to all three levels like it should. So that Opto is working.

The left Ball Lock Opto and coil are working perfectly too.

The right Ball Lock works correctly the first time in the game. The Light in front of it, is on steady with the ball in place. The DMD does its little movie where the half curtain goes around the right sided Doctor. So that tells me that the Opto sees that a ball is in place. Once all 15 mushrooms and light have been lit, the MPF drops to ground level and ejects both Locked balls, like it should. So that means that the coil is connected and firing. Once the MPF times out after getting some balls through the 3 red dalek doors, the MPF goes back down to ground level. And a Doctor mentions something about a timey wimey thing.

This is where it gets interesting (for me at least). If I lock a ball in the left Lock, without hitting the center target, the left coil shoots it out (usually SDTM). But then I get a "Second Chance" ball launch. The same thing used to happen on the right lock. But now the ball just goes into the right hole and the game waits a while, till it starts it "Ball Search 1, Ball Search 2 with raising MPF, and then it kicks the ball out and the game continues play with that ball.

However, if I hit the center target on round two, and lock the ball in the right or left hole, it registers that the balls are there. Once both balls are locked, I go into multiball Davros Mushroom bashing and then level 3 Dalek door time.

#4988 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

Almost finished - ColorDMD and LED-OCD on the way.
New everything, Clear-coated PF, Wobblehead.
Only single issue left is the machine wont hold memory even with new batteries. I assume Diode 1/2 on the MPU board have failed as there is no voltage going to the RAM VCC pin when the game is off.
Oh and the flippers need a slight alignment adjustment[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! You will appreciate the color DMD, as it enhances video mode.

#4996 2 years ago

I appreciate all the help and hints I get from Pinsiders. Your experiences and advice and gotten me down the road of pinball service.

Here is an interesting story about how the Doctor Who pinball machine has a mind of its own. I know that it stores high scores and loop champion, as well as a long list of audit history. Like how many games it has played, how much money it has made, how many free games it gave away, etc. Still learning that set of things.

#Pinballreno gave me hints on how to build a ladder, of how to get higher scores. I went into the software and manual. I set the game to Easy. I adjusted a bunch of the values. I set the WHO ramp "extra ball to 1". I set the Video mode to Easy and "Extra Ball to 1". I had replay set to 300,000. I was getting better at ramp shots, and multi-balls. I finally got a 1 billion score. Then several weeks later, my game changed itself. Video mode changed to the 1st version of wave 2 instead of 1. I have no idea what the WHO ramp changed to, but it is not set to 1 anymore, after I got several extra balls with it. Replay keeps going higher by itself and now is around 500,000. It is like the machine is learning that I am winning and making itself harder and harder.

Does any of this make sense? Has anyone else noticed their machine doing this? I guess, if I had it set on standard settings, I would not be seeing these changes....

1 week later
#5003 2 years ago

For those who would like to upgrade the static Dalek topper, Mark Davidson just finished 6 more of his famous Wobble head mechs. I just got another one, so he has 5 left. https://www.basementarcade.com/Project-Wobble-Head.html

#5018 2 years ago

So my machine that I just manually forced balls to light up targets and WHO extra ball, it only knocks on high score replay, and when special is lit on ESCAPE targets. Doing a W H O ramps in order and then going down the extra ball lane that is lit, only gets you an extra ball, NO knock. My machine is set to wave 5 video extra ball. So I went through all 5 videos and got extra ball, but No knock. I have original WPC 89 CPU with level 2 chip. My power board is from PinLED in Germany 2005. Wonder why the difference in your machines.

#5022 2 years ago

I know that the recent auction that the Museum (but not museum quality) pinballs and arcades sold for inflated prices, but can you believe that Doctor Who sold for $8000 plus shipping??? It did not even have any upgrades such as color DMD, or Pinsound board, or moving Dalek topper.

#5024 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

And don't forget auction fees

The $8000 included auction fees and taxes of 25%.

1 week later
#5032 2 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

@pinballnreno thanks! I saw your post about fifty pages back about bending the scoop down to keep shots from rejecting? Did you just use pliers? I don't want to mess anything up but the right multiball shot goes in almost every time and the left lock shot only about ten percent and never with straight shots.
Or do you seen anything else that may be an issue?[quoted image]

I would measure the height distance of the working scoop and duplicate it on the non-working one. I would use pliers of large channel lock pliers to bend it. I rebuilt my MPF a couple months back with the valuable use of the FAZ guide. I also added Cliffies to a new MPF wood from CPR. The old MPF was banged up pretty bad and I wanted my new one to last. While cleaning up and polishing the scoops before reattachment, I noticed one was out of shape and pointing to the sky. I had it out, so bent it with pliers in a vice to match the other one. Reattaching them with new screws in new wood was a challenge. But I pre-dimpled with a sharp nail where the screws were supposed to go. Then pre-drilled them smaller than the screws. While removing the old wood screws from the old MPF, I noticed how big the holes were, as the screws were sloppy holding the metal walls and scoop down. If you find this in yours, you may be able to increase the screw diameter one size, but may have to make the attachment holes bigger in the metal. Just my 2 cents. MPF After4 (resized).JPGMPF After4 (resized).JPG

Top MPF 1 (resized).JPGTop MPF 1 (resized).JPGOriginal vs New MPF Top (resized).JPGOriginal vs New MPF Top (resized).JPG
#5040 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I have uploaded a new Pinsound orchestration to the community site. It is the Radiohead remix. Why Radiohead? Why not. I always thought Radiohead had a lot of futuristic sounds to their music, and lots of instrumental segments. So, personally, I thought it would go well with Doctor Who.
Here is the link to download it. Any feedback is appreciated.
https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/file/365-radiohead-mix-pinballjah-v1/

Awesome Thanks. I have the others already loaded and change tunes every so often to keep it fresh!

#5051 2 years ago

I have had that ball stuck on the MPF and the motor/gear box jammed tight. I bought a new one with motor and gear box. I took the old motor off and it still ran free and on a 9 volt battery. The Gear box on the other had was stuck. I have not drilled out the rivets to see what went on inside. Yet.

#5056 2 years ago

I have been waiting in line for one of the ULF linear lift kits. Last I checked, I was #12. I will get the board mentioned as an option. I hope I get it soon. I have 3 things needed to be fixed on the MPF, but it still works. The Lock light on the left is out, The right mushroom is not registering hits (I have new Opto Boards), The right coil was firing occassionally, and now not at all.

#5061 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

ColourDMD installed.
SideBlades installed.
LEDOCD installed.
Mirror Backglass on floor - waiting for some system 11 plastic strips. Thanks pinballinreno
Just needs new glass and I think I’m done.

Your game looks better than new. Congrats. First time I have seen the mirror glass.

#5079 2 years ago

A lot of 18 and 22ga wire in pinball machines.

Thanks, that was my question on what size were the wires going to the MPF. I also googled Silicone Wires and was overwhelmed with choices and sizes. I think I will rewire my MPF, once I get the ULF raising kit. The original wires are hard and brittle. I am looking at Molex connector sizes next. I have labeled all my plastic connectors going to the MPF, as well as written down the colors of the wires, and where they go to. Some of the stripes have changed color with time though. Maybe in my spare time, I will put it on a spread sheet or word document.

1 week later
#5082 2 years ago

ULF is making me one of his linear lift kits for the MPF. This will be a vast improvement, instead of the wobble raising kit that it came with originally. You can see on most games how it scratches the right side of vertical cover decal.

In another development, I have changed my WPC89 power board from the 2005 PinLED board to a Dumbass Board. The ghosting on the playfield GI circuit with regular bulbs has gone away. The game performs perfect. Happy pinball player.

#5089 2 years ago

Has he reached out to you yet? I am patiently waiting on this kit as well! Very excited to get it installed eventually.

Yes ULF has reached out. We discussed options. I want it all except the powder coating. The improved motor board from pellew as well.

Time to order some orange, grey, black, red, violet, blue, and green flexible 22 gauge wire.

2 weeks later
#5091 2 years ago

I am so excited, like a kid Christmas morning...The smooth Lifter kit for Mini-Playfield has arrived for my Doctor Who Pinball.
I now have everything, including new Opto Boards and holder, new 12 pin plug and silicone flexible wires, new Motor and gear box.
Thanks to all here with advice on where to get wire, connectors, and parts. Especially #darkpinball ULF for a well thought out kit and instructions.
I have read the instructions 3 times and am still absorbing the information. At least I have identified all the parts and am locating tools in the tool box.
Let the tear down begin and an improved Mini-playfield.
So glad I have an extra Mini-playfield mechanism to experiment on, while still being able to play the game.

251089637_4881457195211857_4747822512502618142_n (resized).jpg251089637_4881457195211857_4747822512502618142_n (resized).jpg251147722_4881457621878481_4620328952012574913_n (resized).jpg251147722_4881457621878481_4620328952012574913_n (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5106 2 years ago

I am in the middle of tear down of the MPF to add the ULF lifter kit. Many thanks again to Faz for the guide, even though I have done it 3 times now. Things I have found as I was swapping over parts.

1. I had a non-working left Lock Light not working on the MPF forever. I checked the bulb, the bulb holder, the diodes, the Yellow/Green wire that is common to both Lock Lights. I even checked the voltage coming off the GI circuit plug. I finally found that the Red/Blue stripe wire going into the 4 pin plug was not making connectivity but was connected. Will replace with my new flexible wire, plugs and molex connectors and tools.

2. MPF Right kickout would only work occasionally. Found wire was hanging on by a thread onto coil. Reattached wire stronger.

3. Switch Error 71- Right Mushroom Opto was not working. Swapped in new boards and tested. All 5 mushroom Optos registering in test.

I had to paint the motor wheel (as recommended by ULF). It has now dried and is attached with Huge set screws and locktight.

I found it interesting, being able to test pieces parts of the MPF while it was out, and the parts plugged in to diagnose problems in test mode. Helps to have a spare MPF all apart to plug in to see if it is in the main harness, on a board, or local to the MPF parts. Pictures to follow once I have things going back together. I am still having fun.

#5107 2 years ago

First, I want to say how great the ULF smooth lifter system works!

Second, the instructions were almost idiot proof.

Third, the adjustability to level MPF (side to side and up/down) is fantastic. The kit included 4 different thickness shims for either the left or right side attachment to Main Playfield. I only needed the 1 mm thickness shim on the left side to level out the MPF. With the shipped height of the connecting rod, I need to shorten it by 1 mm (which will be one 360 degree turn = .8 mm). With the MPF fully extended in Test mode (as recommended), I measured a height of 88 mm before starting and when finished. I would highly recommend buying the cam wheel, instead of modifying the stock one (Makes life so much easier).

Fourth, before the MPF would wobble and scrape both sides of the metal enclosure. See Picture. And by the way, where do I get those decals. Have yet to find them on any site. Now the MPF goes straight up and down like an elevator should.

Hope I don't overwhelm the Whovian Club with pictures, but they show the awesomeness of the engineering.

Enjoy.
DSCF2662 (resized).JPGDSCF2662 (resized).JPGDSCF2648 (resized).JPGDSCF2648 (resized).JPGDSCF2654 (resized).JPGDSCF2654 (resized).JPGDSCF2656 (resized).JPGDSCF2656 (resized).JPGDSCF2640 (resized).JPGDSCF2640 (resized).JPGDSCF2644 (resized).JPGDSCF2644 (resized).JPGDSCF2652 (resized).JPGDSCF2652 (resized).JPGDSCF2649 (resized).JPGDSCF2649 (resized).JPGDSCF2627 (resized).JPGDSCF2627 (resized).JPG

#5113 2 years ago

Yeah these are the good ones!
Some from you (thank you so much!), some from others, All were sorted out and cleaned up in photoshop or GIMP.
No low rez scans here.

They look better than the originals! I printed them on plain paper first and was impressed. Now waiting for Sticky Photo paper to arrive.

Any tips on removing old decals from the metal surround? I have goo gone, sand paper, wire wheel attachment of drill, Scrapers, etc. that I used getting cabinet decals off.

#5114 2 years ago

All the adjustments to MPF vertical and horizontal are complete. Ulf advised me to remove the fuse from the motor, that a previous owner had installed. If a ball got stuck, the fuse would supposedly blow before the new Bi-directional board could reverse the motor. That has now been done and it gave me chance to replace the wires and Molex connectors with new.

I am absorbing the directions for installing the new Bi-directional board. It will plug right in where the original board is, but there are adjustments to be made to the raising and lowering locations of the MPF, via adj. pots. I wanted the MPF to work correctly first before installing the board. I guess it is time now to work on that.

Something I was worried about and seems to have come true with adding the shaker. Loose screws are showing up in the bottom of the cabinet or attached to the magnet of the speaker. I knew when I replaced the flipper coils that some of those screws did not tighten too well. I have performed the toothpick glue trick and am hoping this will help.

#5117 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

Heat them up with hair dryer or hot air gun and they peel straight off

Thanks, that did the trick and they did peal off easily. I took my exacto knife to lift the corners. There were TWO layers of original decals on the inside, with long vertical gouges on both sides, where the MPF would wobble and scrape on the way up and the way down. The smooth lifter kit solved that issue.

The mailman delivered my sticky back photo paper today. Its like Christmas. I printed the files #pinballinreno sent me (Huge Thanks). They are beautiful on glossy photo paper. I noticed they are slightly larger, as the original did not cover the whole metal area. So these are even better. If anyone needs a printed copy, PM me. I got a box of that paper now. Maybe I will try printed those two front cards on that glossy paper too.

Lastly, I had replaced the stock Tardis with the USB one, I saw in a post here. I finally got around to installing a blue LED in the top. Like a cherry on top of a sundae, only Blue!!!

DSCF2664 (resized).JPGDSCF2664 (resized).JPGDSCF2673 (resized).JPGDSCF2673 (resized).JPGDSCF2681 (resized).JPGDSCF2681 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#5121 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

FYI: Have a brand new Motor Controller from pellew, who was a partner with Ulf's Lifter kit. I did not install this one into a game I was restoring at customers request, so I am offering to the group. See pic. Pm for price. [quoted image]

I just installed one and it was easy. Wish I had new black standoffs first. It makes raising and lowering MPF really easy, so that you can adjust the height of MPF. I am still learning how to adjust the Time and Current.

1 week later
#5127 2 years ago

I am no expert, but when I replaced my coils on the flippers and the leaf switches, I had a similar problem with the adjustment of the leaf switch that the arm the moves.

2 weeks later
#5133 2 years ago

How wide is your back box? Mine is 28 3/4. Is that standard?

Just measured mine. You are correct 28 3/4 wide and 28 1/2 tall.

DSCF1974 (resized).JPGDSCF1974 (resized).JPG
#5145 2 years ago

As far as I can tell I’m running the latest firmware. But I installed it on the same stick as the orchestrations. Maybe that’s the issue. Wasn’t aware that firmware should be installed on a different stick, but I’ll try it. Thanks!

Yes, different sticks. I made that mistake when I first got mine. I also learned you can only have 6 music tracks on one stick.

#5161 2 years ago

What your Opto Carrier should look like from Swinks with boards installed and no interference of the mushroom interrupters. Be careful removing the c clips on the mushrooms, as they will fly and get lost. Ask me How I Know. But Marcos sells those too, along with new mushrooms (as does Swinks). Make sure to wrap the open back and sides with black paper, to prevent light leakage. Esp. if you have LEDs under playfield or MPF.

Opto Carrier2 (resized).jpgOpto Carrier2 (resized).jpg
#5170 2 years ago

Have you ever wondered what some of the writing or stamps on the top or edges or back or your Doctor Who Playfield meant? During my cabinet renovation, I documented some of those marks and stamps. Because one day, I would have a better understanding of them. Today is that day. I found a website of a playfield restorer who documented the history of the subcontractors that made Bally Doctor Who and other Pinballs. I found it an interesting read.

I have 3 Sun Process Dr. Who playfields, as they all say Diamond Plate on them and have SP marked under the Apron. TAG playfields are not marked Diamond Plate and have pinkish flesh tones on the PF faces, whereas DP has yellowish faces. Look closely at Picture 1 (TAG) compared to Picture 2 and 3 (SP) to see the missing Diamond Plate logo under the Master. From the Front Edge, my original PF was made or approved on Nov 13, 1992. There is also a *11 hand marked as well on the edge. A red marker 58 is on the bottom of the PF by the left flipper coil.

http://www.lasvegasplayfields.com/playfield-information/

Thomas A. Grant (TAG): Thomas A. Grant is the son of Thomas Grant who founded Ad Posters. TAG made playfields and plastics for Williams in the 1990‘s. They also made the backglasses for No Good Gofers. TAG was bought in 2001 by Gene Cunningham (of Illinois Pin Ball). All the assets of the company moved to IPB. Until then Stern Pinball used TAG for their playfields (Stern’s Austin Powers was the last made made by TAG), but after this sale Stern switched to Churchill (who already delivered their cabinets) as playfield supplier. Gene, from IPB, never really did anything with the TAG equipment. I am unsure of what happened to all the TAG equipment that Gene got from the sale. I do know that it was missing from IPB when James from Pinball Inc bought all the remaining IPB stuff.

Electronic Sound Corp (ESC): Electronic Sound was a contractor for multiple pinball companies but Gottlieb/Premier was their biggest account. Gottlieb used ESC for all their playfields and cabinets between 1978 until they stopped making pinball machines in 1996. The last playfield ESC made for Gottlieb was ‘Brooks N Dunn’. Bally/Williams used ESC mostly for WPC speaker DMD wood panels and some playfield routing.

Lenc-Smith (LS): Probably every Bally cabinet and playfield since around 1968 was made by them. In 1988 Bally sold their pinball division, including Lenc-Smith, to WMS Industries. Lenc-Smith made almost all the cabinets for Williams / Bally pinball machines and Midway arcade games. What they did exactly to a playfield changed over the years. In the beginning they created the complete playfield, starting from bare wood. After the failed clear coating attempts with their LS Topcoat they did not do any clear coating and sublet that to Sun Process until 1996 when LS moved into the CCC building. Lenc-Smith did produce plastics for some games, which can be identified by the -LS extension of the part number. Williams sold Lenc-Smith to the Churchill Cabinet Company. Churchill moved into the Lenc-Smith building in 1996.

Sun Process (SP): They printed and clear coated playfields, but also made playfield plastics (SP- is printed in the part number on plastics like slingshots of some games). They invented Diamond Plate as a playfield protection in the late 1980‘s. Diamond Plate clear coating started to be used on pinball playfields by Williams around 1990. (see below for more information about DP). Sun Process only worked for Williams. Ron Baum, who did the sales for Sun Process, told me the cooperation started in the early 1980’s when Williams searched for a new company to provide them with decals and playfields. The first thing Sun Process did for Williams were the artwork for the Defender video arcade game. Space Shuttle pinball machine was the first SP/Williams project. They used a 4 color printing process for the backglass. Sun Process was able to deliver Williams every type of screen printed plastic part used on a pinball machines and arcade games: the backglass, translites (subcontracted to another company), cabinet decals, playfields, dmd insert panels and playfield plastics. In the early nineties when there was a lot of demand for pinball machines (like Addams Family, Twilight Zone and Getaway’s), Sun Process delivered up to 200 playfields a day to Williams. Sun Process playfields tend to hold up better and the colors are preferred to by most collectors. Example: The hot pink colors on the CFTBL (Creature From the Black Lagoon) playfields (these are all SP made playfields). The brighter red colors on TZ (Twilight Zone) playfields or the purple colors on the Addams Family playfields are all made by Sun Process. The only real exception to this is the Sun Process made Theatre of Magic playfields. They are terrible and most collectors prefer the Thomas A. Grant (TAG) made TOM (Theatre of Magic) playfields. The Sun Process made Dr Who playfields have a higher resolution printing than the TAG made Dr. Who playfields.

Diamond Plate: Diamond Plate is a clear coat coating that was developed in the late 1980‘s by Sun Process and Dupont. Ken Fedesna, Vice President at Williams, asked Sun Process to develop a coating to make pinball playfields more durable. Their answer was Diamond Plate or basically an automotive urethane clear coat. Diamond Plate clear coating added several years to the commercial lifespan of pinball machines, taking away a bit of the need for operators to buy new games. Diamond Plate was initially named XR-7 and a few prototype Banzai Run’s, Earthshakers, Funhouse and Bride of Pinbots were coated with Diamond Plate and are stamped (usually handwritten) XR-7 on the front edge of the playfield.

Lenc-Smith made their own version of clear coat and named it L.S. Topcoat. It is not uncommon to find sample Funhouse pins that are stamped with the ‘LS Topcoat’ logo. However LS Topcoat was found to be not as durable as Diamond Plate.

The first game that had Diamond Plate on its non-prototype games was Bride of Pinbot, Whirlwind and Dr. Dude but issues happened with colors so it was not applied on the whole run. About 200 BOP and Whirlwind factory Diamond Plate playfields were made and 100 Dr. Dude playfields were done in Diamond Plate. By the time Getaway was in production it was perfected. Terminator 2 was the first game to have Diamond Plate on all of its playfields. These games all have the DP logo somewhere near the right outlane.

TAG also clear coated playfields but these do not have a Diamond Plate logo. Games like Twilight Zone that were made by TAG were also clear coated by them. After a few years (around 1994) Williams dropped the Diamond Plate logo from all playfields. They could still be made / clear coated by Sun Process, but as competitors also had a hardcoat clear coating on their playfields, there wasn’t a marketing advantage anymore by labeling a clear coated playfield as such.

Shortly after the introduction of Diamond Plate by Williams, most other pinball companies (Data East and Capcom) also started to clear coat their playfields. Data East named their clear coat ‘Stealth Coat’ (or Stealth Hardcoat) and started to apply this as of their Star Trek 25th Anniversary pinball machine. Gottlieb (or Electronic Sound as they made the playfields) never made the switch and continued to still use lacquer.

If you read all the way through this history, give me a thumbs up post, and maybe add photos of your PF edges with identifying info marks.
Cheers and Happy 2022 New Year!!! Play Ball.

9 (resized).jpeg9 (resized).jpegplayfield13 (resized).jpgplayfield13 (resized).jpgPlayfield84 (resized).jpgPlayfield84 (resized).jpgDSCF2021 (resized).JPGDSCF2021 (resized).JPG

#5173 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Looks like my swinks opto housing is coming next week. My plan is to put it all together, cover with black fish paper then plug just the optos into the game to test. That way I don’t have to keep putting the mech in and out. Is that a decent plan? I know other things can shift the optos around once it’s all in there but at least that will give me closure that the optos work.
Also saved the posts from when Reno did all their work to this game. Thanks for documenting. Very easy to follow and good tips I didn’t consider.

I did the same plan recently. I turned it on and went straight into test switch mode to check mushroom optos worked. And they did.

#5177 2 years ago

For those of you who have installed the smooth lifter kit, how long did the full install including the motorboard take? Trying to block out some time but don’t know how much I’ll need if I want to do it all on one go.

I took about 6 hours and did it in two evenings. I have taken the MPF out several times, so I know all the tools I need and have the FAZ guide mesmorized. LOL. I replaced the Opto boards as well, as one opto was burnt. See previous posts a couple pages back for reference.

#5180 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Gonna need some special tools to pop those connectors out of their housings. Best to buy both sizes.

Agree. I tried popping witH pins, tweezers, needle nose pliers, and xacto knife. But once I bought the special tools, like a small metal straw, it works great! Then the real molex pliers work great, once you watch the video on YouTube. I will admit to screwing up several pins trying to learn the process. A quality wire stripper pliers is also a great help. I even bought a special wire stuffer for the connectors that go to the boards.

The lights take the smaller wire and you need more of it. The coils take the larger 18 gauge, I believe.

#5183 2 years ago

#Pinballinreno I am constantly amazed at how smart you are and helpful. Thanks for all you do!

#5194 2 years ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

Hi all! Just joined the club. Wow what a fun pin. Very underrated. Say, does anyone have any extra plastics? I’m missing both plastics to the right and left of the transporter. Asking for a friend

Welcome to the club of Doctor Who pinball. The plastics are most all listed on Ebay. One guy in the Russian Federation sells the whole set. Another guy sells them separately. There is pinball website in the UK that I have gotten some parts from that are not stocked at my favorite Marcos site. https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/doctor-who/?p=1 They have all the plastics too. Share a picture of your game when you get a chance.

I have an extra set of Dalek Sling shot plastics if you happen to break one. During my restoration, I chose to replace the screws and nuts with shiny new ones and added washers to the top of my plastics.

#5196 2 years ago

There are two actually. That are stacked on top of each other. The bottom one is triangular with an arrow on it. The top one is Transmat Faster and attaches to the upper right Pop Bumper. Does this help?

Plastics (resized).jpgPlastics (resized).jpgPlayfield20 (resized).jpgPlayfield20 (resized).jpg
#5198 2 years ago

ruralcollector Do you mean this decal on the metal surround of the Mini Playfield? If so, it is part of the metal surround and not plastic, just like the left side. I was sent decal files recently to replace my scratched ones.

Rebuild11 (resized).JPGRebuild11 (resized).JPG
#5207 2 years ago

I will be needing one of these MPF surrounds in the future for a build I am attempting. Therefore, I am making a construction paper template. I have a neighbor that has a sheet metal break that will help cut and fold metal. It may take some time to accomplish this.

#5208 2 years ago

I took the MPF surround out of my game today and measured it. I traced the metal sides and wrote the measurements down on construction paper. It required cutting with scissors and taping it back together, so it is one piece to be cut out of sheet metal and then folded into shape. There is a Left, Right and Back section. The Right and Left sections get folded Down and the Back section gets folded up. Probably wise to drill the 5 holes while it is still flat. Glad I bought that package of sticker paper, so that I can make the decals I got from Pinballinreno. Will follow up once I source the stainless metal (probably Lowes or Home Depot).

DSCF2710 (resized).JPGDSCF2710 (resized).JPGDSCF2711 (resized).JPGDSCF2711 (resized).JPGDSCF2713 (resized).JPGDSCF2713 (resized).JPGDSCF2712 (resized).JPGDSCF2712 (resized).JPG
#5212 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I have asked for a template so my Tinsmith friend can make one and he can add measurements for bends based on material thickness.
This is going to be a great addition to the database.
Ken

The measured thickness of the metal the MPF surround is .05 mm and 1/16 is equal to .0625 mm and it almost 24 gauge. So depending on what your metal supply is, those are you options. Hope this helps.

#5215 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Hang on 1/16" equals 0.0625 inches, not mm, so the thickness is 1/2 (.05)mm and what metal guage chart are you using? Aluminum, Steel, Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel? Many are different gauges.

You are right, I picked the first Gauge chart I found on internet. So probably wrong there.

The vernier caliper is in thousands of an inch. The reading was .050 inch. I went to the local hardware store with my caliper in hand and the closest I found thickness wise was 16 GA Weld Steel, on the label. It measured .060 inch. The other choice was .032 inch and felt too flimsy. I will be able to get two surrounds from this piece of sheet metal.

DSCF2715 (resized).JPGDSCF2715 (resized).JPG
#5219 2 years ago

More good news for me today! My NOS playfield is being cleared and made more perfect. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread/page/35 Post 1712. My Pin Rotiseirre is in the mail. The Game is playing really well. Now if the snow and cold weather would just go away.

#5227 2 years ago

Ok. Starting to install the smooth lifter kit. Any advice on getting the inner bracket out? Can’t seem to get the inner rollers out and afraid to force it.

I had to force it open, twist it and squeeze it back together. Glad you figured it out. Make sure you get it back to square using a T-square or equivalent.

#5228 2 years ago

Update on MPF surround creation. First, 16 gauge metal that I got from hardware store is too thick to cut with hand shears. I bought a new set of hand shears from Harbor Freight. Next I dropped down to thinner sheet metal 18 gauge. The cheap Chinese hand shears had a hard time cutting any curved parts of the 18 gauge metal. I went to a metal shop next and the old equipment they had made a mess of my metal. Frustrated. Finally, going to buy an electric metal shears that is rated to do 16 gauge with fresh new blades so it won't chew up the metal. Grrr. Learning curve is steep.

1 week later
#5285 2 years ago

Several things to bring up.
First = Barry Ousler who designed the Doctor Who Pin just changed jobs to American Pinball. Could we get a remake with 13 Doctors?

Second = A guy on Facebook Pinball Enthusiasts posted about his two Doctor who machines. What is special, is that one is a prototype and he had lots of pictures of the differences. My thought is, if he does not post here (as was suggested), I will repost the fantastic picture differences. Red Boards, different decal colors, etc.

Third - There was a Pinball tournament in California this past weekend (IND.SC). There was a nice no fade Doctor Who machine on the right side of the Womens tournament video. And on left side of this set up video, look for the Dalek on top. It is in the center ring of pinballs.

Fourth - There has not been a Doctor Who for sale here for several months. Two on overpriced FleaBay.

#5296 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hey everyone! I am going to stream Dr Who in 10 mins and really test out these new pindora box optos.
The Pinball Network on Youtube and Facebook
www.twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
Come hang out and chat!

It was interesting to watch you play and stream. I don't feel so bad about my playing now. LOL
I have a problem getting loops. But am real good on video mode.
I see you have a credit dot - error somewhere.
I don't have a twitch acct so could not comment.
I also see that Doctor 2 bulb is out on back glass.
I am so glad I have color DMD and the Pinsound. I love the custom mixes.

#5298 2 years ago

Finally. They told me last year it was going to be available. I went with an NOS playfield when they did not make it on my timetable. It is getting the Ron Kruzman treatment right now.

#5299 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Any upgrades or other parts I should replace while the mini playfield is out and awaiting motor?

Cliffies if it does not have them already. Shaker is nice, that hooks into pinsound board.

#5302 2 years ago

Another picture from the Pinball tournament in California this past weekend (IND.SC). Was anyone there that competed in the tournament and got to play it or see it?

273848609_10159046213713423_7142865433117694587_n (resized).jpg273848609_10159046213713423_7142865433117694587_n (resized).jpg
#5312 2 years ago

Today was the first time that I got a ball caught by MPF going down, since I installed the ULF smooth lifter kit and pellew motor board. Several months ago, with the original parts and motor board, when it happened, the motor and gear box broke! This time, it was a split second jam, then MPF reversed direction and freed up the ball to drop down the subway ramp. Whew. Was almost in the market for another motor gearbox. The pellew motor board worked as advertised. There is one for sale in the marketplace.

#5316 2 years ago

Yes there is a setting that allows WPC to adjust the hardness and ease of getting extra ball. You can turn it off. Will have to reread manual to remember what that setting is.

#5318 2 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

OK I see it now. A2.03 (video) and A2.05 (WHO) EB auto adjustment setting percentages. Now rereading the descriptions it makes sense what it's saying. I'll turn those off for now. Thanks guys for pointing me to what I should have read.

That is Ok. I had to have someone here 6 months ago point it out to me, after reading manual a dozen times.

#5320 2 years ago
Quoted from mima:

How to best adress this forward play in the mini playfield?
As it is it leans forward and jam against the main playfield while moving up and down.

Cheers
/mima

Looks like either the rollers or the vertical track is worn. I know you can buy the rollers from Marcos and maybe the track too.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23306
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15037

It will require a rebuild of the MPF with the help of the Faz Guide. But what would really fix it, would be an ULF smooth lifter kit! It is mentioned earlier in these posts as well as its own post, if you did a search. Unfortunately, you might be waiting 6 months to a year for that kit.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-smooth-lifter-kit-interest-waiting-thread

DSCF2646 (resized).JPGDSCF2646 (resized).JPG
#5328 2 years ago

He is asking $6800 for it. With all the expensive upgrades that many of us here have invested in.
There is one on Ebay with a faded cabinet for $5950, stock orange DMD, No pinsound, No Cliffys and some LEDs.
There is another on Ebay for $7495 with a Color DMD and some garish looking LEDs. It at least has Cliffys and claims to be shopped out with new rubbers, but does not show if the cabinet is faded (which is why they don't have those pictures).
Then there is the $9500 one on Ebay that has been there for a year. Slight fade on one side. Has Cliffys. Does not say it is upgraded to any new boards, like Pinsound or Color DMD.

Mine will only leave my house, when I am in a casket. I may try to bring to whatever nursing home, the wife sticks me in (20 years from now).

#5330 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Who me? I don't have mine listed

Sorry another guy here on pinside has one for sale.

#5342 2 years ago

DavidJHowe - I speak UK and understand what you are asking, as I had an English Mum and lived there for 6 years. Fly me to England and I will be happy to fix your pinball. Just kidding of course. I could get in my Tardis and show up, but that might cause a scene.

You are talking about the grey Mushroom switches on level 2 of the Mini-Playfield and the springs behind them. If I were you, I would Google search for pinball dealers in your area that sell pinballs. Like https://www.pinballuk.co.uk/ for example. They will know who the techs are in your area. But they may be very pricey per hour, like an auto repairman.

Second, download and read thoroughly this guide. The Faz guide has all of the wiring info you might need as well as troubleshooting info:

http://www.pinballsupernova.com/images/TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf . Someone working on your machine will need this guide on how to remove and reinstall the mini-playfield.

Third, Here is one resource for parts for your machine in your country that I have used several times. https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/doctor-who/ . You can see that they sell the target button (buffers as you call them). And the 10-298 springs behind them. They are held on by small E-Clips (don't loose them as they fly off and disappear). You might find them at a hardware store if you are lucky.

The next mountain to climb, will be putting the Mini-Playfield back together so that it works. Here are some hints. You say your machine was working. Was there a Dot or Period after the word "Credit" on your screen? That means something is not right with a switch or an OPTO. There are two OPTO boards behind the Bumpers, that many of us have had problems with the Opto lights going bad on the board due to age recently. They may need to be replaced, which will require soldering and a small knowledge of electronics and wiring colors. Also many of us here have switched out the black plastic carrier that holds the Bumpers and Optos together. https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded?optionId=127913620&li=marketplace That site has some good pictures of what you need to replace.

Best wishes.
chris

#5348 2 years ago

RetroGamez can you share a picture of the back of the PF? Want to see the dimple pattern on the back. Then want to hear how well components screws match up with the dimples/holes.

#5368 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

What upgrades are essential for this game? Everything is working, but eventually I will be tearing it all apart and clear coating. I have seen a motor driver board on PBL, but wasn't sure if that board makes a difference. Would love any upgrade items available. I will have to 3D print the dalek head for my topper (the head is gone but the body is still intact). Curious of where to obtain all that I will need for topper to move. Any link/info is much appreciated, guys!

TheCapn
1. Well, for starters you need Cliffy's for the high wear spots. Then wait 6 weeks. http://www.passionforpinball.com/drwho.htm
2. Sign up for ULF's smooth lifter kit, then wait a year. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-smooth-lifter-kit-interest-waiting-thread
3. Contact Mark Davidson, and see if he has any Dalek moving head motor/mechs. https://www.basementarcade.com/Project-Wobble-Head.html
4. Get a color DMD, as it enhances the video portion of the game. https://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-doctor-who-pinball-machine/
5. Get a Pinsound+ sound board to get stereo and custom mixes. Upgrade the speakers too. https://www.pinsound.org/machine/doctor-who/
6. Get a Shaker from Pinsound or other source. https://www.pinsound.org/motion-control-shaker/
7. Marcos Specialties carries many of the parts. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/74

Then there is always "Alternate Translight, LEDs, Britemods LED flipper buttons, SideBlades, Mods by swinks to cover the ramp switches, the USB Tardis conversion, New Clear ramps, New Plastics, CPR playfield and MPF, Replacement cabinet decals, and the list goes on.

#5372 2 years ago

As I attempt to build a Dr. Who from spare salvaged parts, it is interesting to find all the one-off parts this game has. They are unique and most have been found around the world so far.

I found the Lamp boards, Trap door assembly, back box metal plate from a guy in Argentina. I got several parts from France, Germany, UK and Australia. I was worried that I was going to have to use ball guides from another game, when a used set showed up in Florida.

The wiring Harnesses came from NY. The transformer from Ohio. The MPF assembly from Virginia Beach. As I rewire the switches that were cut off, I am learning about wire color code consistency and daisy chaining from one part to another.

I bought new switches and coils. With the help from WireBot, I am making molex connections to the coils, which makes the shorter original wires go farther too.

One of the last switches, threw me through a loop. I finally found the part # in the 32-page parts list. The Part number of the assembly is: A-15477 Switch Bracket Assembly. It is composed of #01-10717 Bracket Switch MTG and #5647-12693-36 Switch Sub Mini Micro Switch. It is picture3. It is a trap door micro switch with blade. But it is on a long 1 1/2" bracket that no one lists or carries. I contacted Marcos and asked if they would look on the shelf for something close. The 4th picture is what they sent me of #P-126-559. The last picture is off the website, https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/P-126-559. It is for a Bally EM game.

It is a good thing I have a working game to reference to. The manual is confusing sometimes. The wires are listed a White-blue but does that mean blue stripe or blue dot. I am currently tracing that wire from the ball trough switches to a diode that attaches to the playfield on the right side that then goes to a rollover switch ball return that then maybe goes to sling switch and maybe onto a target switch? Fun Fun Fun.

DSCF2727 (resized).JPGDSCF2727 (resized).JPGDSCF2728 (resized).JPGDSCF2728 (resized).JPGDSCF2747 (resized).JPGDSCF2747 (resized).JPGthumbnail_IMG_4352 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4352 (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

#5374 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Good News, Here is the Mini playfield shroud my friend made from the template provided to me. We used glavanized steel and I think it came out nice. I don't have a game to test it on. Anyone willing to test this for me? I will pay for shipping.
Ken
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I will gladly test it on my machine and will put a set of decals on it for free and send it back. I failed in my attempt. I chose too thick metal and then too thin. The harbor freight shears were cheap chinese and would not cut the thick metal and mangled the thin tinfoil metal.

1 week later
#5397 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

If there is demand for another (domestic for a large portion of forum readers) US supplier I can raid my Doctor Who (still very much a project as it has been for years now) and get to these boards and reproduce them. I honestly didn't think there would be much demand for them as they are a fairly simple board (from a board and electrical standpoint). If there's a supplier I generally don't bother (re-)making a board as there's so many others to do. This is the primary reason why I haven't bothered with a Twilight Zone clock board either.
If you want to fix your old board I would recommend using QED123 for the IR transmitter and QSD124 for the phototransistor. Those are the parts I would use if I were to make a reproduction. If you only want to replace the minimum then you should replace the IR transmitter (QED123) as those parts are the ones that are always on and driven hard by the opto board.

DumbAss You don't have to raid your machine, if you don't want to. I have a set with one bad opto and a marco set (that apparently will have problems). Would be in the market for a working set from you.

#5401 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Hey Rick
I just was notified of ordering some parts - you probably should of just ordered this one instead.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded?optionId=127913620&li=marketplace
If you are quick contact shapeways and cancel the order and just order the part above.
Jady

That is the one that I ordered as well and it works great. I also have the other one that fits inside the original channel. That is when you discover how warped the original gets.

Opto Carrier2 (resized).jpgOpto Carrier2 (resized).jpg
#5418 2 years ago

I opened my machine up, took the glass off, lifted playfield to get a current picture of the switch in question. There are two diodes! Looking at the back of the switch, one diode on the red wire goes to the lamp. But if you look closely, there is another Diode that goes from the top of the switch, down to the bottom of the switch, where the white wire connects. Which is closest to the cabinet. The green wire further away from cabinet on the bottom of the switch.

I have also included the slam tilt switches on the coin door, bend that sucker up. As well as the bottom slam tilt switch below the tilt bob, bend that sucker up too.

DSCF2760 (resized).JPGDSCF2760 (resized).JPGDSCF2761 (resized).JPGDSCF2761 (resized).JPGDSCF2762 (resized).JPGDSCF2762 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#5431 2 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I found the issue in the switches!!! Someone at some point wires this switch way wrong! Fixed the wiring and put a new diode just to make sure and everything is working perfect now! Big thanks to everyone who helped trying to figure this out. [quoted image]

Yikes, I hope that is the before picture. The green wire goes in the middle and the white wire goes to the front where bending wire protrudes from the switch.

#5434 2 years ago

Pictures of my Back Box Boards (BBB). The Red boards (Fliptronics II, MPU, and Power) are from @dumbass. The Black boards (Pinsound+, DMDLUX and Shaker) from Pinsound. I highly recommend these boards as they work great in Doctor Who Pinball machine. I also love the COLORDMD and Lit Speaker Panel. The old working boards are destined for my build of another Dr. Who machine from parts.

DSCF2768 (resized).JPGDSCF2768 (resized).JPGDSCF2771 (resized).JPGDSCF2771 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#5449 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Fabrication is in progress. Submitted the fabrication order the other day. Four boards. Two versions. One original. Another with header for easy quick disconnect. Not sure if this header/connector will fit (I measured) but ultimately a physical board will provide the definitive answer.
Rendering follows. Transmitter boards will be GREEN. Receivers boards will be BLUE. Just like the originals as far as color scheme goes.

I am in for a header board set if it fits please.

Anyone want a set of new Gulf boards?

#5451 2 years ago

I began a new thread on my build of a new Doctor Who pinball in the restoration section.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1992-doctor-who-restoration-build#post-6879402

So far, I have a head built with boards and a light panel. My cabinet is on order, but the decals have shown up thankfully. The NOS PF and MPF is at Ron Kruzman getting inserts leveled, and many coats of clear. Meanwhile, I can still play my Who pinball till all the parts show up. Going to be a fun summer!

#5453 2 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Hey! Does anyone have any extra sling plastics (Specifically right sling)? Mine is beyond repair and interested in replacing.

Sent you a PM. Happy Easter.

1 week later
#5468 2 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

I’ve done that multiple times.
It wasn’t until I switched the Pandora LED board with a Gulf LED board that I could get the optos register. I just didn’t check the mushroom targets interrupting the optos before I put it back together. At this point, I can strip the mini PF out and apart in about five minutes.

We feel your pain and many have been down this rough road unfortunately. I did the MPF in the bottom of the cabinet the last time I had an Optos issue. I had a spare known working Optos boards to swap out. And it continues to work for me. I bought the Marcos Gulf boards to replace my backup. But now concerned that they are untrustworthy. I am hoping the Dumbass ones are the permanent cure.

#5481 1 year ago
Quoted from Weazel:

I recently bought a Doctor Who.
My second pin and it's going to need some work.
I've got a lot of reading to do here, to get up to speed on restoring it and adding mods.
I was in my teens when Dr Who appeared on TV.
Like many, I had a fascination with the Daleks.
Enjoyed the meeting between Daleks and Cybermen.
My son is smitten by Dr Who and is a mastermind of Dr Who trivia.
He's pretty pleased the Doctor has made an appearance!
I've already ordered a "wobblyhead" for the dalek.
A must have, I reckon.
The cabinet is a bit battered and its only been partially fitted with leds.
All the 555 wedge bulbs are still in place.
Could someone please advise me, of what a suitable led would be, to replace the 555s.

Congrats on your new pinball. There are many hints and suggestions in the previous pages. I started last year and was helped by reading the pages and taking advice from some very seasoned pinball maniacs here.

I bought the wobble head servo first and it worked and was easy to install once I cut some thin plexi to mount it. Then I found out about the real version from Mark Davidson. BIG difference in operation and much more expensive.

You will read here how Pinsound audio board with custom mixes make the game come alive, esp with a shaker motor too.

Your question about LEDs is interesting and has multiple answers. Comet pinball sells LED kits as well as individuals. The issue I ran into was that the LEDs flashed when other bulbs flashed and were not supposed to. They make some boards that fix it, but I have not gotten them yet.

#5490 1 year ago

My new build of my 2nd Doctor Who is coming along great! Using a new Cabinet was a whole lot easier than the rebuild of Doctor #1, where I had to scrape, heat, sand all the old decal and paint off to get to a workable surface. Following how HEP does his fantastic builds, I chose to paint the insides of the cabinet, but left the bottom natural color. But I did spray the bottom with Clear to protect it. The bottom of the cabinet is White. Note that I added corner cabinet protectors on the inside and outside. I am waiting for some 1N4004 Diodes that are to be attached to the launch button 4 wire harness, before wiring up the cabinet.

DSCF2831 (resized).JPGDSCF2831 (resized).JPGDSCF2834 (resized).JPGDSCF2834 (resized).JPGDSCF2836 (resized).JPGDSCF2836 (resized).JPG
#5500 1 year ago

Looking for a specific Dr. Who plastic part. Pinball Center in Germany has them, but will not ship to USA anymore. I ordered one through Zitt, but the whole shipment got lost a month ago. I will take one in any condition. Thanks for looking in your stash of parts.

Dr. Who Plastic (resized).jpgDr. Who Plastic (resized).jpg
#5502 1 year ago

I just finished building new 5 OPTO LED boards from Victor (aka @dumbass). I also built his OPTO LED testers. Building the wiring and connectors next. This should make trouble shooting all the OPTOs in the game in the future. Plus it was a fun project!

DSCF2851 (resized).JPGDSCF2851 (resized).JPGDSCF2847 (resized).JPGDSCF2847 (resized).JPGDSCF2855 (resized).JPGDSCF2855 (resized).JPG
#5505 1 year ago
Quoted from Dennis_B:

Hello club,
I got a question. When playing a proper game with a highscore and a loop record, my game only allows me to enter the highscore. Is this normal or do i have an outdated code. The thing is me and my friends are so into looping that we really don't care about highscores anymore

What I have experienced with the L2 (latest rom available), that if you get a higher score than is already recorded in the books 5 slots, you will be given an opportunity to add your initials. If you also exceed the loop record or the number of Davros multiballs, a second book will follow and allow you to enter the one slot and it replaces the previous entry.

That is how it has worked for me.

#5508 1 year ago
Quoted from Weazel:

My machine is on L1 code.
Are there any advantages to having L2 code for CPU and Audio?

Dr. Who Pinball Software Revision Information
U6: Version L-2
Checksum: 4002
Date: November 10, 1992

Changes from revision L-1:
Minor preset adjustment changes for France and Germany.
Autocycle burn-in now fires popper 20 times to prevent early
fatigue, and the mini-playfield will cycle only if coin door
is closed and the playfield glass switch is closed.

#5514 1 year ago
Quoted from Bacondaddy:

I'm making progress refurbishing my Dr Who (just removed the trashed mylar, a lot of cleaning, adding LED's etc). In the process I pulled the Time Expander for the first time today, and found some odd wiring. The 6 pin connector has this black wire that goes no where (I think it has light brown banding). It appears to connect to the pin just right of the missing pin in the molex connector in the first picture. Anyone know what this is supposed to connect to?
There's also this patch job in the second picture where at some point the yellow/green striped wires where soldered together. They are all the same color, but is there any problem with this?

First congrats on tackling a wiring job on Dr. Who. I am on my second one right now and understand some of your issues. While tackling my first rebuild last year, I did not find a good wiring diagram in the manual for the MPF. So, I documented one for myself. I labeled each connector with a letter and wrote down the colors and amount of wires coming in and out of each connector. I took pictures for you also. Lets tackle the easy one first.

4 Pin Connector (there are two of them).

The first one is a connector to the top plastic cover of the MPF that goes to the lights (red dome and light in front of it).
Blub socket with #94 bulb has 2 wires - Yellow/Green stripe and Red/Gray band.
Bulb socket with #906 bulb has 2 wires - Black/Brown and Red/White strip.
This 4 pin connector attaches to a female connector that has the same wires, but has a two Yellow/Green stripes coming into it, as it daisy chains to the Lock lamps on the MPF wood.

The second 4 pin connector runs from the above wires and connects to the PF harness has the following wires:
Red/Violet band, Red/Gray, Red/Violet stripe and Yellow/Green Stripe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the hard one. That 6 pin connector with a black/brown wire in your picture. This is the connector to your coils and has 5 wires going to it.
1. Violet/Yellow stripe to right coil
2. Red/White stripe
3. Violet/silver stripe to both coils
4. Violet/Green stripe to left coil
5. Black/Brown stripe

There should be a matching connector on your PF.

Hope this and the pictures help.

Chris
DSCF2867 (resized).JPGDSCF2867 (resized).JPGDSCF2869 (resized).JPGDSCF2869 (resized).JPGDSCF2870 (resized).JPGDSCF2870 (resized).JPGDSCF2871 (resized).JPGDSCF2871 (resized).JPGDSCF2860 (resized).JPGDSCF2860 (resized).JPG

#5515 1 year ago

Bacondaddy in addition that Black wire with brown stripe traces back to connector 125-1 on the power board in the back box.

#5518 1 year ago
Quoted from Bacondaddy:

Thanks very much for the pics Tophervette . That black/violet one must be my mystery wire -- any idea what it connects to on the MPF? It must be supposed to power something if it traces back to the power board in the back box.

I mis-typed and corrected original post, it is a Black with Brown stripe (probably ground) that starts at 125-1 on the Power Board and goes in the grey harness directly to that 6 pin connector. From the connector under the MPF it connects to that 4 pin connector going to the lights in the top plastic of the MPF. From the 4 pin connector it goes to the flasher socket under the red dome. you can see the same wire in my first picture.

#5521 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Shhhhh....be very very quiet.

Don't Blink!

#5523 1 year ago

I love being schooled, esp. by you! LOL.

I put on my triple magnifying headband and looked at the 6 socket connector on the playfield that comes from the main wiring harness, as shown in my blurry, out of focus picture that you numbered. Unfortunately, the old connectors do not have numbers stamped anywhere on them. I looked at several original ones. I agree, the new connectors I have bought do have numbers.

As always, you know stuff, that some of us are just learning.

#5526 1 year ago

Where are my damn glasses now. I can't even read this post and I know its about me.

#5528 1 year ago

I see some strange looking boards and a couple unfamiliar cables. So it is not a color DMD or a Pinsound+, or a shaker? So what could it be? GI LED boards?

#5532 1 year ago

Wait - What??? Scorebit costs $300 plus $40.70 a year subscription for collectors in your home use game? Mind Blown!

How much does it cost?
Scorbit is a SaaS/tiered model with two account types: Operators and Collectors, both of whom pay less per unit with an increased volume of units (volume discounts). Operators pay per machine/per month, and Collectors pay per household/per month. Subscriptions are also tiered based on volume. For current pricing, click here.

#5541 1 year ago

I also upgraded to stereo wires and Flipper Fidelty speakers with Pinsound+. I have no trouble hearing or understanding the callouts. I had trouble with the USB Dongle I tried using at first. I also made the mistake of UNZIPPing the files first. The Pinball machine has to do that unzipping. Some of the sound tracks like Metal/Disco/Rush/Hendrix have whole songs instead of just repeating samples. They take way longer to load initially.

I am also a fan favorite of 13 Doctors, as I can visualize the character saying those things from the show. Thanks for the effort that went into that.

#5551 1 year ago

i thought someone was going to 3D print the Dalek topper, or at least the top dome and eye stalk. I have a bottom half that I would like to make whole. The other option is to make it into a Emperor Dalek, like in the Video. So maybe a round ball, with a blue triangle for an eye. Painted white and gold? If I got real creative, I could have a servo pop open the top half of the ball to reveal a Davros figure. Just random thoughts on a rainy Sunday nite.

3 weeks later
#5558 1 year ago

Bacondaddy impressive job bringing the old girl back to life with fixes and upgrades. I see you have several scars that most of had on our machines. The right side inner wall that gets gouged when you raise and lower Playfield. Trim the piece that sticks out causing that. Second look at the metal dowels that the PF rotates on and see if they are not loose or damaged. Easy replacement from Marcos. On the inside of the MPF surround, the wobbling of the MPF going up and down causes those. You can get new decals for those, but it will not fix the issue or getting scratched again. You could try bending it out slightly where the scratches are. The ultimate fix is getting the ULF smooth lifter kit. Long wait time unfortunately when you get on the list. The cabinet issue has several options. If the wood is sound and never got wet or dropped and is not delaminating, you can get a set of decals to replace ($250). Be prepared to spend a lot messy time prepping the cabinet (decal melting, scraping, sanding, sanding, priming, sanding, painting, re-decaling). The other option is to buy a new cabinet (very expensive option, I might point out (4x cost $1000). I have done both now. Labor wise, I appreciated the new cabinet approach.

#5560 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thoughts on the mirrored backglass? Do you get much reflection on the playfield glass? Anyone else have the mirrored backglass and thoughts in value? Thanks for the help!

I do not have a mirrored backglass, but they look great! I bought a Voodoo anti-reflection PF glass at Allentown and it is fantastic. No reflection from lights in BG. Sometimes, I walk by and wonder if I left the glass off. It is that clear.

#5584 1 year ago

Vibration in the game causes intermittant contact pehaps.

I have had that in my MPF. I still have a lock light that comes on and off, when MPF goes up and down. I am thinking I have a bad intermittent lamp socket.

#5594 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Or ...
[quoted image]
It's not original in circuit design but has reduced power dissipation (those big blue 2W resistors are gone), LED indicators and is much more easily serviced as there are discrete transistors versus a comparator.

That could be my next computer board project!

#5603 1 year ago

Doctor6 - Thanks for taking the time to document the symptoms and fix. I guess you do not see anything on the board that went bad.

#5607 1 year ago

Next you might replace the 10 opto board.
If its the original, its also 30 years old.

I just ordered one from Victor ( DumbAss ) at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs. I am going to build it myself. My previous small boards that I built from Victor turned out great! practice makes perfect.

#5608 1 year ago

After months of playing perfectly, I get a MPF Mushroom Credit dot #74. I keep playing of course. Then 3 times, while playing this past week, I am on 3rd multiball with a high score. I hit the center target to be able to lock the balls for a 4th multiball, when as soon as I hit it....SLAM TILT....machine quits game. So Angry! Grrr.

I start game again and notice that the red squares in front of the MPF during the game, 3 in a row light up on second row. More Grrrr. After game is over, I tear into it. I put tape over top of the bottom Tilt switch and the coin door Tilt switch. The with the glass off, I force the game to go into 6 multiball sessions, I test all the switches by banging on them. I light up all 6 Doctors. I hit that center switch on MPF a bunch of times. I test the mushrooms and they all work.

No idea what's wrong. But can not duplicate it with glass off. Arrgggh.

#5611 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Just curious: is the center target on the same row or column as the slam tilt? This is the very first thing that I'd check.

I looked at that switch matrix in the manual. It is not on either row or column. When I manually tested all the switches for 10 minutes and ran the score up I did not get any problem. Last night on my second game, I was again into several multiballs and had hit the center target several times, then I hit it again to lock the balls, it went straight to TILT.

I am thinking it may be a voltage problem. I will check outlet, maybe the A/C being on is drawing 110v power. The problem does not happen if I have a lousy game with a bunch of ball drains.

I will have to look what 10 Opto board I have in it. I thought I had replaced it, or maybe bought a spare for the other Who under construction.

1 week later
#5627 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Have you tried my orchestrations (Rush, Jimi Hendrix)? Just wondering how you find the levels. It really depends on the levels the creator of the orchestration used when creating the sound files. You could adjust each track but that would take some time. The Pinsound board has a five dial equalizer. You could play around with that to see if that helps. Or try this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/22#post-6961507

I play Rush and Hendrix on a regular rotation. Thanks! I hear the call outs just fine, but then again, I upgraded to all 3 Flipper fidelty speakers.

#5628 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Anyone know where I can get new ramp flaps? My “O” shot has this hump in the middle of the ramp flap which is making balls reject.I can’t seem to find just the ramp flaps anywhere, only the full ramp set which I do not need.
I’ve tried to bend it flat, but eventually it humps
back up again… maybe a little heat with bending will do the trick?
[quoted image]

I bought Marcos large flap and have not cut it to size yet for the large top ramp. They do however sell the smaller ramp flap, that I installed by drilling the old rivets out and installing new rivets with a vise and a rivet punch. Definitely a two man operation to hold the ramp, the flap, the rivet and punch tool in place and close the vice.

#5631 1 year ago

Speaking of the 10 Opto Board, I have a few comments to share along with pictures. I had previously bought a PinballReplacements.com board as a spare, when I was having Opto issues with the MPF. I went to replace it in my working game, even when I had solved the Opto issue without it. It is a green board that has wide edges for advertising. So it would not screw back into the original holes in the middle of the underside of the PF. I had planned to trim it, but never got around to it yet.

As I am discovering making my own boards from DumbAss here on Pinside, I was happy to see that it was the same size as the original and has upgrades. I was advised to raise the Resistors and Caps up slightly off the board, for heat dissipation. It also has LEDs for diagnostic purposes for each of the OPTO transmitters and receivers, as well as a +5 and +12 volt LEDs. It is the red board.

While building cables and molex connectors for connections to the new 10 OPTO board, I discovered a discrepancy in the Manual that I was following for the wires. There are 3 Five pin connectors for OPTO switches J6-31, J5-32 and J4-33. The picture of the board at the top of page 3-12 is correct! However, the verbage below for J4 and J6 are incorrect. Connector J4 pin 4 should be the Key (no wire) position. Connector J6 pin 2 should be the Key (no wire) position. The wires all follow the sequence of Gray, Black, White and Green.

Thought some of you with manuals would want to annotate the correctness. Instead of wiring up connectors and then finding they were wrong later.

DSCF3080 (resized).JPGDSCF3080 (resized).JPGDSCF3082 (resized).JPGDSCF3082 (resized).JPG
#5636 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It really really has nothing to do with the speakers. The modern mix's speech is just turned down to almost nothing.
I understand you can add some sort of "gain" file, but it is as mysterious as spotting big foot. I'll have to, one day, just modify the volume levels of all the music. Sadly. Until then I spent a ton of money on a board only to have the same sounds I had before.

I have to respectfully disagree. The modern mix speech is quite clear to me. One Doctor is shouting "Why don't you just DIE!" Sara Jane Smith passionately says "Doctor, its You! Yes, I have regenerated quite a few times". "I am trying to be quite clever here". Maybe I have my volume turned up.

#5642 1 year ago

Attached is the Pinsound+ board connected up as requested.

DSCF2770 (resized).JPGDSCF2770 (resized).JPG
#5643 1 year ago

Doctor6 - Your video sounds just like my game. Glad you fixed your game to hear what most of the rest of us have been hearing. Now wash your mouth with soap.

#5658 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I’m doing mine the same way. I filled some nicks and sanded the cab. Gonna paint black and apply new decals. I believe I bought the same set you did. I replaced any cracked plastics and the yellowed plastic airball guards with clear. Steve at Pinball Refinery is doing the powder on mine. It’s a bold 2-step color with clear, but should turn awesome! New coin door, and maybe some lit flipper buttons. Should be nice!

Interested to see the powder coat legs and coindoor. I have the lit flipper buttons (blue pf course). I painted my coindoor blue as well.

CoinDoor98 (resized).JPGCoinDoor98 (resized).JPG
#5661 1 year ago

Hearing the motor spin 3/4 of way through vid and not seeing the MPF move, seems to me to be a stripped gear box or the allen keys that hold the cam onto the motor are loose. Either way, it means pulling the MPF out. I am thinking that the big gear is missing teeth, and when the motor gear finally gets to good teeth, the MPF goes up or down. The only way to see that is to drill out the 4 corner rivets to open the gear box. I have seen it done on various posts here going back a few years. Mine jammed up with a ball getting stuck when the MPF was coming down. I will look for a blown gear box picture for reference. The good news, is that Marcos still sells Motor/gear box assemblies.

Motor Gear Box3 (resized).JPGMotor Gear Box3 (resized).JPG
#5668 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Yup, picked up one of these from Marco:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7970
Anything else recommended to replace while I have the MPF out?

Not knowing the originality of your MPF and related working parts, there are a few recommendations that a several here have shared with me over time.

There is a shapeways Opto holder that isolated the Optos lights and fixes the original warped leaky light one.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded?optionId=127913620&li=marketplace

There is the long waitlist (6+ months) for the improved Ulf smooth Lifter system. There is a post for it here on pinside and in the older threads here. Pictures included.

DSCF2646 (resized).JPGDSCF2646 (resized).JPGDSCF2652 (resized).JPGDSCF2652 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier2 (resized).jpgOpto Carrier2 (resized).jpg
#5676 1 year ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

Here’s a video I threw together as an overview of some of the resto/mods I did for the game. There’s tons of LED flicker in the video of the playfield lights but it’s not near as bad in person. I wanted to add a LEDOCD board to the playfield lights but they’ve been out of stock for a long time, and it’s not really all that bad in person. Anyway, just wanted to share…

Great looking Resto-mod! Was really interested in how you changed the back box lighting, as I have the same translight. Thanks for sharing.

#5682 1 year ago

This is where I have gotten both sets of decals directly:

https://classic-arcades.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fdiner-cabinet-decals-next-gen&page=7&sortOption=ascend_by_name

Made using proprietary NEXT GEN printing process that produces a Raised textured print similar to Screen Printing. UV Cured inks
for great durability. Vinyl brand proprietary and spec'd direct from Williams.

He also sells them on Fleabay. $250. They went on well and I am pleased with them. The only gripe and because it is a direct copy. The front corners, the sunburst stripes do not all line up. I can get one of the 3 to line up but not all. Also the head decal is smaller than the side. So you have to have a nice painted 1 inch border all the way around and center the decal. I measured and put blue tape on edges to line it up top, bottom and sides.

BackBox3 (resized).JPGBackBox3 (resized).JPGDSCF2831 (resized).JPGDSCF2831 (resized).JPG
#5687 1 year ago

A shoutout to Ron Kruzman, who is showing pictures of my Dr. Who NOS PF being perfected before the PF swap begins.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread/page/44#post-7014936.

275fc119f9da252e62fed954c55691c8add0798c (resized).jpg275fc119f9da252e62fed954c55691c8add0798c (resized).jpg
#5696 1 year ago

Interesting episode today that I feel like sharing. I have started converting over the connections to Coils to Molex Connectors on my primary Dr Who pinball that I play every day. I had already done that on the second machine that I am preparing for a playfield swap. In my hurry after soldering on the leads to the Molex connectors and then connecting them, I forgot to connect the Vertical Up Kick coil. I lowered the playfield to see if the game was still working after my morning of hard work. The machine fired up and sound check went fine. I started a game. The ball ejected into the shooter lane. But when I hit launch button. Nothing happened. I had not changed over the shooter coil yet to a Molex connection, so was puzzled what I had done wrong.

Well, apparently the shooter coil gets its power from a daisy chain connection with the VUK. Once I raised the PF, I saw that I had not made the VUK connection. Once it was made, that game played beautiful. While the glass was off, I chose to clean the PF and the balls. They get so black dust dirty very quickly. I should put a layer of wax on it while I have the VOODOO glass off.

DSCF3087 (resized).JPGDSCF3087 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#5704 1 year ago

I just really hate the way they look when the game is powered off.
Also the condoms add a nice hue to the harsh led's.
All my naked led's have condoms if they are in plain site.
Once you start using protection you wont go back to bare backing it...
Cliffy condoms are very nice, but it depends on the color.
I bought some from each source in assorted colors.
Mostly i like the cliffy ones and the post sleeves.

I love the Cliffy post sleeves too. He said he was not ordering more once he runs out.

#5707 1 year ago
Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

Hey there, so has anyone else had this problem where the ball popper under the TARDIS breaks away from the sleeve? It’s a cheap plastic part for sure.
I would just go ahead and buy this part, but it’s not for my game. The manual and Marco have different part numbers, so I wanted a second opinion. Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

mrSATURN2012 - Yes, I replaced it with that part from Marcos in my machine. It is a common part across multiple pinball lines. You just need 2 small wrenches and a phillips to change it out. I just changed one out on a Tales From the Crypt machine, also. You need to reuse the washer, Spring and nut on the end. You will see a flat spot on the shaft to put one of the small wrenches on.

#5711 1 year ago

Well it happened again! TILT. I have all 3 of the Tilt sensors taped off or disconnected. I am usually into the 3rd raising of the MPF and scoring great. Then I hit the center round target leaf switch on the MPF. Instead of lighting up one of the red squares in front of the MPF like usual. The DMD displays TILT and the game ends. I have looked at the switch matrix and it is not connected in anyway. I checked the voltage coming into the game and it is not a low voltage issue. Next time I pull that MPF out, I will go over it with a fine tooth comb. Even if the leaf switch is somehow shorting out occasionally when it is hit, why would the machine go TILT?

Need to look into the TILT wiring and where it connects on the boards?

#5714 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Let's see, There is the plumb bob(SW 14), The Slam switch on the coin door(SW 21) and the last is the PF glass switch? (SW82) Is that right Topher?
Those are J206(Column) and J209(Row)
Usually Victor chimes in here.

eyeamred2u You are correct in that there is the plumb bob (sw 14), The Slam switch on coin door (sw 21) and the leaf switch under the plumb bob. I have isolated all of those with black electricians' tape and removed the bob.

It only happens when I hit that center leaf switch in the middle of a game. I hit it several times prior when the time expander times out. I hit it several more times before both balls are locked and it lights up 1 of the 15 red squares each time. I will have a close inspection of that leaf switch and trace the color wires back to the board connectors.

1 week later
#5717 1 year ago

It takes a village and a journey to enjoy this life. By a village, I mean, seriously gifted people dedicated to a hobby to improve it. Many on this post have helped me time and again with issues, photos and even instruction. Thank you all for sharing your time and talent.

My second Ulf smooth lifter kit has arrived finally from France in perfect packaging. I look forward to creating another MPF with this smooth lifter system. It works perfectly in my Doctor Who #1. So, while building a second pinball, I had to have another.

Meanwhile, I have been patiently waiting for my NOS original PF to be made perfect by Ron Kruzman ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread/page/46#post-7061440). Over the past 30 years, the inserts moved. Some up and some down. After fixing that, Ron painted the black pinstripe lines around them. Then many clear coats and sandings later, it is almost ready (picture attached). One last sand and clear application. A drying period then shipping. A PF rotisserie is waiting to do the PF swap. Excited thinking about playing on this glass like PF when it is all done and populated. Of course I expect problems with the swap. But that is half the fun of learning about pinball. Enjoy.

11e5cbf27e15e88adec403b8d6f1b3a2461edcc4 (resized).jpg11e5cbf27e15e88adec403b8d6f1b3a2461edcc4 (resized).jpg
#5719 1 year ago

My ulfgustafsson Smooth Lifter kit has arrived for Dr. Who 2 build. The drilling into that steel is the trickiest part. But following the instructions, with templates, a punch, and a new 1/4 drill bit, it went really smooth sailing. Just waiting for the new MPF to be shipped for the install. Meanwhile, I will rebuild the MPF wiring harness with new wires and connectors.

297061217_5748478798509688_3935211563740143071_n (resized).jpg297061217_5748478798509688_3935211563740143071_n (resized).jpg297371722_5748478995176335_7876234650012821474_n (resized).jpg297371722_5748478995176335_7876234650012821474_n (resized).jpga5d8e369f0fb666cb8b026278a3c76128d2de4c3 (resized).jpga5d8e369f0fb666cb8b026278a3c76128d2de4c3 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5729 1 year ago

The 6 knobs will not adjust the orchestrations individually, nor will they adjust individual sound files.
The Doctor who mixes can be a little rough as far as normalization and a few sounds maybe a little tweaking.
My 13 doctors mix is pretty well balanced and there are no glaring problems right now. But I do intend to add more Peter Capaldi to the mix and remove some files that Im tired of.
In general there is nothing that 5 mins in the pinsound studio cant fix since you can adjust complete sections with the turn of a dial.
You can even globally raise everything on a mix to make it the same volume as another mix. Ive done that so as to not have to use the coin door volume to adjust after changing a mix.
When I make a few adjustments, I usually just save it on the USB stick and then put it back in the game.
The pinsound studio software is super easy to use and you can save changes directly to the USB stick for just a quick fix.

Your 13 doctor mix is one of my favorites. Would be interested if you up date it. Still loving the intro on startup you sent me!

#5730 1 year ago

And just like that...I was reading about an out of sequence MPF and how Faz diagnosed it t needing shims under the Opto of the motor cam. My machine must have sensed this and felt sympathy pains.

In the middle of a game, in the middle of a multi ball, with the MPF fully raised...it stopped going down. Then I learned that the game still played. Amazing. If you shot 2 balls into the MPF bottom arches, it would be like locking 2 balls in the Opto poppers. Then if you sink another 15 balls, it would go into multi ball again, like you had the mushrooms 15 times. But the MPF was not raising and lowering. Someone had programmed this work around, knowing this may happen on route.

Going into test phase. It tells me it has no CW or CCW and No Dalek head movement.

Hoping the motor connection wires have fallen off. Time to raise the PF once more. Never a dull moment.

#5732 1 year ago

All fuses and voltages on Power board check fine. Will trace +20 volt line from J107-6 to J1-5 red-white wire on the Bi-directional motor board.

2 weeks later
#5740 1 year ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Wanted Time Expander working or not.

Sent you a PM.

#5745 1 year ago

As an FYI, I have been having fun changing over the IDC plugs to Molex connectors on my Doctor Who back box. It started with not getting 20 volts to the motor board and Dalek Head from the power board. When either was connected, it would drag the voltage down to 8 volts. No fuses blown, no melted traces on the power board. I replaced the Pellew motor board but did not make a difference. So, I yanked the Power board out to replace it with a spare board. But while it was out, and all the IDC plugs were hanging. What better time to upgrade. I had several repaired and spliced plugs on the GI side of things, that needed replacing anyway. Hoping the replacement board solves the 20 volt problem.

Also in the meantime, while the pin was down, I yanked the MPF out. I had an annoying left lock light intermittent. Turns out, that the bulb was not making good contact due to its position rubbing against something else. Then there was also the Switch 74 error, on one of the mushroom Optos. I swapped out the 5 Opto boards with new ones. Several of the LEDs on the green board were too long and would snag the mushroom when hit. So, I put a thin spacer between that board and the Holder.

Now to put it all back together and pray it works as good as it did last month.

#5749 1 year ago

Hey gang, my time expander is acting funky. After locking balls the MPF raises and lowers a few times before settling back into level 1 instead of level 2 (and sometimes not all the way down). Will also sometime move itself up and down at game start. I’m guessing something funky with the opto on the gearbox lifter mechanism, but thought I’d see if this sounds familiar to anyone before I start taking everything apart. I’ve got the smoother lifter and accompanying board.
Addendum: just started it up and it seemed like it couldn’t figure out what level to settle on, and came to rest on level 2. I cycled the power and it settled back to level 1.
Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Chris - Mine with the Pellew motor board started doing that as well, before my game altogether crashed and gave me the dreaded CW & CCW error. Not that I am blaming that board, but it is finicky with those 3 variable Pots. It has saved my motor twice when it detected a ball was getting jammed and reversed direction, letting the ball go.

My advice would be to start with putting original Motor board in and see if your machine behaves correctly or still has issues. Second, I would put some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and clean the Optos of the Cam. Yes Optos burn out. I have bought a new set from marcos and put a new wire harness and plug on them as a spare.

Please advise what you find out. I am still rebuilding to find out my issues.

#5760 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Hi everyone. Just picked up a Doctor Who. The right flipper is weak. Ball barely makes it to top of PF.
I'm going to change the coil tomorrow. Is there anything else that would cause this?

Here is a reference picture of what a new coil, stop, arm and leaf spring looks like. Note colors of wire too. This is the upper left flipper, but all are alike other than the base. I would also recommend, changing out the white plastic sleeve that the flipper rotates on. ebay.com link: itm

273180283_10157463731368039_2000565733167992765_n (resized).jpg273180283_10157463731368039_2000565733167992765_n (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
#5764 1 year ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

While doing the rebuild you may want to consider installing Precision Pinball Products Flipper system.
I just installed a bunch of them and like them. I will be putting them on the Doctor next week.
There is a tread about them. Review – Precision Pinball Products CNC Flipper System

Please post a picture if you can of the install. Sounds interesting with a lot of controversy by the talking heads.

#5765 1 year ago

I wanted to show off the in-progress picture of adding new Molex plugs to the boards (mostly power board) and the finished project. If anyone needs original IDC plugs, I will gladly send them your way for postage. It is a time-consuming process, but I think the electrical connection is a lot stronger with Molex connectors.

DSCF3118 (resized).JPGDSCF3118 (resized).JPGDSCF3121 (resized).JPGDSCF3121 (resized).JPGDSCF3124 (resized).JPGDSCF3124 (resized).JPG
#5767 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Had to replace the opto board for the flipper. Works fine now.
Where does the wire for the speakers plug into? It came off and I can't remember where it was plugged in??

Assuming you are asking about where the speakers plug into the sound board. Here is a picture of an original sound board plugs. Now if you have added a Pinsound board with stereo cables, that is different and will have a dangling loose original plug.
Sound1 (resized).jpgSound1 (resized).jpg

#5768 1 year ago

Duplicate Post REMOVE please

#5769 1 year ago

I got my game working again and really killed the score!

I was getting a low voltage of 8 volts from my 20 volt source (TP7) when the 10 Opto board or the moving Dalek head was connected. Swapped power boards and the game works again. I had built a set of 5 Mushroom board Optos but must have screwed something up as they did not work. The funny thing is they did not give me any error codes (71 to 75). They would just not register a hit when the mushrooms were depressed. Swapped them out for an old know working set.

Progress is being made on my second Dr Who that I am building. I think I finally have all the parts needed. The NOS PF and MPF is being cleared by Ron Kruzman and is currently curing/drying before shipment. My Pindoc rotisserie is painted, assembled and waiting to do my first PF swap.

DSCF3138 (resized).JPGDSCF3138 (resized).JPG

#5775 1 year ago
Quoted from madamyates:

Ran into an interesting issue yesterday. Turned the machine on and it says the slam tilt switch is stuck — which it isn’t. Also, the right coil on the mini playfield fires repeatedly. Is it possible the two issues are related?

Agree with Pinballreno, that it is an issue with the opto.

Slam Tilt is a different issue I believe. There is one Tilt bob, a second one below it on the cabinet floor and a third on the coin door. Over time the second and third ones loose the spring steel tension and start touching. Isolate them with electricians tape temporarily to take them out of the loop. If that does not clear it up move up stream to connectors on board. Also make sure wire is not pinched near where coin door hinges.

#5776 1 year ago

Please check out the awesome job Ron Kruzman has done on clearing my NOS PF. I am over the moon about owning this piece of art.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread/page/49#post-7177891

18fce942c41e2a7282931f3a055e3d6a48ee0c48 (resized).jpg18fce942c41e2a7282931f3a055e3d6a48ee0c48 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5782 1 year ago
Quoted from Jimball:

Hi I would like to be in the club! I am in the UK and recently became the owner of a Doctor Who which needed a little work. I had a load of components replaced on the processor board and completely replaced the power board with a brand new one. Everything is pretty much working as it should.
One thing I'm really interested in is the Pinsound mod and I'm interested in the views of others.
The voices are low quality, as we know. If we obtained re-recorded shout-outs, could this be integrated into Pinsound to give good quality voices?
If so, I have an idea of how to get the re-recordings. Let me know what you think.

Welcome to the club! Many of us here have the Pinsound Mod and some have even made custom files with different music and callouts too. You can listen to some of them on the Pinsound website, as well as several have them on Youtube. With Pinsound, you really need to upgrade your speakers too and get the stereo wires. The original soundtrack and callouts sound a little better, but like you said they were low quality to begin with.

Some have taken sound bites from the newer Shows and replaced the callouts with clear English (and Dalek). I have no idea how you would get re-recordings as Bally/Williams is out of the business of pinball. The 13 Doctors is a good example of what you are looking for.

I cycle the different soundtracks. Sometimes I am in the mood for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, sometimes Rush, sometimes Heavy Metal, sometimes Disco, but always wind up with the 13 Doctors playing.

I was recommended to add the Pinshaker motor. It shakes the pinball machine when you hit certain targets or reach certain levels, particularly in video mode. The other mods that I have added that make the game more enjoyable are the color DMD. That makes jumping targets a whole lot easier in color. The Ulf smooth lifter kit make the whole Mini-Playfield experience, not wobbly/shakey. Cliffy's are a must on all the high wear areas of the PF.

I love the game so much, I am building a second one from spare parts, a new cabinet, new boards, NOS PF, new plastic ramps, etc. I have recieved so much help here in this club with issues. As the game was not popular with pinball mechanics on route. It required a lot of maintenance. But that is one of the things that I enjoy.

1 week later
#5786 1 year ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

How about the most recent episode? If you haven't seen it, don't know what happens....you should watch it ASAP before it's spoiled for you.

I have been watching since first B&W episodes, sitting on my Nan's couch in front of the fireplace in London. However, not a fan of the last few Doctors. Too much PC and diversity. Sorry, Not Sorry.

1 week later
#5789 1 year ago

The buildup of my Doctor Who pinball is getting closer to the finish line. I have installed the wiring harness, lamp boards, coils, and pop bumpers on the NOS PF. Next is installing the top of the PF.

DSCF3249 (resized).JPGDSCF3249 (resized).JPGDSCF3253 (resized).JPGDSCF3253 (resized).JPG
#5792 1 year ago

MiamiRedSkin PinballinReno knows what he is saying!

1. Agree with starting with a Swinks Black Carrier that blocks the side-to-side LED light problem and external Lights confusing the Optos. See Picture.
2. You will notice even in your pictures that the Gulf boards match LED 1 with 5 all reversed from the natural order of things. So that would lead me to thinking that maybe you have your wires confused, as that would cause your problem, even if the Gulf LEDs did not suck. Recheck your wiring stripe colors (Grey to Orange) from the plug to the board across the OPTO and back to the plug.
3. I too tried the Marco's Gulf boards and none of mine registered as working Optos. It is a known problem. Sorry.
4. I am guessing that you did not build a new harness to plug but reused the old wires. So that you cannot plug in the old boards (even though you know one LED is out). Not without undoing your current solder job.
5. Pindora boards: https://www.pindorabox.com/product/dr-who-5-target-opto-board-set-a-15431-32/
6. I have had good success with these boards too: http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/dw_tbs.html
7. I also built my own boards from @Dumbass. As well as got an extra few LEDs to fix old board. See Pictures
8. I also built several wiring harnesses with Plugs for the different brands of boards.

DSCF2845 (resized).JPGDSCF2845 (resized).JPGDSCF2851 (resized).JPGDSCF2851 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier2 (resized).jpgOpto Carrier2 (resized).jpg
#5793 1 year ago

Here are notes on the numbering system from the plug and the matching-colored wires.

Right 1 - 71
Right 2 - 72
Middle - 73
Left 2 - 74
Left 1- 75
J1-3 Gray-Green, to opto transmitter Sw #71
J1-4 Gray-Yellow, to opto transmitter Sw #72
J1-5 Gray-Orange, to opto transmitter Sw #73
J1-6 Gray-Red, to opto transmitter Sw #74
J1-7 Gray-Brown, to opto transmitter Sw #75
J1-2 Gray-Blue, to opto transmitter Sw #76
J1-1 Gray-Violet, to opto transmitter Sw #77
J1-8 Key
J1-9 Black, Ground
J2-3 Orange-Green, to opto receiver Sw #71
J2-4 Orange-Yellow, to opto receiver Sw #72
J2-5 Orange-Black, to opto receiver Sw #73
J2-7 Orange-Red, to opto receiver Sw #74
J2-8 Orange-Brown, to opto receiver Sw #75
J2-2 Orange-Blue, to opto receiver Sw #76
J2-1 Orange-Violet, to opto receiver Sw #77
J2-6 Key
J2-9 Gray, +12VDC

#5795 1 year ago

MiamiRedSkin Another thought to consider.

Looking at your green board. LED5 traces to A5 and a Grey/Green wire. That should be your Far-right mushroom Switch#71. The opposite LED1 on the blue board should trace to E1 and an Orange/Green wire. Follow that logic for all wires, except for the middle switch #73 that has Grey/Orange matching to Orange Black.

#5802 1 year ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Oh my. Thank you for all of the fantastic detail, Tophervette & pinballinreno. It seems that even if these garbage boards worked, the they are not just plug and play and other upstream things need to altered? I did think that opto board confugration looked weird (Opto 1 on transmitter corresponding to Opto 5 on receiver), but looking at other pictures and threads, I though this was correct. I also cross-referenced the wiring on other pictures in this thread and it looked identical... ugh, looks like I have more reading to do.

I just ordered a set of Pindora boards as a backup set, now that I have 2 Doctors to upkeep. I have 2 sets of boards with 1 Blown Opto on each, in different places. So I know they do not last forever.

1 week later
#5813 1 year ago
Quoted from robm:

I am rebuilding a barn find Dr Who - min playfield has been completely stripped and cleaned, however a couple of the mushroom buttons stick in. I cleaned the shaft with cleaning solution and also gave a light rub with 1500 emery paper, but they are still getting stuck. Any tips on what to do? The springs are somewhat rusty - no supplier here in Aus stocks them, but wouldn't have thought a rusty spring would cause it to stick or bind.

Congrats on your build. I am 95% finished on building mine.
It is possible that the mushrooms are catching on the LED bulbs. Try taking the boards off and see if they are still catching. If it is the LEDs, like it was on mine, Then a thin shim (real thin) is in order. You need to determine which board is causing the problem and only shim that one. As space is a premium when you go to reinstall the mushroom holder.

Many here will suggest you get a Swinks Shapeways mushroom holder to isolate the LED bulbs too. You can order new springs from Marcos too. Better get the c-clips too as they fly off and break.

#5814 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Yum. Both of those images show alkaline corrosion on the CPU board (in the background).

Ahh, I see that greenish blue fur on the battery holders. And then the greying pins underneath.

#5815 1 year ago

robm
Here is the rusty spring you are talking about: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-298

Here is the E-Clip 1/4 inch: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-8712-25

They are currently out of Mushroom buttons part#03-8654 , Ministry of pinball in UK is also out of stock. https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/dr-who-mushroom-target.html

Shapeways has the mushrooms supposedly. https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q6BMQBFSZ/doctor-who-pinball-mushroom-target-button-1-off

Here is the Mushroom Target Channel Upgraded: https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded?optionId=127913620&li=marketplace and it works great!

1 week later
#5821 1 year ago

mystman12 - Congrats on getting to install the smooth lifter kit! You can use either one (swinks or Lifter one). Both may need a little smoothing where mushrooms slide in and out. Before you install either one into the MPF, make sure you play test the buttons/springs with the boards attached. You may have to shim one or both boards, so that the mushrooms do not hang up on the LEDs. But also know that you only have so much clearance to install mushroom carrier. If you shim it too much, it will not fit. Fine balance.

True story. I bought new mushrooms, springs, boards, screws and C-clips. I found that the C-clips are too wide and interfere with the LEDs and I cannot shim it enough to use them. Marcos 1/4" shims are too big. So beware of that pitfall.

Next when installing the wires of the 10 LED Opto, you must run it under the mount of the ball joint. Make sure you do not pinch those wires when it gets tightened down.

DSCF2640 (resized).JPGDSCF2640 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#5822 1 year ago

To follow on with my issues in building a Doctor Who pinball machine, I had ordered a new carrier and baffles from @swinks. I ordered new 5 Opto Board, new grey mushroom buttons, springs and 1/4" C-clips from Marcos. I built new boards from DumbAss and bought them from Pindora Box as well.

First I found that the C-clips were interfering with one side of the Swinks dividers. So I dremel tooled them so that they would not bind. When I installed any of the Opto boards onto the carrier, the Clips would then hit or not pass the LEDs or would get stuck closed. I checked Marcos site again and I had ordered the right part supposedly. I did a further search on the internet and found that there were smaller OD C-clips out there. I ordered them from McMaster-Carr in NJ. The smallest order was 25. So if anyone needs one cause it flew off and can't find it. I will slip one in the mail to you. The first picture shows the problem of the larger C-clips. The following picture shows the size difference installed.

Hope this helps anyone doing a similar fix to the mushroom carrier.

DSCF3357 (resized).JPGDSCF3357 (resized).JPGDSCF3363 (resized).JPGDSCF3363 (resized).JPGDSCF3365 (resized).JPGDSCF3365 (resized).JPG
#5828 1 year ago

mystman12 - I am assuming that you still have the original motor board as that will make it easier to diagnose. If you have the upgraded board, then it is detecting a bind and reversing. Did you get the upgrade cam wheel from Ulf? The cam wheel and Opto determine when the motor stops and starts. Several here have found that the opto needs to be shimmed a little higher sometimes to recognize the holes in the cam.

Back to your original statement, that it was doing this in original configuration. You could have missing teeth on the big gear in the gearbox from a previous jam up or wear. Other than curiosity, opening the gearbox is a waste of time. Sooner or later everyone needs a new motor/gearbox. Once you pull the motor out, you can test it with a 9 volt battery to see if gearbox stops while the motor is still turning (an indication of missing gear teeth).

#5837 1 year ago

I am on my second rebuild of Dr Who pinball machines and have never seen that part. My guess would be for the underside of the Dalek Topper that is motorized? But having a decal on it really confuses me. No wait it would need a hole in the middle for the motor to stick down into the back box. Transformer? Curious now...

#5838 1 year ago

TheShadowsNose I have that loose plug on both of my wiring harnesses. The plug could also power a printer for an operator to record number of plays and items found in the menu.

I replaced my launch button a while ago and put a new on in my current build. Check that you have the Diodes going in the right direction. And that the right wires are going to the right tabs. Two go to the light and two go to launching the ball switch.

a current picture of back of that switch.

Cabinet9 (resized).jpgCabinet9 (resized).jpg
#5843 1 year ago
Quoted from aeneas:

You're close. It's to fill the backbox hole when the dalek topper is not installed. [quoted image]

A bit of overkill, when a cork or a bung would have sufficed. I know the dalek toppers were stolen, removed for low ceilings, etc. I guess an operator could have requested a Dalek delete option, and got this plate to cover the holes, to keep dust out. Part # 16-9445-SP I will have to look up in my parts listing.
Thanks for sharing.

Now if I could only locate a metal 3 sided surround that goes around the MPF.

#5844 1 year ago

TheShadowsNose , DumbAss , pinballinreno , and anyone else curious about the extra plug near the coindoor and right flipper board.

Here is a better illuminated version of the plug to nowhere that is in both my machines. I tapped off the plug during painting the inside of the cabinet, but got some overspray on the wires.

x2 Black with yellow stripe wire
x2 Orange wire
x2 Blue with violet bands wire

DSCF3374 (resized).JPGDSCF3374 (resized).JPG
#5848 1 year ago

Thanks for all the knowledge, folks. It is crazy all the things you run into when you are under the hood.
DumbAss any chance that hacked transformer is dangerous, or an idea why the wires would get spliced?

It looks like an import game that probably ran on 220 to the transformer. Instead of repining the plug to 110 volts. They hacked it, cut wires at the plug, then used wire connectors to splice the right wires together. There is a pinwiki showing how to do it right.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#Primary_Voltage_Selection_Jumpers_at_the_Transformer

#5849 1 year ago

Lets see. Which MPF would you use in your new build?

320210272_1685926011809436_3939648488725600130_n (resized).jpg320210272_1685926011809436_3939648488725600130_n (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5856 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Lower left, for sure. With one of the protectors from the top row. What the heck happened to the bottom right?

I used the lower left one and added new Cliffys and mylar.

The bottom right one was how I started in this hobby about 2 years ago. I bought an almost complete MPF set up from a trashed game that had been in a salty flood in Virginia Beach warehouse for too much money. It was my initial learning experience, to see if I liked working on pinball machines. I replaced that badly worn MPF wood with a CPR silver repop. I cleaned up all the metal parts. Replaced the coils, screws, plastic parts. Then I bought an actual Doctor Who machine and restored that, using the rebuilt MPF assembly. Which led to building a second pinball machine from the ground up.

See original and then updated pictures. Then I added the Ulf smooth lifter kit. It is now flawless on both my machines now.

Bottom Coils1 (resized).JPGBottom Coils1 (resized).JPGMPF Before1 (resized).JPGMPF Before1 (resized).JPGMPF After4 (resized).JPGMPF After4 (resized).JPG
#5857 1 year ago

My current issue with my rebuild on Doctor rebuild. Bad DMD display, no GI, and no start. Good thing I have a great working Doctor WHO game sitting next to it, so I can swap, known good cables or boards in and out, till I find a problem.

I have good LED lights on my CPU D19 goes out after a second. D20 Blinks constantly, and D21 is on constant. I have good correct voltages on my Power Board test points. The Sound board even goes "Bong", "Keep hands away from MPF, Warning".

DSCF3455 (resized).JPGDSCF3455 (resized).JPG
#5859 1 year ago

Well, as I persisted and got help from Victor aka dumbass, I looked at the DMD board. I thought I had installed the old original Bally DMD board. But NO. I had installed the new one I bought from Pinball Basement, at the same time I bought the broken, parts falling off PWR Board. As soon as I installed the old Bally DMD board. Words started appearing on the screen. I am angry at him all over again.

3 weeks later
#5872 1 year ago

My second Doctor Who Pinball that I have built up from spare parts collected from many sources in different countries is close to being finished. The one on the left is the new one, with NOS PF from Ron Kruzman. I have several switch errors to fix or adjust. Once the game is fully functional, I will add the Mark Davidson Moving Dalek Topper.

DSCF3449 (resized).JPGDSCF3449 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#5879 1 year ago

That is about the going price for a complete Dalek, light board, and plastic cover in good condition. Shipping from Australia too might be costly?

2 weeks later
#5890 1 year ago

I am close to having my second Doctor Who build perfected. I have been fighting Flipper and switch errors. Things I have learned about switches...

1. Closing a rollover switch with your finger is not the same as a ball rolling over it. The rollover wires are not necessarily bent right out of the box. They require tweaking.

2. All switches require a diode and it has to be installed the right direction. Old diodes can look good but test bad. They need to be removed to test correctly.

3. Even a new switch can be bad. Especially if it has been soldered on a few times or the iron was too hot and melted the insides.

4. The Blade switches rotate on a small dot of plastic that can break off easily. Like the one on the PF glass.

5. That Damn switch matrix lies to you about what the problem is. When everything is working correctly, the display and tests work perfectly. But if one or more diodes are bad or wrong, you get a whole slew of errors. Also, if your ribbon cable is not on correctly, you have a hot mess.

6. If your Exit Pop Bumpers switch is too low and/or not registering, you will never get into video mode.

7. Getting the alignment and height of the trough switches are a lesson in patience.

Thought I would share my experience, in case other people encountered similar issues when installing new switches.

Rant off. Go see my rebuild in the Restoration Blog area. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1992-doctor-who-restoration-build

#5896 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Something I've never figured out in all the years I've owned this game. Sometimes during multiball, all my doctors will get lit up. I never notice it happen. If I remember to watch for it, none ever light up, but sometimes I'll drain out and look up to see all 7 doctors are lit, but they go back to unlit with the next ball. What's lighting them up? Is it something to do with Davros?

1. You begin with 1 Doctor and can select which one with your flipper button at start of game.
2. You launch the ball and it goes over the "Select Doctor" switch. So each new ball gives you a Doctor. 3 Ball games gives you 3 Doctors free.
3. As you go through the Pop Bumpers you can drop into VUK of the Tardis. This will allow you into Video Mode. As you complete each video, you add a Doctor.
4. You can go through 7 video modes (4 at a time) to get a bonus score for lighting up all the Doctors.
5. Alternatively, You can hit the "Transmat Leaf switch" on the right side, between the two Ramps. If you have enough points (via Pop Bumpers), the Transmat button will add another Doctor. A video circle will show filling up, during Pop Bumper hits. The level is an option to change via the coin door buttons.

#5902 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

it's a matter of... timing. It's like the time window for the shot is very tiny. Either im early or late.
There is enough flipper power and the flipper alignment is like you have described.

ABE_FLIPS : I now have 2 Dr Who's side by side. Both have new coils and new ramps. One has a 30 year old PF and the other has a NOS Cleared PF that is like glass. The older version is just like yours, with that side ramp hard to get, even though I put a higher rated (stronger) coil. I have to hit that ball as soon as it gets to the bat. And most times I hit the transmat button instead of the ramp. The new game I just built, with a standard flipper coil, is really easy to do loop after loop and get the multiplier up and extra ball/Sonic Boom. Both Flippers are backed up to wall in the "at rest position". I can't see a difference in them, but there must be.

The kickout from the MPF is also different. The original machine shoots SDTM. The new MPF shoots them to the right flipper and I am happy about that.

1 week later
#5910 1 year ago

I have a bunch of left over parts from my scratch build Doctor Who. Is there a market for them? I have seen the same listings for parts on Ebay for over a year now. I managed to buy part lots from about 4 different scrapped pinball machines. If anyone needs something, let me know and I will search my box-o-parts. No Daleks available.

#5911 1 year ago

I was watching multiple Youtube videos of the 2023 Texas Pinball Festival (including the Twippys). I saw there were at least 2 Doctor Who pinballs in the Freeplay area. One was with faded sides and an orange DMD and the other had new cabinet sides and a color DMD. Anyone here want to claim them or let me know what the prices were on them (If they were also for sale).

No surprise that Stern took many of the Twippy awards for Rush and Topper award for Mando. I got some ideas from some of the vendor interviews. Like the Comet 10 string LED for the area behind the flippers. Pinside won best webpage!

#5913 1 year ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

I had the DW with the color display, new side art, wobble head, etc. There were 3 others on the floor. 2 of them were unrestored for $4500. The 3rd I don't think had a price on it. No idea if any sold.
Had mine at $6k but didn't really want to sell it. Had trade offers.

Thanks for the news on Texas!

#5916 1 year ago

Do you have a Dalek?

I have a bottom half of a Dalek that I thought maybe I would make into a Supreme Dalek with a white ball for a head, a Gold color or brass belt, a Blue triangle single eye and 2 yellow cylinders plastics and maybe some LEDs with Diodes connected to two red wires that are near the top of the Head unit.

#5921 1 year ago
Quoted from Elvira:

I'm restoring a DW. I saw yours at TPF. It looks great! Where did you get your new cabinet art? Did you mod the topper yourself?

bbaker2824 This is where I got 2 sets of cabinet art from:

https://classic-arcades.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fdiner-cabinet-decals-next-gen&page=2

They were the right size. You had to trim off the excess. I found it easier to apply with the cabinet on its side. Then tape it into position. Peel about a foot of backing off. Cut that off and lower the sticky onto cabinet. Then untape the rest of it. Fold the decal over the taped down portion. I used a rubber squeegee (for applying bondo) to smooth out the decal as I pulled the rest of the decal off. There were still some small air bubbles. I used a safety pin to release the air and smoothed it out with my finger. For the front coin door, I did not cut out for the buttons or coin door till after I had it applied. You can almost align the right-side middle stripes with the side stripes. But forget about the left side, they do not match even on an original machine. With an Xacto knife, trim the holes for all the buttons and bolts and coin door. This is also an excellent time to add leg supports. Larger ones on the inside and smaller ones on the outside. The metal outside ones keep the legs from digging into your new decals and sandwiches the wood corners better. Later I come back with a permanent Black magic marker on the white edges. That is how I did it. You will most likely need new metal side rails too.

DSCF2831 (resized).JPGDSCF2831 (resized).JPG
#5922 1 year ago

What do you do if you have the bottom half of a Dalek Topper that the top half of that half is melted and sloping down on the right side? I tried heating it in the oven and putting it in hot water and pushing with a block of wood underneath it. It would just not return to original shape.

Then I got creative with it. I got busy with a zona saw, lots of paints, a glue gun, an Xacto knife, some LEDs, some wiring, 3 plastic inserts, that cheap servo wobble kit and a lot of retired free time.

If you happen to have a ColorDMD in your machine, after every 4 video encounters, there is an interaction between a regular Dalek that is similar to the Topper. After the first 4 video encounters, the Supreme Dalek asks the regular Dalek "Where is the DOCTOR?". The response is "He escaped". Then the White Supreme Dalek shoots/explodes the Silver Dalek and then shoots the pink actual Brain Squid thing that lives in the metal Dalek shell. After the round second round of 4 videos, the Silver Dalek shoots the Supreme Dalek. I think around after round 12 a big cannon comes out and shoots the Silver Dalek.

I was thinking about using a cheap green or red Laser used on gun sights. But decided against that for now. Waiting for paint to dry before posting pictures. Teaser Post.

#5924 1 year ago

Im working on sorting out the audio on the video mode in the 13 doctors orchestration
Its not finished yet.
Also adding MORE Peter Capaldi.
Gotta make progress on my TAF resto 1st.

Your last effort is still working well on my Pinsound+ and Flipper Fidelity speakers! Look forward to newer tunes!

Your TAF goes up 1K each year, so don't hurry, it will be worth more.

#5925 1 year ago

As promised, my photos of the Supreme Dalek. In the Doctor Who TV series, Davros is actually inside it. My next move is to wire it up to the boards inside. The UK version uses the flashing bulb circuit as a trigger versus the actual software that the Mark Davidson version uses. Therefore, I need to make up a splice wire/connectors to the Dalek flashing bulb connector.

DSCF3617 (resized).JPGDSCF3617 (resized).JPGDSCF3610 (resized).JPGDSCF3610 (resized).JPGDSCF3613 (resized).JPGDSCF3613 (resized).JPGDSCF3614 (resized).JPGDSCF3614 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#5928 12 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Every time I play this, it is cemented in me that this will forever be my favorite machine ever. Just had a great time playing it, and I know that no other machine (and I've played a ton) will be better than this, in my mind. Absolutely pinball perfection. Love the shots, the strategy, the sounds, the music, the time expander, the best loop in all of pinball, love the video mode. For me, this absolutely won't ever be topped.

Doctor6 Agree totally!!!

With my second Dr Who build finished, I got an email from a guy in Texas that had bought a container with soggy Dr Who pinball inside. Probably a Katrina machine. He took it apart and sold me the metal parts recently. But not the wiring harness, as he is building an Indiana Jones and is going to repurpose many parts for his build. I just found a very used wiring harness in Germany. Now I need to find another cabinet, Playfield, decals, coils, switches, ramps, stantions, etc. The good news is that I already have the MPF complete, light boards, plastics, Dalek, Tardis and Pin rotisserie.

thumbnail_IMG_0935 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0935 (resized).jpgthumbnail_20221120_184305 (resized).jpgthumbnail_20221120_184305 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0920 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0920 (resized).jpguniversalpowerinterfav4fdb (resized).jpguniversalpowerinterfav4fdb (resized).jpgdoctorwho-kabelbaumplgiejy (resized).jpgdoctorwho-kabelbaumplgiejy (resized).jpg
#5932 12 months ago

I currently have two operational Dr. Who's side by side. The new one I recently built, I put regular size flippers. The one I rebuilt last year has the lightning shorter flippers. You can make all the shots with both types of flippers. However, the Lightning Flippers allow twice as many ball drains. That extra 1/8 inch on each side equal 1/4 inch narrower drain space. I typically get higher scores with the normal flippers.

1 week later
#5937 11 months ago
Quoted from wastedthelight:

Picking up Doctor Who tomorrow! To get any pin in my basement I have to take off the backbox to make it around a corner on the stairs. How difficult is it to remove the back box from this game, as far as the wiring goes? I assume I just need to unscrew a few bolts for the two hinges? Thanks!

Agree with Pinballinreno and add the following. I downloaded the manual from the https://www.ipdb.org/files/738/Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Manual.pdf .

From that printed document I went to the pages that showed pictures of the individual Boards in the Back box. This allowed me to identify and label the connectors as I took them off. I also wrote down all the connector numbers on paper per board and put a check mark next to them as I pulled them off and put them back on. you will quickly find that there are more plugs on the boards than there are connectors. Most all of the connectors will only fit the right plugs. This is also a good time to check the connectors for burn/melted spots and signs of previous repairs. Particularly the GI connectors on the bottom of the power board. There are 4 Grey ribbon connectors that are usually in the way of unplugging. Note how there is a red stripe on each one, denoting that it hooks to Pin #1 on each plug on the board. Usually the left side or the bottom side (depending on the orientation of the connector).

You will also have to disconnect the braid ground wire that is connected to a screw post on the lower left side of the back box. This ground connects the head to the cabinet. Also there are 2 wires that go to a switch on the left side of the cabinet just below the glass. This switch tells you the glass is off and keep you hands away from the MPF. There is a 2 pin connector but you may not see it. I did not and it held me up from separating with a heavy box in my hand. If you do not see the connector, it is easier to undo the switch with 2 small screws and it will come out with the box.

BackBox2 (resized).jpgBackBox2 (resized).jpgDSCF2796 (resized).JPGDSCF2796 (resized).JPGWireBackBoxBlack2 (resized).JPGWireBackBoxBlack2 (resized).JPG
#5940 11 months ago

Start with the basics.

The top board in your photo is the motor driver board and the red LED should be lit when game is on. This tells you that you do not have power to that board from the Power Board in the back box. The motor driver board is powered at J1-4 Black and J1-5 Red/White (+20 volts) that comes from J107-6. That is the source of your CW/CCW no movement error. Assuming you have the coin door closed and the glass switch closed with a business card folded up in it. Additionally, if the Opto below the motor on the MPF is not working, you will also get a CW/CCW. Additionally again, if you hook the motor wires up backwards you will also get a CW/CCW error.

Switches: 71,72,73 (and 74, 75) are the optos behind the mushroom buttons on the MPF. Strange how only some are not registering. (J1 on the 10 Opto board).

Switches: 31 is to the Opto Popper (J6 on the 10 Opto board) and 33 is to the Enter Top Ramp Opto (J4 on the 10 Opto board).

The 10 Opto board is powered by J3-1 Black wire ground and J3-2 Gray/Yellow (+12 volts) from J118-2 on Power Board in back box. I would measure power at both at J3 and at J118-2.

Measure all those voltages and report back.

#5946 11 months ago

I will agree that corner of the power board is a hot mess. My wires in both machines are tight. Adding 12 volt accessories (like I have) only makes it worse. Here is a picture of my J118. You can see that I have several white Z connectors to tap power off this area.

Also added a picture of that small Resistor board above the fliptronics board you are referring to.

DSCF1960 (resized).JPGDSCF1960 (resized).JPGDSCF1964 (resized).JPGDSCF1964 (resized).JPG
#5948 11 months ago

That is to light the bulb up in the Dalek Head I believe.

#5951 11 months ago

I just listed my first Doctor Who pinball in the market place.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/157212

My second Doctor Who with NOS PF is playing great and the wife asked why I had two of the same thing. LOL.
She has not caught on yet that I am building a third Doctor Who as we speak. This one will have a new CPR PF and new cabinet and boards.

DSCF3698 (resized).JPGDSCF3698 (resized).JPGDSCF3700 (resized).JPGDSCF3700 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#5966 11 months ago

Getting closer to having it working 100%, but have two last issues to resolve.
1. Left flippers: When I trigger the upper flipper, it sometimes flips twice, and/or flips then goes back down, won't hold half of the time but will sometimes. In test mode hold doesn't do anything at all. The bottom flipper can't fast multi flip, it stays almost fully engaged between fast flips, holds isn't an issue. I swapped the opto flipper board today, no change.
2. Noticed while playing I'll get "second chance" randomly, despite not draining the ball. That then made me realize that while playing I'd randomly lose a ball and go from say ball 1 to 2. I checked the 4 side drain switches and center switch, nothing is holding down the button. Could it just mean one of those switches is likely bad? Guessing disconnect one at a time, play a bunch of games until I notice it stops false ball drains?
Thanks!!

Good to hear that you are closing in on your issues.

I have had both of your issues. And can offer no immediate solution. Only things I have tried. Check the voltages on your Fliptronics board in the upper left corner of the back box. You will see that you get about 70 volts from White/Blue wires from the Power board. Follow that power through the fuses all the way down to the coils. Look at all three flipper coils. See the 3 lugs that the wires connect to? The middle one is Hold power. Note how the 70 volt Flipper power is an orange wire on all three. Your upper left Hold wire on the coil is black with a blue stripe. The Grey wire is the ground that completes the circuit when you press the flipper buttons. Careful not to shock yourself while testing voltages on this circuit. I have included pictures of how your wires should be. I have added Molex connectors to make swapping out coils easier.

Issue #2 : I am still fighting this on my new build. I found several issues that I have fixed but it still persists. I have replaced the roll over switches in the shooter lane. Then adjusted them so that they close the switch when a ball rolls over them. I replaced a couple diodes that were suspect that were coming off the white switches. I replaced the white roll over switches in the trough as well.

Please follow up on what you found worked.

DSCF3166 (resized).JPGDSCF3166 (resized).JPGDSCF3585 (resized).JPGDSCF3585 (resized).JPG
#5969 11 months ago

Yes Flipper coils should have 2 "Diodes" between the outer lugs and the inner one. The silver stripe on both face the same way. See picture of old coil I took off.

FlipperUpLeft3 (resized).JPGFlipperUpLeft3 (resized).JPG
#5970 11 months ago

Well you certainly have your fair share of troubles with this new toy of yours (quote from wife to me)...
Here is the link to why WPC games reset. In a nutshell, if the 5 V voltage goes low in the CPU board, it detects it and shuts the machine down to prevent a future problem.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#Game_resets:

WPC flippers are, in general, the only coils in the game that should have diodes across the coil lugs. While diodes seldom fail, sometimes the pounding environment that flipper diodes must live within causes solder joints to fail. Ensure that each flipper coil has the required two diodes, that the diodes are good, and that they are soldered to the coil lugs with a quality solder joint.

800px-ParallelCoilWindings (resized).jpg800px-ParallelCoilWindings (resized).jpg
#5977 11 months ago

Victor: I appreciate your honest "tough love" approach to pinball problems requested by users. I always seem to learn something new from your posts. I copy the golden nuggets and put them in a word document for future reference.

#5986 10 months ago

Imagine if you will that you have 2 working restored Dr Who pinball machines and are working on building a third. You are knee deep in fixing a chopped up wiring harness from a destroyed machine. First Dr. Who #2 decides to stop the MPF in mid rise in a game and not move even in test mode. Second Dr. Who #1 decides that the right Opto in the 5 Opto board in the MPF will stop working and throws a Credit Dot, while you are trying to sell it. That Pindora Box Opto board is less than a year old. Maybe its just a loose connection or light leakage on the side.

It is like they are jealous of me spending so much time on #3. I have ordered more Opto boards, just in case. I needed one for #3 anyway. I wonder if #2 needs a new motor gear box. Machines don't have feelings right???

#5989 10 months ago

Erin_H Here are two versions that I have used of the Tardis interior walls. You will have to resize them in a photo or paint program to get them to the size you want. Then use a glue stick to mount it.

I believe your picture is of pinballinreno machine. I have attached a picture of mine.

Note that both are the updated USB Tardis conversion. That is the same size but much more realistic. It does require a bit of cutting and modification to get the VUK trail to exit. I chose to cut a round hole with a dremel. I also used a yellow highlighter to accentuate the roundells. Switching out a blue led is also a lot better than the blue rubber sock over the bulb on the original.

Tardis19 (resized).JPGTardis19 (resized).JPGTardis17 (resized).JPGTardis17 (resized).JPGTardis (resized).jpgTardis (resized).jpgTardisinterior (resized).pngTardisinterior (resized).pngTardis2 (resized).JPGTardis2 (resized).JPG

#5990 10 months ago

Another shameless plug for my recent project Doctor Who #3. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1992-doctor-who-restoration-build/page/3#post-7612022 . I am still gathering parts, but mostly have the PF rewired with new coils, switches and bulb holders. The back box lamp board is stuffed with bulb holders but not wired yet. The new colored wires have arrived from Wire-Bot.xyz plus all the pins and molex connectors.

352344371_583804623893704_5498875598788769168_n (resized).jpg352344371_583804623893704_5498875598788769168_n (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5998 10 months ago

Interesting thing happened today on my Doctor Who #1 machine. I put in the protectors on the sides of the cabinet walls, to protect the graphics. I raised the PF, to adjust the right flipper and tighten them all up. From all the "Freeplay" activity the game got at Allentown Pinfest, the right flipper had slipped down 1/16". This made shots more difficult. I lowered the PF and turned the machine on. All seemed OK. Then the DMD screen showed a different looking set of screens. More Box like screens, is the way I would describe it. I could still read the usual screens but they all looked different. I thought "How the Hell did this happen?"

Then I hit "Play" button. The right flipper button went full on (HOLD) and would not respond. I turned the machine off and raised the PF again. Don't laugh. Well, OK, laugh at my foolishness. The right protector was pressing the flipper button switch down. Once I moved it off the Flipper board, all went back to normal. Wish I had taken pictures of the alternate screens.

#6001 10 months ago

Erin_H
I am guessing that you have an original 30 year old Audio board. My next guess is that one or more components (Capacitors/Diodes) are dying. Look at you board to see if you see any burn marks on it or funny looking repairs. Alternatively, your connectors might be loose from age/wear causing the sound to drop out. First try disconnecting the connectors one at a time and reseating them. Look for melted areas on them as well. Show us a picture. shared my picture of my original sound board with funky repairs and a melted connector in the lower left corner.

Some would play it till the sound just stops all together. You can have your board rebuilt or do it yourself if you have the skills. They sell a rebuild kit both here and at Marcos. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CAPKITWPC

Some of us have replaced the audio board with Pinsound+ board and love it with all the alternative sounds. And add the stereo wires and shaker kit.
https://www.pinsound.org/machine/doctor-who/
But some (see above) are not as happy.

Quoted from Erin_H:

Hello, I didn't know where to post this, but I decided to start here!
I recently purchased a Doctor Who, but I'm having trouble with the music. The music gets distorted/static-y, and sometimes drops out completely. The sound-effects and voices seem to be fine, but the music is a problem. It sounds funny in all the speakers, so this doesn't seem to be a speaker-specific problem.
Thank you for any suggestions!
Here is an example of the music cutting out during play:

DSCF3529 (resized).JPGDSCF3529 (resized).JPG
#6008 10 months ago

I mostly play the 13 Doctors mix, but also like the Hendrix, Rush, Heavy Metal. My wife likes the Disco mix, though. LOL.

#6013 10 months ago

One thing I noticed from the picture is that you are still using the stock Mono black wires and connectors from the Audio board to the speakers.
I would recommend that you get a set of the stereo speaker wires (Red and Black wires). And plug them into the lower connection block on Pinsound board. Then also make sure you plug the correct polarity into the speakers.
https://www.pinsound.org/shop/en/21-pinsound-stereo-21-wire-harness.html

See picture of mine.

Cabinet10 (resized).JPGCabinet10 (resized).JPGDSCF1963 (resized).JPGDSCF1963 (resized).JPG

#6016 10 months ago
Quoted from Erin_H:

I was considering this after I got Mono working. I noticed tonight that turning up/down volume OR tapping the right speaker helps the audio come back for a little while. Can one bad speaker connection make all three speakers stop working??

Yes, because the speakers are daisy chained off the two black wires coming from the audio board. The stereo wires send audio down seperate red and black wires.

#6018 10 months ago

I'm bbaacckk, ha. I have to loop back and work on the power issues still that everyone was helping me with last month. The tough love was just fine, I totally get it and it's the reason why I posted the photos I did, to see if anyone catches something I was missing, one of course being that I was reading the multimeter wrong! Learn and grow!
But today I'm back for another reason...I received my lighted speaker panel and ran into an issue. There isn't any screw holes for the 7 doctor light board under the DMD. I reached out to Lighted Pinball Mods but haven't heard back yet. I started to screw it into where it made sense, however the material doesn't seem to be wood, so I got concerned and stopped quickly before doing any damage. With a color DMD, it's a tight fit, I think I may flip the light board upside down and repin the Molex connector. Thoughts?
Thanks!

You might add some additional information, like which Color DMD you have? LCD or LED. I have the LED version but some here have the LCD. The LCD is larger and there are previous posts how difficult that install was.

I have 2 lighted speaker panels. Once with an original DMD and one with the Color DmD. It is made of a particle board and you will have to predrill the holes with a smaller drill bit, but only go half way through the board. The original screws will work just fine if you still have them. Make sure to line up the doctors with the bulbs. Even with the LED version, if just barely fits.

DSCF3182 (resized).JPGDSCF3182 (resized).JPG
#6023 10 months ago

My Dr Who has been running great for the last 4 years. Only issue in all that time was just a switch for the shooter lane.
Haven't played it for a while and it was acting weird. Noticed the Mini playfield is not moving. Not even trying to move.
Time to dig out the manual. Will open it up later tonight and check it out.

I would check the motor board in the center of the underneath Playfield for 20 volts on black and red wires J1. Then also check the 2 pin connector going to the motor. It will be directly behind the cabinet speaker.

Playfield3 (resized).jpegPlayfield3 (resized).jpeg
#6030 9 months ago

One of the advantages of the ULF smooth lifter kit, is that it has the ability to move the MPR forward and back to adjust the gap. I do not understand how the tips of the brackets extend further out than the wooden edge of the MPF, especially with a top and bottom Cliffys in front of it. Sounds like your 3 door metal piece is tilted forward and not sitting flat on the MPF.

2 weeks later
#6039 9 months ago

Interesting observation that others may have seen or remembered. I had a #71 Opto error with the right most mushroom target on level 2 of the MPF. This required replacing the 5 opto boards with new ones from Pandora Box. Once installed and the MPF replaced, it was time to turn on the machine. As we all know, when there is an error detected, there will be a credit dot on the DMD screen. I turned the pinball on and there was the credit dot and the bong sound that something was still wrong. I started a game, and the credit dot went away. I have played a dozen games since and the credit dot has not returned.

So, I am guessing that once an error is in the system and stored, it stays that way until a game has been started.

The other interesting thing about certain errors is that the game will compensate for the error. For instance in the case of a 71 to 75 Opto error, the game will wait till you at level 2 of the MPF. Then when you hit one of the active Mushroom targets, it will register that 1 hit and suddenly add 3 lights in front of the broken Opto.

On another note, I had installed a new MPF motor and gearbox in my recent build of Dr Who. 6 months and less than 100 plays later the motor was fried. I took the MPF apart. It has the ULF smooth lifter kit and I verified that there was no bind in the lifter portion. No ball had got stuck/jammed on the edge of the MPF either. When separated from the electric motor, the gear box and gears moved smoothly. Putting 12 volts to the motor only produced a spark on the terminal, meaning the motor was shorted internally. I have a collection of original and newer motor gearboxs. The original have a white plastic end to the motor where the wires are soldered. The new ones from most all vendors have a metal end. AND are marked Made in China. The gear boxed look similar in shape but have no stamping below the voltage or RPM markings. The gear box case is also screwed together, instead of a brass rivet. Another case of aftermarket reproductions that work for a short time only.

#6040 9 months ago

Good news. My new pinball transformer just showed up from Homepin in Taiwan via Pinball Life. I made sure all my cabinet wires fit all the transformer plugs too. This is for my latest WPC89 Dr Who Build.

360124091_746640704134418_59071523712200253_n (resized).jpg360124091_746640704134418_59071523712200253_n (resized).jpg362657684_6873554242668799_679174327444437665_n (resized).jpg362657684_6873554242668799_679174327444437665_n (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
£ 110.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
355 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Tophervette. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tophervette.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome?tu=Tophervette and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.