Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,404 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Pablito350
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,404 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 29.
    #1051 1 year ago

Which PinSound Board?
    - Double check all connections (make sure they are correct orientation & also make sure pins are aligned correctly)
    - Did you adjust the volume on the pot dials on the PinSound Board?
    - Since this is a Williams pin, did you change settings to minimum volume override = off
    - What is the pin's volume setting at?
    - Do you get the same result with the standard sound package?

#1052 1 year ago

Which PinSound Board? I have the Plus
    - Double check all connections (make sure they are correct orientation & also make sure pins are aligned correctly) They are
    - Did you adjust the volume on the pot dials on the PinSound Board? No just did, no change
    - Since this is a Williams pin, did you change settings to minimum volume override = off - It's set to No
    - What is the pin's volume setting at? Was 12 moved it to 8 no change.
    - Do you get the same result with the standard sound package? Sound worked fine prior to conversion.

#1053 1 year ago
    Quoted from fossmin:

- Do you get the same result with the standard sound package? Sound worked fine prior to conversion.

No, I'm asking if you download the original orchestration version for the PinSound if/how that works.

#1054 1 year ago

No only that one. Should I try another?

#1055 1 year ago

It appears I did load the original. I thought for sure I installed the expanded.

#1056 1 year ago

Please post a zoomed in photo of your installed Pinsound that shows all connectors.

#1057 1 year ago

From post 1042… getting a hissing type noise on my BSD with pinsound plus. Reached out to pinsound and they asked for the diag folder from the usb. Checked out ok. Then stated I shouldn’t be using the factory speaker wiring.
    I also running stock speakers for now. Anyone else using the factory speaker wiring ? Does it have a hissing type noise???

#1058 1 year ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

. Anyone else using the factory speaker wiring ? Does it have a hissing type noise???

Yes and yes

#1060 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Please post a zoomed in photo of your installed Pinsound that shows all connectors.

OK I am stupid. I took the usb flash out. Is it supposed to remain? I flipped J504 and J505 after the picture. I have the original game sound now. How to switch to a Pinsound file?

IMG_8605 (resized).JPGIMG_8605 (resized).JPG

#1061 1 year ago

Yes, the USB drive is the memory card for the PinSound board so it must always be left plugged in.

Here are the orchestrations available for BSD: https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/category/28-dracula

Just download one (or all), place one zip file at a time on the root of the USB drive, power on pin and let orchestration install. Repeat process for next orchestration(s). To switch orchestrations, while pin is fully booted, turn volume down to zero until you hear the chime and a brief snippet will play. Turn volume back to regular level and play the game.

#1062 1 year ago

Do you remove each zip file each download or leave them all on the card?

My volume only goes down to 8.

#1063 1 year ago
    Quoted from fossmin:

There should be a volume override as part of the game settings. Part of the main game which you would need to set if you ever wanted to be able to go below 8. That setting applies to any sound card installed.

#1064 1 year ago
    Quoted from fossmin:

-Min volume override should be "Yes" or "On" (I forget the setting)
    -The zip file will automatically be deleted upon installation

#1065 1 year ago

I was finally able to try a PinSound Plus board in Dr Who. So far unfortunately, it is a bit of a disappointment. The only sound pack that seems to work well is the original one. The rest have the background music but you can barely hear the call outs. I didn't see a setting just to boost those up. Also one sound pack seemed to act erratic. I just ordered a new 16GB USB 3.1 drive and will reload the sound packs one at a time on that one to see if it helps.

This is installed in place of the original sound board with the original speakers and wiring. I had no issues with the original sound board or speakers. Just wanted to try the upgrade for the alternative sound packs to make the game fresh again.

When it was first installed I loaded the latest firmware on the USB stick and let it update to the most recent firmware. Then one at a time put each of the sound packs I wanted to load. I read it could use up to seven so I loaded the ones that looked the best.

Below is the log file from the USB stick. I'm using a 64GB USB 3.1 stick.

-= PinSound Self Diagnosis =-

HARDWARE MODEL
    ------------------
    PLUS

HARDWARE REVISION
    ------------------

HPS EXTERNAL VOLUME
    ------------------
    97%

INTERNAL FIRMWARE REVISION
    ------------------

PACKAGES
    ------------------
    Doctorin_the_Tardis_V1.1
    Doctor_Who_13_Doctors_V1.3
    Doctor_Who_2JCmix (active)
    Doctor_Who_Disco
    doctor_who_meets_metal_v1
    Doctor_Who_Modern_V1.0
    Doctor_Who_Original

PINSOUND FIRMWARE VERSION
    ------------------

POTENTIOMETERS
    ------------------
    EQ SUB BASS 56%
    EQ BASS 46%
    EQ MEDIUM 48%
    EQ TREBLE 44%
    SUB BOOSTER 55%
    HEADPHONES STATION GAIN 58%

POWER SUPPLIES
    ------------------
    5V MEASURED: 4825mV (expected range: 4700mV - 5100mV)
    [lowest 5V measured: 4755mV / highest 5V measured: 4865mV]

AMPLIFIER VOLTAGE MEASURED: 25253mV (expected range: 11000mV - 30000mV)
    [lowest amplifier voltage measured: 24180mV / highest amplification voltage measured: 25710mV]

SERIAL NUMBER
    ------------------
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SYSTEM
    ------------------
    WPC89

USB DEVICES
    ------------------
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 090c:2000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.)

I'm hoping there is a simple explanation or re-doing the sound packs fixes the issue.

#1066 1 year ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I was finally able to try a PinSound Plus board in Dr Who. So far unfortunately, it is a bit of a disappointment. The only sound pack that seems to work well is the original one. The rest have the background music but you can barely hear the call outs. I didn't see a setting just to boost those up. Also one sound pack seemed to act erratic. I just ordered a new 16GB USB 3.1 drive and will reload the sound packs one at a time on that one to see if it helps.
    This is installed in place of the original sound board with the original speakers and wiring. I had no issues with the original sound board or speakers. Just wanted to try the upgrade for the alternative sound packs to make the game fresh again.
    When it was first installed I loaded the latest firmware on the USB stick and let it update to the most recent firmware. Then one at a time put each of the sound packs I wanted to load. I read it could use up to seven so I loaded the ones that looked the best.
    HARDWARE MODEL
    ------------------
    PLUS
    HARDWARE REVISION
    ------------------
    HPS EXTERNAL VOLUME
    ------------------
    97%
    ------------------
    PACKAGES
    ------------------
    Doctorin_the_Tardis_V1.1
    Doctor_Who_Disco
    Doctor_Who_Modern_V1.0
    Doctor_Who_Original
    ------------------
    POTENTIOMETERS
    ------------------
    EQ SUB BASS 56%
    EQ BASS 46%
    EQ MEDIUM 48%
    EQ TREBLE 44%
    SUB BOOSTER 55%
    POWER SUPPLIES
    ------------------
    [lowest amplifier voltage measured: 24180mV / highest amplification voltage measured: 25710mV]
    SERIAL NUMBER
    ------------------
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    SYSTEM
    ------------------
    WPC89
    USB DEVICES
    ------------------
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 090c:2000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.)
    I'm hoping there is a simple explanation or re-doing the sound packs fixes the issue.

The issue is that not all orchestration creators follow the same process and specifications, so the orchestrations will vary. Typically this will result in unbalanced volumes and other issues.

As a workaround you can pull the orchestration into PinSound Studio and make gain adjustments on sounds, folders, etc. Ideally, the orchestration volume levels for all files should have been equalized when the orchestration was made. Once you make the adjustments save the file then copy the newly created config.pinsound file to the USB for the orchestration you were working on (I'm assuming you were not working directly from the USB, but you had copied the USB files to your computer).

#1067 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The issue is that not all orchestration creators follow the same process and specifications, so the orchestrations will vary. Typically this will result in unbalanced volumes and other issues.
    As a workaround you can pull the orchestration into PinSound Studio and make gain adjustments on sounds, folders, etc. Ideally, the orchestration volume levels for all files should have been equalized when the orchestration was made. Once you make the adjustments save the file then copy the newly created config.pinsound file to the USB for the orchestration you were working on (I'm assuming you were not working directly from the USB, but you had copied the USB files to your computer).

All I did was download the 7 different orchestrations from the Pinsound site as ZIP files. Then starting with a blank USB thumb drive I copied over the ZIP file for the original sound track. Put that in the game and let it convert the files. After that was done I shut down the game and removed the drive. The ZIP file was no longer there. Then I copied over the next ZIP file and continued that whole process one at a time until all were processed.

I didn't edit any files on my computer or download any software to edit the orchestrations. Only used the computer for downloading and transferring the ZIP files.

I was just surprised that the volume difference was so different between the background music and normal sound effects to the point is all you can really hear is the background music. Didn't know if I missed a step or if something was wrong.

Unless I'm the only one still using factory speakers I would expect someone would have run into this on their Dr Who before. I guess it is possible that he board is defective somehow but I don't have a reference to compare with.

#1068 1 year ago

All I did was download the 7 different orchestrations from the Pinsound site as ZIP files. Then starting with a blank USB thumb drive I copied over the ZIP file for the original sound track. Put that in the game and let it convert the files. After that was done I shut down the game and removed the drive. The ZIP file was no longer there. Then I copied over the next ZIP file and continued that whole process one at a time until all were processed.
    I didn't edit any files on my computer or download any software to edit the orchestrations. Only used the computer for downloading and transferring the ZIP files.
    I was just surprised that the volume difference was so different between the background music and normal sound effects to the point is all you can really hear is the background music. Didn't know if I missed a step or if something was wrong.
    Unless I'm the only one still using factory speakers I would expect someone would have run into this on their Dr Who before. I guess it is possible that he board is defective somehow but I don't have a reference to compare with.

Contact pinsound. They will probably ask you to send them the diag folder from the usb.

#1069 1 year ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

Contact pinsound. They will probably ask you to send them the diag folder from the usb.

I should have a new USB stick here tomorrow and will go through the process again. I'd like to rule out a possible issue with the USB stick first. If the issue is still there I can open a ticket.

From all the YouTube videos the new sound packages for Dr Who are pretty awesome and really can add to the game. Will be nice to get to that point.

#1070 1 year ago

Personally, I think it may be an issue with the orchestrations for that pin. Open a music file in Audacity and compare its histogram to one of the FX files and/or a music file from the standard orchestration. I'm betting the amplitude of the original file is way off the standard.

#1071 1 year ago

They could be. At least I have some direction and things to check. Thank you!

#1072 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

-Min volume override should be "Yes" or "On" (I forget the setting)
    -The zip file will automatically be deleted upon installation

OK, I got volume to be able to set to zero. The pinsound original I downloaded was inside a file called audio. Is this right? I am still not able to play the pinsound sound package. I took it out of the file out of the folder and put it directly on just the flash drive. Still no change.

#1073 1 year ago
    Quoted from fossmin:

OK, I got volume to be able to set to zero. The pinsound original I downloaded was inside a file called audio. Is this right? I am still not able to play the pinsound sound package. I took it out of the file out of the folder and put it directly on just the flash drive. Still no change.

Do NOT play with the folders/files directly. You put the downloaded .zip file on the usb. Put the usb in pinsound. Turn on the game. It will decompress the file and install things where they go. It takes 10-20 mins. You will hear status from pinsound but it’s very faint.

#1074 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Do NOT play with the folders/files directly. You put the downloaded .zip file on the usb. Put the usb in pinsound. Turn on the game. It will decompress the file and install things where they go. It takes 10-20 mins. You will hear status from pinsound but it’s very faint.

Quoted from MrMikeman:

Thanks. How do you know when it is 100% complete? Mine seems to load in less than 2 minutes.

#1075 1 year ago

HARDWARE MODEL
    ------------------
    PLUS
    HARDWARE REVISION
    ------------------
    HPS EXTERNAL VOLUME
    ------------------
    97%
    ------------------
    PACKAGES
    ------------------
    Doctorin_the_Tardis_V1.1
    Doctor_Who_Disco
    Doctor_Who_Modern_V1.0
    Doctor_Who_Original
    ------------------
    POTENTIOMETERS
    ------------------
    EQ SUB BASS 56%
    EQ BASS 46%
    EQ MEDIUM 48%
    EQ TREBLE 44%
    SUB BOOSTER 55%
    POWER SUPPLIES
    ------------------
    SERIAL NUMBER
    ------------------
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    SYSTEM
    ------------------
    WPC89
    USB DEVICES
    ------------------

Be interested to hear how my Rush and Jimi Hendrix orchestrations sound in terms of volumes and background sounds. Compared to the others you are trying. Thanks.

#1076 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Be interested to hear how my Rush and Jimi Hendrix orchestrations sound in terms of volumes and background sounds. Compared to the others you are trying. Thanks.

I haven’t tried those yet but I will. Just got a fresh 16GB USB 3.1 to put the mixes on.

What kind of speaker setup do you have? I am using factory speakers. If your mixes sound good then it may just be the other mixes that need some tweaking.

Isn’t there a limit to 7 different mixes? Or was that an older limit? Would be nice to load them all up.

#1077 1 year ago
    Quoted from fossmin:

Thanks. How do you know when it is 100% complete? Mine seems to load in less than 2 minutes.

Normalizing all the files to minus 3 seems to work the best.

#1078 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnJN:

I haven’t changed anything - the game sat there I played for a while and when I turned it on it started doing this. The rest of the sounds seem to play normally

Just noticed mine is doing the same thing at the start up. Did you ever find a resolution for this? I might try and update to the latest firmware and see if it helps.

#1079 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Normalizing all the files to minus 3 seems to work the best.

Still trying to get this to work. Can anyone help me? Not sure what to try next.

#1080 1 year ago
    Quoted from fossmin:

Still trying to get this to work. Can anyone help me? Not sure what to try next.

What USB stick are you using? Some are great quality and some are not. Should start by just putting just a single zip file in the root of the USB drive. Before pulling it out make sure dismount and safely remove. If you just copy to the USB stick and then just pull it out the file could be corrupt and not convert.

#1081 1 year ago

I am using the Pinsound usb stick. I do safely remove the usb from the computer and I am downloading only one zip file. Once I put it into the game it is creating a audio file the the Dracula Orginal file is inside the audio file. Is this correct?

#1082 1 year ago

OK, I got a couple of very basic questions hope someone can answer regarding pinsound and TZ.

I bought a pinsound 1 board and speakers at TPF a few years back and was flip flopping on installing it and still have not done so.

I have no desire to make my own mixes and don't really want to start troubleshooting new sound issues.

I also feel I may not like hearing new or different sounds coming out of my TZ I owned since 1997.

So my question is if I installed pinsound can I go back to the 100% original soundtrack? I don't remember seeing that option as a download.

And if it does exist how will it sound through pinsound if I do upgrade the speakers?

I really wanted to hear the Granner version but I hear it's not complete and missing Golden Earing.

With as many years it took me to install this board there is still a very limited amount of mixes available and I expect most to be hack jobs based on the issues I've kept seeing/reading about on pinside. I do not want to fuss with working on the files.

And if I'm convinced not to install it and decide to sell my pinsound 1 board with speakers and headphone jack what would it be worth?

Thanks Martin

#1083 1 year ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

So my question is if I installed pinsound can I go back to the 100% original soundtrack? I don't remember seeing that option as a download.

Yes, just choose the original soundtrack.

Quoted from marspinball:

And if I'm convinced not to install it and decide to sell my pinsound 1 board with speakers and headphone jack what would it be worth?

I will give you half what you paid for it and the speakers.

Seriously, the sound is better and fuller in stereo and with the subwoofer control.

Multiple mixes are fun to play with but, really people just stick to the original or a very good more modern mix.

#1084 1 year ago

I haven’t tried those yet but I will. Just got a fresh 16GB USB 3.1 to put the mixes on.
    What kind of speaker setup do you have? I am using factory speakers. If your mixes sound good then it may just be the other mixes that need some tweaking.
    Isn’t there a limit to 7 different mixes? Or was that an older limit? Would be nice to load them all up.

Looks like new firmware is out. Going to load that up and see if that helps.

Does anyone know if there is a limit of 7 mixes or can you load more?

#1085 1 year ago

Looks like new firmware is out. Going to load that up and see if that helps.
    Does anyone know if there is a limit of 7 mixes or can you load more?

You can load more. I've had 10+ on a game before.

1 week later
    #1086 1 year ago

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out how to get new sound packages into Funhouse 2.0 (Rudy's Nightmare) for the original 1.0 game. I think I read they use a modified version for Funhouse 2.0, (Pinsound XL?). It seems that the .zip files do not work the same way they did in the past on my older pinsound plus board, but I did find a download that was done as a .pspack file that seems to work by just putting that file on the root of the SD card. The only problem is that most of the files available on the pinsound.org site are all done as .zip format. I am really mainly looking for the original remastered sound and the Mr Tantrum Stereo/Normalized Mix. If anyone has those converted to work off the .psppack files and could send them to me that would solve my problems I guess. Or if there is a way to convert the .zip files to .psppack files somehow that would be ideal.

On a side-note, when I try opening a .psppack file in the pinsound studio software it just closes out the software. I can open the config.pinsound files just fine though. No clue why.

The original sound for the 1.0 version on a Rudy's Nightmare machine sounds lower in quality to me than my old original board and speakers did. But the sound in the 2.0 code sounds great so I am thinking with some better pinsound files the 1.0 sound should be much better...

1 week later
    #1087 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You can load more. I've had 10+ on a game before.

Did you ever figure this out. I'm having the same problem. The sound effects are laughable quiet. It's super frustrating. Is there not a way to open the config.pinsound file and tweak it in there? On a normal computer, the sounds and music seem the same volume. I'm pretty displeased.

#1088 1 year ago

Going to repost this question.
    I have a hissing noise from by BSD with a pinsound plus board. I’m using the factory speakers ( for now) . At first I had used the factory wiring and the hissing was from all speakers. Pinsound said I should be using the stero wiring. Switched to that and now the hissing is only from the cabinet speaker. I’ve sent my diag file from the usb to pinsound and it checked out ok. Anyone else run into this???

1 week later
    #1089 1 year ago

I have a Pinsound Plus board in my DE Jurassic Park and want to replace it ("downgrade") to an original Pinsound. Can I just swap the board or is it more involved than that?

Can I use just swap the USB or is it tied to the firmware version?

thanks!

#1090 1 year ago
    Quoted from scootss:

I have a Pinsound Plus board in my DE Jurassic Park and want to replace it ("downgrade") to an original Pinsound. Can I just swap the board or is it more involved than that?
    Can I use just swap the USB or is it tied to the firmware version?
    thanks!

You can just swap the hardware.

As for the USB drive, as long as the PinSound 1 board has the latest firmware, I believe it will work "as is".

#1091 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

As for the USB drive, as long as the PinSound 1 board has the latest firmware, I believe it will work "as is"

Awesome. Thanks!

1 week later
    #1092 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This worked great except every time I turn the pin on it starts at max volume. I can then lower it with the volume pot inside the coin door. Any ideas?

Thanks!

#1093 1 year ago
    Quoted from scootss:

This worked great except every time I turn the pin on it starts at max volume. I can then lower it with the volume pot inside the coin door. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Whoa, never heard of that occurring before.

#1094 1 year ago

Anyone know why the forums are down?

https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/

#1095 1 year ago

Server crash... or trouble with Rick?

#1096 1 year ago

Here's a new Sound Pack 2.1.0 for Terminator 2 with some improvements:

https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/file/383-t2_enhanced_profanity_averell_v10zip/

Same version as 2.0.0 with exchanged and moved sound "1589175137-mystery_background" from jingles to music so it works properly with Soundtest in all Game ROM versions.

Extended with the Profanity Call Out "Fuck You Asshole". Playable with Game ROM L8.3 (coming soon on IPDB).

This Sound Pack includes the original Sound Pack and the remastered Sound Pack that is based on the Sound Pack from EndProdukt, but includes a funny boot.wav.

Of course both Sound Packs run with all other Game ROMs, but the Profanity Call Out "Fuck You Asshole" is only supported with Game ROM L8.3 or higher.

You can switch between the original Sound Pack and the remastered version.

A nice feature is the shaker support by Motion Control, which also works in the original sound pack as in the remastered version.

#1097 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Quoted from scootss:
    Thanks!

More
    Whoa, never heard of that occurring before.

Disregard. Happened twice and then never again. But I am getting a faint "ticking" sound on boot. Any ideas?

1 week later
    #1098 1 year ago

How many files can you have on a plus board?

#1099 1 year ago

Who could I pay to create a sound package for me? I don’t know exactly what I’d want yet but I do know I’m not able to dedicate the time to figuring it out. Any freelance audio nerds out there interested in making a custom package?!

There are 1,404 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.