(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 132.
#651 8 years ago

Just joined the club this Thursday. Added a couple Daleks and one Davros. This Gold Dalek sits on top of the upper right pop bumper and when you have ball bouncing around up there, his arm and gun stalk jiggle!

20150704_143324.jpg20150704_143324.jpg

This Supreme Dalek is waiting for the Doctor to exit the TARDIS

20150704_143317.jpg20150704_143317.jpg

Davros lurks in the upper left corner:

20150704_143255.jpg20150704_143255.jpg

...and the entire pin is guarded by my life size Dalek!

20150704_142526.jpg20150704_142526.jpg

Just gotta get one of those nice alternate translites now!

#652 8 years ago
Quoted from altan:

L1 is da bomb and you'd be crazy to use anything else.
[using 1980s verbiage]
Agree/Disagree?

What's the difference? What makes L1 better?

#653 8 years ago

I joined the club a couple weeks back. I got a very, very nice DW from Tigerlaw. I had to do a bit of tweaking with the mini playfield to get it to sit level. It truly is a great game with multiple ways to score big.

#654 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

What's the difference? What makes L1 better?

Post was a follow up to an earlier one where I asked about l1/l2 and stated someone posted they liked l1 better.

My post was designed to get a dr who owner to chime in.. But has failed.

#655 8 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

I joined the club a couple weeks back. I got a very, very nice DW from Tigerlaw. I had to do a bit of tweaking with the mini playfield to get it to sit level. It truly is a great game with multiple ways to score big.

Wait, what?! Tigerlaw sold his DW!?!?

#656 8 years ago

Finally joined the club, maybe a tad sooner than I expected but a machine popped up close enough in fantastic condition, so I jumped at the chance... took the Aerobarge / Retardis on a pre-weekend day-off road trip...

20150702_163112.jpg20150702_163112.jpg

Funny enough, the trip took 7 hours... but after I unhappily discovered that WPC wiring is a nightmare and removing the pf / backbox was probably an horrible idea, it took almost that long to get it down to the basement (single interior stairwell) in one piece!

But the confusion, surprise, and shocked delight when my girls heard the Attract Dalek shouting from down there, unseen, made it all worthwhile

Game itself is in amazing shape... was stored the last 15+ years, so the cab and pf are almost perfect. While it shows some typical time expander wear, it's all very serviceable and won't be seen with cliffy's. I also had to devise a fix for the 3-door daleks to reset, but that was simple.

I don't know why this game gets such a middling rap... there's so much to do, so many targets, and that damn "O" ramp is not easy to make (for me anyway). Frakking lightning flippers!

I still need to tighten the outlanes (they're WIDE open) for the kids but looking forward to exploring all the strategies meanwhile...

#657 8 years ago

So the import / export of text overlays and photos kind of messed up the alignment, but here's a preview of an idea I have, since I have a vinyl cutter. The small letters might be an issue.

Would anyone else be interested were I to try perfecting these for sale? If so, at what price? Not trying to bleed anyone or make promises... just wondering how much effort I should put into this beyond my own amusement.

To that end, if there's overwhelming opinion I could be swayed to change the text. As it is, I tried to blend a suitable homage to Tardis and Pinball lore...

DrWhoPinSignDraft.jpgDrWhoPinSignDraft.jpg

#658 8 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

So the import / export of text overlays and photos kind of messed up the alignment, but here's a preview of an idea I have, since I have a vinyl cutter. The small letters might be an issue.
Would anyone else be interested were I to try perfecting these for sale? If so, at what price? Not trying to bleed anyone or make promises... just wondering how much effort I should put into this beyond my own amusement.
To that end, if there's overwhelming opinion I could be swayed to change the text. As it is, I tried to blend a suitable homage to Tardis and Pinball lore...
Image loading is disabled in your settings. un-hideDrWhoPinSignDraft.jpg

the coindoor pictured is not the correct door for the game.

It should look like this.
IMG_4775.JPGIMG_4775.JPG

#659 8 years ago

I'm not saying it is not a cool idea, just that it may not work on games with the original door.

#660 8 years ago

Was more than one coin door used originally? My game was built in November 1992; it came with the original manuals, including a dated insert that says it's ready for use with new bill validators, which would have gone into the blank panel to the left of the coin slots.

Maybe the type of door was a specified option, sort of how the toppers could be optional as well?

As for supporting multiple door types, I might be able to accommodate some if there is interest, and I'm given a good pic and/or dimensions to work with. The one you showed might be problematic given the raised panels, though.

EDIT: OK, quickly scanning back through pics in this thread, I do see multiple different door styles used. Including at least 2 more games with the style I have! OTOH there's also at least that many with the 3-slot (or compatible) version. Interesting! But at least it means mine is likely in fact "correct" in a sense; it must have been a distributor option.

#661 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

the coindoor pictured is not the correct door for the game.

check ipdb...different doors shown there on some full on restores. Either way coin door decals won't work with multiple styles

#662 8 years ago

Was more than one coin door used originally? My game was built in November 1992; it came with the original manuals, including a dated insert that says it's ready for use with new bill validators, which would have gone into the blank panel to the left of the coin slots.
Maybe the type of door was a specified option, sort of how the toppers could be optional as well?
As for supporting multiple door types, I might be able to accommodate some if there is interest, and I'm given a good pic and/or dimensions to work with. The one you showed might be problematic given the raised panels, though.
EDIT: OK, quickly scanning back through pics in this thread, I do see multiple different door styles used. Including at least 2 more games with the style I have! OTOH there's also at least that many with the 3-slot (or compatible) version. Interesting! But at least it means mine is likely in fact "correct" in a sense; it must have been a distributor option.

Not sure. Yours is probably correct then.

2 weeks later
#663 8 years ago

Has anyone who's installed the USB-Tardis mod, had to modify the LED wiring? The dedicated thread did not mention this as being required. And I don't think anyone here mentioned anything other than hooking up the original harness to the LED in the USB unit.

However, the LED in mine flashed and blew out immediately when I turned the machine on. I'd wondered if I should have put a resistor in-line "just in case", but then I wasn't sure how bright or dim the "stock" LED would be, so I didn't have a guess as to what resistance to use.

Also, the windows in my USB unit were black, not white... I wonder if the LED was changed as well?

Kinda bummed I have to redo this thing, as I carefully cut mine so the doors would be properly open and I printed an interior shot you can see through the habitrail.

#664 8 years ago

I think you might be referring to my thread... but no I did not. it's been working great since I installed it.

Would love to see pictures of yours btw! I have contemplated the habitrail pictures in mine as well.

#665 8 years ago

Did you change the light in it to a 12 volt 3mm LED from Led-Switch.com?

#666 8 years ago

Kinda bummed I have to redo this thing, as I carefully cut mine so the doors would be properly open and I printed an interior shot you can see through the habitrail.

Any pictures of that?

#667 8 years ago

FYI, My thirteen year old son is doing his first restoration on a Doctor Who.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-with-dad-dr-who

I know some of you have already been on his thread with ideas and encouragement, Thank You
For anyone else here please feel free to give him advise, he is already amazed at the outpooring of help here on Pinside.

#668 8 years ago

I may be joining the club today. I'm going to check out one a non-pinhead has. The guy has never done maintenance. He says the only issue is sometimes the Tardis won't kick out the ball. The playfield and mini-playfield both look good. Anything else I should look out for?

#669 8 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

The playfield and mini-playfield both look good. Anything else I should look out for?

Play a game and see if the MPF goes up and down and stops in the right spots(don't just use MPF test, use gameplay)...see if it has to "retry" to go up ever. Check if MPF is crooked. In MPF test, stop with the bubble optos showing and do a switch test on the optos for all those....check to see if MPF stops flush with playfield...look at MPF beneath playfield for old grease gunk buildup...basically the rest of the game is cake to fix/shop, MPF is #1 concern. If it needs work on the MPF and has cabinet fade try to get it under 2K. If cabinet is not faded and MPF is good I'd go more.

#670 8 years ago

How much of a cost deduction would you guys place on faded reds on the cabinet? In a lot of locations you can't even really see the side of a pin. Just curios, mine's not for sale.

#671 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

FYI, My thirteen year old son is doing his first restoration on a Doctor Who.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-with-dad-dr-who
I know some of you have already been on his thread with ideas and encouragement, Thank You
For anyone else here please feel free to give him advise, he is already amazed at the outpooring of help here on Pinside.

What a great project. I have some decal scans I can send your way. PM if interested.

#672 8 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

Anything else I should look out for?

If you're looking for wear spots, besides the obvious inlane/shooter lane spots, the major ones I found that you may not think to look for (other than the edges of the Time Expander) are:

• By the rubber pad at the top of the shooter lane
• In the 'H' lane where balls drop through the trap door
• In the 'H' lane by the rubber pad at the top

#673 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

How much of a cost deduction would you guys place on faded reds on the cabinet?

Nearly every one is faded...personally I could care less about a cabinet. You never see it if you have more than 1 game.

#674 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Any pictures of that?

Here's a few..

I wanted the doors open because it fits the motif of the game: the balls are the doctors, and of course they exit the Tardis that way. It was a pain to cut them to open, but IMO the effort was worth it. It does not photograph well and the flash is harsh against the cut edges, but when you stand over the game and pan and tilt you can see and appreciate the details better.

The interior is a photo I found online and scaled to size; it's one piece curved around the back wall and tucked behind the open doors. This is still a "test fitting". For the final version, I'll either use glossy photo paper or an acetate laminate overlay. I might also extend the photo further down into the hole.

Box1.jpgBox1.jpg

Box2.jpgBox2.jpg

Box3.jpgBox3.jpg

#675 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

How much of a cost deduction would you guys place on faded reds on the cabinet? In a lot of locations you can't even really see the side of a pin. Just curios, mine's not for sale.

No deduction. DW is a rare game that fade won't drop the price much, if at all. However a nice unfaded cab could demand a premium.

#676 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

DW is a rare game that fade won't drop the price much, if at all

Agreed!

Original text based on misreading: Why do you say this? I love my DW but I wouldn't call it rare...

#677 8 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I love my DW but I wouldn't call it rare...

Same here...says 7000+ were made...though you don't find them that often.

#678 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Same here...says 7000+ were made...though you don't find them that often.

When you don't find something often I guess that means rare. Although for DW rare might be a bit extreme, but they don't seem to turn often.

#679 8 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Why do you say this? I love my DW but I wouldn't call it rare...

Maybe if you selected my whole quote.....

It is a rare game in that fade won't really drop,the price much.

#680 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Sorry, dsuperbee, you are right. I didn't catch the miss quote. Yes reds do fade easy.

#681 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Sorry. I read your text as the two portions were independent. I read it as (1) it's rare and (2) fade doesn't impact it much.

I'll edit my post.

#682 8 years ago

Nice unfaded examples are also make the game particularly attractive to Dr Who fans who also want the game to serve as a showpiece in their homes. I put new decals over the old ones on my DW and it came out brilliantly and wasn't a whole lot of work. Then a diehard DW fan gave me an offer I couldn't refuse!

#683 8 years ago

I worked as a bartender and after closing we would go to an after hours club and drink until 6am. We would then head to the diner down the street to sober up over breakfast and coffee. They had a DW behind the hostess and I would take my breakfast at the game and play until sobriety kicked in. Mine will never be for sale.

#684 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Yep, but we have an agreement in place that he gets dibs to buy it back if I sell it.

He is rocking my Addams Family now.

#685 8 years ago

I'm officially in the club! Needs a little work, though. Anyone have some sling plastics? Any new plastics will be protected with the Pinbits guards, I promise!

1 week later
#686 8 years ago

Hey guys I am looking for some advice. I have some insert wear starting around the red inserts in front of the time expander. I don't want it to get any worse as it's wearing the edge of the playfield there. What would you suggest? Mylar the area? Clear coat is not presently a option.

IMG_0929-2.jpgIMG_0929-2.jpg

#687 8 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

Hey guys I am looking for some advice. I have some insert wear starting around the red inserts in front of the time expander. I don't want it to get any worse as it's wearing the edge of the playfield there. What would you suggest? Mylar the area? Clear coat is not presently a option.

My Dr. Who has this issue. I'm currently touching up the black around the inserts and I'm gonna try one of these Makrolon protector sheets from Bay Area Amusements to cover the touch-ups and protect that area. I'll see how that goes shortly.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-DW-PF-PROTECTOR

#688 8 years ago

I have one of the playfield protectors for my F-14. But, I was hope to not have to go that route. Hmm has anyone else had to mylar that area?

#689 8 years ago

My DW has the issue as well. Eventually I was planning on leveling the inserts, doing touch up, and a spot clear. However if that is not what you want to do touch up and mylar would be OK.

#690 8 years ago

I'm planning to do some work on the time expander inserts myself using 2PAC (jc660). I keep getting interrupted by other tasks but will certainly post here with results...

#691 8 years ago

Hmm in the meantime I might just mylar the sucker in the to prevent any further damage.

#692 8 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

My Dr. Who has this issue. I'm currently touching up the black around the inserts and I'm gonna try one of these Makrolon protector sheets from Bay Area Amusements to cover the touch-ups and protect that area. I'll see how that goes shortly.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-DW-PF-PROTECTOR

They have been out of stock on that one forever. Do you know when it's coming In?

#693 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

They have been out of stock on that one forever. Do you know when it's coming In?

I actually got mine about 4 weeks ago, and it's just been stored flat waiting for installation. I've been too busy with other things to finish the playfield touch-ups. I didn't notice the protector was out of stock when I posted the link. I must've got one of the last ones.

On a related note, I mentioned to Mirco that I would love to be able to buy a new repro Dr. Who playfield someday. Mirco said he didn't think repros would ever be ran, as Dr. Who is the most parted out machine in Europe, and spare parts including playfields always seem to be floating around, and it was doubtful that enough pinheads would want new Dr. Who playfields to make it worthwhile. That's a bummer, as I see a lot of Dr. Who playfields roached out around these Time Expander inserts.

#694 8 years ago

Interesting tid bit about parting Dr Who in Europe.

Less DW as more people realize it's awesome means higher price...

(Which doesn't help if you have one and don't plan to sell)

#695 8 years ago

Three's a crowd
don't think any amount of nudging was going to split up these

image.jpgimage.jpg

#696 8 years ago

I am working on a whomobile mod to replace those oddly shaped switch covers

head to this thread to follow progress as well as show interest in ordering.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-whomobile-mod

the original cover
625x465_2872058_7684906_1429738624.jpg625x465_2872058_7684906_1429738624.jpg

the design not finished but almost ready for a test fit.
Whomobile 3.pngWhomobile 3.pngWhomobile 2.pngWhomobile 2.pngWhomobile 1.pngWhomobile 1.png

#697 8 years ago

^awesome. Would be in for those!

#698 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

^awesome. Would be in for those!

Indeed, very nice!!

#699 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I know, I know. I can't believe I did that either.

Jodester is awesome at dialing in games and mine needed a couple tweaks with the time expander. I'll get it back from him one day I'm sure, he tends to swap out games ever six months or so and I'm saving a spot for the triumphant return of Doctor Who.

#700 8 years ago

Just saw the "COW" transmat whoops. Never heard that mentioned before.

I'm so proud - getting my first mini-playfiled errors now - really feel like I'm in the club. Seems like there is some "slippage" in the motor. Get errors for both CW and CCW directions, with the playfield coming up, and suddenly dropping a bit. Fine when testing with the main playfield up as there is no gravity to drop is down a bit. Feels like there is some play when I manually pull on the mini-playfield lower "bar". I have a Frankenstein replacement motor, so can't even get the miniplayfield out to tighten things up. Any suggestions?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
£ 110.00
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.