(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 132.
#451 9 years ago

Does anyone have scans or cleaned up art for the decals around the mini playfield? I'm missing the stickers on one side and need to replace them.

EDIT: Found them in this link => https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-decals

2 weeks later
#452 9 years ago

Quick question for the other owners, have you seen the "say no to drugs" with the spinning Tardis? The Doctor Who pin at the local pub shows this on the led after the high scores but I don't see it on mine? Know of a setting?

#453 9 years ago

The say no to drugs is a factory setting on many pins. Perhaps you turned on the setting for a custom message?

#454 9 years ago

If you let it sit it'll go to the "say No To Drugs" as part of its cycle. I thought it was funny when I first saw it because I grew up with D.A.R.E.

1 week later
#455 9 years ago

If anyone is looking to join the club. I'm thinning the herd and have mine up for sale.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-doctor-who-ne-ohio

#456 9 years ago

I'm in.

And this should be the last of the pinballs for a while. I now need a tardis to fit them in my dining room.

#457 9 years ago

Welcome E D, somehow we all make room for 'just one more' I have my 3 plus babysitting 2 in my lounge/dining room.

#458 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

If anyone is looking to join the club. I'm thinning the herd and have mine up for sale.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-doctor-who-ne-ohio

Looks like he has to give up his seat in the club (it's sold).

Did I mention that I paid $400 for mine in 1996? It's had a few upgrades since then (like a different lower cabinet), but it's been with me all these years.

#459 9 years ago

Can someone review the Dr Who color dmd?
I saw it and didn't really get to see much of the animations.
Think it'd help much on a game on route?

#460 9 years ago

I like it a lot. The color choices feel correct although one obvious miss is that the White Daleks are not white. I had another thread seeing if anyone has ever seen a "blue" Dalek, however not even a sniff.

The logo in attract is great
The animations during attack mode are the same you have always looked at but because of the color difference, the animations really pop! I can actually see the Daleks getting blown away out of the corner of my eye.
The video mode dots are really good because of the variety of Doctors and objects he jumps. The colors on the different doctors makes it easy to tell whos running, but Tom Baker's scarf is animated really really well.

Davros looks very cool

Its fun to see how the old dots were colorized.

The surprise for me was the inside of the Tardis during some animations. Its been a while since I've seen the old DW episodes and in the old days it was very light.... but it looks very clean.

As for the device itself. The pack/quality was very good. I give the instructions a Seven as I think there are holes in the step by step for the non-expert.

The fit/finish is perfect but I did do the light board mod (never even looked to see how bright it was without the mod...but it's ok...it was fun to do... and looks great).

All in all...

Is it worth $400... probably not
Will someone in the wings create something better soon ... probably
Will there be a price war to drive the price down ... probably

But I wanted this NOW. Merry Christmas to me... it's in, it's beautiful and it was a MUST have for me.

faz

#461 9 years ago

Faz,

I appreciate that you like how it was colored. I used footage from the shows as much as possible and also tried to work with the games colors. As for the White Daleks, Gold Daleks, etc, I really wanted to color them that way but the daleks are the same no matter the color until they become supreme daleks or davros. Unfortunately, the name of the current dalek and their entry isn't always available so tagging the game to work that way was impossible. Ive seen no blue daleks which seemed strange considering how much of the art shows Blue Daleks. Had i known how much work coloring this game would be im not sure i would have done it. Im glad i did but man were my problem solving skills tested. Im trying to finish up my next game but have been looking to do a few tweaks to improve this on my own time. While i know 400 is a big chunk, particularly for a game that isnt in the 4k plus range, i tink its an excellent upgrade when a dmd is going out, particularly because video mode cn be a big part of scoring in this game and i think the coloring makes playing video mode easier. I have to say that in order to capture all ose objects, a few of which are rarely shown i had to become really good at the mode. No memorization, just quick, as i had to get upwards of wave 50 to capture tings that most players will never see. That was fun.

I should add that if i found a way to do the different colored daleks i would and will.

#462 9 years ago

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and have been lurking for the last week or so but DW is my first (so far only) pinball and I do love it. I've been a fan since I was wee lad and Tom Baker has always been my fav. I've read through the tread and I had no idea there were so many mods for the old girl and I may have to start saving my pennies. I don't have any experience with fixing modding a pin but I'm willing to give most things a shot. Going to have to replace a weak flipper on it so nothing better than trial by fire right? I do love the different back graphics and would replace mine but I've had two of the doctors sign mine and going to go for another signature this summer.

#463 9 years ago

The work to do this must have been extremely tedious. I'm software engineer from the old ages. Mainframe assembler and CoBol (thank you Grace Hopper). I even did work on punch cards in College.

I'm glad you did it. Like I said, it was what I wanted and worth it for me.

As for the color of the Daleks, I was thinking the words across the bottom were the differentiation for the different color of the Daleks. No biggie really. As far as any Dalek for the series, I only saw gold ones. The multi-colored Daleks came during during David Tennant's reign. Perhaps when Stern or JJP do a DW 50th Anniversary pin... we'll see that

faz

#464 9 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and have been lurking for the last week or so but DW is my first (so far only) pinball and I do love it. I've been a fan since I was wee lad and Tom Baker has always been my fav. I've read through the tread and I had no idea there were so many mods for the old girl and I may have to start saving my pennies. I don't have any experience with fixing modding a pin but I'm willing to give most things a shot. Going to have to replace a weak flipper on it so nothing better than trial by fire right? I do love the different back graphics and would replace mine but I've had two of the doctors sign mine and going to go for another signature this summer.

For the weak flipper, you may not have to replace anything. I've had weak flippers resolved by just bending the switch leaf ever so gently to adjust the stroke slightly.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Weak_Flippers_-_What_to_check

Enjoy the new pin!

#465 9 years ago

Shimoda, I am so grateful that you did make the colour dmd for Doctor Who. I absolutely love it. Thank you.

#466 9 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

For the weak flipper, you may not have to replace anything. I've had weak flippers resolved by just bending the switch leaf ever so gently to adjust the stroke slightly.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Weak_Flippers_-_What_to_check
Enjoy the new pin!

Thank you and I'll try that before replacing. I've got a rebuild kit on the way and I'm sure it won't hurt to have the extra parts around. I'm finishing the basement this winter and then I'll be shopping for a new pin to throw down there with the DW. From what I've read I think I'll avoid going with a NIB and go for something a little older.

#467 9 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

Thank you and I'll try that before replacing. I've got a rebuild kit on the way and I'm sure it won't hurt to have the extra parts around. I'm finishing the basement this winter and then I'll be shopping for a new pin to throw down there with the DW. From what I've read I think I'll avoid going with a NIB and go for something a little older.

Take a look at early SS games from Bally or Stern or Williams (or Gottlieb). Lots of good stuff there.

#468 9 years ago

Got two projects done this weekend -
1) I had to pull the lamp board for the 5th Doctor bulb and reflow the solder. Let me just say it was balls to get out of the machine. Ended up tilting the playfield partially and undoing the two screws that attach it to the back of the playfield with a thumb screwdriver. Glad to have it back working though!

2) Replaced the ramp protectors with the ones from www.Gamestencils.com - they look great! I was shocked at how yellowed the originals were!

#469 9 years ago

One thing I've had problems with since I got my Doctor Who is the ball getting hung up on the protector on the top front of the mini playfield, usually when it's got slow momentum. I thought the tape underneath it was dried up, and finally after it hanging a few times tonight in games, I got fed up and I thought I'd take a closer look tonight.

Tearing into it, I was shocked to discover a previous owner thought super glue would be a great way to fix the mini playfield!Glue crazy!Glue crazy! The glue was on so thick, it had spring up the protector.

Thankfully, I was able to get it off carefully with a knife and my fingernail. Unfortunately the protector was permanently sprung upwards, still leaving the problem.

Next, I took a set of flat sheet metal hand brakes and put a bit of a downward bend on the lip, which most assuredly solved the problem! Now no more hang ups! Slight downward bendSlight downward bend

#470 9 years ago

So after starting to take apart the flipper I noticed that the middle wire on the flipper coil stop broke off. Off to radio shack tomorrow to get my first soldering iron and start a crash youtube lesson on soldering. At least I have the spare parts if the flipper really breaks on me now.

#471 9 years ago

Have not popped for the ColorDMD for my Doctor Who quite yet (trying to crowbar it into the budget), but many thanks to shimoda for his efforts in getting this done.

One day soon...

#472 9 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

So after starting to take apart the flipper I noticed that the middle wire on the flipper coil stop broke off. Off to radio shack tomorrow to get my first soldering iron and start a crash youtube lesson on soldering. At least I have the spare parts if the flipper really breaks on me now.

Wow, the same wire split off my coil as well last weekend. I was playing and all of a sudden the right flipper got super weak. I opened the hood ready to rebuild the flipper and found the disconnected wire. I love it when repairs are that easy.

#473 9 years ago

So my darling wife gave me a ColorDMD for our anniversary a couple weeks ago.

My soldering skills being non-existent, I came up with a cheap hacky way to get the doctors to light without permanently altering (or in my case damaging) the board.

hack1.jpghack1.jpg

I simply striped some cheap comet flux LEDs and spliced in a longer wire.

hack2.jpghack2.jpg

The unexpected part was that the original plastic mounting brackets on the original board can be attached with the mounting screws from the game and dmd.

Cheesy and amateurish, but functional.

#474 9 years ago

Soldering isn't this big mystery. I would suggest you did what I did. I bought a solder kit that came with simple "projects" to give practice. With some practice you'll feel comfortable.

#475 9 years ago

I have a nice soldering iron and have no issue attaching wires and doing simple repairs. I just did not want to permanently alter and potentially damage the board. This was a quick way to do that .

#476 9 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

One thing I've had problems with since I got my Doctor Who is the ball getting hung up on the protector on the top front of the mini playfield, usually when it's got slow momentum. I thought the tape underneath it was dried up, and finally after it hanging a few times tonight in games, I got fed up and I thought I'd take a closer look tonight.
Tearing into it, I was shocked to discover a previous owner thought super glue would be a great way to fix the mini playfield!Glue crazy! The glue was on so thick, it had spring up the protector.
Thankfully, I was able to get it off carefully with a knife and my fingernail. Unfortunately the protector was permanently sprung upwards, still leaving the problem.
Next, I took a set of flat sheet metal hand brakes and put a bit of a downward bend on the lip, which most assuredly solved the problem! Now no more hang ups! :PS)Slight downward bend

image.jpg 260 KB

image-969.jpg 237 KB

I'm having this exact problem. What did you use exactly to fix the issue? You replaced the tape?

#477 9 years ago

Another issue I am having is my time expander is not level. It goes down too low. Any thoughts on a fix for this?

#478 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm having this exact problem. What did you use exactly to fix the issue? You replaced the tape?

Unfortunately, the area underneath was already buggered, and the tape long gone. I used a scaling knife to get the remaining glue off and the area as generally level as possible, then used a pair of hand brakes like these to give a slight bend down to minimize the lip. Hope that helps!

http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Bending-Folding-Straight-Seaming/dp/B0071CBOG4/ref=sr_1_9

#479 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I have a nice soldering iron and have no issue attaching wires and doing simple repairs. I just did not want to permanently alter and potentially damage the board. This was a quick way to do that .

As far as modding goes you really shouldn't worry about doing something to ruin the board and make it irreversible. Little solder is needed and it really would be easy to undo. I'd feel more concerned about loose wires and bits hanging out.

#480 9 years ago

Just curious, on what settings are you running your doctors?
Mine are:

- video mode not lit at game/ball start
- one extra ball at 500 million points, increased by 100 million next time
- remember Escape targets and value between balls
- Escape special gives extra ball instead of credit
- ball save time increased to 5 seconds
- everything else is factory default

#481 9 years ago

I have mine all to factory.

#482 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

So my darling wife gave me a ColorDMD for our anniversary a couple weeks ago.
My soldering skills being non-existent, I came up with a cheap hacky way to get the doctors to light without permanently altering (or in my case damaging) the board.

I think this was a good idea, but I really don't think the hack permanently damages the board. I know that I could easily reverse it. See Page 7 of this thread for my detailed implementation.

It is a pain to do though. I still haven't bought the ColorDMD yet though.

-Al-

#483 9 years ago

I actually did mine with off the shelf LEDs and resistors. Not as bright as the newer smds but works. I will probably get something brighter and replace but it didn't take but about 30-40 minutes and it is easily reversible.

#484 9 years ago

Damn this game is hard. I finally have mine at 100% working, and I've been playing it for a couple days. The best score I got was ~100 mil... until just now. I finally had a game where I got the playfield scoring up to 2.5x in time for the jackpots, and cleared the video mode. Suddenly I'm in 800 mil territory. Scores like that will def be few and far between though, you really have to nail your shots consistently and in great number to build up the score. But good enough, it's like that 1 sweet shot you have in golf, after hacking around the entire course. And that one shot will bring you back again and again.

I feel like this pin is going to get a little more love than the others this weekend.

#485 9 years ago

No shit. I just started practicing hitting loops to get the multiplier up to score higher on multiball. Trying to do that it's taking me longer to get the TE up. Plus I didn't realize the multiplier was on a timer. I know this sucks because good players get way more, but I'm trying to beat my HS of just under 250 mil.

#486 9 years ago

Just joined the club...

Next purchase: ColorDMD or alternative translite?

2.jpg2.jpg

2015_Gameroom.jpg2015_Gameroom.jpg
#487 9 years ago

Welcome aboard.

Get both. If you can find an alt translight... The translight is the worst thing about DW.

#488 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Just joined the club...
Next purchase: ColorDMD or alternative translite?

2.jpg 40 KB

2015_Gameroom.jpg 52 KB

You probably know my answer to that.

#489 9 years ago

Looking to join the club. I'd give up any one of my segas and throw in a shaq attac. Lmk thanks. Time lord out....

#490 9 years ago

Framed some flyers.

image-276.jpgimage-276.jpg
#491 9 years ago

Look whats over on shapeways.com

Dalek pinball posts!

http://www.shapeways.com/product/D5W8ULN5S/dalek-post-version-a-six-pack?li=user-profile&optionId=43304273

625x465_2920136_7790427_1417593717.jpg625x465_2920136_7790427_1417593717.jpg

625x465_2920136_7790425_1417593699.jpg625x465_2920136_7790425_1417593699.jpg
#492 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

Dalek pinball posts!
http://www.shapeways.com/product/D5W8ULN5S/dalek-post-version-a-six-pack?li=user-profile&optionId=43304273

625x465_2920136_7790427_14175937... 9 KB

625x465_2920136_7790425_14175936... 16 KB

Frakking cool! Might get some just because!

#494 9 years ago

I love it! But if I you want them ... get them before BBC finds them.

#495 9 years ago

Hey guys,

Just joined the world of pinball owners, and have bought myself a Doctor Who.

f92c2991-fd40-4d8e-b733-600c3277541c.jpgf92c2991-fd40-4d8e-b733-600c3277541c.jpg

The decals and cabinet need a touch of love and repair, but the playfield seems great and hasn't missed a trick. It was apparently serviced recently with new LEDs, etc.

I have ordered new decals, but no idea how to fix the thing up or fit them. I have a lot of learning to do, especially as I am not very capable in this area. I might ask for a bit of help around these forums, as it seems a good place to do so.

See you around and all the best.

#496 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

Dalek pinball posts!

625x465_2920136_7790427_14175937... 9 KB

625x465_2920136_7790425_14175936... 16 KB

So, looking at these, Metal or Plastic? I'm thinking plastic, but is there a possibility of the ball even striking these ever?

Also (since I am not near my machine to count), are the red posts all the same size on the DW machine, and how many would you need to convert? Hmmm tempting.

#497 9 years ago

There are not a ton that you would actually see.
IMG_8782.JPGIMG_8782.JPG

#498 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

There are not a ton that you would actually see.

IMG_8782.JPG 350 KB

Taylor's right. I looked at maybe having them under just the slings. You might have to point them out to people because I don't think they would stand out very well. But they are cool. I believe swinks here on pinside created them. they might stand out better if you lit them up from underneath.

Brian

#499 9 years ago

Custom painting them and spraying clear on them would be pretty sweet as well. I really need to make DW my next machine......

#500 9 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Taylor's right. I looked at maybe having them under just the slings. You might have to point them out to people because I don't think they would stand out very well. But they are cool. I believe swinks here on pinside created them. they might stand out better if you lit them up from underneath.
Brian

not my design but very cool detailed touch by a fellow pinsider.

I am working on a mod but still a little bit off before showing some details.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.