(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
DSCF2747 (resized).JPG
IMG_0498 (resized).JPG
Tardis99 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 1.31.59 pm (resized).png
il_1140xN.2008045654_bplp (resized).jpg
IMG_7156 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7155 (resized).jpeg
421735202_7550654594958757_8318301814228353514_n (resized).jpg
421727425_7550654341625449_209651123817121918_n (resized).jpg
421731484_7550654938292056_4147915032710083979_n (resized).jpg
421723578_7550654091625474_5367988788185483827_n (resized).jpg
20240117_191816 (resized).jpg
20240117_192616 (resized).jpg
20240114_134655 (resized).jpg
20240105_183644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Link to @pinball_faz 's Time Expander/Mini Playfield Guide Posted by pinball_faz (9 years ago)

Post #491 Link for 3-D Printed Dalek Playfield Posts. Posted by Pinballfantexas (9 years ago)

Post #696 Link to Alternative Whomobile Pinside Thread. Posted by swinks (8 years ago)

Post #1428 ColorDMD install with pics plus other cool things. Posted by ArcadeTechNerd (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 6,488 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 130.
#1 10 years ago

EXTERMINATE!!!!

Come step inside the Tardis.....to discuss anything & everything related to one of the most underrated pinballs & greatest Sci-Fi shows of all-time. Enjoy!!

doctor-who-11-faces-of-doctor-who-bbc-636-370.jpgdoctor-who-11-faces-of-doctor-who-bbc-636-370.jpg

#2 10 years ago

I'm in! Rescued a pretty beaten Doctor, and am happy to be a member of this club. For fun, who is YOUR Doctor? Mine is Tom Baker, followed closely by Tennant and Smith.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

Mine is Tom Baker, followed closely by Tennant

This.

I"m in

#5 10 years ago

My favorite callout...
DalekintheCornerPocket.jpgDalekintheCornerPocket.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Davros! That's cool! My wife bought me a K-9 to put on mine.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

For fun, who is YOUR Doctor? Mine is Tom Baker

Who's your favorite companion?
Need this mod somehow...
Amelia-pond.jpgAmelia-pond.jpg

#8 10 years ago

I am a member, the game itself is one I really should not like - almost too simple and not too many shots. But it's fun and the theme and music really enhance the game play.

Been a Dr. Who fan since 1980 - I was only 10 watching Tom Baker on PBS in Milwaukee. My favorite Doctor is Paul McGann. His mannerisms, nuances, and style are exactly how I see the Doctor. He's a bit zanny, but also can focus and is more...."mature" than the last few incarnations. Paul's Doctor also can admit his mistakes where the new Who treats the charcter like a god. What fun is that?

His audio work with Big Finish is incredible and NIGHT OF THE DOCTOR was simply brilliant.

After Paul - my personal favorites are...

Pat
Tom
Jon
Colin
Chris

and then from there.

If only the game featured Paul and the Movie rather than Sly...

#9 10 years ago

Been watching the show since the late 70s.

DW is my first and favorite pin...I just wish it shared the love and gave me a decent score every once in while

I just entered the "Test 15" club last month. I love the way the topper surprises everyone that plays the game.

faz

#10 10 years ago

Member and torn but I really like Eccleston, just something different there.

#11 10 years ago

I bought my Doctor Who in 1997 for $450.00. After about three years of owning it, I found an unfaded cabinet and did a cabinet swap on it. I asked a friend to make my Dalek wobble and he gave me the mod for my birthday (then we sold them as the original "Wobble-Head Kit"). Last year, Pinball Inc. used my game to make new ramps for Doctor Who and I did a nice shop job and put the new ramps on. I also put an alternate translite on it. It's been a great machine over the years and I always enjoy playing it!

As for Doctor Who, My girlfriend and I had our first "Away Date" at a Doctor Who convention in Chicago in 1983 (we lived in NJ). We've enjoyed the show for years and I wore a 20 ft. scarf to our wedding reception. Weird, right?

#12 10 years ago

Please include me,bought my Doctor mid 2012. This is my favourite companion.............. from my time when I started watching the series. I always wanted to be her 069.JPG069.JPG

#13 10 years ago

I'm in. I've had this game for 22 years now as I mentioned in a thread earlier today . . . will never leave the collection.

Third Doctor.gifThird Doctor.gif

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

His audio work with Big Finish is incredible and NIGHT OF THE DOCTOR was simply brilliant.

I was really impressed with the Big Finish portrail of Doctor 6. I wish Colin would have had another season to peal back the layers of his Doctor . . . and been given a better jacket. Big Finish did a great job with a lot of Doctor Who.

My list, which changes all the time (and I don't include John Hurt), as of today is:

11, 5, 2, 6, 10, 4, 9, 1, 3, 7, 8

#15 10 years ago

I just bought my DW on New Years day. It is immaculate like it was never used and the whole family loves to play it.
If you haven't ever seen an episode of "Super Cafe" on You Tube, you have to see this one.

"Before the Doctor has his day, he has to stop by the Super Cafe".

Also, Matt and David are the ones adored by my three ladies. I'm working on matching cartoonish stickers with Mylar covering of these two and their companions that can be added to the playfield in what will look like an OEM manner. I'll post some Mock-ups in the coming weeks if anyone is interested.

#16 10 years ago

Bought mine last year and am in the middle of a restoration on it.

Don't know anything about the show.

#17 10 years ago

I'm in.

EXTERMINATE!

Here's a must read for owners of the pin: Unofficial Doctor Who Pinball History http://home.comcast.net/~pfutz/UnofficialDoctorWhoPinballHistory/index.html

#18 10 years ago

Restoring my second one now. The first one was a salvage machine that was ready for the junk pile that I brought back to life. Shortly after finishing I found a better one that needed restoring. Almost finished and loving it.

Tom Baker was my favorite, since he was who I grew up with.

20131231_105732.jpg20131231_105732.jpg 20131231_095453.jpg20131231_095453.jpg
#19 10 years ago

Capaldi.jpgCapaldi.jpg

Time travel??

#20 10 years ago

Here is mine. I rebuilt this one from two broken down ones.

P1040078.JPGP1040078.JPG

P1040065.JPGP1040065.JPG

P1040070.JPGP1040070.JPG

#21 10 years ago

And whatever you do - Don't blink!

#22 10 years ago

Doctor Who was my first pin! Back when I collected vids I thought I should have a least one pin in my collection. I remember playing a Doctor Who in a West London pub in the early 90's and thought that would be perfect for my collection. Well after 3 months of owing DW I sold all my vids to make room for more pins. The rest, as they say, is history.

#23 10 years ago

just reworking mine now. Its my 2nd one, sold the first when i moved from the uk to the usa. playfields in great shape, audio board blew last week while testing a lcd screen mod

will be printing and applying new graphics once its done. although tempted to come up with some new series dr who graphics and translight for it and transfer the table over to a new cabinet. will see. Robocop rework may come first.

#24 10 years ago

Sweet club,
Im in!
One of my favorite Bally Williams games!
Scored a HUO from Fattrain a few years ago…actually how we met.

About a year ago I traded it towards a GNR and I'm proud to say I bought the same Doctor Who back a few weeks ago after markmon did some badass light mods for it.

I would like to find a couple of better looking ships to replace the plastic ones on the ramps if anyone knows of any floating around please help a brother out!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

My favorite callout...

DalekintheCornerPocket.jpg 53 KB

Mine too

#26 10 years ago

I have mine and love it. I could use some cabinet decals for it someday as my cabinet is pretty beat up. I did a playfield swap on mine some number of years ago and it still looks brand new. I also threw away those shitty lightning flippers and put the full-sized yellow flippers on it that the game was actually designed with. The game drained plenty fast with those giant outlanes that it never needed lightning flippers to keep ball times low.

My best on factory settings is about 5.5 Billion and I believe I had 256 loops as my loop champion from that game before the batteries died and I lost all my scores. When I play the game a lot and get warmed up I am usually good for 1-2 billion a game when I'm doing well. I mostly shoot loops/sonic booms all day long and occasionally get multiball and video modes mostly as a byproduct of missing shots or flailing.

#27 10 years ago

I'm in the middle of doing a complete LED upgrade on mine at the moment. I'll have to post some pics after I get them all swapped out. Not looking forward to swapping out some of those bulbs deep inside the Time Expander though. Also having a tough time swapping out the 5th Doctor playfield blub, since I have to reach to a spot on the very back of the playfield & I can't see what I'm doing. I get get it to twist, but it it won't pop off

Also I'm curious what mods other owners have done. I've heard an alternate backglass is out there somewhere, but I've never seen a picture of it. Also I'd love to eventually install a moving Dalek topper, but I know there are a couple different kits out there & wonder which one is the best, etc...

#28 10 years ago

I'm in. I have had my machine for a little over a year and I love it. It is also my Wife's second favorite. I have the Wobble Head kit and have just not finished installing it.

#29 10 years ago

I'd love to see a new DW 2.0 like they did for BOP

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I've heard an alternate backglass is out there somewhere, but I've never seen a picture of it.

translite_dr-who_pinball_bally_01.jpgtranslite_dr-who_pinball_bally_01.jpg

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Also I'd love to eventually install a moving Dalek topper, but I know there are a couple different kits out there & wonder which one is the best, etc...

The best one in my opinion is the Wobble Head kit sold by Basement Arcade. Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive and hardest to get. He recently did a batch, so it will probably be a while before he does another run.

http://www.basementarcade.com/

#31 10 years ago

Being that its based off classic Who I would only stick with what was on the show at that time. I did buy a little K-9 to add to the right outside ramp.

user38903_pic6148_1334090195.jpguser38903_pic6148_1334090195.jpg
#32 10 years ago

Almost forgot to mention the Cliffy protectors for the Time Expander. A must for this pin IMO as the I've never seen a Doctor Who pin without ball damage in that area.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from daley:

The best one in my opinion is the Wobble Head kit sold by Basement Arcade. Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive and hardest to get. He recently did a batch, so it will probably be a while before he does another run.
http://www.basementarcade.com/

Anyone have any luck with the wobble head kit from DIYpinball.com? It looks much simpler from the Basement Arcade version & doesn't look too difficult to install. Price isn't too bad either

http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorizing-the-Doctor-Who-Pinball-Dalek/

#34 10 years ago

The biggest difference between the two is the the Basement Arcade version is made to replicate the original prototypes and is wired into the game accordingly. So, it activates according to the coding that is already present in the software.

The other one, is just a servo motor hooked up to the flasher bulb, so that the head moves when the flasher is activated. The result is the head moves essentially whenever the Dalek is talking, since that is when the flasher goes off, so you get close to the same effect.

#35 10 years ago

Bought mine a couple months ago, put in cliffy's on Time Expander, LED's and the translite. Great pin.

DSC00557.JPGDSC00557.JPG DSC00555.JPGDSC00555.JPG DSC00556.JPGDSC00556.JPG DSC00554.JPGDSC00554.JPG
#36 10 years ago

I wanted a pin for years and when I found out a DW version existed I was sold. I've only had it for a few months and it's not mint, but it works.

I swapped out the tardis with the USB hub version that is the same size but looks much better. http://bit.ly/1aa2rD2

I've got a key chain sized K9 on the Time Expander, replaced the legs, and I've swapped in a bunch of gaudy LEDs that make it pop.

Where are you guys getting that new translite? The art on this pin is not great and I like that other one.

BTW: Tom Baker is the Doctor. The other guys are just acting.

pinball.jpgpinball.jpg
#37 10 years ago

Sweet wall, just reminded me mine is missing the Dalek topper, will need to locate one.

Also love that alternative translite too.

#38 10 years ago

Add me to the list of course! I was always fascinated by the mechanical engineering behind the Time Expander! Had to have a Doctor Who machine! http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-pinball-mods-super-dalek

#39 10 years ago

I have had mine for 1 month. Bought it in great shape with the exception of the missing topper. Hopefully one day I can track one down. The stock trans light does nothing for me. I would like an alternate at some point.

#40 10 years ago

I would love to get a topper for mine, thought about looking for a toy version Dalek and modifying it, if I find something I will post it here. Exterminate.........................

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'm in the middle of doing a complete LED upgrade on mine at the moment. I'll have to post some pics after I get them all swapped out. Not looking forward to swapping out some of those bulbs deep inside the Time Expander though. Also having a tough time swapping out the 5th Doctor playfield blub, since I have to reach to a spot on the very back of the playfield & I can't see what I'm doing. I get get it to twist, but it it won't pop off
Also I'm curious what mods other owners have done. I've heard an alternate backglass is out there somewhere, but I've never seen a picture of it. Also I'd love to eventually install a moving Dalek topper, but I know there are a couple different kits out there & wonder which one is the best, etc...

The only part of the pin I am dissapointed with is the art - the backglass art is horrendous - and the pf art isn't much better. Pertwee looks like he's 70 and overweight.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

The first one was a salvage machine that was ready for the junk pile that I brought back to life. Shortly after finishing I found a better one that needed restoring.

My first pin was the "salvage machine" mentioned above. BBAKER2824 made me a killer deal on it, got me into pinball. I have the alternate translite and a wobblehead kit ready to go in, if I ever get home to work on it.

#43 10 years ago

If anyone knows where I could get a clear lense topper for mine, I would love one. Gotta love DW. Great game!!

#44 10 years ago

I'm in. This is my personal favorite in my collection.
I've been a fan since I was a child watching Tom Baker on PBS here in MA.
I'd love to put new art on mine someday. I can't wit to install my Basement Arcade Wobblehed kit!

My fav Doctors at]re Baker & Tennant.

#45 10 years ago

Have any of you tried upgraded speakers or an external sub on this pin? I'm not really sure if it would add much, but I like to tinker.

#46 10 years ago

I always liked William Hartnell as a kid.

Abducted by the Daleks.jpgAbducted by the Daleks.jpg
#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Have any of you tried upgraded speakers or an external sub on this pin? I'm not really sure if it would add much, but I like to tinker.

I have a Polk PSW10 on my machine, you can really feel the sonic booms. It is an easy, non-intrusive hookup. It really is a good addition for $70. (You can run two pins on a PSW10, the Doctor shares the amp with "The Shadow".

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I always liked William Hartnell as a kid.

SEX-TER-MIN-ATE!
SEX-TER-MIN-ATE!

Abducted by the Daleks.jpgAbducted by the Daleks.jpg
#49 10 years ago

I have had mine for years. One of my all time favorite machines. Almost perfect cab.

#50 10 years ago

Picked up a non-working re-import DW about a year ago for a grand. Been slowly working on getting it cleaned up and working. Almost there. Just have to re-pin some connectors, install the flippers, and drop in the mini-pf. Just have to wait til Feb due to no heavy lifting.

Hoping to find a nice NOS translite for it. I thought Gene had repro'd him, but have been unable to get any response from IPB about one. Personally not a fan of the alternate, as the graphics do not line up with the lighting behind it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
There are 6,488 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 130.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.