(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 132.
#5651 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

That looks great! Can you share where the custom translite is from? I can have a custom one made for around $60 with any image, but I really like your alternate!

That one is super common. I've seen it all over the place. My favorite alternate tranalite.

Just type in doctor who translite alternate, you'll stumble upon it super quick.

#5652 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

That looks great! Can you share where the custom translite is from? I can have a custom one made for around $60 with any image, but I really like your alternate!

Thanks! The alternate translite was purchased on eBay. I think there are a few different designs available but I liked this one the best.

#5653 1 year ago

I read that the first 100 DW pins featured a rotating topper, but was quickly scrapped due to costs (per Wiki). How can you tell if the moving topper is original vs aftermarket? Here is mine…

EC2118B9-B27E-4F76-9686-959F0C11B010 (resized).pngEC2118B9-B27E-4F76-9686-959F0C11B010 (resized).png
#5654 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I read that the first 100 DW pins featured a rotating topper, but was quickly scrapped due to costs (per Wiki). How can you tell if the moving topper is original vs aftermarket? Here is mine…
[quoted image]

A few have made kits over the years, but even before opening up I would take a look at your serial number to see when your machine came off the line.

#5655 1 year ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

I just finished up a restoration of a Doctor Who. I powder coated the rails, legs, lockbar and hinge brackets black, repainted the cabinet/head black and applied new decals. The translight was damaged so I went with an alternative one. The topper was missing so I made a custom one from a toy. [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! Can I ask what make/brand you used to repaint the body? Cheers.

#5656 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Looks great! Can I ask what make/brand you used to repaint the body? Cheers.

Thanks. The black paint was just a rattle can of Rustoleum; semi-gloss. The decals are from classicarcades on eBay. The decals turned out fine. Possibly the only thing I wish were different involved the two decals that go on the sides of the head. They don't go all the way to the edges; kinda wish they did but really not a problem. The black paint is there anyway. I sanded down the head sides, fixed some damaged wood and repainted black. The decals cover a lot of the black so it didn't matter too much. As for the cabinet, I lightly sanded the old artwork but did not sand it all off. I just got it smooth, painted corners and the back, then put the decals on. It went fine and saved a lot of work overly sanding and prepping the cabinet.

CC306369-6D11-442E-986D-B1C46EA09EE7 (resized).jpegCC306369-6D11-442E-986D-B1C46EA09EE7 (resized).jpeg
#5657 1 year ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

I lightly sanded the old artwork but did not sand it all off. I just got it smooth, painted corners and the back, then put the decals on

I’m doing mine the same way. I filled some nicks and sanded the cab. Gonna paint black and apply new decals. I believe I bought the same set you did. I replaced any cracked plastics and the yellowed plastic airball guards with clear. Steve at Pinball Refinery is doing the powder on mine. It’s a bold 2-step color with clear, but should turn awesome! New coin door, and maybe some lit flipper buttons. Should be nice!

#5658 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I’m doing mine the same way. I filled some nicks and sanded the cab. Gonna paint black and apply new decals. I believe I bought the same set you did. I replaced any cracked plastics and the yellowed plastic airball guards with clear. Steve at Pinball Refinery is doing the powder on mine. It’s a bold 2-step color with clear, but should turn awesome! New coin door, and maybe some lit flipper buttons. Should be nice!

Interested to see the powder coat legs and coindoor. I have the lit flipper buttons (blue pf course). I painted my coindoor blue as well.

CoinDoor98 (resized).JPGCoinDoor98 (resized).JPG
#5659 1 year ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Interested to see the powder coat legs and coindoor. I have the lit flipper buttons (blue pf course). I painted my coindoor blue as well.
[quoted image]

Clever coin door!

#5660 1 year ago

Ok guys… im getting some weird movements on my time expander during game play. Then I started to get a “no CCW movement” error upon boot up with the usual credit for.

I took a video for reference. If you listen closely, you can hear the mini PF struggle to go “up”. Eventually it works itself out and finds the home position, but something is definitely off here. I looked through the thread and before I start tearing the MPF out and deep diving into solutions, does anyone have any ideas for a quick fix here? Dealt with this issue before?

Video link:

E2AA5BFF-78E2-466B-8A30-1AE58CCFF306 (resized).jpegE2AA5BFF-78E2-466B-8A30-1AE58CCFF306 (resized).jpeg
#5661 1 year ago

Hearing the motor spin 3/4 of way through vid and not seeing the MPF move, seems to me to be a stripped gear box or the allen keys that hold the cam onto the motor are loose. Either way, it means pulling the MPF out. I am thinking that the big gear is missing teeth, and when the motor gear finally gets to good teeth, the MPF goes up or down. The only way to see that is to drill out the 4 corner rivets to open the gear box. I have seen it done on various posts here going back a few years. Mine jammed up with a ball getting stuck when the MPF was coming down. I will look for a blown gear box picture for reference. The good news, is that Marcos still sells Motor/gear box assemblies.

Motor Gear Box3 (resized).JPGMotor Gear Box3 (resized).JPG
#5662 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Where can you get the custom one made? I also have this translite but it always could be improved

#5663 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Ok guys… im getting some weird movements on my time expander during game play. Then I started to get a “no CCW movement” error upon boot up with the usual credit for.
I took a video for reference. If you listen closely, you can hear the mini PF struggle to go “up”. Eventually it works itself out and finds the home position, but something is definitely off here. I looked through the thread and before I start tearing the MPF out and deep diving into solutions, does anyone have any ideas for a quick fix here? Dealt with this issue before?
Video link: [quoted image]

Time to download Faz's guide and take a look at what is going on. Lot of slop movement going with that MPF. I agree with @tophervette, many times the gearbox can be an issue, gears are worn, obolonged due to the torque and lack of routine mainteneance and bad design. Ya just have to break it down and show us what you are working with. We are here to help.

#5664 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Where can you get the custom one made? I also have this translite but it always could be improved

If you have artwork there are places online that can print them made specifically for backlighting. I used printmoz.com to get a custom one made for my Genesis. Very happy with the quality of it.

#5665 1 year ago

Cool thanks eyeamred2u and Tophervette for the feedback on the time expander. I’ll download the guide and dive into it. Will post pics and progress along the way.

#5666 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Cool thanks eyeamred2u and Tophervette for the feedback on the time expander. I’ll download the guide and dive into it. Will post pics and progress along the way.

Get a new gearbox and motor while you can...

#5667 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Get a new gearbox and motor while you can...

Yup, picked up one of these from Marco:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7970

Anything else recommended to replace while I have the MPF out?

#5668 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Not knowing the originality of your MPF and related working parts, there are a few recommendations that a several here have shared with me over time.

There is a shapeways Opto holder that isolated the Optos lights and fixes the original warped leaky light one.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded?optionId=127913620&li=marketplace

There is the long waitlist (6+ months) for the improved Ulf smooth Lifter system. There is a post for it here on pinside and in the older threads here. Pictures included.

DSCF2646 (resized).JPGDSCF2646 (resized).JPGDSCF2652 (resized).JPGDSCF2652 (resized).JPGOpto Carrier2 (resized).jpgOpto Carrier2 (resized).jpg
#5669 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

get this in black :

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded

Get it in the black versitile for a few dollars more.

Get new opto boards from pinsider DumbAss they are amazing!

You will see people rave about pindorabox.com opto boards but they are sold out for months now.

read my post on it.

I recognize my beautiful hand in the picture! You are welcome to it, royalty free lol!

#5670 1 year ago

get this in black :
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLTKWJTQW/doctor-who-mushroom-target-channel-upgraded
Get it in the black versitile for a few dollars more.
Get new opto boards from pinsider DumbAss they are amazing!
You will see people rave about pindorabox.com opto boards but they are sold out for months now.
read my post on it.
I recognize my beautiful hand in the picture! You are welcome to it, royalty free lol!

Thank you both. Parts have been ordered and I requested to get on the waitlist for the upgraded Ulf lifter kit. Once I get started I’ll post my progress here in hopes to help others as well.

#5671 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Here’s a video I threw together as an overview of some of the resto/mods I did for the game. There’s tons of LED flicker in the video of the playfield lights but it’s not near as bad in person. I wanted to add a LEDOCD board to the playfield lights but they’ve been out of stock for a long time, and it’s not really all that bad in person. Anyway, just wanted to share…

#5672 1 year ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

Here’s a video I threw together as an overview of some of the resto/mods I did for the game. There’s tons of LED flicker in the video of the playfield lights but it’s not near as bad in person. I wanted to add a LEDOCD board to the playfield lights but they’ve been out of stock for a long time, and it’s not really all that bad in person. Anyway, just wanted to share…

On this game, LEDOCD and GIOCD are a must in my opinion.

#5673 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Video link: [quoted image]

Sounds like the gears are grinding for sure.

Yep, need a new motor. They must be getting harder and harder to find?

#5674 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Sounds like the gears are grinding for sure.
Yep, need a new motor. They must be getting harder and harder to find?

No, they’re actually still pretty easy to find! Marco pinball has them for $140 and a seller on eBay has them for $100.

#5675 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

No, they’re actually still pretty easy to find! Marco pinball has them for $140 and a seller on eBay has them for $100.

That's terrific news to hear.

#5676 1 year ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

Great looking Resto-mod! Was really interested in how you changed the back box lighting, as I have the same translight. Thanks for sharing.

#5677 1 year ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Great looking Resto-mod! Was really interested in how you changed the back box lighting, as I have the same translight. Thanks for sharing.

I ran all 2smd frosted sunlights and couldnt be happier!

But I have LEDOCD and GIOCD running, its really nice.

#5678 1 year ago

On this game, LEDOCD and GIOCD are a must in my opinion.

Who should I buy them from?
thanks

#5679 1 year ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

thanks

Comet appears to be the official seller now:

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards

not sure if herg is still involved, but he provides excellent support

#5680 1 year ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

thanks

I went 100% led including the flashers and dmd display.

5 led flasher towers for the 906 bulbs.

8 led for 89 bulbs generally.

7 led double sided bumper caps.
Translucent pop bumper bodies from Zitt.

ColorDMD led version.

The game is fantastic.

Comet should have everything you need.

#5681 1 year ago

thank you both
ordered the motor and rollors from marco with there 4th of july discount
I already have the tx rebuild kit.
Any suggestion's as to the best replacement decals?

#5682 1 year ago

This is where I have gotten both sets of decals directly:

https://classic-arcades.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fdiner-cabinet-decals-next-gen&page=7&sortOption=ascend_by_name

Made using proprietary NEXT GEN printing process that produces a Raised textured print similar to Screen Printing. UV Cured inks
for great durability. Vinyl brand proprietary and spec'd direct from Williams.

He also sells them on Fleabay. $250. They went on well and I am pleased with them. The only gripe and because it is a direct copy. The front corners, the sunburst stripes do not all line up. I can get one of the 3 to line up but not all. Also the head decal is smaller than the side. So you have to have a nice painted 1 inch border all the way around and center the decal. I measured and put blue tape on edges to line it up top, bottom and sides.

BackBox3 (resized).JPGBackBox3 (resized).JPGDSCF2831 (resized).JPGDSCF2831 (resized).JPG
#5684 1 year ago

I guess it looks better than a faded cabinet. Those stripes being misaligned would drive me crazy.

#5685 1 year ago

Looks great!! I had the same minor gripes about the misalignment of the stripes in the corners and "margin" on the head sides, but still overall happy with how it turned out. Yours looks well done.

#5686 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Comet appears to be the official seller now:
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards
not sure if herg is still involved, but he provides excellent support

The last note I saw on LED OCD's website before he started selling only through Comet was that the next batch of LEDOCD boards wouldn't be available until November 2022. And I missed out after waiting on the last batch in June. Definitely a bummer, but had to move on since the game I worked on was for a customer and didn't want to wait that long (maybe we'll add one later). They are great boards.

#5687 1 year ago

A shoutout to Ron Kruzman, who is showing pictures of my Dr. Who NOS PF being perfected before the PF swap begins.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread/page/44#post-7014936.

275fc119f9da252e62fed954c55691c8add0798c (resized).jpg275fc119f9da252e62fed954c55691c8add0798c (resized).jpg
#5688 1 year ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

The last note I saw on LED OCD's website before he started selling only through Comet was that the next batch of LEDOCD boards wouldn't be available until November 2022. And I missed out after waiting on the last batch in June. Definitely a bummer, but had to move on since the game I worked on was for a customer and didn't want to wait that long (maybe we'll add one later). They are great boards.

Dang. Chip shortage strike again

#5689 1 year ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

Looks great!! I had the same minor gripes about the misalignment of the stripes in the corners and "margin" on the head sides, but still overall happy with how it turned out. Yours looks well done.

But aren’t the head decals consistent with the original artwork? The original artwork had a black border all around it too.

#5690 1 year ago
Quoted from Zanado:

But aren’t the head decals consistent with the original artwork? The original artwork had a black border all around it too.

Quoted from Zanado:

That is all correct according to my game.

#5691 1 year ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

This is where I have gotten both sets of decals directly:
https://classic-arcades.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fdiner-cabinet-decals-next-gen&page=7&sortOption=ascend_by_name
Made using proprietary NEXT GEN printing process that produces a Raised textured print similar to Screen Printing. UV Cured inks
for great durability. Vinyl brand proprietary and spec'd direct from Williams.
He also sells them on Fleabay. $250. They went on well and I am pleased with them. The only gripe and because it is a direct copy. The front corners, the sunburst stripes do not all line up. I can get one of the 3 to line up but not all. Also the head decal is smaller than the side. So you have to have a nice painted 1 inch border all the way around and center the decal. I measured and put blue tape on edges to line it up top, bottom and sides.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fantastic. I’m restoring my DW cab right now. I should have the head done today. I’ll share pics when it’s finished. Just finished sanding and painting. First full cab decal I’ve ever done. Going to try the wet method.

#5692 1 year ago

Finished the head today. I’m happy with the result, this being my first cab restoration with decals (I’ve done 4 pins with Radcals). My decals were the ones that were larger than the head, so they required the edge trim with a razor. Then I used a straight edge and cut them back about 1/8 from the edges. My angle was off on the first side, but the second one was pretty much right on. Cabinet will be finished on Monday.

784651AC-0612-4522-833A-CB6B74DB8386 (resized).jpeg784651AC-0612-4522-833A-CB6B74DB8386 (resized).jpeg578B7EE7-4D5D-4EB7-AE2E-E60C45E863E8 (resized).jpeg578B7EE7-4D5D-4EB7-AE2E-E60C45E863E8 (resized).jpeg0C69EB7C-830D-4CA6-8444-FD8FA794B6B2 (resized).jpeg0C69EB7C-830D-4CA6-8444-FD8FA794B6B2 (resized).jpeg967F4AFC-9F1E-4045-89B8-871E90AE6557 (resized).jpeg967F4AFC-9F1E-4045-89B8-871E90AE6557 (resized).jpeg
#5693 1 year ago

Front went well. Not perfect, but very nice. Sides should be done tomorrow. Ignore the ratty legs and rails, Steve at Pinball Refinery is powdering my armor.

DA0925BC-C8DE-4B0B-9596-8FCE4754D7A8 (resized).jpegDA0925BC-C8DE-4B0B-9596-8FCE4754D7A8 (resized).jpegDA154EAE-7016-4CFD-9F31-B8987117453D (resized).jpegDA154EAE-7016-4CFD-9F31-B8987117453D (resized).jpeg
#5694 1 year ago

cover all the white edges with an oil based sharpie paint marker:

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Oil-Based-Paint-Marker-Medium/dp/B00WL2NM0K/ref=asc_df_B00WL2NM0K/

Have some naptha on a rag near by in case you slip and need to quickly remove a mark.

#5695 1 year ago

cover all the white edges with an oil based sharpie paint marker:
amazon.com link »
Have some naptha on a rag near by in case you slip and need to quickly remove a mark.

And get a plastic straightedge to run the marker down (or green tape)

#5696 1 year ago

Interesting episode today that I feel like sharing. I have started converting over the connections to Coils to Molex Connectors on my primary Dr Who pinball that I play every day. I had already done that on the second machine that I am preparing for a playfield swap. In my hurry after soldering on the leads to the Molex connectors and then connecting them, I forgot to connect the Vertical Up Kick coil. I lowered the playfield to see if the game was still working after my morning of hard work. The machine fired up and sound check went fine. I started a game. The ball ejected into the shooter lane. But when I hit launch button. Nothing happened. I had not changed over the shooter coil yet to a Molex connection, so was puzzled what I had done wrong.

Well, apparently the shooter coil gets its power from a daisy chain connection with the VUK. Once I raised the PF, I saw that I had not made the VUK connection. Once it was made, that game played beautiful. While the glass was off, I chose to clean the PF and the balls. They get so black dust dirty very quickly. I should put a layer of wax on it while I have the VOODOO glass off.

DSCF3087 (resized).JPGDSCF3087 (resized).JPG
#5697 1 year ago

Dazzling sunburst orange powder by Pinball Refinery should arrive next week…new cab decals will also be finished. Then I’ll decide if this beauty is a keeper or must be set free to a die-hard DW fan! I just wish I could keep them all.

AA812716-9E67-4C1A-9BDF-FACC56451B36 (resized).jpegAA812716-9E67-4C1A-9BDF-FACC56451B36 (resized).jpeg4EF2CF3A-5001-41DF-916D-B55331E1CC67 (resized).jpeg4EF2CF3A-5001-41DF-916D-B55331E1CC67 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#5698 1 year ago

I'm not an owner, but I'm a lurker (I LOVE the game and the show).

I met an acquaintance through the arcade I work at, and she has a Doctor Who. Currently it won't put a ball in the trough.

Besides checking the switch/solenoid, is there anything that stands out to you guys that I should check?

Thanks!

#5699 1 year ago

Check it in solenoid test and look for a wire that has fallen off the coil.
See if the auto launcher moves freely, or hasnt fallen apart..

If nothing stands out, check the fuses.

Maybe F-105 on the power driver board, upper middle fuse bank, on the very right.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Doctor_Who_Tech_Chart.pdf

#5700 1 year ago

Replaced the upper pf plastic, dome, decal. Looks nice!

1B47F27C-702E-45C5-89A7-10F0582C3481 (resized).jpeg1B47F27C-702E-45C5-89A7-10F0582C3481 (resized).jpeg897A0E72-DA42-4093-B4B0-CB627DAB3444 (resized).jpeg897A0E72-DA42-4093-B4B0-CB627DAB3444 (resized).jpeg76680D34-2B15-48E9-B44D-6D54835CF5DB (resized).jpeg76680D34-2B15-48E9-B44D-6D54835CF5DB (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
£ 110.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 85.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/114 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.