IMG_1145 (resized).jpeg
20240418_085522 (resized).jpg
under pf (resized).jpeg
IMG_6077 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_8106235_0 (resized).png
Pinside_forum_7773109_2 (resized).jpg
229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,766 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 216.
#9051 9 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

He wants to use the rules of Ali on a homebrew / custom game. Not that crazy. Like this game Wild Schutz is a conversion game for the very different layout of Strikes and Spares
[quoted image][quoted image]

OK. I see now.

Interesting. A S & S without the 10 rollover buttons and 9 extra stand up targets.

#9052 9 months ago

What about modifying the Ali by using the boxing ring bell modification?

#9053 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Although, Bally back glasses and back boxes are different from the Stern back boxes and cannot be crossed over easily.

Huh?
I moved this Galaxy to a Supersonic cabinet without much trouble.

#9054 9 months ago

Huh?
I moved this Galaxy to a Supersonic cabinet without much trouble.
[quoted image]

I did not say that very well.

You can move the back boxes OK. But you cannot swap a Stern back glass into a Bally back box. Bally back glasses are not as tall.

#9055 9 months ago

I don’t think that’s accurate. I used the whole cabinet, including the head.

IMG_1556 (resized).jpegIMG_1556 (resized).jpeg

#9056 9 months ago

Yea this is correct.

Home brew machine with Ali rim rules. But different layout.

He wants to use the rules of Ali on a homebrew / custom game. Not that crazy. Like this game Wild Schutz is a conversion game for the very different layout of Strikes and Spares
[quoted image][quoted image]

#9057 9 months ago

Yea.
This is what I am thinking of doing.
Thanks for the info for me to look into.
Ali sounds will be Ok, to keep it as simple as possible at this stage.

I was just seeing what maybe required to run a bit of music over the top of them. Or a whole new sound package.
Thanks again for you reply.

Quoted from trecemaneras:

I’m reading that the Ali is to be restored now instead of rethemed. But that the retheme plans are to continue, but without sacrificing an Ali (good call!). So the question is, what cabinet and boards could be used with a custom playfield that uses an Ali ROM.
My (uneducated) guess would be that any early ss cabinet would work, and a set of Weebly or Alltek boards to run the Ali ROM, but that would use the Ali sounds as well. To run your own custom sounds, I think you would have to run an Arduino and sound card combination or use a pin controller like FAST or P3-ROC, but if I’m not mistaken, both those options would require recreating the Ali code in Mission Pinball Framework, or some other platform that can talk to the controller.
You could check out DickHamill ‘s thread on replacing the classic stern sound board with an Arduino: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-m6800-in-a-stern-mpu100-with-an-arduino

#9058 9 months ago

I don’t think that’s accurate. I used the whole cabinet, including the head.
[quoted image]

I stand corrected then. I have heard it from a couple of others that the Bally back glass was shorter. You are proof that the back boxes will interchange back glasses.

Your Galaxy cab looks fantastic !

I am also glad to see that I am not the only one who keeps a tool box in the dining room

And Rick and Morty. My friend has a R & M. That play field is so beautiful when it is lit up.

#9059 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I stand corrected then. I have heard it from a couple of others that the Bally back glass was shorter. You are proof that the back boxes will interchange back glasses.
Your Galaxy cab looks fantastic !
I am also glad to see that I am not the only one who keeps a tool box in the dining room
And Rick and Morty. My friend has a R & M. That play field is so beautiful when it is lit up.

I currently have my Stars glass chilling in my friend's playboy while I fix the Stars cab, lol. Direct fit.

Is there any real difference between stern legs and bally legs? I've mixed all my legs around now and I don't remember what originally came with stern and what didn't (not that that would even serve as any guarantee that they weren't replaced at some point before that)..

20230709_090926 (resized).jpg20230709_090926 (resized).jpg20230709_090912 (resized).jpg20230709_090912 (resized).jpg20230708_212921 (resized).jpg20230708_212921 (resized).jpg20230708_213106 (resized).jpg20230708_213106 (resized).jpg
#9060 9 months ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Is there any real difference between stern legs and bally legs? I've mixed all my legs around now and I don't remember what originally came with stern and what didn't (not that that would even serve as any guarantee that they weren't replaced at some point before that)..

Stern are the grey/bleu ones, the shapes are quite similar though i thought the ribbing was a little different?

#9061 9 months ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Stern are the grey/bleu ones, the shapes are quite similar though i thought the ribbing was a little different?

AFAIK these two "gray" ones are original stern legs, I'm guessing the single rib is just a bit higher than the Bally legs? Plus rounded vs squared inside? Otherwise they seem very, very similar. Pretty sure I'm having squared legs done in red for my Meteor. Whoops.

20230709_120852 (resized).jpg20230709_120852 (resized).jpg20230709_120911 (resized).jpg20230709_120911 (resized).jpg20230709_121100 (resized).jpg20230709_121100 (resized).jpg

//Edit I checked my Seawitch and Meteor and found that Witch had dark gray/square inside and Meteor had black/rounded inside. But I don't think it had these black legs when I bought it, IIRC it had gross/rusty "silver" legs that I've since powdercoated and sent off into the world somewhere. I have no idea what's what at this point, lol.

#9062 9 months ago

Does anybody know if it's possibble to get replacements for drop target coil stops and new plastic coil sleeves for Stern drop target coils? PBR doesnt carrry them and entering the Stern catalog part number gets me no hits at Pinball Life or Marco...

#9063 9 months ago

Marco has them just search generic coil tubing to get the right size I always replace the metal ones with nylon they are the same as Bally.

No idea on the coil stop though usually they're not worn.

#9064 9 months ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Does anybody know if it's possibble to get replacements for drop target coil stops and new plastic coil sleeves for Stern drop target coils? PBR doesnt carrry them and entering the Stern catalog part number gets me no hits at Pinball Life or Marco...

Here's what I've used in the past for coil sleeves from Marco, with good results:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I haven't come across the coil stops yet.

#9065 9 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Here's what I've used in the past for coil sleeves from Marco, with good results:
[quoted image]

I just looked up the Bally part #, A-613-99, but Google search didn't turn up anything. Is this part really just totally gone out of production? (I'm just assuming it's the same part for Bally as for Stern, or could be made to work?)

#9066 9 months ago

I just installed Wolfpack displays in my magic and each display has “11” on when a game starts. I have alltek mpu. Is it supposed to be this way?

#9067 9 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

[quoted image]

I just looked up the Bally part #, A-613-99, but Google search didn't turn up anything. Is this part really just totally gone out of production? (I'm just assuming it's the same part for Bally as for Stern, or could be made to work?)

I have an old aluminum coil sleeve from one of my Stern drop targets. I also have another aluminum sleeve from one of my Bally drop targets. They are a match.

On Marco's website I have found the bracket opposite the coil stop.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1A-488

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

The Marco link shows part number A-378 for the coil stop.

Following that link leads to this Marco page for the A-378

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-378

It also shows as being NLA.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#9068 9 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I just installed Wolfpack displays in my magic and each display has “11” on when a game starts. I have alltek mpu. Is it supposed to be this way?

I think you need to clear the audits using the service buttons in the coin door.

#9069 9 months ago

My Stars tilts every time I hit a ball through the left spinner with significant velocity and therefore spinner revolution. The tilt happens as the spinner comes to a stop. Any ideas as to where to troubleshoot? Thanks.

#9070 9 months ago
Quoted from Flippingr8:

My Stars tilts every time I hit a ball through the left spinner with significant velocity and therefore spinner revolution. The tilt happens as the spinner comes to a stop. Any ideas as to where to troubleshoot? Thanks.

What happens if you manually rotate the spinner?

#9071 9 months ago
Quoted from Flippingr8:

Is the capacitor on the tilt bob present? If so, try clipping one leg off and see if that corrects it. The left spinner and tilt bob share the same switch strobe in the schematics (ST0, the first vertical column in the following diagrams)--even though they're on separate pages...the playfield switch matrix:

Screenshot_20230714-223650.pngScreenshot_20230714-223650.png
...and the cabinet switch matrix:

Screenshot_20230714-223630.pngScreenshot_20230714-223630.png

#9072 9 months ago

Any one have a pic of the wiring on a stern stars? Left flipper is not working after changer flipper assembly to style 2 . Was working before I changed them.

IMG_7208 (resized).jpegIMG_7208 (resized).jpegIMG_7209 (resized).jpegIMG_7209 (resized).jpegIMG_7210 (resized).jpegIMG_7210 (resized).jpegIMG_7211 (resized).jpegIMG_7211 (resized).jpeg
#9073 9 months ago

Here is my Magic.

IMG_0195 (resized).jpegIMG_0195 (resized).jpeg
#9074 9 months ago

I’m back in the club with a stern magic! Need to clean it quick and get it on route!

#9075 9 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Any one have a pic of the wiring on a stern stars? Left flipper is not working after changer flipper assembly to style 2 . Was working before I changed them.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

wiring looks fine. You getting voltage to the coil? Does it work if you manually short it to ground? EOS nice and close?

#9076 9 months ago

Try filing/burnishing the EOS contacts. Hold the flipper button in and move the flipper up by hand. If it grabs and holds, that's your problem.

#9077 9 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Which way is the diode oriented?

#9078 9 months ago

I've had issues with some of the new closed EOS switches, where the switch is closed but the contacts aren't shorting. quick swipe with a burnisher and they work fine.

#9079 9 months ago

Thanks it was the EOS switch. Opened it by hand and it is working now.

#9080 9 months ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

I've had issues with some of the new closed EOS switches, where the switch is closed but the contacts aren't shorting. quick swipe with a burnisher and they work fine.

i believe i remember someone mentioning they sometimes have some kind of coating on them, quite wipe with naphtha made it better.

#9081 9 months ago

Taking a poll here,

How many would be interested in a repro set of the SEI coin door trim set? 2 or the 3 hole option. I myself am having a hard time finding them in good condition.

#9082 9 months ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Taking a poll here,
How many would be interested in a repro set of the SEI coin door trim set? 2 or the 3 hole option. I myself am having a hard time finding them in good condition.

Yes very interested

#9083 9 months ago

Bringing this one back to life!

IMG_7072 (resized).jpegIMG_7072 (resized).jpeg
#9084 9 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Bringing this one back to life!

I'd never heard of FreeFall until your post. Just watched some gameplay of Yopp's restore on YouTube....now I want a project one! Added to my wish list...

#9085 9 months ago

You guys better both talk to dothedoo about how to make FreeFall better with his mod(s)

#9086 9 months ago

free fall is fun we have ours jacked so high I had to put a piece of plastic in front of wireform so the ball can lock and not fly off onto the playfield

#9087 9 months ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Taking a poll here,

They're so hard to find in ANY condition! Really the lack of availability of trim parts like that makes scratch-build cabinets kind of not worth the effort or price. So many coin doors are re-sold without them.

#9088 9 months ago

They're so hard to find in ANY condition! Really the lack of availability of trim parts like that makes scratch-build cabinets kind of not worth the effort or price. So many coin doors are re-sold without them.

It might come to the point (gasp) where a person will have to consider using a Williams/Data East style coin door.

The Golden Eye cab that I am going to convert ( most likely Star Gazer ) has the Williams style coin door installed. It is smaller than the classic Stern coin door so opening up the hole to fit a Stern door is not an issue.

Making the coin door hole smaller on a Stern cab to fit a Williams style door would not be an issue.

#9089 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It might come to the point (gasp) where a person will have to consider using a Williams/Data East style coin door.
The Golden Eye cab that I am going to convert ( most likely Star Gazer ) has the Williams style coin door installed. It is smaller than the classic Stern coin door so opening up the hole to fit a Stern door is not an issue.
Making the coin door hole smaller on a Stern cab to fit a Williams style door would not be an issue.

I'm anxiously waiting to see how that one turns out. I had hefty dreams for that cab, but in my hands it was most likely destined to be more of a nightmare!

#9090 9 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

About to install these style 2 flipper assemblies in my Galaxy. Anyone have any tips for lining them up correctly?

#9091 9 months ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Taking a poll here,

I would probably buy 2-3 off the bat, just in case I could never get another. Make it so!

#9092 9 months ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

How many would be interested in a repro set of the SEI coin door trim set? 2 or the 3 hole option.

Heck yeah!!

The coin door bezel (admittedly a more difficult part to make) would be nice to have on the market too…

#9093 9 months ago

Heck yeah!!
The coin door bezel (admittedly a more difficult part to make) would be nice to have on the market too…

Yes. I could go for a couple of these myself. I prefer the two-hole style that did not provision for the Susan B. Anthony dollar.

#9094 9 months ago

Just joined the club with a F2K!

#9095 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I prefer the two-hole style that did not provision for the Susan B. Anthony dollar.

I always kinda liked the Susan B. version since it makes it that much more of a time capsule…small matter though.

#9096 9 months ago

I always kinda liked the Susan B. version since it makes it that much more of a time capsule…small matter though.

Good point.

#9097 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What happens if you manually rotate the spinner?

That was an excellent idea. So it turns out that isolated L spinner rotation doesn't cause a tilt. But a ball going upwards thru the L spinner and activating the 500 point rollover at the top of the arch while the spinning is winding down causes a tilt reliably. The 500 point rollover activated by itself doesn't cause a tilt either. I'm not sure of the significance of tilting with the combination of activation of those two switches at the same time but at least I can reproduce the problem. Ideas?

#9098 9 months ago
Quoted from frunch:Is the capacitor on the tilt bob present? If so, try clipping one leg off and see if that corrects it. The left spinner and tilt bob share the same switch strobe in the schematics (ST0, the first vertical column in the following diagrams)--even though they're on separate pages...the playfield switch matrix:
[quoted image]
...and the cabinet switch matrix:
[quoted image]

Thanks for your reply. See my response above to the other person who recommended that I try manually spinning the spinner to see what happens. Does the fact that the simultaneous activation of the spinner and the top-of-the-arch rollover being the thing that causes the tilt help diagnose the problem?

#9099 9 months ago
Quoted from Flippingr8:

That was an excellent idea. So it turns out that isolated L spinner rotation doesn't cause a tilt. But a ball going upwards thru the L spinner and activating the 500 point rollover at the top of the arch while the spinning is winding down causes a tilt reliably. The 500 point rollover activated by itself doesn't cause a tilt either. I'm not sure of the significance of tilting with the combination of activation of those two switches at the same time but at least I can reproduce the problem. Ideas?

What happens if you hold the 500 point rollover switch closed and then manually rotate the spinner? Help me ID that 500 point rollover. What are the colors of the 2 wires on the 500 point switch?

Pinside_forum_7668135_1 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7668135_1 (resized).png

#9100 9 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I think you need to clear the audits using the service buttons in the coin door.

I had to re re-pin the bottom 4 connectors on J1 and it works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 169.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 10.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,766 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 216.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/182?hl=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.