20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethbenjamin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4896 2 years ago

Long time sys 11 guy here, more recently converted to classic Stern lover; picked up Galaxy this January, sold my Diner and purchased Stars and a project Lightning with the proceeds. So far I’m really enjoying Galaxy and Stars, Lightning hasn’t been started in on just yet (kinda hoping somebody makes a repro playfield, but otherwise will restore.)

My question to this group at the moment is, what is it about classic Stern flippers which makes dead flipper passes so iffy? Unless the ball is really moving, many times allowing it to bounce over just makes it kind of die and drain SDTM. This doesn’t happen on the system 9 and 11 Williams games I’m more familiar with, or on the 90s pins I have worked on. Is it the “extra weight” of having a metal plate in the flipper body, making it less “live”? I really love the games, have yet to play a classic stern O didn’t enjoy, but it does require an adjustment in the “feel” of playing. Anyone have any insights on this?

2 months later
#5289 2 years ago

I’m gathering thoughts for a “feasibility study” on the idea of scratch-building a Nine Ball.
I see people doing these builds on other games, and since I missed the window on this title before it shot up stratospherically in price, figured “shoot, maybe I should just build one.”

But the more I looked into it, the more challenges presented themselves.
Major challenges I have identified so far primarily have to do with game-specific parts:

- one-sided spinner is unique, as far as I know. That means sourcing or fabricating a reproduction of birth the spinner and the bracket.

- single drop target mechanism in front of the horse shoe. In theory, one could install the Williams single drop mech from ST:TNG or IJ, and then 3D print a wider faced special drop target. Like I said, in theory.

- 9-bank of drop targets. This is another hard to come by item, and the drops also have individual solenoids, correct? This on its own could be a deal-breaker.

The rest of the parts needed seem like a matter of patience and scavenging (apron, transformer, coin door, etc.)
What do the rest of you think, is this a pipe dream or is it something worth pursuing?

#5300 2 years ago

That looks SUPER RAD! I love it!
Might have to pursue that option when I get around to restoring mine. I had no idea!

#5308 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

ball rails and ball guide are usually a pain too, of course the PF harness until we get repro made

I’m banking on somebody making the metal guides at some point, and preferably on somebody making the harness, though I have some tech savvy friends who might be able to help out with the harness if it comes to that.

Wooden rails I can whip up pretty easily in my shop. I thought there was somebody making them for sale, but iff you get stuck on that part hit me up.

#5319 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Death by a thousand cuts.
Nickels and dimes.

Ayup. I just did the same, plus a plastic set, transformer, and apron. We’ll see how long before my wife starts expressing concerns about the credit card statement…

#5320 2 years ago

Cool to see that the potential is here to get those specialty parts made. To me it really doesn’t make sense to pay the same money as a scratch build would cost just to get a game which would be a restoration project to me anyway. Nine Ball has become so pricey and hard to find, it seems like as just as good a candidate as QS and Stargazer for the scratch build treatment.

3 months later
#5784 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Hey, would there be interest in stern 3-bank and 4-bank drop target assemblies if I could have them reproduced?

Absolutely.
I mean, sure, we can scrounge around for old drop banks; I’m not above using Gottlieb if that’s what becomes available, but it sure would be nice to just be able to buy what you need to do a scratch build. I only became aware that people were doing them this past year, and am really intrigued by the possibilities. Now that there are so many parts becoming available, it would be fantastic to whittle down those “sticking points”; drop banks seem like a really good project to pursue. You’ll never make *everybody* happy with how you end up designing them, but hey, other folks can find an option more to their liking if they want. I would think enough people would be excited about a fresh new drop bank for their games that there would be a brisk business selling them! (I’d buy a pair of 3-banks RIGHT NOW if they were available )

#5789 2 years ago

I’m gradually collecting parts for my eventual NB scratch build. One thing I can’t turn up are the metal ball guides, but another Pinsider can make repros, provided he has good working photos to help him. Does anybody on here have partial teardown pics showing the ball guides still on the playfield?

1 week later
#5826 2 years ago

I got my Flight 2000 drop target bank over the weekend, which I bought with the intention of doing a Nine Ball scratch build. The obvious next question is, can I get additional lift arms and "knockdown" arms anywhere? Is that the sort of thing that would have to be scavenged off of other drop banks?

All of which raises the point again that reproduction drop targets would be a real boon to the hobby at this point!

1 month later
#6041 2 years ago

Anyone have a line on where to find 2" 6-32 carriage bolts?
I'm starting a restoration on a Lightning, and some of the posts are fastened with those, rather than the usual post studs - and none of the post studs are actually long enough to work with the taller plastic post spacers used on this game.
The ones on the machine had semi-welded themselves to the nuts and had to be broken off to be removed.
Online I can only find places that want me to buy 3,000 at a time.
Anyhow, I figure I can't be the first person to come up against this problem. This isn't some exotic thing, but if somebody could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful!

#6050 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am still using the T-nuts. But now I am coming from the lower side of the play field with 4" long 6/32" screws and then cut them off to the height I need.

Ah, of course. I should have come up with that on my own! That reminds me not to seek help with simple problems at 11:30 at night, lol.

Trickier question: there is a ball feed mechanism which prevents the ball from bouncing back into the outhole - it uses a *very fine spring* to reset. I’m actually working on two of these machines; one has the spring but it seems not long for this world, the other is missing it entirely. Does anybody know a part number or alternative part for this?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6062 2 years ago

Ok, next question…

EVERY insert on these machines has both moved and sunken. I’m no stranger to replacing inserts, and I’m not a fan of eye-dropper if clear coat to level them out. It’s just not a good option when you have a lot of this going on.

On the other hand, while I can find faceted inserts all over Pinball Life, nobody seems to have non-faceted inserts in all the sizes/colors needed for a Lightning. Does anyone know of a source for the stock style inserts?
I’m not a purist, so I would go with faceted if it came to that. Would sooner swap all the inserts to the same style than end up with a mix, honestly.

FF59E327-334E-4BA4-8807-2C1C41F527A5 (resized).pngFF59E327-334E-4BA4-8807-2C1C41F527A5 (resized).png
#6065 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

When I did Flash Gordon I had to source from Marco and Pinball life.

Looked there first. I can only get flat colors in the round inserts, but arrows the only flat ones available are the yellow, from what I've seen so far. I'm OK with using the more familiar "starburst" style if that's all that's available (they look nicer, even if they aren't "stock".) Just wanted to see if anyone had a source for the original style before I committed to that course...

#6068 2 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

i really dont think a remove enought material with sanding to weaken the insert

I’ve done the same in the past. These inserts are *particularly* bad, and some of the arrows aren’t even just concave, they are warped in more than one plane. Just a total mess.

Quoted from bluespin:

Did you check Pinball Resource and Planetary Pinball?

Yes. I wrote to PBR and have not gotten a reply, unusual for them.
PPS baffles me. They don’t have the old style ones.

1 month later
#6177 2 years ago

Hey all - in case folks missed it elsewhere...Dick Hamill has programmed fantastic new code for Galaxy. I loaned him my machine back in July, and as of December, he had worked out this amazing new rule set. Completely changes the machine, for the better. The whole playfield is really brought into the gameplay for the first time.
Dick's working on a second draft of the code to make a few more options available (as it is now, it's ridiculously hard for a middling player such as myself!), but even as it, I think you'll agree it's pretty great. Check it out!

#6179 2 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

For anyone unaware, he's done new software for a few Sterns: Stars, Meteor, Trident, and now Galaxy (as well as a few Bally's)

Lightning is slated for a re-write as well, I'm restoring a pair of them currently and one will go to him at some point to tinker with.

#6181 2 years ago

Is there anyplace online or on Pinside where all the classic Stern upgrades are listed off with how-tos?
I know that the knocker should get a fuse, but not what rating, and I know there are a few other safeguards like that which are supposed to be followed on these machines, but haven't seen them compiled in one place before.

#6184 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Pinwiki has all the board upgrades

Man…I always forget about PinWiki!

1 week later
#6206 2 years ago

Did this group ever get to the bottom of the issue with repro drop target bricking/dropping upon reset?
I have this problem with drops in Stars, Meteor, and Galaxy. I'm planning to repaint the Stars targets and reinstall them. On Galaxy, one target almost always drops upon reset. On Meteor, one or two of the METEOR targets always drop on reset (not the memory feature), but the rocket targets - all originals - work perfectly.

Is it really just about cutting that little tab a tiny bit shorter on the repros? If so, how would one do that consistently? Or is the only solution here to pony up for the Shapeways targets?

#6220 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Maybe a slight delay should be added to Meteor2021 between the drop bank resets if it is vibration from the 2's target bank

I can report that my Meteor exhibits similar behavior while running the original code.
But, that said, I think your idea would be very interesting to pursue. Should be very easy to tweak the code in that way. DickHamill !!

#6234 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

the current, and hopefully last, issue in front of me: The "M" target in the METEOR bank falls after an all-target-bank reset (

I believe that I have solved this problem. It certainly seems to have eliminated the issue for me.

I had the playfield out so that I could install the new, socketed lamp boards on my machine. Hooray! No more flakey lights.
It only made sense to get the big drop bank out of the way to facilitate the project. I figured I'd have another look at the bank while I had it out. I've had basically the same issue, though not only the M target. On reset, mine usually dropped one or more targets, when it's supposed to reset them all.

Apologies in advance that I didn't shoot any pictures. I wanted to get those lamp boards in. I'll try to be very specific in my description.

I noticed that, when I pull the plunger into the coil to reset the targets, the little lip of the targets which rests on the metal "fingers" of the memory target coils just *barely* clears those fingers. If I pulled the plunger up slowly, *none* of the targets would engage, and remain up. If I pulled it up suddenly, some of them would stay put. Sometimes all of them would, but that was unusual. Almost always there'd be a couple that didn't stay up.

If I raised the targets from the reset arm on the *non-solenoid* side of the target cage, those little lips on the targets rose up significantly higher - as much as a solid 1/16". Pulling the targets up from this side, they stayed up every single time.

So, what we need to do is gain some height when the targets re-set. One way to do that would be to shim the reset bar. But they didn't need them "back in the day", so I figured I'd like to avoid that if possible. Another option would be to grind down the coil stop, but that seems uncalled for and kinda lacking in finesse.

Finally, it hit me: If I pull the coil plunger all the way in, and *clamp it there*, in the fully retracted reset position, then I can readjust the reset bar using the hex screws on either end. When I cleaned and reassembled my drops, I hadn't considered anything other than letting the targets be at rest, and then tightening the screws in that position. So, I got a small clamp and held the plunger in all the way, loosened the reset bar adjustment screws, and moved the bar up a bit, to where the targets cleared the memory coil fingers significantly. It's a tad fiddly, but not too terrible. You'll probably have a slight unevenness between the M and the R end, but as long as you raise the action overall, you should be fine.

When I got everything reassembled and started up the game, *VOILA*. It reset the whole bank, consistently, every single time.

#6235 2 years ago

The possible down side to this is that the screws could tend to go out of adjustment eventually. But, once you know what to do, it takes only minutes to readjust. One could make the argument for thread locking compound in this application.

I suspect that on the repro drop targets, the little tabs that they hang on are ever so slightly too long. My Galaxy drop targets worked fine until I replaced the targets. As soon as I did, the red star started dropping about 50% of the time.
It seems to me that bricking is related to target bank placement, as cottonm4 explained in such helpful detail. But targets dropping upon reset - this adjustment should clear up the problem.

I had considered slicing off the tip of that little lip on the targets with the Dremel tool, but thought better of it, since it would be hard to shave them off consistently, and have the targets line up at the same height.
Again, I suspect this problem may return if the set screws let go over time, but I just played 4 games in a row with flawless performance from the drop bank.

Hope this is helpful.

#6254 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

"38" was listed as closed. "38" is the top right rollover.

I had a similar problem with those switches when I used them on the new PinBot translucent ramp. Apparently they are VERY fussy, but if you her a good one they should be highly reliable. It’s a new concept and they are still working out the bugs, but as you have no doubt discovered, the guys running that show are very nice and want to make sure it’s all working well for their users. I much prefer the small profile of those switches under the high visibility plastic on PinBot, but have also had problems with the magnet physically not sticking to the ramp! Great concept, bugs still being worked out; we are all helping prove out the concept, I guess.

I can totally see how you’d have been around the bend trying to figure out what was going on with that lone drop target. Those sort of mystery gremlins are the WORST, they take up so much time! But I am really pleased that the solution I hit on worked for you (and that my description was clear enough to be followed.) I suspect that adjustment should be made on all drop banks from this era to eliminate the bad resets. I have the same problem on Galaxy, and am currently restoring 2 Lightning machines, so I’ll be checking that adjustment before reinstalling their drops. It’s really nice to have a definite sense of how to approach these troublesome banks going forward!

1 week later
#6291 2 years ago

Thought I would post some progress pics…I am currently restoring not one but two Lightning machines, one a full blown soup-to-nuts restoration, the other (mine) just the playfield stuff (no cabinet work…yet…)
[edit: wow, I can’t figure out Pinside’s weirdness on photo order. I just tried twice and can’t get the photos in the correct sequence. Moving on…]

It’s been a pretty tough playfield restoration; my own copy of the game had been particularly badly neglected, and it’s time consuming to do touch ups that look good on a design that is this intricately detailed. I’ve been doing a little dance between using frisket masking and airbrush, designing and printing out water slide decals, and just doing hand work with a black Molotow paint pen. The final clear coat will be going on today, and I am relieved to be stepping off of this process. It’s been satisfying work, though.

Here are a couple of “before” pics:C0FC9ED5-B7DF-4A72-827A-4D4CA811B26D (resized).pngC0FC9ED5-B7DF-4A72-827A-4D4CA811B26D (resized).pngF4E7DFC8-4308-47FD-80CA-40C2CCE00FFD (resized).jpegF4E7DFC8-4308-47FD-80CA-40C2CCE00FFD (resized).jpeg

The horseshoe shot was a 2-part repair; feather the airbrushing into the art, clear coat, then apply water slide decal to reestablish the black art:

3378DA8B-566C-4870-BD67-91D26550CC9B (resized).jpeg3378DA8B-566C-4870-BD67-91D26550CC9B (resized).jpeg77878150-E0B4-48EF-92B7-555BBB4E117C (resized).jpeg77878150-E0B4-48EF-92B7-555BBB4E117C (resized).jpeg

The insert key lines and lettering was a major task….I go into it in detail on the Vids Guide to playfield restoration thread, but here are some pics of the process - 3 layers of both white and clear water slides:

62806773-EEF7-4EA9-8D47-EFF3735AD934 (resized).jpeg62806773-EEF7-4EA9-8D47-EFF3735AD934 (resized).jpeg7DF48898-CD3F-4372-8350-6D0A6E2B359E (resized).jpeg7DF48898-CD3F-4372-8350-6D0A6E2B359E (resized).jpegB6DD2F6B-E28D-44B9-8E7A-791079E297DC (resized).jpegB6DD2F6B-E28D-44B9-8E7A-791079E297DC (resized).jpeg2A7F1D37-5DD8-4E70-AC1A-F8F2F8E1219E (resized).jpeg2A7F1D37-5DD8-4E70-AC1A-F8F2F8E1219E (resized).jpeg993D1ABE-0774-460D-ACFD-FFEB72B73B4E (resized).jpeg993D1ABE-0774-460D-ACFD-FFEB72B73B4E (resized).jpeg

The top of the upper playfield with Mr. God Guy got touched up in the same way as the horseshoe, though I neglected to get a photo after re-applying the green dots via water slide decal. Last night I spent a lot more hours that I thought I was going to, cutting out frisket mask so that the white background paint could be refreshed:

1F889F90-DA13-4599-B676-39545ED8B73D (resized).jpeg1F889F90-DA13-4599-B676-39545ED8B73D (resized).jpeg25C33490-99F4-4C77-A1EF-707BB6C13840 (resized).jpeg25C33490-99F4-4C77-A1EF-707BB6C13840 (resized).jpeg2C7B1913-1A3F-43BF-B6FA-702552E33E8B (resized).jpeg2C7B1913-1A3F-43BF-B6FA-702552E33E8B (resized).jpeg46EE9D95-689F-4F49-8BA6-0B04C65781CC (resized).jpeg46EE9D95-689F-4F49-8BA6-0B04C65781CC (resized).jpeg

I’ll be sure to post follow up pics once the final clear is done, and as the games get reassembled

B9BCF42E-F1F3-4085-B8FB-B1FBA0C8F390 (resized).jpegB9BCF42E-F1F3-4085-B8FB-B1FBA0C8F390 (resized).jpeg
#6298 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

What pitch is, "normal" for a STARS and/or this era of Stern pins in general? The STARS I have is pitched up further than any other pin I've played, to the point the ball barely makes it to the back of the playfield. What do you guys recommend?

If the ball is barely making it the length of the playfield, your flippers are underpowered, unless your pitch is something truly crazy. My Stars is set up like every other machine I own - rear adjusters at maximum, front adjusters at minimum, for the most speed I can get. I would think the legs must be a significantly weird extra long size for the pitch to be an issue.

PAPA tournament pitch, if memory serves, was always 6.5 degrees. If you're anywhere in that neighborhood, you the flippers should be able to send the ball flying around pretty well. I will say, Stars has the least "punch" of any of my machines, so I do a lot more drop catch shooting than I would on my PinBot for example. I am told this is because the older transformers don't carry as much punch as the later ones.

Anyhow...I have never owned a pin that didn't benefit substantially from having new flippers.
I have found that Classic Stern flippers age poorly - often the threads where the coil stop connects to the base are stressed and they just strip out if you try to rebuild the flippers. So it's worth considering ponying up for all new assemblies - just remember that if you do that you also need to get new flipper bats, as the base plate style was improved and the original Stars flipper shafts are not long enough to be used.

#6306 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Totally manageable, but something to watch out for.

Yep, I have added this nylon washers in the past - good thing to point out!

And by no means am I suggesting type 1 should be replaced in every instance; my Galaxy and Meteor both have rebuilt originals that have lots of power. I just would advise people to really examine the condition of the base plates and be sure that they can still be rebuilt. I had ordered rebuild kits for Lightning only to find that I couldn’t use them on 2 of the flippers because the coil stop threads were just too mangled!

#6312 2 years ago

I’m on the hunt for the ball trough assembly parts for F2K/Nine Ball. Most importantly the metal ball guide stuff. 7FF85746-4158-490E-B4D6-F7B2D86FD442 (resized).jpeg7FF85746-4158-490E-B4D6-F7B2D86FD442 (resized).jpegAnybody have a line on these:

#6324 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Basic flipper help needed.
First time fixing flippers from this era (Stern Stars)

Personally, I can’t see the point of doing maintenance level work on flippers this old.
The flippers are *the* highest wear parts in the entire game. Given that these machines were build to only last a few years, and flippers are the first thing to go, AND the game has outlasted its intended lifespan by an order of magnitude, don’t throw some retreads on there. Replace the whole assembly.

There’s nothing at all wrong with just using a rebuild kit on these flippers, but I have found that the primary bracket assemblies often get completely ruined - the threads where the coil stop attached have just gotten too stressed from the impacts, and are stripped out, making a rebuild impossible.

If you’re buying new assemblies from Pinball Life, you’ll also need new flipper bats, as they only make type 2 flipper bases, not the type 1 used on Stars. (Original flipper shafts are too short for type 2.) But considering that your flipper bats are 40+ year old plastic, it’s a fine time to update them to something a bit fresher as well.

Seeing as you are already in the territory of replacing the coil anyway, why not treat your machine to some brand new flippers, which are clean, have new threading at the coil stops, fresh EOS switches, new coils, new coil sleeves, new bushings, and new bases. You’ll be so psyched to have flippers which really have proper power! Read Vid’s Guide to rebuilding flippers, too. You may have to adjust the EOS switch gap when you install them.

Doesn’t hurt to put in new cabinet switches while you’re at it. The best option that I know of is from Pinball Resource, but they may be available elsewhere.

4 weeks later
#6432 2 years ago

Hey all -
I’m reassembling. A Lightning cabinet, and noticed that the transformer is wired for 115v.
It’s one of those things I’ve never paid attention to in the past, but I thought “hey, aren’t most household outlets 120v?”
Wanted to get some input from the group about that.

2 weeks later
#6521 2 years ago

Lots of discussion about reproducing cabinets, so I figured I should chime in:

I’ve been working on a Lightning restoration, and while I had the cabinet stripped down for painting, I took the opportunity to measure out all the key components, and drew up the whole thing is SketchUp. The plan is to be able to send the file to my friend who operates a CNC shop - so anytime a classic Bally or Stern comes through the shop with a beat cabinet, I can just have him cut me a new set of panel parts.

I’m actually restoring my own Lightning playfield alongside the full restoration, but decided I would hold off on the cabinet, as I’d rather just build a nice new one which will be built stronger than the aging original than to put all that timer and energy into sanding and body filler. Personally, I just can’t justify the effort of preserving old cabinets that are basically failing structurally at this point if I can make a new one (not that every old cabinet is a goner, but the ones on my Galaxy, Meteor, and Stars are pretty wonky at this point.)

Somewhere (probably in this group) I heard that Lightning is a slightly higher cabinet construction due to the split level playfield. I haven’t taken the time out to compare its dimensions to one of the other Sterns in the shop, but presumably it would just be a matter of making a height adjustment and keeping Lightning as a separate file. An easy enough thing to change.

Anyway, I’m not looking to get into business building these cabinets, I just wanted to have a (relatively) easy and efficient way to build one when I need one, and I wanted to be able to decide for myself how to execute the corner joinery (on mine I will probably end up using locking miters, which will add a step as you can’t mill those using CNC. That’s a whole conversation unto itself.)
But, if anybody wants me to share the SketchUp file with them, I’d be happy to. This 3D model *HAS NOT BEEN TESTED YET*, so I don’t recommend anybody invest a ton of money or time into that unless they are pretty conversant with 3D modeling and can check my work over before committing. I fully expect the prototype to turn up issues with stuff I missed or things that need tweaking. Unfortunately there’s no way to really test it without fully assembling and seeing how/whether it all fits in the end.
All that said, it’s something I’ve been working on, and if you have a local maker space, you may be able to get the parts cut pretty inexpensively if you have a CNC-ready model to send them.

#6535 2 years ago

I'm finishing up a Lightning restoration (photos soon!) and am dialing things in, but the maddening thing is that I have no speech.
I checked the primary sound board and the jumper mod has been done, so that isn't the issue.
I replaced all the wiring harness pins. And I had the boards tested by my tech, and they were declared OK. Primary sound works, just no speech. Which is kind of a bummer! Ideas??

The machine is running a Weebly MPU, FWIW.

#6538 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

When you say the boards were tested, does that include the VSU-100 speech board? It's possible S14001A speech synthesizer chip has gone out. You can find them but they're not cheap. My brother has an extra working one. Or you can get a repro board from https://glodstone.com/

I took a heap of boards to my guy, and am *pretty sure* the speech board was among them.
Neat thing is, I am restoring my Lightning at the same time, and just ordered the repro board for it (my game is missing the VSU-100)
So, once that gets here I can test out the situation by swapping the boards and seeing what happens...

#6548 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

New sound boards are the route we are going in my area for Stern & Bally.

Hmm...I just got the new Glodstone speech board, and it works when I run its self-test, goes through all the callouts. But when I start a game I still get nothing.
Am I seriously gonna have to replace the sound board as well? Seems like overkill, like the answer is here somewhere. I can't see where it's likely to be connected incorrectly; the wiring really only goes one way. But whatever triggers the callouts is not happening.

#6552 2 years ago

Update: the game has a 2017 Weebly MPU board in it...I swapped in my own 2021 board and suddenly, the voices are working.
Dammit!!
But at least the issue is resolved!

#6553 2 years ago

...or *IS* it??

Now the speech works but I have no background pulse.

Time to put in an Alltek. I just so happen to have one in my Meteor.

Well how about that. *NOW* everything works - game sounds, background pulse, AND speech, while running the original speech board.

#6555 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

On the second board check the dip switch settings to see if background sounds are on.

Good call! That was it.
Doesn't help me with the first board, but maybe barakandl can shed some light on that for me.

#6566 2 years ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

This happened today..

INTERESTED.
Are you doing just this short run, or will you do more later?

#6605 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yeah, he talks about it in his Galaxy thread.

The new code is spectacular. My Galaxy was the loaner to Dick so that he could develop new code for it.
Next up: Lightning!

#6606 2 years ago

Got these 2 both up and running 100%

830B103B-4CE8-4E41-89DC-C7F75B3E6685 (resized).jpeg830B103B-4CE8-4E41-89DC-C7F75B3E6685 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#6962 1 year ago

Stars holds the somewhat unique distinction of being equally fun to play in both modes. I play them interchangeably.

#6973 1 year ago

Are you all using rattle cans for the whole project, including the primary background color?

I would really like use HVLP as much as possible, for the simple reason that can triggers give me carpal tunnel trouble. Even with the little handle triggers, I’ve tried them all. I get pain.

I’m in the middle of doing a pin can with auto base coat and I hate it. Never again if I can find a better option.

No less an authority than Vid1900 tells me he is using latex paints for his pin can work. Says it lays out well, dries fast, no issues with orange peel or stencils pulling up the paint. Topcoats with either 2PAC for hi gloss or varathane for flat.
Makes me want to start using latex and never look back.

Anyhow, curious to hear about what’s working for people.

#6985 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Chris shared his "low key" how to do cab, and he had no clear either

I guess Rustoleum is cheaper to purchase than auto paint (~$55-$75/quart at The Coating Store), but that seems like a fair amount of effort to put in just the same. Thinning oil base with acetone and spraying HVLP I’m thinking you’d wanna be set up with a good exhaust booth just the same as with auto paint; the oil base isn’t as high VOC as auto but you still want to get rid of the overspray and don’t want to be breathing it.

No knock on Chris, he’s obviously got a thorough background in this stuff and I’m sure his advice is grounded in that knowledge.

Im a little frustrated at not having been able to hit on what feels like the “sweet spot” for how to approach cabinet repaints. Lots of options and a good case to be made for all of them, it seems.

As an aside, I personally am not crazy about the Oramask product for stenciling. Again, no knock on Jeff, his stencils make a lot of projects possible and his product is spot-on. But there is always a risk of some degree of rough edges that simply would not be there in a non-adhesive stencil like oil board. But it’s hard to justify the labor to reinvent the wheel when a solid option exists that is available at the click of a mouse.

I used 10 mil non-adhesive vinyl with a paper backing to make stencils on a plotter once, but that product didn’t really lay flat enough; had to use a lot of double stick tape to hold it to the surface. I’m cool with under spray but it was too much.

File under: middle aged white guy complains about his not-actual-problems…

#6994 1 year ago

Are these the sockets you all are referring to?
The other 555 sockets (with metal legs) sit the bulb too high for classic pop bodies; are these a better fit, or are you using flat-topped bulbs in this location?

35589F4A-A79C-4E0D-AC84-CDB9154D970C (resized).png35589F4A-A79C-4E0D-AC84-CDB9154D970C (resized).png
#6997 1 year ago

I hadn’t known about these. Obviously an improvement over the project options; will be switching over from now on!

2 weeks later
#7092 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

ts too bad So many meteors and galaxies are being
Frankensteined into stargazers,quicksilvers etc.

If more people start playing Meteor and Galaxy with the Dick Hamill code, they might take a greater interest in those games. I have them and Stars in the lineup and love them all; I play Galaxy and Meteor on the new code exclusively.

But it is true that the low production numbers are something to consider. I *love* Star Gazer based on the one time I got to play one, but with pricing being what it is these days, the only way I will own one is if I scratch build it. I’ve already decided to go scratch built for Nine Ball - these old machines just aren’t *worth* paying $5k-$7k just to get a hold of one that then needs to be restored. It’s a pity that the only model for reissuing an early solid state classic is that absurdly overpriced Bally Fathom a couple years back. A Classic Stern reissue line would be fantastic, but then of course it would be all the issues of having enough pre-orders to make it worth the effort, etc.

(Arrows presumably coming my way for dissing the Bally Fathom reissue price point. I have counter-arguments prepared, lol.)

#7098 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you can come up with the answer for these 2 parts---and the special drop target---you can do it. Without these 3 items NB is a no-go. And don't forget the transformer.

I have all of these things, plus two sets of 3-bank drops, light/score panel wiring harness, cabinet harness, apron, shooter cover, and the oddball outhole/ball trough setup. Been collecting parts for over a year. Will need to figure out something for the playfield harness, but many people have solved that in different ways so I’m not
letting that discourage me.

Next phase is building new cabinets, which I want to start doing on most of the classic sterns I see. (All of my cabinets are real dogs.) I have a friend who works for a CNC company and his shop is at-home. Just waiting for him to get the newly upgraded machine installed.

#7102 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am going to make a training aid to walk everybody through the mysteries of the switch harness.

That would be immensely valuable! And it would be really very cool to understand that better and have the option of making my own harness. I still carry a torch for the idea of doing a Repo Man homebrew pin at some point...

#7104 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So, if you get new cabinets and have extra space for storage, there will be people, such as me, who would grab a used cab needing work.

Oh I wouldn’t destroy the old cabs, don’t worry.

My Galaxy cab has a big row of drywall screws holding it together in the back corner. Meteor is pretty shaky as well. For me, having the option of building new feels more attractive; I have a background in cabinetry so building fresh appeals to me. But the main thing is that I end up putting a lot of hours into restoring this old ones for people who are hiring me for restoration work, and I find myself thinking the labor would be fewer hours for a better result if o could easily cut and assemble a new box.

That said, I’ve definitely put in hours refurbishing old cabinets as well. Any cabinets I retire I would put in Pinside marketplace for folks who want them!

1 week later
#7159 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The cabinet has been repainted and stenciled. Might consider a clearcoat but I usually don't. I like the factory look better. She is just sitting on the cart drying now.

I used a *flat* clear on my latest cabinet repaint, and I was very happy with the look.
Where gloss clear accentuates any surface imperfection and the paint edges, the flat clear pushes all of them back. The result is a very clean looking overall appearance, very much in keeping with the older factory appearance - but you get the benefit of a topcoat protecting the paint.

Not sure how well it translates to photos, but:

1080FDCA-C6DC-4008-AC4F-600E7AAA8745 (resized).jpeg1080FDCA-C6DC-4008-AC4F-600E7AAA8745 (resized).jpeg95540E16-710A-44B1-9F61-3900D41F6D2B (resized).jpeg95540E16-710A-44B1-9F61-3900D41F6D2B (resized).jpeg
#7164 1 year ago

That does look nice. How did you apply the clear?

It’s a 2PAC product with “flatting” material in it. (Needs to be stirred a bunch before use.)

I sprayed it with the HVLP gun; as the clear dries it goes from looking “wet” to flatting out. You can re-spray a second coat pretty soon after the first.

If you put it next to a cabinet with gloss clear, you’d see that the black looks noticeably deeper on the gloss finished cabinet, but on its own or in a lineup with other classic machines it really does look “correct.” I used gloss for the initial coat, and it almost seemed a shame to “knock it back”, but again, the gloss really accentuated the surface imperfections (because I only spent a day and a half filling and sanding, rather than a week, lol.)
The flat clear just *made* the finish.

I got the clear from The Coating Store; there’s a $10 up charge for the flat clear but it was worth it.

1 week later
#7218 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This request came from out of the blue. It was a surprise.
I have been requested to make a Nine Ball lamp board for a guy who scored a populated NB play field (nice score). I have made the template and will cut a NB lamp board in a couple of days. Does anybody else need a NB lamp board while I am at it?

You mean the backbox illumination panel? Yes please.

#7221 1 year ago

Dropped in the playfield tonight for a test fit. Star Gazer is a good looking game. Can't wait to play it. Still have a lot of work ahead of me.
[quoted image][quoted image]

SG is such a deservedly sought after game. I only played one once, and it absolutely delighted me. You’re making me want to do a scratch build now! Dammit!!

#7238 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is why Stern has stayed in business all these years after Williams, Bally, and Gottlieb left the pin industry.

OMG accurate

1 week later
#7280 1 year ago

Holy shit, that is amazing.

Now I want to use that on any repro pin cabinet I make!!

#7284 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

brick bottom? That almost sounds vulgar.

Wasn’t that a Spinal Tap song?

2 weeks later
#7342 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I hope I have been able to put this together in a clear and concise manner so it can be easily understood.

I was running this down in my mind while tracking down a switch issue on a recently restored machine (turned out I had a couple wire positions switched in a molex connector I had added, duh.)
Anyhow, it was the first time the idea of a row or column kind of clicked in my head, or at least started to. So, the electrical current basically pulses down the rows and columns and just terminated at the last switch, does not return, yes? I think I had always had the incorrect impression that the pulses went down and back, like a loop. But of course nobody would describe that as a row or a column!

#7379 1 year ago

I have sprayed spinners with Rustoleum to good effect.

I don’t know about “California blend”, sounds like a vintner term, lol.
The Rustoleum I can get at the hardware store in Massachusetts works well.

But, as with all things, you can’t use shortcuts. I get rid of the original paint using a wire wheel (in the future I’ll sand blast.) Then, tape off the arms of the spinner so they stay paint-free.
Then prime. Allow to cure for recommended time on the can. Then paint, and allow it to cure as well. Next, either airbrush with a stencil, or apply a waterslide decal. Once that’s fully dry, topcoat with rattle can clear.

One could use auto paints - I do on cabinet repainting, for the speed - but they are awfully noxious and it feels like overkill to me. Quick we and easier to grab a can and step out back for a few minutes at a time than to have to mix paint and fire up the spray booth.

That’s all on the assumption that the spray can product I can get is the same as or comparable to what’s available to you, of course. This seems to work pretty well though.

#7425 1 year ago

I am personally arranging for Lightning to be delivered to Dick Hamill this weekend so that he can start creating new code for it.
If you’ve seen how he completely transformed Galaxy from the generally undesirable, lower-tier game it was considered to be, into one of the greatest players in the classic stern lineup, you might take that into consideration.

That said, I restored 2 Lightnings and it took a lot of heroic effort to pull off. They play great now but it was a major production, and I had to get custom insert reproductions made for those big blue arrows. It really needs to be cleared in order to play fast like it is supposed to. Playfield is pretty tight. I can see where opinions split in Lightning, but I wouldn’t write it off.

3 weeks later
#7494 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

My friend ordered the a Mirco 2nd run playfield with the corrected artwork, but it arrived more warped than a potato chip & he's spent the last year trying to get it flattened out.

I’m not an apologist for anyone in the pinball biz; that said I guess I’ve just been lucky that the 2 Mirco playfields I have gotten (Whitewater and Spirit) arrived very nicely packaged and without flaws. Dimpling was precise/accurate. Topcoat was great. I’ve seen numerous CPRs that had really thin clearcoat layers, to the point that I scuffed and re-cleared them. And CPR’s dimpling is faint to nonexistent, which is a real problem on complex playfields with a lot of ramps, etc.

Cool that CPR is going that extra mile to fix errors from the original production run, surely. Good on them. But really, I try to bear in mind that 10 years ago, there were very few repro playfields and parts weren’t so available as they are now either. Again, I may just be lucky that my a Mirco experiences have been positive.

As for playfields arriving not flat, that’s a bummer, but I can tell you from experience that the 40 year old NOS Warlok playfield that I installed 2 years ago was badly warped, but once it had all of the wiring, coil brackets and assemblies and everything else installed, the weight of all that and a bit of pressure to seat the brackets into the lockdown receiver readily coerced the playfield into laying flat. After a couple of weeks, it had basically gotten retrained and didn’t even spring back much once the lockdown bar and glass were off. Warped plywood really doesn’t take direction without being clamped into position; in my experience the best way to do that is to put the playfield together and get it into the machine.

2 weeks later
#7598 1 year ago

I restored a pair of Lightning pins this past year, just got around to doing a brief rundown of the process, if folks are interested:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-tale-of-two-lightnings

IMG_8615 (resized).jpegIMG_8615 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#7719 1 year ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

How do you guys hammer spray paint it? Just cover the whole thing? And one coat? I'm concerned the paint will stick on the sliding parts making it difficult to slide back and forth?

I disassemble what I can…if memory serves, the two main parts are separable, but the pivot arm is riveted. A case could be made for separating that as well but I’m not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Sandblasting is excellent here if you have access. Otherwise use some elbow grease and get in there with wire wheels and scotch brute pads to get rid of as much rust as you can, or as mentioned above, give it an evapo-rust bath overnight.
Rust oleum makes a primer which claims to stabilize rust, so that may be good if you can’t get at everything. Mostly I use etching primer though. Then spray the metallic paint of your choice. I like the slight sparkly rim paints, but have used just straight silver paint as well, it seems pretty arbitrary. Hell, paint it pink if that makes you happy, lol. Some paints don’t call for a topcoat, but I like to use ones that do, because in my mind having that extra clear layer seems like good protection. Once it’s cured those paints are pretty robust.

I haven’t tried using auto paints on these parts but I might give it a shot, simply because those are so fast drying and you can move through the whole process really quickly.

#7720 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Have you tried a soak in evaporust first? If you have a wallpaper tray

A 4” length of drain pipe works well for this too - also nice for treating rusty legs!

#7722 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Reverse this. The pivot arm is attached with nut, bolt, and a special washer. The two main parts are not separable without major surgery.

Aha! Memory does *not* serve!

I just refinished a Gottlieb Spirit lockdown bar, I think with those it’s the other way around.

#7723 1 year ago

Finally carved out some days to do my Meteor playfield swap. I’ve been holding this thing close to a year now. There’s nothing like a new playfield; things are just really nice and *tight*, very lively.

77C67917-233E-49D9-9662-F21FCE0BF318 (resized).jpeg77C67917-233E-49D9-9662-F21FCE0BF318 (resized).jpeg

Yeah, the laser printing is not as nice as screen printing, but I’ve done enough playfield restorations to know that if you can get a decent reproduction it’s hard to justify the labor of reclaiming an old playfield. People will disagree, that’s fine, for me it’s nice to just start with a clean slate.

59D0D596-A3B1-434D-AFB6-9C82AAAFD635 (resized).jpeg59D0D596-A3B1-434D-AFB6-9C82AAAFD635 (resized).jpeg

I used Yoppsicles to replace the controlled lamps. Boy do I love these. If David made GI replacements of some kind, I’d be over the moon, honestly.

I had put off fixing a bunch of crusty problems inside the cabinet, so it was time to address those as well. Somebody had snipped all the wires from the transformer and rectifier board and done a very ugly job soldering them back…here’s me working through the lot of them. They all got snipped again, and soldered properly with heat shrink tubing after.

323343BC-FCD7-4CED-B9F9-E811BC241FAE (resized).jpeg323343BC-FCD7-4CED-B9F9-E811BC241FAE (resized).jpeg

I was gonna just put new connector pins on the existing rectifier board, but I had this Xpin around that I was going to put in my Lightning, and here I was up to my elbows anyway…so I decided to just start fresh.

C4817C7B-F347-4FD0-9802-92E02B5158C9 (resized).jpegC4817C7B-F347-4FD0-9802-92E02B5158C9 (resized).jpeg

0C582DE7-5B0D-4F9C-B400-88C43386460F (resized).jpeg0C582DE7-5B0D-4F9C-B400-88C43386460F (resized).jpeg0910386F-AEB7-4B36-B618-7617C087EF60 (resized).jpeg0910386F-AEB7-4B36-B618-7617C087EF60 (resized).jpeg

This game had been stored somewhere…damp. Every metal part has that chalky white dusty surface. I can’t let that stuff go, I had to clean those parts up. I have the grinding/buffing wheels a workout cutting through all that gross stuff.

C3AC3D6A-E9E6-4C54-9AF7-3D4F47499178 (resized).jpegC3AC3D6A-E9E6-4C54-9AF7-3D4F47499178 (resized).jpeg

The coin door will wait until I get my sand blasting booth set up. But this photo represents a fair amount of time and god help me, it is a beautiful sight. In time I will restore and do a good paint job on the cabinet, but this is very improved for the time being:

5131DFD6-890E-46F6-BE8B-F5EE0E86B92A (resized).jpeg5131DFD6-890E-46F6-BE8B-F5EE0E86B92A (resized).jpeg

Backside playfield fully populated except for the drops. Happily for me, I had already disassembled them and gotten them cleaned up and dialed in nicely last year, so they didn’t really need anything.

1935F7A9-5F1E-46CB-A8C1-82922C6E2357 (resized).jpeg1935F7A9-5F1E-46CB-A8C1-82922C6E2357 (resized).jpeg

Playfield ready!

E56C889E-C894-40C4-B263-2CF498B30F82 (resized).jpegE56C889E-C894-40C4-B263-2CF498B30F82 (resized).jpeg

After some fiddling with flippers, star rollovers, etc, she’s up and running beautifully! The action is fast and lively, it plays like a NIB machine.

108FB6BE-51C7-4E6D-9D77-B62DC69758F0 (resized).jpeg108FB6BE-51C7-4E6D-9D77-B62DC69758F0 (resized).jpeg

#7726 1 year ago
Quoted from 29REO:

3” X 33” plus 1” because it holds exactly one gallon with an inch to spare and because Evaporust ain’t cheap

Holy crap, that’s amazing ⚡️ MATH POWER ⚡️
Awesome tip!

#7727 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

The biggest complaint on have on the CPR Meteor is the post between the flippers

It’s so funny, I’d heard that was an issue and was all worried about it, but they fixed it on the run I got. I still double checked and ended up moving not just a bit even further to the left in order to get it just so. I’m shocked they didn’t fix the art registration to re-center it, but alas. I’m not one to complain, I can remember a time when repro playfields weren’t a thing. It’s hard to get this stuff perfect.

I was very surprised by the color mismatch between the playfield and the plastics. I’d have thought that with laser printing, they’re using the same process and the same CMYK values, so why the mismatch?
It doesn’t bother me that much but it is a head scratcher to my perfectionist brain…

#7730 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I basically just double check before doing any of them. The NOS meteor artwork was slightly offcenter as well, I think sometimes they have it offcenter on purpose so that a player will think it's going to hit the post but it doesn't.

Yeah my meteor and stars both are *slightly* off center but nowhere near as much as the repro.
Again, when you’re done with the swap and are just playing it really isn’t that important, just a little weird looking if you’re staring at the art instead of playing the game, lol.

But, agreed, it pays to be very mindful and check things before drilling your holes.

Also good to pay attention to tear outs or places where the wood threaded posts and screws have loosened on the original. Some of the screws are damn near right on top of each other where the drop banks mount and the posts are situated. I moved the posts back an extra 1/8” to get them away from the mounting screws. Doesn’t affect the gameplay.
Also not a bad idea to use through-bolting on some extra spots where the bands keep posts under tension. Over time the wood fibers can get fatigued, most pin owners have come upon those places where the hole I’d just stripped out and can’t hold a screw anymore.
Probably not necessary to go with through bolts or t-nuts right off the bat if it wasn’t a problem on the original playfield, but it doesn’t hurt, either. I’m the sort of person who will forever be thinking about it if I *don’t* make those upgrades, but I’m also OCD when it comes to this stuff. Years of working in absurd high end carpentry and cabinetry have made me somewhat deranged

#7748 1 year ago

It would be amazing if some journalist could write the definitive history of pinball/coin op. (And live to collect proceeds from their book, lol.)
Really interesting reading your comments, I’ve only had the gayest idea about how all this stuff went down. The whole picture maybe will never be truly known but it is a weird and interesting story from what I gather.

1 month later
#7935 1 year ago

I just did a long-delayed playfield swap on my Stars, and am really in love with the results.

As with any playfield swap, I:
- cleaned the wiring harness
- fully disassembled the drop target banks, cleaned all parts, waxed the metal, replaced coil stops, and in this case replaced the drops with Swinks targets. These things are *great.*
- Installed Yoppsicle lamps for all controlled lights.
- new GI sockets
- Rebuilt the slingshots
- Rebuilt the pop bumper
- cleaned all coil brackets and waxed against future corrosion
- cleaned all trough metal guides and waxed.

I was always puzzled as to why Stars’ flippers felt weak compared to my Meteor and Stars, even after rebuilding them. Turns out the coil value was different and I just hadn’t been paying close enough attention.
I replaced the stock coils - J25-500/34-5050 - with the more common coils, J25-500/34/4500. The difference was massive. The flippers finally feel correct, not like they’re struggling to propel the ball. Everything is snappy and responsive.

I’ve had this Beehive playfield hanging on the wall for close to 2 years, so it was great to finally get it in the machine and do all the deep work I’d been wanting to to make it play its best.

In order to offend the purists maximally, I’ve also got Dick Hamill’s Stars 2021 code running. I love being able to play the game in two completely different modes. Honestly I still play Stars primarily in Classic mode, but being able to boot up a completely different rule set and soundscape is mighty cool.

Very nice work by both Mike Lund at Beehive Pinball and @dickhamill!
Next will be to restore the cabinet and get this thing minty fresh. But for now, it plays beautifully, and that’s the most important thing.

Beehive Stars 2.0:

Beehive Stars 2.0 w/2021 Rule Set:

#7978 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How steep do you have it set at? It looks you really have the back of the play field up there.

I always set my machines as steep as they’ll go. I’ve been known to grab a chunk of 1” plywood and put it under the back legs if I’m still not satisfied at the speed.

#8029 1 year ago

The Swinks drop targets are so superior to the commonly available ones, it cannot be over stated.

Worth. Every. Penny.

#8030 1 year ago

I’ve been meaning to post these pics for a while now…I had Cliffy make protectors for the kickout holes on Lightning.
He made a batch, so if you want a set, just drop him a line!

DD766CDF-4A31-4B4D-B1E8-6F7F537D856C (resized).jpegDD766CDF-4A31-4B4D-B1E8-6F7F537D856C (resized).jpeg
2318B68E-1157-4D5F-AB8A-CD333D95D4D5 (resized).jpeg2318B68E-1157-4D5F-AB8A-CD333D95D4D5 (resized).jpeg48070D62-8607-4BC5-90B2-C104B02C3EDB (resized).jpeg48070D62-8607-4BC5-90B2-C104B02C3EDB (resized).jpeg

#8037 1 year ago

I’m gonna put in an order soon for a set for my Lightning, which bricks somethin’ awful. That could make for an interesting test case.

#8042 1 year ago

I made my decals in AI, happy to send you the files if you want.
Lightning bolts should be easy to render as well…

1 month later
#8271 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

It is going. This caused a very late night and an early morning. I have a tendency to overdo things sometimes.

Are you prepping for the possibility of repro playfields? Planning to make a series of decals?
I’ve drafted up big chunks of playfield art in the past but never to redo an entire playfield.
Intrigued!

#8298 1 year ago

Terry used to beat people until they were unconscious at Expo?! Was it, like, a cage match type of thing??

#8313 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

a lot of people just go all the way down in the front (some people even remove the nut from the leveler) and all the way up on the back

I used to carry a crescent wrench with me to the local bars or bowling alleys that had pins, to “fix” the ones that were set up flat as a pancake
Also been known back in the day to stick a 2x4 under the legs if the levelers were too short in back

#8316 1 year ago
Quoted from evanc:

Trident pop bumper all fixed! The classic stern pop bumper body didn’t want to sit too flush with the assembly the previous owner used. I think maybe they accidentally shaved a bit of one of the lamp socket posts when shaving down the assembly to fit. I replaced the assembly itself with the new one I put pics of and swapped over the coil, spoon, body, ring etc and all was good with the new assembly. After confirming that I filled the hole and got it mounted flush with all four screws as well.
Just in time too! Got the Trident 2020 kit in today. Excited to dive into that as soon as I locate a good set of cheapish cabinet speakers.

Hellz yeah, Trident 2020 is killer!
Ask Dick about the version with the Multiball update. You have to add a WPC style ball trough but holy cow, it’s cool!

1 week later
#8502 1 year ago
Quoted from China_Grove:

Are you guys replacing the inside corner plates and if so which version is best to use? Bally/Williams or stern.

I’ve always just gone straight for the WMS brackets; I like that the design “straddles” the corner and at least in theory gets the stress away from the joint. Only problem I have had is on a couple of old cabinets the corner blocks are big enough that the brackets don’t sit flush against the cabinet side/front walls. On those I have made up the gap with plastic Handi-Shims.

Handi-Shim Heavy Duty Reusable Plastic Construction Shims for Spacing, Leveling, Plumbing and More - 40 Piece Assorted Pack (4 sizes) https://a.co/d/6AZlXJf

#8533 12 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am done with the Molex connectors. I started using the "Z" type connectors. They are so much easier to build using the trifucon pins as opposed to the Molex pins.

Curious, what about them do you find easier? IMO the Molex pins are easier to crimp than the Trifurcons (marginally.) Seems a person is no less likely to err using one system vs. the other.

Not trying to challenge your choice, people should use whatever works for them. I'm a Molex guy but only because it's what I know and am accustomed to using.

#8535 12 months ago

That’s pretty solid reasoning.

I haven’t had trouble with Molex crimping (though I have had failed crimps that ended up with me scrapping the contact and starting over.) You’re definitely correct about the trouble disconnecting them, and the potential to screw up when you have larger connectors like 9-blocks. (I often add Molex connectors to drop target banks; are Z-connectors kind of bulky in these configurations, since they’re laid out in a straight line?)

I also like the idea that I can just maintain a supply of Trifurcon pins rather than having to keep ordering M and F contacts. Less to keep track of or suddenly realize I’m running out of. I’m not worried over a “factory appearance” beyond making sure things look clean and professional, so it’s apples to apples in terms of that. Seems like Zs could be worth switching over to when I start to run low on Molex.

#8543 12 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

I did pick this up from Amazon recently - not necessary and can usually improvise something to pop a pin, but for $10 it's kinda handy to have a case with every size pin remover you can imagine.

Holy smokes, that's a great find! Instantly added to the cart. Thanks for sharing.

#8570 11 months ago

I’m totally converted to using auto paints at this point. The low build and speed can’t be beat. Nice work on Galaxy, I didn’t know those stencils were available either!

I tried a few different clears for cabinet topcoat and found that the semigloss sold by The Coating Store is “just right.” Glossy clear looks wrong to me, and it highlights every surface imperfection. Flat clear actually looks very good, and *hides* imperfections nicely, but can look a little dull (and it desaturates the paint color some.) The semi gloss has a very nice eggshell finish which looks perfect to me, hides imperfections but also feels nice to the touch. Not saying you need to do that on your project, but I haven’t heard others discuss that as an option. For me, when I applied it to a cabinet I was like “OK *that* is what I’ve been after!”

#8598 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Drill a 1/16" pilot hole all the way through. Make sure you are drilling straight down and not drilling at an angle. If you have a drill press, then make a drill bushing by drilling a 1/16" hole in some wood and use this as a guide for drilling the pilot hole at 90 degrees.
Put a piece of masking tape over the pilot hole. Get a Forstner bit of correct diameter. Set your drill motor to run in reverse to cut the paint a line in the paint without the bit lifting the paint. Once you have a good cut line, then set your drill to forward and let the bit do what it is designed to do. Go slowly. To avoid splintering any wood, once you are about 90% through, then come from the underside and complete the hole.

This is 100% correct. I had to do this on a playfield a couple of years ago. Only thing I would do differently would be to start from the back and then go to the front - so that when you finish the hole, if the drill punches through unexpectedly you’re going through the back side. Unlikely, but obviously you want to be conscientious.

A drill guide seems like overkill to me; you’re only going through 1/2”, and really only ~1/4” (from each side.) As long as your initial 1/16” hole is straight through (using a guide block is spot on), the Forstner bit will be easy to control.

It’s also a very good idea to lightly break the edges of the clear with fine sandpaper to ease them back from the edge of the hole and keep the clear from chipping later on.

#8602 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This statement confuses me. If you start on the backside and go to the front and the drill punches through wouldn't it be punching through to the the front side?

I meant drill your small hole through from the front side, begin with your forstner but from the *back* side, then finish from the front. If that makes it any clearer? Probably we were on the same page in this already.

As for the drill guide, I meant I wouldn’t go buying a special rig to stick your drill in. If the OP has a drill press, simply using it ti drill through a scrap piece of 3/4” material would suffice to use as a guide block. But of course you’d want to place the drill tip very specifically before positioning your guide block.

Ultimately people have to do whatever is comfortable for them. I’ve been building cabinets for the disgustingly rich for 15 years, so maybe have a bit less anxiety about stuff like this than some other folks, which is understandable.

#8629 11 months ago

Wow, man, the Lighting hate is unwarranted.

It’s a weird time capsule of a machine with a wacky theme and pretty cool artwork. Add to that the unusual playfield layout which has more personality than a lot of other games of the era, *plus* the fact that Dick is writing code for it as we speak…Lightning is due for a Renaissance. Quicksilver is cool and all, but is it maybe not just a wee bit over-hyped at this point?? When Lightning is available for under $2k and QS can’t be had for less than like $8K, you have to ask, is it really $6K more fun to play? *REALLY*?

Granted, they probably had orders to make a split level playfield to compete with Black Knight and the game seems rushed into production compared to BK. It’s not on the level of your Nine Balls or Stargazers. But the idea that people are just parting them out seems kind of awful to me.

#8630 11 months ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

If the new code happens on lightning, it'll be awesome

It’s not a question. New code is happening.

#8634 11 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It's NOT just quicksilver... These days, it's pretty much every single game that is currently available, NEW or USED. It has nothing to do with the money any more, it's the people spending it and the zero risk mentality.
I stopped giving in a long time ago. "new pinball people" seem to be glad to pay extra money for art, fancy, lights, toppers, and themes. 15 years ago, 90% of us that liked and collected pinball [RGP] laughed at most of the antics of those pinball enthusiasts.
Now, it's the norm for people in the hobby to want those things and to pay whatever those things cost. Then, after the $9K purchase, those same people explain and justify their purchase and reasoning on Pinside by joining clubs and starting threads on mods, constantly reminding themselves that they can just sell the game for exactly what they paid for it, even if the game is total shit.
I know not all feel this way but, these days people spend the money first and figure out if the game is any good well after that fact. I do understand why... there is currently very little RISK when the used pinball resale market is so very strong (even for routed games).
Still, it does not mean that you have to choose to participate in the antics.

Agreed wholeheartedly.
This is the reason I am scratch building a Nine Ball rather than buying one for $5-6K. Most old Sterns are in dire need of major restoration; if I’m basically buying a project game for that money, I’d rather just build it with a fresh playfield, boards, and displays and have it be basically new. I actually think it would be pretty cool if they started selling unassembled kits at this point, save for the fact that you can’t get the specialized parts easily.

I’m grossed out by the insane spending that’s required just to get into what used to be a hobby at even the most basic entry level. And frustrated that the pricing is completely disconnected from anything that feels like value to me. I’ve basically given up on the idea of buying any more machines unless some really reasonable deal comes along on a project game.

All that said, I am very curious to see how the Hamill code changes Lightning; Galaxy was pretty dull before, but with the new code, it’s the game people want to play when they come over to my place now.
I’m here for the underdog games, lol. Proud to say every one of my machines was purchased for under $2k!

#8638 11 months ago

ve not seen a Lightning anywhere near the sub-2K mark in quite some time. I'd definitely grab one if I did. Every one I've seen has been $2500 (beat to hell) or $3k+. I'm out at $3k.

Man, that’s bonkers. I bought mine two years ago for maybe $1400 or so. Playfield was in dire need but it had a full set of LED displays and a full compliment of Alltek boards, so I figured that was some substantial value right there. I bought it, Galaxy, and Stars all within a couple months because I was frankly scared of where the market was headed (i.e., being just plain priced out of it.) Guess I’m glad I picked them up when I did. Also paid too much for a Meteor later that year which turned out to need way more work than I thought (ended up doing a playfield swap, among much else.)

I’ve only played Nine Ball a couple of times but it turned into a sort of white whale for me once I saw how damn much money people were getting for them. Maybe I’ll hate it, lol. But I can at least sell it and make back most of the money I put in, I guess. It would be nice to feel like the stakes were lower. My first pin was $700 and at that time trading games was actually a feasible way to rotate your collection. Heavy sigh.

New code on Galaxy is absolutely amazing.
I have Stars as well and probably play it about 60/40 in favor of the original code. That to me is really the sweet spot, a game which is fun to play in its original version but which can also be enjoyed in a completely different way. Kinda interested to see what Dick does with Nine Ball once I get it built!

#8663 11 months ago

I've not played a Trident, but I think it looks like it sucks. JMO. lol

It’s another game that Dick revolutionized with new code. But you have to add a new style ball trough and auto launch mech for the Multiball modes! It’s completely awesome with those changes.

BTW, I *love* the idea of re-theming the Beatles back to Seawitch 2.0
I love the Beatles a lot but the idea of a whole game which is only about the early part of their career seems like a huge missed opportunity…plus I’m just sick to death of licensed themes. It’s one reason I love TNA so much!

#8665 11 months ago

I don't want it to sound like I don't like stars. I do. It's a good game, and even better when you consider its age. But it's definitely not on my top 3 Sterns. I do think I need to probably just pull the new code out and go back to chimes most likely.

I have all my Hamill code games running with an on/off switch so that I can easily go back and forth. I use this feature on Stars a *lot.* On Galaxy it’s to show people how radical the difference is. I don’t really play Meteor on old code because all the original rules are still there, and I don’t really miss the droning sounds, lol.

#8667 11 months ago

TNA is one I really want......... for like 5k.

100% agree. I was ready to have a Serious Conversation with my wife about it, but then I heard the price was going WAAAAY up and said screw it. It’s just not worth spending so much more than I can even justify to myself.

Remember when Alice Cooper came out and it was $6500?

#8669 11 months ago

2 cents on Stars…it is the only pinball machine that I have played literally every day since buying it 2 years ago. Back when Mystic Pinball was still around, I had been a Williams/Sys11 snob. Stars was my gateway to appreciating older machines and the sublime perfection of pinball from an earlier era. Not a ramp to be found and yet I was totally hooked!

It also has *the* most perfect risk-reward strategy built into its rules of any game I have played. It’s perfect if you’re playing alone, and perfect if you’re playing competitively. It’s also the game that finally got me to start nudgeing properly. You can’t phone it in, you have to be 100% focused. Rollover passes don’t work, post passes don’t work, drop catches are a must. There are always good options from both flippers. The game is the platonic ideal of the pinball machine. A master’s class under glass.

A new or restored playfield, rebuilt flippers and a set of Swinks drop targets are essential to really enjoy it fully. It isn’t quite as lively as Meteor and beyond, but it forces you to really work the machine. Plus with only the chimes, you can play rock and roll music the whole time. Stars is my absolute desert island pin.

#8670 11 months ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

I sold my TNA after picking up a Meteor for $500. TNA is good and probably objectively better than Meteor, but nowhere near $5k better.

I think you just became my personal hero.

#8680 11 months ago

I’ve only played Trident at Dick’s house, running new code and it was plenty challenging, super fun.

#8688 11 months ago

On games that have both options, I’d probably burn Slochar’s code to the board ROMs, then stick an Arduino on there with a switch so that I could play Hamill code when I want to. Win-win, no downside. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ali code sounds great, the bell is genius. Hope to get to play that at some point!

#8704 11 months ago

slochar wow I didn’t even know you had done code tweaks on Meteor or Galaxy!
I’d be psyched to put those ROMS into my games and have both your code and the Hamill code as options!
I appreciate that your code being on the ROMs (and therefore harder to go back from) is more in keeping with what would have appeared back in the day, and I think it’s really cool. In fact, when I loaned Dick my Galaxy I was imagining he’d just tweak a couple of things to improve the rule set. He completely surprised (and delighted) me with what he came up with! But that said it’s still nice to go back to the early SS sounds and vibe. I’m gonna have to fire up the ol’ ROM burner and see about adding those rule sets!

2 weeks later
#8749 11 months ago

Does anybody have a line on where to purchase PCB supports for Bally/Stern boards in quantity? You can buy them from Marco and PL, but they're 59 cents apiece. Seems like they should be available way cheaper on Mouser or someplace, but I don't know how to search for them in that vast sea of options.

It would be great to just order a couple hundred of them and be stocked up without it costing $150 to have a bin of them on hand...

3 weeks later
#8848 10 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I did not install one in my first scratch build Star Gazer two years ago, and looking through the Star Gazer thread it does seem that some games have it and some don't.

Interesting, my Stars machine occasionally “gifts” the player with a grace ball after the drain, never put it together that that post was there to mitigate that tendency.

On my other machines that have the post, I like to use a standard post with rubber sleeve, just to have one less metal-to-metal contact point in the game. This has the odd “advantage” of occasionally facilitating an accidental bang back if the ball is going fast and you keep the flipper up. To me it’s a bug that I’m calling a feature, makes the game a little wilder and more unpredictable.

The guy you sold the game to should be cool with not having the post, it isn’t essential for the game to work, and if they want it there, it’s super easy to install - but of course I never trust people with those sort of operations, so maybe it would behoove you to go install it for him if that’s an option. It isn’t like you were choosing to cut a corner but if it makes them happier I’d just do it, it’s an understandable oversight and an easy enough thing to address.

#8855 10 months ago

Here’s something that I’ve been meaning to ask this group for a while - only on my stern machines do I have the issue with the ball jumping the flippers, this doesn’t happen on my Williams machines, like, ever. I don’t have any Ballys in the lineup but would expect the same since they’re basically identical?

I chalk it up to “oh well, that’s pinball”, but wonder if there’s something I need to adjust?

Also, my experience with repro Stern flippers is that the machining is really poor quality. The 3 machines I have that use original flippers (rebuilt type 1) are fine, no problems, but on both Lightning machines I restored I opted to swap out new mechs since the originals had had the coil stop threads totally torn out. On both I’be had problems; I had to file down burrs on several plates, and the coil stops were still not perfectly adjacent like they should be. I have had issues with flippers not returning ti rest fully, which really screws up game play. I’ve considered putting in Bally or Williams mechsx it’s that frustrating. Anyone else have these issues?

#8856 10 months ago

Oh, and BTW, Dick Hamill is finalizing code for a Lightning code rewrite that absolutely kicks ass. I’ve been beta testing for him and it’s fantastic. All you guys who were gonna part out Lightning, cool your jets.

1 week later
#8939 9 months ago

I’ve never owned a Seawitch and with pinflation being what it is I’m unlikely to.
As for Stars, it is the game that has been played every. Single. Day. Since I brought it home 2+ years ago. It’s also the one that everybody looked at me funny about at first but then came to absolutely love, it’s always a cornerstone of my pinball nights.

Why these two machines are being compared against each other is a mystery to me, it’s a silly exercise.

Last night at tournament nite, Lightning became the new top fave because I unleashed the new Dick Hamill code and it blew everybody’s mind. All those people dismissing Light inf as a game to part out are about to start eating those words…

Seeing new code on games like Lightning and Galaxy really raises the bar and reveals them as games whose playfields always deserved better programming. Finally they are getting their due. Interestingly, Stars is the one machine that I mostly play old rules on; it’s just so nicely balanced and really fun for competitive play.

#8940 9 months ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

everything looks stock from the outside. When switched to the original code, you wouldn't know anything was different. When switched to the 2021 code, it sounded awesome.

That’s really an elegant solution. Perfect!

#8956 9 months ago

Probably doesn't help that I'm terrible at it. Idk.

We used to call Stars “the equalizer.”
I’m pretty sure it has made me a better player in general. Tough as nails yet I always need one more game.

#8957 9 months ago

New code for Lightning is nearly finished, only thing remaining is patching in LED flashers on the top of the cabinet.

Check it:

1 week later
#9062 9 months ago

Does anybody know if it's possibble to get replacements for drop target coil stops and new plastic coil sleeves for Stern drop target coils? PBR doesnt carrry them and entering the Stern catalog part number gets me no hits at Pinball Life or Marco...

#9065 9 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Here's what I've used in the past for coil sleeves from Marco, with good results:
[quoted image]
I haven't come across the coil stops yet.

I just looked up the Bally part #, A-613-99, but Google search didn't turn up anything. Is this part really just totally gone out of production? (I'm just assuming it's the same part for Bally as for Stern, or could be made to work?)

#9092 9 months ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

How many would be interested in a repro set of the SEI coin door trim set? 2 or the 3 hole option.

Heck yeah!!

The coin door bezel (admittedly a more difficult part to make) would be nice to have on the market too…

#9095 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I prefer the two-hole style that did not provision for the Susan B. Anthony dollar.

I always kinda liked the Susan B. version since it makes it that much more of a time capsule…small matter though.

3 weeks later
#9308 8 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Always something to learn.

This is a good time for you to read Vid’s Guide to Rebuilding Flippers.
You should order a rebuild kit and do this throughly. Most flippers are well past their life expectancy, and even ones that have been rebuilt are often rebuilt poorly. It’s a great fundamental skill to learn early on.

3 weeks later
#9445 7 months ago

1) those apron decals look great. I've been using a Silhouette cutter for airbrush masks for years now, can't believe this never occurred to me to try, lol.
I've been wanting to give my Stars apron a proper facelift since day one owning it, and had figured I'd make stencils and use auto paint. Wondering now if this isn't the simpler option. Has anyone tried burying them in clear?

2) I've been asked about chrome plating the side rails on a wide body classic Stern. The ones on there now aren't bad but are just wavy and dented enough that I think chroming them even with a ton of prep will look pretty bad. I am just assuming nobody makes repros of wide body rails, but figured I should check with the forum here first....?

#9448 7 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Pinball Life sells replacement wide body rails for Classic Stern.

Oh awesome, I had just assumed these weren't available, duh. Thanks Daane!

#9452 7 months ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I cleared over decals on my star gazer apron. It came ok. I would have done it differently though.

I was thinking of using semi gloss clear, since high gloss accentuates the build up. I suppose if someone really wanted to go crazy you could build up and sand out but that seems like a stupid amount of work (and material) for not much improvement in the end. Just thinking in terms of protecting the vinyl against lifting or scratches.

#9455 7 months ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Thoughts on where I should start? Repin? Does Marco have that particular molex? (It’s a 24 I believe)

You don’t need to replace the Molex block, just re-pin the wires one at a time and be sure you’re not mixing them up. You’ll need a Molex pin extractor, I’d have to look to see if those are .062 or .093, but it’s good to have both in your tool kit. And always keep a stash of M and F pins around!

#9472 7 months ago

I love using auto paint and primer, really have to suit up for it but it’s the absolute best.

You might want to try using semi-gloss topcoat. Doesn’t highlight the surface imperfections while still providing surface protection, and looks closer to factory finish (and doesn’t show off all your fingerprints perpetually, lol.) First time I used it I was totally sold.

#9476 7 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

What's enough auto paint to do one run outta curiosity?

Maybe $300-400? A quart of each color is more than enough, but you should also use auto primer so that the paint “bites in” chemically, and you need to use an automotive clear coat. All of that stuff is expensive, and I personally would not use it if I didn’t have a dedicated spray booth setup. It’s some of the most hazardous chemistry you can buy. The finisher I learned from really got very serious when I started asking him about using these products.

#9477 7 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But I am going to block sand this and lay on some more clear,

If you can get it sanded level or close to it, just go through some grits until you get a good semi-gloss appearance (stop short of polishing.)

#9482 7 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Although, for me, rattle can clear is not the best option. It is hard to get good wet coats of paint over a large surface. I had probs with dry spots and banding with rattle can clear.

Agreed. I wouldn’t want to try to put down a base coat (background color) using cans. Also, even if I use a big trigger add on, I can feel carpal tunnel syndrome knocking at the door. HVLP eliminates that, and lays down a more even coat as well.

In theory you could use enamel paints in an HVLP gun if you can find the colors you want in quarts. Rustoleum colors are really nice. But I personally still prefer the immediate drying of the automotive paints, and the bite the paint layers have on each other. You have to peel the stencils off immediately, but I haven’t had any problems with torn edges. On places where I had to lay it on heavier (yellow over blue on Gottlieb Spirit), I knocked down the edges just slightly with very fine sandpaper. Once it was cleared, the surface felt really smooth, and again, the semi-gloss clear pushed back any surface imperfections. The result is really professional, and much easier to get that result than my previous enamel painted efforts.

#9498 7 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have worked with fiberglass a lot but have never done a resin repair.

Give it a try next time, I’ve rebuilt blown out plywood and badly damaged corners using it and it’s pretty great stuff. I build a dam using prefinished plywood (waxed paper would work as well if you don’t have PF ply around.) Then just pour in the resin. Sometimes it takes a couple of applications (the material will find its way through e small cracks, so stuffing them or taping them off is key.) Break down the dam, and you have a solid, hard, durable block of material. I agree, bondo isn’t up to rebuilding a corner. But I’ve been impressed with fiberglass resin.

Not a knock on your technique here, just wanted to put in a word for the technique as I’ve had great success with it!

#9515 7 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are you using the resin from a fiberglass kit? Or some other type of resin kit? Do you mix in threads of fiberglass to give strength to the resin?

I use the stuff you can commonly purchase at the hardware store, Bondo brand, comes in a can, you probably don’t want to spring for the big gallon container of it, lol.

You can buy fiberglass mesh, which I do keep around to use on larger repairs. It’s the sort of thing you have to remind yourself is OK to have looking like a total disaster before you sand it out. This is even more true if you use “Kitty Hair” (fiberglass resin with chopped up fiberglass hairs mixed in.) It’s another really good product (excellent for reinforcing the bottom edges of the plywood cabinet.) Butvtheres no elegant way to apply it. Make a mess, sand it out later, and repeat as necessary.

I often end up using a tiny bit of Bondo or spot putty to fill small dips and voids, but as gdonovan showed above, if you do the “pour it in” method, the results are often very clean and need no additional work past sanding.

Rebuilding corners with this stuff is super satisfying. I’ve used it on damaged playfields as well, it’s a great solution.

#9516 7 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

And then I will be ready for winter: Finish Nine Ball, build Seawitch, and assemble my Cheetah play field.

That sounds *dreamy.*

#9517 7 months ago

Personally, I don’t mind seeing some wood grain in the cabinet. It’s made of plywood! Info try to get any gouges filled in, and I *do not* want to see visible patchiness where bondo was applied and not sanded out fully.

I’ll out in another plug for semi-gloss clear here: it’s such a PITA to restore an old beater cabinet to begin with, and the plywood they used was (from defensible reasoning for the needs of the industry) not the best quality. Using low-gloss clear pushed back the visibility of surface imperfections, and looks closer to stock, to boot. If you have a really challenging cabinet you’re trying to reclaim, the *flat* clear is even better at hiding defects (you have to be OK with the color dulling slightly as a trade off.) One could argue that the flat clear actually looks even closer to stock than the low-gloss does.

(As always: not trying to tell anybody what they ought to do. But I’ve used these finishes on cabinets and have been really pleased at the result, and to my surprise I have t seen others discuss these options.)

3 weeks later
#9718 6 months ago
Quoted from splattii:

I have a Meteor, Lightning and Galaxy. I enjoy them all, probably Meteor the most, but Lightning is my only multi level game.

Don’t do this.

All three of these machines have excellent secondary rule sets now, and should not be parted out just because the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Buying you were going to sacrifice a machine, Meteor had the biggest production run.

You can source a lot of parts new and pick up used ones on Pinside or eBay. Find a beater “Lectronimo” or something like that if you need an old cabinet. Don’t destroy any of those three excellent classics for the sake of a scratch build.

#9722 6 months ago
Quoted from splattii:

I prefer the soundtrack on the original Galaxy more than this mish-mash of random top 40 songs it has now.

You realize that there is an alternate soundtrack setting in Galaxy?

#9745 6 months ago

+1 for Beehive.
I put a Stars 2.0 playfield in this winter and it is just beautifully made.
Mike does a great job, and yes, one man shop, he’s totally doing this as a labor of love while holding down a full time job. Plus the guy broke his leg this winter and couldn’t get downstairs to his shop, a significant setback.
If you can wait and keep in mind that Beehive is a hobbyist making quality products for other hobbyists, you’ll be rewarded for your patience.

2 weeks later
#9915 5 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

It may be possible...

Looks to me like a spot where the mag switch could be glued underneath the wire support?

#9947 5 months ago

I’ve been collecting parts for 2 years for a Nine Ball, because I was dismayed to look up for a moment and see that a $1,000 machine in 2018 was suddenly a $6,000 machine in 2021.

Of course, by the time I buy all the stuff you need to buy, it’ll probably come in at several thousand anyway, but at that point I will have a basically new machine. I plan to build the cabinet myself, use a repro playfield and backglass, and probably just buy new boards and LED displays.

For game specific parts, I’ve been pretty lucky so far. Some are being made (like the spinner arm), but others were eBay scores. I traded for wiring harnesses, but kinda regret that because it would have been educational to try making a harness from scratch. I picked up a F2K drop target bank awhile ago, as well as a 1-drop target assembly. Was also able to source 2 3-bank assemblies online. If I was to start over, I would consider putting Bally banks in, I’m not a purist. In a game that doesn’t use that long 8-bank, I’d consider using Williams drops, because I like the feel of those, and I like the idea of watching purists lose their minds at a pinball show.

Anyhow. I know how much work it is to do a build, and have no illusions about this being a quick or easy job. No idea when I’ll ever find the time, and I’m kicking myself for not having bought that one at White Rose when I could have…

#9966 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You could always sell it and build one

I would be more invested in making a harness if I had more time available. It would really be a valuable learning experience, I have no doubt!

#9967 5 months ago

Re: Piano wire - I was able to buy a lifetime supply of .93 wire from a seller on Amazon.

Probably could buy thinner stuff as well. I have a shipping tube in the shop that has a large quantity of 3’ long pieces, but what I really need to do is bite the bullet and buy a really good bending rig. The little $8 ones they sell at Marco can do some basic bends for guides but I’d like to be able to do better work and feel more in control.

2 weeks later
#10142 5 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Just thinking last night - you know what the world needs? Not peace and love. A classic stern festival, with multiple copies of each game, tourneys, and awards for best resto.
A guy can dream.

I would be *so* down for that. OMG.

1 week later
#10237 4 months ago

Well, it is 12/1 and I promised to be done with the new Star Gazer build.

That is a very nice looking machine. Everything is ship shape. Someone is sure to grab that up quickly!

#10246 4 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

In a pinch, you can rest the play field on the slingshot brackets.

This is what I do. Be careful that the brackets are seated well on the lockdown receiver, otherwise you can have a nasty slam necessitating replacing sling switches or solenoids. (A lesson a person really should only need to learn once, unless you’re me, lol.)

I have fantasized about figuring out a way to use those nice WPC playfield slides and brackets on older pins. Those things are just fantastic. But I’ll take the simplicity of Bally/Stern over that horrid single pivot point used on Sys11 and DE games. That’s horrid.

#10251 4 months ago

I have really thought about squeezing these somewhere under a couple of my playfields.

Sure would be an elegant solution!
Now to come up with something that allows the playfield to slide gracefully forward without dropping off those metal z-brackets and having to baby it out when you need to clean or service it. Seriously considering just using wooden rails with teflon tape on this Iron Maiden machine. Make it *easy* to work on and difficult to break something…

3 weeks later
#10346 3 months ago

I just completed a full restoration on a Classic Stern Iron Maiden machine. I’d only ever seen one once before, at the home of a collector friend, and only played maybe one game on it. The scuttlebutt seemed to be that it didn’t have such good game play, but I tend to assume that most games actually were fun when they were new but have simply not been maintained well/have gotten so neglected that they need more than just maintenance at this point in order to be fun again.

When this machine showed up at my shop, it was in a state. The lower cabinet was a total goner, and while the back box might have been salvageable, I didn’t want to spend as much time reclaiming it as I would just building another from scratch.

The owners wanted something special for the cabinet rather than the generic Stern logo they were using toward the end. Mike Lund did me a solid by designing *and prepping* new stencils for me. He did a great job and it really gives the cabinet ick greater character.

I’ll do a more in depth post about it in its own thread, but here are some beauty shots.

IMG_3124 (resized).jpegIMG_3124 (resized).jpegIMG_3125 (resized).jpegIMG_3125 (resized).jpegIMG_3128 (resized).jpegIMG_3128 (resized).jpegIMG_3133 (resized).jpegIMG_3133 (resized).jpegIMG_3135 (resized).jpegIMG_3135 (resized).jpegIMG_3130 (resized).jpegIMG_3130 (resized).jpegIMG_3131 (resized).jpegIMG_3131 (resized).jpegIMG_3114 (resized).jpegIMG_3114 (resized).jpegIMG_3123 (resized).jpegIMG_3123 (resized).jpegIMG_3122 (resized).jpegIMG_3122 (resized).jpegIMG_3121 (resized).jpegIMG_3121 (resized).jpegIMG_3112 (resized).jpegIMG_3112 (resized).jpegIMG_3118 (resized).jpegIMG_3118 (resized).jpegIMG_3120 (resized).jpegIMG_3120 (resized).jpeg
#10350 3 months ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Sick restore!
What's the tl;dr on gameplay? Looks less clunky than Lightning at least..

1) having restored 2 Lightning machines, I can tell you that the issue with that game isn’t playfield layout, it’s a lousy rule set. I loaned one out to Dick Hamill and once he wrote new code for it, the machine became one of the most popular and competitive machines at my tournament hangs!

2) Gameplay on IM is really cool. You have to spell IRON MAIDEN using spots and rollovers in order to start Multiball. Gathering all those letters is a big risk challenge; the rightmost spot target will award all of IRON or MAIDEN if you hit it at the right moment. The drop target award is collected by clearing the bank and then hitting the opposite playfield’s center drop target - so you have to play both playfields in sequence.

Only kind of jenky thing is that the 3-bank of drops mainly is there to award “bonus seconds” at the end of the game, and due to the way the layout works, it’s hard to make those count for much of anything. I could see a revised code set making an already very interesting game really spectacular.
The machine has good shots, the ranks are satisfying, it demands judicious nudging skills if you’re gonna stay alive for very long, and it looks cooler than hell. The pricing on these is through the roof, and I don’t really see how that’s justified when other awesome Sterns are available so much more affordably, but if you get a chance to play one of these in good condition, you’re in for a treat. It’s really too bad that the artwork of the classic Stern era has never really come back, they are hands down the most attractive machines to my eye.

#10351 3 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Would you please share your method for lighting up the plastics?

There’s no method about it particularly; I use Comet 2SMD frosted lens pure white bulbs as a default, unless somebody specifically wants warm white. To my eye, they make the colors pop better and increase visibility. So far the owners I’ve worked for have agreed!

The plastics, BTW, were made for me by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum - I’m so glad I was able to sub out that part of the job!
As with many older games, the rear plastics had cracked and been glued and taped back together. The printing on the new set is significantly darker than the original plastic set, but once installed it really looked sharp. The deeper greys and darker colors work very well, as you can see!

#10353 3 months ago

I think I've seen NOS backglasses listed somewhere in the not too distant past if you look. Those look pretty cracked out, especially considering the rest of your fine work.

Yep, the owners have new glass waiting - but they’re in TX and I’m in MA, so I didn’t see the point of shipping the glasses and potentially putting those at risk just for the sake of nicer pics.

That whole scenario on the right side...

In general, I am not a fan of wide body pins from any era. I don’t see where they usually gain you a more fun gameplay experience, and even legendary games like TZ and IJ feel to me like they would have been more fun without their gimmicky mini-playfields.

It is true, the locking setup takes up most of the wide body space, and once you get Multiball…you just have Multiball. And not for long, either, lol.
I’d love to drop this off with Dick for new code. There’s something perversely satisfying about having new code written for a machine that hardly anybody owns
But honestly, sometimes the low production numbers might have something to do with rule sets that should have been more fleshed out. They were limited by the processing power of the time, though. I love seeing untapped potential realized in these old titles. Another friend of mine has an IM, and lives not far from Dick, so maybe one day…

1 week later
#10399 3 months ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Replaced my METEOR drop targets....A little intimidating but all went smooth..Took the bank out of game much easier...Back in game. Only issue is the M never stays up on resets. Before I start guessing any ideas to adjust hopefully in game? Thx.

Your issue is very common and easy to fix.

You don’t need to use a dremel tool or in any way alter the drop bank or the playfield.
Put the special tools back in their cases:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/125#post-6734992

#10400 3 months ago

The problem is that the solenoid is on the end of the assembly and doesn’t not lift the targets consistently from one end to the other. It makes intuitive sense to tighten those set screws while the targets are down, but that’s the issue. Raise the targets up past their reset height to be sure they are all clearing the bar that they rest on when reset. I use a small clamp to hold the plunger all the way up against the coil stop, and tighten the set screws while it is in that position. This way, the tabs that need to engage the metal bar will come up over it by a healthy margin, like a full 1/16” or more, rather than just barely clearing it.
When the target is not raised high enough, it will drop on reset because it either never made it up to the point where the tab hangs into the bar, or it just barely made it and then slipped off. The longer the drop target bank, the more critical this setup becomes.

It takes a bit of fiddling, definitely do this with the bank on the workbench, but once it’s done, it’s DONE. No need to tweak or alter the bank, no need for stronger springs, none of it. I’d be curious to talk to someone who worked on the assembly line back in the day to find out what their process was like, we could all learn a lot.

1 week later
#10410 3 months ago

That Multiball trough design is terrible. Also the design on Lightning, Iron Maiden, etc.

Would be a worthy subject for some
Sort of new hardware, optos - *something* better than the jenky design it has from factory.

#10424 3 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Your thoughts, please.

…make your video public…?

3 weeks later
#10478 68 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

The laser etch is a cool effect; on the bottom you can't really see it with the light off. Light comes on and bam, it pops

That’s completely brilliant! Wish this had come along when I was working on Lightnj g a couple years ago, I would have definitely jumped on it. Excellent mod!

1 week later
#10536 60 days ago

I would add that, if you are using old boards, it really only makes sense to redo the actual pin rows on the board while you are at this. Corrosion, failing plating, but most of all cracked solder joints.

Yes, you can re-flow the connectors, but with a good desoldering station you can pull the entire row and replace with fresh pins AND give it a proper solder job for only marginally more effort. (Of course, you need a desoldering station to do this safely and efficiently, but once you have one, you’ll find yourself using it not just for board work.)

Like I say all the time - these components are 40+ years old and were intended to last for maybe 3-4 years. They’re all on borrowed time, so investing in the cheap, relatively easy stuff is always a good idea.

Obviously the replacement boards don’t need this, but it won’t hurt to do this on your original sound board.

#10540 59 days ago

I use an AOYUE Int474A station.
It’s simple and cheap, I think I paid around $130 for it. Works beautifully. I use balls of coarse steel wool for filter replacements and keep it clean. Total workhorse. Eliminates a lot of barriers to doing a more thorough job.

Also makes it much easier to do solder work on old coils where hideous work was previously performed - just suck out all that crusty old solder and start with a fresh, clean coil lug.

1 week later
#10560 49 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Sadly no, they are too short…

Might be a nice project for somebody with a 3D printer. You’ll get resolution ridges, but if you replaced them all they would at least match and presumably be less brittle…

#10588 45 days ago
Quoted from JakePG:

What's your guys' process when picking up a classic? Do you replace only things that need it, or do you usually go ahead and replace all the switches, coil sleeves/stops, flipper rebuild, etc...

Given that the machines are 40 years old and were build to last 3-4 years, I go over everything.

This is an absolutist mentality, and bound to be unpopular. But I’ve seen so many things that were broken or were just about to break or that were working but just plain filthy, that I have taken to breaking everything down and rebuilding it.

This is especially unpopular when it comes to those delightful drop target banks, lol.

I replace all the GI sockets with new ones, all insert lamps with Yoppsicle lights.
I inspect all solenoid solder and redo a lot of those connections. Also inspect all switch soldering, as those are very often frayed and literally hanging by a thread. Ones that aren’t visibly frayed are often pretty brittle. The last game that was sent to me for restoration I didn’t mess around, just re-soldered everything in the machine. There’s no sense fixing only what is visibly broken, and then having gameplay issues down the line when some other wire lets go.

Old mechs are so dirty, I just like getting them out of there and cleaned up if for no other reason than that it will reduce wear on the machine overall (less dirt to make its way onto the playfield, for example.)

This is just me, I totally get where most owners wouldn’t go to all that trouble. Old sterns are nice in that it’s easy to remove the playfield and they aren’t crammed full of stuff like an 80s Williams - so finding problems and fixing them piecemeal is comparatively doable. But personally I’d rather go through comprehensively and do everything, and have it bulletproofed to the best of my ability. As a bonus, if you ever decide on a playfield swap, the heavy lifting has all been done already. I did that with my Meteor and it was like “oh wow, half the work is done already!”

Also, +1 on installing a new rectifier board right out of the gate. The DIY kits are $30 and they’re terrific.

#10594 44 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Except the drop banks. If those are working well and not bricking, just LEAVE THEM THE FUCK ALONE, lol.

I first got into doing drops because of broken targets, then realized how awful the standard available replacements are and started using Swinks (which are outstanding.)

The drop banks are often seriously dirty.
The Stern mechs are fussy, yes, but there are really only one or two things you have to bear in mind when rebuilding them.
I saw a Pinsider had done a step-by-step on breaking down and reassembling coin doors; one of these days perhaps I’ll do one of those for target banks. Knock on wood, I have had success so far with drop banks working properly without having to go back and do additional fussing. (Of course, now that I’ve said that, I’ll probably have a big headache when I go to do the next one, lol.)

1 week later
#10630 33 days ago

Nine Ball scratch builders: I’m working on a parts list for my project, and will probably want to hit you up for more info along the way, but first question is: are you all using original parts for the ball lock kickout?

I’m not a purist and would be fine with using Williams mechanics here (presumably a Williams kickout saucer as well.) I figure it’s a bit of a stretch to try to find this as an eBay score, whereas Williams parts are readily available. Seems like that orientation would still fit in the space behind the big drop bank….

I’ve hunted down a F2K long drop bank, 3-banks, and a single drop mechanism, as well as the ball trough parts. So I think this is maybe the last game/brand specific thing I need outside of somehow rigging up the spinner…

IMG_3355 (resized).jpegIMG_3355 (resized).jpeg
#10644 31 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

then cut a small block of wood, drill a couple of holes and screw that down to the apron area. This will support the broken bracket. And no one will see how you did it since all is hidden under the apron.

One could also use a small bar of aluminum or other metal and JB Weld a new Finn the rest of the body. New strip of sheet metal, 1/4” square rod, run the new sheet metal fin longer than the rod so you have a place for screw holes. This would necessitate drilling new holes in the playfield, yeah, but probably would hold up well.

Or, find a helpful soul who has a spare. But if one doesn’t turn up, there are options.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 169.00
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethbenjamin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=sethbenjamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.