New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 225496)

Stern Electronics Club (1977-1984).

By Mitch

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,844 posts
  • 254 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 135 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,232 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 2.46.16 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 2.42.58 PM (resized).png
Stern_Parts_Catalog_switches2.jpg
Stern_Parts_Catalog_switches1.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 9.06.59 AM (resized).png
Williams_Parts_Catalogue_1980_Switches.pdf (PDF preview)
20200920_154028 (resized).jpg
IMG_0028 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0030 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0029 (resized).jpeg
7526F078-1B7A-455F-8346-2BC38C51F830 (resized).jpeg
starsplas01.jpg
stars01.jpg
september-homepage2020.jpg
FCBA5F6C-29FD-4B41-B6E8-8D560D3F3B2B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200905_163714329 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (2 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (2 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (2 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (1 year ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (1 year ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (8 months ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (8 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tsskinne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 2 years ago

Seawitch in decent shape went for $2800 on eBay last week over on the east coast. Star Gazers seem cheaper to build than to buy nowadays. Quicksilvers...they just don't come up. I passed on buying just a complete playfield a few years ago for like $900ish and regret it, another pinsider did get it though and I believe was able to get a working game out of it.

#101 2 years ago

Don't leave out Dragonfist from this rare Stern discussion now.

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I've heard about "alternate ROMs" for Dragonfist, Iron Maiden, NB. Would love to find where to get them.

Different from the roms on IPDB for Dragonfist?

3 weeks later
#381 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

picked up a few project sterns this past weekend. Not looking to sell anything at this point. Just thought I would share pics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If there were any extra just Stern aprons out there I still need one for my Star Gazer project unless you are making those in the near future!

#383 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I would love to make Stern aprons. Looks like mitch needs a correct one for a quicksilver. Looks like he's got a meteor in there.
Trouble is, there are decals available for these. So, people usually paint/apply and call it good. This has kept my requests for repros low.
I think I have enough hands raised to justify metal tooling. I'll talk to merfeldma again to see if this can happen.

I have your Fathom and centaur and would love to continue to support your efforts.

#407 1 year ago
Quoted from smileymatthew:

So just as tough of the rest of those. Any idea on Split Second?

I love split second. I think it is fun to shoot and hard to earn the multiball.

#419 1 year ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Of all the times I've screwed around with PAPA's Split Second I never figured out the multi ball. New goal for the PPO in two weeks.

I probably played 75-100 games on it during Pinburgh this year. I started the multiball twice. One time the two ball and another time the 3 ball.

1 week later
#501 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, the ball is 1 1/16" diameter. Wire ball guides are elevated 1/2". I think there is room to make a 1/2"-5/8" high ramp and not cause conflict with the glass. The ramp would need to be long enough to make a gradual climb and not shoot the ball into the glass.
My plate is full until I return from Ft. Worth on Nov. 5th. When I get back I can carve one up from a piece of wood and try it out. If it works, one could be made of a block of dark blue acrylic and located with a couple of screws and removed so it would not be permanent. There are lots of possibilities here.
Here is the reply I got from a Stern tech support guy.
" Parts are available for all new games unless the part is only used on a limited edition game. As far as I know this game has not been announced."

Interesting to not the shot back into the shooter lane looks like it will just fall back out on The Beatles due to the one way gat that is there.

2 weeks later
#572 1 year ago

A bit of troubleshooting help...

I bought brand new flipper mechs for my Dragonfist from Pinball Life. I installed the right side last night. I moved the wires over 1 by 1 from the old mech to the new mech. I realized quickly that the flipper was getting weaker. Lifted the playfield and found the coil was hot. Shut game off, let it cool a few minutes. Double checked the EOS switches and all my soldering connections, seemed okay. Tried playing again, this time each time I flipped the right side the lights in the game flickered and after about 4-5 flips the game just shut off completely. Now it won't do anything. No LED comes on at all with the MPU, nothing happens at all on the game at the moment.

Any ideas what just happened?

#582 1 year ago

So it was the furthest fuse to the right on the rectifier board, it tested okay but swapping it out made the game come back to life. My right flipper is still causing the lights to flicker, I only gave it 2 flips this time before shutting it off. I double checked my wiring from the original and its definitely correct. I tried swapping the EOS wires and no change. I replaced the diodes on the coil itself (the coil is brand new from Pinball Life), any other ideas?

#585 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Good question. I got a defective coil from PBR one time. Maybe the coil is defective.

I'll give it a shot after school and see what happens.

#590 1 year ago
Quoted from fissionch1ps:

Solid advice. It could be stuck in high voltage and is just toasting everything.

Yeah I don't set the EOS until the flipper is installed, but good to double check it.

1 month later
#704 1 year ago

Just replaced my rectifier board in Dragonfist last night too haha.

#706 1 year ago

Haha I've got the shot down pretty well on mine, gets a nice 40-50 spins most shots. I mean I certainly don't hit it every time, but definitely every game, the hard part is getting that spinner value raised to really make it worth it.

#712 1 year ago
Quoted from statictrance:

The guy that makes them is a friend of mine and his direct website is below. it was funny - I posted here for a solution, someone said "hey go here" and as soon as I saw the site I had a real "hey, I know that guy" moment.
Anyway... there are a number of boards to help alleviate the old and failing stern bulb holders. He mentioned he may do Split Second if the demand is there (and since I have one he can do the measurements and prototyping on). Not sure it makes sense since they are just individual sockets and can easily be replaced.
https://pinballreplacementparts.com/collections/all?page=3

I'm getting a split second and would buy one.

I also need one for dragonfist to be made, it is a straight piece should be pretty easy but man my bulbs/sockets are annoying me on that part.

2 weeks later
#744 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Christmas eve meteor repinning.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I thought I was the only one who sat on games like that!

2 weeks later
#814 1 year ago

If you guys haven't seen Weebly now has an all in one board similar to Altek and cheaper. A friend just informed me yesterday, check it out!
https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html
https://nvram.weebly.com/uploads/5/4/2/5/54255141/mpu_combo_info-12.01.18.pdf

#820 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm going to be needing some boards in near future.
The Weebly products look interesting and pricing is more friendly. And I know barakandi is a pinsider.
Alltek boards have the lifetime guarantee. Does that lifetime guarantee make the Alltek products worth the extra money?
What kind of warranty do the Weebly products have?

Don't know about guarantee but weebly has been incredibly helpful with support via PM or email any time I have used his products. Faster response than any other pinball product or company I have dealt with.

1 month later
#1084 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Was thinking about it this some more. How would you setup the SS versions of Hot Tip, or Grand Prix? How about the EM version of Mata Hari?

I stick hard and fast to the 3 ball SS, 5 ball EM mantra.

1 week later
#1201 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

All are now SOLD

Whoever bought the big game I may have a playfield for you. Feel free to reach out.

#1231 1 year ago

Split Second has plastic as does Dragonfist.

1 week later
#1298 1 year ago

If anyone else out there with a Split Second could help me by taking some detailed photos of your 4 connectors that go to the MPU I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

1 week later
#1342 1 year ago

TPF score of the day

5E58EFCC-BF05-459E-AA4D-2F726D6E2F57 (resized).jpeg
#1348 1 year ago

Got the two sets for $20 and a third spare ring Included

3 weeks later
#1452 1 year ago

Now that is a sweet find!

2 months later
#1799 1 year ago

Guy told me it was mine for $600. Shortly after he said he took $750, so thanks for whoever did that greatly appreciated.

1 month later
#2045 1 year ago

Anyone out there have a lockdown bar they can sell that will fit a Seawitch?

#2055 1 year ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Had no stainless spares laying around, so I had a roached DE bar that I had stripped and powdercoated dark blue along with the legs. I love the look of it, and I'm not big on powdercoating matching trim work. I would never do the coin door or siderails. If you want a pic, LMK.

Thanks man, I would love to see a picture. I checked your website yesterday looking for the part haha. Feel free to PM or email tsskinne@gmail.com

Thank you.

#2060 1 year ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Oh, it's not for sale. It's on my personal Seawitch.[quoted image]

Oh yeah I just wanted to see how it looked. That does look nice thank you.

2 weeks later
#2186 1 year ago

I had a Nvram.weebly board in my dragonfist with similar behavior, wouldn't get past the second flash. Swapped in altek board and it was back up and running. I haven't bothered to take a look at the nvram board yet.

I do have weird behavior from my upper right drop target bank. If I knock down say just the lowest drop target, but don't clear that bank and then I drain. On the next ball even though the targets all reset if I hit just the top two the bank will act as if though it has been cleared and reset and award me the bonus X for that bank if it is lit. It could be any of the drops in that bank as well not specific to the lowest one, and it doesn't seem to do it all the time either. I have tried different versions of the code, different boards, my switches are well adjusted and I've replace the diodes on all of those switches as well...

I'm guessing I'm just left with connectors at this point but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience by chance.

#2226 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Hmm that might be a software bug I've noticed something similar before on DF. It's probably not clearing the flags correctly. Does it ever happen in a multiplayer game and if so does it stay on the same *player*?

Good question. I’ll check it. I think it traveled from player to player but typically I play it alone so unsure.

#2236 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Another successful stream with cloud7 (turbografx7)
Check out Seawitch https://www.twitch.tv/videos/482095553
We are doing a whole series of my collection, so please follow to get notified for the next one.

Very nice stream man! Any chance you are ever going to reproduce those stern aprons like you did for the bally games? I have your Fathom and Centaur and they are just amazing! My Seawitch and Stargazer could use the same love.

1 week later
#2265 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I stand corrected. So, if I have this right, you can take a Stern Flight 2000 wide body lock bar and latch it down to a DE wide body. It will be a little long on the ends but can be attached?
But to try and latch a DE wide body bar to a Flight 2000 can not work because the DE wide body is narrower?
So, if you wish to have a new play field glass custom cut for your Stern wide body you cannot use the same play field glass on the DE wide body; The DE will also have to have a glass custom cut to yet another different size.
I assumed that Stern and DE wide body cabinets were the same size. Talk about mistaken assumptions.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

Odd note but I tried switching lockdown bars between my seawitch and my dragonfist and they don't work. Dragon fist works okay on seawitch, but the seawitch one is too narrow for dragonfist by just a hair...it is really weird.

#2269 12 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well well well [quoted image]

Oooo nice

#2278 12 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Shit, he even delivered it
I'd say i love it when that happens but this might be the only time so it's a little new.

Haha I saw that post and figured this is where it came from. It sounded like he was keeping it bassed on his initial post or I would have inquired about it as well. Maybe we need a classic stern row at PATZ next year?

1 month later
#2369 11 months ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Just checked my Bally and yep, there it is alright.
Never noticed it really as it is rather inconspicuous.

You’ll notice it when you restore a cabinet and then don’t install one back in and open your coin door into your fresh paint job ... I mean probably

1 week later
#2398 10 months ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Just for the record.....
There are now Tech Charts available for all the M-100 games.
You can find them in the Tech Chart section or the Stern Electronics section on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl
I also added all the Tech Chart information to the Pinwiki site, http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Stern
Just click on the game name.

Thank you

3 weeks later
#2482 10 months ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Yup. Pinball Life has the whole mech. Great value compared to buying a rebuild kit really. They will put whatever strength coil you want in them. Was a no brained for me as my whole mechs were swapped in from a bally.

Yep I've done that on my last few games, either Bally's or Stern's with the full pinball life mechs, for the price it makes complete sense to me.

3 weeks later
#2561 9 months ago

Anyone need/want a Stern Seawitch reproduction playfied?

F2EBF43C-7ED0-432D-A59D-1BA22D024AFD (resized).jpeg668846FE-2091-4B2C-92D8-D446D16EF1D9 (resized).jpegD210F93B-D9D3-452F-85ED-375DA2B91445 (resized).jpeg8DF5DA1A-E808-4672-B633-7737D207C233 (resized).jpeg91087C20-020C-464B-87CC-DE21FD14970A (resized).jpeg
#2566 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Maybe. That's one of John's white arrow play fields. You just got it. Is is clear or unclear?
Don't you like it?

Yeah sold Seawitch. New owner didn’t want to do the swap, I don’t have need for it and stranger things coming I’m going for a newer stern.

1 month later
#2716 7 months ago
Quoted from getadam:

Hey Dragonfist fans. I found something interesting today. I was studying the original Dragonfist flyer (yeah, I'm a total pinball geek) and discovered something interesting. In the flyer version of the game, the spinner awarded 1,000 points per lit multiplier, not just 200 like in the production version of the game.
You'll see below a zoomed in version of the flyer playfield and right above the left flipper it says "SPINNER SCORES 1000". The production version says 200.
I think this would have made for an even more exciting game if they left it like this flyer version. I'd be inclined to have the code changed but then it wouldn't match my production playfield.[quoted image]

Sharpie will fix that! Jk

1 week later
#2726 7 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Can't wait till they are released and I can order waaaay too many one night when I'm drunk!

Sweet I’ll wait until you do it and bum some from you. I’ll send you a bottle of booze before PATZ.

2 weeks later
#2764 6 months ago

Coil stops pulled out of a 1981 Dragonfist yesterday...

dragonfist coil stops (resized).jpg
#2766 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The button for the copper one has enough meat on it that you can cinch it back down with some hammer taps. I'm not sure about the silver ones.

I just replaced them with new ones, the game was due for them I'm sure.

1 month later
#3061 5 months ago

Add one more Star Gazer to the world!

2C9C5742-8DAD-41E2-A2DB-E7DD040221D5 (resized).jpeg
#3063 5 months ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I really should get on building a quicksilver...

I agreed you should. Check out djblouw thread on his, he is almost done with his. I still have to start the cabinet for this one.

#3071 5 months ago

Hey fellow classic Stern Electronics lovers! I'm not working as much and my location is shut down so in my spare time I've been trying to find some other ways to occupy myself and bring in a little income if I can. I came up with the idea to design some lapel pins based off of my favorite stern electronics machines and figured that a few of you would probably also like a set. I ended up just doing a run of 100 pins, and I'm keeping 1 set for myself so there are 99 available. I will be shipping all orders the week of May 4th so if you want some go ahead and use the pinside shop that I set up. If you don't no big deal, but they probably make a great gift for your fellow pinheads

Hope you like them, have a good one. -Tommy

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1255-tommy-s-pins/03710-stern-electronics-collector-lapel-pins

Lapel pin ad (resized).png
1 week later
#3116 4 months ago
Quoted from Mitch:

What do you see wrong with this playfeild (not the wear) and why would someone do this?[quoted image]

Spinners?

#3150 4 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It is wood. That would be an easy problem to overcome. But nice to know.
But you do make me question this: Are the back glass size for Bally and Stern the same?

They are not. I recently discovered Bally backglasses are slightly taller. At least my old frontier backglass wouldn’t fit into my Stern Pinball head, but my Stars backglass did

#3194 4 months ago

Has anyone out there vectorized or made for a vinyl cutter the stern apron art? Specifically for the star gazer era of apron art.

1 week later
#3232 4 months ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Ladies and Gents... your decals are finally going out this week. I just PMd everybody that reserved them with payment info [quoted image]

If you got spares let me know I’m in for some!

1 week later
#3325 3 months ago

For you Classic Stern lovers out there we’re back with our second series of Stern Electronics inspired Pins! Series 2 is based on outer space and we think you will love them! Great collectors swag, tournament prizes, or giveaways.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1255-tommy-s-pins/03758-stern-electronics-collector-lapel-pins-outer-space-series

#3334 3 months ago

Not sure if this has been shared yet but Pinball Life is now making classic stern side rails.

https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-stainless-steel-side-rail-set.html

I just ordered a set to use on my star gazer build. Let everyone know how they fit.

#3337 3 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is a tip. Forget the nails. Get some #4 1/2" long stainless sheet metal screws. They look nice. It is long shot that you would ever need to remove the rail, but if you ever need to remove the rail you will be glad you used screws instead of nails.
I got the idea from HEP.

Yep that was my plan

#3342 3 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Pop bumper cap screws work great.

Well I have a giant box of those thanks!

#3343 3 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

How are those rails different than the Bally rails PBL has carried for a while?

Flipper hole placement is my understanding but I could be wrong. I have a spare new Bally one I’ll check it out tomorrow.

2 weeks later
#3380 3 months ago

I picked up a stern Meteor over the weekend and this is how my displays are wired up. Anyone ever seen this?

DAEB6F73-F95F-4F5F-AD26-A4FAFA347ADA (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3425 87 days ago

Someone put Classic bally posts in your classic stern

1 month later
#3523 54 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Stern Ali went for $1,950 + 15% buyer's premium at the Jaybird auction just now! [quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah if I list mine it would be $2k but it does have new displays and backglass

1 week later
#3587 47 days ago

Anyone else got big game In lanes that look like this

AB336466-3AAC-4034-8A7C-EE26E8D60838 (resized).png
#3589 47 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I did not see what you were talking about at first. This BG has those little brackets in the sides that someone talked a couple of weeks ago about those brackets showing up on a sales flyer.
Can you give us some close up shots, please?

Yeah driving home with it now I’ll photograph shortly

#3627 43 days ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

I have a Nugent and a Stars and I love them both.
Looks like I may have an opportunity to purchase a (Stern) Freefall.
Any good? Value?
Terry.

Terry FreeFall is be very cool. Check out YouTube David Yopp made a cool tutorial video of the rules for that one.

4 weeks later
#3754 15 days ago
Quoted from woody76:

what is everyone doing for new legs? Using Bally?
I have a spare set I can get powder coated, but just wondering what you guys are doing.

I've just used the classic bally legs from Pinball Life.

1 week later
#3805 8 days ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

Here is a better picture. I also checked my flippers and PN is correct. Maybe I need thinner rubber?
Note: CPR Galaxy playfield would be great. [quoted image]

Beehive looks to already have a prototype done so I would suspect they will be running them soon.

#3807 8 days ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

If they do.....I’m going to have keep my Galaxy forever for how much I got into it. Great game though.

They do.

https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/coming-soon

Good old fashion way of screen printing as well, scroll down you can see the test ones.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 899.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
1,200 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Redmond, WA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
Tommy's Pins
$ 4.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 149.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Sale Pending!
Cleveland, OH
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Warren, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Renaissance, FLORIDA
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7.00
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tsskinne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside