• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 67.
#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmama:

I am looking for a Williams Space Shuttle hard top. I know this was one you originally produced. You don’t by chance have any available,do you?

Send a pm to Pinsider outside edge

#1052 4 years ago

Just PM’d outside edge but i thought i would share this absolutely terrible touch up job using magic markers on a high speed i picked up several years ago. A hardtop makeover would be a great solution!

095DE065-379A-4ADD-BB79-FBDA34B761B4 (resized).jpeg095DE065-379A-4ADD-BB79-FBDA34B761B4 (resized).jpeg
#1054 4 years ago
Quoted from swpinball:

Just PM’d outside edge but i thought i would share this absolutely terrible touch up job using magic markers on a high speed i picked up several years ago. A hardtop makeover would be a great solution![quoted image]

I have an Elektra with a matching upper playfield. Hope that they come out with a hardtop set for that upper and the lower playfield. A lot of Elektra owners need them.

#1055 4 years ago
Quoted from swpinball:

Just PM’d outside edge but i thought i would share this absolutely terrible touch up job using magic markers on a high speed i picked up several years ago. [quoted image]

I hope that your offer on this pin was also horrible...horribly low that is...

#1056 4 years ago
Quoted from swpinball:

Just PM’d outside edge but i thought i would share this absolutely terrible touch up job using magic markers on a high speed i picked up several years ago. A hardtop makeover would be a great solution![quoted image]

It's William's failed experiment for a High Speed: Paint-by-Numbers Edition™.

I heard they had a Bob Ross pin in the works, but Pin2K ultimately killed it. "And we'll add some little happy pop bumpers over here..."

#1057 4 years ago

I’m just about ready to order a hardtop as well, for this beauty I just bought for $100.

02D64DEB-EDA4-42C8-8A04-B638C4684C55 (resized).jpeg02D64DEB-EDA4-42C8-8A04-B638C4684C55 (resized).jpeg65B01BE7-AABC-474A-B2ED-582D2049D2F1 (resized).jpeg65B01BE7-AABC-474A-B2ED-582D2049D2F1 (resized).jpeg93DBDE17-9136-46CA-8B87-71AD84C6A4CA (resized).jpeg93DBDE17-9136-46CA-8B87-71AD84C6A4CA (resized).jpegB282736C-EF39-4498-AED2-82A88D37C7EA (resized).jpegB282736C-EF39-4498-AED2-82A88D37C7EA (resized).jpeg
#1058 4 years ago

I'd be in for a Xenon and a Centaur

#1059 4 years ago

FIREPOWER II please...right after Blackout!

#1060 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I’m just about ready to order a hardtop as well, for this beauty I just bought for $100. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice score! Yes, definitely a candidate for a new PF.

#1061 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Nice score! Yes, definitely a candidate for a new PF.

Yea, I just have to get it working first. Once I do that, I will start stripping it down and get one ordered.

#1062 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Yea, I just have to get it working first. Once I do that, I will start stripping it down and get one ordered.

for 100$ there arent many bad deals if its a complete pin

that will be great after the hardtop

#1063 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

How bad is it operationally wise? Major or just some much needed love?

It's painful looking at it right now. Such neglect.

#1064 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

How bad is it operationally wise? Major or just some much needed love?
It's painful looking at it right now. Such neglect.

I was pleasantly surprised. It boots and the boards are all in good shape. But it doesn't start. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, this is my busy season for repairs. But the plastics are in good shape. The unobtainable pop bumper caps are MINT! Ramp is crack free. There was a wood screw where the upper flipper should have been?? I am sure half the switches are bad. We will see in a couple weeks.

The cabinet also has some damage I MUST address. Namely the bottom of the head is destroyed.

#1065 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I was pleasantly surprised. It boots and the boards are all in good shape. But it doesn't start. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, this is my busy season for repairs. But the plastics are in good shape. The unobtainable pop bumper caps are MINT! Ramp is crack free. There was a wood screw where the upper flipper should have been?? I am sure half the switches are bad. We will see in a couple weeks.
The cabinet also has some damage I MUST address. Namely the bottom of the head is destroyed.

Sounds like a bit of work but not unreasonable.

#1066 4 years ago
Quoted from swpinball:

I give them A+ for tenacity.

#1067 4 years ago

Do you plan on running another batch of hard tops for Flash Gordon any time soon?

#1068 4 years ago

The Outside Edge web site is back up and states: "We are now taking orders for all titles, and ready to ship most of them immediately!".

#1069 4 years ago

Next Up..
8 Ball Deluxe..8)

#1070 4 years ago

Getting orders lined up for my local peeps, before I slap mine down too.

#1071 4 years ago

You guys should consider selling clear hardtops, for other machines, to protect them for years to come.

#1072 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

You guys should consider selling clear hardtops, for other machines, to protect them for years to come.

Takes time to create them and beta test and make adjustments.

#1073 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Adhesion is a problem. Unless there is a clear adhesive that could be added to the bottom of the protector this solution would be the same as the floating "lexan protector" offered by others.

I've put clear lexan protectors down on several machines and if it's not secured to playfield the pillowing effect of that thin layer of air adds the tiniest bit of friction and slows the ball. Case in point, Firepower with a simple protector- the top lock shot with any kind of slope becomes very difficult. Case #2- High Speed with a simple protector, the outer loop shot becomes almost impossible. It's a 1 out of 20 shot maybe and that's even with decreased slop.

#1074 4 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Adhesion is a problem. Unless there is a clear adhesive that could be added to the bottom of the protector this solution would be the same as the floating "lexan protector" offered by others.
I've put clear lexan protectors down on several machines and if it's not secured to playfield the pillowing effect of that thin layer of air adds the tiniest bit of friction and slows the ball. Case in point, Firepower with a simple protector- the top lock shot with any kind of slope becomes very difficult. Case #2- High Speed with a simple protector, the outer loop shot becomes almost impossible. It's a 1 out of 20 shot maybe and that's even with decreased slop.

Yea I am not a fan of a floating protector. It... for me, ruins the feel of the game.

#1075 4 years ago

I bought a playfield protector for my F-14 and removed it after a month because I got tired of particles getting under it constantly and having to try and blow them out with high pressure air which was difficult to do and often just blew particles to other locations. Then if it moves at all, it scratches the bottom of protector and there is nothing you can do about it and it looks like shit.

#1076 4 years ago

Strange, I have one on my f-14 as well and no issues at all with things getting under it or scratching. I got mine in August though and they claim the new material is thinner and better.

Still my art is messed up so would love a hardtop for it. The protector is doing well in the meantime

#1077 4 years ago

I've had a playfield protector in my EBD for nearly a year now - it "hides" rough spots in both inlanes that would hold the ball captive after trapping it with the flipper and letting go of the flipper, and it also stops the awkward directions the ball takes when running over cupped inserts. I've been very pleased with the performance! Still....looking very much forward to the EBD hardtop next month to put in the machine....if anyone wants an EBD playfield protector cheap, PM me in January.

#1078 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I bought a playfield protector for my F-14 and removed it after a month because I got tired of particles getting under it constantly and having to try and blow them out with high pressure air which was difficult to do and often just blew particles to other locations. Then if it moves at all, it scratches the bottom of protector and there is nothing you can do about it and it looks like shit.

How is that even possible? The hard top is stuck down and really not removable. The surfaces need to be clean before you install it as well.

#1079 4 years ago

Apples and oranges. He's talking about a pf protector sheet, not a Hardtop.

#1080 4 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Apples and oranges. He's talking about a pf protector sheet, not a Hardtop.

Man, my reading comprehension sucks....

Side note. Would anyone be interested in a Comet playfield with a hardtop installed?

#1081 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Man, my reading comprehension sucks....
Side note. Would anyone be interested in a Comet playfield with a hardtop installed?

How did you end up with that? It looked like your Comet thread was going to be a good one. Are you still making progress?

#1082 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

How did you end up with that? It looked like your Comet thread was going to be a good one. Are you still making progress?

I have 3 playfields. 1 good and two shot. I'm going to hard top one, but while i'm at it, doing a second one wouldn't be hard at all. If someone isn't confident installing a hard top, they might be interested. I'd rather put a good playfield back out there in a machine than have it just sit around here.

#1083 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I have 3 playfields. 1 good and two shot. I'm going to hard top one, but while i'm at it, doing a second one wouldn't be hard at all. If someone isn't confident installing a hard top, they might be interested. I'd rather put a good playfield back out there in a machine than have it just sit around here.

Sounds good. Would be great if you keep updating your thread. I always enjoy those type threads. I Hardtoppped my Comet quite a while ago, it still looks perfect. Great product! Enjoy!

#1084 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Sounds good. Would be great if you keep updating your thread. I always enjoy those type threads. I Hardtoppped my Comet quite a while ago, it still looks perfect. Great product! Enjoy!

I'll be updating it. Right now i'm disassembling and doing inventory of what's working and not working. Lots of parts to check.

#1085 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I'll be updating it. Right now i'm disassembling and doing inventory of what's working and not working. Lots of parts to check.

Sure wish you said high speed and not comet. Working on my high speed playfield is giving me serious anxiety.

#1086 4 years ago

Hi All! It is true, if you have heard. Our site is back up and rolling. Please note that the old address (www.pinballgifts.com) will still work... but we have updated our address to be www.outsideedgeproducts.com.

We thank you all for your patience this summer while we not only changed facilities, but also equipment.

Next up is Eightball Deluxe! Timing is in the next 3 weeks or so. Please be patient, and resist "Is it ready yet" emails if you can. We will announce here on Pinside and also announce on our site. When you see these things... they are ready!

Thanks much and Happy Holidays!

#1087 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All! It is true, if you have heard. Our site is back up and rolling. Please note that the old address (www.pinballgifts.com) will still work... but we have updated our address to be www.outsideedgeproducts.com.
We thank you all for your patience this summer while we not only changed facilities, but also equipment.
Next up is Eightball Deluxe! Timing is in the next 3 weeks or so. Please be patient, and resist "Is it ready yet" emails if you can. We will announce here on Pinside and also announce on our site. When you see these things... they are ready!
Thanks much and Happy Holidays!

Is it ready yet????
Sorry couldn't resist. LOL

#1088 4 years ago

Is EBD really in higher demand than SoF? Was playing my SoF last night and was telling myself, "some day...."

#1089 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Is EBD really in higher demand than SoF? Was playing my SoF last night and was telling myself, "some day...."

There were over 10K EBD made compared to under 3K SoF....

#1090 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Higher ranked game and more production for EBD. If it were my company, I'd make EBD before SoF. Better chance of ROI.

#1091 4 years ago

Completely understandable. Hopefully with Outsideedge being back in production they can start cranking out the product. I'm sure with inventory being back in stock and the fact that the product has really started to take off in popularity and favoritism towards the hobbyist they will do well. I'm just being impatient and selfish here when I want SoF. All good things...

#1092 4 years ago

Okay I have DA sanded my BK playfield to 800 grit. And I just polished the inserts to a scratch free finish with Novus 2. So how do I clean the PF to prepare for clear-coating? Obviously I dont want any crazy reaction to the clear due to the Novus.

Thanks

#1093 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Okay I have DA sanded my BK playfield to 800 grit. And I just polished the inserts to a scratch free finish with Novus 2. So how do I clean the PF to prepare for clear-coating? Obviously I dont want any crazy reaction to the clear due to the Novus.
Thanks

Just wipe it down with nafla and let it dry. Then I give it a wipe with a tack rag right before I spray.

#1094 4 years ago

Nafla = Naphtha: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Strip-Naphtha-Solvent-1-qt-Case-Of-6/189112618

You can also get it at Home Depot. There are many variations under many different names - VM&P Naphtha is the preferred among pinheads.

#1096 4 years ago

About your BK (it's been mentioned before here but it is not mentioned in the Hardtop instructions) - it is critical to clean the back of the hardtop where the inserts are located as it may not be fully clean from the factory. Otherwise reflections will look horrible at some angles.

Hardtop Jewel reflection 1024w (resized).jpgHardtop Jewel reflection 1024w (resized).jpg

The good news, it does take much of a shift in the viewing angle before it looks okay, and it looks fine in a darker room setting with the lights on/flashing.

Hardtop Jewel better reflection 1024w (resized).jpgHardtop Jewel better reflection 1024w (resized).jpg

Also, be on lookout for junk under the adhesive layer as I mentioned here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/21#post-5281304

Good luck with your clear!

#1097 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Thanks

If you have polished the inserts, do NOT clear coat it! The clear will have nothing to bite to and will lift, or ghost over time.

#1098 4 years ago

Cyclone when?

#1099 4 years ago

Flash Gordon, please!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lemont, IL
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/22?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.