• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 5 years ago

Can't wait to get mine.

1 week later
#55 5 years ago

It's simple as "All classic early solid state Bally, Stern and Williams" As long as the price for these stay reasonable they will be worth while making. If the prices get out of hand then they are not worth it.

4 months later
#305 5 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Pictures will help us. We have been contacted by a small handful of folks with this issue specific to Black Knight. It turns out there are a least 2 version of this ramp area that shipped originally. The one we built and designed from did not share this issue. Once I see these, we may be able to send out something to assist you. We should be able to come up with a solution.

2 weeks later
#372 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Space Shuttle ramps have not been made available yet. Please use EXTREME caution removing these. In some cases as fragile as eggshell.

Pretty sure Starship Fantasy has them. Both my flaps broke so was going to buy new but epoxyed them then made metal ramp flaps that are epoxyed on. Works better then new.

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I asked Jeff if he could make a stencil set for Alien Star as he doesn’t already have the artwork. He said to take an old fashioned flat bed scanner and remove the lid. Then place the scanner against the side of the cabinet and take multiple pictures of the cabinet and head. He can photoshop the images to make the art files that he needs to make a stencil kit

Contact @spyderturbo007 he has my flatbed scanner and has an Alien Star.

#398 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Is it ok to leave my hardtop sitting in the box for 6 months or so?
I was wondering if the adhesive had a shelf life I should be aware of. Sorry if this was already answered!

Good question. I won’t be able to get to mine for At least 6 months also.

1 month later
#481 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed but here is my question:
Could you guys offer the hardtops WITHOUT adhesive. I would rather have this product not adhered to the playfield personally. If removing the adhesive adds risk to the artwork underneath getting scratched maybe you could add a simple laminate on the back instead of adhesive. Anyway, please offer this!
Thank you

Quoted from snyper2099:

I agree. I would buy one for a game of mine if it did not have adhesive.

Or you could just stick the hardtop to a clear mylar, laminate, or what ever other thin plastic and then put in your game.

#495 5 years ago

Anybody with a Hardtop have pictures of this dust?

#505 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:Deleted post

Pinside is having jitters today.

#507 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

yeah it posted like 3 time on me, what the heck. Bad internet connection on my end I think

Nope, did the same thing to me today.

3 months later
#683 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Can someone tell me what the purpose of the nails are that are in the slingshot areas of some early Bally's (like the Mata Hari I put a hardtop in)? Is it just for support of the sling plastic piece or is there some sort of other functionality that it's suppose to provide? The hardtop holes don't align with where the nails were on the playfield originally. I'm thinking of just not putting the nails back in.[quoted image]

From the factory they are to support the plastics. The ones shown in your picture prevent the plastics from warping down and having the sling arm hitting it. As others have stated many ops added them for areas with high rate of stuck balls. Not needed if running #47's or LEDS.

2 weeks later
#720 4 years ago
Quoted from MysticPinball:

Bally Star Trek anyone?

I need a Bally Star Trek

6 months later
#1087 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All! It is true, if you have heard. Our site is back up and rolling. Please note that the old address (www.pinballgifts.com) will still work... but we have updated our address to be www.outsideedgeproducts.com.
We thank you all for your patience this summer while we not only changed facilities, but also equipment.
Next up is Eightball Deluxe! Timing is in the next 3 weeks or so. Please be patient, and resist "Is it ready yet" emails if you can. We will announce here on Pinside and also announce on our site. When you see these things... they are ready!
Thanks much and Happy Holidays!

Is it ready yet????
Sorry couldn't resist. LOL

1 month later
#1176 4 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

Problem would be CPR just did Harlem and are in the process of finalizing Paragon. But, I guess Xenon came through, so one never knows.

Shouldn’t be a problem. Most people that are gonna is a hardtop probably wouldn’t buy a playfield in the first place. Let’s face it. Most of these classic games are just not financially worth spending the price of a new playfield. And it’s also nice to have different choices.

#1198 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Crying? No. I just want something more useful than having a 300lb deadweight sitting in my living room that can't be restored. That's property tax money. That's TPF expenses money.
Stop being a <body part>.

No. It's taking up valuable space and money, and I don't even play the thing because I don't want to look at it or invest any time or money fixing it up in the current state without a playfield solution. If it's not being restored, it needs to go. I really want a nice Cyclone, but without someone making the parts, it makes more sense to let someone else have it on the cheap and just find me a nice one. I don't have a garage, so I can't repaint cabinets myself anyways.

Sold mine last year for the some of the same reasons. Playfield was the worst out of all my games. Didn't play it that much and needed room for something new.

#1216 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Just think out loud. Is there any way of filling the cupped inserts with some kind of clear resin? If that were possible, they would sand flat perfect to the playfield. Might be worth investigating.

You can fill the cupped insert with clear or even self-leveling supper glue.

Quoted from freddy:

I think your missing the reason for hardtoping a game . It’s a simple permanent solution to playfield repair . No need to complicate things .

You still want it to look nice down the road. I wouldn't trust putting a hardtop on a game with cupped inserts. It might be sturdy but I'm 99% sure it will depress over time. If someone already has the playfield this far stripped down why not take a little extra time to either replace the inserts or fill and level them? Do it right the first time, not the second time.

#1222 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

I dont think I am missing the reason at all. I just installed a BK HT and the product is phenominal. Of course Idid not have to deal with sunken inserts.
So are you certain there would not be any moisture or fogging with that slight air gap from a sunken insert, or maybe a slightly unatural visual or lighting effect due to the air gap?
I am not convinced that this could happen at all. I dont believe that the HT would sag or anything like that. Its just worth considering ahead of time because if there is a weird issue, the HT aint coming up in order to address it.
I doubt I will ever be doing an old PF with sunken inserts. But if there were a sure fire way to level them out the right way. I would do it in a heartbeat as to avoid any what-ifs down the road.

The other thing I would be concerned with down the road is with even the slightest give in that area the hardtop could eventually wear the same spot most playfields wear from sunken or cupped insets. Or leave a depression at the edge of the insert. Probably won’t happen on a game being played in the home but would think it’s possible. Man I just can’t see doing all the work to install one of these and not address a minor issue.

#1225 4 years ago

The grand lizard one is really going to make an impact. So many of these have trashed playfields

1 week later
#1249 4 years ago

I sold my Pinbot too soon.

1 month later
#1362 4 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Is Blackout coming anytime soon?

If they did Blackout they can do Warlock too. Same exact playfield just different art.

5 months later
#1675 3 years ago
Quoted from StavrosMilos:

Just brought home a SS with the intent to hardtop. I've found one on Ebay for about $100 less than OutsideEdge. Does anyone have any experience with hardtops that are NOT made by OE? Are they the same thing? Also what is this "clear" everyone keeps referring to? I assume clear coat but is it a certain type/brand?

If you are talking about this one. It's a 50/50 chance you are going to end up with a mess on your hands. I've used them before. They are a royal pain to work with. You have to do the same work to install as the Outside Edge Hardtop. But these are just thin stickers to put it in simple terms. I sold my last one for $50 just to get rid of it and bought a hardtop. Colors and some artwork are off bad on all of them. They easily stretch when applying, They show all defects in wood. Can bubble up a few days later a month later who knows. You will have to trim out for the shooter lane.
Just get the Hardtop from outside edge. The $100 more then the cheap overlay is well worth it.

ebay.com link: Williams SPACE SHUTTLE Pinball Machine Playfield Overlay

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=arcademojo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.