• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 67.
#252 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I agree. It would never wear a hole though it..but how many plays before it becomes hazy and loses that mirror shine? Can it be repolished if needs be?

I scratched it under the apron to see if I could polish it back.

It polished just like any other plastic.

King of Cranes has a few on route that I've installed, I'll have him take some wear pics if anyone is interested.

#253 5 years ago

Little question here... Once hardtops are available for a game, do they stay available ? Or are we talking about limited quantities, and when it's out of stock it stays out of stock ?

#254 5 years ago

Picked up my Black Knight Hardtop at Expo and looking forward to getting it down. Last year I talked to you guys about it and this year it's a reality. Look forward to High Speed!

20181020_092359 (resized).jpg20181020_092359 (resized).jpg
#255 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

So apparently Todd Tuckey is endorsing Hardtops.
For your viewing pleasure

Looks like a really nice product. He needs an LEDOCD in that Comet though. Those flickering LEDs are terrible.

#256 5 years ago

Any word on when we can order Flash Gordon?

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

Any word on when we can order Flash Gordon?

Every night in my dreams...

#258 5 years ago

Fingers crossed for the next run

8371E7BF-CB5A-457F-9A30-CBB2133786C8 (resized).jpeg8371E7BF-CB5A-457F-9A30-CBB2133786C8 (resized).jpeg
#259 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

He needs an LEDOCD in that Comet though. Those flickering LEDs are terrible.

I'm surprised more people don't install these. I think they're one of the best mods out there for the money! My F-14 was so much nicer with one.
For Williams, LED OCD only makes controllers for System 11 and WPC. Comet is a System 9.

#260 5 years ago

I'd give my left nut right now to get a scrap heap Black Night in terrible shape for around $500.00. Everything is now available to restore one.
I don't want to do another expensive repro playfield swap again. That can be a major PITA!

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I'd give my left nut right now to get a scrap heap Black Night in terrible shape for around $500.00. Everything is now available to restore one.
I don't want to do another expensive repro playfield swap again. That can be a major PITA!

I missed a project comet for about that. Love the idea of these, and want to try one. My BK isn’t in too bad of shape, so I think I’ll route it first and restore later.

#262 5 years ago

I'm surprised more people don't install these. I think they're one of the best mods out there for the money! My F-14 was so much nicer with one.
For Williams, LED OCD only makes controllers for System 11 and WPC. Comet is a System 9.

LED OCD should work in System 9 just fine.

#263 5 years ago

I'm surprised more people don't install these.

You make it sound like the product has been available for 10 years. Seems most everyone wants a title that is not yet available.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You make it sound like the product has been available for 10 years. Seems most everyone wants a title that is not yet available.

I think you think he is referring to the hardtops, but he is referring to LED OCD which has been out for at least 5+ years now. It should work fine on Sys 9. LED OCD is one of the best mods I've ever purchased as well.

If I got this wrong then you can tell me to stuff it.

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I think you think he is referring to the hardtops, but he is referring to LED OCD which has been out for at least 5+ years now. It should work fine on Sys 9. LED OCD is one of the best mods I've ever purchased as well.
If I got this wrong then you can tell me to stuff it.

I got that wrong since this was a hardtop thread.

#266 5 years ago

Make no mistake, Hardtops are catching on. We still had people at Expo who had no idea what it was. We are still gaining ground. Those who have installed thi product are our best advertisement. We are currently choosing the next five titles. Exciting times!

#267 5 years ago

Hardtop needs more internet advertising. It would be nice as you release one to put it on your FB page so I can share it to my usual 4 FB groups that I post new parts to.

Even though ColorDMD has been around a long time now, there are still people I've known for 4 years in pinball that had no clue of them either.

#268 5 years ago

There will still be many that will want to see how one plays before purchasing.

#269 5 years ago

My fingers are crossed!

#270 5 years ago

Bally Strikes and Spares? Please!

#271 5 years ago

TX Sector and Robo-Wars!

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

LED OCD should work in System 9 just fine.

Cool! I didn't know that!

#273 5 years ago

Cool! I didn't know that!

I would confirm with herg but I think it will work.

#274 5 years ago

Alright folks.... I will start a new round thread as well, but as a result of these polls coupled with emailed requests and comments at shows ... Here is the next round. The only wild card is Eight ball Deluxe. I need to confirm rights/permission first.

NEXT UP:
Eight ball Deluxe (pending)
Pinbot
Swords of Fury
Grand Lizard
Blackout

As we grow with titles we will try to do a better job on social media also. We are guilty of being consumed with commercial print work most of the time, and these marketing/communication steps sometimes fall by the wayside when it comes to our beloved pinball efforts.

#275 5 years ago

Also, as far as confidence in the product... I will say that Mark Ritchie purchased a Taxi Hardtop for the machine in his home. He absolutely loved the product when we sold this to him in 2017.

While the Hardtop is NOT impervious and will not last forever, I will say that we designed this product with care. We intend for this product to last AT LEAST as long as the original did... while stating "probably longer". If we really wanted to invest in excellerated wear testing... we could. The product price would also reflect this substantial investment that will be nothing more in the end, than a "feel good".

The Hardtop is also NOT a new playfield for those stanch restorers looking to maintain the machines original status of a wood playing surface.

As a reminder, the Hardtop is also NOT a great solution to "preserve" original art on a playing surface. It is intended from it's inception to take an otherwise unusable, undesirable piece of wood ... and use it as a donor to resurface with a Hardtop... resulting in a high gloss, hard, durable playing surface that eclipse the original in surface perfection. Faster? YES... Original feel... close, but no. It feels more modern in ball speed and play. It also (happy accident) really smooths the overall feel of play.

We now have a little over 200 units in the field, with some of them already more than 2 years old. Some of these games are routed and are reporting with glowing reviews to date. My Shuttle (the original product test bed) easily has over 2,000 plays. How fitting for Space Shuttle be the pioneer!

How long do they last... is understandably the golden question. I can tell you that you can take an "eye sore" old game and make it awesome again for many years to come for around 300 bucks. But...we would be lying if we claimed to know the answer for "how long"... WAAYYYYY too many variables to ever commit to such an ambiguous question. Storage conditions? Number of plays? How clean is it kept? Are the balls in good condition?.... much much more.

I can tell you the Hardtop WAS compared to the average clear coat in an ATSM taber test in Israel. Our Hardtop was MORE scratch resistant than clear coat.

Hope this helps! Thank you all for your interest in our product. We are thrilled to revive so many games stuck in the corner of your shop that have blown play fields. DON'T PART OUT GAMES! It makes us cry.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Alright folks.... I will start a new round thread as well, but as a result of these polls coupled with emailed requests and comments at shows ... Here is the next round. The only wild card is Eight ball Deluxe. I need to confirm rights/permission first.
NEXT UP:
Eight ball Deluxe (pending)
Pinbot
Swords of Fury
Grand Lizard
Blackout
As we grow with titles we will try to do a better job on social media also. We are guilty of being consumed with commercial print work most of the time, and these marketing/communication steps sometimes fall by the wayside when it comes to our beloved pinball efforts.

Grand Lizard and Blackout. Perfect. I'm in for both.

You will have another location with hardtop testing.

#277 5 years ago

Outsidedge how long do you think before the SOF is ready to start shipping? Just asking for a friend.

#278 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

outsidedge how long do you think before the SOF is ready to start shipping? Just asking for a friend.

Sorry folks... we will hardly ever commit to ship dates (or throw out guesses that turn into expectations). Way too many reasons why things sometimes don't go as planned. We will ALWAYS announce when they are ready... and "sometimes" call out when titles are almost ready. Anything further is setting ourselves up for failure. 12-14 months really is the best I can promise until we are almost "go time" on a title.

Current titles very near launching: High Speed and Mata Hari.

We will be working hard for you all though to get these titles rolling!

#279 5 years ago

I'm in for Grand Lizard

#280 5 years ago

Awww man! I was hoping Supersonic would squeak into the new 5 titles with its simple graphics. Or High Speed... Oh well, I still have a feeling both will make it to the presses someday, and I'm nothing if not patient.

So glad y'all are making this product and I can't wait to order and install my first!

Yopp.

#281 5 years ago

Curious what happened with Flash Gordon.

#282 5 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Awww man! I was hoping Supersonic would squeak into the new 5 titles with its simple graphics. Or High Speed... Oh well, I still have a feeling both will make it to the presses someday, and I'm nothing if not patient.
So glad y'all are making this product and I can't wait to order and install my first!
Yopp.

Two posts above he stated that High a Speed is almost ready to release

#283 5 years ago

You can say that again! This is probably the best time to be involved in the hobby. With tons of super high quality parts and resources, pretty much any game can be picked up with the reasonable confidence that anyone can get it going again. I can't think of too many hobbies with so many specialized manufacturers making products that are accessible for everyone.

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

NEXT UP: Swords of Fury

I see a Swords of Fury in my future now!

#286 5 years ago

Last time I got teased this bad I brought a stack of $1's

#287 5 years ago

Blackout.........YES!!
Already have the repo backglass....
Now I just need Pinball Pimp to make stencils (hint, hint, to anyone out there with a Blackout nice enough to send scans to Jeff)

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from johnnycruzr:

Blackout.........YES!!
Already have the repo backglass....
Now I just need Pinball Pimp to make stencils (hint, hint, to anyone out there with a Blackout nice enough to send scans to Jeff)

I have a black out and would be willing. What do I need, equipment wise, to do this?

#290 5 years ago

Outsidedge

Swords of Fury! I would take two today if available

Keep us posted please. I have one that I need to get moving out, for a friend and have waited too long to try to restore his PF wear and art, unfortunately.

I have someone who might get a high-speed once ready.

Thank you, thank you for SOF!

#292 5 years ago

Question for folks who have installed a hardtop out there. Did you take out the pop bumper screws that are in the playfield? If yes, was it hard to reinstall them securely? I’ve ordered my space shuttle hardtop and am in the process of tearing down the playfield. Thanks!

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Question for folks who have installed a hardtop out there. Did you take out the pop bumper screws that are in the playfield? If yes, was it hard to reinstall them securely? I’ve ordered my space shuttle hardtop and am in the process of tearing down the playfield. Thanks!

I left mine in. Figured the odds of ever needing to replace them are tiny and I'd potentially do more damage taking them out and reinstalling. Plus I could always put a small hole in the hardtop if necessary.

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

I left mine in. Figured the odds of ever needing to replace them are tiny and I'd potentially do more damage taking them out and reinstalling. Plus I could always put a small hole in the hardtop if necessary.

I also left mine in. Jay's reasoning was the same as mine.

#295 5 years ago

Oh, man. PINBOT. Thank the maker.

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

You are correct. They do not need to be removed.

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I did take them out, only because old ones often break (just barely snug them up, and even then, any internal fractures may still snap them)

How many times have you gone out to service a pop that is hanging up, only to find that some idiot before you must have overtightened them at some point, and that 2 of the 3 screws are snapped?

My advice:

If you want to bury them, at least put brand new ones in.

Don't over-tighten them!

#299 5 years ago

Thanks all!

#300 5 years ago

Alien Poker! I was so excited when they released the back glass not long ago and the plastics. There's got to be a play field in the works somewhere, but a hard top would be just perfect!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.