• Strikes and Spares 29 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 27 votes
    3%
  • Supersonic 27 votes
    3%
  • Grand Lizard 52 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 806 votes by 464 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 160 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
1_head_shake_grande (resized).png
2019-10-04 23_11_29-giddy up meme - - Image Search Results (resized).png
IMG_6538.jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_20190901_155843 (resized).jpg
20190714_155525_HDR (resized).jpg
20190815_202949 (resized).jpg
20190823_233259_HDR (resized).jpg
20190823_233206_HDR (resized).jpg
67BBCA93-70BA-4879-B580-D8D803EFEC68 (resized).jpeg
06BB2A62-E8BC-4140-8224-81651D4BC351 (resized).jpeg
FE67C337-E33B-482B-B6B6-C6D50D9FD11B (resized).jpeg
9DDC7551-8289-4070-9DF8-3F0590256B05 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2019-07-03 20.45.42 (resized).png
72B6FDBE-068F-450D-8A78-498E52D56E99.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (11 months ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (84 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaytrem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 1 year ago

Did my Comet Hardtop install yesterday, looks great!!! If was definitely important to remove the top protective film first. If I lined up the Hardtop exactly to the playfield I could see a good amount of wood on the left side of the inserts. With the film removed I was able to easily adjust. A bit of the Hardtop now hangs over the right side of the playfield, I'll probably shave that off while I'm working on the rollover. At any rate, it looks amazing, great product, thanks!!!

A little before and after...

20180419_221923 (resized).jpg20180603_215512 (resized).jpg
#34 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

More
Man I missed a local comet that I was hoping to restore with one. Looks great! And you have new ramps you can get too!

Thanks, got some more work done yesterday, new pop bumper parts look real nice too. I did pick up the red cycle ramp and corkscrew from freeplay40, can't wait to get those installed. It is a great time to own a Comet! No way I would have purchased mine if it wasn't for hardtop being available. Only problem is the playfield is going to make my cabinet look worse than it is. Good chance I'll play it for a bit then fix up a cab some time down the road.

#39 1 year ago

Used the dremmel mini drum sander to enlarge the rollover hole last night. Worked perfect and was real easy to do. It's nice and snug before even using glue. See the third video in the third post for instructions. I did get to practice a bit while shaving off the side that was overhanging the playfield a bit. Very easy though, and if your rollovers are in a more visible location I think the dremmel method is a must.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I sold the prototype Pharoah at 1000 over its original cost.

I was wondering if anybody even sold a machine with a hardtop already installed yet. I think it's still too early to tell what will happen price wise. I'm guessing most of the hardtop machines are still with the original owners. I have no plans of selling mine any time soon. And I also put in a lot of other new parts, so who knows what price increase can be attributed to specifically to the hardtop. Time should give us an idea though.

1 week later
#81 1 year ago

So if the hardtop needs a cleaning what product would be recommended. I seem to recall seeing no Novus 1 somewhere, but waxing okay? Thanks!

3 weeks later
#157 1 year ago
Quoted from tominator:

Aside from the one roll over i did not have to drill one hole on my Frontier. Everything lined up exactly!

Maybe it's a Comet thing, I had to do a bunch, no big deal though. Dremmel mini drum sander does work great for the star rollover. That was my biggest concern, but it came out perfect. I also practiced a bit on the side of the hardtop that was over hanging the playfield. Felt more confident after seeing how easy that was.

2 weeks later
#167 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

How is the transition point in the shooter lane when it goes from the original wood to the hard top? Does the ball jump up at the bump? I was just thinking about this as I got mine in the mail today too. Looks like a beautiful job and it's going to be exciting to get this project completed!

Seems real smooth on mine. If it jumps at all I've never noticed it.

2 months later
#220 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I hope his followers put on their respirators while sanding, or they are going to get some lead exposure

Now ya tell me!

Seriously though, its still pretty new, but mine looks as good as the day I put it on. I think the metal guide next to the left flipper does a job on the ball. So the Comet hardtop is dealing with a roughed up ball much sooner than some other games. Looks perfect though.

1 week later
#242 11 months ago

I do wonder how they compare to the old Spinball playflieds. Those would be over 20 years old now. Anybody know if they ever showed much wear?And how similar are those to the hardtops?

1 week later
#293 11 months ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Question for folks who have installed a hardtop out there. Did you take out the pop bumper screws that are in the playfield? If yes, was it hard to reinstall them securely? I’ve ordered my space shuttle hardtop and am in the process of tearing down the playfield. Thanks!

I left mine in. Figured the odds of ever needing to replace them are tiny and I'd potentially do more damage taking them out and reinstalling. Plus I could always put a small hole in the hardtop if necessary.

1 month later
#442 9 months ago

1. Your playfield looks too nice for a hardtop.

2. If I can successfully install a hardtop odds are you can too.

Fun project, but need to find a real crappy playfield. I didn't have to think twice about doing my Comet.

4 months later
#752 4 months ago
Quoted from Bill_Froog:

I'd like a Hurricane.. I'm thinking of sanding and retouching - but there's no way I could compete with the 'as new' quality you're offering - fantastic..

I'd be surprised if they made a Hurricane. Seems like all the playfields I've seen were in pretty good shape.

1 month later
#849 3 months ago
Quoted from Jakusu:

Hi All
I am very interested in how everyone is the finding the durability of this product? Especially with Swords of Fury coming and it is the only machine in my collection left that needs a nice play field restore!
My questions are:
How is the durability and scratching up over time with a lot of plays?

Mine still looks perfect, but it doesnt have many plays compared to some. The higher played ones also seem to have good reports.

#857 3 months ago

The star insert was my biggest concern before install. Turned out to be real easy. My hardtop was hanging over the edge of the playfield a bit, so I was able to practice with the mini dremmel drum sander on the side of the hardtop. After a bit of practice I felt more confident.

1 month later
#902 50 days ago

The new Tokyo Perfect Drift machine out of Spain uses a Hardtop type playfield....

http://www.quetzalpinball.com

It's not new for Spanish pinball. Spinball was doing it in the 90s and the playfields still look great. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the news companies in the US went that direction.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Ann, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaytrem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside