• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#438 5 years ago

So....what would you do? I've got a Black Knight - 100% functional, perfect backglass, decent cabinet (8/10) and a good looking playfield. While the playfield is good looking visually, it's developed cupping in the vast majority of the inserts and it's driving me crazy with the balls getting their trajectory altered each time it rolls over an insert, even at moderate speed. I've got lots of choices, but none are for the faint of heart:

1 - Pop out the inserts using a heat gun and pressure, heat and press flat, sand/polish, reinstall, and apply decals if required. Risks - could break, warp or crack the insert during the process. Replacement BK inserts are next to impossible to find.
2 - Apply a hard top. This idea is really attractive, but my existing playfield is pretty good looking cosmetically already and it would probably be sacrilegious to destroy an original playfield just to fix the inserts.
3 - Try and find a basket case sub-$400 doner BK with a trashed playfield, put a hardtop on it, and use that playfield in my machine. Then maybe I could find a buyer for my original playfield to help offset the cost of the doner BK and hardtop.
4 - Clearcoat the inserts and playfield so it's level but the labor cost on that would exceed a hardtop replacement.

#1 I would attempt myself. #2, #3 and #4 I would farm out to a local pinball repair shop as that's beyond my skill level.

Here's what my current playfield looks like. What would you do?

IMG_6074.JPGIMG_6074.JPGIMG_6063.JPGIMG_6063.JPGIMG_6064.JPGIMG_6064.JPGIMG_6065.JPGIMG_6065.JPGIMG_6066.JPGIMG_6066.JPGIMG_6067.JPGIMG_6067.JPGIMG_6068.JPGIMG_6068.JPGIMG_6069.JPGIMG_6069.JPGIMG_6070.JPGIMG_6070.JPGIMG_6071.JPGIMG_6071.JPG
#440 5 years ago

Actually, I had not considered a protector. Reasonably priced, doesn't look to terribly difficult to install. I wonder how much it will actually reduce the cupping in my case. I'll definitely research this option...thank you for the link, @grbgemen.

#445 5 years ago

Thanx everyone...did some reading on it (including this entire thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexan-playfield-protector-install-and-review) and I'm convinced. I not only bought one just now for my BK but also my Eight Ball Deluxe. My EBD also has a very nice looking playfield - no insert cupping, but there are rough spots on both inlanes close to the flippers whereby if you trap the ball with the flipper and then release the flipper, the ball stays stuck in the inlane and you have to nudge the cabinet to get it to roll down. The playfield protector should get rid of that annoyance, too!

The company is on holiday break and won't resume shipping until 10JAN, so it may not be until February that I see them. The sale they're running is 20% off your order if ordered by 31DEC....for me, it came out to about $40 which is equal to the shipping cost, so "free" shipping.

Thanx again for the guidance!

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

This thread is not about that product. Ask advice in the thread you lonked to.
Edit: You can start a new thread and create a poll to go with it. That would maximize your advice from others.

My initial question involved whether or not I should go hardtop which I felt was appropriate for this thread. Now that I've decided to go playfield protector, I'm over in that thread now.

#449 5 years ago

Marco sells many sizes and shapes of inserts. Have you checked there?

Yes...found many BK2K inserts but no BK.

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

You are welcome. I cut parts off of another prototype to do mine.I then realized this would make things much easier. I will talk to the guys at Outsidedge and see if they can include this strip on all dual level playfields.

I ordered one for my Black Knight over Christmas and they resume shipping on 10JAN. Here's hoping I get an extra strip with mine! Thanx.....

2 weeks later
#552 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I just received my Mata Hari. I'm not sure if this art is correct? My field is worn but it looks different.
[quoted image]

That's hilarious. Thanx for the chuckle.

3 weeks later
#586 5 years ago

I just took the plunge and ordered one for my project Mata Hari. How long does it usually take Outside Edge to ship? Not that I'm in too much of a hurry...I still need to tear down the playfield topside and there are only so many project hours available on the weekends.

#598 5 years ago

As long as we're talking classic Sterns....my vote is for Flight 2000. Every one I've seen over the last several several years hasn't had anything close to a decent looking playfield. When I'm done with my Mata Hari, my next project will be a F2K if I can find one locally. And I'll bet the playfield will be trashed.

2 weeks later
#611 5 years ago

Hey all - I'm prepping my Mata Hari playfield and hopefully will be installing my hardtop this weekend or next. I have a few questions for those of you who have done this before:

1 - The entire topside is now torn down with everything removed, including the four pop bumpers. Each of the pop bumper areas has mylar - I removed one easily enough by pulling it up with my fingers but it left a tacky residue. What's the best way to remove the mylar? Does the tacky residue have to be remedied before laying down the hardtop and, if so, how is that done?

2 - Some of the recommendations I've read involve spraying "clear" on the inserts after sanding them down and on the bare wood areas as well that surround the playfield, including the shooter lane (and then waiting at least 72hrs before laying down the hardtop). What do you guys do, and where does one get "spray clear"? Something easily enough picked up at Home Depot or Lowes? What do I look for?

3 - I should sand down only the "rough" areas, inserts, and anywhere there are protrusions, correct? Never done this before....what grit sandpaper should I use? 200, then 500, then 1000? When the area in question is smooth, I'm done?

Thanx!
Kris

#613 5 years ago

Great link, thank you @eagle18. Vid's guides, as usual, are extremely detailed and informative and indeed it answered a lot of my questions (and provided tips I didn't even think about). In his installation, however, he sanded off ALL artwork and cleared his entire playfield with 2PAC before applying the hardtop. I didn't think you had to go that far with hardtop installations.

I'm just a basic hobbyist...I'm not set up or experienced enough to do a home 2PAC job with compressed air, chemical mask, bunny suit, paint booth, etc. For the rest of you guys who have installed hardtops...what did you do to clear the inserts, shooter lane, and saucers? Rattle can clear? What brand?

3 weeks later
#629 5 years ago

Question on hardtop hole alignment. I'm doing an alignment test fit with Mata Hari - inserts line up great as do most holes. There are a few holes, however, that are way off. Looking for guidance on how to rectify.

Best example would be the holes for apron clip brackets. See the close up picture below where I have the hardtop slightly lifted so you can see the playfield underneath. On the hardtop, the holes for screws are BELOW the artwork line. On the playfield itself, the holes for them are ABOVE the artwork line.

I'm assuming I need to drill holes thru the hardtop to match the existing holes in the playfield, correct? Any advice on how to determine exactly where on the hardtop to drill the holes since the original holes on the playfield cannot be seen thru the hardtop?

After HT Test Fit.JPGAfter HT Test Fit.JPGIMG_6465.JPGIMG_6465.JPG
#633 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

In my BK hardtop series I mention that with these games many of the holes were hand drilled. (that means there will be inconsistencies) Not every PF will be the same nor will they match EXACTLY with a hardtop. But it will be damn close! Just like Spraynard stated - don't drill holes in that HT til you have it permanently down on the PF. If the holes go all the way through the other side of the PF you can carefully drill starting on the other side using a very small drill bit to give you a pilot hole so you can flip it back over and drill down the correct way.

TheCapn / Spraynard - thanx for the input....that's pretty much what I thought. My challenge with those apron screw holes is that they do not go all the way thru the playfield which means I cannot drill up thru the bottom of the playfield after the hardtop is installed. I guess I'm going to have to rely on measurements I make for the existing hardtop holes to approximate the location of the playfield holes from topside after the hardtop is installed? I was hoping there was a method other folks used when they encountered this situation instead of having to rely on measuring and doing a blind drill. Or I could try using the holes already in the hardtop...the apron itself would cover any mistakes provided it's still aligned on the playfield ok.

In the photo below, the purple dots represent an approximation for where the holes are drilled in the playfield.

For the other holes close but not perfect - I've got a Dremel tool but only cutting disks. What bits/attachments would you recommend to use for opening up existing hardtop holes?

Apron Area.jpgApron Area.jpg
#635 5 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Is there anything under the playfield holes on the bottom side of the playfield? I would drill the old hole thru to the back, apply the HT and then use that small drill to make a small hole from the back of the playfield thru the HT.

Ya, there's the bracket for the flipper assembly.

#642 5 years ago

What kind of Dremel tool bit do I need to use to widen out the hardtop screw holes that don't line up with the playfield holes? All I have are cutting discs for my Dremel so I need to buy an accessory kit, but I'm not sure what to look for. What do you guys use?

Alignment.jpgAlignment.jpg
1 week later
#653 5 years ago

So I think this might be the weekend I finally get the Mata Hari hardtop installed. It's been almost a week since I cleared the inserts and today I took off the masking. One thing that hadn't occurred to me.....the areas that got cleared now have this ever-so-slight ridge between its surface and the uncleared surface that was masked off (see picture). Does this need to be sanded down prior to putting on the hardtop? If so, what grit sandpaper and how much do I take off?

The ridge is so slight, I'm wondering if it would even matter. Pay no attention to the black outline around the insert - that was an experiment gone bad, and with the test fit of the hardtop the inserts look perfect.

Insert and Clear 2.jpgInsert and Clear 2.jpg
#658 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Why are you spending your time masking off your playfield.Just shoot clear on the whole area.

I tried not to over think this and I did do the whole playfield at first. This is my first experience with clear (rattle can). The first attempt was the whole playfield and that didn't turn out well - something was breaking up the chemical bond in so many areas (except around the inserts) and I was left with cracking, peeling, and the like. I was spraying at 72F and had the can well shook/mixed, and the first coat was very, very thin so I figured it was something on the playfield causing this. I sanded all that off and started over and tried again in a couple test spots after degreasing, rubbing with naphtha, and trying really hard to get whatever wax or silicone or whatever is in this playfield out so that it could be cleared properly (at least as properly as I can with a rattle can). The test spots came out just like the first time - bad. Sanded that clear attempt off in a few minutes since it was just a small test area, then kept in mind the instructions that came with the hardtop to either wet sand the inserts or clear them to make them shiny. It took about 10 minutes to mask off the non-insert areas that kept failing and so I cleared just the inserts. No cracking/peeling and it came out ok.

And now here I am with my ridge question. It's very slight....does that need to get sanded down or would be ok to lay the hardtop down as-is?

#670 5 years ago

Finally hit the re-assembly phase of my Mata Hari install. Got the frame, apron area, and rebuilt pop bumpers back in so far this week along with new flipper assemblies. Targeting having this playable over the weekend after rebuilding the slings and drop targets and finishing off the new posts and plastics.

IMG_6507.jpgIMG_6507.jpg
#677 5 years ago

Can someone tell me what the purpose of the nails are that are in the slingshot areas of some early Bally's (like the Mata Hari I put a hardtop in)? Is it just for support of the sling plastic piece or is there some sort of other functionality that it's suppose to provide? The hardtop holes don't align with where the nails were on the playfield originally. I'm thinking of just not putting the nails back in.

Sling Nails.jpgSling Nails.jpg
1 month later
#735 4 years ago

I'd be in for EBD.....

1 week later
#761 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Announced last October:
”Hello All,
We are happy to announce or next 5 titles we plan to have available in the next 12-14 months (by end of 2019). They are....
Eight Ball Deluxe (permission pending)
Pinbot
Swords of Fury
Grand Lizard
Blackout
We do not (nor is it necessary) take pre orders. Please just keep your eyes open for the announcement here as each one hits the market.”

Man oh man, I hope EBD is one of the first out the chute and shows up this summer. I'm in for three of them....my keeper EBD, a project EBD I'm going to flip, and an EBD for a buddy of mine.

1 week later
#791 4 years ago

I emailed Bruce last weekend asking about the possibility of EBD in 2019. This is the reply I got:

"Yes, it is going to be started soon. No time line given... as we are always behind. Think next 12 months... "

#799 4 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

I’ve had my hard top installed for several months now. I’ve noticed that one of my inserts has started to “cloud” — basically this opaque whiteness seems to be spreading from the edge. Anyone else experiencing this? Not sure if it’s the hardtop or something I messed up on install.

It's been almost 3 months since my hardtop install on Mata Hari...no issues yet, knock on wood. How did you prep your inserts before laying down the hardtop? I sanded 600-800-1000 then put on a couple of thin rattle can coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss.

1 week later
#828 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Let's see? You know they make Playfields for this game right? I wouldn't recommend Hardtop for that game.
Hardtop is the best solution for games that have no other solution. If I took apart my Funhouse I'd want to put
the best solution in place. It's alot of work. Putting a Hardtop in is alot of work if done right.

Doing a topside teardown for a hardtop is infinitely easier and quicker vs. moving everything from the old playfield to the new one.

#838 4 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Have you installed a hard top before? It’s quite a bit more involved than you are making it out to be. I love my FG hardtop, but factoring in time and effort, I think I would rather do a playfield swap tbh.

Spread out over about 8 weeks (I work 50+ hours a week, have family/kids, and I have other weekend hobbies), I probably put about 12-18 hours into my Mata Hari hardtop install:

- Topside tear down
- Repair top center kickout saucer with wood epoxy putty
- Sand inserts, shooter lane, apron, and top arch
- Rattle can poly spray shooter lane, apron, and top arch
- Rattle can clear spray inserts after sanding 600-800-1000
- Lay down hardtop (all of 10 minutes for this step)
- Fix/adjust mis-aligned hardtop holes with playfield holes
- Re-assemble topside with new posts, plastics, pop bumper hardware, targets, and rubbers from Marco's (+ flipper rebuild)
- Play. I must have 200 games on it so far and I'm totally pleased with the speed, action, and flow of this classic pin

Way easier and a quarter of the cost of doing a playfield swap if I could even find a worthy replacement playfield.

#840 4 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

I have done dozens of full playfield swaps and recently just completed a FG hardtop install. I agree with Spraynard, FG does take a lot of extra time and effort to do correctly compared to Mati Hari and other games which have little to no rollovers to redo and no multi-tier ramps to line up.
Consider the 7 rollover Inserts that should be removed and replaced with new ones. Then you have to sand the concave surfaces of each rollover before clamping/leveling with actual hardtop. And Before all of this you have to carefully route out each of the 7 holes before placing inserts on playfield.
As for the ramps, you need to cut holes in extra plastic to shim the metal surfaces so ball can freely travel. Precise cutting of little pieces and placing the material so that is lines up correctly along with drilling holes to match is tedious work indeed.
Take into consideration you have to line up 2 pieces not just one and this adds more time along with drilling more holes in plastic for the side rails. All of this is very time consuming to do correctly. If you were doing a simple game with no ramps or rollovers, then, yes, Hardtop would go done rather quickly, however, games like FG are much more difficult to do and requires more time than a Top side population of a new playfield since you do have to sand, prep, clear, etc. before application.
I am not knocking the hardtops at all; very glad to help save games out there which do not have new playfields available to them, but don't kid yourself, to do it right, they take a lot of time to do properly. Just glad we now have multiple options for those to select when restoring a game!

Those are excellent points, @perryd, and I had not considered those with my comments on my own experience with Mata Hari. Rollovers and ramps indeed ratchet up the complexity level several degrees and MH by comparison is a rather simple layout. The only modifications I had to make as a result of the hardtop height was to raise the two banks of 4 drop targets by .8mm. That way the ball would not get stuck sitting on top of downed targets if it happened to roll slowly by at an angle.

#850 4 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi All
I am very interested in how everyone is the finding the durability of this product? Especially with Swords of Fury coming and it is the only machine in my collection left that needs a nice play field restore!
My questions are:
How is the durability and scratching up over time with a lot of plays? I have tried the clear playfield protectors in the past and the first batch ( I think petg) were good, then they changed to Makrolon or similar and it was terrible - scratched up in no time. Keeping in mind good clean polished balls and and keeping play field clean of course.
How is the Resistance to temp changes. We can experience 0 to 40 deg c over a year is there any issue with shrinking, bubbling and or laminating etc?
Appreciate any feedback via forum or pm if you feel more comfortable commenting - thank you!

Quoted from jaytrem:

Mine still looks perfect, but it doesnt have many plays compared to some. The higher played ones also seem to have good reports.

After ~400 games so far, my MH hardtop still looks and plays like brand new. I do not wax it. I give it a cursory wipe down with a clean, dry cloth about every 50 games. I'll probably do a full topside tear-down clean at the one-year mark and every year there-after.

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

Will someone please let us know when EBD is ready . I was told some time in 2019 . Thanks good day

Post #791: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/16#post-5040424

#865 4 years ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

have heard nothing on this,
i keep hoping some one will reach out to me and sell me one ...... keep hope alive or is it give hope a chance? hope for change?
anyway all bs aside, am hoping i can find one fairly, have a play field with horribly warped arrow type inserts and i really want it out of my house

You'll likely have to wait for Outside Edge to come back online and start producing them again. At $300 a pop, I doubt many folks stockpile them for future projects and have extra laying around to sell. At that price point, I usually wait till I'm ready to start the work and then purchase.

#868 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I think they were just overwhelmed by the number of orders coming in. They should be back up and running soon.

Those guys are a commercial printing company and do the hardtop thing on the side. I read somewhere on their site that they're using their $1.5M printing press for their hardtops and that they're shutting down while they "retool their production". That retooling is likely being driven by their day business and it, of course, affects their hardtop side business. Here's hoping the retooling results in increased capacity that shortens the time between taking hardtop orders and shipping once production resumes!

2 months later
#943 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

What type of sander? Palm, orbitol, sanding block? Neighbor has a nice Festool setup so will probabky use that, but just wondering.

I used an orbital sander to prep for my Mata Hari hardtop. Went 80-120-240-800 on the playfield and up to 1200 on the inserts. I did not remove all artwork - only the artwork on the inserts and immediately surrounding the inserts. I made sure none of the inserts were raised and didn't care about the few that were cupped knowing the hardtop would hide that. I used rattle can clear on the inserts and kickout hole in the top center of the playfield. I used polyurethane on the shooter lane, apron, upper archway. I'm very, very pleased with how it turned out.

IMG_6538.jpgIMG_6538.jpg
#948 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I assume topside removal only...how are you keepimg dust from getting everywhere underneath?

The sawdust capture bag on my orbital sander does a decent job of keeping most of the stuff from flying around, but after I finished I spent 15-20 minutes using my air compressor all over the underside to totally clean out the nooks and crannies.

#968 4 years ago

Thanx in advance from me too for EBD!! Here's hoping it's the early part of December, in time to get it in my hands for a nice project over my Christmas break.

1 week later
#983 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I would just use some black Createx and a fine brush so you dont have to accommodate a sharpie. Ink is going to be bad news.

Indeed, ink is bad news, and I know this from experience. Here's a picture of what was a solid ink traces around the inserts after applying clear (and cleaning up the ink bleed off the inserts themselves). Fortunately, the MH insert lineup on my playfield was perfect....no wood showing through, and I didn't have to go thru the ink/clear/smear/clean-up process a few times before giving up on that!

Insert and Clear.jpgInsert and Clear.jpg
#1005 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Okay I am prepared to use this to clear the PF. Anyone think this product is a bad idea?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-11-5-fl-oz-Gloss-Oil-based-Polyurethane/999913663

I used that poly on the shooter lane, apron, and upper arch area of my PF before installing a hardtop and was very pleased at the results. It did darken yellow a bit but I was actually going for that effect since after sanding down those areas to get rid of ground in dirt, wear, and ball tracks, the sanding left the wood a much lighter-than-original color. I would not use it on playfield paint/graphics.

IMG_6471 (resized).jpgIMG_6471 (resized).jpgIMG_6510 (resized).jpgIMG_6510 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1077 4 years ago

I've had a playfield protector in my EBD for nearly a year now - it "hides" rough spots in both inlanes that would hold the ball captive after trapping it with the flipper and letting go of the flipper, and it also stops the awkward directions the ball takes when running over cupped inserts. I've been very pleased with the performance! Still....looking very much forward to the EBD hardtop next month to put in the machine....if anyone wants an EBD playfield protector cheap, PM me in January.

#1094 4 years ago

Nafla = Naphtha: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Strip-Naphtha-Solvent-1-qt-Case-Of-6/189112618

You can also get it at Home Depot. There are many variations under many different names - VM&P Naphtha is the preferred among pinheads.

4 weeks later
#1143 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Good News Everyone! Xenon is available for ordering now. Please allow 10 days for shipping.
Happy New Year!!!

I have a feeling 2020 is going to be a booming business year for you guys with your increased capacity and new titles coming out! Once I'm done with my current project, I should be placing an order for 3 more hardtops (around February) myself.

3 weeks later
#1259 4 years ago

What is it so far....three new titles this month alone? Any chance Outside Edge can keep up with that pace this year?

1 month later
#1336 4 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Difficult to build? Willing to share your plans?

If you don't want to build your own, this is a very well made and affordable one built on demand by a fellow pinsider:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-in-all-metal-pf-rotisseries-for-18000-shipped

1 month later
#1417 4 years ago

Just pulled the triggered and ordered EBD. I had originally planned to get an Eight Ball Deluxe hardtop in January but other priorities got in the way. Finding myself with more time on my hands than usual thanx to our stay-at-home order, I've got the bandwidth now to work on it. I put a hardtop in my Mata Hari last year and I absolutely love it. Can't wait to "finish" my EBD....I refurb'd and painted the cabinet last year (external only with stencils). Getting a nice, shiny new playfield in it will also likely motivate me to recondition the interior of the cabinet as well. Since I'll be cleaning and tumbling topside metal parts after teardown, I might as well do the tilt board, coin door, receiver mechanism, etc. along the way.

How's Outside Edge doing shipping-wise during COVID-19? Hoping to have it mid-May.....

#1422 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

How's Outside Edge doing shipping-wise during COVID-19? Hoping to have it mid-May.....

Wow...ordered on April 20 and it arrived today (April 27)! EBD hardtop install is next in my queue after I finish the shop job on a STTNG that I picked up a couple of months ago....about 3 more weeks.

Thanx, Outside Edge!!

#1429 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

This Taxi is getting it. What’s everyone’s experience with how long it takes from time you order to when you receive it? I started stripping my playfield tonight so it will be ready once it gets here.

I ordered EBD the evening of April 20 and it arrived at my door on April 27.

1 week later
#1459 3 years ago

Finally finished my STTNG project (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/86#post-5637728) and have moved on to installing the EBD hardtop that came in a few weeks ago. My EBD was a decent player pin and looked great as long as you didn't look too closely at the playfield. The major problems with it are that many inserts are cupped causing the ball to go in unexpected directions and both inlanes have rough spots at the edge of the flippers....if the ball is going slowly enough (or you hold the ball to make a shot), the ball stays stuck in that spot even with the flippers down. Shaking the ball free often results in a tilt. I've been using a playfield protector for about year to get rid of those issues but thankfully the EBD hardtop is now available!

I have the playfield about 90% torn down...hoping to be sanding by next weekend. Just need to pull out the pop bumpers, drop target assemblies, and sling assemblies. I've run into a couple of issues, looking for guidance - my EBD is the 1984 "Classic" version if it matters:

1 - I'm having trouble getting all of the mylar off the playfield (using freeze spray). There's a ton of it. When I installed a hardtop on my Mata Hari, I didn't run into this....there were only a few pieces of mylar near the slings and pop bumpers and it came up easily. On the EBD, not so much. Can I just sand this stuff off?

2 - The three wood rails that frame the outer playfield are each held in by one or two screws and a couple dozen loooong staples. I ran into this on my Mata Hari as well and while the staples were challenging to remove, I got them out and used screws to put the rails back as Bally had the foresight to pre-drill recessed holes for doing just that. On this 1984 Bally/Midway EBD, there are no pre-drilled recessed holes except for the 1 or 2 per rail that were done at the factory. EBD owners - what did you guys do about the factory staples? Remove them and reuse? Remove them and drill new holes for screws? Remove them and put in new staples (I don't have a staple gun that can do those type of staples)?

IMG_8151 (resized).JPGIMG_8151 (resized).JPG
#1462 3 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Why did you feel you needed a Hardtop for this?

Several little reasons, but the two main ones were:

1 - several cupped inserts. I don't like to mess with 2PAC to fill and I haven't had very much success in using spray can clear to fix the same on other projects. My Mata Hari had more cupped inserts than this EBD (and a few were worse) and the hardtop I put on it took care of that.

2 - a previous owner did a poor repaint job in a several areas but while most were just visually displeasing, there are two that cause actual physical trouble with ball play. In each inlane by the flipper hole, the repaint effort is rough enough that a ball will get stuck there if rolling slowly enough or you release the flipper after trapping/holding the ball. Takes a serious nudge to dislodge, often resulting in a tilt (and the tilt is not set to be super-sensitive). I tried lightly sanding those areas to smooth it out but the paint starts to come off. I've got no painting skills....I can barely repaint a cabinet with a stencil, let alone try to repaint delicate artwork like this that would need to cleared/protected afterwords.

Playing with a playfield protector addresses the above pretty well....I put one in last year. But after experiencing how well my Mata Hari plays and looks after putting on a hardtop, I want the same for my EBD.

Any advice on the mylar removal? Can I sand the rest off while taking the playfield to bare wood or am I doomed to hours and hours of removing it tiny bits at a time?

IMG_8155a (resized).jpgIMG_8155a (resized).jpg
#1468 3 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Since you're not concerned about the artwork underneath, give the heat method a shot. I would think sanding mylar would just give you a bunch of gummed up sandpaper.

Quoted from eagle18:

I used heat with a small putty knife to remove the Mylar from my MH last week. Just be easy with the heat. It came right up. Goo Gone removed the adhesive before sanding.

I had a couple different vendors Freeze Spray on my bench but neither helped in removing the mylar. But my heat gun on low setting...magic. Coming right up. I'll finish that this afternoon and then remove the adhesive residue...pretty sure I've got some Goo Gone in the garage. Thanx for the assist, guys.

#1472 3 years ago

Getting pretty close to having my EBD playfield tear down completed to get ready for sanding and installing a new hardtop. I'm stuck on the star rollover. Is there a recommended process for removing the housing/insert? I tried tapping it up from under the playfield but it's not budging. I don't care if it breaks or cracks as I have a new housing and a new star to install after the hardtop goes on, but I was wondering if there was an easy way to pop this out vs. shattering it with brute force and then cleaning up any remaining plastic bits stuck to the sides of the hole.

IMG_8187 (resized).jpgIMG_8187 (resized).jpg
#1474 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Use a heat gun, or blow dryer to loosen up the adhesive and It will pop right out.

Thanx, Apinjunkie - I'll give that a go later this afternoon!

#1476 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Use a heat gun, or blow dryer to loosen up the adhesive and It will pop right out.

Quoted from Mathazar:

Thanx, apinjunkie - I'll give that a go later this afternoon!

Worked great! Got a tad too warm to start and a tiny part of the plastic melted, but like I said I'm putting in a new housing anyway. Popped right out! On to Goo Gone to get the rest of the mylar residue up and I may be able to start sanding this weekend.

#1486 3 years ago

I started my EBD hardtop install this weekend if anyone wants to follow along:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-install-and-restoration-for-eight-ball-deluxe

#1489 3 years ago

My EBD playfield is all prepped and I'm doing an alignment test.....will probably install tomorrow. Question: my hardtop has two circular cutouts in the upper right and lower left portions of the playfield, but my playfield doesn't have these cutouts. What are they for?

My EBD is the 1984 Classic version if that makes a difference. All the inserts line up nicely and for the most part, the holes line up as well. Will have to make a dozen or so trimming adjustments and put in holes were one or two are missing. Gotta love the manufacturing variances of 1980's pinball machines!

IMG_8235a (resized).jpgIMG_8235a (resized).jpgIMG_8236a (resized).jpgIMG_8236a (resized).jpgIMG_8237 (resized).jpgIMG_8237 (resized).jpg
#1497 3 years ago

Cool- I wonder why they dropped that extra hole and GI light from the upper right in later playfield runs? I would think that plastic would actually look better with the extra light! FWIW, that same cut out in the upper right is present on my Mata Hari and my Black Jack, and both have a extra GI run there.

#1499 3 years ago

Question on the Eight Ball Deluxe hardtop (looks great, BTW....I just laid mine down this afternoon). Is there supposed to be adhesive under the small, narrow clear strip that goes to the outside of the shooter lane? I seem to recall there was on the Mata Hari hardtop I installed last year but there doesn't appear to be on the Eight Ball Deluxe. It'll get secured by the rail set when those are screwed in anyway, just curious.

IMG_8238 (resized).jpgIMG_8238 (resized).jpg
#1503 3 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

Evening everyone,
I'm starting my BK install and have both play fields sanded and the jewels polished to 2500 ive seen several post and or videos saying that i should paint black around all the jewels so there is no white wood showing through places that done align correctly my question is should i put a few coats of clear down and then after its cured paint the black and then clear again or just paint and then clear ?
Thanks Bruce

FWIW, I've done two hardtops now (Mata Hari and Eight Ball Deluxe) and neither had ANY alignment issues with inserts resulting in bare wood showing. I did put black outlines around some inserts on the first Mata Hari I did and ran into all sorts of bleeding issues...I'm sure it was my inexperience and a lot of people have had success with it, but in the end I sanded all that off, didn't do the outlines, and the inserts still lined up and came out perfect. Same for EBD...I didn't even attempt at putting down black outlines on that one (just did it yesterday!).

I had other alignment issues with holes that didn't line up with the playfield (in fact a lot are way off and in some cases missing altogether) but that's expected and fairly easily correctable provided you can keep your heart rate down while taking a Dremel to your brand new $300 hardtop.

#1507 3 years ago

Putting the finishing touches on playfield reassembly after installing an EBD hardtop - moving on to cabinet refresh and coin door rebuild next week.

Does anyone know what these holes in the hardtop are for?? I don't have corresponding holes in my playfield, and they're right in the ball path of both in-lanes.

IMG_8306a (resized).jpgIMG_8306a (resized).jpg
#1515 3 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe hardtop owners....do you have these two holes in your hardtop and playfield? These holes are not in my playfield, wondering if this is a hardtop mistake or if my playfield (1984 "Classic" edition) is different than the 1981 original that was used to make the prototype hardtop.

IMG_8306a (resized).jpgIMG_8306a (resized).jpg
#1517 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Not sure why they are there but there is nothing that you can do at this point. At least the ball won't hit them. If they really bother you, fill them in with something black to hide them a little. On the hardtops website, you can just barely see indents in these two spots, but they are still filled. Maybe they popped out and are still in the shipping packaging and you could pop them back in?

That was a good idea to check the hardtop bag to see if the chads popped out in there, but unfortunately I came up empty. I do plan on filling in those spots with something dark at some point, but I'm hoping to hear from Outside Edge first before I make any mods there. On the plus side, it's not visible from a playing position....only comes into view if you lean forward.

#1524 3 years ago
Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

For anyone considering installing a hardtop or looking for tips on installation, I put together a three part tutorial going over my process. Parts one and two are prep work and part three is the installation and adjustments to the hardtop. I hope this helps.

Very nice job on the videos - great production value as well as content! I've done two hardtop installs so far and I picked up a few tips from your videos that I'll be using on my third install later this summer.

1 month later
#1604 3 years ago

For me, I also have to consider the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). She could care less what a pin looks like if I have it in the garage, but if I want to bring a pin into our family rec room / home theater room (where I currently have 7), the cab can't look like a beater. Nicks or scratches here and there are fine, but legs/coin doors can't be rusty, paint/decals can't be peeling or significantly fading, and no big cab holes/gouges or areas of de-lamination.

It's a small price to pay for her actually allowing me to grow my hobby and bring pins into the house. Plus, it forces me to expand my skill set into areas where I previously had little to no experience (working with wood and painting/stenciling).

1 week later
#1611 3 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

Well I finally managed to get BK Finished for the most part.

Looks really nice! I picked up a Black Knight hardtop a few weeks ago for a fall/winter project. What kind of issues, if any, did you have with getting the ramps level with the playfield after the hardtop went in? Did you have to make any adjustments like in Cary Hardy's BK hardtop install video?

#1613 3 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

I also applied some black paint around all the jewels to allow for any alignment error around the openings on the hardtop then clear them.

What kind of paint did you use? I did a Mata Hari hardtop last year - all inserts lined up great so I didn't need to paint any outlines (did need to widen out several holes with a Dremel). I'm doing an Eight Ball Deluxe hard top now - after taking off all artwork down to bare wood and polishing the inserts (I went to 2000), I put on a few light coats of rattle can clear last weekend so it should be ok by now. My test alignment this morning shows all inserts lining up great except for one that's a little off (the Eight Ball). Was going to paint just that one edge area around the 8-ball tonight using Liquitex Black Gesso (see picture), then decide if I'm going to put down the hardtop tomorrow or add a little clear over that really small area of new paint and wait to lay down the hardtop next weekend.

I used that Liquitex Black Gesso to repaint the top saucer of my Mata Hari black and that's held up well but it's not under the hardtop for me to gauge how that paint will behave under the EBD hardtop. So what did you use to paint your insert outlines? Thanx....

IMG_8784 (resized).jpgIMG_8784 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1644 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I've always wondered how much of a pain in the butt it would be to remove that if I had to, maybe you can let us know.

I've had to re-do one. It's not pretty.

#1652 3 years ago

I've experienced both:

Mata Hari - hardtop installed March 2019. Original artwork sanded off. No clear coat applied before hardtop install. 18 months and several hundred games later, still looks and plays like new.

Eight Ball Deluxe (Attempt 1) - hardtop installed May 2020. Original artwork sanded off. No clear coat applied before hardtop install. After 2 to 3 weeks, hardtop developed 4 significant areas of "lifting" (bubbles) ranging in size from a square inch to several square inches.

Eight Ball Deluxe (Attempt 2) - first hardtop removed (that was an adventure!) and 2nd one installed in early August 2020. Playfield re-sanded after ink and adhesive residue removed. Three light coats of rattle can Clear (Rustoleum) applied with a week of outgassing allowed between the last coat of clear and the hardtop installation. So far, after nearly 4 weeks and 100+ games, no issues.

Outside Edge was outstanding with their prompt help, support and recommendations - they took care of me and my situation, and they still have a happy customer.

While it was huge pain to re-do the hardtop, it did give me the opportunity to do some stuff I had thought about doing (but did not) the first go around:
- Totally disassemble the three pop bumpers, ultrasonic clean and tumble the individual metal parts, and reassemble with new springs and coil sleeves
- Put in Molex connectors for all of the coils allowing for quicker reinstall and easier future maintenance for when assemblies need to be removed

#1658 3 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

Bruce, were the few issues with lifting that occurred, seen within a relatively short timeframe after the install?

In my instance with Eight Ball Deluxe, lifting started about 2 weeks after install.

#1659 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Any idea if the ones that lifted had the pf completely sanded? The instructions had been to sand the inserts and surrounding areas, but complete artwork removal was not necessary. Just wondering if it was lifting from sanded wood or retained artwork areas.

In my instance with Eight Ball Deluxe, the lifting was from sanded wood (without clearing before putting down the hardtop). I chose to remove all of the artwork to repair rough areas on the playfield. I did the same process on Mata Hari a year ago with no issues, but will certainly be applying a few layers of clear after sanding on all my future hardtop installs.

#1677 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Just curious if people with ebd issues were using leds along with hardtop?

I'm using LEDs for inserts and incandescents for GI and the backbox.

1 week later
#1689 3 years ago
Quoted from xamindar:

I started lookinf around these forums and found lots of examples.

Hopefully you found this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-in-all-metal-pf-rotisseries-for-18000-shipped

Great rotisserie - solid as a rock and looks great too if you go for the powder coated option.

1 week later
#1707 3 years ago
Quoted from xamindar:

What's wrong with using something smaller and more precise like a dremel?

I've had great success adjusting hardtop holes with a dremel. Very precise with a steady hand and a multitude of inexpensive bits to choose.

#1723 3 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

Great job! Love the flipper and rubber color choices.

+1

2 weeks later
#1745 3 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I did a time lapse of all the work I did to my SS, but the crappy vinyl sticker I put down is completely jacked (my fault most likely because I sprayed it with poly). So I can’t wait to be able to “get it right!”

Indeed, that's a very cool video. Nicely produced!

1 month later
#1764 3 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Question, my playfield is sanded and clear coated. How long should I wait before installing the hardtop? I have read "when it is dry" and "allow multiple days for gassing out". Thanks.

Guidance from Outside Edge is "several days" for outgassing. I waited a week to be sure - a few light coats of clear on a Sunday and put on the hardtop the following Saturday.

2 months later
#1842 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Can anybody tell me what the shelf life is on a hardtop? I want to buy one soon for my Comet but could be 5 years out from the install. My concern is that the adhesive might go bad. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

In addition to the data sheet mrm_4 provided above, I'd recommend sending a PM to pinsider outsidedge. He/they make the hardtop and I'm sure you can get the proper skinny from him.

FWIW - My MH hardtop sat on my shelf for 6 months before I installed it. 18 months and hundreds of plays later, still like new.

2 months later
#1950 3 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Question: Should the holes in the hardtop be drilled out so all posts sit flush with the original playfield wood? Or is it pending which posts sit on wood and some sit on the hardtop. I know it was mentioned that screwing in posts too tight could lift the hardtop; just confirming the correct methodology.

Based on my experience, I would say no, there's no reason to add that complexity to an install and actually increase the potential for causing cosmetic damage to the hardtop. The mention of screwing in posts too tight causing hardtop lifts was, IMO, just another idea to explain the rash of hardtop failures last year on EBD and other titles. Those instances of hardtop failures were eventually root caused down to a manufacturing issue with the adhesive (OE's ink supplier changed the formula without consulting OE). It took several months to get to the bottom of those failures, but it has been corrected.

2 weeks later
#1965 3 years ago

I can't comment on the color mismatches for your title, but rollover holes are *not* opened up (by design). You must open them up yourself....it's actually fairly easy to do with a Dremel and you should do after the hardtop is laid down and installed on the playfield.

From the Hardtop FAQ (http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/hardtop-faq.html):

Rollovers OE (resized).jpgRollovers OE (resized).jpg
#1968 3 years ago

Of course there are lighting differences, but KnockerPTSD 's HS certainly looks lighter in the grays, and even the blue, vs. KSUWildcatFan 's. Worth reaching out to OE to at least ask if maybe there was a run issue on that particular HS.

HS HT (resized).jpgHS HT (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1985 2 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

Hoping for Bally Strikes and Spares. Then 100% of my games will have hardtops and roll smooth as glass.

That would be a fun one to install.....10 rollovers!

2 months later
#2056 2 years ago

I just picked up a project Meteor. Meteor please please please please!!

1 month later
#2112 2 years ago
Quoted from SWMurphy:

I'm looking at purchasing an unused hardtop form someone who purchased it about a year or so ago. It is still in its original packaging. Do we know how long they should last for unused? I'm worried i may have 6 months or so before i use it but its a good deal and i'd hate to pass it up if there's no harm in it siting for a little bit.

I've got no data to back this up, but I do recall reading somewhere that the adhesive backing on the hardtop is good for about a year sitting on the shelf before installation. After that, it starts to diminish.

3 weeks later
#2137 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sigh...
We'd have a lot more playfield options if they weren't duplicating each other's efforts

I don't see it so much as duplicating each other's efforts. They are different products catering to differing markets and levels of refurbishment:

Hardtop: $300
Sometimes requires as little as partial top level tear down only, sometimes a full topside tear down, could be installed in as little as a weekend if motivated. Caters to the casual pinhead looking to spruce up his machine as quickly and economically as possible.

Repro Playfield: $800-$1000
Requires total teardown and rebuild of both topside and bottom side taking anywhere from a few weeks to a few months depending on the knowledge and skills of the pinhead doing the work. May require additional time for clear curing, or even a re-clear if not satisfied with the factory finish, adding more time and requiring more skills to do the job. Caters to the top level pinheads and purists wanting to fully restore a machine.

In my experience I've found that most folks/purists who do playfield swaps wouldn't entertain doing a hardtop even if a hardtop is available for a title where there is no repro playfield being made. And vice versa - the economically challenged or those who lack the skills or time tend to stick to hardtops and wouldn't attempt a repro playfield swap even if that was the only thing available for their title.

The point being....both CPR and Outside Edge are interested in making sales. Even in cases with duplicate titles, they're each catering to their respective markets and those respective markets rarely intersect.

#2139 2 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I will agree full swaps are more work and more expensive. I’ve done two hardtops and would not regard them as a casual’s project, per se. There is no “partial” upper playfield tear down. Everything comes off the top side. They recommend putting down a coat of clear(rattle can is fine) after sanding it down. Also, there is always a bit of hole alignment drilling to be done on the hardtop. I replaced all the inserts on the two I did. Obviously you don’t have to do that if you don’t want to. I realize that purists don’t like them and that is totally fine. Now, I have a Frontier which I love and isn’t in too bad a shape. I may very well send that playfield to someone to touch up and clear Vs put a hardtop on it. I just think it’s nice to have a variety of options to make games nice whether it’s a full swap, touch up or hardtop.

I've done three hardtops myself (two EBD and one MH) with a BK in the queue. The MH was my first - I left the DT banks and slingshot mechs in so I did have some stuff poking thru the top as I laid down the hardtop but I see your point. OK - full topside tear down needed. I didn't clear anything...just sanded off the insert artwork and then wet sanded the inserts to get them nice, smooth, and shiny.

When I did the two EBD's, I did remove some mechs for cleaning in addition to everything topside. I also did put a light coat of rattlecan clean on them instead of wet sanding the inserts before putting the hardtop tops down. Either method works IMO - not sure yet which one I'll use for the upcoming Black Knight.

Just finished my first playfield swap to a CPR Meteor and working on fixing the cabinet now before a re-stenciling. If Outside Edge offered a Meteor hardtop, I would've taken that in a second over a CPR playfield. And the only reason I got the CPR playfield was that a local guy was selling it so cheap I couldn't resist it (never used but had the "missing METEOR DT score values" blemish/omission). I got the swap done, but it's too nerve-wracking for me to be drilling dozens and dozens of holes in a $900 playfield, fearing I'm going to ruin it at any moment. I did make a bunch of mistakes but in the end was able to recover. Not worth the high blood pressure, tho....give me a hardtop any day!

#2142 2 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

That’s funny I was tempted with the exact same scenario on CPR Meteor repro that a friend got. He ended up sending it back.

A fellow pinsider hooked me up with the waterslide for the scores. I applied it and using a small brush, covered it up with some automotive touchup clear to feather in the edges (I've used this same stuff to protect saucers and kickouts I've repainted and it's held up great so I'm pretty confident in the durability). I know some people would've re-cleared the whole playfield after adding the scores waterslide but this is good enough for me!

METEOR DT Bank Scores (resized).jpgMETEOR DT Bank Scores (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2153 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Am I supposed to trim it to make it fit?

These older playfields have lots of variances to take into consideration, especially holes for posts, rails, etc. It's expected to have to trim, widen holes, or even drill new (missing) holes in the hardtop. I've done 4 so far, but while I haven't had to make any shooter lane adjustments in any of them it doesn't surprise me too much.

The most important thing: Line up the insert artwork dead-nuts so they're all perfect and clamp the hardtop down. From there, widen or add needed holes in the hardtop with a dremel, file, or xacto and trim as necessary.

3 months later
#2270 2 years ago

Product line is expanding in 2022.....

oe (resized).jpgoe (resized).jpg
#2276 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Shouldn't I be using a block sander instead of a variable sander?

Tons of folks (including myself) have used orbital sanders to strip a playfield to bare wood in preparation for a hardtop. No issues a long as you continuously apply even pressure and avoid creating dips.

Quoted from pb456:

Early SS playfields - were they using lead based paint? If so, advice on sanding as to not create a hazard?

Definitely true for early SS cabinets, probably true (seems logical) for the same playfields. Use a good rated mask (and protective eyewear) when sanding and attach a shop vac to your orbital sander and you'll be fine. Best to do it outdoors if you can so that any loose, escaped lead laden particles don't perch on your cars, boxes, and whatever other surfaces you have in your garage or workshop.

Don't forget - removing artwork from the playfield is an OPTIONIAL prep prior to putting down the hardtop. I've done it a couple of times just because of my anal retentive nature, but all you have to do is sand off the artwork from your inserts and buff out/shine-up those inserts before you lay down the hardtop (wet sand and/or dry sand + some clear, rattle can ok). One of the reasons I sanded the complete playfield artwork off is that particular playfield surface had some really rough spots (gouges / divots) and I used wood filler to ensure there were no cavities between the playfield surface and the underside of the hardtop.

4 weeks later
#2308 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

My next two HTs are officially started.
[quoted image]

Ha! That reminds me of a couple of years ago when I picked up two, non-working project Mata Hari's to build "one good one". Wound up hard topping and restoring one (which I still have) and getting the other one working well enough to sell it as a player's machine to fund the restoration of the other!

Man, I love this hobby....

Seeing Double (resized).jpgSeeing Double (resized).jpgIMG_9818 (resized).JPGIMG_9818 (resized).JPGIMG_9903 (resized).JPGIMG_9903 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#2323 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I sanded my Flash Gordon playfield last night getting it ready for the Hardtop and it feels a little lumpy when I run my hand across it. Did anyone else have this happen, and will it be an issue when I install the Hardtop? Also how fine of sandpaper did you go to on the inserts? I plan on coating it with 2PAC before laying down the Hardtop.

When I prep playfields for hardtops, I use 220 with an orbital sander (and light pressure) to get the artwork off. Then follow up with block sanding at 400/600 to make sure the playfield is as level as possible.

The hardtop is rigid enough that if there are valleys in the playfield surface as a result of too-aggressive sanding that it would not be noticed. However, I wouldn't want any of those voids to be too big, so I'd recommend flattening them out as much as possible.

All of this is really overkill, anyway....you don't need to remove any artwork or do massive sanding. Just make sure your inserts are free of artwork and focus on those....eliminate the potential for jacking up your playfield surface with aggressive sanding.

2PAC is overkill too, IMO. I've done it with no clear and focusing on wet sanding only inserts (220/600/800/1200), I've done it laying down rattle can clear to "seal" the surface before putting down the hardtop, and I see no difference (and it's going on a couple of years for a few of my hardtop installs).

#2345 2 years ago
Quoted from Zero_Hour:

My technique was to align using the inserts as guides. I used a flashlight above and below insets to check for bare wood, or overhang. The two clamps in the picture were all I used to secure the hardtop once I had it aligned, just before adhering it to the playfield.

Exactly how I do it, too.

#2379 2 years ago

I know that OE recommends this to ensure the strongest bond possible, but how many are really doing this. How many think its a waste of time?

In my conversations with OE, they recommended clear coating as a measure to "seal" the playfield surface in an effort to contain any contaminants that could possibly interfere with the hardtop's bonding agent(s). I should note that this recommendation came about a year or so ago when OE was experiencing MANY hardtop failures in the field where customers experienced bubbling and lifting within days of installing the hardtop. I was one of those customers.

In the end, those hardtop failures, including mine (x2), were attributed to the OE printer vendor changing formulas for their adhesive WITHOUT notifying OE. It took upwards of 10 months for Bruce to nail down that root cause, and all during that time of the field failures he was pointing towards inadequate prep work on the playfield, prior to laying down the hardtop, as the cause for the bubbling and lifting. Bruce is stand-up guy....while it was a PITA on my side to rip off two hardtop and replace with new ones (with the CORRECT adhesive formula), he replaced them for free for me even before he got to the ultimate root cause of his printer vendor really screwing him.

So....like KSUWildcatFan said, do what makes you happy / feel safe. IMO, clearcoating is overkill. I did it once for one one hardtop (rattle can clear), but all the others I've done I just sanded away the artwork to get things nice and level and rid the playfield surface of years of wax and grime. And then wet sand the inserts to a nice polish.

#2388 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I'm probably the outlier ha. Did a Taxi a while back, just sanded everything off and put the hard top on with no clear. Works great, plays great, no issues. If I ever do another one I doubt I'd bother clearing it but YMMV.

You're not an outlier, or at the very least we can be a group of outliers. Did a Mata Hari hardtop nearly 3 years ago, no clear, almost daily use since then, and it still looks and plays like new. Ditto for my EBD I did a couple years ago and a BK I did for a buddy last year.

3 weeks later
#2459 2 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

Hey VID, where are those led available through?
They look like 4 led's and I like how they are wired from under the playfield.

Pop Bumper Discs: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/pop-bumper-discs

#2466 2 years ago

It's possible to remove a hardtop, but it is NOT FUN AT ALL. If ya'll remember a couple years ago OE had that infamous run of hardtops with the bad batch of adhesive (their print vendor changed an ingredient in OE's adhesive formula without notifying OE). The result was many customers experienced bubbling, lifting, and damaged artwork on their hardtops within days of installation. I was one of those customers - mine was Eight Ball Deluxe. OE did us right by replacing the hardtop with a free one, but wow was it labor intensive to get the old one off. Setting aside the time and effort to pull out the playfield and teardown the topside again, it took me about 15 hours (across multiple days) to get every bit of glue remnants off of the playfield and ready for a new hardtop.

The bad hardtop itself came off ok with some muscle. The glue and artwork it left behind....yikes. 15 hours of GooGone and scraper work. And it's not like all of the pieces came off in big chunks....there were tons and tons of little pieces to get off (my hands hurt for days). But, in the end, the replacement hardtop with the corrected adhesive formula worked great and still looks/plays like new 100's of games later.

IMG_8812 (resized).JPGIMG_8812 (resized).JPGIMG_8813 (resized).JPGIMG_8813 (resized).JPGIMG_8732 (resized).jpgIMG_8732 (resized).jpgIMG_8733 (resized).JPGIMG_8733 (resized).JPGIMG_8746 (resized).jpgIMG_8746 (resized).jpgIMG_8747 (resized).jpgIMG_8747 (resized).jpgIMG_8768 (resized).jpgIMG_8768 (resized).jpgIMG_8627 (resized).JPGIMG_8627 (resized).JPG
#2475 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

HS Hardtop done and I'm very pleased w the results. At first fitment I was skeptical. I even sent it back to get it checked out. I did have to relocate the flipper rest pins and buffer wires below the flippers. Many holes were off but with the right tools and patients, it all worked out. Most of the holes are covered by posts or something, so they are mostly hidden when all done.
I did a couple minor lighting mods, one was adding flex LED's under the star rollovers and then I added a translucent tray under the saucer and lit that up as well.
I can't say weather or not this is an easier job than a straight up pf swap. I guess it depends on the title. This game also needed a ton of work under the PF as far as mechanical parts and lamp sockets. So this turned into a partial restore.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks beautiful - quite jealous! I'm getting re-acquainted with a High Speed at my local bowling center after not playing it for 20+ years. Now I want one! Nice touch with the red powder coated ball habitrails!

1 month later
#2498 1 year ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

THIS. You HAVE to sand the pf flat before you lay down the hardtop. If you don't do that, it's not going to be level.

That depends. The beauty of the hardtop, beside the looks, cost, ease of installation, and playability is that the PET-G plastic that it's made of is rigid enough that it can "bridge" small dips in the playfield, most notably cupped inserts, and make the playfield perfectly flat. Where I can see "lumps" in the playfield occurring:

- Someone got a little over-enthusiastic with the orbital sander when removing artwork from the inserts and, without applying the same enthusiasm to the rest of the playfield, created dips large enough that the hardtop could not overcome them and the hardtop "lifted" due to lack of adhesive mass.

- The hardtop installed was from that batch about 18 months ago that had a defect in the adhesive/ink formula. This affected dozens of shipped hardtops, many of which got installed before the problem was caught and corrected (I know, I was one of those people). The most affected titles in this bad batch were EBD and BK.

- Installer did not remove ALL protruding or proud objects from the playfield before installing. Most common offenders in this category are the little wood "lips" that get created in the playfield from screws and posts overly tightened over 35+ years.

2 weeks later
#2626 1 year ago

Just to add about dealing with star rollovers with hardtops....it's right in the installation instructions and FAQ on Outside Edge's website:

OE also has this video on their website showing how to enlarge the star rollover hole on the hardtop, after installation, and prior to putting in a new star rollover:

http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/uploads/b/890360-583207973742842823/keith_hardtop_wizard_rollover_890.mp4

1 month later
#2672 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Mathazar did you end doing 3 coats like the instructions are saying or...? any sanding?

I sanded out the ball wear/track areas of the upper arch and the shooter lane itself, then put down two coats of poly sanding 800 between coats. Happy with the results....here's what it looked like before popping it back into the restored cabinet:

z80 (resized).jpgz80 (resized).jpg
#2675 1 year ago
Quoted from pookycade:

We finally installed a hardtop on our Space Shuttle. It was in fact one of the first they ever released (bought in the first week it was available), but only just now got around to installing (mainly because I didn't do it someone with more time and patience than me did). So it looks absolutely gorgeous, I love it, but there is one small problem. The hardtop is lifting ever so slightly where the light blue circle is.

The Space Shuttle hardtop came out 3 or 4 years ago, right, and you bought about when it first came out? IIRC, the shelf life of the adhesive is only a couple of years and the hardtop should be installed within that timeframe in order to have the most secure bond (which in turn should last for years and years after the installation). It's quite probable that the adhesive is starting to fail because of the installation not taking place within those initial two years. I'd recommend reaching out to Outside Edge to confirm that and see if they have any remedy recommendations. Barring that, if this winds up being the only isolated failure point, your idea of shooting a syringe of epoxy in the cavity and clamping or weighting it down for bonding is a good one. Your lifting is in a bad spot, tho, so like you point out you have to very, very careful in drilling from underneath to reach it. I used the syringe method once on an EBD hardtop that failed with a small lift point in the right in-lane, but fortunately I had an entry point near the edge of a lamp cutout to shoot in the epoxy without having to drill any holes.

Repair 02 (resized).jpgRepair 02 (resized).jpgRepair 04 (resized).jpgRepair 04 (resized).jpg
#2681 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Hey All,
So I'm going to be doing a hardtop for my Black Knight this fall, I was curious if Outside Edge includes shims for the ramps now or do they just add some extra material to create shims from?
Thinking about the approach here is all, I'm wondering if it makes sense to fill the divot areas where the ramp flaps attach with epoxy and sand it all flat/flush with the original playfield - Before adding the hardtop. Then once the hardtop is added, I'd need to shim under the ramp flap as well (but the shim would be the exact thickness of the hardtop)
Does this make sense to do or am I overthinking it?
Thanks

You're not overthinking it.

I got a Black Knight hardtop a few months ago and it came with an extra strip of clear hardtop material (PET-G) to use as shims. FWIW, I did not fill in those divot areas. My thinking was that if the original playfield and the original divot areas worked fine at the ramp entrances height-wise before the hardtop install (they did), that adding the hardtop to the top of the playfield and also adding the provided hardtop shim to the divot area I'll get the same height ratio. In my rotisserie, that does appear to be the case after installation....the transition seems pretty smooth/level to me. The proof will come when the playfield is positioned in the proper slope.

I'm working on painting the cabinet now, so it'll be a few weeks before the playfield is installed. But I'm pretty confident it'll be ok.

3 weeks later
#2691 1 year ago
Quoted from RCW:

Yes!! My Taxi hardtop arrived this morning!! Busily cleaning the parts that can be cleaned and buying replacements where needed.
I've seen pics of people using wooden boxes to hold the playfield while they clear coat and apply the hard top - I noticed a post earlier in this thread talking about a torsion box, which is beyond what I need. I want to ask my dad (woodworking expert) to make a box that will hold the playfield with its components underneath, but I can't find any plans or even dimensions for making such a box. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

No need IMO....I just use two sawhorses at either end of the playfield and the underside parts just hang freely underneath. I've done it in a rotisserie as well, but frankly it's easier to apply the hardtop using sawhorses. At least for me.

IMG_6334 (resized).JPGIMG_6334 (resized).JPG07 - Mased for Clearing Inserts (resized).jpg07 - Mased for Clearing Inserts (resized).jpgIMG_6493 (resized).jpgIMG_6493 (resized).jpg
#2694 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

If that's all you needed to sand then you didn't need a hardtop.

What an ill-informed statement. Take your 65% Thumbs ratio and go troll another thread.

#2696 1 year ago
Quoted from RCW:

My only concern about balancing on sawhorses or paint pots, apart from the possibility of knocking it over, is the dust that can get into everything beneath the playfield if it's not protected or surrounded by anything while sanding, which is why I thought a box might be a good idea.

While that's possible, using compressed air will take care of that. I've got a little portable air compressor that I use for that kind of thing, but a can or two of "computer duster" compressed air would work just as well.

#2705 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Question for those that apply clear before adhering the hardtop - I know its recommended to have a layer or two of light clear in case of contaminants in the wood over the years, do I have to worry about sanding these few applications before laying the hardtop down? I'd imagine no as it's just for sealing the wood prior....

Nope, no need to sand.

#2709 1 year ago

Damn, I thought he went away.

2 weeks later
#2742 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Without building a box/frame, are there any tricks laying down / supporting the PF while doing the HT install? I was thinking cardboard/towel on workbench, but it seems the mechs would make it way too uneven.

Discussed a few weeks ago....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/54#post-7072373

2 weeks later
#2769 1 year ago
Quoted from ROMM:

would all of this work really be necessary? Sanding the playfield completely of all paint, resanding multiple times and then clear coating?

Not really, no. I've done 8 hardtop installs now with half of them "going all the way" like that and the other half just sanding artwork off inserts, wet sanding the inserts, and putting down a layer of rattle can clear and letting it outgas for a week or so before laying down the hardtop. All those pins are still going strong, playing and looking like new, with the earlier ones being done about 3 years ago now.

You're going to get a lot people telling you that you absolutely have to do all that prep work and just as many people telling you that you don't. It's up to you. When in doubt, start with the instructions that Outside Edge includes with each hardtop.

Outside Edge Hardtop Install Instructions, Page 1 (resized).jpgOutside Edge Hardtop Install Instructions, Page 1 (resized).jpgOutside Edge Hardtop Install Instructions, Page 2 (resized).jpgOutside Edge Hardtop Install Instructions, Page 2 (resized).jpg
#2779 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Can confirm, it's NOT fun.

True Dat.

IMG_8812 (resized).JPGIMG_8812 (resized).JPGIMG_8813 (resized).JPGIMG_8813 (resized).JPGIMG_8746 (resized).jpgIMG_8746 (resized).jpgIMG_8747 (resized).jpgIMG_8747 (resized).jpgIMG_8754 (resized).JPGIMG_8754 (resized).JPGIMG_8755 (resized).jpgIMG_8755 (resized).jpgIMG_8641 (resized).JPGIMG_8641 (resized).JPG
#2785 1 year ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

What caused yours to fail?

In early 2020, Outside Edge produced a batch of hardtops that started failing in the field (lifting/bubbles and damaged/flaked artwork in high impact areas, like around pop bumpers). I know it affected EBD and BK titles, perhaps more. I worked with OE on this over the phone and through email for about 2 to 3 weeks and convinced them I did all the proper prep work before laying down the hardtop. At that same time, they got more reports of the same type of failures spiking within 1 to 2 weeks time.

Their investigation turned up this: their ink manufacturer played around with the chemistry without telling OE, opting to use different (cheaper) materials. This resulted in several incidents of adhesion failure.

In the end, OE made good with all those affected by shipping them new hardtops with their original chemistry for ink and adhesion (I believe they also changed who they used to manufacture their ink as well). They claim that everything they make now is actually more durable than before that problem started. Having done two more hardtops since then, I'd say they're right.

1 week later
#2801 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

I’ve seen a lot of sunken inserts, but what about areas under overtightened posts? Should I fill with plastic wood and sand flush?
[quoted image]

I agree with Aflacjack - the PET-G hardtop material is 1/32" thick and rigid enough that those small cavities don't require any filler before laying down the hardtop. Possible exception might be that little divot in the middle-right of your picture....be sure to clear out what looks to be loose fibers/debris first. MAYBE put a small blob of JBWeld wood epoxy in that divot and sand down if you want to be super-cautious about containing future debris in there, but it's likely unnecessary.

#2823 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

Was just placed on top of the playfiled to see, I specified that.
Anyhow the holes are in need to be adjusted. I got few tips how to do that.
I'll post updates

I think what Charles_Kline is saying that you can tell your test alignment is off by the wood showing through the inserts. If you nudge the hardtop up and to the right a smidge so that the inserts are correctly lined up, the button holes will also be better aligned at which point you can dremel out any excess hardtop material.

2 weeks later
#2849 1 year ago
Quoted from dq13:

How are the early cohorts of Hardtops doing? I'm one and a half years post-install and it still looks great. Just checking in on any longitudinal data out there.

For me....

Mata Hari: installed in 2020. Over 1000 plays later, still looks and plays like new.
Eight Ball Deluxe #1: installed in 2020. Probably 500 plays since install, still looks and plays like new.
Eight Ball Deluxe #2: installed in 2021. Did a flip/resale on this one last year. Buyer hasn't come back to me asking for help or money back, so a good sign.
Black Knight: installed several weeks ago and just got the system reassembled this week. Hope to log a couple hundred games by the end of the year.

I just picked up a Night Rider project a few weeks ago - would love to see a hardtop for this title but I'll likely have to go the CPR playfield route.

#2853 1 year ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

My early space shuttle from 2017 looks and plays great but over time the balls pick up some kind of gunk. I don't know if it's from a surface coating or what. I have to clean or replace them about every 50 games.

Do you clean and/or treat your hardtop? Solenoid / switch dust will make their way to the playfield, especially if you didn't replace with new or clean/rebuild assemblies when you put the hardtop in. Balls will pick up that stuff over time and get gunky.

Every 100 plays or so, I wipe down my hardtops with a clean cloth and "wax" with Maguires spray cleaner. In addition to keeping them clean, it really helps to keep ball motion lively. Although OE says you can wax a hardtop just like a playfield, most people I've talked to don't and while I don't do that myself, I do clean it regularly with that stuff.

#2857 1 year ago

I am questioning if there is any value to waxing the HT at all because of the non-porous surface.

The notion of it being a non-porous surface isn't addressed, but OE has this comment in the FAQ on their website:
wax.jpgwax.jpg

http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/hardtop-faq.html

1 month later
#2932 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

What have other BK hardtop installers done to solve those?

I bought this 24"x24" sheet of PETG 3 years ago to use as leveling shims for situations like this. Shows as "unavailable" now but I'm sure there are others out there. It's been 3 years and I've used less than half of it so far:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015H2UMS

#2934 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Did you shim under the right rail side of the shooter lane on yours?

To the best of my recollection, I did not (I did this many months ago and was restoring 3 pins at the same time). I'm leaning towards no. I looked thru my resto pix but I don't have any good shots of that part of the build.

My digital level shows 6.5 for slope, and 0.0 left/right for both the bottom and upper playfields. That doesn't mean the potential of not having a shim there isn't evident....I just may not have noticed. I have to custom dial-in each of my 8 pins' leg levelers as my rec room finished basement floor is not 100% level...it's got some peaks and valleys here and there as the foundation settled on our new house build in 2016.

I'm almost wanting to take the upper playfield off now and put in a shim!

#2947 1 year ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Recently acquired an Eight Ball Deluxe with a hardtop that is lifting badly in several places. One area is so bad that someone drilled screws down into the playfield to hold it down
Any tips on removing a terribly installed hardtop? Didn’t find much searching “hardtop removal” in the forum search. Not sure if I want tackle the job or just sell the machine as is.

Actually, it does suck. At least in my experience. Pulling off, no problem. Cleaning up the residue left behind? Sucks.
IMG_8812 (resized).JPGIMG_8812 (resized).JPG
IMG_8813 (resized).JPGIMG_8813 (resized).JPG
IMG_8732 (resized).jpgIMG_8732 (resized).jpg
IMG_8733 (resized).JPGIMG_8733 (resized).JPG
IMG_8746 (resized).jpgIMG_8746 (resized).jpg
IMG_8747 (resized).jpgIMG_8747 (resized).jpg
IMG_8754 (resized).JPGIMG_8754 (resized).JPG
IMG_8755 (resized).jpgIMG_8755 (resized).jpg

#2973 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

I keep hearing that the hardtop will have lifting problems if it is installed a year after purchase. Is this true? Is there an official expiration date on the adhesive? If so, this should be disclosed when buying.
Looked around, nothing in the FAQ about this...
http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/hardtop-faq.html

2 years is what I go by, based on this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/8#post-4705231

#2978 1 year ago
Quoted from ROMM:

So are these things dated? How do you know you are not getting one that has been stored in a hot warehouse for too long? Sorry if these questions have been answered. Didn't see any of this information on the Outside edge website. I was also trying to find where their physical store location is at (if in a hot or humid area).

If you buy direct from OE, chances are the hardtop was made anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple of months from when you received it. If you buy thru a dealer (like Marcos) they may have had it in their inventory for some additional time on top of that.

General rule of thumb - if buy your hardtop and install it within ~18 months, you're fine from the "adhesive expiring" perspective.

2 weeks later
#3015 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

Would you guys hardtop this playfield?

Your game, your choice. Based on the planking, some art loss, and the hacky sticker job by a previous owner, I'd hardtop it and not look back.

#3028 1 year ago

Well I am glad this has come up because I was ready to drop coin for a AFM and a FH mirrored backglass. Is there any buyers remorse here with the backglasses from CPR? Or would it have been just as well to purchase repro translites?

I've purchased two CPR backglasses in the last three years - Mata Hari and Meteor. Meteor arrived mirrored as advertised, not painted silver. Both packed extremely well. No buyers remorse here.

1 week later
#3055 1 year ago

Sometimes you do have to make adjustments, especially for in-line drop targets (you don't want the ball getting stuck on top of a downed target, or "thumping" when rolling over them). I had to adjust the height of the 2x/3x/4x/5x in-line drop targets on my '84 EBD. Fortunately, you can adjust the height within the drop target mechanism itself on that game, no shims needed.

1 month later
#3084 1 year ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

So I am working on a game for a client and it has a hardtop that from what I understand was part of a bad batch. Outside Edge provided a new hardtop for my client, and my job is to install it. I have installed a few of them at this point, but I have never removed one. Any tips or tricks I should know about?

Here's my experience in this area:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-install-and-restoration-for-eight-ball-deluxe/page/3#post-5861443

Requires some strength at first to pull it off, then lots of patience (and GooGone) to scrape up the remaining ink and adhesive residue with a plastic scraper. It's rather tedious work.

2 months later
#3140 12 months ago
Quoted from ubbla:

How have they done the roll-over inserts?
Just a hole or..? Regluing new ones at the same height as the hardtop..?

You need to remove the rollover inserts and put them back after the hardtop goes down (preferably, replace with new and don't reuse the old one you popped out).

Here's a write-up and video explaining how to do it. Scroll down to the "Star Rollover" section:

https://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/hardtop-faq.html

#3148 12 months ago
Quoted from dq13:

This was a batch issue with this specific game title.

It also affected a run of Black Night. I had to tear up my EBD hardtop after the failure, but fortunately OE shipped me replacements for both and before I had installed my Black Knight.

If you don't want to research this thread for the gory details, here's the short version: OE's adhesive supplier changed the formula without notifying OE (they substituted a supposedly compatible chemical, which was less expensive, for the one tested and specified by OE). The formula change caused the printed artwork to lose its bond as well as its adhesiveness to the playfield surface. This resulted in "crackles" of artwork and "lifting" of the hardtop. OE got rid of that supplier and moved on to another with better business practices.

Dozens of hardtops were produced and shipped before OE discovered the true cause of the batch of field failures. I know of at least two titles, EBD and BK, that are affected but there could have been more. The date of hardtop production was around December 2020 to February 2021. Once OE acknowledged that the problem was on their end and that the spate of field failures were not pilot errors by the users, affected customers got free replacements. Bruce (the owner of OE) was really easy to work with through this ordeal.

2 months later
#3194 10 months ago

That came out very nice - well done!

2 months later
#3254 7 months ago
Quoted from jcar302:

What do you guys use an alignment points on space shuttle?

Not specific to Space Shuttle but in general for any hardtop installation: align with the inserts. Pay no attention to the dimples in the hardtop that are supposed to align with cut outs or holes for screws/etc as those can be fixed post installation with a dremel or xacto. Screw hole location can and does vary from pin to pin (think 1970's / 1980's manufacturing QA and line consistency in those days). You cannot fix inserts once the hardtop is laid down. So make sure all of your inserts are aligned properly before clamping down and starting to remove the adhesive backing.

Another note on inserts: highly advisable to paint in very wide keylines around each insert before laying down the hardtop. That will help if there is a slight misalignment upon lay down, or if there are the odd stray inserts that won't align (I've had that happen, and with the extra wide keylines I painted in before putting on the hardtop that "misalignment" was NOT noticeable). That will prevent bare wood or the original paint (if you did not sand away the artwork) from showing through after you've committed and laid down the hardtop.

#3257 7 months ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Thanks, my space shuttle playfield is completely blown out. My plan was to paint black around the inserts, but you are suggesting blue?

Not suggesting blue....I didn't mention a specific color and assumed you'd do black.

2 weeks later
#3262 6 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

I can't find a good answer on my googling:
Naptha on hardtop? Yea or nay? Will it damage it? If it will damage, what product should I use instead?
Thanks!

Better question is why? I doubt Naphtha would harm it - the artwork is printed under the PET-G hardtop. But if you're looking to clean the surface, you can use just about any Spray and Wax type cleaner. I wipe my hardtop pins down (three of them) every few months with Wizards Mystic Spray Wax.

3 months later
#3287 3 months ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

What kinda paint

rack-em-up - I think he's asking what kind of paint for the black key lines. FWIW, I use the same 2X Ultra Cover Clear as you when I'm ready to seal.

For the black key lines, you want acrylic so the paint won't run when you clear over it. I use Posca acrylic paint pens....the 0.7mm nib helps for accuracy. Just draw around the inserts with a steady hand. Since it's water based, if you mess up just wipe it away with your finger or cloth before it sets/dries and try again. https://www.amazon.com/Marker-Supplies-School-Fabric-Markers/dp/B001B2OKIE

1 month later
#3303 55 days ago

Looks like Supersonic is on the way

11 star rollovers....that'll be fun!

#3305 55 days ago
Quoted from newovad:

Beats cleaning the clear out of a the CPR playfield rollovers, or so I’ve heard.

I can attest to that. I did Meteor (3) a couple years ago and Flash (5) this year. One of the biggest pains in both restorations....getting the clear out of the star inserts without breaking said inserts. Nerve wracking.

#3311 54 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hopefully they start including some scrap plastic to shim up inline Drop Targets and the like

The last hardtop I did (Black Knight, pre-hardtop 2.0) had some extra clear PET-G scrap material in the box that I used as shims for the ramp entrances. Hopefully that's common practice now for Outside Edge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.