• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 51 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1307 votes by 787 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3322 (resized).jpg
391735939_806303518171699_5751947203509962681_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4605 (resized).jpeg
FP2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,332 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 67.
#1002 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Okay I am prepared to use this to clear the PF. Anyone think this product is a bad idea?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-11-5-fl-oz-Gloss-Oil-based-Polyurethane/999913663

Shooter lane and wood you should be fine, I'd worry about any polyurethane yellowing over time if used on inserts.

#1003 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Shooter lane and wood you should be fine, I'd worry about any polyurethane yellowing over time if used on inserts.

I agree

#1004 4 years ago

I've read conflicting opinions about using water based poly. Some claim it doesn't yellow as bad as oil based. But this is beyond my pay grade.

** And inserts need tooth for clear to grab. Do not sand too smooth.

Vid's Guide... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/20#post-1795975

#1005 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Okay I am prepared to use this to clear the PF. Anyone think this product is a bad idea?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-11-5-fl-oz-Gloss-Oil-based-Polyurethane/999913663

I used that poly on the shooter lane, apron, and upper arch area of my PF before installing a hardtop and was very pleased at the results. It did darken yellow a bit but I was actually going for that effect since after sanding down those areas to get rid of ground in dirt, wear, and ball tracks, the sanding left the wood a much lighter-than-original color. I would not use it on playfield paint/graphics.

IMG_6471 (resized).jpgIMG_6471 (resized).jpgIMG_6510 (resized).jpgIMG_6510 (resized).jpg
#1006 4 years ago

With all of this activity I was hoping that there were some new announcements

#1007 4 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

Got a chance to play the Bally Wizard at Expo this week, and I was pleased with the feel of the game.
It did not have that "floaty" feeling that you get with other types of overlay products. Played very "naturally" IMO.
Hopefully they can do a Captain Fantastic some day.

Quoted from AntennaMan:

KISS, but no doubt with Gene involved, it would triple the regular price.

I'm hoping for a Captain Fantastic as well some day, but wonder if it would suffer from the same inflation issue that Kiss would (a large royalty payment to Elton).

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I'm hoping for a Captain Fantastic as well some day, but wonder if it would suffer from the same inflation issue that Kiss would (a large royalty payment to Elton).

Not sure where Elton is at with licensing but Gene has licensed everything under the sun. He makes zero on any of the original Ball KISS pins today, zero on any restores and flips. I would expect that he'd be open to licensing a hardtop at a reasonable fee. That would at least get him in on a bit of the Pinball revival, otherwise he continues to make nothing on the old pin.

#1009 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Not sure where Elton is at with licensing but Gene has licensed everything under the sun. He makes zero on any of the original Ball KISS pins today, zero on any restores and flips. I would expect that he'd be open to licensing a hardtop at a reasonable fee. That would at least get him in on a bit of the Pinball revival, otherwise he continues to make nothing on the old pin.

I'm pretty sure Gene gets a piece of every reproduction part for Bally Kiss. PFs, plastics, pop caps, etc. Anything with the band's likeness on it.

#1010 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

He makes zero on any of the original Ball KISS pins today, zero on any restores and flips.

Did you see the price on the CPR repros? I'd venture to say that licensing was the why.

#1011 4 years ago

Still holding out hope for an Elektra set. At least the upper and lower playfields..

#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Did you see the price on the CPR repros? I'd venture to say that licensing was the why.

No, what was the cost difference?

#1014 4 years ago

So costly enough for something like this.

#1015 4 years ago

Hi All,
A quick update...
We have put up a new message at www.pinballgifts.com (now also outsideedgeproducts.com). The site, and full production will be up soon.

We have a few now of:
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Taxi
Future Spa
Wizard!
Pharaoh

More ready very soon: Black Knight, Firepower, Frontier, Comet, Mata Hari, EK

New titles coming: Eight Ball Deluxe, Secret #1, Secret #2.

EBD... think sometime December.

If you would like one of these titles in stock, just PM me. Name, email address to Paypal, and address for shipping is needed.

Thanks everyone!

#1016 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All,
A quick update...
We have put up a new message at www.pinballgifts.com (now also outsideedgeproducts.com). The site, and full production will be up soon.
We have a few now of:
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Taxi
Future Spa
Wizard!
Pharaoh
More ready very soon: Black Knight, Firepower, Frontier, Comet, Mata Hari, EK
New titles coming: Eight Ball Deluxe, Secret #1, Secret #2.
EBD... think sometime December.
If you would like one of these titles in stock, just PM me. Name, email address to Paypal, and address for shipping is needed.
Thanks everyone!

Huzzah! Congrats!

#1017 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

The site, and full production will be up soon.

Great news!!! Looking forward to everything being up and running!

#1018 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

New titles coming: Eight Ball Deluxe

Those are gonna sell.

#1019 4 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Those are gonna sell.

I think so. What a great product concept!

The 2 secrets are slowly killing me but happy to see that there is something more coming sooner. I do hope that it is what I need.

#1020 4 years ago

Good to hear that BK is nearly ready. Cant wait to purchase one.

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

The 2 secrets are slowly killing me

I agree, Hoping one of those is F-14!!

#1022 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Hoping one of those is F-14!!

DITTO!

#1024 4 years ago

Centaur bruh
Arguably the best playfield art ever... why would this not be a prime candidate?

#1025 4 years ago

Will flash Gordon be made available again?

#1026 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I was told yes, but no specific time frame...Was just glad to hear it will be at some point

#1027 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Yes

#1028 4 years ago

I see great things in my bk's future,ready for december hopefully

#1029 4 years ago

Just got the hardtops installed on my BK. I did run into an issue of a small dimple showing up under the lower playfield despite proper vacuuming, Nafta and tack cloth. You can see the dimple by the reflection, so I was kicking myself (even though I was so careful).

Then, when applying the Hardtops to the upper playfield, I took a close look at the adhesive, and found some debris under the adhesive from the factory! See the pictures. I used a knife to cutout the debris, and the upper playfield went on perfectly.

All this to say: inspect the adhesive carefully before laying it down. Hopefully the new process will be cleaner/better.

To be clear: I am (overall) very pleased with the outcome and with the product. Just sharing my experience.
20191020_165524 (resized).jpg20191020_165524 (resized).jpg20191020_162752 (resized).jpg20191020_162752 (resized).jpg20191020_162116 (resized).jpg20191020_162116 (resized).jpg20191020_162218 (resized).jpg20191020_162218 (resized).jpg

#1030 4 years ago
Quoted from Michel_K17:

Just got the hardtops installed on my BK. I did run into an issue of a small dimple showing up under the lower playfield despite proper vacuuming, Nafta and tack cloth. You can see the dimple by the reflection, so I was kicking myself (even though I was so careful).
Then, when applying the Hardtops to the upper playfield, I took a close look at the adhesive, and found some debris under the adhesive from the factory! See the pictures. I used a knife to cutout the debris, and the upper playfield went on perfectly.
All this to say: inspect the adhesive carefully before laying it down. Hopefully the new process will be cleaner/better.
To be clear: I am (overall) very pleased with the outcome and with the product. Just sharing my experience.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hmm, Thank you for letting us know. We will watch out for this issue. It was likely milling dust/specks... as sometimes static electricity makes it cling to the parts. It looks like a little got trapped and we missed it. Moving forward, we are going to try to work on grounding the static better so it does not "cling" so much as we clean the parts.

We sorry about that, but glad it all went down ok.

#1031 4 years ago

Back in stock... We have a few of:
High Speed, Frontier, Space Shuttle, Comet, Firepower, Black knight, Wizard, Taxi, Future Spa

The website will go Live at the beginning of December. Until then, just PM us with a name, address and good email to invoice if you would like to order.

Thank you!

#1033 4 years ago

Not trying to steal any business from OE. But I am about to do 2 hardtops side by side. My firepower PF is actually not that bad. And I hate to sand it down knowing someone might have one way worse. I am will to trade my OK PF for a trashed out one as long as it's not warped. You pay for all shipping of course. Might cost someone 100$ instead of 300$.

#1034 4 years ago

Have you guys considered producing a hardtop for Viking? I'd be all over that

#1035 4 years ago

Is there any downsides to using Rustoleum 2x Clear over 2PAC? I had planned to use Spraymax 2k but ran out of time with the cold weather and feel more comfortable spraying Rustoleum in my garage. Appreciate any advice

#1036 4 years ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

Is there any downsides to using Rustoleum 2x Clear over 2PAC? I had planned to use Spraymax 2k but ran out of time with the cold weather and feel more comfortable spraying Rustoleum in my garage. Appreciate any advice

See post #6 in this thread.

#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Back in stock... We have a few of:
High Speed, Frontier, Space Shuttle, Comet, Firepower, Black knight, Wizard, Taxi, Future Spa
The website will go Live at the beginning of December. Until then, just PM us with a name, address and good email to invoice if you would like to order.
Thank you!

are you out of pharaoh ?

#1038 4 years ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

As an alternative, you can also polish the inserts and poly any exposed wood (e.g.: shooter lane). It’s more labor, but you’ll never risk a ghosted insert.

#1039 4 years ago

Here's a 'vote' for Lost World

#1040 4 years ago

My original vote on the poll was for Supersonic because I have one of those to resto, but I bought a Grand Lizard yesterday with a blown out playfield, so I'd like to "+1" for that machine as well!

#1041 4 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

My original vote on the poll was for Supersonic because I have one of those to resto, but I bought a Grand Lizard yesterday with a blown out playfield, so I'd like to "+1" for that machine as well!

Grand Lizard is fun! It needs to be saved!

#1042 4 years ago

Also F-14

#1043 4 years ago

How much do hardtop sell for? I'm budgeting a project Blackout. Thanks

#1044 4 years ago

KnockerPTSD my last one was $333 USD. (USA shipped)

#1045 4 years ago

Comet Hardtop set up at the Nashville Grand Ole Gameroom Expo.

20191108_225012 (resized).jpg20191108_225012 (resized).jpg
#1046 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Comet Hardtop set up at the Nashville Grand Ole Gameroom Expo.

Looked and played fantastic !

#1047 4 years ago

I need an EK! Hope its available soon!

#1048 4 years ago

Just read the site update, hope EBD becomes available soon after things get set back up and glad to see these are still going to be made. The space shuttle we put on two years ago or so still looks and plays like a new playfield and that game has seen thousands of plays in that time. Really a fantastic product and I will be buying again.

#1049 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Comet Hardtop set up at the Nashville Grand Ole Gameroom Expo.[quoted image]

Man, I wish I had seen this so I could play it!

#1050 4 years ago

I am looking for a Williams Space Shuttle hard top. I know this was one you originally produced. You don’t by chance have any available,do you?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 3,332 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.