C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 432 of 434.
#21551 88 days ago

I have an LE with a small snake problem. i didnt touch it yet because i have seen someone on this page before having the same problem and he had a hard time fixing it. my snake is spitting out the ball all over the place. its not spitting out to one direct destination. i pushed his mouth down when my ball got stuck inside and wouldnt release it and now it keeps spewing the ball wherever it wants instead of spewing out directly to the left flipper. i know its a ajustment issue but i dont wanna mess it up anymore than it already is.

#21552 88 days ago
Quoted from Codybomb2000:

I have an LE with a small snake problem. i didnt touch it yet because i have seen someone on this page before having the same problem and he had a hard time fixing it. my snake is spitting out the ball all over the place. its not spitting out to one direct destination. i pushed his mouth down when my ball got stuck inside and wouldnt release it and now it keeps spewing the ball wherever it wants instead of spewing out directly to the left flipper. i know its a ajustment issue but i dont wanna mess it up anymore than it already is.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/181#post-3521263
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/181#post-3521339
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/181#post-3527474

#21553 86 days ago

So was it worth it to fix it? I have had the same problem since the beginning and have never tried to fix it. It is very annoying. My met probably had the most quality control issues of all my games.

Still a great game though.

#21554 86 days ago

Man my game has way too many extra balls when you play it. What qualifies an extra ball and how do I make it harder to get one?

#21555 85 days ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

So was it worth it to fix it? I have had the same problem since the beginning and have never tried to fix it. It is very annoying. My met probably had the most quality control issues of all my games.
Still a great game though.

yes, using the endoscope allowed me to center the nylon post in the vuk and I haven't had any issues since.

#21556 85 days ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Man my game has way too many extra balls when you play it. What qualifies an extra ball and how do I make it harder to get one?

You can go into settings and limit the total number of extra balls you can receive.

#21557 85 days ago
Quoted from pacman11:

On top of what Monk said it should show you which settings are the factory settings. Check if yours are set away from factory as you shouldn't be getting that many free balls unless you're really good.

#21558 85 days ago

Yeah I might have to do a factory reset, because I am getting like 5-10 extra balls it's crazy. I turned down the extra balls to 3 but I am still getting alot for some reason.

#21559 85 days ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah I might have to do a factory reset, because I am getting like 5-10 extra balls it's crazy. I turned down the extra balls to 3 but I am still getting alot for some reason.

If a factory reset doesn't work I'd start looking for faulty switches that are activating automatically, might be causing you to get free balls.

#21560 83 days ago

Anybody aware of a bug during crank it up modes? I started ciu and it shot out all 4 balls for the mode. It’s happened twice now over the last year, and I wasn’t sure if it’s a bug, or if there’s a way to start a multiball at the same time as a ciu mode. Just curious

#21561 83 days ago

When Stern remakes Metallica 2.0 I can totaĺy see a special vibrating or shocking flipper buttons when Sparky goes wild. Easy improvement to get buyers! It may seem crazy but if they can work in a projector in ST this should be doable. Speaking of wich a black light Dirty Donny artwork package would be enticing!!!! I mean I would upgrade up to that!

#21562 82 days ago

Wow ! 12 MET Pros and 6 Premiums for sale on Pinside Marketplace ! Sure to be a lot of crying when Stern doesn't follow through on the rumored remake...and everyones dumping the best music pin ever made ..... Great time to buy and get yours now !

#21563 82 days ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Wow ! 12 MET Pros and 6 Premiums for sale on Pinside Marketplace ! Sure to be a lot of crying when Stern doesn't follow through on the rumored remake...and everyones dumping the best music pin ever made ..... Great time to buy and get yours now !

I'm starting to think you're right. Stern isn't porting older DMD titles, and I'm not so sure what initially set this rumor on fire, but this could just end up being a lot of smoke

#21564 82 days ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

I check everyday for one near me...

#21565 82 days ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

A local collector who works in the video game industry told me about a new Metallica pin from Stern almost two years ago through an insider friend of his at Stern. Pretty sure it’s going to happen! He was also right about Jaws way before it was announced. As a MoP LE owner, I’m not even thinking about selling, only planning on picking up another Metallica LE after the launch hype settles and they start showing up on secondary. For now, keep the rumors about Pokémon, Marvel, Mario, Teletubbies coming which means my money is safe! Still planning to add Foo LE to round out my music pin collection

#21566 82 days ago
Quoted from darkryder:

A local collector who works in the video game industry told me about a new Metallica pin from Stern almost two years ago through an insider friend of his at Stern. Pretty sure it’s going to happen! He was also right about Jaws way before it was announced. As a MoP LE owner, I’m not even thinking about selling, only planning on picking up another Metallica LE after the launch hype settles and they start showing up on secondary. For now, keep the rumors about Pokémon, Marvel, Mario, Teletubbies coming which means my money is safe! Still planning to add Foo LE to round out my music pin collection

2 years ago, well it might, but I'm thinking there are just way to many other titles to tap in to for Stern that haven't been explored.... hope it happens, but really not needed IMO

#21567 82 days ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

2 years ago, well it might, but I'm thinking there are just way to many other titles to tap in to for Stern that haven't been explored.... hope it happens, but really not needed IMO

As a METLE owner, i kinda want both of these to be true. If it doesnt happen, cool, if it does, cool but $13000 for a pin to make a pair. Seriously torn either way!

#21568 82 days ago

As a Stern POTC owner, I had no interest in the JJP POTC. I feel the same way about a Spike2 Metallica. Doesn’t change the fact that I enjoy my game a lot. SAM pins are easier to work on, and they’re ready to play 3 seconds after you turn them on. A video screen isn’t going to sway me. I also think the dots (color with the CDMD) are great on this game.

Of course we’ll welcome our new MET friends here when they show up.

#21569 82 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

As a Stern POTC owner, I had no interest in the JJP POTC. I feel the same way about a Spike2 Metallica. Doesn’t change the fact that I enjoy my game a lot. SAM pins are easier to work on, and they’re ready to play 3 seconds after you turn them on. A video screen isn’t going to sway me. I also think the dots (color with the CDMD) are great on this game.

A straight port with only an LCD update will fall flat IMO. All of this seemed like a good idea when distributors couldn't keep games in stock, and older DMD titles were selling for $8k... But they missed the boat

This would have to be a new game entirely for it to make sense

#21570 82 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I can get a quick game of Metallica in,while I'm waiting for my JP to boot up.

#21571 82 days ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

Metallica is one game that hasn't plummeted in price. Premiums are still going for $10-12K even for the original runs with the wooden backbox that are ten years old. I had a really nice premium from the very last run that was fixed up nice and I ended up stupidly selling it before the prices went up. I'm not going to spend $4000 more than I sold my game for to get it back.

On the other hand, I am already in for a new run Metallica Premium. The game play on Metallica is a masterpiece. I can combine that with a brand new game with that new car smell, SPIKE 3, better graphics, better sound quality and stereo too and all for less than the old SAM system machines are going for? To me this is a no brainer, despite the extra 40 seconds to boot up.

Anyway I hope to rejoin the club and strong rumor has it that the Metallica vault or whatever it will be called is next after Jaws. If the rumors are wrong and it's not the original playfield with Lyman rules, there is a good chance I'll pass because the original Metallica would be really hard to top.

#21572 82 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

Metallica is one game that hasn't plummeted in price. Premiums are still going for $10-12K even for the original runs with the wooden backbox that are ten years old. I had a really nice premium from the very last run that was fixed up nice and I ended up stupidly selling it before the prices went up. I'm not going to spend $4000 more than I sold my game for to get it back.
On the other hand, I am already in for a new run Metallica Premium. The game play on Metallica is a masterpiece. I can combine that with a brand new game with that new car smell, SPIKE 3, better graphics, better sound quality and stereo too and all for less than the old SAM system machines are going for? To me this is a no brainer, despite the extra 40 seconds to boot up.
Anyway I hope to rejoin the club and strong rumor has it that the Metallica vault or whatever it will be called is next after Jaws. If the rumors are wrong and it's not the original playfield with Lyman rules, there is a good chance I'll pass because the original Metallica would be really hard to top.

Pro pricing has plummeted, likely a mixture of this rumored remake and prices normalizing in general.

A new release in any capacity will be $7k pro, $9700 prem. Assuming they just port the game to a newer Spike and do nothing else, the original premiums value will drop pretty heavily. At that point, would the Metallica buyer want a 10k "upgraded" version or a $7500 original, just without a screen.

To me what would make the most sense is a single updated anniversary premium (they said no more messing with LEs). It would likely set a new price point (prob in the $10k range)

No inside knowledge, just speculation

#21573 82 days ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

At that point, would the Metallica buyer want a 10k "upgraded" version or a $7500 original, just without a screen.

Maybe not if I already had a nice original. Maybe. Coming from a position of not currently owning Metallica; if its done right I would take the $9500 SPIKE 3 version all day long. New in box game, better system and not just a display. SPIKE has uncompressed stereo sound, 10-band EQ and really easy speaker and amp upgrade vs mp3 mono on SAM. Maybe not a huge seller like Godzilla, but done right they could easily sell a couple thousand Premiums and a decent amount of Pros.

#21574 81 days ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

A straight port with only an LCD update will fall flat IMO. All of this seemed like a good idea when distributors couldn't keep games in stock, and older DMD titles were selling for $8k... But they missed the boat

Yea, if its the same pin, but just LCD, not interested. If its a new layout, then we shall see.

#21575 81 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

Maybe not if I already had a nice original. Maybe. Coming from a position of not currently owning Metallica; if its done right I would take the $9500 SPIKE 3 version all day long. New in box game, better system and not just a display. SPIKE has uncompressed stereo sound, 10-band EQ and really easy speaker and amp upgrade vs mp3 mono on SAM. Maybe not a huge seller like Godzilla, but done right they could easily sell a couple thousand Premiums and a decent amount of Pros.

Is it really a better system? At least with the old ones you have a chance at salvaging a board yourself. With the new stuff you are stuck waiting for Stern to ship you a whole board. Although I admit the better sound would be nice. The sound on this machine is pretty bad for a music pin until you at least add a subwoofer.

I could see the new version becoming the popular one for a while but 10 years down the road people start looking for the SAM version because the Spikes are all dying and no one has replacement boards.

#21576 81 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yea, if its the same pin, but just LCD, not interested. If its a new layout, then we shall see.

If I had to guess, we might see expression lights and an integrated topper, plus insider connect, which may or may not matter to some.

#21577 81 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If I had to guess, we might see expression lights and an integrated topper, plus insider connect, which may or may not matter to some.

I also wonder if they'd put one thing from the premium on the pro like they did for AC/DC. I would think the rising cross added to the pro with the LCD could entice people to buy the new one over a used original.

#21578 81 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Sounds like an $11000 premium at least

#21579 81 days ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

Sounds like an $11000 premium at least

Isn’t that about what met premiums go for now? You could buy a stock game for maybe $9500 if current nib pricing holds.

#21580 81 days ago
Quoted from Anony:

I could see the new version becoming the popular one for a while but 10 years down the road people start looking for the SAM version because the Spikes are all dying and no one has replacement boards.

I don’t know about that. My GOTLE makes me a little nervous, with so few Spike1 games made, but there’s a critical mass of Spike2 games and I’m fairly confident that boards will exist in 10 years. This Spike 3 talk is all new to me, I need to catch up on that.

#21581 81 days ago
Quoted from Anony:

Is it really a better system? At least with the old ones you have a chance at salvaging a board yourself.

I know that is the common thought but not really true. Both SAM and SPIKE 2 are really good systems compared to older Whitestar, WPC and others. SPIKE is more reliable than SAM from my experience owning 12 SPIKE games and zero board problems. SAM had lots of stuff that was surface mount and only the main parts that frequently would blow like drive transistors were through hole. SPIKE is the same thing so you can swap parts without being able to work on surface mount. Blow a drive transistor and swap it out - just like SAM. In fact the driver node board has much fewer connectors so its easier to remove and reinstall after changing the transistor (I've never had one fail though so just sayin'). If something surface mount fails, most people have to get a replacement; same exact thing with SAM. Not that there aren't issues. SPIKE 1 was riddled with manufacturing problems and board issues. SPIKE 2 has some isolated issues like the Node 10 board clusterf*ck. Dial back the clock to when SAM first came out... EVERY MPU in the first game WPT was defective and gimped until Stern finally put out an updated board many months later. My WPT was a paper weight for a long time until I got an entire new MPU board in the mail. Even the last versions of Whitestar were loaded with surface mount chips. I had a LOTR with a main board that had gremlins that nobody could find or fix. Eventually after a years of effing around and tons of money spent, I had to buy a new main board for like $500 just to get the thing to work properly without reseting.

Also, rumor has it that Metallica will be the first SPIKE 3 game which could be interesting to see what it includes...

#21582 81 days ago

Spike is lesser quality,PERIOD!!!
I could care less how many spike fanboy naysayers who didn’t yet experience a failed node board chime in saying it is good and never had a problem with them , !

If you look at my past games history you see I have been through most pinball companies games in my collection and have only had issues and repeated issues with stern spike games.
So my experience is personal and perhaps mine alone and stand by the fact I feel and know spike is not a system I want in my lineup and won’t have a place until the integrity of the spike product and the availability and price reaches a tolerable level which it is not now with the stern node boards .

Also turn on old stern pinball machine and play in 4 seconds , most of my old spike games takes more than a minute up to 2 minutes to boot up and forgo the node board boot up sequence while I pray they all work or the game won’t play at all.

Not just 40 seconds extra .

I just can’t wait to see what if any will be improved on. I doubt anything good !

One can hope . The stern fanboy brigade is already claiming great stuff without any info. But fanboys will be fanboys . Stern can do no wrong !

#21585 81 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

SPIKE 2 has some isolated issues like the Node 10 board clusterf*ck.

Quoted from PinFever:

Be sure to visit and laugh at this post too! Good stuff

LOL! You must not read my posts because I already mentioned that and labeled it as a clusterf*ck. I am totally aware and understand that issue as an early Rush premium buyer. I spent the ten minutes to cut out the offending connector in my Rush and prevent the Node 10 issue from ever happening. Even if it did happen, Stern has sent out replacements outside of warranty to make almost everyone whole. There are still a few people with broken machines from this issue, hence the clusterf*ck label. I don't want to minimize or ignore their pain.

No system is perfectly designed or 100% reliable, but it is simply a fact that SAM and SPIKE 2 are both great systems and SPIKE 2 is more reliable and more foolproof. Not to mention the SPIKE 2 boards are more readily available for purchase these days. Try to find an MPU or driver board for SAM and then make sure it is the correct one for your machine of the five different types they made.

Back to Metallica. Whether or not you are on board, it will be interesting to see what Stern comes up with. Hopefully not a fail.

#21586 81 days ago

Hopefully a good product arises! Me, I have a Mettallica premium that I covet as #1 pinball machine ever made ! Yes a Stern !
But by no means a fanboy of Stern (currently) .

Quoted from John_I:LOL! You must not read my posts because I already mentioned that and labeled it as a clusterf*ck. I am totally aware and understand that issue as an early Rush premium buyer. I spent the ten minutes to cut out the offending connector in my Rush and prevent the Node 10 issue from ever happening. Even if it did happen, Stern has sent out replacements outside of warranty to make almost everyone whole. There are still a few people with broken machines from this issue, hence the clusterf*ck label. I don't want to minimize or ignore their pain.
No system is perfectly designed or 100% reliable, but it is simply a fact that SAM and SPIKE 2 are both great systems and SPIKE 2 is more reliable and more foolproof. Not to mention the SPIKE 2 boards are more readily available for purchase these days. Try to find an MPU or driver board for SAM and then make sure it is the correct one for your machine of the five different types they made.
Back to Metallica. Whether or not you are on board, it will be interesting to see what Stern comes up with. Hopefully not a fail.

#21587 81 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

I am totally aware and understand that issue as an early Rush premium buyer. I spent the ten minutes to cut out the offending connector in my Rush and prevent the Node 10 issue from ever happening. Even if it did happen, Stern has sent out replacements outside of warranty to make almost everyone whole.

Exactly my experience with Rush. My game was only down for 2 weeks, and FlipNOut sent me a new motor without the intermediate connector. That poorly designed connector was always the problem. It happens. Would be nice to see a redesigned Node10 board with better protection, though.

I’ve owned 7 spike games and that’s the only electronic problem I’ve ever had. What bothers me much more is the poor clearcoat quality. My 2013 MET still looks brand new with about 5000 plays. Rush and FF both have really thin clear. It’s an overreaction to pool-gate.

#21588 78 days ago

FYI- Alright did a factory reset on my game and the hammer is working now. Which is an awesome feature..

#21589 77 days ago

I have a problem that acts up once every few games.
The VERTICAL UP-KICKER fires but occasionally it results in the ball not quite making it into the shooter lane every few games.
Now instead of it firing a ball again, because the ball never made it up, nothing happens.
This forces me to open the coin door and manually operate the VERTICAL UP-KICKER to put a ball in play. Any ideas as to what is going on here?

#21590 77 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:I have a problem that acts up once every few games.
The VERTICAL UP-KICKER fires but occasionally it results in the ball not quite making it into the shooter lane every few games.
Now instead of it firing a ball again, because the ball never made it up, nothing happens.
This forces me to open the coin door and manually operate the VERTICAL UP-KICKER to put a ball in play. Any ideas as to what is going on here?

I've had games where the coil bracket slightly bends over time and bending it back under is centered on the ball gives it that extra little bit of oomf.

#21591 77 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I've had games where the coil bracket slightly bends over time and bending it back under is centered on the ball gives it that extra little bit of oomf.

Im not sure what that is. Would you take a photo of what I am to bend?

#21592 77 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Im not sure what that is. Would you take a photo of what I am to bend?

#21593 77 days ago

I'm not home to take a photo right now but it's the bracket that holds that vertical up kicker that you are pushing up on to eject the ball. If you just move it slightly forward or back so that that vertical upkicker is centered on the ball better it may work. Just pull on the very bottom of it so you get some leverage it won't take much.

#21594 77 days ago

You can also check to see if your balls are magnetized. That might be holding them from falling into the proper position in the trough.

#21595 77 days ago
Quoted from Monk:

You can also check to see if your balls are magnetized. That might be holding them from falling into the proper position in the trough.

Good point, especially on Met!

#21596 76 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Doesn't sound like an upkicker problem to me because the game should recognize that the ball is not in play. Sounds like more of a switch issue. I would think that you could adjust trough power so it kicks it out right the first time.

#21597 76 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Check your trough optos. I’d unplug and reseat them. You may need to replace them, very inexpensive. In test mode, they may work fine, but vibrations from the game can cause intermittent issues that might be hard to diagnose.

#21598 76 days ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Doesn't sound like an upkicker problem to me because the game should recognize that the ball is not in play. Sounds like more of a switch issue. I would think that you could adjust trough power so it kicks it out right the first time.

I don't see an option for increasing the power.

#21599 76 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Probably not your problem but i have had bulbs fall out of the spotlights and in the trough. Creating an issue where the ball cannot properly get loaded into the shooter lane. I have had this happen multiple times on different Mets.

#21600 76 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I don't see an option for increasing the power.

I know on Spike you can, I'm not sure about Sam.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 149.00
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 432 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/432 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.