IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 185.
#3301 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

They won’t. They don’t care. Why would they help me out? I’ve only bought 19 NIB games from them in the last 10 years. I’m just a number like everyone else. Unless you are in the industry or know someone at Stern they are not going to go the extra mile. They are more worried about getting games on the line then fixing issues that go out the door.
I told my distributor I would not buy Elvira and now Stranger Things. I’m not going to buy a new game from them to repopulate another playfield. My time and money are too valuable.
When I do repopulate it, assuming I still get a playfield, I am going to stream it and put it up on YouTube and Facebook. At least it’s will help those effected.

I'm sorry to hear that. As a long time customer of that many new Stern purchases one would think they would be more then happy to take care of you with a fully populated playfield replacement. Very surprising and disappointing to hear that this is how Stern chooses to treat loyal customers.

As much as I would like to buy a Stranger Things LE pin a new GoldenTee for less then half the price with no headaches sounds more tempting.

#3302 4 years ago

Here we go ....this happened on game #15
JP_chip (resized).jpgJP_chip (resized).jpg

chip1 (resized).jpgchip1 (resized).jpg
#3303 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow Thanks for sharing. It seems like Stern hasn't resolved the issue by having the playfield manufacturer correct the artwork / clear process but rather try to hide it by putting no artwork around posts in hope that no chipping occurs.

#3304 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I was going to buy a NIB JP pro, but decided to grab a used Hobbit instead. It's built like a tank and as heavy as hell.

Do you really think the weight of a game has any bearing on playfield issues

#3305 4 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

I have a lot of dimpling but luckily that is all so far. How long after it goes out of production are playfields available for sale?

Quoted from SR230CC:

To clarify. When are Stern playfields available to buy? Iron Maiden

Quoted from Roostking:

FYI, that one will dimple too.

Quoted from Mike_J:

But will it crater?

Anyone who thinks dimpling is an issue need to get out of pinball

#3306 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Shocking that it happened so soon. If the post is secured properly (i.e. no "play"), I wouldn't expect a chip like that. Have you taken the glass off to see if the post has any slack or movement?

I'm over 100 games and I've been checking the posts. So far, they haven't loosened at all.

#3307 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

Going to be a long time before I lose that bad taste in my mouth when I think of the jacked up JPPro Stern sent me. On the bright side, not a damn scratch on the Golden Tee 2020, and the online tournaments are sweet. Pinballs should do that too. Think I’ll pick up a Pump It Up next. Lots of temptations other than pinball loot crates ^_^[quoted image]

A girly poster in your game room you in highschool

#3308 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Ug... unreal.

#3309 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Anyone who thinks dimpling is an issue need to get out of pinball

Or just stop buying games where the playfield is made with crappy wood and cleacoat.

#3310 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or just stop buying games where the playfield is made with crappy wood and cleacoat.

So basically all new games. Or Rick and Morty if you snagged one. Welp, plenty to choose from regardless!

#3311 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I stopped buying NIB but looked at some routed Stern games today there is no need to buy NIB

#3312 4 years ago

I guess there is a difference between dimpling and cratering. I was refering to the latter.

#3313 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess there is a difference between dimpling and cratering. I was refering to the latter.

If there's one take-way from this whole chipping pooling artwork thing, it's that dimpling and cratering are seriously no big deal. Still undecided on ghosting inserts

#3314 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

it's that dimpling and cratering are seriously no big deal. Still undecided on ghosting inserts

No big deal. I had just never noticed the Riddler or any of the other vilians had serious acne scars and pockmarks until I bought a BM66 and saw them up close.

#3315 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

That’s what happens when Stern uses Kinkos to print out their Playfields.

90s pins never do this

#3316 4 years ago

Guys, you need to CALL Stern, not email them. They always answer the phone during business hours. Emails are mostly blown off. The threshold for getting a new populated playfield is very high, needing the approval of all 5 people in the chain to agree it is bad enough before the new populated playfield will be agreed upon. One "no" vote and you're SOL. The process is slow, because these people only get together once a week. Call them, and keep calling them until you have answers.

#3317 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Do you really think the weight of a game has any bearing on playfield issues

He never said that...He choose to buy a Hobbit partially because theres no risk of playfield issues.

#3318 4 years ago

Check this guys recent post - is that playfield clear acceptable or are my eyes seeing this incorrectly?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/65#post-5364534

#3319 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Check this guys recent post - is that playfield clear acceptable or are my eyes seeing this incorrectly?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/65#post-5364534

Yikes. That clear doesn't look good, not to mention the cabinet decal issues. Maybe it's just me but it seems like Stern is much more attentive to quality on their LE games then premium and especially pro games. A $6k - $8k game should warrant the same quality control as a $9k+ LE, SE, etc.

#3320 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Apparently they are applying the Clear by rolling it on with a Grapefruit.

Bold strategy. Let's see how it works out for the poor guy who made the mistake of buying it.

#3321 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yikes. That clear doesn't look good, not to mention the cabinet decal issues. Maybe it's just me but it seems like Stern is much more attentive to quality on their LE games then premium and especially pro games. A $6k - $8k game should warrant the same quality control as a $9k+ LE, SE, etc.

If you have product like that rolling out your doors, you need to cut back on production and dedicate a good 20% of your time on QC.

#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Apparently they are applying the Clear by rolling it on with a Grapefruit.
Bold strategy. Let's see how it works out for the poor guy who made the mistake of buying it.

14zczs (resized).jpg14zczs (resized).jpg
#3323 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

If you have product like that rolling out your doors, you need to cut back on production and dedicate a good 20% of your time on QC.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#3324 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

A girly poster in your game room you in highschool

That's not just any girl, that's Aki from the 2001 Final Fantasy movie. Since she's computer generated, she is perfect, and will always be perfect. Unlike Stern's production line...

#3325 4 years ago

Good news though, I was averaging 2 NIB sterns a year, now I'll be averaging 0. Pro's are about 8k (can) to my door, so thats about 16k a year that I'll save!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3326 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

new GoldenTee for less then half the price with no headaches sounds more tempting.

Get a Super Chexx if you have someone to play with. That's what I did and it is soooooo much fun!! No playfield chipping either guaranteed!

#3327 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Quoted from PanzerFreak:
new GoldenTee for less then half the price with no headaches sounds more tempting.

Get a Super Chexx if you have someone to play with. That's what I did and it is soooooo much fun!! No playfield chipping either guaranteed!

My last 2 purchases was 2 multicades. First was a cocktail table with 60 games, and we liked it so much I picked up a stand up with 12k games.

No issues! And price was awesome also.

The only thing that does suck is my girlfriend is addicted to Frogger now and I have to hear that music a tad much.

#3328 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Anything less than a new populated playfield in your case is totally unacceptable. If your distro cant get that for you i would email and call stern and keep raising hell. Your distributor doesnt sound like much of a fightet, i would dump his or her ass also.

I think a call from a lawyer talking class action with them is more likely to get action than any distributor.

Reading through this thread, I am completely floored and disgusted that a manufacturer of any product costing 6-9k thinks it is acceptable to send out product in this condition and just ignore customers. Stern should be ashamed.

Frankly, if what people are saying is true, they deserve to get hit with many lawsuits... and no, a unpopulated playfield is not an acceptable solution. It is basically cop out and avoidance of any real responsibility as far as I’m concerned.

#3329 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Reading through this thread, I am completely floored and disgusted that a manufacturer of any product costing 6-9k thinks it is acceptable to send out product in this condition and just ignore customers. Stern should be ashamed.

But when Stern releases a new game so many people just buy it anyway and hope for the best.

I like the Stern games I have, but I am taking a long break from any NIB purchases from them.

#3330 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

But when Stern releases a new game so many people just buy it anyway and hope for the best.
I like the Stern games I have, but I am taking a long break from any NIB purchases from them.

You need only see the hype about q potential Stranger Things pin coming to see why they persist with this business strategy. If all these complaints don’t actually translate to lost sales they have no incentive to change course.

I sincerely hope that people put their money where their mouth is and restrain themselves whenever these new pins are announced. It’s the only thing that stands to change their attitude, particularly as there is no real competition cranking out pins with the same frequency as them.

#3331 4 years ago

The NeverEnding thread.. such a shame, this is the real PROBLEM with the new pins
Playfield issue is the 2019 scourge.. for the crazy prices

#3332 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

You need only see the hype about q potential Stranger Things pin coming to see why they persist with this business strategy. If all these complaints don’t actually translate to lost sales they have no incentive to change course.
I sincerely hope that people put their money where their mouth is and restrain themselves whenever these new pins are announced. It’s the only thing that stands to change their attitude, particularly as there is no real competition cranking out pins with the same frequency as them.

I agree. I have played JP2 on location and think it is a great game. I want to buy it myself but there is no way I'm going to roll the dice and throw down 7k + on a Premium knowing how many out there are receiving faulty product and playfields and are being ignored by Stern.

I cant believe anyone would pay that kind of money if they are aware this is an ongoing risk and issue. I learned my lesson buying an early run WOZ thinking because the initial owner replaced the unbuffered boards, the problem would be fixed. I was wrong and it was a year long miserable experience having multiple failures and no solution save being charged almost 1k to buy a 2.0 kit (to be swapped out with my own labor) because of a manufacturer defect that was never addressed to begin with.

I feel bad for those that paid big $$ for NIB and are having to deal with this type of treatment from Stern. It really is unacceptable for a manufacturer in any industry to continue to crank out so many lemons with ongoing known issues and ignore customers or offer subpar solutions.

#3333 4 years ago

I’m curious from a technical standpoint, why would the issues seem to be machine specific?
How is the manufacturing of JP different from SW?
You see and read about issues with one but not the other.

#3334 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

He never said that...He choose to buy a Hobbit partially because theres no risk of playfield issues.

I was thinking of buying a Stern Aerosmith because like the Hobbit they were built before the clusterfuck

#3335 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I was thinking of buying a Stern Aerosmith because like the Hobbit they were built before the clusterfuck

Just check the cab for separation to make sure it wasn't part of those issues

#3336 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Shocking that it happened so soon. If the post is secured properly (i.e. no "play"), I wouldn't expect a chip like that. Have you taken the glass off to see if the post has any slack or movement?

Post is solid...no movement at all. I thought it was a piece of plastic at first, then realized where it came from

No other issues since that one, and the game has 175 plays now. There's a BK:SoR to the left with 1400 plays on it and zero playfield issues, then a Tron LE to the right with almost 5000 plays and zero playfield issues. This is the first time ever that I've had an issue with a Stern playfield and I have most of the newer games (not Munsters )

#3337 4 years ago
Quoted from No_Pickles:

I’m curious from a technical standpoint, why would the issues seem to be machine specific?

Its about the process and materials used at a point in time by a comapny... not so much about the title itself. The titles were just our way of referencing what was made during the time period because playfields are made in batches... and games are made in batches (during which the company may have a common qa standard across).

#3338 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Makes sense though... their "solution" to the CC problem was to change *nothing* but then only do ONE spray pass on the PF.
And then take the short cut of simply moving the art away from the posts.

They figure there will not be remotely enough clear then to bunch up anywhere...

Probably not a great long term solution.

-

#3339 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Makes sense though... their "solution" to the CC problem was to change *nothing* but then only do ONE spray pass on the PF.
They figure there will not be remotely enough clear then to bunch up anywhere...
-

Vote with your $.

#3340 4 years ago
Quoted from No_Pickles:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/63#post-5309429

#3341 4 years ago

Has anybody explored who is making the Punny Factory playfields?

#3342 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

For what it is worth my distributor (Nitro) submitted my IMDNLE pictures to Stern last Wednesday and first thing this morning I received word that Stern has agreed to send me a replacement unpopulated playfield.
So maybe their process has matured and PF supply improved, at least with regard to IMDN.

Yeah. Really awesome of them to include the experience of a full-top-and-bottom-PF rebuild to be completed BY their customer at no extra charge. Who says they don't really give you more with ever-increasing prices???

#3343 4 years ago

It still bunches up, just not under the posts. This is my JPLE, and I imagine most are the same way. They didn't actually fix anything in the process, just masked it by moving the art and thinning the clear.

Quoted from Manic:

-

arch_left (resized).jpgarch_left (resized).jpgball_guide (resized).jpgball_guide (resized).jpg
#3344 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Yeah. Really awesome of them to include the experience of a full-top-and-bottom-PF rebuild to be completed BY their customer at no extra charge. Who says they don't really give you more with ever-increasing prices???

Hey, you and I both know all home users know how to strip down and rebuild a playfield from scratch, and have all the tools necessary to do it. Oh, and the time.

#3345 4 years ago

People are still buying these things... and still complaining.

#3346 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Many are not...

#3347 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I really want a Stranger Things and have the money. Yes I haven’t even seen the darn thing yet, but man these QC issues are holding me back from a nib purchase. Damn shame.

#3348 4 years ago

Homepin plastic lock down bars will be next.

#3349 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I really want a Stranger Things and have the money. Yes I haven’t even seen the darn thing yet, but man these QC issues are holding me back from a nib purchase. Damn shame.

I felt the same way until I played Keith's awesome JP2. Decided to move forward and fortunately received a solid build (11/22).

After 120 games, only needed to replace 1 coil stop. No PF issues. Raptor pit and right flipper need "dialing in", but the game is really solid otherwise. All things considered, I'm pleased with what I received.

#3350 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I felt the same way until I played Keith's awesome JP2. Decided to move forward and fortunately received a solid build (11/22).
After 120 games, only needed to replace 1 coil stop. No PF issues. Raptor pit and right flipper need "dialing in", but the game is really solid otherwise. All things considered, I'm pleased with what I received.

That’s good to hear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/67?hl=guitarded and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.