IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darkwing.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1199 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I just received my JP2. It was a show model so it was played pretty hard at the Cleveland show this past weekend. I'm pleased to report with 841 plays on the ticker that the clear looks perfect still. There is a slight dent in the shooter lane which would be expected with that many plays. I don't care anyway since the game is going on route. I wouldn't worry if you're buying the game for home use. I think this issue is being blown out of proportion. Seems to hold up fine.
Born on date was Aug 17th.

Glad you got a good one bro! JP2 was the fourth NIB I’d purchased from Stern, but the first to have a major issue right outta the box. Once I saw the posts digging into the clear coat in under 100 plays, I cut my losses and sold it ASAP. I still want a JP2, but not until they fix their product.

That clear coat was basically gel dude... You could watch it ripple up more when tightening the post by the upper right flipper. Not cool.

#1328 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I think there aren’t any great choices here, but he was serious that they won’t be using bad playfields going forward and there will be new runs without the issue. I am satisfied that they are making a serious effort. I got the clear impression he knew they needed to do something big on this to keep customers happy and coming back.

JJP’s target audience is the home/collector market, so yeah this type of confidence shakeup needed fixing ASAP. Maybe Stern’s primary customer is operators who just don’t give AF. I hope they’re not making that bet.

#1395 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

In my opinion anyone willing to roll that dice should do so assuming nothing will be done. My guess is unless your game is chipping they won't do anything about it...I hope I'm wrong, but thats my guess

I don’t make enough money to roll the dice like that. I’m out on NIBs until the issue is fixed. I suspect they won’t confirm any issue or resolution so I will probably continue to save money

1 week later
#1820 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

That won’t work very well if there are 100 unhappy Stern customers all asking the same thing. Denial at that level will backfire. Expo will be interesting - the first big pinball expo since this problem became so widely known and so large in scope and machines affected. Especially with the newest ones coming off the line. Can’t wait to hear reports back. I can’t make this one or I’d be there also.

I’m not sure it’s very widely known though. When I brought it up at our weekly pinball league, even some of the route operators had not heard of it. I made sure to relay my first hand experience and point them to the pinside thread as well. Unfortunately, I think Stern is being somewhat successful in sweeping this under the rug

#1900 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

The other thing to consider is this: Pinsiders appear to consider pooling on par with global warming.

lol... The newer play field issues definitely make the machines untouchable, for me. I am surprised at all the debate about how bad or no big deal it is. For almost $6k I definitely expect the art and clear coat of the play field to not be sliding around. Seems self evident to me. Genuinely surprised at those that don’t see it that way. Also feel very stung at spending that amount of money and pulling a dud out of the box. Not in my arcade. Doesn’t do any good to argue about it, just wanted to increase awareness so nobody else is surprised with a NIB purchase as I was.

#1901 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

The longer buyers sit on the sidelines, the more they may come to realize there are other things to do and collect thus lower long term sales for manufacturers.... unexpected consequences.

Indeed sir! My classic NES collection is at 527/687, and my savings account has never been so happy. All for the best.

#2006 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Naïve is when someone who doesn't even own a damaged game presumes to understand the reasoning of the people affected.

There are people who enjoy nothing more than arguing on the internet

#2007 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I just spent NIB pin money on a restored ball bowler. Suck it bitches.

And just spent some of mine on a loaded MacBook Pro... BTW it was perfect right out of the box

#2151 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Final suggestion: if you want to hate on me, just downvote my post(s). If you reply to this and call me out, I’ll likely reply again and again, dragging this on. I’ve said more than enough already and way more than I intended, when I came in here to show how silly some people are for slandering Stern.

So you are a self-described Stern Justice Warrior (SJW)? That’s quite an acronym there!

1 week later
#2542 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I ever have to go to court, I want Iceman as my lawyer.
And I want him all liquored up when we go see the judge.
"Case dismissed!"

Yep. This is why we don’t make friends on pinside too heh.

1 week later
#2681 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I asked Jack tonight during the Q&A session at Expo tonight if the root cause of the playfield clear issues had been determined and a fix identified.
Yes and Yes.
Would you elaborate on either?
No.

Maybe he’s just gaming Gary Stern

1 week later
#2773 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I understand how they could miss one sunken insert out of dozens per game, in hundreds of games, but it's how they handle the mistake that matters.
What I DON'T understand is how they can continue to ship defective coil stops. How many of those have gone out the door in the last year, thousands? Pinball Life sells a perfect replacement for five bucks; why can't Stern get quality parts?

Reminds me of no matter how much money you spend on a bicycle, you will have to ditch the crappy tubes for something thicker and longer lasting. At least here in AZ with the bullheads ya do

1 week later
#3055 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

The problem is Stern going out of business if they want to give everybody a new populated playfield that have blank spots.
So they won't.

Wouldn't be the end of pinball. It was illegal in the US at one point and it still survived. Change is not always easy...

3 weeks later
#3201 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

They have lost out on two games from me personally just because they don't have the courtesy to even respond to me. My money is going toward a Super Chexx Pro and a CGC game.

Yeah buddy, just ordered a Golden Tee 2020, this is a great time to enhance the rest of our arcades while the pinball manufacturers check themselves.

#3230 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And apparently this last business year Stern had their best ever year in terms of sales.
I guess complacency comes easily?

Lets see if that repeats itself...

1 week later
#3276 4 years ago

Going to be a long time before I lose that bad taste in my mouth when I think of the jacked up JPPro Stern sent me. On the bright side, not a damn scratch on the Golden Tee 2020, and the online tournaments are sweet. Pinballs should do that too. Think I’ll pick up a Pump It Up next. Lots of temptations other than pinball loot crates ^_^

178E5D2D-611B-44E8-AE20-588F1BC72F0A (resized).jpeg178E5D2D-611B-44E8-AE20-588F1BC72F0A (resized).jpeg
#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Apparently they are applying the Clear by rolling it on with a Grapefruit.
Bold strategy. Let's see how it works out for the poor guy who made the mistake of buying it.

14zczs (resized).jpg14zczs (resized).jpg
#3324 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

A girly poster in your game room you in highschool

That's not just any girl, that's Aki from the 2001 Final Fantasy movie. Since she's computer generated, she is perfect, and will always be perfect. Unlike Stern's production line...

#3354 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I felt the same way until I played Keith's awesome JP2. Decided to move forward and fortunately received a solid build (11/22).
After 120 games, only needed to replace 1 coil stop. No PF issues. Raptor pit and right flipper need "dialing in", but the game is really solid otherwise. All things considered, I'm pleased with what I received.

Loot crate success! Too bad we dont know what the percentage of non-fucky pins inside these loot crates are. 1:4, 1:8, 1:holyfuckingmoses...

#3407 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Pinball is hard that's for sure but this problem really needs to get fixed bad because I know so many people who wont buy right now. . Hopeful they get a handle on it soon.

I have cash. I have desire. I do not have confidence.

#3450 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

You guys actually think that Stern makes their own playfields, then ships them to Germany for art and clear, then gets them shipped back? Think about that for a bit boys.

Good call Julian, as much as I don’t think Mirco has much credibility left, it’s not rocket appliances to figure out that doesn’t work.

#3467 4 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Definitely a Rickyism.

Once you’re in the park, you’re park for life! But not Stern NIB for life...
0989E575-7F32-4D49-897D-1E3BC8667DB1 (resized).jpeg0989E575-7F32-4D49-897D-1E3BC8667DB1 (resized).jpeg

#3541 4 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Use lots of photos with specific and succinct descriptions to tell your story. Keep it objective until closing and then feel free to provide how the situation made you feel, etc.

It made me feel like I took it up the butt with no vaseline. Not sure I want to give them that satisfaction though...

#3709 4 years ago
Quoted from Highscoresaves:

Wow. That has to be a joke....

You don’t trust the guy who posts a video with his sunglasses on? Shocked I don’t trust him either...

#3710 4 years ago

You wear sunglasses when playing poker and trying to bluff someone... connection?

#3726 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I hope not. It's essentially a laminate layer and could bring on issues of its own later down the line. I like the look and feel of real wood and I feel that long term it is probably easier to repair and maintain. If a hardtop chips or cracks is there a good way to repair it?

You could just cut the playfield protector out and carry-on, or install a new one. My restored Judge Dredd came with a protector already installed, and while the ball does spin a lot more on average, I’m happy with it and totally leaving it in. I’m one to wax playfields regularly so some extra spin is fine.

#3728 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

A hardtop is different than a playfield protector. A hardtop is actually glued to the wood whereas a protector floats. I don't like either option over wood but at least the protector isn't permanent.

Yeah, gluing something to the playfield seems very counterintuitive. Especially if you’ve experienced old Mylar :/

#3808 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You should never buy a NIB game because you wont be happy.

I’ve bought four NIB games and three of the four were fine. Still feels like a loot crate even with my (apparently lucky!) 75% success rate.

I also don’t buy the newer/faster reason why some playfields dimple and some don’t. I’ve had my Tron for about five years now, bought it NIB, and it’s not cratered at all. I wax it often and it plays meeean. Not worth getting mad and arguing about, just doesn’t add up for me.

#3828 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We might want to stop using the word dimple and go with crater when it comes to today's playfields to help end some of the confusion.

That’s definitely the difference there. Not talking about normal dimples, but the holy-fucking-crap crater fields.

2 weeks later
#4057 4 years ago

Seems like quality could get even worse, and profits go up even more, and people will still line up to buy the crap sight unseen. Ooh shiny TMNT pin gimme. See what I mean?

I don’t even care what Leo Getz tried to do, my take away was that the pin manufacturers refuse to stand behind their products other than a pity playfield for the loudest voices.

1 week later
#4550 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It's not very ambiguous to me.
HUO = Home. Use. ONLY.
Is a tournament or show home use? No.

I agree. But man there are also local invite only leagues that only play at peoples homes. Big homes with like 30-60 pins, but still homes. All this to say that HUO is a really subjective term.

4 weeks later
#4979 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Just a data point, I believe the pooling/chipping issue is corrected. My Wonka CE has zero pooling and is holding up fine. It does dimple but that is not unexpected to me on any pin.

Thanks, that helps. I’m thinking of getting a Wonka SE but unsure what build date to look for other than “last week” lol. Maybe just wait a tad longer and roll the dice for a 2020 build.

3 months later
#5312 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Here's where Jack was asked about it at 2019 Expo. Fast forward to 52:25 into the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3174&v=vdNMZ2cjCV0&feature=emb_logo

Thanks for the link; glad I watched. Yeah, fuck that lol.

1 month later
#5796 3 years ago

Haven’t seen any pics of messed up TMNT playfields yet. Fixed? Illuminati conspiracy to cover up the truth? Discuss.

#5837 3 years ago

I still haven’t seen one pic of a TMNT playfield with the ooey-gooey issues from the JP era. Fixed?

3 weeks later
#6158 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

- Clear Coat has one hard dot-spot like seen on earlier posts, I will live with it until i see damage occuring

I think my first Tron Pro had one of those hard clear coat dots that stuck up on it. It was just not very noticeable due to the dark blue color. Mine survived a showing at Zapcon and several owners and never progressed to anything worse.

2 months later
#6563 3 years ago

Looks round to me, with a different wood layered on top.

1 week later
#6841 3 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I'm with you. They are passing on the problem to the consumer, which isn't right.
It seems washers would have solved many of the issues. I'm not sure all of them, but at least some, especially my Deadpool damage.

My JP Pro arrived with big ugly metal washers *already installed* under the slingshot starposts. Still pooled in less than 30 games. Multiple posts all over the playfield, probably about half of them to some degree. The fact that my JP Pro arrived with those crappy metal washers installed and the local arcade's JP Pro didn't tells me they fucking knew about it and decided to sell me a piece of shit anyway. I sold it a week later, cut my losses, and refuse to play the NIB loot crate game again.

I would probably be in the market for a turtles or an avengers if I wasn't scared of getting fucked over again, but for now, money just keeps going into savings.

1 week later
#7074 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Here you go[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WE GOT ONE!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vernon Hills, IL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darkwing.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=darkwing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.