IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#207 4 years ago

I'm really starting to think this is a heat and humidity issue during manufacturing. The Stern factory is likely not air conditioned, and we know these JP games were built in the last week or two, when we have had some very hot weather. Does the new water borne clear suck humidity back no into it if applied in a heavy layer? Does the heavy layer not fully cure under the current curing conditions at the playfield factory? Is the water based clear sucking humidity back into itself again after the normal curing process at the factory?

Is the clear trapping the humidity in the wood and causing a delamination of the printing and softer clear coat? I had a gottlieb machine once that spent time outdoors under roof on a golf course in Maryland humidity. When I went to mask the playfield for touch-up, the playfield artwork came up in sheets and completely delaminated from the wood when I removed the mask. I believe the humidity wicked into the wood and caused the ink and clear coat to release itself. Could this be happening with the new clear coat?

#371 4 years ago

Where's #1 JJP fan Dr. Freightener at during all this? Strangely quiet lately...

#397 4 years ago

I think the problem here isn't cure time...its probably an issue with humidity or improper mixing of the two parts of the clear coat before application. If the mix is off, the clear will never cure.

#400 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

HEP said something that made a lot of sense. He indicated that the fact that the playfield ink comes up with the clear almost makes it seem like possibly a playfield screen/printing/ink issue. He said something along the lines of if it is a adhesion issue it needs to be fixed immediately moving forward by adding some type of adhesion promoter to the ground floor of the playfields or finding a product that bites in better.

I don't totally buy this...the clear is not hard enough, and the ink adhesion does not have any effect on that. When your fingernail can still mark the playfield after 6 months, you have a problem in the clear itself.

The clear may be bonding to the printed artwork better than the wood- think of it as a tug of war. Something has to break loose. The ink layers themselves, the printed ink to wood bond, or the ink to clear coat bond. The weakest connection will be the first point of failure. We also may be seeing more than one problem at work here. It could be plausible that the water based clear causing the ink to lift easier on top of also being a bad application of the clear product. My money is on the notion that the ink adhesion is fine, the clear is not hard and the movement of the clear is causing the ink to sheer off its bond with the wood. Correct the clearcoat issue, and the ink delamination issue isn't actually an issue.

#457 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

The balls can not get even close to touching the washers.

I always keep my loose balls away from the washer...that's some nightmare fuel there.

#465 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

It's sort of ironic that you can pay JJP extra for shiny RadCals eye candy
In all honesty, I would be willing to pay extra for a PF with a better coating using higher quality clear - something that actually matters

This isn't possible...their games are already built to last, its right on their web site!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#821 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

explain why it doesn't do it on bare wood then?
only where art is

With a properly cured clearcoat, it will not happen in either scenario. The printed ink is just the weakest bond here, but the ink should never be forced to sheer from the wood in the first place if the clear was of proper hardness. They fact that the clear is bunching up is enough to tell you that the soft elasticity of the clear is causing the ink bond to sheer from the wood. Fix the clear and the problem goes away entirely.

#832 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Because the clear coat has nothing to latch onto essentially. As other posters have said and Spooky has done on ACNC, no art, no problem. I don't see what changing the clearcoat mixture is gonna do if the art underneath won't stay stuck to the board. Could we see a "spooky treatment" revision coming from JJP & Stern?

Because the clearcoat is soft. Clearcoat should never be able to bunch in on the first place. It should be rock hard and not accept fingernail marking. The printing has absolutely nothing to do with this.

#849 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

For What It's Worth... I watched Todd N. Tuckeys latest video he posted a couple of days ago #1514.
In it he reviews two Stern Munster Color LE's he has for sale. At time mark 13:40 Todd states:
"We've had an awful lot of games pass through here at TNT. I've had ZERO playfield problems or complaints. We haven't experienced any, and
nobody has called us with game they've gotten. And no electronic problems. We've had ZERO issues".
Now I know he's a distributor, and he is in the business of selling games, but I found his comment interesting and heartening as well.
You can catch it here:

Does he really sell many NIB games? His past NIB prices have had me not even consider him.

#892 4 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

This seems like an attempt to get this thread locked based on politics.

Let's dial it back a notch. You really have to go nutty to get a thread locked on here, and I'm okay with that. If the mods have an issue, the appropriate users will be moderated.

1 week later
#1380 4 years ago

Just played an early JP...no major pooling that I could see.

20190913_173242 (resized).jpg20190913_173242 (resized).jpg20190913_173259 (resized).jpg20190913_173259 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2623 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I apologize if this has already been discussed but does anyone know if any of the early run Guardians of the Galaxy games have had these pooling and/or chipping issues?

My December 2017 GOTG has no issues.

1 week later
#2759 4 years ago

Buddy got a new JP...2 bad coil stops and an insert sunk in about 1/16", which effects gameplay. Hopefully Stern takes care of his PF for him.

20191027_185742 (resized).jpg20191027_185742 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2911 4 years ago

Shame on people for accepting an unpopulated playfield as an acceptable remedy. Stern sold a defective product, end of story. Their options are to come pick their machine up and send a new one, or send someone out to swap in a populated playfield. Anything less is enabling Stern to produce even crappier products because they know they can get away with it.

#3051 4 years ago

Automated up in Connecticut takes plastic for payment.

#3138 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I am done with NIB overpriced games. There is no way to justify these prices for what you are receiving. These distributors are make over well $1500 on every game sold.

Care to back up your $1500 claim with some non-anecdotal proof?

2 weeks later
#3198 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Not me. I emailed them and was told it is "backordered". From what I hear, best chance is sometime in Jan.

I believe they are making Stranger things already...hence the "backorder".

#3209 4 years ago

Stern is still doing full populated playfield swaps, but the bar is really high....like 5 levels of approval to get one approved.

#3262 4 years ago

I think folks need to start naming distributors who are not doing their jobs as distributors. I think you will find some pretty popular ones that seem to "lose" emails about customer service problems, yet respond in 5 minutes to a sales inquiry.

1 week later
#3316 4 years ago

Guys, you need to CALL Stern, not email them. They always answer the phone during business hours. Emails are mostly blown off. The threshold for getting a new populated playfield is very high, needing the approval of all 5 people in the chain to agree it is bad enough before the new populated playfield will be agreed upon. One "no" vote and you're SOL. The process is slow, because these people only get together once a week. Call them, and keep calling them until you have answers.

#3406 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I am very very happy to report that I just got a phone call from Stern this morning. They are shipping me a populated playfield. This is very good news. And an early Christmas present.
Stern is doing the right thing!

Don't get in too big of a hurry...I know people who had their populated playfield swap approved months ago and nothing is happening.

#3410 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Who did you speak with?

Chaz is who you will wind up talking to.

#3497 4 years ago

I have no dimples in playfields I've sprayed with DuPont Chroma.

#3648 4 years ago

Local JP pro here on location appears to have peeling clearcoat in places now. Born in August 2019.

20191231_143146 (resized).jpg20191231_143146 (resized).jpg20191231_144151 (resized).jpg20191231_144151 (resized).jpg
#3650 4 years ago

Not unless the whole upper playfield comes from the factory that way.

#3670 4 years ago

I'd be curious to see if some of these super dimpled Stern playfields accidentally got cut on the bad side instead of the good side. Hey Gary, why not raise the price from $5,899 to $5911 and stop giving us a shit playfield surface?

#3760 4 years ago

I can drop a hammer off a ladder onto my solid bamboo floor and not dent it. 5000 on Janka scale.

Also, Phenolic sheet will not ever dent. Doesnt warp in the heat, either.

Screenshot_20200105-165437_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200105-165437_Chrome (resized).jpg
#3864 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

My point is really more that there has to be something explaining the variability. If you claim it's just the wood, and the wood is consistent, what explains the variability? I think it's likely numerous factors, including inconsistencies in wood and clear.

Stern is using multiple clearcoating subcontractors. Start there.

1 week later
#3942 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah. I wonder if Stern and or JJP could implement an online mode for games that only works if the game itself recognizes the correct pitch (within a certain degree), and that the glass is on. The glass part could be pulled off by some type of marker on the glass and or the lockdown bar / glass channel at the top of the game both detecting that the glass is there.

Maybe if they could come up with a way to do a tamper proof RFID tag on both sides of the glass so the tag would have to be within a certain proximity of the sensor, but won't work with the glass off the machine.

#3965 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

What was Stern's response ? Any different than JJP ? I'm seriously asking - since JJP seems to get the brunt of it here..

It is still possible to get a complete playfield swap if the damage is bad enough with Stern. 5 key people at Stern have to okay it, and you may have to wait a few months, but at least it is an option in some cases. Offering a bare playfield that people haven't received in half a year on a premium game from a company that bills themselves as such is more than a bit of a failure, IMO. Clearcoat falling off a month or two old game is not a customer problem, it is a JJP problem. The customer shouldn't be made to feel like shit for asking that they get what they paid a premium for in a timely manner.

#3975 4 years ago

This is a tough one...I don't really blame Goetz for trying to get a suitable remedy for being sold very expensive lemon. But I also respect Joe for coming on here and addressing the facts he has on his side and staying professional about it. Not many distributors out there will even answer the phone (per se) after the sale. At the end of the day, I think both parties want the same thing...and Jack is screwing his distributor AND his end customer.

#4000 4 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Joe just proved to this community that this dude lied to everyone, from his distributor, to the manufacturer, to everyone on Pinside. Not to mention tried to work backroom shady deals to benefit himself, and screw the rest of the buyers. It's mind-blowing to me that anyone cold overlook that, or still continue to point any fingers at Joe or Jack. As far as I'm concerned, he has shown that he's an untrustworthy selfish snake, who deserves nothing. I don't care what version of what game you bought, You play by the same rules as the rest of us.
I bought my first game with Joe late last year. a MBR Standard Edition, or whatever they call the lowest model. Joe had no reason to do me any favors or trust me more than anyone else. When I told him I needed a week or two to move around some money and pay in full, he just sent me the game and told me to start operating it, so i can start getting some income from it. He had no reason to do that, other than to be helpful and make an impression. And he took a risk that I may keep the game and never pay him. Needless to say I made it a point to get him paid immediately following.. Integrity, Honor, and Trustworthiness are all that matters in business. Him and I showed each other that we possess these characteristics. I can say confidently that this Goetz character does not. Period.

I hope you have paid Joe's kindness forward to others. Unfortunately, you were a jackass to me on Facebook when I offered help in a thread you posted in one of the groups. We don't need that crap in this hobby.

#4050 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Stern has not giving out any populated playfields either and won't

Absolutely not true.

#4101 4 years ago

I think the best bet for people who have been burned by a pinball manufacturer is to file a complaint with their state attorney general/consumer protection agency/lemon law program. I don't see any other way you have any teeth in this situation. What is going on is wrong, and the manufacturers need to be placed back into reality.

#4211 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Foreman?
There's your problem. You are buying union built homes? Just asking for issues.

Every builder I know of in my area has foreman. None are union. The only difference between today and 25 years ago is there use to be one on each crew. The foreman usually is skilled in multiple facets of the job, not just framing or trim. The foreman would get a small bump in pay to run the site, and fill in where needed. Now a foreman runs multiple jobs and spends a good chunk of time driving between them and putting the fires out.

As for quality...you better be on site every day making sure your house is being built correctly, because quality is secondary any more.

#4302 4 years ago
Quoted from caz1844:

Hey Guys, I just pulled the trigger and got a Stern Jurassic pro and I'm hopeful not to have any playfield issues but if I do what should I be looking for during my first few weeks with game?
Excited to get the game as It looks really amazing!

Nice! Keep an eye on the post in front of the upper flipper. If yours has not been modified, you may want to loctite it. My neighbors would not stay tight at all, and it wound up stripping out entirely. He is also waiting on a populated swap to be delivered (due to other defects).

#4305 4 years ago
Quoted from caz1844:

Does the big washer indicate newer or older build date?

Newer build dates will have the artwork pulled back from the sling posts...you will see bare wood in the circles printed on the PF instead of art all the way through. The washers were applied to games the first couple weeks they made them, when the pooling was first reported on the first released games.

#4307 4 years ago
Quoted from caz1844:

Ok sounds good, I'll look for that. What does stern do if you start to see pooling on the posts or dimpling on the PF?

Depends on how bad it is. They will probably do nothing for pooling alone. Once the clear cracks, you may be able to get a new bare playfield. If the damage is extensive, you may be able to get a full PF swap if you meet their criteria, while standing on one foot, with your left eye closed, and flossing your teeth with the other foot. That is about how simple the latter process is It has been several months of waiting so far since the initial commitment from Stern.

#4497 4 years ago

You can't measure the divots with a standard micrometer unless you use a ball positioned over a divot and depth mic off two gauge blocks. I think you'll find the depth of the divot much smaller than you realize.

However, you could use a caliper to measure the diameter of the divot and calculate it's depth since we know the diameter of a pinball. Much easier.

e44e016e1e7a8528bac018ec951a67da (resized).jpge44e016e1e7a8528bac018ec951a67da (resized).jpg
#4571 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Just wanted to chime in. I got my Wonka game over the weekend, build date of late October. No issues.
It was interesting to see a page JJP gives with machines saying how dimpling, ghosting and craze lines and other things of the play field are normal (no mention of pooling).

I guess when the majority of your machines have clearcoat defects, the defective ones become the norm, and perfect ones are abnormal. Congrats on your abnormal machine!

#4641 4 years ago

Playfield protectors just don't work for me. They play different, take the ball noise away, and get dirty too fast.

#4657 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

How do you feel about modern days thick clear with synthetic/plastic varnish.
Is there less of an issue, when sprayed on?

I have had great experiences with modern 2 part auto clear coat finishes that I apply myself. And I'm not talking the rattle can stuff. I use $130/quart DuPont Chroma clear. Nice and hard in a couple days, doesn't chip, and plays to my liking.

#4703 4 years ago

So I have an old Gottlieb Victory with a similar playfield surface...kind of like a hardtop, but a bit thinner. The playfield has held up well the last 30 years, but I have not figured out how to polish the ball trails out of it. You can get the dirt off, but the surface isn't as shiny as where they balls travel (think lanes that are only as wide as the ball. I have used Novus 1, 2 and 3, and none of those seem to make any improvement on shine. I guess I will have to strip the whole thing down and try the "mylar reconditioning" method. On clearcoated playfields, the shine comes right back after a good cleaning. Even on a game that had the crap routed out of it (like early 2000's Sterns).

#4705 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Totally risky but I wonder it flame polishing like ramps would fix it?

I could try it sometime in a hidden area just to see. If I really really cared, it's like the cheapest playfield out there to buy NOS. But it would be good to figure out a way to deal with this issue now that hardtops are starting to become more popular.

1 week later
#4889 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I don't know what a "bricks" is...and you only like the "progression" because you get see it...many machines on location don't get updated, meaning lots of players only get to play the early/poor code - and then decide "this machine sucks".

Don't worry...Iron Maiden was the second coming of Christ, until Duggie sold it.

#4909 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They cut and insert 100% of their playfields at Stern.
Multiple vendors for art and clear. Not sure how many. Dwight confirmed this on his tour.
I don’t think there’s a post that takes more abuse than this one. Probably should’ve been one of those tnuts on the top side that is recessed like they used to do with sling posts.

They need to make a new 1-piece post that has an integrated flange on the bottom to distribute the force of the ball across a wider area on the playfield. Then attach it through the playfield with a nut and large diameter hardened washer on the bottom of the playfield. According to the quick sketch I made, you could do a 1/16"x 7/8" integrated base flange and still not hit the ball. The current washer looks to be about a 1/2" diameter? That would be about 70% more surface area to dissipate the force.

#4912 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

What exactly is the posts purpose? If it isn't needed I'd just remove it completely and put a mylar dot over it right out of the box.

Protects the upper flipper from very hard ball hits. The flipper would most likely break in short order if it took direct hits to the tip.

2 weeks later
#5004 4 years ago

Stern has been screwing my friend around for 5 months now after committing to a populated playfield. They won't even give an idea of a date for when he may get his. Current excuse is "machines we are building right now are already sold". Well, TMNT is probably going to be on the line shortly, so that will lead to more excuses. Talking to a lawyer now to go over options.

#5006 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Got my IMDN playfield, looks perfect.
11/6 first contact emailed Patrick Powers. After emailing every week he got back to me and requested pictures/serial number. Sent pics and waited. On 11/26 he notified me I was getting a new playfield. It was received yesterday. 4 months. I did email him from time to time asking for an update with no response.
One little chip and one pooling post. No big deal and I thought I'd get the brush off considering I wasn't the original buyer.
Playfield front and back look perfect. Predrilled and ready for a swap. Thank you Stern!

Pat stopped returning this persons emails and phone calls, which is part of the reason for the escalation.

#5022 4 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Wish Stern would do something similar to Haggis and just end all this crap. I’m interested in TMNT, but tired of these cheap playfields. If Deeproot delivers, it will be nice to have some more competition.

I love how everyone thinks the Haggis solution is some pinball altering invention already. Not one of their machines is out in the real world getting beat on day in and day out. A lot of time needs to pass to see how well those machines hold up before we decide that the Haggis playfield is the benchmark of quality. The plastic is held on by tape at the moment, for crying out loud. Just because it does not dimple does not mean the finish is going to stay bright and shiny. One operator who leaves a ball in too long is going to scratch the hell out of that plastic permanently. Plastic is much softer than clear coat, and you are going to play hell buffing out ball tracks from orbits and whatnot.

#5026 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

So is there any general consensus as to how a "hardtop" holds up in a location setting?
In general, what Haggis is showing is really just a new "harder" hardtop system (using a scratch-resistant acrylic rather than whatever plastic the hardtops use).
Do the hardtops have problems with ball tracks or not staying "bright and shiny"?

My Victory is Vitrograph, which is basically the same thing. I haven't been able to make the high ball travel portion like the left orbit as shiny as the surrounding area yet. Acrylic or PETG, either way...once the dirt is embedded in it, you are going to play hell getting it out. Automotive clear is much harder and more resistant to the same thing.

3 months later
#5327 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I think it will be up to your definition of a PF issue. I see that a couple people disagree with my definition based off a previous post, which is fine as that is their right. But, I still define a game with PF issues as one without a smooth finish. I haven't heard or seen of anyone with a 2020 PF having pooling issue and I doubt we will since the clear has been significantly reduced. Not 2020 but my December 13th, 2019 DP PF has a very wavy and grainy finish and 100% of the inserts are slightly above the rest of the PF. You can visibly see it and your fingernail will hit it if you run your finger along the finish (kind of like how auto details use their fingernail to judge the depth of a scratch). IMHO opinion this PF is defective. Whether others agree with that or not is up to them though but will skew the responses to the question at hand.
Reposting pics here for reference.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Raised inserts and graining effect remind me a lot of a humidity issue. Wood shrinking would do both. Is the wood not dry enough at the time of processing?

2 weeks later
#5534 3 years ago

A friend of mine received his populated JP playfield this week after nagging them since last October. I guess miracles can still happen? His original had an insert sunken in far enough to effect gameplay.

#5537 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

In my case its unpopulated, i was also told stern wants the old one back. Im going to do the swap then send back the old one as long as they include a return receipt, they said they would. I think making customers wait 6-12 months or more is crappy, this kind of treatment is on purpose, starts at the top.

And what are they going to do if you don't send it back? Send Jared out to scowl at you until you set aside a week of your own time to do the swap? I would tell them to pound sand.

In the case of populated playfields being sent- once yours is ready to be shipped, they send you a box to pack your old one in. Once you send it back, they send you the new one.

#5540 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Agreed here. I'm actually really surprised that Stern hasn't taken advantage of this possible business opportunity here to just sell populated PF's for their new titles. Not sure how many of you have pulled a Spike PF but it's stupid easy. This could be a win/win for Stern. They have a stock of populated PF that they send for warrantee PF issues, when the old one comes back in they have an employee or two swap the PF and can then sell that assembly for a slight discount (remanufactured unity). Then they could also sell new populated PF's. Think of how many people want the latest and greatest but don't have the space for another game. You could easily store several Populated PF's in the same space as a machine or even just 1 under an existing game. Not to mention the accessories market for storage options.

While it sounds cool, it doesn't make sense to sell something like a populated playfield that would in turn dilute their NIB sales. Sold out $600 crappy toppers have proven to them that pinheads will just buy the whole game if they want it. Given Stern's price structure, the populated PF would probably run $4000 or $4500 alone. Might as well just wait a few months to buy a routed game and get the whole thing.

#5565 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Hey mom, I know eating at Jack in The Box and Chipotle has killed several people in the last couple weeks, but can we eat at one of them anyway?" "Sure son. If anything happens we will complain about it on the internet. That will teach them"

I've never been sick from Chipotle because I never get any produce on my burrito. Just the heart clogging crap.

#5582 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Must be some magical formula to attack the insert glue and pry up those inserts.

Wood probably isn't as dry as it should be and is shrinking at some point after having the inserts installed and drum sanded flush. Would also explain some of the planking effect going on as well.

#5684 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I believe you are correct. I've read that they use several cabinet sources and to save money, get the cheaper wood, as evidenced by the cabinets splitting at the corners issue a couple years ago.

And I thought I read somewhere that the splitting cabinet issue precipitated Stern going to another manufacturer.

#5746 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Honest question - how have they fixed their playfields any more than Stern? The latest Wonka playfields are not pooling and chipping but isn’t the same true for current Sterns? Neither has given even basic cause & corrective action for past issues so how do we know if the “fixes” are robust and how playfields will hold up over time.

They are not longer putting a thick, glossy layer of clear on. The clear is noticeably thinner now.

#5762 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

My Elvira, stranger things and Jurassic park, all purchased this year have really good playfields. No issues, even minimal to no dimpling. Pretty sure they fixed it people. Stop whining

It rained here today, so it rained everywhere in the world. Right?

1 week later
#5847 3 years ago

Should flatten out!

Screenshot_20200720-104803_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200720-104803_Facebook (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5931 3 years ago

As I posted in the Turtles thread...

I've said it before and ill say it again. The exact same thing happened during the heat waves last year. JP2 games built in June, July and August during the heat waves were the worst. The heat and high humidity on the factory floor is not allowing the clearcoat to fully cure before the playfields are populated. Stern needs to invest in climate control and a proper curing process that can be carried out consistently during all four seasons. Remember how the playfields all seemed to get better in the fall/winter. Yup. I am convinced.

#5958 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

Most of the early buyers of new machines don't care (much) about the playfield quality.
It's going to arcades and pinball addicts (like me).
I just want to play a new machine asap and that's it.
For me it's not some holy grail to cherish my whole life.
As long as the problems don't affect the game play, there is no problem.
If you 're not like that, don't buy NIB, wait till someone sells theirs and go check the machine (and rub that precious shooter lane).

JP2's with bad playfields are going for $4900-$5200 from what I have seen. JP2's with good playfields are going for $4900-$5200 from what I have seen.

#6016 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

They just don't care anymore. Here is what I sent them this AM. We will see what comes from that. If not, I guess I'll have to take the next step and get my attorney involved. I really don't want to go that route but I refuse to sit back quietly and not get what I paid for. Sure, it may cost me more in the long run doing that but I'm at the point now that I'd be willing to go that route out of principle alone.
[quoted image]

Don't make him any more mad!

#6089 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I dont like using the word but this thread is nothing short of toxic.... a lot of consumer complaints and a lot of product issues, neither of which will be going away any time soon.
Usually this thread to me is like a car crash... i can't help but have a look but I'm over it. It achieves nothing and only makes you feel like shit about your recent purchase and being in the hobby, or at best leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
So a realisation... eff this thread. Im going to buy and enjoy my games. I'm not going to seek out every little imperfection on the game i buy. The reality is for me anyway that i could go back to another hobby like cars and waste a whole lot more money than on pinnies. At the end of the day they hold their value pretty well regardless. All hobbies cost money and have their issues. When you start to spend more time complaining than enjoying its probably a good sign to leave.

Where else are you going to hear the truth about the actual quality of these games? It definitely isn't going to be brought up on 95% of the podcasts out there. No need to announce your departure...just drain and move on.

#6125 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Absolute B.S. weight does mostly equal quality and also affects nudging. For example the ultra light PSU used is an absolute POS.

Then put a bag of sand in the machine then. The transformer being removed from the cabinet is most of the weight loss between older machines and new ones.

2 weeks later
#6319 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yep, this is why I dont understand Stern. Surely by now they understand a huge portion of the market want quality, not just something expendable and thrown on route. I would wager to say, and i should probably not say it, but give a buyer and option for an upgraded PF on a pin, and they would pay double Sterns cost, and lower warranty requirements. Seems so easy?

Stern has a months long order backlog if the rumors can be believed. They really have no motivation to change, as what they are doing is working very well for their bottom line. Pinheads are still going to buy their games, flaws and all. Once another competitor pulls enough market share from Stern to cause Stern to have to consider cutting down their production quantities and staff head counts, you MIGHT see a new focus on quality. Until then, expect more of the same.

#6380 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

There still seems to be a price detective around every corner these are just two of them
While I didnt actually intend this. I dont think Stern would have to admit to anything. They could just say they are delivering a better pinball experience with better PF wood, while understanding that operators may not care about it, so they are giving us more choices!!!
It actually blows my mind that they wont use CPR pf and charge the customer $50 more. Stern seems like they just think one title at a time(I know they dont, but for how big they are in the pin world, you would think they would have a longer term vision). Maybe they are that close to bankruptcy?
If Stern's Cost of Goods increased by $200 for a dramatically better/harder chunk of wood, then a manufacturer usually expects at least 6X-8X return at the retail level. So the $200 increase in materials cost would translate to an additional $1200-1600 in retail price. Doing the math backwards reveals a Retail $7000 pinball machine costs about $1200 (in parts) to make in their worse case scenerio, but could be closer to $875 if they are really aggressive. (Then add their assembly/manufacturing labor costs to get their total investment per machine. In this playfield case, changing material would not change labor, so it is just the markup shown above).
So, the diabolical brains here would then ask the question, "So what AM I getting for the difference in cost between the PREMIUM and LE Editions?". Seems like a bunch of vanity stuff, with little actual cost of goods. But then again, the limited edition certificate, the signature of the author, the exclusive club nature of LE, and the powder coatings ARE valuable to some deep collectors which is why the 500 LEs fly off the shelves...
Last question: Would the LE buyers pay an ADDITIONAL $1200-1600 (at list price) on top of the current LE pricing to get a harder more robust playfield?

I am not sure what you were smoking when you wrote this post, but please feel free to send some of it my way if you have any extra.

2 weeks later
#6472 3 years ago

Came across this interesting post in the comments on the Stern FB page last week. I wonder if the "spraying" area was for playfields, cabinets or both. Didn't these pooling issues start about 2 years ago? I still maintain they are battling environmental issues and mixing formula issues in their clearcoating process during the hot and humid months.

Screenshot_20200912-162753_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200912-162753_Facebook (resized).jpg
1 month later
#6685 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I thought they did the clear now also, Jack Danger mentioned it in the video but said we're not going to show you that room.

It looks like the playfields are cleared after the inserts are done, then they go out for printing, and another layer of clear over that. Not sure who does the final coat of clear. Knowing this information, the adhesion problems to the wood lay squarely on Stern.

#6693 3 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

Haven’t read thru all the posts just saw the title. I was able (well my distributor) to get Stern to swap out my JP LE with a new perfect populated play field.
Feels like a new machine. Question - not that I’m selling anytime soon but does that move the plays count back down to 0, since majority of the machine is new? How do you account for this kind of situation?

Nobody really cares about play count. Play your machine and don't worry about it.

#6718 3 years ago

Sprayed one coat of Cromax 2 part auto clear on this Motordome playfield on Saturday, and its passing the hammer test on Tuesday already. You be the judge.

20201020_154012 (resized).jpg20201020_154012 (resized).jpg20201020_154236 (resized).jpg20201020_154236 (resized).jpg
#6834 3 years ago

I was one of the ones who believed they switched to water based clears. After doing some research, it seems the auto repair industry only does the base coats in water based now. There is no effective water based clear coat out there being used at this time. I believe they are either not mixing the stuff right, or using something with an extended pot life, which is not ever getting hard. When you are doing one playfield, you can use the super fast stuff that is dry to the touch in 15-20 minutes. This isn't as advantageous when you are spraying for an entire 8 hour shift. Thats a lot of stopping, swapping and cleaning. Not very efficient.

#6849 3 years ago

Looking to buy a JP pro right now, but I am weighing waiting for a used one or going NIB. The prices are not that far apart between the two right now, and at least with one...you know what you are getting. But of course, when I am ready to buy...none are listed locally.

1 week later
#7093 3 years ago

Took delivery of a JP pro today...born on August 25 of this year. No playfield issues that I can see so far. Did have a node 1 issue out of the box, wound up finding a pin just barely out of socket on one plug on the MPU. Easy fix.

5 months later
#8115 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, so far I've been hearing that Stern will send a populated replacement if your pf is actually bowed/warped. They seem to be taking that a lot more seriously than the chipping stuff.

The key to having Stern approve a populated PF swap is the ball and gameplay must be affected by the flaw. A sunken insert or a warped PF seems to be a shoe-in for this. Cosmetic issues alone seem to be a tougher road to take.

#8122 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I've been fighting with my distributor for almost 2 years and haven't gotten anywhere. I told them about the issue about 45 days after receiving the game. It's always "I'll check with Stern and get back to you". Then I wait a few weeks, email them again and I get the "I'll check with Stern and let you know".
I'm really pissed off and half tempted to throw them under the bus because they appear to have hung me out to dry. I've bought 3 games from them and would have bought a JP Premium shortly after they were released, but since no one has stepped up to fix my issue, I'm not buying shit.

People need to know who these distributors are. There are some distributors out there who have little legions of fans that will smack people down for bringing their poor service to light. I don't get it. They are always fast to answer the phone/email for a sales call, but miraculously the warranty emails seem to get "lost".

2 weeks later
#8237 2 years ago

Meanwhile, OP of this thread is looking at buying a Mando according to the Mando thread. Manufacturers really have little incentive to do a better job when sales are as good as they are. JJP and Stern both seem to have figured this out.

#8266 2 years ago

The part of the Gomez interview that stuck out to me was about reworking bad playfields. He mentions $200 playfield blanks having a flaw found somewhere in the process, and they sand them down again to try to save them.

The top and bottom layer of veneer on the plywood is the hardest layer, and then softer layers are used in the middle for filler. If the top layer starts out at .060"-.080" thick, that is one thing. But if they have to sand half of that or more, now your harder layer is not as strong due to thickness degradation and having a softer layer backing it up. This could be why some playfields dimple far more than others. I'd be curious if someone with a heavily dimpled playfield would be able to eyeball the first layer thickness looking at the edge of the playfield with a set of calipers, and then compare it to machines without major dimpling issues.

This isn't conjecture, George confirmed they rework and sand them down thinner on occasion to save a $200 playfield blank.

#8270 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

That was sort of surprising. I can't remember his exact words but he basically said the playfields are designed to allow for them to be reworked a few times if necessary, but it must have an effect on the quality. Certainly a playfield that was done right on the first try is better than one that was reworked several times.
While he was complaining about the added width of the plastic playfield surfaces, I kept thinking about the removed width of sanding the boards down to redo them. I guess changing the width of the boards is OK when Stern does it but "absolutely atrocious" when customers do it to protect their investment.

I 100% agree with him that playfield protectors are atrocious.

2 weeks later
#8561 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Can you imagine buying a firearm with the same level of issues and known QC problems as JJP?

Ever own any modern Taurus firearms?

1 year later
#9042 1 year ago

Stern Playfields from the Roller Coaster Tycoon and Ripley's eras had excellent durability.

Quoted from FantasticPinball:

https://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2021/2021-04-24/html/reg1-eng.html
All paints including PPG Omni products were changed to comply with new environmental regulations. New products are water based.

This isn't true. I can buy numerous clear coats loaded with methylethylbadshit from my local auto paint supply place all day every day.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=jodyg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.