IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago

Sounds like this issue is occurring only on Mirco produced playfields which JJP uses exclusively and Stern uses for some of their playfields. That may be why the issue isn't occurring as often on Stern games since they use other playfield manufacturers.

In regards to timing for when the issue began my best best guess is late summer 2018 when Pirates started to ship. Dialed In's produced prior to Pirates used Mirco playfields but didn't have clear pooling around posts or post chipping. Something changed with Mirco playfields during the summer of 2018 and from what I can tell they are still being made the same way.

Overall this issue is unacceptable and the last thing owners of a NIB pin should have to worry about while paying record high prices is playfield quality. Want to charge top dollar for these games? Ok but then offer top quality.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

GOTG I think pre-dates POTC. I would love to know if Mirco was in fact used for the stern pins having the issue.

GOTG was announced in October of 2017 but is still being made. The picture of the GOTG with this issue was likely made sometime between summer 2018 and now. That's assuming the playfield in the pic was made by Mirco.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I have a Maiden Pro built in early April 2018 which has some pooling around posts, so it was happening before Summer.

Good to know. If this issue occurs on Stern games it seems limited to pooling versus chipping that is occurring on some JJP games. Has anyone seen a Stern game with post chipping made in the past two years?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Rumor has it that JJP playfields are made in China from what I've heard recently although they do use Microplayfields too. Maybe their CE models use Microplayfields and then China for the other models.

What?! First I've heard of this. Can anyone else confirm?

#250 4 years ago

I was considering either a Wonka or JP premium but don't want to deal with playfield headaches for $6k - $10k. Picked up a nice Mata Hari today with a CPR playfield instead, will use the difference to go on a vacation. Get your act together Stern and JJP.

No chipping or pooling! Lol
20190824_221150 (resized).jpg20190824_221150 (resized).jpg

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

From JP owners club...[quoted image]

Wow I thought I read a comment from Mirco that they haven't made playfields for Stern? Not sure how old that post is. Maybe the problem is the choice of clear being used between multiple playfield manufacturers?

#339 4 years ago

Not surprised by Sterns response (no widespread issues). I remember when I called them about the cabinet separating issue and was told "theres no problem, sometimes a cabinet doesn't get enough glue"...

#346 4 years ago

Imagine if this issue is occurring due to companies asking playfield manufactueres to make playfields cheaper by using a cheaper product? In the TWIP podcast that sure sounds like a possibility. That would be complete BS with how much we are paying today for pins! Charging $6k - $12.5k and you are going to save money on the clear coat process? Again, BS!

#366 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

HEP mentioned that PFs with this issue are likely going to have much bigger problems down the road. Whether it is time or plays we don’t know, but the bubbling/chipping is indicative of a larger problem that affects the entire playfield. There are playfields that had this issue and appear to be deteriorating or having the issue spread rather quickly. Point being, the long term is affected in some way, in varying degrees depending on how bad your specific PF is affected. Covering it up now with a washer is just hiding the problem for now. Eventually, it will get worse.

Thankfully there's not been one example though of the issue spreading beyond posts. Even with on location games with thousands of plays the wear isn't going beyond the sling posts. I doubt one day clear will just start chipping randomly in the middle of the playfield. The areas that have chipped are due to the pressure being applied by posts, primarily sling posts, and the slight movement around sling posts caused by the sling solenoid activating. Owners that have covered up the chipping with rubber washers haven't had an issue.

Hell, remember how some very early WOZ's (March - May of 2013) had chipping issues? Part of that was due to no mylar being applied in certain areas but it was also playfield quality related. Wear on those games never spread to the general open playfield. I recall seeing an on location WOZ with the issue, game must have had a crazy high number of plays but the wear didn't spread beyond the reported areas.

#423 4 years ago

My final guess why this is happening. Both Stern and JJP tried to get playfield costs lower and one way of doing so is to save money on the clear process. Mirco, or whoever doesn't just suddenly lose the ability to make quality playfields after doing so without issue for years. This cost savings theory was introduced on the TWIP podcast and honestly it doesn't surprise me one bit.

If true both manufacturers have some nerve to charge record high NIB prices and then cut playfield quality of all things. Based on the TWIP discussion it sounds like the playfield creation process (the wood, applying artwork / clear, prep, etc) is the most costly item in a pinball machine so it's a decent guess to think companies would try to lower costs in that area. As a pinball company you just don't pull something like that as it would be a pure greed move on top of regularly raising prices.

Hope I'm wrong.

#428 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

This is just speculation. I think it's an automation problem.
They are spraying on the playfields and need the solution sprayable thru nozzles. Hence they want a thinner fluid.
It's like concrete, the more water you mix in, the easier distribution, however it will not be strong enough.

It could be that too. This problem has been occurring for over a year based on build dates being reported. This is just a guess but I would think Mirco or other playfield manufacturers would have corrected the problem long ago if it was a spray issue. Stern and JJP wanting to lower playfield costs is a possibility as the problem hasn't been fixed which would make sense if they haven't told their playfield manufacturers to go back to the more expensive method of clearing a playfield.

This issue reminds me of the Stern cabinet separating debacle from a couple years back. All of a sudden out of nowhere there were reports of Stern cabinets separating. I doubt the cabinet makers suddenly lost the ability to make a quality cabinet. It's entirely possible Stern wanted cabinets made cheaper by using a cheaper material or cheaper bonding agent. If they did it backfired and quietly went back to the old method.

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

You usually are FWIW

What's your problem? One day you are nice and the next day you are insulting someone and acting like a troll. Everyone is just speculating and guessing here. I see you still have some beef from our debate about the state of Ghostbusters code after waiting nearly 3 years. The wait sucks, the code isn't complete, time to move on

#434 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I disagree - I don't think it was an attempt to lower costs - if you have any evidence I will revoke my comments
I think it has something to do with the EPA forcing companies to stop using proven products they have for years
and the new products are either inferior and/or not being used/mixed/cured correctly

On the TWIP podcast one of the guys was talking about how some of the new clear products, including water based products, are just as durable compared to products used in the past. They were guessing it could be an issue with the clear mixture, or the playfields purposely being made cheaper.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

What if....!(total speculation on my part)!......
1......the clear and ink are affecting one another, Ink isn't fully cured or incompatible with the clear and retards it from curing.
2......once cured the clear is too brittle and creates cavities under it as it recovers from compression, causing the clear and ink to separate from the substrate.
I feel like we keep looking at the clear as the culprit, but it may not be that simple. I keep going back to the fact the ink is coming up with the clear under post, the ink has obviously melded with clear, almost melted into into it.

Yeah good points, it's likely only the playfield manufacturers know. Something changed with the playfield creation process and I bet they know what that change was and when it occurred.

#470 4 years ago

It's good Stern is including washers on some or all of the newest JP games but that is also just an admission to a playfield issue that they are saying doesn't exist...

#495 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I actually got a disc for WOZ and Hobbit....after that they stopped (at least on my end) + their pretty useless since none of my computers use disc drives......yes they are beautiful, but for $9500 its not worth paying an additional $100 for the manual....the best thing JJP does is put the manual on the display...I've found that to be very useful

The printed JJP manuals are done so well that I find them to almost be like coffee table books. It would cost more then $100 to go to a Kinko's and print the manual on the same paper and at the same quality. The manual on the LCD is great, that is until you have the playfield lifted lol.

#578 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

The chipping will occur fairly fast if it's going to happen... but it should not progress. If the neoprene washers are in there they will absorb the vibrations and prevent future wear.
Wish it had never happened... glad we solved it and appreciate the patience while we did our best to make it right.

Glad to hear that Spooky resolved this! Can you please share any details regarding the root cause of chipping around sling posts and what was done to resolve it?

#842 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Is anyone moving forward with their 8K-12K JJP purchase?
Does the financial hit that you are going to take should you decide to sell the game bother you much?

How about moving forward with a Stern JP or any Stern purchase as well for $6k - $9k? Stern games seems just as susceptible to this issue. A variety of Stern titles made over the past 2 years have had the issue as reported as well.

#844 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I'm keeping my JP Prem order, doesn't affect gameplay at all. Also I trust Stern to take care of any issues if they were to rise. JJP on the other hand...

Stern is not going to replace the hundreds of playfields out there with pooling, if they do it will amazing but what will most likely occur is that some level of pooling will be deemed acceptable. I can see Stern offering a replacement for severe playfield defects but it will be on a case by case basis with a multitude of claim denials along the way. A Stern purchase at this time is still playing the playfield quality lottery, just as it is with JJP.

#852 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Agreed, but just "pooling" isn't an issue. Chipping yes.

Pooling is a sign of the issue and it can lead to chipping in some cases. Seems like a majority of people in this JP for sale thread are saying that pooling is an issue / defect and a game shouldn't be described as "flawless" with it. The clear coat pooling we are seeing now around posts, especially sling posts, wasn't occuring a couple years back so something changed with the way playfields are now being made.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-jurassic-park-pro-2

#859 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I was listening to it just feeling like something was totally off... out of touch with facts, can't work out if it is due to ignorance, bias, or some other directive. Way too much inaccurate information and misguided analysis. Curious that the week before was an episode devoted entirely to JP2....

That's very unfortunate to hear, by showing a biased towards Stern it also shows a lack of integrity. Theres no way they missed all of the reports of the same issue occurring on Stern JP games.

#874 4 years ago

If I was JJP I would tell Mirco that playfields should be made exactly how Hobbit playfields were made. Playfields on The Hobbit are the best quality Mirco has ever put out in my opinion. Dimpling is low (still happens but not as severe as we see today), and the playfield doesn't appear to wear at all as an HUO owner. Hell, I saw a heavily routed operated Hobbit without Cliffy's and the playfield still looked great.

What's sad is those Hobbit playfields were made at a time when JJP nearly went out of business and before the new owners took over. JJP playfield quality, and general quality control, has gone down since the WOZ and Hobbit days yet prices have gone way up!

#944 4 years ago

Jack speaking on a pinball podcast this week about playfield issues and then offering free replacement playfields to Pirates owners with chipping, meanwhile at Stern...

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

AND dont forget this either, just because you dont notice a pooling and/or chipping playfield for a year doesn't mean that it wasnt defective from the factory because it in fact WAS defective on day one!

All playfields are not affected by this issue. There's multiple reports of JJP Pirates and Wonka playfields that don't have the pooling or chipping issue.

#986 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Most are though. If you don’t believe me get out of the house and go visit your local barcades. This IS a widespread issue Panzer believe me.

Yeah I know a lot of games are affected but thankfully it's not all. I have a Pirates LE, built early Feb, with no pooling or chipping. Some playfield batches were affected, others were not. Have heard similar from other owners. My game had plastic washers installed from the factory under the sling posts. Seems like most Pirates sling posts are not smooth on the bottom and have a protruding edge, see pic below. I put some mylar squares down over the post holes just incase. Game is my basement where a dehumidifier runs 24/7, not sure if that helped or not.

eb5099726fbb016b5bee6d1ae3b4df72135723db (1) (resized).jpgeb5099726fbb016b5bee6d1ae3b4df72135723db (1) (resized).jpg

Example of sling posts installed on Pirates, poor QC. Without washers underneath these things would dig right into any playfield if tightened down enough.

fdc449ac4c21c4993936e84afb02a9070dc67a06 (resized).jpgfdc449ac4c21c4993936e84afb02a9070dc67a06 (resized).jpg

Example of sling post digging into plastic factory washer

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg

#988 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I've completed several swaps of Eight Ball Deluxe and Centaur playfields. 20-22 hours each including troubleshooting and adjustments for me.

That's really good. Think maybe 50 hours then for a Pirates due to the amount of parts on the game?

#991 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Its not a restore, 50 hours seems very excessive to me, its still just a pinball machine and its not like there should be a lot of problems or adjustments required. I wonder how many hours it takes a company to assemble a machine.

Yeah, it's going to vary person to person. People doing the WOZ 2.0 board swaps said the entire process took 12 hours, and that's just light boards.

Quoted from LukyDuck:

Heck...if it takes MrBally 20 hours and Panzer 50 I am looking at 100!
And what would I do with all of the extra parts when I am done?

Lol, probably 100 hours for me since I've been a STTNG playfield swap for what seems like forever.

#1222 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Remember when Bat66 came out, there was a big Stern expo party, pizza party and was supposed to be a monkey appearance but ended up dying ? Joe Kaminkow was giving out Batman hats, Gomez got a new car. Don’t think for a minute that your money was foolishly wasted it was used to cover the Ghostbusters populated playfield program.
Now here we are on the verge and the cusp of the brand new fully featured fully loaded super LE of Elvira.
It’s like déjà vu all over again.
The customer will pay for it one way or another, just like any other warranty program it’s built into the price of the game.

Lol yeah.

Maybe for playfield replacements due to chipping / pooling Stern will require a video application where applicants must state why they are worthy of a new playfield...

#1257 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Called my distributor yesterday when he wanted final payment for jp2 LE. I asked him his position and what he’s heard. Stern is STILL saying 7 or 8 documented cases.....

Well he has prepaid for a bunch of LE's and needs to sell them...just saying. There's at least 7-8 documented cases of the issue in this thread alone.

#1259 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Oh I know, just letting you guys know this is still being said.

Yeah. It wouldn't surprise me if Stern said theres only 7-8 documented cases. When I called them a few years back to ask if cabinet separating issues had been resolved (as I wanted to buy a NIB game) I was told "there's no cabinet issues, some simply didn't get enough glue". Still, that's a better response then Stern telling us "there are no widespread playfield issues".

#1280 4 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

The playfield problems have to be wider spread than what is being said. The LE’s should be going out to buyers by now and they aren’t. This looks like more delays just like they had with Ghostbusters. Hopefully Stern can fix this quickly because the last time this happened it was months before it was fixed.

The funny thing is that every new game that Stern installs those large metal washers on is an admission from them that the game may suffer from pooling / chipping despite their "there's no widespread playfield issues" line.

#1282 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What about JJP? You love to Stern bash but you never say much about JJP seems like.

I've been hammering them in the playfield threads as well.

JJP has at least had an employee high up in the company, Jack, publically speak about the issue and personally call owners with severe chipping to offer a refund a replacement playfield and / or send one out for free. Stern however has only said "there's no widespread playfield issues". As of now JJP is handling this issue better then Stern but it doesn't really matter if JJP doesn't permanently correct the problem going forward. Also, it's still BS to expect customers to perform a playfield swap after spending $7.5k - $12.5k on a NIB pin.
1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG

#1314 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I have not heard of Stern sending blank playfields to resolve a playfield issue, only populated ones. With Ghostbusters, it took a long time for them to get the playfield swap program in place and start sending them out. Perhaps it will take some time to get this ramped up, but I am confident Stern will take care of many customers. I am sure some will still not be happy, because in the past they have swapped the bad ones (crossing some sort of threshold) and not swapped some they deem to be minor.

In the case of clear pooling / chipping I can see Stern sending out populated playfields for severe chipping but not for pooling since it seems to exist in some capacity on a large number of Stern pins over multiple titles made within the past several years.

#1316 4 years ago
Quoted from Trothy:

So finally having pulled the trigger on my first machine a BNIB IMDN premium a couple of months back, I have noticed this on the orbit around the back behind the centre ramp. It appears to be some kind of blistering. I take it this isn't normal?
Sorry about picture quality. Awkward angle to get a good shot.[quoted image]

Correcting my previous post, seems to just be mylar bubbling as others below said. I can see the edge of the mylar piece near the post.

#1416 4 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

So Jack reponds by sending out unpopulated playfields and Stern purposely leaks photos of Elvira to take the heat off of them. Well played by both to keep f...ing there customers.

Jack's response sounds better then "hey we aren't going to admit there are playfield problems, send us $9k for our next LE" lol.

#1419 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Can’t see what’s going on there. Any idea whether they’ve fixed the post in front of the upper flipper?

It looks like theres now a small area without artwork around each star post that didn't exist on early pros?

#1458 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

The no art around the post is not anything new, the older Sterns were like that. At some point they made the playfield full art and started drilling through it and that has been the problem.

Yeah. I'm all for no artwork around posts going forward, less headaches to deal with later on. However, it's a bummer to lose artwork around posts, scoops, and saucers but I guess it's better then chipping / pooling. Still a shame that the art adhesion / clear issue isn't being resolved as that is the root issue.

#1470 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I just received my Jurassic Park LE with the new Playfield fixes. Very happy. Think it’s goung to last forever.[quoted image]

Haha!

Look at the flow! This is going to be the fastest game ever. Buttery smooth orbits too. I'm so glad Stern doesn't overload their games which only slows them down.

#1741 4 years ago

Another big problem with Stern not addressing the playfield issue is that it leaves Elvira buyers wondering "Will my game have playfield issues"? Do Elvira LE buyers just bank on Elvira Premiums having playfield problems that are resolved by the time LE's ship? Do Elvira premium owners then think "Guess I'm a guinea pig, hope my game doesn't have problems"? That sucks for buyers of any model considering.

#1798 4 years ago

I was looking at the playfields on my 4 JJP games last night to see how each handled artwork around the sling posts. Both WOZ and Hobbit don't feature artwork around the entire sling area. This changed starting with Dialed In. However, I haven't heard of pooling occuring on Dialed In games.

Why not just go back to no artwork around the sling area like on WOZ and Hobbit? Problem solved. Why did JJP and Stern (GB is same way) go away from this design in the first place? Hobbit also doesn't feature artwork on pretty much all non sling posts as well. This design should just be standard on all games to reduce playfield issues.

20190922_201326 (resized).jpg20190922_201326 (resized).jpg

#1896 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I think we should be constructive and ask the question constructively and positively rather than the pinside torch and fork brigade.
"We notice some ongoing questions with playfield curing, what can you tell us about it? and what help can pinheads give you to solve the problem and what can pinheads do to look after their games to the best effect?"
I want to get a response from Stern knowing that they won't want to admit a problem exists, if we put them on the spot we will get nothing and that would be frustrating so lets be smart about it.
Cheers,
Neil.

"Well, there are no widespread playfield issues. We've only had 6-8 reports of playfield problems. Don't hesitate to buy a Stern game. If you have a problem contact your distributor".

Could be word for word lol.

I would just flat out ask them "What is the cause of playfield clear pooling and chipping on recent Stern games"?

1 week later
#2164 4 years ago

Has JJP made and shipped any new Wonka SE's and LE's since Jack came out and spoke about the playfield issues?

#2177 4 years ago

Routed Game of Thrones premium, chipping was present around most of the sling posts.

20191003_120452 (resized).jpg20191003_120452 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2869 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Wow, American seems to be the only manufacturer brave enough to post in this thread. Good for them! And Jersey Jack at least responded in a stream to the recent issues. Stern looking like either incompetents or scam artists right about now.

Stern's response continues to be...
download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

1 month later
#3281 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

Going to be a long time before I lose that bad taste in my mouth when I think of the jacked up JPPro Stern sent me. On the bright side, not a damn scratch on the Golden Tee 2020, and the online tournaments are sweet. Pinballs should do that too. Think I’ll pick up a Pump It Up next. Lots of temptations other than pinball loot crates ^_^[quoted image]

Nice! I've been contemplating buying a GoldenTee 2020 as well. Sounds like a fun addition to the game room.

#3286 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

As some of you know when I got my Jurassic Park from Stern the playfield had pooling. This is what it looks like now in the home environment.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I hope Stern offers a fully populated playfield replacement. That is not acceptable.

#3301 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

They won’t. They don’t care. Why would they help me out? I’ve only bought 19 NIB games from them in the last 10 years. I’m just a number like everyone else. Unless you are in the industry or know someone at Stern they are not going to go the extra mile. They are more worried about getting games on the line then fixing issues that go out the door.
I told my distributor I would not buy Elvira and now Stranger Things. I’m not going to buy a new game from them to repopulate another playfield. My time and money are too valuable.
When I do repopulate it, assuming I still get a playfield, I am going to stream it and put it up on YouTube and Facebook. At least it’s will help those effected.

I'm sorry to hear that. As a long time customer of that many new Stern purchases one would think they would be more then happy to take care of you with a fully populated playfield replacement. Very surprising and disappointing to hear that this is how Stern chooses to treat loyal customers.

As much as I would like to buy a Stranger Things LE pin a new GoldenTee for less then half the price with no headaches sounds more tempting.

#3303 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Here we go ....this happened on game #15
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow Thanks for sharing. It seems like Stern hasn't resolved the issue by having the playfield manufacturer correct the artwork / clear process but rather try to hide it by putting no artwork around posts in hope that no chipping occurs.

#3317 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Do you really think the weight of a game has any bearing on playfield issues

He never said that...He choose to buy a Hobbit partially because theres no risk of playfield issues.

#3319 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Check this guys recent post - is that playfield clear acceptable or are my eyes seeing this incorrectly?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/65#post-5364534

Yikes. That clear doesn't look good, not to mention the cabinet decal issues. Maybe it's just me but it seems like Stern is much more attentive to quality on their LE games then premium and especially pro games. A $6k - $8k game should warrant the same quality control as a $9k+ LE, SE, etc.

#3360 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Exactly. Playing the lottery and winning doesn’t change the fact that it’s rigged, or that everyone else isn’t so lucky. Not to mention playing it at all validates the business model.
One guy’s JP2 is without flaws (possibly for now). Great, but his Stranger Things pin - if he buys one - or whatever else comes next might not be, then it’ll be him staring down the barrel of trying to get Stern to make him whole, like everyone else who had already been shafted.
The only winning move is not to play.

The Stern playfield lottery is the main reason I'm hesitant to buy a Stranger Things. It does seem like premium and or LE Stern playfields are made better based on what I've been reading but that's just a guess.

#3389 4 years ago

If Stern, JJP, Spooky, whoever wants to charge $6k - $10k+ for pins then they need to deliver top quality. Strip down the games? That sucks but it's already happened in a lot of modern titles. At least have the decency to install quality built parts if you are going to charge $6k - $10k+ for a pin. Don't put subpar playfields into games that can't match the quality of playfields made 20+ YEARS AGO! There's no excuse. Same goes for crappy cabinets, poor decal installs, loose side rails (an odd JJP problem on a number of games), and installing cheap coil stops (Stern).

#3431 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All stern playfields are cut in house and inserts are added. They then send them out for art and clear. I was told they have multiple vendors that do the art and clear.

The multiple art and clear vendors may be why some Stern playfields are perfect and another has issues. This has now resulted in the playfield quality lottery, a game customers shouldn't have to play at these prices.

#3653 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I hope I'm wrong, but I think JJP is running out of gas....my bet is investors have thrown down the gauntlet and said either make money or were gonna sell off your assets...

I think that's the real reason Pirates production stopped. JJP is done making super loaded pins with multiple complex mechs. They likely want to start releasing two games a year that offer less mechanical features then their past games yet still retain the deep code work and quality they are known for all at a lower price (and increase in profit, especially with higher end models). Wonka is the start of that new direction for JJP.

#3665 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That's a good example of a lot of dimpling blending together.

The pic below is from a Batman 66 premium that was on location for probably 6 months. Something at Stern has changed with either the wood or clear coat process as the dimpling looks more severe (deeper dimpling) than that from games made 20 years ago.

2fa7c96940408e7c43657bca7a41b8535b91e0bf (resized).jpg2fa7c96940408e7c43657bca7a41b8535b91e0bf (resized).jpg

#3667 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Although I disagree with dimpling in general being an issue, I do see what you mean between between Williams and Stern. We already know Stern and JJP's clearcoat is inferior and/or applied incorrectly.

Yeah, dimpling is definitely normal. It just seems like a lot of modern playfields are dimpling deeper.

This is a long but informative post from Mike at CPR about the type of wood used at CPR and other manufacturers. This may be why modern Stern's are dimpling more severely than games made 20 years ago and those today at CPR.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-playfield-preorders-are-meaningless?tq=&tu=CPR

"Guys;

I have to jump in here as well, on four issues. The first was the Xenon PFs that we ran out of last year. The Xenon's I cut were in no way shape or form ever going to satisfy the entire interest but at the time I had the wood and inserts for a very limited number of PFs. I decided that rather than idle the CNC and layoff the guys it made more since to actually make the PFs I had materials for at the time. The rest of the material had been ordered but the lead times on our materials can be HUGE! It just made since to keep everyone employed and the machines working while new supplies were on route.

The second point I have to comment on is our wood. I absolutely believe that our wood is by FAR the best in the world. We have had many suppliers over the years and in bad times have been forced to use the same wood as the other PF manufacturer uses all the time and let me tell you that doing so is our last resort. Playfield wood over the decades has often been whatever was available to the manufacturers. Many PFs especially in the 70s and 80s PFs used three layers of thick cheap filler wood with two thin layers of maple on the faces, something you could buy at your local building supply only with thicker face veneers. For decades most of the better playfield wood came from North American Plywood near Chicago. It used sweet gum as its filler cores and .040" face veneers. But in 2008 in the downturn they liquidated their custom plywood mill and everyone was scrambling to find wood, even Stern. We then shifted to Marion Plywood from Wisconsin who made two very good orders for us before they shifted their glues to a more green product that warped like crazy. We even tried a Russian Baltic Birch that had custom maple veneers glued to it. It was expensive and unsuitable for several reasons. Finally, the current supplier for Stern contacted us and offered to make our wood. This was several years ago now and we couldn't have been happier as they work directly with us to produce the very best CUSTOM wood you can buy ANYWHERE! Their standard wood for Stern is a good one side panel with 3 layers of white ash and a 0.048" face veneers. After many consultations with their tech guys we came up with what I know is the best playfield wood in the world. We use the same basic setup as Stern, 3 layers of white ash cores then we use 4 layers of maritime hard maple BUT we increased the thickness of the two face veneers by 64% to get a nominal face thickness of 0.075". These huge and thick ONE piece veneers are crazy expensive and we always get this top grade veneer on BOTH sides of your PF. This alone added $12 to the cost of each panel vs just using a second grade veneer on the bottom like Stern does. There's nothing wrong with the way Stern does it, as they just refuse any board they want and since they are so close to the mill, the mill just picks it up with the next load and credits them. We however are a $4000 freight bill away so that won't work. We pay a lot extra to get the very best wood they can produce right off the start. You get a much nicer product and a much denser and tougher PF. This wood is 25% heavier for the same size panel as our old wood and nearly a third heavier as Baltic Birch which some other playfield manufacturers use. I would love to use cheaper wood like some others do, after all why would I pay $12.50/sqft landed when I can get birch at less than $2.00sqft? We use the best densest hardest custom wood we can get because we think its worth it and we always try to make the very best product we can.

There are other point is that we intentionally make three levels of quality. Wow, really? We always try to make perfect playfields, every single time but in the past we ALWAYS did full spot color silkscreens which meant that each and every color layer is individually vectored with trapping layers built and silk screened one color at a time, one on top of the other. 14 colors means 14 trips through the screen press. 14! Even the slightest misalignment in any single layer of the normal 12-14 color process means the final product isn't a gold anymore. Its wood, a living surface so if the ink doesn't lay down into every nook and cranny of every square mm of the grain then its not a gold. If a single piece of dust get in the screen and makes its way into the print which is very hard to prevent then its really not a gold anymore. To screen press a playfield we could never do more than about 1 color a day just due to the logistics of cleaning the ink you just used out of the screen trying to save what you can, then removing the screen and washing it with cleaner and paper towels, then once the ink is out, rinsing and then using a stripper to remove the image from the screen, then rinsing, then bleaching the screen to remove all traces of the previous image, rinsing, then drying the screen. Then you have to coat the screen with a photosensitive liquid and let that dry. Then you lay on your full size and expensive direct contact positive and expose the whole thing to a powerful UV light, then immediately wash the screen once more to expose the image which means a third drying of the screen! Then mount it and align it precisely to the previous image on the screen press, which always involves a few trial and error hits on test prints. Add in a cleaned and sharpened squeegee and print your single color...... now repeat this process for each and every color on the playfield. Any misalignment at all, even as small as 1/64"in ANY layer and you may not have a gold, any mark from handing and small dropout of ink, and deep grain that the ink didn't get to and you may not have a gold anymore. Screen printing is many many times harder to do than printing it digitally. Producing artwork for screen printing is horrendously more difficult than prepping something for a digital print. We are very lucky that we have years worth of vectored artwork that can fairly easily be converted for digital use to be used on our big flatbed but you can't go the other way. If you printed 100 PFs and have 10 that are not perfect you had no choice but to sell them, hence silvers and bronze. It could take you as long as 2 weeks to reprint those 10 PFs. Now if you are doing these on a digital printer you have eliminated ANY chance of a misalignment because its a single flat image not 12-14 images laid on top of one another, the printer is spraying, so surface imperfections are easily covered and there is no screen to get contaminated. So for screen printing, since the artwork is many times more complex in comparison and the printing method is many times more complex its no wonder that we didn't always get 100% gold. Of course if you have something go sideways on a digital print it takes but minutes to sand the ink off and clean it up and run it through the printer once again, $8 in inks costs versus basically spending two weeks trying to rescreen a few seconds. But now that we have the same tech as others we can also fairly easily reprint an error so there will be much fewer silver and bronzes in our future.

Making the right number of PFs for everyone is more art than anything else. Playfields are crazy expensive to make and the production costs are all up front. In some cases royalties and licensing alone can cost as high as 25% of the full retail value of the PF, do some quick math and figure out the size of the check you'd have to write to cover that on 100 pfs!! Inserts can cost $25-$100 per PF due to minimum requirements of the molders. You can figure out our wood costs from above. Add in the costs of 2 CNCs, 2 laser cutters, a silk screen operation, a huge UV flatbed etc.... now figure that 50% of the guys who signed up don't buy!! In the case of Corvette PFs we had 75% of people who signed up didn't purchase as they promised! Have two or three of these happen in a row and anyone would become gun shy real quick or we risk losing our homes! I tried deposits when I first started this and it was a nightmare, lately we have on rare occasions used them again with much more success so maybe that's a possibility but truthfully making smaller numbers is the safest thing to do. Using the digital system instead of silk screening makes much more sense and having the ability to digitally reprint our screen printed seconds may get rid of them almost entirely.

Making PFs is complex, silk screening playfields is stoopid complex and expensive in the very small numbers we make but we do it because we love it.

Mike"

#3801 4 years ago

Are the rumors out of CES 2020 true about this revolutionary anti dimple pinball?!

57989187-metal-golf-ball-isolated-over-white-background-with-reflection-and-shadow-3d-rendering- (resized).jpg57989187-metal-golf-ball-isolated-over-white-background-with-reflection-and-shadow-3d-rendering- (resized).jpg

#3856 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Much more than HUO no doubt, but Ghostbusters is an absolute mess compared to it.[quoted image]

That looks like a fine Stern Prime playfield, lots of marbling!

playfield_steak (resized).jpgplayfield_steak (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3903 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Dang, still issues?
Pinball is so weird!
It seems like the last 6 new games were released with incomplete code & unresolved PF/QC issues.
Damn. I visit here less & less lately too. Not because of y'all but because it's hard to get excited about shitty service & flawed products.
I dont need trouble & lately pinball is trouble. I'm a married man. If I want trouble I will go ask my wife "what's the matter".

Yup, but we may be in another steady state again lol. I took your advice from a while back and just bought a GoldenTee 2020 to put in my last pin spot. No dimpling, and no weird QC issues. Just finished setting it up tonight and having a blast so far.

20200115_211217 (resized).jpg20200115_211217 (resized).jpg

#3906 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Very cool! How much if you dont mine me asking?

The one I bought is an open box one used for a weekend at a show, paid $3200 delivered. Lowest prices I found for a new 2020 are $3600 - $3800 delivered. A 2019 and 2020 are the same hardware wise, just need to make sure the 2019 comes with the 2020 upgrade (it should).

The software upgrades are a bit pricey. They are $400 each year (usually come with 5 - 7 new courses) but you don't have to upgrade every year. I think with 2020 there's now 80 - 90 courses on the game so lots to do. There's also online player profiles that keep track of your stats, can view stats on a mobile app, online tournaments, and other online events. You use the keypad on the game to enter a pin to log into your player profile. Up to 4 players can play and enter their own player profile if they want. It's pretty cool overall. Just played a quick 18 holes, now time for work.

#3908 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That is cool. That is the TV and everything for that price right? Is that a wall mount? Also what size screen?

Those are prices just for a new cabinet. The official GoldenTee TV stand (bolts to cabinet) is around $400 but a cheap wall mount or TV stand works fine. I bought a wall mount on Amazon for $20 and picked up a 55" TCL 5 series TV at Best Buy for $280.

#3918 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

I can see the dimples on your GB in that pic.

Lol. I'll admit that out of all my current games I bought NIB Ghostbusters Premium has had the least number of problems, really none. All 4 of my JJP games have had some issue that needed a fix, most due to poor quality control. Pirates surprisingly had the least issues, including no playfield issues thankfully. I just need a break from the NIB headaches.

#3938 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Im actually surprised that there was never a Golden Tee pin.

Yeah. After playing it a bunch of GT these past 2 days I can see why a lot of pinball fans like it. While GT is basically a computer game it still has a physical element to it like pinball. The computer part allows online play to be standardized so that every game plays the same and can't really be cheated.

I would love to see the stat tracking, online, and player profile features of GT come to pinball. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't at this point. I can see Stern being the first to implement something like this. Preventing cheating will be a concern though.

Sorry for all the GT posts, hopefully it's a sign that playfield issues are resolved on current builds!

#3941 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

The cheating is the main problem and of course, all games play differently and people tweak their machines. It would never be apples to apples unfortunately.

Yeah. I wonder if Stern and or JJP could implement an online mode for games that only works if the game itself recognizes the correct pitch (within a certain degree), and that the glass is on. The glass part could be pulled off by some type of marker on the glass and or the lockdown bar / glass channel at the top of the game both detecting that the glass is there.

1 week later
#4460 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Harry, I would agree that with a good hard plywood base, the dimpling is shallower and those shallow dents will blend, but Stern’s moon crater playfields of late would take tens of thousands of plays to even out. I saw a Deadpool pf looking like you could grate cheese with it after only 3 days of what you would call heavy routed play. 3 days?!? Yes 3 days. And I would have been hard pressed to find a crater that was less than a 1/4” wide. There are dimples (like on my Stern Family Guy) after heavy routed play of three days (it was used at 2008 Chicago Expo flip out tourney) and then went into HUO. The dimples have continued but dimples... and not a lot of them, most of the big ones are from target bank resets lauching the ball into the glass and slamming back onto the playfield.
The latest Stern offerings between 2018-2019 have had issues with craters, be it low play HUO, or routed heavy use, and its been inconsistant. Some have them some dont. I think the wood is the culprit on cratering, that and the still liquid CC that acts like a fluid or non-Newtonian liquid. Why smeone hasnt engineered a non organic pf replacement is pretty easy to understand. Wood works. It used to work real well, even without a CC. It dont work like it used to, so it dont take an Einstein to figure out the QUALITY of the wood has gotten worse. A lot worse in my opinion. My CGC MBrLE has dimples that range to almost craters, and they are making the playfields like the old days, before CC and Diamond Plate and using the best wood they can source. You think Stern is sourcing the best wood or cheapest? My money is on cheap.

Check out this post from Mike at CPR where he discussed the quality of wood CPR uses, and where they get it from. CPR's source is the same as Stern's but CPR pays extra for the best wood they can buy and also adds more layers. It's a shame to say the least that Stern refuses to match CPR's specs considering the all time record prices they are charging, not to mention they just raised prices again with Stranger Things. At the very least premium and LE playfields should be made at the higher spec. Based on Mikes post it would cost Stern around $50 more per game to match CPR's specs. Stern can't match that quality for another $50 per game yet they can raise prices year after year? It's BS.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-playfield-preorders-are-meaningless?tq=&tu=CPR

#4510 4 years ago

Some comments from Joe Kaminkow on recent playfield quality when asked about it on the Super Awesome Pinball show.

https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/12947717

"...the clear coat is not glass, it's paint, it's a ball, it's a piece of wood, it will roll, big deal"

"It's a pinball, they wear out, they're mechanical things"

Super Awesome Pinball Show "You haven't noticed a change from before to now in playfield quality"?

"I'm sure from batch to batch the poplar wood changes from what tree was cut down or what the amount of moisture was in the air or the amount of time the hard coat did or how somebody mixed the hard coat with not enough of something, too much of something else but you know it's a pinball machine"

"To quote Gary we are not making heart and lung machines, we are making pinball machines"

"We used to make games where the hard coat would wear out within 90 days"

"For those at home in their underwear and in their wife beaters and drinking PBR and bitch in the words of William Shatner get a life"

#4572 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Just wanted to chime in. I got my Wonka game over the weekend, build date of late October. No issues.
It was interesting to see a page JJP gives with machines saying how dimpling, ghosting and craze lines and other things of the play field are normal (no mention of pooling).

This is just a guess but it seems like JJP addressed clear coat issues with their playfield manufacturer while Stern only stopped including artwork directly around posts but didn't actually address the root cause of the clear issues.

1 week later
#4734 4 years ago

I heard Stern is pretty upset about this Haggis pinball vs Sledgehammer video. This leaked video show's Gary's initial comment and reaction as he then proceeds to punch a Stern playfield! Needless to say it didn't hold up well but some Stern Army members are saying that no playfield is a match for a punch from Gary.

#4743 4 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Dimpling on a Stranger Things pro at Stern headquarters:
[quoted image]

The new official UV dimple lighting kit makes the dimples disappear!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#4773 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Did stern really just have another price increase this week on all models? Rofl. God I am so glad I went back to playing retro video games.

Another one on top of the price increase when Stranger Things came out?! I don't know what to say.

#4784 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It will be interesting to see if JJP has a price jump with there next game

I doubt it. I think having an SE model at $7500 is leading to a lot of Wonka sales for JJP. The other day I played a Wonka SE and JP Premium again on location. Those two games are pretty much the same price and while I enjoyed both games it was easy for me to tell that Wonka SE offered more value then JP Premium. With a $7500 SE model JJP is more competitive against Stern versus if they only offered $8500+ models.

#4791 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

My local arcade's Elvira looks like it was shot with buckshot so I don't think less clear leads to less dimpling.

Remember that according to Joe K. we shouldn't be complaining. Now send in your $18k for Back to the Future Signature Edition that comes with a piece of seat foam from the Delorean trashed at the end of BTTF 3.

https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/12947717

"...the clear coat is not glass, it's paint, it's a ball, it's a piece of wood, it will roll, big deal"

"It's a pinball, they wear out, they're mechanical things"

Super Awesome Pinball Show "You haven't noticed a change from before to now in playfield quality"?

"I'm sure from batch to batch the poplar wood changes from what tree was cut down or what the amount of moisture was in the air or the amount of time the hard coat did or how somebody mixed the hard coat with not enough of something, too much of something else but you know it's a pinball machine"

"To quote Gary we are not making heart and lung machines, we are making pinball machines"

"We used to make games where the hard coat would wear out within 90 days"

"For those at home in their underwear and in their wife beaters and drinking PBR and bitch in the words of William Shatner get a life"

#4833 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

They don’t. I don’t. But I want value, and as fun as some Stern games are, Im not seeing it. I also want accountability. Stern raises prices, lowers standards, and keep doing it “because they can”. And only reacts when the market gets real strident. Well, I want more from a company that gets my money.
Their behavior is unbecoming. It’s disappointing. I want Stern to succeed, making awesome pinballs that I want to buy and that I’m willing to buy. But with an occasional exception they don’t, and I consider it a big let down.
BTW, I just dropped 8 grand + on MMr, and I couldn’t be happier about that. The quality is outstanding and the code is complete. And it’s fuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnn.
I couldn’t see dropping that much bread for a Stern made game. Not these days.

Well said. I think the value conversation is where a majority of the frustration directed at Stern has come from over the past couple of years and its now come to a head with yet another price increase and the Stranger Things UV kit. It's not a question about whether or not the latest Stern games are fun, they are, but rather are they worth the money? With each price increase, and release with less features then the last more people are not seeing games worth $6k - $9k+.

#4906 4 years ago

We are still seeing new reports of upper post chipping on Jurassic Park games even with the blank area around posts. Chipping around sling posts seems eliminated but I'm not sure why it's still an issue at this post right below the upper right flipper. Is this area chipping because the ball hits the post so often causing movement?

This makes me wonder if Stern changed anything with their playfield clear process or only made the no artwork change around posts? If it is the latter then the root cause of chipping may not have been addressed. Then again we've heard reports that Stern uses multiple companies to make playfields so maybe that's why their playfield QC is so hit or miss.

d9579e2209937889c6dc8ddba78ff005bc0e56f1 (resized).jpgd9579e2209937889c6dc8ddba78ff005bc0e56f1 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#4946 4 years ago

For the first time in pinball history scientists have examined a modern Stern playfield with a microscope. The images were then spliced together to produce this incredible 4K video.

#4957 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Panzer will never mention anything bad about JJP because he is their biggest fanboy. JJP games dimple too, their clearcoat also chips and pools around the posts just like Sterns games. JJP is no better at all, even with their outrageous prices and how they boast about being the highest quality games made. Its simply not true and Jack wont stand behind his product either.

Except I have mentioned flaws and quality issues on JJP games multiple times including making a thread questioning if JJP quality had gone down.

Also, yes I do think JJP makes higher quality products then Stern that also offers more value. If I'm a fanboy for saying that so be it.

#4961 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well the only company that you seem to single out is Stern. I think anyone here would agree with me on that.

I've never created a thread questioning Sterns quality but have with JJP as seen below. I had made the thread below prior to these playfield issues being reported. After getting a WOZ ECLE I had hoped that the level of quality would remain the same. Hobbit had that same level of quality but I think it has gone down a notch since then.

I think Stern makes great games but do question their prices considering what you get in return. I just don't see the value there with a majority of Sterns. Stern is charging close or at JJP prices but isn't offering the same value in terms of features and parts build quality in my opinion. The last Stern that I think was truly loaded up with multiple interactive toys and 3D molds was Ghostbusters Premium which I happily purchased NIB. All of their games are fun and if money was no object I would buy them all.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-jjp-quality-control-inconsistent-

#4980 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

Thanks, that helps. I’m thinking of getting a Wonka SE but unsure what build date to look for other than “last week” lol. Maybe just wait a tad longer and roll the dice for a 2020 build.

October 2019 is when I think the playfield issues were corrected.

#5000 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Stern games not JJP. All Stern did was bandaid the problem by taking the artwork out from under the posts. Put that artwork back under there and the problem would still exist.

That's my concern as well. It seems like Stern didn't change anything with their playfield clear process but instead simply removed artwork around playfield posts to prevent chipping. We are still seeing Stern playfields dimple more severely than ever before, hence the mini moon crater comments.

If other smaller companies can produce better quality playfields then there's no excuse for Stern not to match or exceed that quality. Stern should want to do that if they claim to take pride in the products they build. Why wouldn't Stern want to put out a better quality playfield after numerous price increases and other cost cutting moves?

Overall it's hard to want to buy a $6k-$9k+ product from a company that is basically taking a "We don't give a crap about quality" stance. Every other pinball company out there but Stern seems to care more about product quality.

2 months later
#5112 3 years ago

I find it crazy that you only get the "better" Stern playfield if you buy a premium or LE. For nearly $6k you get a playfield with less clear? That just doesn't seem right considering the all time record prices.

#5117 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It may not be exactly the "same" on all of them I get that. All I am saying is Stern is not saying that if you buy a premium or an LE that you will get a playfield with more clear coat on it. Of course different playfields could possibly have different amounts of clear on them. It would be impossible for humans to spray the exact same amount of clear on every playfield.

Part of the confusion is that Stern is never clear, or admits to, any quality control issues. As a result customers are left guessing about whether this issue or that issue is resolved or not. In the end customers end up playing the quality control lottery. When I called Stern up a few years ago before buying a NIB GB Premium to ask them about the cabinet cracking issue at the time I was rather abruptly told "there are no cabinet issues, some simply didn't get enough glue".

The same thing applies to JJP who has had issues with every single title they have released. Some early WOZ's had playfield and light board issues, early Hobbit builds required fix kits (at least no playfield issues), early build Dialed In's had chipping at the sim card and cell phone toy scoop, a majority of Pirates had playfield issues, and finally early build Wonka SE and LE's had playfield issues. I'm just tired of this crap, especially at these prices. For $6k - $12k+ the last thing customers should have to worry about are playfield issues. I'm looking forward to GNR from JJP but won't be any early adopter due to past issues with early build games.

#5180 3 years ago
Quoted from Renegade:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That playfield looks really good after 4k+ plays, better then some we've seen with 400 plays. This looks like a playfield made with no art around posts. After that change was made did Stern also start making playfields with slightly less clear coat applied? It seems like there are some reports that less clear is better in some cases.

#5184 3 years ago

412uc9 (resized).jpg412uc9 (resized).jpg

#5196 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Guess it is time for me to eat some crow. I've been a long time supporter of Stern and their games. Local's call me a Stern snob as that is basically all I buy now with the exception of an EM here or there. I've bought 8 NIB (9 with the one I've paid for but haven't received since Jan) and I think I've finally hit my limit as well. My DeadPool has been a nightmare from the start. I've had to replace so much stuff on my 240 games played machine it's ridiculous. Most recent was the CPU. I have 3 spots on my game that were defective that have worn to the wood in one spot already and the other two have worn past the clear and started to get to the art already. My distributor (who's been great) has helped every step of the way but the replacement PF I just got.... I just can't spend the time to put it in as I planned. I've never seen a brand new PF where all of the inserts are ABOVE the rest of the PF. That's frustrating enough minus the grain making it look like the clear was brushed on with a 99 cent Wal-Mart paint brush. I just can't support them anymore which is hard for me to say since there are games I still want to buy
Couple of pics with my crappy camera phone. You don't need the light to see the issues in person but to get my phone to focus I had to get some glare on them. Any ambient light (like the GI of a pinball machine) brings these issue out very clearly. I know there are worst things but this feels silly to me for a brand new PF. I can't help but think that after a couple thousand games those inserts will start to look like the fish of an old bad Fishtales PF.
First picture - shows the grain and clear issues. Also shows the insert which looks like the clear just settled. If that was the issue I could live with it (not be happy but live with it), but it's actually above the PF.
Second picture - Looking at DeadPool's eyes, hopefully this shows how all the inserts look in the game and how they are raised.
This PF was stamped as December 19 and also has a CV stamp on it. Guessing the CV is whom either QCed it or made it.[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm sorry to hear you have had all those issues with your game. I'm waiting for someone to chime in and say "well I've never had any issues". That's the problem with the Stern quality lottery, some are lucky and others are not as your experience shows.

At today's NIB prices no one should have to play the playfield, parts, and build quality lottery. There's no excuse other then greed for any manufacturer to not make their products at the same level of quality or higher then those made years ago.

#5199 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I have a Elvira premium, stranger things premium and Jurassic park premium. All of them have been rock solid. No issues.

tenor (2).giftenor (2).gif

#5208 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What about the JJP quality lottery? You always fail to mention them for some reason.

JJP pins have had plenty of problems over the years and I've mentioned that in multiple threads. I still think JJP bulid quality and value for what you get (features, code, etc) is significantly higher then what Stern offers. In my opinion Stern is charging JJP prices for games that more often then not have less features, less code, less 3D molded parts, and overall lower build quality.

As for JJP problems they have had quality issues with every single title. I wouldn't buy a new JJP or a new Stern until a game has been out for at least 6 months to avoid the early adopter headaches.

#5210 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Im not rich but was looking to add a DP to my MetLE. Im not taking a risk that (A) the PF is a cluster and (B) it wont take an act if god to get Stern to make it right. Secondary market, or possiby AP Hotwheels.

One great thing about buying used is you can see the game first versus playing the NIB quality lottery. It's sad but a nice HUO game can have less issues then a NIB one.

#5212 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

If we are just talking about playfield issues,which is the main point.JJP fixed their playfield issues with the Wonka second run in October of 2019.

Does it seem like Stern just removed artwork around posts but didn't address the actual root cause of the issue? I haven't heard of any JJP playfield problems from Oct to now but Stern playfield issues seem to keep popping up on newer builds.

#5220 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

JJP isn’t immune to playfield problems either.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah we know, we were talking about how JJP fixed their playfield issues from October and going forward. Stern clearly (no pun intended) hasn't had consistent playfield quality since switching to the no artwork around posts "fix".

2 weeks later
#5299 3 years ago

I was about to go all in on a stern tmnt, then was reminded its basically a gamble. Hell I just canceled a cgc mmre order because there’s been issues that multiple people have shown with them. I get there’s always issues, but these “toys” are big money and manufacturers lack responsibility, but people are still willing to lose out. This will change when the economy keeps getting beat.

The quality control lottery sucks and none of should have to play it at these prices. Every time we buy a new game we are rolling the dice with whether or not the game will be without major issues. Personally I think it's best to wait 6 months for any NIB purchase, and let the early buyers unfortunately deal with the issues. At the same time it sucks that quality issues have also occurred on reruns of games, such as the few playfield quality issues we've seen pop up on new $10k MMRE games. Hell, someone in this very thread was saying how they didn't have any playfield issues with their Stern games and now is encountering one with an MMRE.

#5300 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

So Ive tried to skim this thread to see where these playfield issues are at but I'm hoping someone can catch me up.
Did removing art from around the posts on JP solve the issues people were having? or are those playfields still having problems as well? I notice that TMNT is missing the art there so Im hoping that's a positive sign...
Thanks.

There's speculation that Stern actually fixed the root cause of the problem with an adjustment to the clear / art adhesion process in addition to removing artwork around posts. However, others have said that Stern hasn't changed anything with the clear / art adhesion process and simply removed artwork around playfield posts. When it comes to quality issues Stern has never really been transparent so buyers are left wondering whether or not issues have truly been fixed.

I'll say this about JJP's playfield issues from last year. There were multiple reports of Pirates, and Wonka games with clear pooling and chipping issues. Those issues were resolved around October of 2019 and we haven't heard of newer build games with the same issue since then. JJP did not remove artwork around the posts on the newer playfields so I can only guess that the root cause of clear pooling / chipping was addressed. Did Stern do the same or just apply band-aid? Who knows.

2 weeks later
#5372 3 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I would be thrilled to have just dimples. I have noticeable wood grain on majority of my playfield on top of some chipping and bubbling.
[quoted image]

Wow, that is just unacceptable considering these prices. We now know that Stern gets their playfield wood from the same supplier as CPR but that CPR spends another $50 or so per playfield to make a higher quality product. Why can’t Stern offer the same quality as CPR after numerous price increases and all time record NIB prices? Greed.

I’ve shared this before but here’s the post of CPR talking about the wood they use for anyone that hasn’t seen it.

"Guys;
I have to jump in here as well, on four issues. The first was the Xenon PFs that we ran out of last year. The Xenon's I cut were in no way shape or form ever going to satisfy the entire interest but at the time I had the wood and inserts for a very limited number of PFs. I decided that rather than idle the CNC and layoff the guys it made more since to actually make the PFs I had materials for at the time. The rest of the material had been ordered but the lead times on our materials can be HUGE! It just made since to keep everyone employed and the machines working while new supplies were on route.
The second point I have to comment on is our wood. I absolutely believe that our wood is by FAR the best in the world. We have had many suppliers over the years and in bad times have been forced to use the same wood as the other PF manufacturer uses all the time and let me tell you that doing so is our last resort. Playfield wood over the decades has often been whatever was available to the manufacturers. Many PFs especially in the 70s and 80s PFs used three layers of thick cheap filler wood with two thin layers of maple on the faces, something you could buy at your local building supply only with thicker face veneers. For decades most of the better playfield wood came from North American Plywood near Chicago. It used sweet gum as its filler cores and .040" face veneers. But in 2008 in the downturn they liquidated their custom plywood mill and everyone was scrambling to find wood, even Stern. We then shifted to Marion Plywood from Wisconsin who made two very good orders for us before they shifted their glues to a more green product that warped like crazy. We even tried a Russian Baltic Birch that had custom maple veneers glued to it. It was expensive and unsuitable for several reasons. Finally, the current supplier for Stern contacted us and offered to make our wood. This was several years ago now and we couldn't have been happier as they work directly with us to produce the very best CUSTOM wood you can buy ANYWHERE! Their standard wood for Stern is a good one side panel with 3 layers of white ash and a 0.048" face veneers. After many consultations with their tech guys we came up with what I know is the best playfield wood in the world. We use the same basic setup as Stern, 3 layers of white ash cores then we use 4 layers of maritime hard maple BUT we increased the thickness of the two face veneers by 64% to get a nominal face thickness of 0.075". These huge and thick ONE piece veneers are crazy expensive and we always get this top grade veneer on BOTH sides of your PF. This alone added $12 to the cost of each panel vs just using a second grade veneer on the bottom like Stern does. There's nothing wrong with the way Stern does it, as they just refuse any board they want and since they are so close to the mill, the mill just picks it up with the next load and credits them. We however are a $4000 freight bill away so that won't work. We pay a lot extra to get the very best wood they can produce right off the start. You get a much nicer product and a much denser and tougher PF. This wood is 25% heavier for the same size panel as our old wood and nearly a third heavier as Baltic Birch which some other playfield manufacturers use. I would love to use cheaper wood like some others do, after all why would I pay $12.50/sqft landed when I can get birch at less than $2.00sqft? We use the best densest hardest custom wood we can get because we think its worth it and we always try to make the very best product we can.
There are other point is that we intentionally make three levels of quality. Wow, really? We always try to make perfect playfields, every single time but in the past we ALWAYS did full spot color silkscreens which meant that each and every color layer is individually vectored with trapping layers built and silk screened one color at a time, one on top of the other. 14 colors means 14 trips through the screen press. 14! Even the slightest misalignment in any single layer of the normal 12-14 color process means the final product isn't a gold anymore. Its wood, a living surface so if the ink doesn't lay down into every nook and cranny of every square mm of the grain then its not a gold. If a single piece of dust get in the screen and makes its way into the print which is very hard to prevent then its really not a gold anymore. To screen press a playfield we could never do more than about 1 color a day just due to the logistics of cleaning the ink you just used out of the screen trying to save what you can, then removing the screen and washing it with cleaner and paper towels, then once the ink is out, rinsing and then using a stripper to remove the image from the screen, then rinsing, then bleaching the screen to remove all traces of the previous image, rinsing, then drying the screen. Then you have to coat the screen with a photosensitive liquid and let that dry. Then you lay on your full size and expensive direct contact positive and expose the whole thing to a powerful UV light, then immediately wash the screen once more to expose the image which means a third drying of the screen! Then mount it and align it precisely to the previous image on the screen press, which always involves a few trial and error hits on test prints. Add in a cleaned and sharpened squeegee and print your single color...... now repeat this process for each and every color on the playfield. Any misalignment at all, even as small as 1/64"in ANY layer and you may not have a gold, any mark from handing and small dropout of ink, and deep grain that the ink didn't get to and you may not have a gold anymore. Screen printing is many many times harder to do than printing it digitally. Producing artwork for screen printing is horrendously more difficult than prepping something for a digital print. We are very lucky that we have years worth of vectored artwork that can fairly easily be converted for digital use to be used on our big flatbed but you can't go the other way. If you printed 100 PFs and have 10 that are not perfect you had no choice but to sell them, hence silvers and bronze. It could take you as long as 2 weeks to reprint those 10 PFs. Now if you are doing these on a digital printer you have eliminated ANY chance of a misalignment because its a single flat image not 12-14 images laid on top of one another, the printer is spraying, so surface imperfections are easily covered and there is no screen to get contaminated. So for screen printing, since the artwork is many times more complex in comparison and the printing method is many times more complex its no wonder that we didn't always get 100% gold. Of course if you have something go sideways on a digital print it takes but minutes to sand the ink off and clean it up and run it through the printer once again, $8 in inks costs versus basically spending two weeks trying to rescreen a few seconds. But now that we have the same tech as others we can also fairly easily reprint an error so there will be much fewer silver and bronzes in our future.
Making the right number of PFs for everyone is more art than anything else. Playfields are crazy expensive to make and the production costs are all up front. In some cases royalties and licensing alone can cost as high as 25% of the full retail value of the PF, do some quick math and figure out the size of the check you'd have to write to cover that on 100 pfs!! Inserts can cost $25-$100 per PF due to minimum requirements of the molders. You can figure out our wood costs from above. Add in the costs of 2 CNCs, 2 laser cutters, a silk screen operation, a huge UV flatbed etc.... now figure that 50% of the guys who signed up don't buy!! In the case of Corvette PFs we had 75% of people who signed up didn't purchase as they promised! Have two or three of these happen in a row and anyone would become gun shy real quick or we risk losing our homes! I tried deposits when I first started this and it was a nightmare, lately we have on rare occasions used them again with much more success so maybe that's a possibility but truthfully making smaller numbers is the safest thing to do. Using the digital system instead of silk screening makes much more sense and having the ability to digitally reprint our screen printed seconds may get rid of them almost entirely.
Making PFs is complex, silk screening playfields is stoopid complex and expensive in the very small numbers we make but we do it because we love it.
Mike"

1 week later
#5559 3 years ago

I picked up an HUO Family Guy a couple weeks and was looking at it the other night thinking "what the hell happened Stern". The game probably weighs 50lbs more then my Ghostbusters premium thanks to the all wood head and more parts. The game has a decent number of plays but the playfield looks better then my Ghostbusters which has around 300 plays. Even the direct print cabinet looks better then the cheap looking decals on today's games. Today Stern is charging over double the price for games then those made a decade ago, with less parts and overall lower quality...

#5690 3 years ago

Cost and quality cuts by Stern have finally boiled over with fans as reflected by YouTube, Facebook, and Pinside comments. For these all time record prices quality and cost cuts should not be occurring. Customers just want to feel like they are buying a high quality product when dropping $6k - $10k on a pinball machine of all things. I noticed the quality part in Stern's latest motto has been dropped...

Old motto

"Stern Pinball, Inc., the world’s oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines"

New motto

"A global lifestyle brand based on the iconic and outrageously fun modern American game of pinball"

#5706 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Just got this NIB. Will this be a problem in the future??
[quoted image]

It could be a problem in the future and result in the cabinet separating and or a tear in one of the decals. How long have you had the game? Have you called Stern yet to see what they will do? I heard of some people getting replacement cabinets due to cabinet separation but that was a few years back.

If Stern refuses to do anything you could likely inject wood glue into the area using something like below (may need an actual needle to get in the area) and then use a clutch bar clamp like below to hold it in place while it dries. If multiple front cabinet corners are affected I would attempt the repair all at once versus doing one corner at a time. Also, put something between the clamp and cabinet to held spread out the pressure from the clamp to prevent it from digging into your cabinet / decals. Overall I think that would help mitigate any issues in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/Dispense-All-Industrial-Syringe-Syringes/dp/B07HPBG71M/ref=pd_sbs_328_5/134-0396232-3823916

https://www.amazon.com/Bessey-GSCC2-536-2-5-Inch-36-Inch-Economy/dp/B000FA0BMW/ref=sr_1_2

#5738 3 years ago

All of the these playfield problems and customer frustrations from them could be solved if Stern spent another $25 per playfield as CPR already does. All time record high prices with yearly price increases and quality is going down. There's no excuse other then greed at this point.

#5793 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL JJP chipping did not start with Wonka so no the fix was not as quick as you think

Yes but JJP actually fixed the issue instead of just removing artwork around playfield posts. JJP fixed the issue back in October of 2019, that's 9 months ago...like you said above time to get over it!

1 week later
#5850 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Should flatten out!
[quoted image]

That looks like a fine marbling, Stern Prime.

4b0a7b9c99bb24c3c5e12c07ee2a465d62b3da47 (resized).jpg4b0a7b9c99bb24c3c5e12c07ee2a465d62b3da47 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#5920 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Just wanted to make a comment on Hot Wheels. It is my first American Pinball game. I looked over it and no pooling anywhere. It's been played for a few weeks and minor dimples, not even close to what my modern Sterns looked like after the same amount of gameplay. I would buy with confidence in regard to playfield. Plus the cabinets are built like a tank. I will update if things change. But for now, very impressed.

That's great to hear about your AP game. Stern could make a comparable product but has sadly chosen profit over passion and pride. Stern prices have gone through the roof over the past decade while quality has gone down in numerous areas...there's no excuse other then greed at this point. Some Stern loyalists will say "blame JJP for Stern raising prices" but that's a B.S argument considering Stern has never matched their build, feature, and code quality.

#5932 3 years ago

All too true. I freaking love stern games, but not the quality.

Yeah, I'm with ya. I think Stern games are fun and it's a shame to see all of the designers and programmers hard work that goes into them diminished by regular quality issues. I wonder if Stern designers and programmers have complained to management about the companies quality issues at this point.

#6041 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It really is baffling to me that they invest so much money in their design team and their coders and whatever other areas that makes these games so good but they could give a f*ck less about the quality of their product. I mean seriously Stern wtf is up with that?

1 week later
#6167 3 years ago

We shouldn't be questioning Stern playfield print quality, this thread has been deemed toxic in at least one of the Stern owners only threads. It's much better to act like these issues don't exist, and hope you are a winner of the "Stern Quality Lottery" when dropping $6k-$9k+ on one of their games.

1 week later
#6263 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Pinball is not for you walk away
[quoted image]

"Your promotion to admiral of the 4th division of the Stern Army has been approved" Lol just joking

1 week later
#6338 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

A $200 upgrade gives stern a cop out for shitty playfield quality on their regular models. This hobby is already expensive enough to have games with justifiably shitty playfields for thousands of dollars. Make no mistake about it, the “regular” playfield would be of significantly lower quality of what you get today. It’s not about cheap wood, sorry it’s not, don’t see how it would be for clear coat issues. New sterns don’t dimple more than CGC or JJP games... at least not that I have noticed. The clear coat issues are obviously a process error from not letting the playfields cure especially games manufactured in the summer.

Quoted from snaroff:

I have no proof, but believe this to be the root cause (based on conversations with smart people that know the biz).
Stern knows how much they pay for their PF plywood and what thickness/density they are paying for. They know precisely if/when the material changed...I don't.
As I've said in previous posts, the wood in my LOTR/ACDC/MET is far superior to the wood in all my recent Sterns since 2015 (starting roughly with KISS).

This is a long but informative post from Mike at CPR about the type of wood used at CPR and other manufacturers. This may be why modern Stern's are dimpling more severely and having more quality issues (chipping) than games made 20 years ago.

Just think about it. Stern has raised prices for years, quality has gone down, and yet for around $50 (or less) per game they could make a playfield at CPR's level of quality. It's disappointing and is complete BS considering today's prices.

"Guys;

2 weeks later
#6459 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The fact that people are refering to the issue as a blemish answers this question "What would be a reasonable expectation for addressing these issues?"

Do you think there's nothing wrong with the AFM above? Is that acceptable quality on a new $6k - $8k pin?

1 month later
#6580 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I usually don't look at the playfield to closely until, I got a Beatles that looked like that. Also had some art coming up near the apron along with other minor defects. Stern said the woodgrain showing through the art is normal, but I was able to get a swap due to the apron art luckily. Haven't seen that woodgrain stuff before or after that. The new playfield looked great with zero defects. Seemed like this woodgrain issue was isolated to playfields from late 2018 to early 2019.
Anyone have an idea of what would cause that? moisture, or the wood not being sanded well enough?

It could be any of those things. Stern uses multiple vendors for playfields which in my opinion increases the risk of quality issues and is why we see one customer receive a game with a perfect playfield while another has issues. There's also been speculation that playfields made in the summer can have more issues due to high humidity levels in factories that lack AC.

#6708 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Here's a better angle, I rotated it and zoomed in, you can see the post digging in and the clear pooling in front of the chip
[quoted image]

Wow So we heard at Virtual Pinball Expo that Micro is now creating more durable playfields that they call "Spectrum Playfields" or something. One would think that the GNR's going out now have playfields created using the updated process. As far we know the GNR playfields going into early games could have been made weeks or even months ago and don't contain the Spectrum Micro playfields. JJP and Micro did seem to fix the pooling / chipping issue around a year ago so its odd to see it popping up again. Hopefully this is just a one off and not a pattern.

It's issue like these why I'm done being an early adopter for a pinball machine from any company. The headaches are not worth having one of the first games considering the price of these things. My new rule is wait 6 months then buy.

#6769 3 years ago

Good job. Look forward to it. My JP premium built June 2020 has pooling. Might chip soon in two spots. No word from Stern.

Pinball Expo 2021 playfield quality shirts are ready to go.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG
Capture1 (resized).JPGCapture1 (resized).JPG

#6863 3 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Here are pictures from the GNR on location at Helicon Brewing in Pittsburgh.
There is pooling/bubbling evident on at least half a dozen of the posts (see pics), but I didn't see any chipping yet.
Please note that this particular machine was one of the first to go on location immediately after launch & has been played A LOT.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Terrible, absolutely terrible. Sure this could be a one off but we are now seeing this issue in several GNR pins. Micro just announced they are making more durable playfields that they call "Spectrum Playfields". However, who knows when Micro implemented the new playfield creation process, that could have been well after that these early build GNR playfields were made.

Either way I'm done buying early build JJP and Stern games. Every single JJP game has been plagued with some type of early quality issue. With WOZ it was the light boards, Hobbit the fix kits and ramp flaps, with Dialed In it was chipping at scoops, Pirates pooling / chipping, and Wonka pooling / chipping. Stern's record isn't much better. Either way these games cost way too much for these types of issues to be occurring. If Stern and JJP want to charge record prices then they need to offer far better quality. Customers expectations in regards to quality and features have gone way up due to the all time record high NIB game prices.

The issue with playfield pooling and chipping is unacceptable and manufactures should be embarrassed that in 2020 they are continuing to sell products with this issue. If Haggis Pinball, a much smaller and new pinball company in Australia, can come up with a new high quality and more durable playfield build process then so can Stern and JJP.

#6876 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thanks for posting these! Saw Kaneda post, and figured they came from this thread.
Just awful that JJP has taken so many orders, and pushed out quality issues like this, again.
What happened between earlier JJP games like the Hobbit, and now? Would truly be nice if they disclosed that information....

Interested in knowing as well! The playfield in my Hobbit is the nicest and most durable playfield I've ever seen. I've read similar reports from other owners. Hell I remember seeing one on location and after a ton of plays it still had little to no wear at the VUK holes and shooter lane. Something changed between then and now.

#6911 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I'm not an engineer, but made this in 5 minutes in photoshop..why can't they develop a flange that sits under the playfield, secured from below and the post is actually part of the flange that goes through the post hole with a threaded center to screw down the plastics to (They could even polish or coat it to look pretty). It doesn't seem like rocket science and you'd never have a sling post (or anything that takes a pounding) ever touch the surface of the playfield again.
[quoted image]

We may be talking about something similar but I like the idea of t-nuts being installed on top of the playfield for all posts where the post then applies pressure to the metal on the t-nut versus any wood / art. That seems like it would solve the issue.

#6988 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

When I asked Mirco, he said a handful of playfields are affected..
The run apparently came from early 2020..
I don’t know what a handful constitutes..
10-20..? 30-50...? Guess it depends on the volume he is cracking them out at..
During the clear process, I wonder if the clear recipes used is all in one, or do the machines have feed tubes to different containers of chemical that are mixed..?

At this point JJP needs considering finding a new playfield manufacturer or bring the process in house. The last thing customers of $7k - $12k+ pinball machines should have to worry about is playfield quality. This issue has affected runs of Dialed In, Pirates, Wonka, and now GNR. 100's of games have been affected over the years. This is a major issue and one that results in a negative impact on resale value. How many chances is JJP going to keep giving Mirco?

2 weeks later
#7173 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not the one who started this thread, im only participating in it. The goal of this thread is not to put JJP or Stern out of business, its to try and get these manufacturers to up their quality. Its also about letting people know how these companies are treating their customers and to let people know the playfield quality issues that are going on at any given time so people don't run out and buy a defective product that these companies wont stand behind. For the people that don't care, i would say this thread is not a thread that they should be concerned with. Its just pinheads looking out for each other. The internet is a great thing.

Well said, his last post in this thread.

#7181 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Its not a fix for the playfield issues but see how Williams (CGC) have the rails mounted off the playfield.
[quoted image]

That change would cost Stern another $1 per game due to the extra metal needed! I don't know how they could afford it only charging $6k - $9k+ for their products.

Ridiculous. Those raised rails should be standard on all pins. There's now been dozens of reports of chipping near the edge of rails on Stern games as the ends dig into the playfield.

1 week later
#7242 3 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Playfield chip down to wood[quoted image][quoted image]

The issues with chipping playfields around ball guides shows that Stern never corrected their playfield problems but rather just applied a bandaid (removing artwork around posts). I just looked at my Family Guy which has ball guides right up against the artwork and there's no issues.

Neither Stern or JJP has told customers the cause of their playfield quality issues and what they are doing to resolve it. As a result customers are left to speculate and hope to be one of the lucky ones that receives a perfect game. After multiple price increases leading to all time record high prices the risk just doesn't seem worth it.

#7260 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Not so fast there. Removing artwork from around the post doesn't stop pooling it just minimizes the chipping damage. The AIQs and TMNTs I have seen have no pooling (or chipping). So Stern have done the smart thing by removing the art from under posts and based on all the GnR issues, they also seem to be ahead of JJP on fixing the clearcoat formula issues. Stern does have to go back to pinball design 101 when it comes to the metal guides (and aprons) cutting into playfields.
I was just restoring a Black Hole from 1981 and interestingly about half of the posts have indents in the coat and chipping under the posts...

Stern still has playfield issues with metal guides digging to playfields that results in chipping. That never used to happen. This is a manufacture defect.

Another AIQ...

36b377ddee6a2fcf67a37f9691f5ee1cedb860f0 (resized).jpg36b377ddee6a2fcf67a37f9691f5ee1cedb860f0 (resized).jpg

#7267 3 years ago

Stern and JJP's answer to playfield issues

4n2pvi (resized).jpg4n2pvi (resized).jpg

#7282 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Thought I better resurrect this chestnut as it’s the answer to all Playfield pooling issues......Playfield art is overrated anyway.....
[quoted image]

Looks like the fastest Stern game ever made! FLOW FLOW FLOW. $6k - $9k+

#7292 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Is it just me or do the Spooky plastics look washed out when they are lit underneath? I noticed that on both TNA and R&M. Its like the white layer is too thick or the colors just don't have enough pop to them.

Part of it could be that a lot of Spooky plastics don't have as much artwork on them compared to Stern and JJP plastics. Even if they are a bit washed out I rather deal with slightly less vibrant plastics then playfields that chip and pool.

2 weeks later
#7331 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

If there is a cheaper way, Stern will find it.

I wonder sometimes if Stern has monthly "How can we make this cheaper" type meetings.

Employee 1: "We can save $1 a game if we use thinner metal on coil stops"
Employee 2: "Great idea, but won't customers complain"?
Employee 1: "Nah, they will just buy better replacements from Pinball Life"

#7340 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL you need to put JJP in there with Stern as JJP has never put out an issue free game

Nah, JJP has had issues but they are not trying to save money on coil stops of all things. Theres standard items you don't try and save money on when selling a $6k - $9k+ pin. Its not only embarrassing but insulting in my opinion to customers how Stern cheapens out on certain items.

1 month later
#7584 3 years ago

Apparently he told Gary "I'm not leaving until I get a replacement playfield". That was weeks ago and he's still there.

141313748_10159184327954244_5100572227689808737_n (resized).jpg141313748_10159184327954244_5100572227689808737_n (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#7882 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Ok, so if holding purchases to force improvements is the plan...what will it take for you and the others to decide it's ok to buy again?
Case in point, all indications are the new playfields on GNR CEs are beautiful. I haven't heard a single complaint.
And yet people still angrily beat the drum in here.

It's due to every single JJP release having some sort of early issue(s). WOZ it was the lightboards, Hobbit required a fix kit for new drop target springs, beast pop up spacers, and ramp flaps (what a pain the ass to replace). Dialed In had chipping at the scoops, Pirates it was chipping / pooling playfields and mechanical issues, Wonka the same thing with chipping / pooling playfields, and then early GNR's had playfield issues as well. Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me thrice, fool me four times...

Even though the Hobbit had some early release issues at least they were fixable and didn't involve playfield issues that permanently damaged a game. JJP made those games extremely well and the playfields look incredible (the best they have offered in my opinion).

Personally I would wait 6 months to buy any NIB game from JJP and Stern. This is why Wonka CE and GNR CE playfields are fine, the early $9500 LE buyers sadly had to deal with issues that were later resolved for CE's.

#7891 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

This operator has found out how to avoid pooling
[quoted image]

Looks like a nice Stern Choice playfield with a good amount of marbling.

4b0a7b9c99bb24c3c5e12c07ee2a465d62b3da47 (resized).jpg4b0a7b9c99bb24c3c5e12c07ee2a465d62b3da47 (resized).jpg

#7940 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Interesting turn of events here....if I read this correctly, NO ONE's getting a warranty replacement play field of ANY kind, ever again!
(at least not from JJP!)
[quoted image]

Complete BS. We now seem to be in another period of calm in regards to good playfield quality from JJP. However, this same pattern has occurred before and I fear its only a matter of time before another issue affects a batch of playfields. When will that be is anyone's guess, just a risk customers of an $8k - $12.5k+ product unfortunately have to take if they want a game.

A replacement playfield is at the very minimum what JJP and Stern should offer if there's a playfield quality issue.

#7954 3 years ago

Old

"Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines".

New

"Stern Pinball, Inc. is a global lifestyle brand based on the iconic and outrageously fun modern American game of pinball."

tenor.giftenor.gif

2 weeks later
#7990 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

(Not mine, was pasted on FB this morning)

Has a build date been confirmed? So far these issues have only been reported on very early builds. Still not acceptable either way.

1 month later
#8050 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Remember the great Insert Ghosting Panic of 2017?
Did that go away or do we just not care anymore?

It randomly went away like other playfield issues. When will it occur again? Who knows! That's the joy of spending $6k - $9k+ for a pinball machine from Stern or JJP in 2021, you have no idea what the playfield quality will be. Best bet is to buy a Stern LE (to avoid issues found on pros, Jurassic Park for example) and if buying a JJP wait 6 months to let the early issues be identified (first batch GNR's with chipping playfields).

By the way I played a GNR LE on location last week. Incredible game but the playfield was chipped at the sling posts, it's from the first batch of games shipped.

#8056 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Thanks it is a JJP CE machine.
I should have said that in my post, seems JJP has great customer service so I was wondering what they will do?

For a CE at $12,500 I would hope they either take the game back or send you a fully populated playfield. There's no excuse for this chipping / pooling BS at these insane prices.

#8071 3 years ago

People are tired of this playfield quality lottery BS that randomly keeps occurring and then companies not standing behind their insanely priced products.

If your game has a playfield issue and Stern or JJP isn't doing anything about it (and washers isn't doing anything) document their reply, then create a dedicated post on Pinside about it. If Stern and JJP want to charge $6k - $12k+ for their products then they need to offer top quality and be held accountable for it.

#8075 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

At this point I want to keep it between the dealer, JJP, and myself.
I did learn one very important thing today, I should have thought of. With the environment being a bigger concern and moving to water based crap I can understand how they can't make things like they use too.

Question for you. Did your game come with clear washers installed at the sling posts from the factory similar to below? Is this the area where your playfield chipped or was it somewhere else?

I'm not sure when JJP started including clear factory washers at the sling posts on games but all recently shipped games appear to have them installed.

#8081 3 years ago

Notes on Diamond Plate I found in a link from an old Pinside thread. Are the chemicals used in Diamond Plate now banned?

"Diamond Plate is a hardcoat for pinball playfields that was developed in the mid 1980ies by Sun Process.
Ken Fedesna, Vice President at Williams asked Sun Process to research if pinball playfields could be made more dureable. Their answer was Diamond Plate. This was based on Imron, an automotive 2-component urethane hardcoat developed by DuPont. There were minor changes to its formula and application (thickness, drying time, ..) so it could be applied to the wood of playfields."

2 weeks later
#8158 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Do they all use the same company to make these playfields?

No, Stern uses a combination of playfield manufacturers while JJP just Mirco.

The picture that Kaneda posted is from a December build CE. We've seen at least one other December build CE posted with chipping / pooling and it was confirmed by the owner that the game didn't ship with factory washers. We haven't seen widespread reports of pooling / chipping since around January when JJP started including washers from the factory. Did anything else change with the playfields around that time? Who knows.

#8170 2 years ago

Imagine getting sent a pint of paint and some mylar crap from Ford, GM, etc for a terrible paint / clearcoat job after dropping $20k+ on a car. That would never fly.

Also, people are sick and tired of hearing about washers, seeing washers installed from the factory, getting sent washers, etc. It's a band aid for a manufacture defect that still hasn't been fixed.

#8172 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Data point...people said POTC was going to look like those Chevy's, and they don't. The chipping remained at the posts and hidden under washers, and the games are worth more than ever.

Those games are worth more then ever in part because they are very rare. If JJP reruns Pirates any model with pooling / chipping will tank in value.

No more washer excuses or using blow dryers to flatten pooling or whatever. People are sick of it!

1 week later
#8268 2 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

This is all still a gamble on what kind of play field you eventually get and that just sucks.

Yup Feels like playing the quality lottery every time. Will be playing the quality lottery myself tomorrow when a NIB TMNT Premium arrives (knock on wood).

I have less playfield concerns though with a new Stern game then a new JJP game at this time. Stern at least "solved" their chipping problem by removing artwork around all posts while JJP only installed washers on most posts. There's at least one report of a GNR LE having chipping with an April 2021 build despite having factory washers installed (the chipping occurred in an area where washers weren't used). Also have a GNR LE arriving next month and that's the one I'm more worried about.

2417963ba6e6b2c17d9d59e7a19a360fba962902 (resized).jpg2417963ba6e6b2c17d9d59e7a19a360fba962902 (resized).jpg

#8274 2 years ago

This statement, right here, is why we will never see anything get better with playfields.

I feel much more confident in Stern playfield quality right now over JJP. Are Stern playfields 100% perfect with every single one? No, but they at least fixed the playfield pooling / chipping issue by removing artwork around all posts. Reports of chipping / pooling on the latest Sterns is pretty much at 0.

Unfortunately JJP seems to have done nothing to resolve the issue and their only "fix" is applying washers, a fix that is a reminder that they are continuing to ship games with a known manufacturer defect.

Another $12,500 GNR CE was just reported as having pooling / chipping...

5acb5eea7e2046ba8d0a2188e45d0ad3e8fec1d8 (resized).jpg5acb5eea7e2046ba8d0a2188e45d0ad3e8fec1d8 (resized).jpg
7154a8e17c429703aed8cf5f9b7f469140401f67 (resized).jpg7154a8e17c429703aed8cf5f9b7f469140401f67 (resized).jpg

#8280 2 years ago

From Kaneda lol

#8299 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Correct. A spare playfield is a $1000 part, and the people who got them were for the most part ungrateful about it. "Now what???" "I have NOT been made whole" etc. I wouldn't send replacement either after that.

So instead JJP should just keep shipping games with known defective playfields and sending out washer band aid "fix" kits? That's not a resolution, they need to finally correct this issue. Pirates sell for well over MSRP even with playfield issues as it's very rare. The same won't be said for GNR which is being made in much larger quantities.

Once there's a few thousand GNR's out there how will the resale value of games with chipping / pooling be effected? I would expect the hit will be at least $1k on LE's, hence why JJP should at least be sending new unpopulated playfields out to effected customers.

#8334 2 years ago

This customer was just told "There's not much we can do for your game, we will send a washer kit"...he wasn't happy lol.

#8335 2 years ago

The Mirco JJP "Quality Test" post sounds like a joke if its just a post applied to clear coated wood with no artwork. Of course chipping / pooling won't occur there, Stern already proved this by correcting the issue by removing artwork around all posts. Pooling / chipping only seems to be occurring at posts that rest on clear coated artwork.

Can anyone confirm if the Mirco quality test post is a post applied to clear coated wood with no artwork?

#8352 2 years ago

One way to help reduce the chance of your game having playfield or other manufacturing issues is to wait 6 months from when the first batch of games are shipped. Early manufacturing issues are often caught in the initial production runs and later corrected. At these prices getting a game early isn't worth the headaches of dealing with issues in my opinion.

I've read multiple reports about GNR CE's and LE's with pooling / chipping and almost all are from December 2020 or January 2021. We now know that games from around that time did not come with washers installed at the JJP factory. Reports of pooling / chipping seem to drop heavily after that. However, I did read one report of an owner with an April 2021 build that had pooling at a post in the upper playfield area (no washer installed) despite the game having factory washers installed in other areas.

#8357 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Except they have been having the identical issue going back to Pirates ...

They have and what's odd is things improved with playfields in later runs on Pirates, Wonka, and now GNR. Why the early runs were affected the most who knows but it seems to be a pattern. It's still on JJP as they continue to put defective playfields in their games. It seems like JJP initially doesn't put any washers on for the first run of a new game, then the customer complaints start rolling in for pooling / chipping, and then they start installing factory washers at the factory...

#8362 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Lol, you gotta be kidding me. I just saw Yelobird's post. You swiped his picture and told a story about it without checking it out, and tried to pass it off as you "finding something out" as though you got some inside scoop somewhere? This happens on Pinside way too much with people spreading around other people's pictures and telling stories that aren't their own and that aren't checked out. Again, I'm not a fan of JJP but I am also not a fan of telling someone else's story or spreading their pictures without any reference to the original person or checking out whether or not it's accurate.

Yes I recently found out from Yelobirds post, it was nice he shared it. I never said it was my game, I'm sorry I didn't quote him and his user name! I deleted the part about the prototype playfield as like you said it appears that artwork is indeed removed around production Pirates games.

The picture below is from a Pirates I used to own (please quote and give me credit if using it! lol) and artwork is indeed removed around the sling posts...just not very well.

eb5099726fbb016b5bee6d1ae3b4df72135723db (1) (resized).jpgeb5099726fbb016b5bee6d1ae3b4df72135723db (1) (resized).jpg

#8364 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

So what you posted was inaccurate, and you even had pictures of your own that you could have checked in order to see that what you were about to post was inaccurate? Awesome. I see you've now gone back and removed the pic from your original post and edited that post to remove your statement that JJP removed art from around the posts on prototypes but not on production machines and your conclusion that their whole mess with playfields could have been avoided if they hadn't made that change (the change that didn't happen).

Yup, I made a mistake, then commented on making the mistake (before you posted the snarky reply above), and corrected it. The original post I saw with that picture was presented in a way that artwork was not removed around posts in production games.

Time to move on!

#8367 2 years ago

In the GNR owners thread there's another pooling / chipping report from a game with a 4/21 build date...That build date more then likely means any newly built game could have a playfield issue.

#8372 2 years ago

There's now a discussion thread blowing up on Facebook in the Jersey Jack Pinball Fans group. Things are getting noisy again. Too many units with issues.

Just saw that, another CE, damn...Factory washers did nothing to prevent the issue.

Screenshot_20210520-120243_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210520-120243_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210520-120258_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210520-120258_Chrome (resized).jpg

1 week later
#8461 2 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:Life was good in pinball until my Jurassic Park premium started having playfield issues. Still waiting in a new replacement 8 months later after promised.

What issues is your JP Premium playfield having?

#8465 2 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

From the TMNT thread it looks like same as newer JP’s. Thinner clear which results in slightly raised inserts.

Is thinner clear from Stern a way to reduce pooling / chipping? I thought I once read that too much much clear can cause issues as well. I suppose the downside is slightly raised inserts like you said but if it's cleared over they should be fine. I've had some games in the past with thinner clear and slightly raised inserts with thousands of plays and there were no issues.

#8472 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Opinion but I think the thinner clear transition was to mitigate the Overly visible dimpling.

Interesting, I did notice thinner clear but less dimpling on some of the latest Stern's I played on location. A few of the inserts on an AIQ LE I played looked slightly raised, some only 1 side just barely raised (could see edge). Is that intentional and or just a side affect of thinner clear?

#8474 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yep, the side effect of minimizing the clear to mitigate (minimize) dimples is typically a visible outline at the inserts. Have noticed that myself. Guess they are searching for the happy medium.

Good to know. I suppose that works, sounds better then the mini moon crater filled playfields we once saw from Stern. I'm glad Stern is doing something versus JJP.

3 weeks later
#8908 2 years ago

5e7xla (resized).jpg5e7xla (resized).jpg

#8931 2 years ago

Mandolorian pro from Gusphan chipping at ball guide. My friends is doing the same thing but worse.
[quoted image]

Damn. Don't buy for at least 6 months, Stern will resolve the issue in later builds.

#8935 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Whatever floats your boat. Personally prefer not to wait 6 months for a couple of washers to be installed then another 6 months for delivery. It’s a 5 minute fix.

Once there's damage it's permanent and may affect resale value. Rather see washers or whatever installed at the factory and have a playfield in perfect condition.

#8950 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

That doesn’t give JJP a pass

I don't think anyone is saying that, people report Stern playfield issues as well in this thread.

Personally I would wait at least 6 months before buying any new game. The early headaches, some major such as playfield issues, are not worth getting one of the first games.

1 week later
#8975 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

This is complete bullshit. Have JJP actually lost their minds? Their Playfields are without exception complete crap, they make no effort to fix them, and now they are not recommending even trying to prevent them falling apart.
From now on I think I’m going to be happy with Stern and Spooky. It’s a shame because I like JJP games, but buying a $15 - 20k game (aud) and then being treated like that?!?!?
Unbelievable.

It is BS. We know at some point in May that JJP started shipping games with longer posts + black washers + nylon nuts we don't know when in May. Some games built in May likely still went out without the fix kit installed the factory.

1 week later
#8983 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

You mean Band Aid kit? A "fix" would be new printer with better art adherence, no art under posts and clear that doesn't pool.

It sure would be. The latest GNR builds don't seem to be experiencing any playfield issues. Seeing multiple reports of owners with 250+ plays on latest builds with no issues.

I'm getting my GNR LE this week, it was likely built within the past two weeks. I feel good about having delayed my order a couple times. It's still BS how owners of existing games have been treated with just a band aid kit instead of at least a replacement playfield.

1 year later
#9045 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It’s crazy how when you’re charging 7k-15K for a toy customers become a bit tougher or more critical.

This, as prices have risen so have expectations of quality (plus what is being included in games).

1 week later
#9066 1 year ago

I think this still holds true today, don't be an early adopter by buying a game from one of the first production runs. Wait 6 months until a few batches of games have gone out and let the early buyers deal with the headaches. At these insane prices it's just not worth it IMO to be one of the first buyers of a game.

The earlier you buy the greater the risk that something will be messed up. The later you buy the greater the chance that any early production issues (playfields, cabinets, mechs, code, etc) will be resolved from the factory.

3 weeks later
#9117 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Here's a couple, nobody noticed this? Probably had 120 plays when it started still only 490 so depressing...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don't think that's ghosting, just the outline of the insert. A majority of modern Stern playfield inserts probably look that way up close. Clearcoat now seems thinner to prevent issues such as chipping.

9 months later
#9180 11 months ago

Here we go again! $7k - $13k quality.

Pinside_forum_7592500_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7592500_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7592500_1 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7592500_1 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7592500_2 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7592500_2 (resized).jpg

#9184 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We have never had an unresolved issue with Stern.

Hope so. There's still people waiting 2+ years for a TMNT replacement playfield due to a similar issue...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,495 (Firm)
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.