IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cpr9999.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#283 4 years ago

Is there a mark on playfield to tell which supplier to Stern made it?

1 week later
#758 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Did you see post 727, looks gross!

Did they not see this during assembly??

#777 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Went to a barcade yesterday and here's what i saw.
JP-pooling and chipping
BK3-pooling
IMDN-pooling and a piece of clearcoat flaking off in the middle of the playfield
Deadpool- didnt look but im sure it probably had issues as well.
At my house:
Munsters-pooling
IMDN-pooling and chipping after 600 plays
For anyone who thinks this isn't a big problem, you better think again because its HUGE I guarantee it!

What did Stern or your distributor say?

#780 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Haven't heard back yet.

Cool. Let us know what they are willing to do.

#823 4 years ago

If I decide to cancel my preorder I have in with Cointaker, what is there cancellation policy?

This quality issue is concerning.

#1117 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I like my machines to be defect free out of the box. Not to look like this.
I agree with Underlord.[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you chat with distributor/Stern and what are they willing to do?

#1120 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

My distributor sent pictures to Stern. Still waiting for an answer.
Still waiting for an answer on my WONKA as well but that has been over a month.
Surprisingly my Black Knight Premium looks perfect.

Will be interested in hearing what they do as this will affect my buying NIB decision.

Thx

#1192 4 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

So the machine I set up tonight had very minor rippling/pooling. Removed the ugly metal washers from under the sling posts and found this (see left pic). I applied the heat gun on low for 10-15 seconds and it leveled into a nice smooth finish. This is great if it was permanent, but if a little heat can level it, imagine what a pinball can will do to it long term.[quoted image]

Nice job in fixing.

However I fear you are right- temporary fix. Clear is to soft.

#1299 4 years ago
Quoted from mslow:

My distributor wrote me asking for final payment on my JP2 LE. They should be shipping soon.
Do you feel the clear problems have been solved? Would you hold off and wait till this problem is 100% figured out with the chance of missing out on an LE?

YES!

There have been many LE future owners that are OUT. You can always get a Premium when issues are fixed. Many of us followed this path.

No need to gamble.

#1346 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

That's exactly what it is., and their silence speaks volumes on the veracity of that claim.

Well, yeah. They're prolly going "awww fuck guys. How are we going to get over THIS hump? They're not letting this one go over at Pinside....! We might have to actually address it."

All the cancelled orders probably got their attention.

#1354 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Um, not exactly. They buy them in batches. If they don’t sell they don’t buy more batches. For sure hurts Stern.

Yup, the volume of orders slows to distributors, thus the distributors don’t order. It has gotten Sterns attention, they stopped the line to scrutinize the LEs my distributor says.

1 week later
#1701 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

My Iron Maiden did this on the exact same post in around 600 plays. I’m waiting on Stern’s response...[quoted image]

Post back and let us know what Stern says.

I suspect nothing unless you have chipping.
And lots of it!

#1770 4 years ago

Has anyone that has had pooling/ wrinkling (not cracking or chipping) been awarded a new playfield by Stern?

#1856 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I think we all can appreciate your stance, especially if the chipping has occurred in so many areas.
I would hope that Stern does take care of you. I would almost guarantee though that it won’t happen quickly.

I believe the bottom line issue in most cases is not that pooling or chipping, etc affect game play they affect the price when you go sell.

Would you pay the same price for a pooling/chipping playfield-game as one that has it without- no liars here - you won’t. Same applies in other applications- you have 2 great cars - one has a few more scratches/minor cosmetic- no way I am paying the same price.

You ask widespread- define widespread and we can answer the questions.

Hundreds of playfields per Pinside posts in multiple forums have shown this (read them) over the last 3 years of making them. If you answered above that it affects what you are willing to pay (which is 90%+ of people) - that is where the rub is.

I agree Stern can’t financially replace all these playfields. But at some point they will have to address publicly and not say it like just a small run on JP. If they don’t (which is most likely) - I will no longer buy new. And I have bought a lot of NIB LEs. I among 50 others canceled our JPLE orders with no communication from Stern. Distributors got angry aggressive with Stern which forced Sterns hand to address.

FYI - they did stop the JP line to address and change design (good for them). Now what to do about previous machines.....tbd!

#1859 4 years ago

Here is another example of the potential issue:

Guy just bought this new from Stern:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1313-mockingbird-lane-munsters-club/page/119#post-5220468

Doesn’t sound happy - Stern can’t afford to say nothing.

Or they will continue to get a shit load of calls. My guess is they will say something during or before upcoming Chicago expo.

#1877 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Again, absolutely ridiculous.
A car that’s defective is massively different from a pinball machine.
(I don’t want to give it away completely, but think of what happens to the user when these two very different machines fail to operate as intended)
The other thing to consider is this: Pinsiders appear to consider pooling on par with global warming. Operators likely do not share the same concern. So Stern announcing a recall and drawing attention to something that’s perhaps not even important, is not only unnecessary, it’s throwing money down the drain. That money is recouped with higher prices.
If that’s what you want, you’re on your own.

Problem is operators are becoming the minority here, the market has shifted to home use. Stern like it or not has a deal with a different level of expectation. The good news is Stern now has tons of new home use customers, bad news are pinball quality expectations have shifted.

#1886 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

So the Stern release photographs of Elvira clearly show artwork underneath both slings. I’m curious if those photos were taken before they discovered the problem and made the changes to the JP LE playfiields[quoted image]

I originally thought the same but the posts look like the have black circles.
Hard to tell,

#1991 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Where? So far I've only heard good things about LE playfields. Premiums aren't shipping yet. But if there are still issues, I want to see them before my premium ships so I can cancel, if need be.

Cancel your premium. I among 50 other future LE owners cancelled.

Wait, don’t deal with this shit. Not worth the BS right now. Many people cancelled, Stern is feeling the pain - demand has gone down. I bet between LEs and Premiums cancelled in the last 2 months it is over 100 (on multiple titles). Think about that effect - what is that worth to Stern and how much does that piss off their distributors!!

Not to mention all those that never ordered waiting on the side. Stern, like any manufacturer, will find a solution soon. They can’t afford to keep this going.

#2053 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You ought to relax, seriously.
That playfield is messed up for sure, and I posted support in the LE thread that he should escalate to Stern and expect them to back him up, 100% (just so you know where I'm coming from) -but as I posted there, that looks like a screw ripped through the wet clear and artwork while in the factory.
Owner confirmed that the peeled paint is covered in clear, so unless you know better, I'd say it's not as you described, "paint just flaking off".
I think it's really important to figure out what caused that "tear" in the artwork. If you are somehow correct, then yes, all bets are off and maybe it's best for everyone to wait this out.
But if you're all fired up and yelling "fire!, fire!" when it's just a one-off caused by a sharp screw in the apron that tore through the clear and art at installation, then that's a one-off, and likely not an issue that should frighten potential buyers.
I posted in the other thread that if anyone with a JPLE wants to remove the apron, to see if a screw is located anywhere near there, that might support my theory.
I think the benefit of a place like Pinside is when you have owners helping other owners, not raising pitchforks without much information.
Any other opinions on the cause of that "tear" is welcome, of course!

Man shit quality going on at Stern lately.

Check out the Munsters club thread. They sent dozens of cool toppers all over the world - at $425 a piece. Not one worked. All returned for fixes.

After weeks of fixed sent back out. All the same dam issues again. Send back or drill out deeper holes to fix.

And then Stern drops a topper code update.

Geez - get control over there Stern- like Quality Control!!!!

Long time Stern fan - sitting on sidelines right now.

#2055 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Well having actually cleared over a digital print. I looks like the printing did not soak into, or adhere to the wood, it has no bit into the substrate at all. The clear coat then softened the art. Then something gouged the art, causing it to peel with the clear clean off the wood. If the art was applied correctly to the wood, time given before clear, and time between clear coats, this would have most likely been a scratch, and not a peel. Point being ink should not peel off the wood leaving bare wood. There's not even an ink stain on that wood.
Basically it should not be tearing and pulling away from the wood, it should just be a scratch. Poor prep, and incompatible products.

Amen!

#2089 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

You bought half a machine?

The non-playfield half!

#2115 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Quick Update:
Stern has been fast to respond to my emails. They said they sent my pictures to quality control and offered to send me a bottle of clear touch-up to mitigate the paint peeling issue.

That’s what they did for me years ago, a jar of clearcoat. This is ok if it is not a NIB game. But NIB - wtf!

#2208 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Well, there's skateboards.

Maybe tennis rackets, hockey sticks...

#2251 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I know this isn't a paint related issue, but with regard to playfield quality...Along with peeled paint and missing parts that were never installed on the playfield, I just discovered what appears to be the wrong colored insert installed on my LE playfield. All RESCUE targets are supposed to be red/orange. Somehow, a clear one got into my playfield. Do they make orange bulbs?[quoted image]

Until they replace your playfield these do work great...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/by-category/345-playfield-other

Ping him

#2312 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

No worries, they’ll take care of you especially since it’s a really new game. It does take time. Just continue to be patient and polite in the meantime, which you’re totally being... even in your posts here.
Personally, I’m livid that my 9k LE is having these issues and I’m not getting much a response... but your game is substantially newer and has a multitude of issues, so I’m confident Stern will take care of you sooner than later don’t sweat it!

Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

No worries, they’ll take care of you especially since it’s a really new game. It does take time. Just continue to be patient and polite in the meantime, which you’re totally being... even in your posts here.
Personally, I’m livid that my 9k LE is having these issues and I’m not getting much a response... but your game is substantially newer and has a multitude of issues, so I’m confident Stern will take care of you sooner than later don’t sweat it!

What happened to your LE?

3 weeks later
#2805 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Correct, but the cabinets themselves are better construction, better wood material and thicker plywood. It’s worth noting these cabinets started “after” Deadpool.

I thought the cabinet base/floor was the only difference ?

1 week later
#3109 4 years ago

Not buying any more new Stern NIB.
Staying away for a long time. Stern’s poor communication and quality issues are not helping their case. It was hard to cancel my JPLE and not order Elvira but I am standing tall.

Plus let’s see what the market does next year- I suspect we will buy some of these between 50-75 cents on the dollar late next year.

2 weeks later
#3181 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ha...you meant to say has anyone even got a phone call back from Stern yet right?

Aren’t those defects the new normal!!!

Good luck to getting them to do much. For the rare few that do - congrats.

The are cranking out the volume (with sub standard quality) - before the drop in market happens. Greed is good for them - but will only last so long before they will get back to lower volumes and higher quality focus.

Question is when ??????

#3224 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I was told I would be sent an unpopulated playfield Nov 1st for my Jurassic Park that had wear around the post direct from the factory. Still nothing from Stern.
I’m moving on from Stern and not dealing with this shit any longer. They clearly don’t want my business Or want to correct the situation and I’m sick of contacting my distributor to try and make it right. Keep your fucking playfield Stern!

I hear you brother! I cancel my JPLE - was tough decision. Then passed on Elvira. If enough people stop buying NIB Stern will start to listen.

Focus on quality Stern, then build your business. I watch people order the Munsters topper only to have 100% recall and shit on people. Then they resent out subpar quality again.

Pain in the wallet will get their attention!!!

I am a Stern fan, but at this point I am sitting on the sidelines.

#3252 4 years ago
Quoted from johnny77:

Stern dont care nor do distribuor. My GB pre as a issues with playfield chipping. Talked to stern and dis. Its been a year and nothing. Trash company and crooked dis.

Who’s the distributor so we stay away?

#3271 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

But will it crater?

That will cost you extra!

1 week later
#3282 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

As some of you know when I got my Jurassic Park from Stern the playfield had pooling. This is what it looks like now in the home environment.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There is a $500+ price drop plus it will scare off a large percentage of future buyers.

Replacement playfield is only way to not take a hit now - unfortunately.

#3318 4 years ago

Check this guys recent post - is that playfield clear acceptable or are my eyes seeing this incorrectly?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/65#post-5364534

#3445 4 years ago
Quoted from WillSmuz8999:

Trying to set the record straight...
Mirco does not make Stern playfields. Mirco makes for his own repro business and JJP.
Stern makes their boards in house now, and installs the inserts, and sands the boards. I am not sure if they perform the seal coat, but I think they send them to an automotive coater in Crystal Lake, IL, who seals them, then they are sent to Rockford Silk Screen Process for digital printing,and then to the same clearcoater. Not sure, if they still use them for playfields too, but Stern once used The Fun Company in New Lisbon, WI. I know they were, maybe still are, making the wood cabinets for Stern, and possibly playfields.
American Pinball once used Mirco for the beginning of Houdini, but switched to Bader in Scales Mound, IL and then they are sent to Signcraft Screenprint in Galena, IL.
Charlie at Spooky once worked for Signcraft. Charlie gained knowledge in digitally printing playfields, etc... and has a JV with Tim Lutz at Lutz Mfg, in Benton, Wi, which is where he gets his playfields.
That is all!

https://www.wiscnews.com/juneaucountystartimes/news/local/fun-company-expands-necedah-facility/article_de9f6b2d-b5b4-59ad-99d5-f662696b00f1.html

C23A0573-3978-4D72-9A78-C8AA38E71C82 (resized).pngC23A0573-3978-4D72-9A78-C8AA38E71C82 (resized).png
#3453 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

Good call Julian, as much as I don’t think Mirco has much credibility left, it’s not rocket appliances to figure out that doesn’t work.

What are rocket appliances? Strap a rocket to my pinball machine?

#3469 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Seems like you have it all figured out!
How do you "judge" JP2 against all the games you've owned/played?
From my perspective, gameplay needs to be factored into "quality". A perfectly built game (with no dimples and perfect clear isn't very exciting if the gameplay is BORING. I've owned a HEP CCC and PMD TOTAN and sold them because the gameplay was BORING.
I can't stop playing JP2 and think it's one of the best shooting games of all time. The shots available to the right upper flipper are just awesome.
Since Stern currently produces the most games (by far), it's not surprising they produce some duds. As they know very well, it takes a spectrum of games to satisfy a pretty diverse customer base. Casual players don't like the same games as fanatics that play every day.

“best shooting game of all time”.... I get it is a good game for most.... but heck give it 5 or 10 years before making those comments.

#3504 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He gave everyone a personal call that had a chipping playfield and buttered them up and made them gush all over themselves and forget about their shitty quality playfield. The correct thing to do would have been to call people and say I'm sorry that this happened and we will be sending you a populated playfield for your game.
I guess an unpopulated playfield is better than nothing but I personally find it unacceptable on any game that has a defect from the factory and totally unacceptable for a person that has a brand new game with a bad playfield.

Someday soon let us know these distributors so you save others from getting burned! Thx

#3608 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This isn't entirely true. I’d suggest attending a show and having a conversation with stern staff. I did. They won’t tell you specifics because they are trade secrets, but they did more than just thin the clear. I want to see issues with playfields that were produced post September. So far, none have been shown. If there is evidence of chipping/pooling/excessive dimpling in these newer playfields, we should continue to be vocal. No doubt that playfields in 2019 and prior had issues, but it seems both jjp and stern may have now addressed these issues.

What more did they do than thin the coat.
Please explain your evidence sir as you have asked others. If it is hearsay than it is no better than others.

#3613 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

They won’t reveal what they did or how they analyzed the problems as that info would benefit their competitors, and I respect that. I was told the problems were identified and fixed and that my Elvira would not have any issues. So far, that has been true. I can only speak from my experience, whether people to choose to believe me is up to them. I understand and appreciate the skepticism.

This thread exists because there have been significant issues with chipping and pooling at both jjp and stern. People are reporting no issues with newer wonkas and I’m not sure there is evidence newer production stern games have issues. I don’t think anyone in the Elvira thread has reported any issues and most seem happy with their playfields.

I don’t take Sterns word so far on playfields. Stern added something “special” to the thin coat to make it better or they did something to the wood to cause less dimples is cheap talk.

To me let’s see how the data (Elvira and next machine) hold up over the next 6-24 months. Being in the hobby for a few years we all know a run or two means nothing. Let’s see over time.

I hope they did find the “fixes” as we need to get past this issue.

#3656 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Stranger Things about 2 days old. Tons of dimpling the surface appears to be like putty. Particularly pronounced in a game with a ramp shot that airballs all over the playfield. It's hard to tell from the picture but the dimpling is all over the playfield, 100s of dimples. Probably every single time the ball leaves the playfield.
Side note had to tilt in 2 out of 6 games. Ball gets stuck? behind the gorgon or something... Also ball flying everywhere off ramps which wobble a little too much. Art package is boring, game looks and feels super cheap. On the positive side the game layout is pretty fun and super fast. Code needs a ton of work though (as usual).
But the fact that people are still buying this company's products and/or saying this level of dimpling is acceptable or somehow "evens out" is idiotic.
[quoted image]

Wow that dimpling sucks bad....

#3679 4 years ago

All these dimples make me wonder.....

Why don’t they compress the wood in a big press before they color print and clear the playfield?

Not a wood guy but there must be a reason they don’t.

1 week later
#3880 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Issue all games playfields as production whitewoods. No art, no clear.
Maybe send a pack of magic markers along so folks can put their own art on the playfield if they like. Markers could come with a Premium model .

Cool idea. Just need to make sure those markets are glow in dark!

Pro
Premium glow lite
Premium
Limited Edition

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#4402 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Thought so. Still doesn’t make your situation acceptable. Good luck - hope they sort it out for you as they should.

Why didn’t Stern or distributors pull stock?

#4468 4 years ago

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/new-super-wood-stronger-than-steel/amp

Compress d@m plywood and add some chemicals and all the craters and dimples go away.....

#4557 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Well, the shit storm I stirred up has no logical basis for an argument. HUO, means, as I used it, it went into my home, for my use only. Now why the arguments have no merit or logical basis is this one fact only- I am not selling this machine, and more specifically, I am not selling this machine to any of you. That said means that I am not representing this machine as HUO to anyone. I have never sold any of my pinball machines. Don’t plan on ever selling this one either. So if I say I bought it after it was used in a tournament (specifically the Chicago Expo 2007 Flip Out Tournament) where it was used in the final match of that tournament, where the top two contestants went head to head on a Family Guy machine... Andy Rosa and Greg Davis... yeah, I bought that one, from Mike Pacak, two minutes after the tournament ended, where it went into my rental truck and I brought it home to Frankfort Ky, where I was living at the time. Since then it has 2822 plays on it, of which 2567 of them I (and my house guests) have put on it in 12 years. It will remain in my home for my use only till they haul me out boots up. Here is a picture of the tournament lineup, care of PinGame Journal.[quoted image]

To me these are all ridiculous titles/names.

Condition is everything - look it over in person and determine the machine’s condition.

#4652 4 years ago

Post again....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/new-super-wood-stronger-than-steel/amp

Compress d@m plywood and add some chemicals and all the craters and dimples go away.

1 month later
#5051 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I really was just curious about how hard it is to do a playfield swap on a JJP machine.
You do bring up an interesting point though...if the pooling and such does not affect gameplay, and no one is going to do the swap, why was there so many complaints about needing a new playfield? People need something to fill their closets with or something?

2 reasons.

Makes it easier to sell your machine later and get a better sale price (makes new buyer feel better- even though they may do the same !!! Storing it).

Other reason ends up being a money grab. Sell your current machine at some point and next buyer does not care about minor playfield issues as long as it plays. Think of this as a payment for pain and suffering.

1 month later
#5123 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well then us STH LE owners hit the jackpot!

Purely random.

Oh yeah - good luck with pooling on thicker clear.

#5127 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What’s that? Never heard of it.

They’ve had to get the insurance companies involved and write papers on it to describe it and pay for it!!

5CCD2090-2166-4398-A1B7-695867AEFADE (resized).jpeg5CCD2090-2166-4398-A1B7-695867AEFADE (resized).jpeg

#5142 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

That is the issue with Stern. They do not want to stand behind their product, and are pushing all their distros to knock back warranty claims.
No more Playfield Russian Roulette for us. Inspection on every NIB before we buy. This is a condition of sale for us.

Distros open the game for you to see the playfield before you buy?

#5161 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

What am I looking at here? Care to provide any commentary? Looks decent to me, especially for the amount of plays. When was this JP made? Or are there two games here? I don't get it.

The playfield craters will level out after 1,000,000 balls played.

In the meantime get playing!

#5200 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Guess it is time for me to eat some crow. I've been a long time supporter of Stern and their games. Local's call me a Stern snob as that is basically all I buy now with the exception of an EM here or there. I've bought 8 NIB (9 with the one I've paid for but haven't received since Jan) and I think I've finally hit my limit as well. My DeadPool has been a nightmare from the start. I've had to replace so much stuff on my 240 games played machine it's ridiculous. Most recent was the CPU. I have 3 spots on my game that were defective that have worn to the wood in one spot already and the other two have worn past the clear and started to get to the art already. My distributor (who's been great) has helped every step of the way but the replacement PF I just got.... I just can't spend the time to put it in as I planned. I've never seen a brand new PF where all of the inserts are ABOVE the rest of the PF. That's frustrating enough minus the grain making it look like the clear was brushed on with a 99 cent Wal-Mart paint brush. I just can't support them anymore which is hard for me to say since there are games I still want to buy
Couple of pics with my crappy camera phone. You don't need the light to see the issues in person but to get my phone to focus I had to get some glare on them. Any ambient light (like the GI of a pinball machine) brings these issue out very clearly. I know there are worst things but this feels silly to me for a brand new PF. I can't help but think that after a couple thousand games those inserts will start to look like the fish of an old bad Fishtales PF.
First picture - shows the grain and clear issues. Also shows the insert which looks like the clear just settled. If that was the issue I could live with it (not be happy but live with it), but it's actually above the PF.
Second picture - Looking at DeadPool's eyes, hopefully this shows how all the inserts look in the game and how they are raised.
This PF was stamped as December 19 and also has a CV stamp on it. Guessing the CV is whom either QCed it or made it.[quoted image][quoted image]

By using less clear it now shows raised inserts!

Wood grain is unfortunately to common on these games along with soft wood. And just looks worse again with thin clear coat.

I like Stern games, owned many of the new ones, but starting with canceling my JPLE I have been holding tight.

Waiting to see how this plays out for Stern.

You are not alone here.

1 month later
#5439 3 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I 100% agree with him, would look best with lights off

Looks even better if you pull the power plug and turn out the lights - quality improves significantly then!

#5461 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

post #5372
"Their standard wood for Stern is a good one side panel with 3 layers of white ash and a 0.048" face veneers. After many consultations with their tech guys we came up with what I know is the best playfield wood in the world. We use the same basic setup as Stern, 3 layers of white ash cores then we use 4 layers of maritime hard maple BUT we increased the thickness of the two face veneers by 64% to get a nominal face thickness of 0.075". These huge and thick ONE piece veneers are crazy expensive and we always get this top grade veneer on BOTH sides of your PF. This alone added $12 to the cost of each panel vs just using a second grade veneer on the bottom like Stern does."

Shit everyone would pay that extra money.

Bean counter move.

#5503 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

You are being way to picky, that’s common on almost any game from any manufacture from any era.

No that is just modern crap quality - get used to the shit they are shoveling. Why because almost everyone is willing to forget (crap quality) when the next hyped title comes out....

Man I can’t tell you how many times I heard Iron Maiden was best machine and it was bolted to the floor. Then JP is the best modern machine (& tons of cheap Iron Maiden’s for sale). Now Turtles is the best (& JPLEs are for sale).

Be smart, don’t buy the hype and wait to get one of these cheap and best yet you can make sure it meets your quality standards (for a nice used price)!

#5522 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Really ? Didn't know Covid can be transmitted to others over the telephone line ! That's a new one. Maybe if you call them back with a mask on they will answer.

Maybe. But you need to step back 6 feet first then and yell at the phone through your mask!

1 week later
#5668 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, this is.
[quoted image]

What game is this?

#5676 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess I don't really have much more constructive to add to this thread.
[quoted image][quoted image]

How is the Rick & Morty playfield holding up? Not sure who Stern uses but this company (Bader Custom Cabinets) is in Illinois.

#5682 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I thought Stern still uses Churchill Cabinet Company (parent company of Chicago Gaming Co)

They used to but now that CGC is making pinball games (ie competition) I thought Stern moved its business. Not sure though.

#5698 3 years ago

I just heard rumors on Sterns next pinball game: IbreakUfix

1 week later
#5820 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I don’t consider ”raised“ inserts an issue. They have no impact on play feel or durability. It’s your money though so if you want to worry about that instead of enjoying your game... you’re absolutely allowed to do that.

This is why Stern keeps pumping out the current quality level - people keep buying regardless.

2 weeks later
#6037 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

When I unboxed my game and saw this written on the cover of the manual, I knew they had cheaped out since my last game. I think I have reasonable expectations but the quality now is just unacceptable. You're not even gambling hoping to get a good game. They're all cheap now.
[quoted image]

Exactly why I sold all 7 of my (latest) Stern LEs in the last 12 months. (Life’s short - not worth my time / hassle). Stern does not give a shit so I sold them. I have 1 Stern game left AC/DC (wife loves band). I sent messages to leadership at Stern without success.

Good luck everyone. I really hope Stern rights the ship on quality. However looks like they would rather invest time in notes like this versus R&D on playfield development & processes. I have confidence they will fix in the long term or be out business.

1 month later
#6425 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

So tell me just what has been cut from there games in the last ten years

I would say there has been several cost cutting moves by pinball. However some have led to improvements as well.

1. Mono target vs drop targets. Enough said!

2. Silk screen real back glass. One could argue translites last forever now

3. Silk screen cabinets vs sticker decals on them.

4. Playfield silkscreen versus digital printing them. I am not sure if this has led to some of the playfield quality issues lately.

5. New Stern Lockdown bars vs previous lockdown bars with associated mechanic interlock bar. The new mechs for sure are cheaper here - however I think better.

6. SAM system vs Spike system. Cheaper node boards meant to be through away technology versus board repair capabilities. Verdict is still out - I would guess people are 50/50 on this one. I like SAMs instant on vs booting up Spike. Longevity verdict is still out on Spike - we just don’t have the runtime. Byproduct is less wire required under playfield- saves too.

7. Playfields used to have the holes routed out for posts years ago - especially around slings etc. maybe they should add this back in - no pooling would happen!

8. Playfield wood. Cheaper and thinner top/bottom layer. Some of this is cost decision, some of this is good wood is getting scarce (old vs new growth).

9. More spinners - ok this is personal preference!

And so on.....people can add to this!

So bottom line yes less cost in a number of cases; however, not all bad changes.

I do like what Elwin is doing lately versus the fan layout- outside box thinking helps.

Oh yeah - Stern needs to get in the modern age where you can customize your game with distributors: you can still have 3 base models - Pro, Prem/LE and SLE. Then allow people to customize decals and colored armor! Heck if you are powdered coating legs black - can’t you offer more colors as a choice, or blades or outer decals!!

#6434 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

With all the talk on wood these are a 2014 ST and a SW can you see any difference and yes I found there was one quite a surprise I must say

Do tell?

Wood filled in between sheets is less dense I hear.

Can’t see the number of layers or top layer thickness in one of the photos.

#6443 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Most of this is just preferences or speculation. Quality of some of the materials may be in question but it's not like things are just flat out missing. It would be great if every game was loaded with drops, spinners, diverters, magnets, mirrored backglass, and complex toys but there are limits to everything. Plus, Stern has made improvements in art, lighting, display/animation, and game code. Ten years ago Stern was making IM, Avatar, and BBH. I would definitely say things are improving overall.

Thank goodness prices are improving as well from IM, Avatar and BBH.

1 month later
#6561 3 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Speaking of playfield defects. Pal of mine unboxed AIQ LE this weekend and found what appears to be a burn mark or a wood defect near the apron in the shooter lane that made it past Stern's QA.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Isn’t that just the next layer of the wood? If smooth to your fingers than it is. The plywood wood is made up of multiple layers.

#6572 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Its worrying that along that entire process all those different people said "yep, good enough".

Standard Stern quality.

1 week later
#6733 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Jeebus cripes. Look, I don't have an engineering degree but I'm over flowing with common sense which tends to be more useful than an engineering degree.
They can't get this fixed apparently so use the same setup as Stern did all those many years ago. Seriously this is just ludicrous they aren't smart enough to realize they already have a better band aid. Counter sunk t-nut and skinny post.
https://www.ipdb.org/images/4858/image-2.jpg

Surprised they did not go back to counter sunk posts like they used to do. This eliminates all those issues.

2 months later
#7389 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL that is not planking. Planking is mostly seen on older games and is when over time the grain will lift up through the paint. The image you show the wood grain has not lifted you can call it what you will but it is not planking

Ribbing....either way shit workmanship. However, when you produce that many playfields they have not figured out how to make all this work yet....

#7396 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Stern need to change the Grit on their drum sanding machine from 50 to 120.

Yup.
Man inspect them - poor quality control

3 weeks later
#7518 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So here is my issue. You almost cannot tell the gap because in pics it is hard to see where the playfield touches the straight edge (and that IS a perfectly straight edge). But look at the far left ball guide. It is like 1/5 of an inch dipping! And it keeps dipping more as the side goes on. The balls can literally not be saved from outlane drains! If it wasn't infuriating it would almost be funny.
Unlike many here, I'd be thrilled as hell if Stern could replace this with a playfield. I'd gladly populate it myself, as it would be far better than this!
[quoted image]

Did you buy this new this way?
Or did someone pass on?
May be worth a claim to see what they say.

Overall crap.

3 weeks later
#7764 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Wonderful. So back to the question at hand. Do I wait to play it?

Little over 1 month, but I typically Wait 3 months

1 week later
#7897 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Give it another 18 months and I bet that playfield looks smooth as glass after those dimples flatten out.

Gave me a chuckle! Nice.

#7943 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Some of you suggest that if enough Pinsiders stop buying NIB games completely until playfield issues are eliminated, then JJP and Stern will have to address the root cause of the problem to restore those lost sales.
Back in the '90s, when new games were sold mostly to operators, B/W would reduce pricing to close out small quantities of remaining NIB pins once they had moved the line on to the next new title. Operators caught on to this practice and quite a few started holding off buying new titles and waited for the close out pricing. As a result all of a sudden B/W had 1000 unsold NIB pins out of a run of 4000. Their answer was to reduce upcoming runs to 3000 and say "screw 'em" to ops that held off and missed out.
Although a much larger percentage of NIB pins are now sold to homeowners, Pinsiders are just a subset of that group. If a Pinside NIB boycott did affect sales to a noticeable amount, I suspect Stern would just compensate by reducing the inital run size of the next new titles. And if the smaller lot size cost them more for the parts, then Stern would just raise the list price of the games to cover the parts increases. And with fewer NIB sales there would be less used of those titles for sale HUO down the road.

I hear ya; however if enough home owners did this just for a few titles in a row that would catch Sterns eye....

Now back to reality.... must people say 1 thing and then when the next pinball title comes out they buy buy buy.

So I think we take the opposite approach. Encourage people to buy everything sight unseen. Drive Sterns numbers up and your odds of getting a good game increase. Well maybe?!

#7946 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

cpr9999 How about you start buying more NIB again and I'll cut back. That should even the universe out and then your basement might start looking more like mine and mine more like yours.
Or maybe you could buy a few games from me .... You need more games in your basement so you can host our friends when things improve out there. I should probably have a few less and and buy a couch to sit on downstairs. Or if you have too many couches I can buy one of those from you. Not sure about a NIB couch. But then again reluctant on HUO couches unless you know the seller or it's a relative.

You have a deal as long as you sell at ASOA prices!

But you actually have to give me the machines!!

1 month later
#8033 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

lol - please stop... get an iron man new in box, play 1800 balls the report back if you see dimples or not. Then report back in 3000 games.

lol - then report back on 4000 games on chipping, wrinkles, craters....

Can’t deny new growth wood, clearcoats, printing process, etc have changed. I know Stern is facing cost increases vs higher quality playfields.

Here is great video to watch what smaller run manufacturers are able to provide:

https://m.facebook.com/buthamburg.de/videos/874644590025528/

Spooky is using a great playfield manufacturer too.

#8068 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I finally got a replacement jurassic Park playfield from Stern. Not sure when/if I'll ever get around to swapping it at this point as it came like 5 months later than it was supposed to, but at least the quality of the replacement looks better as far as I can tell. I really wish they'd look at the playfields before installing them... I wonder if some of them get damaged when building the machines. There's one or two spots on my original playfield that have little gouges that make me think a screwdriver or something nicked it or some tool was dropped. I doubt they're going to take it apart when they're halfway done if something like that happens.

Let is sit for at least 5 months - maybe a year...if you ever decide to install it.
That clear will be rock solid by then.

1 week later
#8132 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

So you have never had any issues with any NIB machine?

His farsighted reading is like +5 so everything looks great. Sees what he only needs to see.

1 week later
#8182 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I tend to disagree. Any issues I have had to deal with on new and even old games my distributor has professionally and to my liking dealt with. Granted I don't call because a ball is stuck or I see a dimple in my playfield but in general they have always been a valuable support for me.

Now you have to tell us who your distributor is...

#8188 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Proudly! They Earned it! #Kingpingames or if he is out #Flipnoutpinball. Both Christopher and Zach have always been honest, fair, and supportive. Don't need to be a power buyer with either just give them the opportunity to Earn your business and they do so with no concern. Easy as it gets.

I have not used either but will give them a shot next time. I will have to look into the state tax side of this though.

#8226 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

My chipping spread past the factory sent black rubber washers, so your logic is good till it goes past, then what?

Can you buy these on credit card from distributor and then get your Visa company involved for deception and a credit?

Has anyone done this?

1 month later
#8749 2 years ago

Having the metal post snug with the wood hole - would make a stronger joint and cause less movement versus sloppy hole with post torqued on a washer to hold it in place.

Would like to hear Vid’s thoughts.

#8765 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Posts are never snug in the hole where T-Nuts are used (the T-nut barrel actually sits in the hole)
Posts that are snug should be posts that are only held on with a nylon nut.
I haven't looked at which posts these are in our game... but even if they are using a t-nut post vs a post w/nut - it's not 'why' the PFs are chipping - other playfields that have mechs or posts move don't chip like this. They gouge or wear. Which is why we get that halo of missing paint under posts in nearly every game of the last decades after enough play/age.
Even posts that are press fit and take direct flipper shots usually end up bending or working their way loose. And again on those PFs we don't get the topcoat pulling and chipping.

Quoted from vid1900:

All of us guys who have been servicing pinball machines for 40 plus years know that those metal mini posts are always loose on games.
Every time you go out to a new clients place of business it is guaranteed those posts will be loose.
Often times the posts are really loose, because someone has put a #6 post into a #8 hole
So you always have to loc-tite them and make sure that the correct post is installed
Never in the tens of thousands of games that I have serviced, have I ever seen 25 mm of paint chip away around a loose post.
The loose post always wears a tiny ring the exact diameter of the post. It does not lift all the surrounding ink and clear off, lol
Doesn't matter if it's an OEM or a CPR playfield, the results are the same.
These games have had millions of balls run over them, and the metal posts are inches away from the flippers:
Crap playfields can't even survive a few thousand balls, let alone millions

Just thinking - is the big difference from the past that the larger hole is covered by washer then torqued down by the post? Versus past when they had no washer so there was less area of movement on the playfield?

If you look at those older playfields they are worn on the area of the post - if there was a bigger hole and a washer would the wear circle be bigger?

Of course I would certainly say the new digital printing/ clear coats are way different today.

SOMEONE out there find a spacer sleeve to slip in the hole and then tighten down the post - see if it wears any better.

#8816 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

13+ years of always doing uv inkjet printing for restorations (early days), & new playfields the last 8 years. Never had pooling, chipping, or delamination of ink. Stuff is being rushed, or not cured properly. That is why some with problem playfields, but not all the same. Loose posts do not help with sloppy holes, but that is not the main problem.
Wood has moisture problems, not cleaned prior to sealing of wood, maybe not enough sealing coat(s), UV CURING BULBS GOING BAD!, finish clear when YOU CAN STILL SMELL THE INK!, or finish clear applied to heavy or quickly between coats (off gasing).

Sounds like a few of these playfield manufacturers need to take some lessons.

#8834 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It would have no effect.

Just curious on the length of time.....

Big Lebowski playfields were made by Mirco and sat for years. Those "old, new stock" playfields (of the dozen I have seen installed) are dimple proof, rock solid.

Thinking the years of sitting around help.....versus today.....get the new playfields and immediately build them into populated playfields and ship.

3 weeks later
#8957 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

These are pictures from my recently purchase Elvira’s HOH. I noticed what appeared to be some small scratches near the middle of the playfield early on (10-15 plays in). It isnt as noticeable in darker light but yesterday in better light I took some pictures which I’m posting here (this game has about 60-70 plays so far).
Is this normal or a clear coat imperfection? I haven’t purchased many NIB games and not sure if this is me nitpicking or something I should be concerned about long term and report to my distributor and Stern. There appear to be small scratch trails from the middle area which you should be able to see if you enlarge the pictures a bit.
Any insight is appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Check your balls....for scratches...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Salida, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 28.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cpr9999.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=cpr9999 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.