Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,655 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 5.56.53?PM (resized).png
    real-triops.png
    large.jpg
    Dumb_20Donald_large (resized).jpg
    b302c800109bbb31265fc1394a1859ee (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_5521 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 4.51.56 PM (resized).png
    main-qimg-0d72a7a361a3a9943b69a29c9c4ca561-pjlq (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1090 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dasvis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#362 5 years ago
    Quoted from DDandB-KID:

A lone, lone time ago... The Coors brewery would have free tours and free all you can drink beer.
    [quoted image]

Good times.
    Went on the Olympia brewery tour back in the day & they had a tasting room at the end... as much free beer as you wantedoly tour (resized).jpgoly tour (resized).jpg

oly label (resized).jpgoly label (resized).jpg
    #403 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You know you are old when you remember taking driver education class in high school and you got to watch...
    Signal 30 !
    How many remember all of the old cars ?

We watched "Mechanized death" Good stuff.

#411 5 years ago

& then there were the movies in health class...... remember "Boys beware"?

Hold on, is that Trudeau in that car?

2 weeks later
    #502 5 years ago

"The FBI - In Color - A Quinn- Martin Production"
    .zimbalist (resized).jpgzimbalist (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #613 5 years ago

Bah, who needs a new stylus. Just stack more pennies on it.

2 weeks later
    #694 5 years ago

Last time I was in for an exam, my Dr said I had the best looking bunghole he had seen all day..... of course, I was his first patient...

#736 5 years ago

I'm turning 60 today, am I in the club?

#753 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I was seven years old when the 60s ended, so what I remember from that decade is the first run of Hot Wheels, the golden era of Saturday morning cartoons, slot cars and electric trains, Diver Dan, the dawning of the age of Aquarius, Schwinn Stingrays, a mile long group of hippies walking down the street with signs, and riding in the back of the station wagon with no seat belts. And of course pinball machines every where.
    I'm sure I missed a few things, but it is late.

I was there in the back of the '66 Bonneville wagon going the other way..... Still have my Aurora Thunderjet HO car collection.

#779 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The only thing I have left that I got in the 60s are a few photos and my Odd Rod stickers.

I still have complete sets of both Odd rods & Odder odd rods, plus multiples of the rare ones... used to buy cases of these as a kid and trade & sell them.

#780 5 years ago

Looks like a Pea picker crate

#785 5 years ago

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

Cool, I can't wait.

2 weeks later
    #866 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Anyone else put one of these on their antenna?
    [quoted image]
    Its not all that old, but it was a freebie that I remember getting at one point.

I have one on the antenna of my 1964 Thunderbird convertible right now.

1 month later
    #1040 5 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Years ago, our local Hostess outlet store would run a set of coupons in the paper - boxed snacks $2 each, individually wrapped snacks 25¢ each, boxes of cookies etc. I would use every single coupon and come home with bags full of cupcakes and fruit pies and suzie q's and ding dongs..... it was glorious.

I a co-worker bite into a Hostess fruit pie & bugs came out.

2 weeks later
    #1059 5 years ago
    Quoted from neemypeemy:

I can attest for the Squirrel Buster plus.. bought in 2009 and has been in direct Florida sunlight every day. .

My Squirrel buster plus works better than yours.....
    ruger (resized).jpgruger (resized).jpg

This is how we dispatch those little bastards out here in Oregon.

#1068 5 years ago
    Quoted from Greenandwhite:

You look at old ticket stubs from 90’s concerts and see $25 face value.

... Or you look at 1980's stubs & see $15~20 face value...

2 weeks later
    #1094 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

If you had one of these in your car.
    [quoted image]

I had a mid-1960's Olds 98 convertible with one of those that was factory equipment.

#1112 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

How many were "Members" of the Columbia record and tape club, multiple times?

Once was enough for me...

2 months later
    3 months later
    #1211 4 years ago
    Quoted from icanswim70:

Say what you want, but i'm 24 and know/remember 90% of this stuff

Bah, you probably could not use a rotary dial phone or deal with MS-DOS

#1234 4 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I live in a rural area. Even so, we have all the modern stuff like internet and electricity (in most places ).
    Even so I about fell over the other day when I went into the post office for a money order and the postmaster heaved one of these check stamping machines from under the counter to stamp the order.
    [quoted image]
    I had not seen one of those since the 80s when my parents used one at the family business!

I have a check writing machine exactly like that in my garage if you want it.

2 weeks later
    #1264 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

You left out the classic...
    "Back in my day..."
    But then I suppose you have to be REALLY old for that one!

... & we liked it.

#1271 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Yeah, and they don't make cars liked they used to. Used to be if the car was a convertible and the top got torn, then is was salvage yard curtains. 50,000 miles and you needed an engine overhaul. 60,000 miles and the transmission went out. In 3 years of being on the road the paint job was gone. And you were lucky the car was not a bucket of rust.
    Yeah, they don't make them like they used to. I sure do miss buying a car with 36 monthly payments only to watch the car self-destruct after that last payment was made

Tell me about it. It was great!!
    We had an auto parts store & a machine shop in the heyday of crappy cars. -- the good old days $$$$

9 months later
    #1721 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I went to the beer store in my pajamas today....I just didn't care., that's a sign right?

How I imagine Canadian beer stores

#1741 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I used to order from there way back in the day. Got a convertible top for my Galaxie 500 XL from them and the catalogs never stopped coming... well they finally did stop coming.
    This whole parts deal with the Jeep and the record heat is making me take pause on the project. That and drinking out in the garage till 3:00 AM.

What parts are you having trouble coming up with O-din? Jeeps should be a cake walk. I have a '47 CJ2A Willys & from what I have seen you could build one from the frame up with new parts if you have deep enough pockets.

#1743 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When I built my last 401 powered CJ7 about 15 to 20 years ago, I installed a T-18 4 speed out of a full size truck using Novak's input shaft kit. Been so long I had forgotten where I got it till yesterday. To top it off, the trucks had 11 inch clutches and at the time I had to search super hard, but found one and put it in the CJ.
    Everything else for the engines and such came from a one stop PAW catalog. I have certain brands of parts I like to use and there is no more one stop shop to get them all at a good price. I've ordered from so many different sellers over the last couple weeks I lost track. And the new version of the 11 clutch is now a worthless piece of made in Korea junk that wasn't assembled correctly and won't work with an AMC flywheel period. And the pilot bearing is also off a bit. I'm just going with whatever Novak has for a 10.5 clutch now. The 11 inch is now officially obsolete.

Novak knows their shit, I would go with whatever they recommend.

We had an auto parts store & machine shop back in the day. Used to be that aftermarket parts were almost always better than OEM. Not the always the case anymore. I watched many good old trusted brands get bought out, then the buyer sourced garbage overseas parts & rode out the brand until people figured it out. Time & time again I saw this happen.

#1745 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Almost all those cool little independent auto parts stores with a machine shop in the back that sold the best quality parts are mostly history around here now. .

Yeah, that's why I got out of it. No way you could compete on pricing with the big chain stores. They got all of the gravy & we got all of the oddball hard to find parts & research projects that required an experienced counterperson.

What all did you have to do to the 401? That had to have been an expensive job - those were not cheap to do even back in the day.

3 weeks later
    #1908 3 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Went to Whities yesterday, as in Castle.
    Got a #1Combo: 4 sliders, fry, pop and
    a medium onion chip. Just under $10.
    You know you are old when...
    You can remember getting 3X more
    for 3X less than what I paid.
    Fast food ain't what it used to be
    that's for sure.

That's for sure. I remember a local burger joint - Bob's burgers - had a little rotating sign above their main sign that said "19 cent burgers"

1 week later
    #1954 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

You know your old when you take your dog for a walk and find a Un used pooper scooper
    In someone's recycling bin. So happy I raised it in the air like a conquering centurian!
    [quoted image]

That's livin

3 months later
    #2257 3 years ago

Sounds like we got us a convoy.

#2264 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When you move back and forth between the couch and bed and randomly take in a 3 AM episode of Cannon before you finally get some sleep.

I prefer The Rockford files

#2291 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

We had the avocado green.
    I tried to get into "The Wonder Years", but can't remember dealing with any bitch quite like Winnie Cooper.

I thought she was (& is) a hottie.

2 weeks later
    2 weeks later
    #2506 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How many remember when people had front yard lighst that were lit with gas? 24/7 those gas lights stayed lit. And now, come to think of it, I have not seen a front yard light in either gas or electric for years.

I had one that was still hooked up when we moved into our house 23 years ago.

2 months later
    #2838 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I hate movies with constant unrealistic escapes from death, superheroes or not.
    Just semi-suffered through WW84 before it goes away from HBOMax after today. .

EXACTLY. I cannot watch those new "super hero" movies.
    I'm old, but come on!

2 months later
    #3162 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know you’re old if you remember cops pulling up on you when you were drinking underage in your car with your girlfriend, and they just poured it out and told you to go home.

Heck yeah, several times...... thems were the days

4 months later
    #3523 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

My wife is not strong enough to hold the weight of a 5 gallon gas can and simultaneously hold an interlock button.
    That makes it where I am the only person that gets to use the stupid thing and I hate it and refuse to use it.
    The whole situation becomes dangerous to the point where gas can be spilled and is just stupid.
    Our government at work to "improve" our lives.
    If that makes me old, so be it.

"safety" gas cans SUCK. Period.

2 months later
    #3800 2 years ago

Rule is -
    If you buy a pin & mange to hide it for six months, it is beyond the statute of limitations.

1 month later
    #3951 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Wonder when they will display Big road signs like gas stations bartering the best price

Well, they already do in Oregon.......

5 months later
    #4824 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Has anyone gone to see Top Gun Maverick? If so, what did you think?
    I have an IMAX theatre near me. I'm thinking going to see it in IMAX.

Meh

#4872 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

You know you're old when you turn 58, like me today! (shameless birthday plug)

Wish I was only 58........

4 months later
    #5372 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

... when you drop something on the floor but decide it's not really in your way where it is right now, so you'll get to it in a day or two.

I always throw a $5 bill down next to it to make it worth picking up

5 months later
    #5656 1 year ago

I saw George Thorogood last night!

#5658 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How many remember when your car's sound system consisted of one speaker in a hole in the dash?
    AM Radio ?
    [quoted image]

My 1970 Ford Bronco had the radio delete option... did not even have a cutout in the dash for a radio........

#5663 1 year ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

My first car was a 1959 Ford truck. It did'nt have seat belts or even a heater. The heater was a option.

The passenger seat in my '47 Willys CJ2A was an option......

1 week later
    #5746 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Did you ever go to a concert and they handed out earplugs?

Yes -- The King of surf guitar - Dick Dale, @ Squirrel's tavern in Corvallis, Oregon.
    What a fantastic show!

1 month later
    #5865 11 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The big guy, James Arness (Marshal Matt Dillon), would be turning 100 years old tomorrow.
    He passed away in 2011 at 88.

My mom went to grade school with him, said he was kind of a wierdo.

3 weeks later
    #5916 10 months ago

I would go see Santana......

3 weeks later
    #5983 9 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Lifetime senior pass is $80 and annual is $20....

Lifetime senior pass was like $10 the year before I was eligible, dammit

3 months later
    #6370 5 months ago

7 more house payments & I will be done!

#6396 5 months ago

When my daughter was a baby I used to bounce her on my knee & sing the theme to Rawhide....
    We took her on her first pony ride & she starts singing Rawhide. Cracked me up.

1 week later
    #6466 5 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I have a huge stash

I scored a 5 gallon bucket of them from a youngster who collects pin & LED's every one. Incandescent all the way baby!

#6479 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sadder than that and less in the news is we lost one of our landmarks last week. One of the giant WWII hangars down in Irvine. I remember when those were the only things that were there. Now I hear asbestos has filled the air.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, we lost one of two blimp hangers to fire in Tillamook, Oregon a few years back. sucks

1 week later
    #6590 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

At least we still got our Jeeps.

Yeah, & at least the cheese factory is still standing

Quoted from o-din:

When you wake up in the middle of the night and turn on Cannon, then you hear the Jaws attack theme during one upbeat moment, and you wonder which came first.
    Not sure that makes you old, but watching reruns of Cannon at three in the morning probably does while you wait for Barnaby Jones to come on.

Umm, even KNOWING who Barnacle Groans is makes you old, Odin

#6599 5 months ago

+1, Man from U.N.C.L.E was the shit back in the day.

#6604 5 months ago

The FBI ....... in color.

#6638 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

it was a Zenith with a space command remote.

We got our Zenith in '69 for the moon landing. I recall those "space commander" remotes worked off of sound chimes inside. If you shook your keys it would change channels on the TV.

1 week later
    #6715 4 months ago

March 5, 1977 - a buddy & I had a contest to see who could drink a six pack of colt 45 first.
    I won & then there was a bottle of spanada wine sitting there. We decided it would be a good idea to try that too. Big mistake.
    To this day I cannot drink wine of any type. Shudder...

spanada (resized).jpgspanada (resized).jpg

#6724 4 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You sound like a couple of commode hugging drunks

I resemble that remark......

1 week later
    #6774 4 months ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Sadly, I passed on one of these full size fiberglass Cornel Sanders statues at a garage sale years ago.
    What was I thinking?

#6775 4 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Slow news day.
    Dick Van Dyke. 98
    Mel Brookes 97
    Robert Wagner. 93
    Tanya Tucker. 65

Will Robert Wagner ever confess to the murder?

#6776 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'll report back as soon as I know more.

Well? If it was good, post the recipe

1 month later
    #7083 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I also remember owning and working on quality compact vehicles from the 70s.[quoted image]

Toyota rules!

#7102 89 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I mean, I'd stay up if it was the Deadly Dolls episode

Really, who wouldn't ?

2 weeks later
    #7285 74 days ago

My badass 2 stroke enduro - 1978 Yamaha DT400E
    xx 001 (resized).jpgxx 001 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
    #7414 46 days ago

My all time fave Don Martin
    rain sing (resized).jpgrain sing (resized).jpg

#7436 45 days ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I still have the rolling paper in the Big Bamboo album.

As do I

#7446 44 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Advisory: If you have sinus problems and take some of the over the counter antihistamines so you can breathe, be aware that those OTC medicines can affect how your urinary tracts operates.

Good to know.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dasvis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=dasvis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.