Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,627 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 minutes ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

main-qimg-0d72a7a361a3a9943b69a29c9c4ca561-pjlq (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1090 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    There are 7,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 153.
    #651 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When you know what this is and you know that is not called a can opener and it is not a bottle opener but goes by a different name.
    Good times down fishing at the riverbank.
    [quoted image]

Hallelujah brother!

#652 5 years ago

...you remember when you could run like the wind. Now, you just break like the wind!

#653 5 years ago

I remember a lot of this old shit, but some comments lead me to believe I'm not an actual member of this club.

#654 5 years ago

you call in the cops to have multiple vehicles towed for parking in front of your house for extended periods of time.
    you build a great wall of straw between neighbors driveway to reduce noise from your neighbors POS ricer honder that wakes you up at 3:30am 5 days a week.
    you don't really care about dating anymore, because lets face it being 40+ and single is impossible.
    you are too tired to clean up the house anymore, tired of doing chores for the last 40+ years by yourself.
    you never buy new clothes or go shopping, because it sucks anyways and why buy new clothes if the old ones still fit.
    you never text, and actually prefer to speak to customers, friends, and family on the phone like a real normal person
    you bitch every year about property sales tax...why do we still pay this after you buy the house?
    you talk amongst people about how kids these days have no respect for elders or anybody
    you would rather drink a 6 pack of beer at your house, vs go to the bar and socialize
    you would rather just watch the game on tv, vs go to the game'
    you stop caring about politics, because lets be honest...our votes really don't matter
    you begin to tell yourself, "if i'm 60 and a greeter at walmart i might as well just overdose on heroin"
    you begin to realize that all life is is paying bills, and staying afloat
    you 'member' the good ole days before all of the software and hardware that we have now that connects us all, yet really is disconnecting us.
    you realize that you only have maybe 10-20 years of life left possibly
    you really start thinking about retirement, or the fact that you will never be able to retire
    you are concerned that you will never see social security (if you live to be that old anyway) because the government is already paying YOURS out right now.
    you are reminded that your best days are behind you, as your body just can't bounce off the ground anymore and recovery time is 5 times what it used to be.

#655 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I remember a lot of this old shit, but some comments lead me to believe I'm not an actual member of this club.

Ahhh...What was that, sonny ?

#656 5 years ago

When you were a kid and your mom drug you to a funeral and before you could get outathere all the old people had to stand around and talk about their aches and pains. And now, you are the one standing around talking about your aches and pains.

#657 5 years ago

When you leave work early each and every Friday to, pray tell, head to the Golden Horn and watch this gorgeous gal swallow paste like only she can...

#658 5 years ago

Tractor Doc has been getting some good mileage from this thread. I have past my prime when my driving ambition is to get this thread to 999 so TD can say something on post #1000.

I suppose I should go get a job

#659 5 years ago

When someone in the restaurant (pub) anonymously pays for your dinner...happened to my wife and me on Monday. The waitress said he was peeling off hundreds and maybe he won the lotto...all I know is he bought dinner and drinks for my wife and me (mid sixties) and one other table nearby (group in their eighties)...I was appreciative but felt OLD...Couldn't even thank him...he waited for the waitress to tell me until he and his wife were gone...very nice of them.

#660 5 years ago

When you search the internet to see if you can find a bottle of Delaware Punch.

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg
    #661 5 years ago

My dad once told me you know you are getting old when the only funeral left to go to is your own.

#662 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Tractor Doc has been getting some good mileage from this thread. I have past my prime when my driving ambition is to get this thread to 999 so TD can say something on post #1000.

Its lasted longer than I thought. . . in fact longer than any other thread I've started. I've tried a number of pinball specific threads but none of them seem to catch on or my ideas are just not that interesting. You have been a good contributor cottonm4 !

Quoted from Hogey:

When someone in the restaurant (pub) anonymously pays for your dinner...happened to my wife and me on Monday. The waitress said he was peeling off hundreds and maybe he won the lotto...all I know is he bought dinner and drinks for my wife and me (mid sixties) and one other table nearby (group in their eighties)...I was appreciative but felt OLD...Couldn't even thank him...he waited for the waitress to tell me until he and his wife were gone...very nice of them.

I did this for a fella on Father's Day this year at our local Denny's. (Only the finest for breakfast here). Wife and I were halfway thru eating when I noticed an older fella sitting by himself a couple tables over. Covered his tab on the way out -- never really mentioned it to anyone before here but maybe it means I'm not quite that old. . . yet! I always wondered if I should have started a conversation or gave a friendly smile instead of trying to buy a little happiness for someone -- at the same time I know some folks would rather be left alone and my anonymity could have been the best approach. Hogey -- we are both in Ohio but I was not the guy that bought your dinner Monday. . . I am not at a point where I can start peeling off 100s .

As far as feeling old goes. . . earlier in the week I tried changing the fuel filter on the SUV used as a work vehicle. There are supposed to be some sort of quick connect couplings holding it on that I found were anything but. After about 30 minutes of crawling around under the car with bits of rust dropping down, scraped knuckles, and a couple curse words I thought "Im too old for this" and promptly called the local shop down the street.

#663 5 years ago

When your friends are coming over to watch a movie to get in the Halloween spirit. And you go out and buy DVD's.

#664 5 years ago

When you seek out the rattiest playable EM in a joint and its fun. Too bad there are too few "Joints" around.
    When you order colored incandescents to make a game "The way it really was in 1970" (pick your date).
    You switch from a cell phone to a cordless to a landline during a long call (minutes run out on the cell, batteries run out on the cordless).

#665 5 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

When you seek out the rattiest playable EM in a joint and its fun. Too bad there are too few "Joints" around.
    When you order colored incandescents to make a game "The way it really was in 1970" (pick your date).
    You switch from a cell phone to a cordless to a landline during a long call (minutes run out on the cell, batteries run out on the cordless).

Just the fact that there is a generation who may not know what you mean by cordless is scary

#666 5 years ago

When there were no remote control TVs.

When your farmer grandparents had a party line.

When calling someone long distance was a major (and expensive) affair. And when you remember Roger Miller (Roger who?) singing "Reach out and touch someone."

When there was no Captain Crunch.

When you were driving your old car in the rain then stepped on the gas to speed up and your wipers quit working.

#667 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When your farmer grandparents had a party line.

My parents had a party line. . . granted I grew up in the middle of nowhere. Rotary phones too.

Quoted from cottonm4:

When calling someone long distance was a major (and expensive) affair.

I don't think you even need to dial "1" before a long distance call anymore. Remember when you could call your neighbor without dialing the area code?

#668 5 years ago

Much more recent than party lines etc...but who remembers dialing your own number and hanging up cuz it made your own phone ring?

Used to do that with my brothers.. early 2 way? Lol

#669 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

who remembers dialing your own number and hanging up cuz it made your vown phone ring?

it was a generic number like 853-1212, or maybe that was time. There were both. "At the tone the time will be, half past a monkey's ass"

More recently, and this might be local only, if you remember making a local call without having to dial your own area code first. Blame Disneyland for that one! They couldn't conform to change area code or something. Yes all local calls are 11 digits now. You sort of get used to it after a while. We are well trained rats.

#670 5 years ago

The kids raid your closet looking for vintage clothing for the upcoming Halloween parties.

#671 5 years ago

When your kids were little they'd leave adds and pictures around the house of things they'd like for Christmas or Birthday.

Now you are finding adds and pictures for nursing homes and crematoriums.

LTG : )

#672 5 years ago

When someone calls to say someone died and instead of getting all crying and weepy and saying stupid shit like how did he die etc. you just look at your watch and ask when the funeral is. and then go back to your TV show.

#673 5 years ago

When you realize that call about someone dying you know means they are happier now then they were prior to that phone call.

#674 5 years ago

You knew what was coming next when you heard, "Attention Kmart shoppers....." over the PA.

#675 5 years ago

When you still think of heading to Sears for some thing a ma jig...

#676 5 years ago

You remember a clerk in a hardware store helping you. Things like cut pipe or thread it. No charge if you bought the pipe.

#677 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You remember a clerk in a hardware store helping you. Things like cut pipe or thread it. No charge if you bought the pipe.

Yeah ! And you could buy nails by the pound and fill a sack. Now you get a bubble pak with 10 nails.

#678 5 years ago

You went to a 1 room country school with no running water , we used a outdoor hand pump to get drinking water and outhouse to take a dump but i always tell my kids i was the smartest kid in my class

#679 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Yeah ! And you could buy nails by the pound and fill a sack. Now you get a bubble pak with 10 nails.

At $10 a pack.

#680 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

At $10 a pack.

And not made in a quality fashion... to put it nicely.

#681 5 years ago

Anyone remember drinking Hawaiian punch from the giant tin can?

#682 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rabbit:

Anyone remember drinking Hawaiian punch from the giant tin can?

I was usually one to drink the Kool-Aid. I always liked the commercials where the Kool-Aid Man busted thru a wall.

Kool-Aid.gifKool-Aid.gif

There was always Tang in the cabinet as well. If it was good enough for the astronauts it was good enough for me!

pasted_image.pngpasted_image.png

#683 5 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #684 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I was usually one to drink the Kool-Aid. I always liked the commercials where the Kool-Aid Man busted thru a wall.
    [quoted image]
    There was always Tang in the cabinet as well. If it was good enough for the astronauts it was good enough for me!
    [quoted image]

Sort of off-topic to your Tang. Tang was for the astronauts. They were announced April 9,1959 (ain't Google fantastic?).
    I was born in 1952. The first time I remember Tang was around 1960, or do.

So here is my question: I have a small town newspaper that my mother saved that had and advertisement announcing my dad's opening of his auto repair shop. The paper is dated Thursday, May 15, 1952. I had to make this scan in 3 pics that I cannot remember why.

The first pic shows the date. The second pic shows items for sale at the local grocery store. The third pic picks up at pineapple juice. Down at the bottom you will see an ad for Tang at 45 cents for a 12 oz. tin.

So, if Tang was for the astronauts in 1959, what the hell is this Tang that I have an ad for in a 1952 newspaper? I have been scratching my head over this since I found this old paper in a pile of my mother's things 10 years ago.

Any thoughts, you old gray hairs?

Wikipedia says Tang did not hit the scene until 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_(drink)

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 10.21.40 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-15 at 10.21.40 PM (resized).png

IMG_0875 (resized).JPGIMG_0875 (resized).JPGIMG_0877 (resized).JPGIMG_0877 (resized).JPGIMG_0878 (resized).JPGIMG_0878 (resized).JPG
    #685 5 years ago

12 ounce tin may have been a different product.

#686 5 years ago

Guys, remember to schedule your Cardiology appointments. This is serious stuff when you get older. I'm not that old but I I have valvular heart disease and had a stroke. Take care of yourselves, please.

#687 5 years ago

When you show up for your gastroenterologist and he knows you by your first name... and can list off everything he found last time without reading the files.

#688 5 years ago

.....you realize you are no longer young

#689 5 years ago

I've had my ass checked twice. Does that make me old?

#690 5 years ago

No, but it makes you a perfect a’hole.

#691 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've had my ass checked twice. Does that make me old?

looking at yourself in the dressing room mirror does not count.

#692 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

looking at yourself in the dressing room mirror does not count.

Sadly, at my age, I have no ass left.

#693 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Sadly, at my age, I have no ass left.

Looking back, I've never had much of one to begin with.

#694 5 years ago

Last time I was in for an exam, my Dr said I had the best looking bunghole he had seen all day..... of course, I was his first patient...

#695 5 years ago

You are so hungry you stop at McDonald's order a Big Mac and think to yourself, ..this just isn't packaged like it used to.

NMAH-AHB2010q73252 (resized).jpgNMAH-AHB2010q73252 (resized).jpg
    #696 5 years ago

Watching baseball playoff series, so
    you know you're old if you remember no AL DH, and you're really old if you remember no divisional play; just the World Series between the first place teams in the AL and NL.

#697 5 years ago

none better

3D8123455CA1490AB3A1928363A2D7A8 (resized).jpg3D8123455CA1490AB3A1928363A2D7A8 (resized).jpg

If you like chocolate and sugar

FULL-10oz-CHOCOLATE-SOLDIER-ACL-SODA-BOTTLE-DORAVILLE (resized).jpgFULL-10oz-CHOCOLATE-SOLDIER-ACL-SODA-BOTTLE-DORAVILLE (resized).jpg

From the land of sky blue waters.........

My mom used to drag me to church. My dad would stop off at the bar with me in tow. I always liked those Hamm's beer signs with the moving waters.

#698 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

When you don't know that Home Depot offers this for its customers today.

Quoted from dasvis:

Last time I was in for an exam, my Dr said I had the best looking bunghole he had seen all day..... of course, I was his first patient...

And when Kool cigarettes were the coolest of them all, they were really good when playing King Kool!

#699 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

And when Kool cigarettes were the coolest of them all, they were really good when playing King Kool!

My dad smoked Winston and Salem. I smoked Winston and Salem, too

#700 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

When you don't know that Home Depot offers this for its customers today.

It's somehow not quite the same though....
    And overall, honestly? WAY LESS help....
    Old school hardware used to care and help and have knowledge....
    Modern is teenage goofs who do what they can....

There are 7,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.