Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,576 posts
  • 443 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    giphy.gif
    Superpower_(2023)-60523_(cropped) (resized).jpg
    2fe4ea9a16a4608d2fe59bca6c2f0202584bbaf8a68dfff2331ffd7302dad30e_1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1656 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 7,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 152.
    #1101 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Gawd. There is a bunch of old farts hanging around here

I have been called that.

#1102 5 years ago

I was standing inline at McDonalds today when 2 guys (older then me geezers) paid cash for their coffee. Out came that change purse...first the quarters then the dime then the nickle then the pennies...each guy did this. People please! do not become these guys when you get older. What is it with old people that hate loose change? Never the dollar bills...if it is $1.67..then it's 1 dollar then dig for the "exact" change..hold everyone up (rant) Old ladies do this too, usually loose change in the bottom of their purse..one by one by one. It is a old thing.

This is what these guys used.

geezer (resized).jpggeezer (resized).jpg
    #1103 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I was standing inline at McDonalds today when 2 guys (older then me geezers) paid cash for their coffee. Out came that change purse...first the quarters then the dime then the nickle then the pennies...each guy did this. People please! do not become these guys when you get older. What is it with old people that hate loose change? Never the dollar bills...if it is $1.67..then it's 1 dollar then dig for the "exact" change..hold everyone up (rant) Old ladies do this too, usually loose change in the bottom of their purse..one by one by one. It is a old thing.
    [quoted image]

HEY!
    If it costs a buck sixty-seven
    then $1.67 is what yer' gonna' get!!

#1104 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

HEY!
    If it costs a buck sixty-seven
    then $1.67 is what yer' gonna' get!!

Oh, Was that you
    Can't you just use $2 and get the change??

#1105 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

do not become these guys when you get older. What is it with old people that hate loose change? Never the dollar bills...if it is $1.67..then it's 1 dollar then dig for the "exact" change..hold everyone up (rant)

I think you meant to post this in the "you know you are young" thread, showing you have no patience waiting behind old people.

#1106 5 years ago

That is true. But there is someone that is always older and I try to remind myself not to do certain things as I age. But, I thank you for making me feel younger.

#1107 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I was standing inline at McDonalds today when 2 guys (older then me geezers) paid cash for their coffee. Out came that change purse...first the quarters then the dime then the nickle then the pennies...each guy did this. People please! do not become these guys when you get older. What is it with old people that hate loose change? Never the dollar bills...if it is $1.67..then it's 1 dollar then dig for the "exact" change..hold everyone up (rant)

Hmmm,

I always pay in exact change when I can. When I don't have enough of the silver coins I at least try to get the pennies right. I usually have to fumble the coins out of my pocket. . . maybe I need one of those mollusk action money holders?

#1108 5 years ago

Doc, you need one of these.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #1109 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Oh, Was that you
    Can't you just use $2 and get the change??

I'm like you. I'll just hand over two dollars and when I get home I toss my loose change in an old coal bucket. And tomorrow is another new day with folding money. After the coal bucket gets too heavy, I bag the change and trot it over to the bank. The banker pours all my coin into the coin counter. When the count is done, he hands me a money deposited slip. No muss. No fuss. And no charge. I give the bank $100.00 of coin and I make a $100.00 deposit.

Now, in Ft. Worth where my sister-in-law banks, there is no such thing as a free coin counting service for loyal bank clients. I'm not sure what the bank's rate is but it us enough that sister-in-law BITCHES about it a lot.

And then, if you do not have a banking account, you can use the Coin Star change machines at the grocery stores for the bargain rate of 11.90%. Give Coin Star $100.00 worth of pennies and your negative return is $88.00.

So, while you stew about some old dude counting pennies, you might think about cutting him a little slack so you don't force him to take the Coin Star bite.

I have not seen one of those plastic change purses for years.

#1110 5 years ago
    Quoted from Onevox:

Doc, you need one of these.

Tempted, but I don't see a 50 cent dispenser on that one. I usually keep a couple on hand to confuse the young'uns from time to time at the register. Most have never seen one in person.

#1111 5 years ago

How many were "Members" of the Columbia record and tape club, multiple times?

#1112 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Once was enough for me...

#1113 5 years ago

I use dollar coins to really confuse em!

#1114 5 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Once was enough for me...

laughing-cartoon-you-want-it-when (resized).jpglaughing-cartoon-you-want-it-when (resized).jpg

#1115 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Shoot, i joined that thing at least 3 or 4 times....12 cd's for a penny, buy one for $9.99, cancel membership.....rinse and repeat.....

#1116 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

And then, if you do not have a banking account, you can use the Coin Star change machines at the grocery stores for the bargain rate of 11.90%. Give Coin Star $100.00 worth of pennies and your negative return is $88.00.

Nah. I just get an Amazon gift card. No fee.
    https://www.coinstar.com/giftcards

#1117 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Really make their eyes big with one of these:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Once you convince them its real they always want to buy/keep it from the drawer to show their friends.

#1118 5 years ago

#1119 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mister-Whiskers:

I wear socks with my sandals and do not care what anyone else thinks.

You feind!

#1120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I occasionally get dollar coins from vending machines in change.

#1121 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Shoot, i joined that thing at least 3 or 4 times....12 cd's for a penny, buy one for $9.99, cancel membership.....rinse and repeat.....

CD's? What a youngster.
    I used to get 8-Tracks to use in the car.

#1122 5 years ago

Stopped up at Wal-Mart this afternoon to get oil and a filter to service the Jeep tomorrow. While navigating thru the store I could hear a bunch of juveniles whooping and hollering at each other across the aisles. Old Moment #1 -- Mumbled something to myself about damn kids these days not knowing when to be seen and not heard.

Walked up to the checkout line. Somehow said juveniles were gathered in front of the only lit lane looking at the energy drinks in the cooler, blocking the aisle. They looked at me and without saying a word turned, took their time deciding which can of snake venom or dragon adrenaline to buy (ok, it was probably only 10 seconds or so), then walked up to the cashier. Old Moment #2 -- Muttered something to myself about kids not having any manners these days.

Amazingly they paid in cash. No change purses emerged, just paper bills. As they were handed their change a half hearted attempt was made at dropping said change into a pocket -- most of it ended up on the floor but the kids just walked away. Old Moment #3 -- Thought to myself kids have no appreciation for the value of a dollar these days. I picked the change up and scored thirty four cents.

As I was leaving the parking lot I could not help but notice the beer bottle that had been placed smack dab in the middle of the turning lane I was about to drive thru. I did not see them do it, but thought it very likely that the same standout group carried out the act (not many people at the store/in the parking lot today). Not sure if it was an old moment or not, but just said out loud to myself "Idiots" and shook my head.

Made it back home here at Elderly Acres -- the older I get the less I want to go out and interact with the public. Darn Whipper-Snappers!

#1123 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

[quoted image]

What sucks is if they kept the change after the guys paid $1.67 for their coffee the last 2 days they still each would only have $.66. That would mean a penny short on the third day back for coffee. There will be extra digging and hunting for their penny which isn't there and then the look at the person at the counter of "you have an extra penny back there you can pitch in?"

#1124 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

What sucks is if they kept the change after the guys paid $1.67 for their coffee the last 2 days they still each would only have $.66. That would mean a penny short on the third day back for coffee. There will be extra digging and hunting for their penny which isn't there and then the look at the person at the counter of "you have an extra penny back there you can pitch in?"

Remember these? "If you need a penny take one"

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 11.00.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-18 at 11.00.46 AM (resized).png

At risk of you all saying I am full of it I will tell you a story about these little penny trays that you used to see at cash registers around the country.

It was 1977. I like to do two things. I like to read and I like to hit the flea markets. I was at the local flea market and bought a box full of old Reader's Digest magazines/books. Some of them were from the 50s. Not long after, I left my home of Wichita Kansas and headed up to Hastings Nebraska to run a small self-service gas station and convenience store for my uncle. It was a sub-lease deal. He helped my out but I was on my own. It was my first experience in running a business, and other then previous jobs at a fast food joint, my first experience in retail. Retail is all about making change for a dollar. During some of my off-time I would dig into that box of old Reader's Digests.

Reader's Digest used to have (I have not read a RD for decades) these little lifestyle stories called "Humor in Uniform", Life in the United States", and some others lost to memory. I was reading one of these stories and the author wrote about how he/she was in a restaurant and at the register digging in his pocket for a penny. And the guy at the register said, "That's OK. Here is a penny" and he reached for a penny in a tray by the register. A sign on the tray said, "If you need a penny, take one. If you have a penny, leave one." The author noted that there were a lot of pennies in that tray.

Since I was in retail and making change all day long, I thought this sounded like a fantastic idea.

I made up a small tray and placed in by my register. It worked fairly well. My biggest problem was the neighborhood kids who kept trying to raid the tray so they could buy some candy.

It was not too long before I noticed that my competitors (competitors go into each others stores and buying something to check each other out) were putting out these penny trays at their registers. It was not too long and they were all over town.

One thing I learned about retail business is that it is a lot of long hours with no real days off and I was not making any money. So, after about 10 months I got out of the gas/convenience store business. I came home to Kansas. And I started seeing those penny trays everywhere in my neck of the woods. And then one day I saw one that was green in color and emblazoned with the Skoal tobacco logo. Not long after I started seeing others with commercials logos.

Eventually, they died out.

I never have told this story. Mainly because it sounds like bullshit. But also because it is not exactly something you can build a conversation around ---in any social setting. I mean, you might as well start out with "Once upon a time........."

But, there you have it.

#1125 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Remember these? "If you need a penny take one"
    [quoted image]
    At risk of you all saying I am full of it I will tell you a story about these little penny trays that you used to see at cash registers around the country.
    It was 1977. I like to do two things. I like to read and I like to hit the flea markets. I was at the local flea market and bought a box full of old Reader's Digest magazines/books. Some of them were from the 50s. Not long after, I left my home of Wichita Kansas and headed up to Hastings Nebraska to run a small self-service gas station and convenience store for my uncle. It was a sub-lease deal. He helped my out but I was on my own. It was my first experience in running a business, and other then previous jobs at a fast food joint, my first experience in retail. Retail is all about making change for a dollar. During some of my off-time I would dig into that box of old Reader's Digests.
    Reader's Digest used to have (I have not read a RD for decades) these little lifestyle stories called "Humor in Uniform", Life in the United States", and some others lost to memory. I was reading one of these stories and the author wrote about how he/she was in a restaurant and at the register digging in his pocket for a penny. And the guy at the register said, "That's OK. Here is a penny" and he reached for a penny in a tray by the register. A sign on the tray said, "If you need a penny, take one. If you have a penny, leave one." The author noted that there were a lot of pennies in that tray.
    Since I was in retail and making change all day long, I thought this sounded like a fantastic idea.
    I made up a small tray and placed in by my register. It worked fairly well. My biggest problem was the neighborhood kids who kept trying to raid the tray so they could buy some candy.
    It was not too long before I noticed that my competitors (competitors go into each others stores and buying something to check each other out) were putting out these penny trays at their registers. It was not too long and they were all over town.
    One thing I learned about retail business is that it is a lot of long hours with no real days off and I was not making any money. So, after about 10 months I got out of the gas/convenience store business. I came home to Kansas. And I started seeing those penny trays everywhere in my neck of the woods. And then one day I saw one that was green in color and emblazoned with the Skoal tobacco logo. Not long after I started seeing others with commercials logos.
    Eventually, they died out.
    I never have told this story. Mainly because it sounds like bullshit. But also because it is not exactly something you can build a conversation around ---in any social setting. I mean, you might as well start out with "Once upon a time........."
    But, there you have it.

These trays are still all over the place. At least in my area.

#1126 5 years ago

I still see those penny trays around Wisconsin. Especially Kwik Trip gas stations.

#1127 5 years ago

All around Northeast Ohio as well.

Only difference is nowadays I see pennies, nickels, dimes and the occasional quarter in them. I personally try not to use the pennies from the dish, but when I do I try to replace them at my next visit. The cashier here at the local town store thinks I'm nuts.

#1128 5 years ago

I never heard a story or heard talk about penny trays before. BION!

I am going to start to put a penny in a tray each time I see one. My way of giving back.

#1129 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I never heard a story or heard talk about penny trays before. BION!
    I am going to start to put a penny in a tray each time I see one. My way of giving back.

That's very generous of you

#1130 5 years ago

Have a pinball, leave a pinball?

Gotta go make me a BIG tray!

I swear gas station by me has a blue one advertising state Lotto on it! (Penny tray....not pinny tray. Lol).

#1131 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

That's very generous of you

I mean I would put a nickel in the trays as I see them, but you know - the economy and stuff.

#1132 5 years ago

... you signal as you approach your driveway...

#1133 5 years ago

You grunt when you bend over to tie your shoes......

#1134 5 years ago

You continue to buy the same title. Should be here Friday. Can’t wait!

#1135 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

... you signal as you approach your driveway...

How 'bout when you leave your driveway? I've done that a time or two. . . . . . but I have not left the signal on after doing so.

#1136 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

How 'bout when you leave your driveway? I've done that a time or two. . . . . . but I have not left the signal on after doing so.

Yeah but when you back out of your driveway in reverse using your blinker may be a little overkill

#1137 5 years ago

When you told yourself this morning not to bother checking the mail box today because it's a federal holiday. And then later you go ahead and check it anyway!
    (Followed by a quick glance around the neighborhood to see if anyone saw you do it.)

#1138 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Have a pinball, leave a pinball?
    Gotta go make me a BIG tray!

I swear gas station by me has a blue one advertising state Lotto on it! (Penny tray....not pinny tray. Lol).

Here ya go. Google Search to the rescue. And to think I have not seen one of these penny trays for years.

Penny-Tray_21131454 (resized).jpgPenny-Tray_21131454 (resized).jpg4_s (resized).jpg4_s (resized).jpgimgres (resized).jpgimgres (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpgtake-a-penny-tray-point-of-purchase-1 (resized).jpgtake-a-penny-tray-point-of-purchase-1 (resized).jpg

Take-A-Penny-Tray (resized).pngTake-A-Penny-Tray (resized).png
    #1139 5 years ago

Yeah in Wisconsin they’re at every store.

Know when you’re getting old? Two words..
    Silver Foxes Yowzee!

Edit: actually I’ve always liked silver foxes, so never mind.

#1140 5 years ago

I knew my game was changing when I saw a sweet young thing and thought to myself, "If I were 30 years younger......."

#1141 5 years ago

Don't see these on checkout counters much these days.

il_fullxfull.1784701928_fnvc (resized).jpgil_fullxfull.1784701928_fnvc (resized).jpg
    #1142 5 years ago

I was never a smoker but I do remember seeing these at bars and bowling alleys. When I was younger (gramps took me into the bars with him -- try that today!) I associated vending machines with gumballs or a little toy in one of those plastic pods so of course I was drawn to it no matter what the contents. I stole the picture from the web -- nice leg reflection to whomever took the pic.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1143 5 years ago

As a kid, I usually could get a matchbook out of the machine for free if the previous person didn’t bother.

#1144 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yes, you probably need to be really old to know what this is all about.
    [quoted image]

My dad told me they used to do this in school, its a bomb drill. As if hiding under a desk could save you from a nuke.

Last week I was taking the dog back to my grandfathers house and they were having a bomb drill, they were taking a school full of elementary kids down the street into a neighborhood. I thought it was ridiculous, a few teachers responsible for keeping up with a school full of kids out in the open streets with cars everywhere.

#1145 5 years ago

Here is one for you. I treat my grand daughter like she is my own. I go to play places with her and run in and out of all the stuff. I take her to the Dr when I need to and do whatever needs to be done sometimes with my daughter sometimes without. We used to get the weirdest stares from people then I figured it out. The Dr thought that I was the babies father and that I was some creepy cradle robber who knocked up a 19 year old girl. My daughter told the Dr that the father wasn't in the picture and she carefully said " I thought the older gentleman was the father". She was relieved when my daughter told her that I was the grandfather. But why she thought I was a gentleman Ill never know.

#1146 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

they were having a bomb drill,

A bomb drill? For what ??!!!!!!!. How do you know it was a bomb drill and not just a filed day?

#1147 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

A bomb drill? For what ??!!!!!!!. How do you know it was a bomb drill and not just a filed day?

no one files outside. that would be done in an office.

#1148 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I asked. They were blocking traffic walking every kid in the school4-5 blocks down the street. I had to wait till every kid was across the street then creep down the road to avoid running over a kid because they were all over the place. I asked what was going on and was just amazed when she told me. I said: " So you are going to endanger every kid in this school by walking them down the road into a neighborhood for a bomb drill when all you had to do was walk them over to the vacant lot, which was huge, next door". She said yes sir and you have to wait till they are all across the street before you can go. I was pissed and I called the superintendents office and I was told it was a new policy because of the recent bombings and school shootings. Ok then, you cant beat that logic.

#1149 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I asked. They were blocking traffic walking every kid in the school4-5 blocks down the street. I had to wait till every kid was across the street then creep down the road to avoid running over a kid because they were all over the place. I asked what was going on and was just amazed when she told me. I said: " So you are going to endanger every kid in this school by walking them down the road into a neighborhood for a bomb drill when all you had to do was walk them over to the vacant lot, which was huge, next door". She said yes sir and you have to wait till they are all across the street before you can go. I was pissed and I called the superintendents office and I was told it was a new policy because of the recent bombings and school shootings. Ok then, you cant beat that logic.

OK. Now I get it.

I'm sorry. I was confused ( I older I get the more I stay confused). When you said "bomb drill" I was thinking the 1950s civil defense stuff with kids ducking and covering that was mentioned earlier. I was not thinking in 21st Century mode where we have idiots shooting and bombing people and children about every two weeks.

#1150 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

OK. Now I get it.
    I'm sorry. I was confused ( I older I get the more I stay confused). When you said "bomb drill" I was thinking the 1950s civil defense stuff with kids ducking and covering that was mentioned earlier. I was not thinking in 21st Century mode where we have idiots shooting and bombing people and children about every two weeks.

The original pic of the kids under the desk was a bomb drill in the 50s. I’m referring to something I witnessed last year.

There are 7,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 152.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.