Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,597 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    giphy.gif
    Superpower_(2023)-60523_(cropped) (resized).jpg
    2fe4ea9a16a4608d2fe59bca6c2f0202584bbaf8a68dfff2331ffd7302dad30e_1 (resized).jpg
    There are 7,597 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 152.
    #3501 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I'll say. Today we can watch the live evacuation of Afghanistan.

Unbelievable. United States should have taken over the country and split in 3 with China and Russia. Look at the marble heads running the country now??? I bet most of the population would drift to the United States. Democracy is freedom.

#3502 2 years ago

I am very pissed about the gay flag painted as a main walkway. I don't care if anyone is gay. ..but why is gay being shouted over heterosexual? ? I just don't get it.
    Lynn Dollin. ..your dumb and my vote is gone.
    The ideal lab in town is also connected to gayness. Is being gay a fn secret club or something????

#3503 2 years ago

My neighbour is on town council and I'm going to ask her Wtf. ..I didn't see an open council meeting. I would of stood there all night to have it shoved in the ground. No need to have sex reference on a cross walk. What About: old fashioned Cross With Caution ?

#3504 2 years ago

I'm going to fight for my own crosswalk. Wish me Luck. This should be fun.

#3505 2 years ago

" man and woman walking hand in hand crosswalk is my choice . Choose your path !!!!! So stupid.

#3506 2 years ago

Huh, maybe I'm not old after all...

#3507 2 years ago

YKYAOW;
    You go to great lengths (much greater than normal people) to keep something Vintage working.
    Something Utility, like a lawn mower or your Dads hedging shears or Grandpas Railroad tape.
    You use this stuff when others would sell it at a flea market or hang it on the wall.
    When you reach the Car, Pinball or Tube Radio its on a different level.
    I have 2 Simplicity/ Allis Chalmers garden tractors from the mid-60's.
    Restored the Simplicity Landlord to show status, went one time. Since then I have worked the hades out of it.
    Snow blade, driveway grader. Boat and car Tow.
    Mainly, its been a mower. Decks are hard to come by for these things so sandblasted and 3-step POR paint process.
    I regularly mowed 4 Acres till I got tired of "Seat time" This thing has been pounded.
    All my neighbors have zero turns. But this thing will be fixed and working.
    Anyone else using Antique/Vintage utility items? Do they belong in the "As long as I am living" Camp?
    Forget to mention my favorite Estwing framing hammer.

#3508 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Grandpas Railroad tap

What is Grandpa's Railroad tape?

I have a vintage 1 metal gallon gasoline can with a fixed pour tube/spout that puts these plastic flexible spouts to shame. It is the handiest gas can I have ever used. EZ pour with no spills. I'd like to find a couple more.

Looks like this one.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 5.11.39 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-08-21 at 5.11.39 PM (resized).png

#3509 2 years ago

Speaking of gas cans, how many remember when people used to take 1 gallon glass jugs to the station and fill them with gas?

#3510 2 years ago

I still do sometimes, for my old moped and the random molotov cocktail.

#3511 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What is Grandpa's Railroad tape?
    I have a vintage 1 metal gallon gasoline can with a fixed pour tube/spout that puts these plastic flexible spouts to shame. It is the handiest gas can I have ever used. EZ pour with no spills. I'd like to find a couple more.
    Looks like this one.
    [quoted image]

A railroad Engineers personal watch and tape measure had to be approved. You have probably seen them, leather bound, cloth tape measure that winds by hand back in to the case.

Agree on the gas can, what a great specimen! I have a collection of gas cans and outboard motor fuel cans and only use the older ones.
    I have one plastic can with the regular non epa spout.
    Those epa spouts are really bad, surprised they haven't come up with another design.

#3512 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

A railroad Engineers personal watch and tape measure had to be approved. You have probably seen them, leather bound, cloth tape measure that winds by hand back in to the case.

I know about RR watches. Accuracy. Time scheduling is more important than money to a rail road.

My mom had a cloth tape she used for sewing but I don't think this is what you are talking about.

Why would a rail roader need a tape measure? For measuring packages and determining freight rates?

#3513 2 years ago

These guys were installing/replacing track in the 30's.

He was a Field Engineer, in charge of a huge crew. Sorry for the confusion.
    The Cloth on this tape was really heavy and durable, with a water resistant coating on it.
    I would show a photo but unfortunately it was destroyed a few years ago.
    I used it my whole life before that.
    Still have his lantern and steam punk safety glasses. Use both of these. The watch went to the oldest son.

#3514 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I know about RR watches. Accuracy. Time scheduling is more important than money to a rail road.
    My mom had a cloth tape she used for sewing but I don't think this is what you are talking about.
    Why would a rail roader need a tape measure? For measuring packages and determining freight rates?

Yes, certified accuracy was a plus, most of them had a lock on the winding dial to prevent the Owner from re-setting them.
    They were set at the Office which had the tool to remove the lock.

#3515 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I drove thru our local college town yesterday; it must be orientation as all the optimistic new students were walking around campus with their parents. I must not know how to "age" people any more as most of the students looked like they should be in Middle Grade School vs. college.
    I remember back to thinking when 30 was old.
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"907853d1210cf440e73c76963d9ce2a7e728e9ec-1629648262-1800"};
    //]]>

To me age is a state of mind -- I usually don't think about it but every now and again I get reminders that I'm not the young buck anymore.
    A couple more off the top of my head -- You know you are old when:
    You make noise when you sit down (or stand up).
    Your kids can fix all your IT issues.
    You can afford to buy a pinball machine!
    Anyone else have any more to add?

how old are you brother?

#3516 2 years ago

you know you are old when you break a sweat clearing a clogged drain.

Or pretty much anything besides reading a book or watching tv.

#3517 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Or pretty much anything besides reading a book or watching tv.

I am sweating as I type this. 70 degrees in here and I also have a box fan set on high blowing in my face. I'm 69 (Heh, Heh.) and the sweating gets worse every year. Any season. Any temperature.

#3518 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I am sweating as I type this. 70 degrees in here and I also have a box fan set on high blowing in my face. I'm 69 (Heh, Heh.) and the sweating gets worse every year. Any season. Any temperature.

Glad I'm not the only one here pushing 70. I was 69 11 days ago. Life is good.

#3519 2 years ago

You know you are getting old when your daughter tells you that you are turning into your father with your eating habits and other general mannerisms.
    My father passed away in 2013.

#3520 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Speaking of gas cans, how many remember when people used to take 1 gallon glass jugs to the station and fill them with gas?

I still watch garage sales for older gas cans in good shape.
    These new 5 gallon plastic gas cans with the safety interlock on the spout are a pain and I refuse to use them.
    Perhaps that makes me old or just cantankerous in general.
    It is difficult to me to ascertain what is "getting old" and what is just generally making me upset with new innovations.

#3521 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I still watch garage sales for older gas cans in good shape.
    These new 5 gallon plastic gas cans with the safety interlock on the spout are a pain and I refuse to use them.
    Perhaps that makes me old or just cantankerous in general.
    It is difficult to me to ascertain what is "getting old" and what is just generally making me upset with new innovations.

Get this one at Walmart.You press the button and gas comes out fast.No press down interlock
    9E7EDCB5-B56F-4FC2-8552-E6DBFDCE0A78 (resized).jpeg9E7EDCB5-B56F-4FC2-8552-E6DBFDCE0A78 (resized).jpeg

#3522 2 years ago

My wife is not strong enough to hold the weight of a 5 gallon gas can and simultaneously hold an interlock button.
    That makes it where I am the only person that gets to use the stupid thing and I hate it and refuse to use it.
    The whole situation becomes dangerous to the point where gas can be spilled and is just stupid.
    Our government at work to "improve" our lives.
    If that makes me old, so be it.

#3523 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

My wife is not strong enough to hold the weight of a 5 gallon gas can and simultaneously hold an interlock button.
    That makes it where I am the only person that gets to use the stupid thing and I hate it and refuse to use it.
    The whole situation becomes dangerous to the point where gas can be spilled and is just stupid.
    Our government at work to "improve" our lives.
    If that makes me old, so be it.

"safety" gas cans SUCK. Period.

#3524 2 years ago

You know your old when you bash yourself over the head for ordering taco bell.

20210823_145839 (resized).jpg20210823_145839 (resized).jpg
    #3525 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

You know your old when you bash yourself over the head for ordering taco bell.
    [quoted image]

NOPE!!!

#3526 2 years ago

Never again...thought I would throw out a life raft to Tcao Bell,

#3527 2 years ago

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.Having retired a year ago and being home with the dogs all day I learned a few things.And the most important thing is that naps are awesome.They were right all along.Thanks buddies.

#3528 2 years ago

The life raft of me with taco bell yearning for an exit. Get your act together Taco Bell !!

IMG_5951 (resized).jpgIMG_5951 (resized).jpgIMG_5982 (resized).jpgIMG_5982 (resized).jpg
    #3529 2 years ago

Ref: binary flag on main cross walk to town beach.
    Dear Lynn Dollin Mayor of Innisfil who lives far away from the huge gay flag and unlikely to come to alcona except to suck up for votes. Was anyone advised this was happening. I fail to see it listed on the town council public agenda. When is the next election ? Ideal lab is involved again with town decisions ? Just a curious old timer.
    Look good ?

#3530 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Ref: binary flag on main cross walk to town beach.
    Dear Lynn Dollin Mayor of Innisfil who lives far away from the huge gay flag and unlikely to come to alcona except to suck up for votes. Was anyone advised this was happening. I fail to see it listed on the town council public agenda. When is the next election ? Ideal lab is involved again with town decisions ? Just a curious old timer.
    Look good ?

Way to stick to big world problems Darrin..now how bout going back, spending some time/energy n fixing your em game u hoser!

#3531 2 years ago

You know you’re old when you see one of these and you get excited. I’d love to find an old 10-13” color TV with a good tube. Must have knobs!

6A023F37-189D-4E21-8510-23E3E693B537 (resized).jpeg6A023F37-189D-4E21-8510-23E3E693B537 (resized).jpeg
    #3532 2 years ago

I’d like to buy
    The world a coke

#3533 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know you’re old when you see one of these and you get excited. I’d love to find an old 10-13” color TV with a good tube. Must have knobs!
    [quoted image]

Surely, you are joking Or are we going to see American Pickers show up to look into your backyard museum of old CRT TVs?

#3534 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I’d like to buy
    The world a coke

And sing in harmony.

LTG : )

#3535 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

My father had a TV like this for years. He refused to purchase a TV with a remote control. He said that it was not required and a waste of money. Whenever he wanted to change the channel, he just ordered me to get up and make the appropriate adjustments. I became an expert at tuning in local UHF channels at a very young age.

#3536 2 years ago

Punch the sesame street button channel on the corded controller box.
    1 2 3 4 5 6_ 7 8 9 10_ 11.12.....that was the sesame street pinball video theme!
    My hooper here.

#3537 2 years ago

I loved sesame street more than anything in the world except the kmart toy store. My mom goes on to this day how I would grab the exit poles and refuse to leave.

#3538 2 years ago

Edit ..had a few drinky poos.

#3539 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Surely, you are joking

Or are we going to see American Pickers show up to look into your backyard museum of old CRT TVs?

Did you ever see the Taxi episode where Reverend Jim had a wall of CRT TVs? He was ahead of his time!

31396CB1-880B-42B4-B250-3639BBF13001 (resized).png31396CB1-880B-42B4-B250-3639BBF13001 (resized).png78D54F9F-579F-462E-B04B-90B3D6D0FEB2 (resized).png78D54F9F-579F-462E-B04B-90B3D6D0FEB2 (resized).png
    #3540 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

Im old enough to remember when a Sony Trinitron was the best Tv you could get.

I had an in at Sony and got a huge one for cost in the 90s, it weighed more than a car.

Did have a great picture for the time though.

#3541 2 years ago

I’m a Quasar man, myself. I’m pretty sure we had this exact model.

#3542 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Did you ever see the Taxi episode where Reverend Jim had a wall of CRT TVs? He was ahead of his time![quoted image][quoted image]

No, during the 80s I was going to school in daytime, working full time with overtime. TV was not big on my menu back then. But I remember the pawn shops and thrift stores were wall to ceiling with CRT TVs when the big screens started getting price reasonable.

Something else I used to see a lot of was VHS players. Nowadays, you hardly see a VHS player. I have a couple of spares.

#3543 2 years ago

I had a friend who called his wife Quasar because she had her works in her drawers

#3544 2 years ago

When you start thinking in terms of how many more of your favorite rock stars you will outlive.

#3545 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Im old enough to remember when a Sony Trinitron was the best Tv you could get.
    I had an in at Sony and got a huge one for cost in the 90s, it weighed more than a car.
    Did have a great picture for the time though.

Quoted from swampfire:

RCA for me.
    We were the last to get a color TV
    in not just the neighborhood,
    but it seemed the whole city.
    When we finally did get one, I could
    not have been happier. It was football season.
    I was in front of that thing
    from pregame to the final play of the day,
    each and every week.
    Finally, the NFL in all its glorious color!

#3546 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I was the kid that used to look around the block and check out the trash pile to see if any TV's or other electronic devices were put out. I would bring them back home, take them apart and extract all electronic parts and pieces that were not damaged. I kept the components in a file cabinet to use for any projects that I might want to build. I also repaired our TV from time to time. I recall building an phone answering machine out of some of those junk pieces before that type of device was available to purchase. That one used a 300 baud modem that fit the muffs on the phone and I ran a BBS (bulletin board system) that ran on BASIC on my home computer. I recall purchasing a Hayes 1200 baud auto answer modem and thought it was a fantastic device to replace my jumble of electronics. When the internet got started, I thought it was a fad that would pass, just like cell phones. I also thought that AOL was a complete waste of money when you could just make a local phone call to a computer and send messages over packet communication with a modem. That probably makes me realize that I am old.

#3547 2 years ago
    0BCEE473-F58A-45DF-8795-A3C213A28AB3 (resized).jpeg0BCEE473-F58A-45DF-8795-A3C213A28AB3 (resized).jpeg
    #3548 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

0BCEE473-F58A-45DF-8795-A3C213A28AB3 (resized).jpeg

Who remembers no buckles.

LTG : )

#3549 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Who remembers no buckles.

That and cigarette butts all over the floor at the grocery store.

#3550 2 years ago

Late 50s and early 60s, to keep their cars looking nice, people started putting on clear vinyl/plastic seat covers. Those covers were sun magnets and when you left the swimming pool in your swim wear to go home you needed a towel to sit on.

There are 7,597 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 152.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.