1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,299 posts
  • 220 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by wolverinetuner
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 208 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 7.10.04 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 7.09.22 PM (resized).png
    Shower Chair (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 12.26.41 AM (resized).png
    costume-guide-e1564234720220 (resized).jpg
    20180605_164047_LI (resized).jpg
    check stamper (resized).png
    images (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    C157A142-692C-4A29-A083-65C79C06442B (resized).jpeg
    2kL3sFT (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    il_fullxfull.1784701928_fnvc (resized).jpg
    Take-A-Penny-Tray (resized).png
    4_s (resized).jpg

There are 1299 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 26.
    #851 1 year ago

$2.50 used to fill up my wife's Fiat..

#852 1 year ago

When your favorite new bands from high school are now being played in elevators and grocery stores.

#853 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I remember using them when I was pumping gas. But it meant an extra trip back to the building to rake the card.
    What I remember most is hearing, "A dollar's worth of regular".

"Regular" is 87 octane unleaded right!?

#854 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

You go from being a young guy who wants an experienced older woman, to an old guy who wants an inexperienced younger woman.

But you wouldn't go there anyway because you know they would laugh too hard!

Quoted from mcclad:

You feel bad for the "Agony of defeat" Wide World of Sports skier guy, instead of thinking it was funny.

His name is Vinko Bogataj, and he was actually unhurt in that horrific spill.

...you remember when LED was always followed by ZEPPELIN!

#855 1 year ago

You knew when your sister was home because when you ran out your bedroom door you got "clothes lined".

room cord (resized).jpg

#856 1 year ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

"Regular" is 87 octane unleaded right!?

No. It was 24.9 cents per gallon

#859 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Gas wars.
    LTG : )

Gas wars now mean how fast they can raise the price if a storm or something is on the way.

#860 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Gas wars.
    LTG : )

So you all remember when there used to be four gas stations on one corner.

Flats fixed $1.00

#861 1 year ago

You know you're old when your self winding watch stops by 3 PM every day.

#862 1 year ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

You know you're old when your self winding watch stops by 3 PM every day.

Or if you are wearing a watch these days. . .

#863 1 year ago

I remember when there were no self-serve gas stations. Attendants would check your oil level and air for your tires was free.

#864 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

So you all remember when there used to be four gas stations on one corner.
    Flats fixed $1.00

I used to go to the gas station to get my inner tube patched and it was a quarter. I'd always ask for STP stickers as they were free.

#865 1 year ago

Anyone else put one of these on their antenna?

Its not all that old, but it was a freebie that I remember getting at one point.

#866 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Anyone else put one of these on their antenna?
    [quoted image]
    Its not all that old, but it was a freebie that I remember getting at one point.

I have one on the antenna of my 1964 Thunderbird convertible right now.

#867 1 year ago

Don't ask me why, but I have a Flaming Eyeball topper on the FJ40.

#868 1 year ago

Back to the topic. . . Any gas stations out there still use one of these?

Cannot remember when they were phased out around here, but I miss the "Ding Ding" upon my arrival.

#869 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Don't ask me why, but I have a Flaming Eyeball topper on the FJ40.
    [quoted image]

Don't ask me why, but I LOVE eyeballs.

#870 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Back to the topic. . . Any gas stations out there still use one of these?
    [quoted image]
    Cannot remember when they were phased out around here, but I miss the "Ding Ding" upon my arrival.

Yes...Bucks Service Station, Tucson AZ

#871 1 year ago

I wear socks with my sandals and do not care what anyone else thinks.

#872 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mister-Whiskers:

I wear socks with my sandals and do not care what anyone else thinks.

I never understood that. Its like wearing a sweatshirt under a tank top.

#873 1 year ago

When you remember oil in a can

imgres (resized).jpg

and you opened it with one of these.

imgres-1 (resized).jpg

When the milk truck guy sat this in metal box on your porch.

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 11.54.41 AM (resized).png

When you got your ice from an aluminum ice cube tray.

vintage-metal-ice-tray (resized).jpg

When your mom's ice box...eh...refrigerator looked like this. With that "huge" freezer space.

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 12.01.44 PM (resized).png

#874 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

and you opened it with one of these.

I think I have one of those oil spouts new in the package somewhere.

Quoted from cottonm4:

When your mom's ice box...eh...refrigerator looked like this. With that "huge" freezer space.

I'll go one further -- we have one of these that was the grandparents' restored at home:

It currently has some books stored in it.

Speaking of books. . . (and maybe it was already mentioned) remember using the Dewey Decimal System to look up one in the library from a cabinet like this:

#875 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Speaking of books. . . (and maybe it was already mentioned) remember using the Dewey Decimal System to look up one in the library from a cabinet like this:

I miss those DDS boxes at the library. Somehow, searching on a computer is just not the same.

#876 1 year ago

That would be great for pinball spare parts

#877 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I miss those DDS boxes at the library.

You know you are old if you haven't even been in a library since they used those things.

#878 1 year ago

Or if the library you went to as a kid is now a museum....

museum (resized).jpg
    #879 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I miss those DDS boxes at the library. Somehow, searching on a computer is just not the same.

I think libraries had these -- before computers I remember having to look up part numbers for various pieces of construction equipment on Microfiche.
    I always thought the tiny little pictures on the "film" were so cool. I think we still have boxes of 'em at the family business somewhere. . . obsolete as everything is a couple clicks of the mouse on the computer now.

#880 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I think libraries had these -- before computers I remember having to look up part numbers for various pieces of construction equipment on Microfiche.
    I always thought the tiny little pictures on the "film" were so cool. I think we still have boxes of 'em at the family business somewhere. . . obsolete as everything is a couple clicks of the mouse on the computer now.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I forgot about microfiche.

#881 1 year ago

Mimeograph Machine! School days, made those blue copys. Remember? Can you smell the ink?
    We sure did.

copym (resized).jpg
    #882 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Or if the library you went to as a kid is now a museum....[quoted image]

My Junior High School is now a War Museum. The Gym and stage are still intact, everything else was changed. Exterior doors were moved, interior walls were taken out, they must of spent millions of dollars on it. The full scale dioramas are fantastic.

#883 1 year ago

That library got turned into a museum when the bigger, better library was built in the mid 70s.

The museum now has an ongoing Fender exhibit for quite a few years and is pretty neat to see.

So I guess you are old if you remember when Leo Fender used to hand build guitars a few blocks from where you grew up.
    fullerton-museum-center (resized).jpg

Fender (resized).jpg

#884 1 year ago

My dad had one of these but he never used it. Did anybody ever use these things?

IMG_8189 (resized).JPG

19273_large (resized).jpg

#885 1 year ago

How about those lawnmowers with the spring loaded crank? I remember my "life on the farm" grandma talking about how the local hardware guy was trying to sell her one of these. She said she told him that it just looked it would be something else to break. She said he looked at her and smiled. That was in 1966. I think these had a pretty short life.

url (resized).jpg

hqdefault (resized).jpg

#886 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

We still use microfiche today
    We also have a microfiche reader printer

#887 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My dad had one of these but he never used it. Did anybody ever use these things?

I think I still have one. . . it was my Grandfathers.

Quoted from cottonm4:

How about those lawnmowers with the spring loaded crank?

How about one of these?

I've never used one of the reel mowers, but the Amish around here still do. A lot of times the kids are pushing those things around the yard in their bare feet!

I do remember using one of those Lawn Boy Mowers with two wheels close together on one side. I cannot remember if it took an oil mix gas or not. . .

No safety stop bar on the handle of that baby!

#888 1 year ago

I had a little extra time tonight and started thinking..."What was that 1st pinball machine that I played in my uncles basement?"

He's dead and long passed now, so I had to just go through a ton of pictures...till I found this.. That's it!! (1950) woody. Wasn't very old when he got it.

I recall it was very colorful and fun to work up the score in lights. Wish I had it, but most are dust I would think.
    bankaball (resized).jpg

bank2 (resized).jpg
    #889 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

How about one of these?
    [quoted image]
    I've never used one of the reel mowers, but the Amish around here still do. A lot of times the kids are pushing those things around the yard in their bare feet!
    I do remember using one of those Lawn Boy Mowers with two wheels close together on one side. I cannot remember if it took an oil mix gas or not. . .
    [quoted image]

Yup. They were two-stroke engines.

#890 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I had a little extra time tonight and started thinking..."What was that 1st pinball machine that I played in my uncles basement?"
    He's dead and long passed now, so I had to just go through a ton of pictures...till I found this.. That's it!! (1950) woody. Wasn't very old when he got it.
    I recall it was very colorful and fun to work up the score in lights. Wish I had it, but most are dust I would think.[quoted image]

816 were produced in May 1950. 6 pinsiders own one. 5 pinsiders want one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/bank-a-ball

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=171&picno=168

#891 1 year ago

well, Might as well make it 6 pinsiders want one now. lol thx

#892 1 year ago

I bought a new pack of socks last week and I am really happy with how comfy they are and how good they make my feet feel. Ahhh...

I am only 47

#893 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I bought a new pack of socks last week and I am really happy with how comfy they are and how good they make my feet feel. Ahhh...
    I am only 47

Now you just have to buy some custom orthotics to go with those comfy new socks. I promise you, you'll seriously drool at how good your feet feel. I've had mine for 6 years.

I am only 49

QSS

#894 1 year ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

Now you just have to buy some custom orthotics to go with those comfy new socks. I promise you, you'll seriously drool at how good your feet feel. I've had mine for 6 years.
    I am only 49
    QSS

Agree. I got those lifts a little while ago also with my Hobbit feet I got from my Mom. The combo of the new socks and the lifts makes smile with every step. Man life is good! Thanks Hanes!

#895 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I bought a new pack of socks last week and I am really happy with how comfy they are and how good they make my feet feel.

I've been going with a wool or wool blend sock (especially in the winter months) for the last couple years and they have been fantastic. Feet stay warm even if they get wet. Comfortable too!

I'm not to the point of wearing compression socks just yet but have a pair in the drawer -- brother in law in the medical field says they are good to wear on plane flights.

#896 1 year ago

20's no pills
    30's few pills in cabinet
    40's more pills
    50's pills move to night stand
    60's set alarm 1 hr early so i can take pills, to be able to get up at all

#897 1 year ago

You know you're old when...
    Your fun, satirical thread turns into a discussion...
    ABOUT SOCKS!

#898 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I've been going with a wool or wool blend sock (especially in the winter months) for the last couple years and they have been fantastic. Feet stay warm even if they get wet. Comfortable too!

I like wool socks. I had some but the moths chewed them up. In the Navy I learned the wool dress uniform stayed warm when wet.

#899 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

How about one of these?
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

You're not that old if you've never used a reel mower...

#900 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

When your favorite new bands from high school are now being played in elevators and grocery stores.

I can add to this with a personal, true story. Both of my parents are in assisted living now but in different parts of the same facility. Most of the time everything is fine, but there are times I am walking those hallways and the hallway music is playing classic rock from the 80's...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 10.00
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 24.00
    $ 399.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 11.95
    There are 1299 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside