Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,609 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,609 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 153.
    #5651 1 year ago

I got to see The Yardbirds in 1966 or '67 when Jimmie Page was on lead guitar---and he used his violin bow trick . In our Cotillion with room capacity of about 1500 people.

This is just an internet picture, but I was up front, leaning on the edge of the stage. The stage floor was only about 3 feet above the dance floor. I could have reached out and touched the lead singer's, Keith Relf's shoes. It was close. And it was fun.

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 9.10.45 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-16 at 9.10.45 PM (resized).jpg

#5652 1 year ago

Our neighbors gave us their tickets to go see Earth, Wind and Fire tomorrow night. Gonna bring some hearing protection because we’re right in the orchestra pit.

#5653 1 year ago
    Quoted from tullster:

I saw AC/DC with Bonn Scott...Twice.

Saw AC/DC with Bonn Scott open for Rainbow.

#5654 1 year ago

A bit off topic, but Happy St. Paddy's Day to you all.
    Everyone is a little Irish today.
    An appropriate tune for the day.

#5655 1 year ago
    Quoted from tullster:

I saw AC/DC with Bonn Scott...Twice.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

I saw Ozzy Osbourne w Randy Rhoads 3 weeks before he died.

Quoted from jhanley:

I went to see Black Sabbath Sabotage in 1975 when I was 16.

This is amazing stuff. I can’t come close to that, but I did see Chicago with Terry Kath, 1970. Still remember it to this day, they were great.

#5656 1 year ago

I saw George Thorogood last night!

#5657 1 year ago

How many remember when your car's sound system consisted of one speaker in a hole in the dash?

AM Radio ?

Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 4.50.31 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-19 at 4.50.31 AM (resized).jpg

#5658 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How many remember when your car's sound system consisted of one speaker in a hole in the dash?
    AM Radio ?
    [quoted image]

My 1970 Ford Bronco had the radio delete option... did not even have a cutout in the dash for a radio........

#5659 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

AM Radio ?
    [quoted image]

And the 2 on the back ledge behind the back seat - get yourself some whoppin' 6x9s for back there!

#5660 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

And the 2 on the back ledge behind the back seat - get yourself some whoppin' 6x9s for back there!

When I was in high school, the coolest kids had the Pioneer Super Tuner.

Under dash, anti theft mount, so you could slide it out and put it in the trunk.

s-l400 (6) (resized).jpgs-l400 (6) (resized).jpg
    #5661 1 year ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

did not even have a cutout in the dash for a radio........

Here is what Japan taught Detroit about making cars:

For your 1970 Ford Bronco, Ford had to inventory two dashes; One with the radio/speaker hole and one without. Today, your Bronco radio-delete-dash would have a speaker grill covering an empty hole.

Detroit did the same with air conditioning ( back in the days when AC was still an option ). Two different dashes had to be inventoried which complicated things, such as, how many AC dashes do we inventory and how many non-AC dashes do we inventory.

Along came the Japanese with just-in-time manufacturing. Did you want the cheaper Honda with no air conditioning? No problem. You still got a dash that had all of the vents the AC dash had. You just did not get all the plumbing that went along with it. Japan saved money because there was only one style of dash to produce and inventory.

Same thing today if you manage to buy a car with no radio/stereo from the factory. It is easy to install aftermarket sound systems because all dash wire harnesses, including the radio-delete units, come equipped with all of the sounds wiring. This lets the factory inventory only one dash wire harness and also just one dash. While previous production methods required four configurations of one dash to be built and inventoried. And don't forget that all of the black, red, blue, and tan dashes had to also be provisioned for.

Dash with no AC and no sounds............... One red, one black, one blue, and one tan....................4 dashes to inventory.

Dash with AC and no sounds.....................ditto.............................................ditto....................ditto...........ditto

Dash with no AC and with sounds..............ditto.............................................ditto....................ditto...........ditto

Dash with AC and with sounds..................ditto..............................................ditto....................ditto...........ditto

==============================================================16 dashes to inventory.

Solution: Build one dash with AC and sounds and 16 dashes comes down to 4 dashes to warehouse. The dash will cost a little more but no warehouse to build and less money to borrow and tie up in inventory.

With that, I think I am ready to play some Trivial Pursuit. . And know that I am closer to riding off into the sunset

#5662 1 year ago

My first car was a 1959 Ford truck. It did'nt have seat belts or even a heater. The heater was a option.

#5663 1 year ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

My first car was a 1959 Ford truck. It did'nt have seat belts or even a heater. The heater was a option.

The passenger seat in my '47 Willys CJ2A was an option......

#5664 1 year ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

We are on a roll here. Did your '59 Ford have vacuum operated windshield wipers so that when you stepped on the gas the engine vacuum went away and the wipers stopped working until you took your foot off of the gas?

Trying to pass someone when it was raining was almost impossible.

1) Step on the gas to pass.

2) Windshield wipers stop working.

3) Can't see shit.

4). Back off of the gas and get back behind the rolling road block that can't drive in the rain.

5) Slow roll to your destination.

#5665 1 year ago

VW Beetle, the windshield washer fluids pressure came from the spare tire. It was a full size spare.

#5666 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

VW Beetle, the windshield washer fluids pressure came from the spare tire. It was a full size spare.

Ingenious. Now you had a reason to keep that spare aired up!

#5667 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

We are on a roll here. Did your '59 Ford have vacuum operated windshield wipers so that when you stepped on the gas the engine vacuum went away and the wipers stopped working until you took your foot off of the gas?
    Trying to pass someone when it was raining was almost impossible.
    1) Step on the gas to pass.
    2) Windshield wipers stop working.
    3) Can't see shit.
    4). Back off of the gas and get back behind the rolling road block that can't drive in the rain.
    5) Slow roll to your destination.

They were electric but really small and of course there was no defroster.

#5668 1 year ago

I saw Johnny Cash live. (With the Carter family)

#5669 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Ingenious. Now you had a reason to keep that spare aired up!

What's really ingenious is the system has a regulator in it; it won't let you use any more air out of the spare tire for your washer fluid once the tire reached it's minimum safe driving pressure!

#5670 1 year ago

In October of 1957 I could stand in my back yard and watch the first artificial satellite " Sputnik " put into orbit by the Soviet Union !

#5671 1 year ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

In October of 1957 I could stand in my back yard and watch the first artificial satellite " Sputnik " put into orbit by the Soviet Union !

I was 5. I remember my mom taking me outside so we could see it. Don't know if we ever saw it, though.

#5672 1 year ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

Damn, you be ode!
    I remember when SkyLab plunged back to Earth, and was visible in the evening sky.

#5673 1 year ago

I can also remember on a nice sunny day hearing a big boom thinking how could that have been thunder ? It's a beautiful day ! It was a Jet breaking the sound barrier . That happened a lot untill they outlawed it !

#5674 1 year ago

You know you’re old if you had to jam the carburetor open with a screwdriver to get your car started on a cold day.

(I’m getting deja vu, so I may have posted that a few years back)

#5675 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m getting deja vu, so I may have posted that a few years back

A sign your getting old.

#5676 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know you’re old if you had to jam the carburetor open with a screwdriver to get your car started on a cold day.

How bout smacking the starter w a hammer..or popping the clutch to get it started

#5677 1 year ago

Another car memory…my dad taught me to drive stick in a ‘75 Vega. We were on a dirt road and we came up on 2 girls heading home from the lake in their bikinis. I stared so hard I started to drift toward them, and my dad grabbed the wheel just in time. Oh, to be 15 again.

#5678 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I never had to do the screwdriver trick. I used to have to pour some gas down the carb to get the car started.

#5679 1 year ago

I definitely remember crawling under my 1963 Impala in the dead of winter, on our frozen gravel driveway, to swap out the starter.

I have other stories about that car, maybe I'll add them to the Memories thread eventually.

#5680 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I definitely remember crawling under my 1963 Impala in the dead of winter, on our frozen gravel driveway, to swap out the starter.
    I have other stories about that car, maybe I'll add them to the Memories thread eventually.

You have my eternal admiration. That job had to have sucked.

#5681 1 year ago

Had to do that on my 69 Charger, those were the days.

#5682 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I had to do that to my first car, a ‘76 Dodge, all the time...even when it wasn’t cold out.

#5683 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

How bout smacking the starter w a hammer..or popping the clutch to get it started

Me and my buddy were on the way home from a bar late one night in our little town of Flat Rock, Michigan.

We see some guys pushing a car in the other direction and realize it's some friends, so we spin around and hop out to see what's up. So they stop, winded as hell, telling us the battery died and they're just pushing it back home, still a good mile and a half away. My buddy says, "This thing is a stick shift, isnt it? Why don't you just kick start it?" Blank stares. So my buddy jumps in, tells them to get it moving, pops the clutch, car starts, and we laugh our asses off.

#5684 1 year ago

My first car was a Suzuki Samurai. The starter died, instead of buying a new one I always parked on inclines to start it the same way! Lol

Quoted from pinzrfun:Me and my buddy were on the way home from a bar late one night in our little town of Flat Rock, Michigan.
    We see some guys pushing a car in the other direction and realize it's some friends, so we spin around and hop out to see what's up. So they stop, winded as hell, telling us the battery died and they're just pushing it back home, still a good mile and a half away. My buddy says, "This thing is a stick shift, isnt it? Why don't you just kick start it?" Blank stares. So my buddy jumps in, tells them to get it moving, pops the clutch, car starts, and we laugh our asses off.

#5685 1 year ago

If are old enough to recall when there was no company called Intel, then you are up there.

Gordon Moore. Of Moore's Law. 94 years old.

He is one of the big reasons we can sit here and hit each other over the head from miles away on our personal computers. Basically, no Intel, no personal computer.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/24/tech/gordon-moore-obituary

"“Integrated circuits will lead to such wonders as home computers - or at least terminals connected to a central computer - automatic controls for automobiles, and personal portable communications equipment,” Moore wrote in his paper, two decades before the PC revolution and more than 40 years before Apple launched the iPhone."

#5686 1 year ago

…every time you tell a bank teller that you’d like your cash withdrawal in “C notes” they look like a dog being shown a magic trick.

#5687 1 year ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

…every time you tell a bank teller that you’d like your cash withdrawal in “C notes” they look like a dog being shown a magic trick.

I don't think they teach Roman Numerals in school anymore.

#5688 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't think they teach Roman Numerals in school anymore.

I was taught Roman numerals back in the 70s, fat lot of good it did me. I knew Benjamins were called C notes, but I never connected those particular dots, and was never curious enough about that idiom to look it up. Now all I can say is, duh!

Still, no one says V notes, X notes, or L notes, so maybe I'm being a little hard on myself.

#5689 1 year ago

I thought they were called " Hundies " .

#5690 1 year ago

Still, no one says V notes, X notes, or L notes, so maybe I'm being a little hard on myself.

I'll take a stab on this slow Sunday moring.

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.31.06 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.31.06 AM (resized).jpg

Notice that Latin is referenced here. Unless you are going to be a Catholic Priest, Latin, like Roman Numerals, is sort of useless. Except that Hollywood sure likes to code its movies in Roman Numerals.

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.36.08 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.36.08 AM (resized).jpg

Slang terms for money from around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slang_terms_for_money

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.42.01 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.42.01 AM (resized).jpg

Lookie here. I did it. I did it. I have always heard that Wikipedia can be edited by anybody. I just did so. I added a slang term for money that I hear occasionally and use myself : Jack. As in, "that is going to be a lotta jack". Lower right corner.

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.50.50 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.50.50 AM (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.43.29 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.43.29 AM (resized).jpg

And speaking of $100.00 cars, look what I got at the grocery store yesterday. For the bargain rate of $9.26 cents, I got a loaf of bread and 2 onions. What did I used get for $100.00? A clean 1954 Chevy. What can I now get for my $100.00? 10 loaves of bread and 20 onions for $92.60. With the change I can buy a couple of candy bars and a small drink

IMG_2693 (resized).JPGIMG_2693 (resized).JPG

#5691 1 year ago

Boobs alert!!!!! Onion boobs?

#5692 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Boobs alert!!!!! Onion boobs?

Hey Bacon, did you ever sit for the Rorschach test ?

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 8.11.14 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-26 at 8.11.14 PM (resized).jpg

What do you see?

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 8.11.33 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-26 at 8.11.33 PM (resized).jpg

#5693 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What do you see?

Woman with small breasts. Woman with big breasts. You with breasts.

LTG : )

#5694 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Hey Bacon, did you ever sit for the Rorschach test ?
    [quoted image]
    What do you see?
    [quoted image]

Honestly a variation of boobs Cotton

#5695 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Woman with small breasts. Woman with big breasts. You with breasts.

Steve Buscimi, Armageddon?

#5696 1 year ago

When back in the day, getting air at the gas station was free..$2 fn bucks now?! Gtfoh..

6A8F30E8-BFD6-44BD-ABEF-8B798F0CC57D (resized).jpeg6A8F30E8-BFD6-44BD-ABEF-8B798F0CC57D (resized).jpeg
    #5697 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Honestly a variation of boobs Cotton

The brassiere producers would have a hard time keeping up with your visions, I do say

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 8.11.33 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-26 at 8.11.33 PM (resized).jpg

Let's try one. I'll start

The Flying Cat from Hell. Or maybe the Bat Outta Hell.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 11.20.08 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-27 at 11.20.08 AM (resized).jpg

I'll give myself two thumb's up.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 11.21.37 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-27 at 11.21.37 AM (resized).jpg

#5698 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The brazier producers would have a hard time keeping up with your visions, I do say

Yeah, he does grill a lot.

#5699 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

When back in the day, getting air at the gas station was free..$2 fn bucks now?! Gtfoh..
    [quoted image]

And of course the obligatory warning that high pressure is involved. Duh!

#5700 1 year ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:…every time you tell a bank teller that you’d like your cash withdrawal in “C notes” they look like a dog being shown a magic trick.

That's because they're amazed someone actually wants cash money! Ask someone under 30 if they carry cash, or coins for that matter.
    Young folks don't care if there is a paper trail for everything they do. Pay cash, no trail

There are 7,609 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/114 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.