Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,609 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,609 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 153.
    #5701 1 year ago

That last ink blot looks like a moth. That's all I've got.

#5703 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The brassiere producers would have a hard time keeping up with your visions, I do say
    [quoted image]
    Let's try one. I'll start
    The Flying Cat from Hell. Or maybe the Bat Outta Hell.
    [quoted image]
    I'll give myself two thumb's up.
    [quoted image]

Thought Same On thumbs up pic...top row far corner pink Floyd the division bell album cover..seriously
    Far bottom left ..ancient Middle eastern cave painting

#5704 1 year ago

Top row 2nd pic
    A dagger lying upon a skinned hide.

#5705 1 year ago

Seahorse chest bump

Sea horse chest bump (resized).pngSea horse chest bump (resized).png
    #5706 1 year ago

We’re here to see Rick Wakeman tonight. Gray and white hair abound. I literally see nobody under 50 here.

54524FC5-42A0-4206-834F-114AA0F70065 (resized).jpeg54524FC5-42A0-4206-834F-114AA0F70065 (resized).jpeg
    #5707 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

Seahorse chest bump
    [quoted image]

I saw seahorses, too.

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Top row 2nd pic

That's a good one.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 7.03.14 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-27 at 7.03.14 PM (resized).jpg

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Far bottom left ..ancient Middle eastern cave painting

I see two well endowed Pygmies trying to pull the crotchless panties from the invisible girl's bikini

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 7.04.23 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-27 at 7.04.23 PM (resized).jpg

#5708 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

top row far corner pink Floyd the division bell album cover..seriously

I could see Division Bell.

I see 3 faces. Two profiles of some guy with a big nose and a face with droopy eyes looking at me. And also, two people sitting at a table playing pat-a-cake.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 7.11.21 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-27 at 7.11.21 PM (resized).jpg

#5709 1 year ago

March 1, 1973. 50 years ago.

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon (resized).pngDark_Side_of_the_Moon (resized).png

#5710 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

We’re here to see Rick Wakeman tonight. Gray and white hair abound. I literally see nobody under 50 here.
    [quoted image]

Saw him here in PHX a few years ago (with the non-Yes-branded version of Yes) He still has all his chops, and still thinks he's utterly hilarious.

Of course, when he walked onstage wearing a sequined cape and playing a Keytar, the crowd went apeshizz. Good times.

Interestingly, plenty of younger folks at that show. (bit still plenty of geezers)

#5711 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

Wakeman. Awesome!
    Funny guy too. Check out his R&R HOF induction speech!

#5712 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

I'm 54. Who the hell is Rick Wakeman? Is he a funny man joke maker?

QSS

#5713 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Wakeman. Awesome!
    Funny guy too. Check out his R&R HOF induction speech!

Funny as ….

#5714 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

Saw Hermans Hermits a few weeks ago, same thing, I was one of the younger ones there and I'm gonna be 59 soon - lol.

No warm up band, show started at 7:30pm and was done at 9pm, we were home at 10pm. He knows his audience.

20230311_190904 (resized).jpg20230311_190904 (resized).jpg
    #5715 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dan_Fielding:

That's because they're amazed someone actually wants cash money! Ask someone under 30 if they carry cash, or coins for that matter.
    Young folks don't care if there is a paper trail for everything they do. Pay cash, no trail

My buddy's wife had a bowl on top of the microwave that they'd toss their credit card receipts in. We'd take turns picking up the tab at our weekly after-work bar stop. I always paid cash.

One day he comes into work and says "So Rachel was going through the receipts last night and asked Did you have fun last night? "Yep" "Who was there, just you and Don?" "Yep" "$110.00?" "Yep" And I thought Damn it, I should have paid cash like Don does lol

No evidence!

#5716 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Saw Hermans Hermits a few weeks ago, same thing, I was one of the younger ones there and I'm gonna be 59 soon - lol.
    No warm up band, show started at 7:30pm and was done at 9pm, we were home at 10pm. He knows his audience.
    [quoted image]

Quite an elaborate stage and lighting.

One can practically smell the wafting marijuana filling the stadium in anticipation of the band walking out.

#5717 1 year ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

QSS

Just a guy who dabbles with the keyboards.

#5718 1 year ago

One of the best

#5719 1 year ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

QSS

Long time ago there was a band called Yes. Made some great music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_(band)

RW was the keyboard player. And still is. He is the old guy in the pics.

https://www.yesworld.com

#5720 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Long time ago there was a band called Yes. Made some great music.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_(band)
    https://www.yesworld.com

Whaddya mean, "was"? They're still going, although the lead singer who made them what they are was ostracized from the band.
    No more original members, although guitarist Steve Howe has been with them almost from the start. They're coming out with a new album in May.

#5721 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Wakeman wasn't the original keyboard player, and wasn't with the band throughout. They've had several other ivory bangers, but I think he's by far the best of all of them.

#5722 1 year ago

You know you are old when you spend 10 minutes reading posts about Rick Wakeman.

#5723 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

He is not their current keyboardist.
    The "old guy" in the picture is Steve Howe.

Screenshot_2023-03-28-09-44-02-1 (resized).pngScreenshot_2023-03-28-09-44-02-1 (resized).png
    #5724 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

One can practically smell the wafting marijuana filling the stadium in anticipation of the band walking out.

LOl...yeah, I bet they can strike that whole thing in about 30 minutes - not exactly KISS stage show.....

46742 (resized).jpeg46742 (resized).jpeg
    #5725 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

LOl...yeah, I bet they can strike that whole thing in about 30 minutes - not exactly KISS stage show.....[quoted image]

(I actually like those old Herman's Hermits songs.)

#5726 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Wakeman wasn't the original keyboard player, and wasn't with the band throughout. They've had several other ivory bangers, but I think he's by far the best of all of them.

Quoted from jrpinball:

He is not their current keyboardist.
    The "old guy" in the picture is Steve Howe.[quoted image]

Thank you. I like Yes but never followed them closely. I did see Yes in 1971 in downtown Dallas at some sort of convention center. I don't really remember the show, other than bassist Chris Squire was wearing some sort of cape.

What I remember was as soon as the house lights went down, the lighters and doobies came out. Doobies were being passed around right and left. This is probably why I don't remember the show This was in Texas. In 1971. Getting busted for weed in Texas in 1971 met you could get a 20 year prison sentence.

Just a few months earlier, I went to see Quicksilver Messenger Service when I was stationed at a military base outside of Memphis. We all sat there like rocks. Nothing was being passed around. Texas was quite a shock.

#5727 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I was surprised how many songs I knew - it was a good show, he's a good entertainer, great sense of humor.

#5728 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

[quoted image]

Quoted from RTS:

Quoted from RTS:

Quoted from pinzrfun:

I was surprised how many songs I knew - it was a good show, he's a good entertainer, great sense of humor.

I am 70. I was in my teenage prime when Herman's Hermits were hot. And they were hot. Not like The Beatles or The Stones, but HH got a lot of airplay and was on all the teenage music shows, like Shindig. Lots of top 40 songs that you could sing along with. Kind of like The Hollies who gave birth to Graham Nash who went on to super group Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

I have wondered once in awhile what happened to Peter Noone. The one time I saw him was, maybe 30-35 years ago, and he was on the car show circuit; I can't remember why he was there; He did not sing, but he was facing all of in the portable bleachers. I kind of felt sorry for him for being reduced to the car show circuit. Nice to see he is still around making music.

#5729 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Chris Squire was wearing some sort of cape.

Wakeman was famous for wearing a cape on stage. Maybe he got the idea from Squire.

#5730 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I am 70. I was in my teenage prime when Herman's Hermits were hot. And they were hot. Not like The Beatles or The Stones, but HH got a lot of airplay and was on all the teenage music shows, like Shindig. Lots of top 40 songs that you could sing along with. Kind of like The Hollies who gave birth to Graham Nash who went on to super group Crosby, Stills, and Nash.
    I have wondered once in awhile what happened to Peter Noone. The one time I saw him was, maybe 30-35 years ago, and he was on the car show circuit; I can't remember why he was there; He did not sing, but he was facing all of in the portable bleachers. I kind of felt sorry for him for being reduced to the car show circuit. Nice to see he is still around making music.

My date was 66, she said had the hots for Peter Noone back in the day.

He kinda poked fun at their position in today's music scene - "So tomorrow, we'll be in Angola, Indiana...I can recall being a young up-and-coming band, talking with Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney and dreaming of when we'd all be able to play Angola, Indiana....."

Seriously, he was very appreciative of the audience and looked like he was still having fun after all these years. That goes for the band, too.

#5731 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

My date was 66

Like those older women, do you? At 70, I am looking towards the younger women

Yeah, HH was hot when a lot of music was the teenybopper stuff. The bubblegum crowd. Your date would have been around 10 years old This was before the Hippies and Marijuana hit the scene.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the music changed when The Doors released Light my Fire. There were 2 versions of LMF. AM radio was playing the short version. FM was playing the long version with the cool keyboard solo. The long version won out and forced AM radio's hand.

#5732 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Like those older women, do you? At 70, I am looking towards the younger women

lol....i thought it would be easier, but she runs circles around me.......

#5733 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

lol....i thought it would be easier, but she runs circles around me.......

Ride'em Cowboy

#5734 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Top row 2nd pic

In all fairness to me, stupid auto correct spelled laying incorrectly. It bugs me.

#5735 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

In all fairness to me, stupid auto correct spelled laying incorrectly. It bugs me.

Actually, "lying" is correct. "Laying" is a verb - you lay something down. An object lies on another object.

#5736 1 year ago

Rick Wakeman was very entertaining between songs. He told jokes that he allegedly got from his preteen grandkids, and talked about his first music teacher’s “enormous…funbags”. Just an amazing musician, to still be playing flawlessly at 73. It occurred to me that he was playing songs from an album that is now 50 years old. Incredible.

#5737 1 year ago

I saw Yes at least 5 times before 1983. Could be up to 7 times, but my memory of that era is kinda foggy

#5738 1 year ago

I remember seeing the Rolling Stones in 1989 for the Steel Wheels tour. I thought they were ancient back then. I'll be 55 this year, so I'm feeling over the hill. Things started going down hill for sure when I hit 45 years old.

#5739 1 year ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

I saw Yes at least 5 times before 1983. Could be up to 7 times, but my memory of that era is kinda foggy

Ha-ha, my first real concert was Yes back in 1976. I was 12 at the time. My parents took me @ the Cumberland County Civic Center (CCCC)newly built in Portland Me. I asked them what that funny smell was? Of course I would find out soon enough later seeing the likes of Foghat, Joe Walsh, Ozzy, etc. during my high-school years... My mom taught a course on current music in my school and we got to listen to stuff like this.

SixWives_Wakeman_Album (resized).jpgSixWives_Wakeman_Album (resized).jpg
    #5740 1 year ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Ha-ha, my first real concert was Yes back in 1976. I was 12 at the time. My parents took me @ the Cumberland County Civic Center (CCCC)newly built in Portland Me. I asked them what that funny smell was? Of course I would find out soon enough later seeing the likes of Foghat, Joe Walsh, Ozzy, etc. during my high-school years... My mom taught a course on current music in my school and we got to listen to stuff like this.
    [quoted image]

Love that album. Earthshaking bass on the cut with the pipe organ!
    The Cat Stevens song, "Morning Has Broken" used an adaptation of the melody from "Catherine Howard" (The Six Wives of Henry VIII). Rick Wakeman arranged and played it on that song, but Stevens didn't even credit him. Stevens didn't write the words either. It's a Christian hymn written by Eleanor Farjeon, and first published in 1931.

#5741 1 year ago

I always wondered whether Cat/Yusuf/Cat was bothered by the fact that his other biggest hit was a cover of a Sam Cooke song. Both Morning Has Broken and Another Saturday Night peaked at number 6, and now you tell me he didn't write the other one either? Ooh, burn!

#5742 1 year ago

But in fairness to Cat, he wrote “The First Cut is the Deepest” and Rod Stewart is the guy who made it a hit. I always felt a pretty deep connection to his music growing up (same with James Taylor and Jim Croce). Great music if you were a kid learning guitar in the 70’s.

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I always wondered whether Cat/Yusuf/Cat was bothered by the fact that his other biggest hit was a cover of a Sam Cooke song. Both Morning Has Broken and Another Saturday Night peaked at number 6, and now you tell me he didn't write the other one either? Ooh, burn!

#5743 1 year ago

Did you ever go to a concert and they handed out earplugs? This band "Indigenous" was freakin loud. This was the small theatre we saw them at.

#5744 1 year ago

I still have his Journey to the Centre of the Earth album! Thanks for reminding me!

51AF2553-F338-412D-9B4B-3BB7F319A3BD (resized).jpeg51AF2553-F338-412D-9B4B-3BB7F319A3BD (resized).jpeg
    #5745 1 year ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

I still have his Journey to the Centre of the Earth album! Thanks for reminding me!
    [quoted image]

Break out the Koss Headphones ...

#5746 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Did you ever go to a concert and they handed out earplugs?

Yes -- The King of surf guitar - Dick Dale, @ Squirrel's tavern in Corvallis, Oregon.
    What a fantastic show!

#5747 1 year ago

https://www.facebook.com/100064674912680/posts/pfbid0SEDTDW35vmuS7DnntPWyc7B3U7VgQaFo8cyDbBw488HWuK8ardMx2Ptwy8PCKPwtl/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Speak of the devil and he shall appear......at Bearsville Theatre that is!
    (for those not on FB)

Screenshot_20230402-195230_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230402-195230_Facebook (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #5748 1 year ago

"Al Jaffee, record-breaking Mad Magazine cartoonist, dies age 102"

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/al-jaffee-dies-intl-scli/index.html

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#5749 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

Aw, man. RIP.

#5750 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

Too bad. Mr Jaffee was a key contributer of MAD magazine.
    His "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" always cracked me up.
    I LOVED satire and sarcasm. As I grew up I found some good
    inspiration from these:
    MAD magazine
    Archie Bunker
    Don Rickles
    Bugs Bunny

There are 7,609 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/115 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.