IMG_6225 (resized).jpg
IMG_6205 (resized).jpg
IMG_6204 (resized).jpg
IMG_6203 (resized).jpg
IMG_4527 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4528 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,856 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 278.
#201 4 years ago

What did JJP say about their rollout schedule?
I read SE in 60 days, CE then LE?

Hoping a few will be avail to flip at our local show @ GSPF mid May.

#202 4 years ago

Have to say, I'm not hugely overwhelmed, on first sight.

Layout and the way it shoots look absolutely excellent, with lots to do, even if there aren't any outstanding toys or features, unlike their previous games.

Code and rules seem good, particularly for a debut lead, as Joe Katz is, even if much was missing on the prototypes.

$7500 is an attention grabber, but are you really getting more for your money than DI at $8k or PotC at $8.5k? Not really IMO, but it's more about how the pricing compares to the competition.

The display seems very static (more like Stern's offerings), with the alive chocolate factory I was hoping for apparently absent. There weren't too many of J.P. de Win's trademark showreel animation sequences. Not much from the movie, either. I don't think what's shown on the screen compares too well with any of their previous offerings yet. Hopefully that will change.

Music ... it got tiring quickly. Little variety in either the scores used, or sound effects. Call outs seemed lacking or not implemented. It may improve, but on first airing I don't think this is particularly great compared with Granner and Thiel's prior efforts. Even if I disagree with and don't like the choice of Muzak style 'elevator music' in DI, I still appreciate the craft. Not so much here.

Cabinet and backglass art are unfinished looking on the Standard, and pretty ugly to me. They look good on the LE and CE. In my view they should change it. Playfield art they could have done a bit more with, but it does the job.

Regarding the SE vs LE vs CE proposition, I feel it's going to be quite difficult for anyone who considers a budget to justify the LE over the SE on anything besides the look of the decals. $2k is a huge jump for powder coat, headphone jack / volume control, glass, a relatively peripheral lock, and a shaker motor - the decals are identical, just prettier. CE, it seems to offer a lot less than the PotC CE did .. so is there going to be a market for 500 of them?

Hope a few changes will be made, particularly re: the SE's cabinet and backglass art, and that the audio visual stuff is just a reflection of its early state.

--

One to watch currently, rather than turn somersaults about, I feel. That said, it'll probably sell faster than all their prior games, by some margin, if they can actually make good on the production plan they've outlined. People don't like waiting.

#203 4 years ago

So if this is the official club thread then let it be that. Reviews and opinions would be much more suitable for the other Wonka threads. Let the people that like and are going to or have purchased this pin have a thread to share their like view points and excitement in. There are plenty of cherrios to piss on some where else. So going forward if we could make this thread more about the owners. Everyone is intitled to their opinion and how they spend their money, but there is a time and place. So now is the time to exit if your not buying. Thank you everyone in advance for your understanding.

#204 4 years ago

I also like some of the little details, for example the bonus multiplier count (Wonka Bars) being represented in throwback style by inserts, no need to look at the LCD to see this. The Wonka tower, showing progress spelling WONKA, that could have just been more inserts, but is instead on a 3D feature. And the tiny candy LED clusters, the light show/effects created with these were pretty cool and unique.
8BDEB56F-C562-4378-BE9E-2A606B430D07 (resized).jpeg8BDEB56F-C562-4378-BE9E-2A606B430D07 (resized).jpeg

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

So if this is the official club thread then let it be that. Reviews and opinions would be much more suitable for the other Wonka threads. Let the people that like and are going to or have purchased this pin have a thread to share their like view points and excitement in. There are plenty of cherrios to piss on some where else. So going forward if we could make this thread more about the owners. Everyone is intitled to their opinion and how they spend their money, but there is a time and place. So now is the time to exit if your not buying. Thank you everyone in advance for your understanding.

In my view there should be only one thread. It's a mess otherwise. It's that way for most games after an initial flurry pre and post announcement anyway.

You seem to be advocating an echo chamber though.

#206 4 years ago

Nah ... just a troll free zone. Let those who are ordering or eagerly waiting to play one enjoy it. A club thread is not the place for it.

#207 4 years ago

No just a place where owners can share their excitement. Obviously we are all like minded and opposing views probably are not needed or necessary. I know this happens but it's kind of trolling. I think a club thread is just that and other threads where different opinions can be shared are great. Again time and place. After a reveal the dust must settle and everyone should find the appropriate thread for them. I'm a owner essentially through my deposit just like I was with the Big Lebowski. That being said I'm sure now you can understand that we all want to celebrate and share our excitement. All others should look for a different thread or be proud that they are trolling.

#208 4 years ago

My son and I played it (that's right, PLAYED it, not just watched some videos) and it's solid. Nothing that knocks your socks off, but...*gasp*....FUN!

Seriously, I had a smile on my face the entire time I played it. As soon as my game was done, I wanted more.

As for the new Black Knight....played one game and walked away.

#209 4 years ago

Knowing they are making up to 500 CE models, do you think NIB would still be available 12 months from now?

#210 4 years ago

It looks like it has a good flow to it. With the extra flippers, magnets, and a spinner it seems like how could you go wrong. Like others that had crazy ideas of the hype running through their minds I too thought it would be more. After seeing it I realized that it wasn't like when WOZ came out and stunned all of us. Instead saw it for what it is. A great pin to add to the collection that offered enough for me at a price point that was acceptable with a good theme. I'm very excited to be able to have and play hopefully soon.

#211 4 years ago

That's a large number so quite possibly yes. IMO

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from Greenandwhite:

Knowing they are making up to 500 CE models, do you think NIB would still be available 12 months from now?

And 12 months after that

They sold 100 POTCCE approx

Maybe 200 here?

I’ve got $$ down from POTCCE rollover but debating until I see pf art and what topper does

#213 4 years ago

I can’t figure it out. How does the captive ball stay captive? It looks like the bottom right is open, so the pinball should just roll out.

#215 4 years ago

Hoping someone comes up with an aftermarket gobstopper plunger. Love the look of the one on the CE.

#216 4 years ago

I'm very interested in all the mods that may be made for this pin. There are some very creative people in this community. Can't wait to see some unboxing photos as we all await our turn to enjoy this pin.

#217 4 years ago

By the way I did place an order for my LE! Wife and I played as much as we could but the lines are getting long even with 6-7 machines to play!

#218 4 years ago
Quoted from Greenandwhite:

Nah ... just a troll free zone. Let those who are ordering or eagerly waiting to play one enjoy it. A club thread is not the place for it.

That guy gave an honest and lengthy opinion. He never came across as a troll.

#219 4 years ago

The wonka theme doesnt really strike a chord with me and I find the gobstopper toy to be kind of an ugly over sized one but omg the way this game plays looks great. The upper flipper shots look mighty satisfying. I cant wait to give this a try. Not a big fan of widebodies so JJP finally has my attention with this one. If this layout were on a theme that spoke to me more i would be all over this one.

#220 4 years ago

Well, we have decided. We placed an order with our distributor for the CE version. We are really sold on JJP games. We flirted with getting an OKT but no more. WONKA is a clear winner to us.

#221 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And 12 months after that
They sold 100 POTCCE approx
Maybe 200 here?
I’ve got $$ down from POTCCE rollover but debating until I see pf art and what topper does

The ce powder coat is gorgeous buddy(like a mirror)... also the mirrored backglass and radcals look stunning. Im in for a le but possibly a ce... gonna check it out in Allentown to decide

#222 4 years ago

I’m still in on a CE... but it would be nice to see what the CE’s playfield, apron, and side art blades are going to look like.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The ce powder coat is gorgeous buddy(like a mirror)... also the mirrored backglass and radcals look stunning. Im in for a le but possibly a ce... gonna check it out in Allentown to decide

Well that's what I'm hearing from my man on the ground. Are you there BigD?

He says the pictures don't do it justice.

I'll have to revise my earlier estimate of POTCCE's based on what someone relayed to me who hasn't steered me wrong! Probably closer to 200

So maybe they get close on Wonka CE? 400?

We pinheads can justify anything can't we?

#224 4 years ago

Did I see the Ompa limps has a little flash light in his hand that flashes?

#225 4 years ago

I’m in on an LE- but I want to know more on the CE-

Sparkly Playfield - want to see that, not too fussed about the shooter- it will be copied.

The Apron sounds interesting- Backglass-
There is a HUGE screen in the middle of it- not bothered on that one.

What doe the *More surprises entail!!?

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I’m in on an LE- but I want to know more on the CE-
Sparkly Playfield - want to see that, not too fussed about the shooter- it will be copied.
The Apron sounds interesting- Backglass-
There is a HUGE screen in the middle of it- not bothered on that one.
What doe the *More surprises entail!!?

Unofficially - in the works, to have CEs signed by original cast members of the Wonka film.

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Unofficially - in the works, to have CEs signed by original cast members of the Wonka film.

If they end up putting a bunch of sloppy looking signatures on there, using 3-4 different ink colors and thicknesses (like how they were signing Munsters prints at TPF), it would have me thinking about dropping down to an LE.

If they do it like they did with the Emerald Green WoZ, I'm all for it.

#228 4 years ago

So how much different will this game end up being from yesterday’s reveal to final production? More movie scenes, callouts , cabinet art changes( SE).? I was a tad underwhelmed given the hype.

#229 4 years ago

I really like the game. The Wonkavator lock reminds me of something like the gumball machine in TZ. The shots totally seem great. What I'm wondering is about the rules, which is what will come out more as time goes by. There are factory modes but then it seems there are computer modes (Candy Man, Dots! Dots! Dots!), and Captive Ball modes (Store Room, Gum Chewing, Wanka Wash Frenzy). Just curious if those are actual modes to complete or just scoring areas. I want to make sure the rules utilize the whole game and all of the shots so that it's addictively interesting to make it a home game. Here's hoping!

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

I really like the game. The Wonkavator lock reminds me of something like the gumball machine in TZ. The shots totally seem great. What I'm wondering is about the rules, which is what will come out more as time goes by. There are factory modes but then it seems there are computer modes (Candy Man, Dots! Dots! Dots!), and Captive Ball modes (Store Room, Gum Chewing, Wanka Wash Frenzy). Just curious if those are actual modes to complete or just scoring areas. I want to make sure the rules utilize the whole game and all of the shots so that it's addictively interesting to make it a home game. Here's hoping!

Here is a report that goes into the rules quite a bit. They sound really good with lots of ways to approach the game.

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-deep-dive-overview-rules-features-images-more/

#231 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I agree. I may buy used. This should be the number of units made:
Standard - unlimited
LE's - 1,000
CE's - 200

They made 2500 dialed in “le’s” why would that change now?

#232 4 years ago

Just put 314,000 on the CE machine. Game definitely needs to be leveled better, and being able to hear what's going on would help as well. Flippers felt a little weak, but I could still make all the shots.

Man, does this game flow well.

#233 4 years ago

Lot of game for $7500. Not sure where the CE justifies an additional $5k.

#234 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

You could damn near buy a BKSOR Pro for the difference.

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

It doesn't. BUT we can justify anything.

Throw some original cast autos in there and a bag of candy I'm in.

#236 4 years ago

SDTM on the Inside: Pat Lawlor on Creating Modern Pinball

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Hoping someone comes up with an aftermarket gobstopper plunger. Love the look of the one on the CE.

Already asked if JJP would install one in my SE. no dice it sounds like.

#238 4 years ago
Quoted from Habermania:

There might be licensing issues with selling over 500 of these, or maybe they just want their CEs to have unique features

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from Habermania:

Will be super easy and cheap to make ..

#240 4 years ago
Quoted from Habermania:

You'll have you're choice of about 5 aftermarket ones that look and play identical.

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Will be super easy and cheap to make ..

Quoted from MikeS:

You'll have you're choice of about 5 aftermarket ones that look and play identical.

Looking forward to seeing the mods for this one.

#242 4 years ago

I’m looking forward to the mods for the empty ball lock shelf on the SE. It is begging for something fun looking on that empty shelf. The SE is a great deal at $7500. I’m in.

#243 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM on the Inside: Pat Lawlor on Creating Modern Pinball

BTW- Nice job on the video. I think you'll look back at it one day and be thankful (and proud) you did it. #legend

#244 4 years ago

I am working with Buffalo Pinball to help them cut out some highlights from their live stream, including Pat Lawlor's first livetreamed play of any game, a GC game by Keith Johnson, and an in close camera highlight walkthrough with Joe Katz. Links coming...

#245 4 years ago

I guess I am going to be the guy, but I can’t wait to get this pin!! This looks like Wonka!! The ramps look sweet, four flippers, magnets everywhere and an amazing light show!! As well as a wonka vision that put you on the playfield, a great use of the camera!! Let’s not forget the subways, wonka lock in the back and the gobstopper mechanism. Throw in JJP’s ability to create an immersive experience. It is only going to get better from here.

#246 4 years ago

Has anyone posted a shot map? I don’t understand what is happening underneath the display.

Also where are all the magnets and what impact do they have? The only one at noticed was for the L upper flipper.

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Has anyone posted a shot map? I don’t understand what is happening underneath the display.
Also where are all the magnets and what impact do they have? The only one at noticed was for the L upper flipper.

The magnets are smaller and make minor path and flow changes or in some case freeze the ball entirely. Haven’t seen a shot map yet.

#248 4 years ago
6424d3ad55c21bbc1267f47f1c6d3f8dc48b3eee (resized).jpeg6424d3ad55c21bbc1267f47f1c6d3f8dc48b3eee (resized).jpeg
#249 4 years ago

Anybody know what the "more surprises" are with the CE version?

#250 4 years ago

CE comes with a lifetime supply of chocolate.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
There are 13,856 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 278.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.